UB Applicants 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how many Early Assurance students they accepted earlier this week?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how many Early Assurance students they accepted earlier this week?

they go pretty easy with early assurance people, there were probably 65 EA interviewed; I believe all of them are conditionally accepted unless anyone said something really really stupid!! That means as long as they keep a 3.5 GPA, they are in.

they go pretty easy with early assurance people, there were probably 65 EA interviewed; I believe all of them are conditionally accepted unless anyone said something really really stupid!! That means as long as they keep a 3.5 GPA, they are in.
Not all of them. I knew a couple people who had the 3.5 gpa and were rejected even though they were early assurance (this was a couple years ago). Also, I heard the interview counts more than it has in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh wow, I didn't realize there were that many EA... I was thinking more around 30-40...

Makes me even more nervous for my interview on the 29th that they [apparently] accepted that many so far... :scared:

Oh wow, I didn't realize there were that many EA... I was thinking more around 30-40...

Makes me even more nervous for my interview on the 29th that they [apparently] accepted that many so far... :scared:

I think every year, they may have set a maximum number of acceptance for EA people maybe around 65; Last year 53% of 125 students are from EA. Out of total interviewed EA, I heard that only 1 was rejected due to the performance in interview and probably two others were because of failing to sustain 3.5; Well that is the advantage of being a Early Assurance, however, for regular applicants, getting a interview is about half way there!! good luck on the interview!!

Not all of them. I knew a couple people who had the 3.5 gpa and were rejected even though they were early assurance (this was a couple years ago). Also, I heard the interview counts more than it has in the past.

I don't believe the interview counts more than it has in the past. This year it is only one on one for EA and about 30 minutes. comparing to regular, 2 on 1 and 45 minutes!!!

I think every year, they may have set a maximum number of acceptance for EA people maybe around 65; Last year 53% of 125 students are from EA. Out of total interviewed EA, I heard that only 1 was rejected due to the performance in interview and probably two others were because of failing to sustain 3.5; Well that is the advantage of being a Early Assurance, however, for regular applicants, getting a interview is about half way there!! good luck on the interview!!

Thanks! :) do you have an interview? If it's on the 29th, maybe I will see you there. If not, best of luck to you, too.

Overall interview experience was great! I liked the school alot. The teachers and students were all excited about their program. I don't know how well my interview went though, I guess only time will tell

Hope you all did good on your interviews! I saw all the random signs for directions around campus today for you "Pharm.D candidates".

On a lighter note, anyone put off by the hall that goes from NSC to Hochstetter that's closed off with "WARNING ASBESTOS HAZARD"? I chortled hard when I saw that this semester. It's normally a nice glass hallway.

Overall interview experience was great! I liked the school alot. The teachers and students were all excited about their program. I don't know how well my interview went though, I guess only time will tell

Hope you did well! I wish you the best of luck. Were any of the questions unexpected?

I do have to say that the tour was very dissapointing. They showed most of the campus except for the actual portion where you will have most of your classes/labs. Not sure why they would leave out all of the important parts.

According to interview feedback, it is open file. Do they specifically ask you about your grades? Like why did you get a C in this class?

K folks its time for my rant...I'm not ever one to complain about things, but I had a horrible experience w. my interview Jan 22. First, the tour was of the entire campus, I have NO clue where the classes for pharm are held or the labs?? When I went in for my interview, the guy was outside on the phone, and the girl was inside sleeping. After knocking on the door and waking her up, we sat for 10 straight min and talked (awkward, considering I felt like she was analyzing every word I said)...Finally the guy finishes his phone call. I ask her if this is open or closed file, she says "Open, we had your information for a week, but I didn't look at it, I don't like to do that"....Sweet.......
Anyways halfway through my hour interview, the door behind me keeps opening and closing about 5 times, someone kept trying to come in, so I'm almost done with my answer and the guy stops me and says "Wait, what was the question again? I was so distracted by the door I wasn't listening".....Sweet.......
So 10 minutes later I'm answering another question, and the guys phone goes off in his pocket while he proceeds to take it out and see who it is.....Sweet.....
Altogether it was extremely unprofessional the way things were handled....I understand the interviewers are taking their time out to interview, BUT if you are going to interview, they need to take into consideration how important this is to us, and take the time to look at our file, come on time, TURN THEIR PHONE OFF....etc.....At this point the only reason I would want to attend this school is simply for the cheap tuition...Wow I'm done, signing off for the night!
P.S.-Hopefully some others had a better experience than I did!

Members don't see this ad :)
K folks its time for my rant...I'm not ever one to complain about things, but I had a horrible experience w. my interview Jan 22. First, the tour was of the entire campus, I have NO clue where the classes for pharm are held or the labs?? When I went in for my interview, the guy was outside on the phone, and the girl was inside sleeping. After knocking on the door and waking her up, we sat for 10 straight min and talked (awkward, considering I felt like she was analyzing every word I said)...Finally the guy finishes his phone call. I ask her if this is open or closed file, she says "Open, we had your information for a week, but I didn't look at it, I don't like to do that"....Sweet.......
Anyways halfway through my hour interview, the door behind me keeps opening and closing about 5 times, someone kept trying to come in, so I'm almost done with my answer and the guy stops me and says "Wait, what was the question again? I was so distracted by the door I wasn't listening".....Sweet.......
So 10 minutes later I'm answering another question, and the guys phone goes off in his pocket while he proceeds to take it out and see who it is.....Sweet.....
Altogether it was extremely unprofessional the way things were handled....I understand the interviewers are taking their time out to interview, BUT if you are going to interview, they need to take into consideration how important this is to us, and take the time to look at our file, come on time, TURN THEIR PHONE OFF....etc.....At this point the only reason I would want to attend this school is simply for the cheap tuition...Wow I'm done, signing off for the night!
P.S.-Hopefully some others had a better experience than I did!
I'm sorry your experience was so bad, but I can help with the bold. I'm going to assume the interview was held in Cooke Hall (that's where we meet to check in at least). Currently, the classes are all over. The biomedical sciences (biochem, physiology, pharmacology) are on south campus. Medicinal Chemistry was in NSC (Natural Sciences Complex). THe classes within the school of pharmacy were mostly in Cooke and maybe a couple in NSC (my roommate is in pharmacy school and I'm trying to remember where the classes were). I know there is a computer lounge for pharmacy students in the basement of Cooke. I'd assume the labs were held in Cooke also (not sure though).
However, soon the school of pharmacy will be moving to south campus. There, it will be closer to the med and dental schools. It does make sense to put it with all the other health sciences (plus we wouldn't have to go back and forth between campuses). The biomedical sciences would still stay in their respective places but all the pharmacy classes would move into the new building.

Nice to know that there was a tour though. I will definitely be skipping that if possible (I don't think anyone will be too offended). Was it after the interview/essay?

So anyone else who had their interview on Friday sitting around checking their email all the time this morning?

I'm sorry your experience was so bad, but I can help with the bold. I'm going to assume the interview was held in Cooke Hall (that's where we meet to check in at least). Currently, the classes are all over. The biomedical sciences (biochem, physiology, pharmacology) are on south campus. Medicinal Chemistry was in NSC (Natural Sciences Complex). THe classes within the school of pharmacy were mostly in Cooke and maybe a couple in NSC (my roommate is in pharmacy school and I'm trying to remember where the classes were). I know there is a computer lounge for pharmacy students in the basement of Cooke. I'd assume the labs were held in Cooke also (not sure though).
However, soon the school of pharmacy will be moving to south campus. There, it will be closer to the med and dental schools. It does make sense to put it with all the other health sciences (plus we wouldn't have to go back and forth between campuses). The biomedical sciences would still stay in their respective places but all the pharmacy classes would move into the new building.

Nice to know that there was a tour though. I will definitely be skipping that if possible (I don't think anyone will be too offended). Was it after the interview/essay?
Thanks for the help. Here's the quick breakdown of the day,
1. Check in
2. Welcome Presentation (30 min)
3. Writing Sample (20 min)
4. Then we were broken up into three groups, A,B,C...Group A in this order has Interview, Group Activity, then Campus Tour.
Group B in this order-Campus Tour, Interview, Group Activity
Group C in this order-Group Activity, Campus Tour, Interview
Then the last 15-30 min was designated for everyone getting together for food and drinks. I was in Group C so I had to stay because I was the last person to interview for the day. If you are in Group A, you could probably leave after the group activity. I left after the interview and didn't stay for food bc I had to get to work.Hope this helps

So anyone else who had their interview on Friday sitting around checking their email all the time this morning?
Won't we find out via a phone call? Didn't they say we should hear back by Weds, or Fri at the very latest? But regardless, I'm still checking my email constantly and keeping my phone near by. Unfortunately bc of my interview experience, I'm not expecting good news

Won't we find out via a phone call? Didn't they say we should hear back by Weds, or Fri at the very latest? But regardless, I'm still checking my email constantly and keeping my phone near by. Unfortunately bc of my interview experience, I'm not expecting good news

They reply via email!!!!!!!! :highfive::clap::thumbup::D

Congrats...I have no email...I guess that tells me their answer...but congrats again you deserve it

Congrats...I have no email...I guess that tells me their answer...but congrats again you deserve it

I haven't gotten an e-mail either...do you really think this is equivalent to a rejection?

I also remember them saying wednesday, friday, or the following monday, so I'd wait till then before assuming rejection.

What group were you in?

I was in group A. I was the one that went to UB as an undergrad and commuted from rochester. Good luck to everyone else hopefully more good news will start coming in throughout the rest of the day and this week. I think that you will hear either way at least with a waitlist so I wouldn't assume that you aren't in.

I was in group A. I was the one that went to UB as an undergrad and commuted from rochester. Good luck to everyone else hopefully more good news will start coming in throughout the rest of the day and this week. I think that you will hear either way at least with a waitlist so I wouldn't assume that you aren't in.
Congrats kid, its a great school.. the email they sent to me this morning was a rejection one so I was a little disappointed. I was in Group B with the brown hair, coat, and pants. I'm glad that you got in though, well done.
To all those wondering, if you don't hear back from them until the 7th or 8th day after the interview, that's cuz they're considering you more. I got on the waitlist last year and it took them a while to send that email last year. I unfortunately got an email in the end saying there wasn't any waitlist movement.

sorry for your terrible experience. Hope everything will turn out ok.

by the way, what's group activity? is it still a part of the interview?

Thanks for the help. Here's the quick breakdown of the day,
1. Check in
2. Welcome Presentation (30 min)
3. Writing Sample (20 min)
4. Then we were broken up into three groups, A,B,C...Group A in this order has Interview, Group Activity, then Campus Tour.
Group B in this order-Campus Tour, Interview, Group Activity
Group C in this order-Group Activity, Campus Tour, Interview
Then the last 15-30 min was designated for everyone getting together for food and drinks. I was in Group C so I had to stay because I was the last person to interview for the day. If you are in Group A, you could probably leave after the group activity. I left after the interview and didn't stay for food bc I had to get to work.Hope this helps

Congrats kid, its a great school.. the email they sent to me this morning was a rejection one so I was a little disappointed. I was in Group B with the brown hair, coat, and pants. I'm glad that you got in though, well done.
To all those wondering, if you don't hear back from them until the 7th or 8th day after the interview, that's cuz they're considering you more. I got on the waitlist last year and it took them a while to send that email last year. I unfortunately got an email in the end saying there wasn't any waitlist movement.
I'm confused by your post. You said you received a rejection email today, but at the bottom of your signature it says "UB-Waitlisted (very upbeat though)".....So what exactly did your email say today? Rejection or waitlist? .....I was in Group C....Will-I was the one sitting next to you on your right during the introduction...

Last edited:
sorry for your terrible experience. Hope everything will turn out ok.

by the way, what's group activity? is it still a part of the interview?
For the group activity we were put into groups of 4-5 and given a scenario, had 20 min to get our presentation together, and then a 10 min presentation...Not really a big deal at all, everyone is really nice, and there are really no wrong or right answers

:scared:
It sounds a little scary to me b/c I'm an international student. :p
For the group activity we were put into groups of 4-5 and given a scenario, had 20 min to get our presentation together, and then a 10 min presentation...Not really a big deal at all, everyone is really nice, and there are really no wrong or right answers

Unless you're will7678, the super student.

Got accepted!

The hard part's over for me. Now just have to take the LSAT for the Pharmd/JD degree...

Got accepted!

The hard part's over for me. Now just have to take the LSAT for the Pharmd/JD degree...

Congrats!!! I was considering that as well. I figure I will at least take the LSAT this summer so that it is an option for me to apply for that first year if I want to.

Got accepted!

Congrats buddy, you got some nice stats. Were u the one in the first row during the intro presentation?

Got accepted!

congrats. I'm planning on the same thing

Correction, I just got an acceptance email.
congrats!
I got in!!!!!!!!! Holy s### .......See you guys in the Fall!
congrats. all that negativity for nothing lol

I got an acceptance email as well! I'm pretty excited. I wasn't sure how well my interview really went. I was in group B...

congrats. I'm planning on the same thing

congrats!

congrats. all that negativity for nothing lol

I got an acceptance email as well! I'm pretty excited. I wasn't sure how well my interview really went. I was in group B...

Congrats!!! I did some digging on my interviewer. The lady who was sleeping had the flu 2 days prior, so I guess I'll give her a break for catching some shut eye! Question for all you pharmD/JD overacheivers (JK)...I did some looking around and the people I have talked to or heard about with the dual PharmD/JD degree either solely practice as pharmacist OR as a lawyer. I haven't heard of anybody having the ability to incorporate both degrees. Also, the salary is practically the same of a person who has either a PharmD or Law degree alone. I have to be misinformed right? What career opportunities are there in which you can use both degrees together on a regular basis? Sorry if it's a dumb question Thanks

I got in!!!!!!!!! Holy s### .......See you guys in the Fall!
That's nice, congratss! Glad to see someone as excited as you, I know I would be if it happened to me lol

That's nice, congratss! Glad to see someone as excited as you, I know I would be if it happened to me lol

Hey! I'm sorry you didn't get in to UB :( I see that you have an interview at SJF though, I think you will love it there and if you get in, you won't miss UB one bit :)

Question for all you pharmD/JD overacheivers (JK)...I did some looking around and the people I have talked to or heard about with the dual PharmD/JD degree either solely practice as pharmacist OR as a lawyer. I haven't heard of anybody having the ability to incorporate both degrees. Also, the salary is practically the same of a person who has either a PharmD or Law degree alone. I have to be misinformed right? What career opportunities are there in which you can use both degrees together on a regular basis? Sorry if it's a dumb question Thanks

Find out how much a pharmaceutical patent attorney makes (last I looked it's $150k starting and that's on the low end)

Or how much a pharmaceutical law consultant/attorney makes (I've been looking, haven't found hard data)

I don't even care if it's the same money, it's the extra JD behind your name that makes it worthwhile for me lol

Congrats!!! I did some digging on my interviewer. The lady who was sleeping had the flu 2 days prior, so I guess I'll give her a break for catching some shut eye! Question for all you pharmD/JD overacheivers (JK)...I did some looking around and the people I have talked to or heard about with the dual PharmD/JD degree either solely practice as pharmacist OR as a lawyer. I haven't heard of anybody having the ability to incorporate both degrees. Also, the salary is practically the same of a person who has either a PharmD or Law degree alone. I have to be misinformed right? What career opportunities are there in which you can use both degrees together on a regular basis? Sorry if it's a dumb question Thanks
I don't know about salary, but as far as the options, UB has a few listed on their website.
http://www.pharmacy.buffalo.edu/school_degrees_granted.shtml#combined_degrees
If you click on the PharmD/JD link it will bring up a .pdf with a little more info.

...just go for it! lol