UB Applicants 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait listed for the second year in a row:(:(

It was weird - I got the wait list email and another email saying they got confirmation that I accepted the wait list offer even though I had not at that point.

I remember last year's wait list so I'm gonna guess I'll be somewhere else next fall :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A question about money:

UB considers us undergraduate for P1. Does this mean that we would not qualify for gradPLUS loans during this year? If so, would we be able to receive enough stafford loans to cover the cost of study?

I'm confused, why would you apply for gradPLUS loans when the interest rate is 10%. Aren't the federal loans offered through fafsa 6.8% interest rate, and since they are federal, they are elligible for student loan forgiveness after 10 years (under certain circumstances), whereas the private stafford loans are not? I still have been unable to fill out my fafsa yet because I need my tax return info first, which I still haven't received specific tax forms.
So I guess my main question is, why are you applying for gradplus and private loans opposed to lower interest rate federal loans?
BTW-Des, sorry to hear about the waitlist, hope you get an email in the coming months with an acceptance!

BTW-Des, sorry to hear about the waitlist, hope you get an email in the coming months with an acceptance!
Meh...I'm not too hopefull. I'm pretty sure there was no movement at all last year. Hopefully it'll be different this year. (It would be SOOO much easier to go to UB)

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh...I'm not too hopefull. I'm pretty sure there was no movement at all last year. Hopefully it'll be different this year. (It would be SOOO much easier to go to UB)

Ha, you definitely should be optimistic about it. I was waitlisted without an interview back in December. your situation is much better than mine. I knew about last year too. hopefully this year will be much much different. good luck on both of us!!

hi guys,

I applied to UB for fall 2010. My gpa is 3.56 and I should be getting Jan PCAT score about 300 (total of all sections' percentiles)

So, what are my chances for UB ??

hi guys,

I applied to UB for fall 2010. My gpa is 3.56 and I should be getting Jan PCAT score about 300 (total of all sections' percentiles)

So, what are my chances for UB ??

300 is the school's minimum for PCAT scores.

Do you have impressive letters of recommendation?

Are all of your prerequisites done?

Do you have any pharmacy experience?

Do you have any volunteering experience?

It is not all about the numbers, kid. Numbers get you in the door, but if you don't have the total package you will have a hard time justifying yourself to admissions.

300 is the school's minimum for PCAT scores.

Do you have impressive letters of recommendation?

Are all of your prerequisites done?

Do you have any pharmacy experience?

Do you have any volunteering experience?

It is not all about the numbers, kid. Numbers get you in the door, but if you don't have the total package you will have a hard time justifying yourself to admissions.

hi there,

All prerequisites will be done by spring 2010.

Great recommendation letters, 1 year of pharmacy technician experience in a retail pharmacy, and 50 hours of volunteering at a doctor's office.

Now what???:xf:....

hi there,

Great recommendation letters, 1 year of pharmacy technician experience in a retail pharmacy, and 50 hours of volunteering at a doctor's office.

we may share the same statics, similar gpa, and my pcat is slightly higher than you. I have 80 hours volunteer experience in ICU and 3 months of pharmacy assistant in summer. three recommendations from pharmacist, nursing superviser and one of my biology professor. In addition, I am getting a BS in Biomed. Finally, I was waitlist two times without an interview! My application was sent in by December. If you have a really impressive personal essay and experience, maybe you will make it. Since you are still waiting for you PCAT score, by the time it comes out, it is even more competitive due to the limited seats available. But good luck!!!

Ms. Strumm said that 2 years ago everyone was called off the waitlist, so there is still hope!

You never know--each year seems to go sooo differently. I really hope they don't keep you waiting for too long though :( Good luck good luck!!

I see that Buffalo has started interviews for awhile now. Do they first interview In-State students? then Out-of-State? I am actually from California and applied to UB! and hope to get an interview from there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see that Buffalo has started interviews for awhile now. Do they first interview In-State students? then Out-of-State? I am actually from California and applied to UB! and hope to get an interview from there?
They first start with early assurance students. I don't think they hold off on out of state students but I'm not sure

I;m from cali, I interviewed 1/22

Awesome! I hope you get in! and I hope I get an interview!

Why doesn't the wait list move much at Buffalo?

I know it is a good school and I was very impressed at my interview, but I don't consider it a UNC or UCSF - am I wrong to assume that? Anyone have some figures about the school in comparison to the rest?

I know it is a good school and I was very impressed at my interview, but I don't consider it a UNC or UCSF - am I wrong to assume that? Anyone have some figures about the school in comparison to the rest?

I think that with the current state of the economy, people are focusing more on finances. UB is a good school, and on top of that it's fairly cheap for a pharmacy school. People that get accepted go, and the wait list doesn't move. Just my thought though!

Movement on the waitlist isn't a function of the quality of the school, it depends solely on how many people are accepted and choose to attend. Another poster mentioned the state of the economy and the cost of UB compared to other schools, and I think that is a big part of it. Another aspect to consider is that the amount of candidates who get in via early assurance has been increasing through the years, so that limits the number of people who can get in through regular applications (this will change once our curriculum changes take place).

And in general, you're right. UB isn't quite on the level of UNC or UCSF, but it is still one of the best programs in the country (certainly in the Northeast). Many, if not all, pharmacy schools draw the majority of their students from the surrounding areas. Since UB is the best (and most affordable) school in the area, it stands to reason that once accepted, people tend to come here.

hi there,

we may share the same statics, similar gpa, and my pcat is slightly higher than you. I have 80 hours volunteer experience in ICU and 3 months of pharmacy assistant in summer. three recommendations from pharmacist, nursing superviser and one of my biology professor. In addition, I am getting a BS in Biomed. Finally, I was waitlist two times without an interview! My application was sent in by December. If you have a really impressive personal essay and experience, maybe you will make it. Since you are still waiting for you PCAT score, by the time it comes out, it is even more competitive due to the limited seats available. But good luck!!!

well, do you think seat(s) will be available after 2 weeks (since I am hoping to get PCAT score by 2 weeks..)?????

well, do you think seat(s) will be available after 2 weeks (since I am hoping to get PCAT score by 2 weeks..)?????

What I was saying is that since it is a rolling cycle, it is very competitive at the end. There will still be seats available but only a few maybe. But there are lots of people competing for them.

What I was saying is that since it is a rolling cycle, it is very competitive at the end. There will still be seats available but only a few maybe. But there are lots of people competing for them.

It's hard to say whether or not there will be seats available. Last year there was no movement from the waitlist, but in years past there has been lots of movement.

Basically you can't really predict anything, but shouldn't lose hope either. You never know either way.

Can any of the current UB students please comment on your experience so far at UB? I completed my undergraduate work at a smaller private University, and am interested in the transition to a larger state school. I would love to hear about your relationships with your professors, and whether you feel like a student or a number.

I have been accepted to UB, and hope you can supplement what I learned at my campus visit.

Anyone else interview lately? Seems like we haven't had a lot of posters interview/get results for awhile. I know they will still interview for awhile.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got wait listed after my interview on 2/5 and just got accepted yesterday. So yeah it is possible to get in from the wait list.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got wait listed after my interview on 2/5 and just got accepted yesterday. So yeah it is possible to get in from the wait list.
I read this post and immediately checked my email.

no such luck :(

Can any of the current UB students please comment on your experience so far at UB? I completed my undergraduate work at a smaller private University, and am interested in the transition to a larger state school. I would love to hear about your relationships with your professors, and whether you feel like a student or a number.

I have been accepted to UB, and hope you can supplement what I learned at my campus visit.

well your class will be around 126 students. You will see many professors over and over and you will get plenty of chances to get to know you. You will also be assigned to an advisor that is a professor. Most of the professors are very outgoing and compassionate so it's easy to get to know them. But it's all up to you, if you are quiet and never participate, it will take a long time for the professors to know your name

Im currently a junior in high school and i was just wondering how hard it was to get into the UB pre-pharmacy school, like an ideal sat score. Or is the admissions for pre-pharmacy the same as any other acceptance decision.

I haven't even heard anything from the school yet :(

me too :(
I know UB has rolling admissions, but how are they taking students off the wait list if they haven't conducted all of their interviews yet?

Hi, I'm a latecomer to the scene. Is anyone going for interview on March 12th? Can anyone break down for me what will the whole program be like? Is it true that we are graded by our interactions with current Pharmacy students as well?

There's gonna be a short essay that you have to write followed by a tour of the school, interview and a small group presentation which your leadership skills are tested (just make sure you participate).
BTW do you go to Stony Brook too?

There's gonna be a short essay that you have to write followed by a tour of the school, interview and a small group presentation which your leadership skills are tested (just make sure you participate).
BTW do you go to Stony Brook too?

Thank you!
Yes I do go to Stony Brook. Have you been accepted to Buffalo?

The only parts of the interview that matters are the interview itself and the essay. The tour and group project (ice breaker) are just for your benefit. I encourage you to participate and ask questions but don't stress out about it.

I had my interview on Friday and was accepted yesterday :D I'm a really shy and nervous type of person and I thought the interview process was pretty low-stress. The person who gives the introduction even will suggest some questions for you to ask about during your interview! I'm not sure if the essay really matters much...My essay was a piece of crap. Good luck to all the March interviewees!

The interview was the most important aspect but I do remember them taking notes on who participated during the group project.

Last edited:
Rejected as of yesterday. Oh well. Not my first choice school. Good luck to the rest of you!!

I was waitlisted for my application, why not just reject me? It seems a wait list without an interview has to be the bottom of the bottom, so why even offer it?

I was waitlisted for my application, why not just reject me? It seems a wait list without an interview has to be the bottom of the bottom, so why even offer it?

I got waitlisted too! Would you mind sharing your stats? My gpa is 3.8, pcat 79 composite.

I received an email yesterday that said my application was still being evaluated but nothing about a waitlist. I didn't get an interview invite or anything at all. I mean what does this mean? Has anyone else gotten this before. Has anyone gotten this and actually got in.

I received an email yesterday that said my application was still being evaluated but nothing about a waitlist. I didn't get an interview invite or anything at all. I mean what does this mean? Has anyone else gotten this before. Has anyone gotten this and actually got in.

I got the exact same email, and I was also wondering if it meant that they haven't had a chance to review my application yet or if they've looked at it but haven't decided whether they want to offer me an interview invitation or not. Anyone have any idea what this means?

Can someone who got into UBC pharmacy please list their PCAT scores, and GPA so we have some sort of a reference if you dont mind? it'ld be very helpful for me :)

also, how likely is someone with a 72% GPA and a minumum PCAT score gonna get in if their refernces and online application are good?
thanks!

Can someone who got into UBC pharmacy please list their PCAT scores, and GPA so we have some sort of a reference if you dont mind? it'ld be very helpful for me :)

also, how likely is someone with a 72% GPA and a minumum PCAT score gonna get in if their refernces and online application are good?
thanks!
I think you posted in the wrong thread. This is not the thread for UBC. This is the thread for the University at Buffalo.

Desmoulians, you seem familiar with the area. I would greatly appreciate if you could comment on the availability and breadth of pharmacist intern work in the buffalo area.