U of Q and Ochsner clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some are being shunted off to Toowoomba (a campus of the medical school 90 minutes west of Brisbane

Hi Pitman. Is Toowoomba the Ipswich program?
I wanted to ask somebody who knows about the program whether there would be advantages going for this program given that it has a smaller number of students. Anybody knows how their program is compared to St. Lucia's?

p.s. how do you do partial quote?...i can't even delete this post..

Members don't see this ad.

You have to write [/quote] at the end. You can't delete the post, but you can edit it.

A major concern about UQ's big classes is the overcrowding at the clinical schools. It's not the biggest issue in the world, but it does matter - after all, we spend 20% of our first two years (and 100% of our last two years) at the clinical schools. Let me give you an example:

A couple of weeks ago, our weekly theme was asthma (at USyd). Let's say that there were 4 patients in the respiratory ward with acute exacerbations of asthma (a fair estimate). We have 7 clinical groups, for a total of 34 students (5 per group, except for one with 4). That means that if every group were to get a chance to speak with one such patient, then 3 groups are left out (we usually won't ask a patient to talk to two different groups, since that's too much to ask). And that's when we only have 34 students in a 700-bed hospital, meaning one student for every 20 patients (the 250 students are divided amongst 7-8 hospitals).

Imagine if there were over 200 students at a 900-bed hospital (one student for every 4.5 patients), like they have at UQ now. No patient is willing to put up with 10 groups of first-year students taking turns to ask them the same questions about their condition. It's not even reasonable - each group takes about an hour of time, so that's just ridiculous. So, 36 of the 40 groups don't get a chance to see a patient whose condition is relevant to their weekly theme.

And that's just the first year. During third and fourth year, the hospital will be overcrowded with med students... there might be more students than learning opportunities. To stuff over 400 students (times four years) in only two clinical schools is unreasonable.

And that doesn't consider the fact that they don't have an unlimited number of tutors. On our clinical days, each group (5 students) has tutorial sessions with two different professors and one junior doctor (as an advisor). That's right - 3 doctors to teach 5 students, and none of them teaches any other students aside from that one group. Plus, we always have some sort extra tutorial in which we're in a group of 10. That way, they're sure to give you a lot of personal attention.

So, they create the Toowoomba school. Smaller hospital, fewer patients to learn from - but on the other hand, there are also fewer med students to deal with. If I were going to UQ, I'd lend strong consideration to Toowoomba... 200 students per clinical school is just too much.

The quality of the teaching will be the same. They're both run by UQ, they're just based at different hospitals. The trade-off is just that you have fewer resources and fewer patients to learn from at the smaller hospital. On the other hand, at the big hospital, you have extra resources, but you have to share them with 200 other people.

For me, the deciding factor would be proximity; I'd probably choose RBH or PAH because I'm lazy. That is, of course, assuming that UQ was my only option.

Last edited:

I checked UQ's website and they list a number of clinical schools:
Brunei Clinical School
Greenslopes Clinical School
Ipswich Clinical School
Mater Clinical School
Northside Clinical School
Ochsner Clinical School
PA-Southside Clinical School
Royal Brisbane Clinical School
Rural Clinical School
Sunshine Coast Clinical School

How are you deriving 200 students per clinical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked UQ's website and they list a number of clinical schools:
Brunei Clinical School
Greenslopes Clinical School
Ipswich Clinical School
Mater Clinical School
Northside Clinical School
Ochsner Clinical School
PA-Southside Clinical School
Royal Brisbane Clinical School
Rural Clinical School
Sunshine Coast Clinical School

How are you deriving 200 students per clinical school?

they're probably varying in size so the bigger ones may accommodate 200 and the smaller ones much less?

So, they create the Toowoomba school. Smaller hospital, fewer patients to learn from - but on the other hand, there are also fewer med students to deal with. If I were going to UQ, I'd lend strong consideration to Toowoomba... 200 students per clinical school is just too much.

The quality of the teaching will be the same. They're both run by UQ, they're just based at different hospitals. The trade-off is just that you have fewer resources and fewer patients to learn from at the smaller hospital. On the other hand, at the big hospital, you have extra resources, but you have to share them with 200 other people.

For me, the deciding factor would be proximity; I'd probably choose RBH or PAH because I'm lazy. That is, of course, assuming that UQ was my only option.

hope my partial quotting works this time. thanks for your thoughts shan.
By RBH and PAH, do you mean PA-Southside Clinical School and
Royal Brisbane Clinical School?
Do you think it would be worth enrolling myself in the Ipswich program if I had to travel at least half an hour everytime?
You mentioned the tradeoff between a smaller hospital and a large one. Having had experiences at clinical schools, which hospital would you say will likely leave you with a better clinical education by the end of 4th year?
I personally think it would be better to get more direct clinical experiences albeit with limited patients at a smaller hospital. What's your thoughts?

Last edited:
Most of the UQ students go to Royal Brisbane Hospital and Princess Alexandra Hospital. During first year, those are the only two hospitals that you can go to (unless they've changed something... when I applied last year, I had to choose one of the two). During 3rd and 4th year, they'll send some students to the smaller clinical schools, but PAH and RBH are still the biggest.

Calone - if it was that clear-cut, the decision would be easier. There are pros and cons to both, so it's hard to say which one will be "better"... a lot if it will have to do with your personal goals and aspirations. Personally, I like to get involved with very specific research projects (etc.). For example, I chose my current clinical school because they're known for their strong radiology program (which is what I'm primarily interested in) and the fact that they have a wide range of options for clinical electives. But if you just want to be a GP, then the increased direct exposure will probably better for you.

This is a very negative blog on the UQMS website regarding international students: http://uqms.org/component/option,com_simpleboard/Itemid,204/func,view/id,24187/catid,515/

I thought I would post it. I am not in anyway supporting this blog, I am heading to UQ and hope it will be great, but some people might want to read this. Students already at UQ please comment.

You thought that was very negative? Nah, that's nothing, that's just two anonymous 'people' venting. There have been far worse threads.

Most of the UQ students go to Royal Brisbane Hospital and Princess Alexandra Hospital. During first year, those are the only two hospitals that you can go to (unless they've changed something... when I applied last year, I had to choose one of the two).

There are now ~40 first years at Ipswich (sorry calone, not Toowoomba, which is further down the highway -- was confusing first with third year).

But that's true for the most part -- first years are primarily in one of three hospitals for their clinical time, with some of the other Brisbane hospitals used for special tutes. First year you generally practice physical examinations, and that's about it. Second year you do a lot more clinically and so the students are spread out more.

You thought that was very negative? Nah, that's nothing, that's just two anonymous 'people' venting. There have been far worse threads.

I agree, doesn't seem like anything to be that concerned with. The positive threads seem to outnumber the negatives. Im assuming you can find threads just as negative about any medical school in Aus, USA or anywhere.

"Q. Can non-US citizens apply for this program?
A. U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents who have completed a bachelor's degree, and who are not Australian citizens, are eligible to apply for this program."

Damn. I was hoping to possibly do part of my MBBS rotations for OMS (if I got in) in the states. Would have been fun.

Most Australian schools will still give you the option to do a couple of international rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
UQ Ochsner is still attempting to obtain AMC accreditation, if that does not go through then students admitted to course will have to complete the regular UQ program.

UQ Ochsner is still attempting to obtain AMC accreditation, if that does not go through then students admitted to course will have to complete the regular UQ program.

Won't that be interesting. Crowding an already overcrowded system. It seems unlikely to me that this won't go through.

Hey RSwim,
I was just informed that the tuition and fees for the UQ/Ochsner program is gonna be:

Year 1 AUD 66,000 (commencing 2010)
Year 2 AUD 68,500
Year 3 USD 50,000 (proposed)
Year 4 USD 51,800 (proposed)

It certainly makes UQ less attractive, but still an option. What was your take on it?

Last edited:
Won't that be interesting. Crowding an already overcrowded system. It seems unlikely to me that this won't go through.

i'd say this for the most part is a non-issue.

In reality there is no real reason this school even needs AMC accreditation considering it does not permit Aus citizens/residents the oppurtunity to participate (I asked them as I am a US citizen, Aus PR) and its unlikely that those particating would later seek to work in Aus considering they not only choose to study in the US over the regular Aus-based course but also because they were willing to pay a considerable premium to do so (once i discovered the cost I wouldnt have considered it even if it were an option!). of course noone in their right mind would enroll in a nonaccredited program.

given the first 2 years are identical to the currently accredited program and the final 2 years are in the US system of clinical education, which is more rigourous than that of the Aus system, the likelihood of not gaining accreditation are slim in my eyes.

Hi SFs own TONE... Oztrekk was going to eliminate the additional cost for the first two years as of last week, AND THEN..... there was a big meeting yesterday.. and they have decided to include the additional fee into the UQ tuition which is CRAZY.. After hearing this news, I withdrew from the Ochsner program.. it is outrageous that we would have to pay an additional $36000 for the first two years, which are identical! Matt from Oztrekk is trying to lobby for us. He agrees that this is not good. I am going to write a letter of support on his behalf. I will let you know how things work out. They WILL not fill this program with fees this high. Not only is it huge money, but it discredits the program, makes it look like it is all about money (remind you of something.....Carribean.....which is exactly what they were trying to stay away from). Apparently this extra fee is from a third party company who set up the contract and are now figuratively holding a gun to the heads of UQ and Ochsner who apparently have no choice but to along with it. I will post the details of this as I get them, but will be away for the next 5 days. I have spoken with Dr.Pinsky (head guy at Ochsner) directly and plan to speak with him again next week about this new development.

Hi SFs own TONE... Oztrekk was going to eliminate the additional cost for the first two years as of last week, AND THEN..... there was a big meeting yesterday.. and they have decided to include the additional fee into the UQ tuition which is CRAZY.. After hearing this news, I withdrew from the Ochsner program.. it is outrageous that we would have to pay an additional $36000 for the first two years, which are identical! Matt from Oztrekk is trying to lobby for us. He agrees that this is not good. I am going to write a letter of support on his behalf. I will let you know how things work out. They WILL not fill this program with fees this high. Not only is it huge money, but it discredits the program, makes it look like it is all about money (remind you of something.....Carribean.....which is exactly what they were trying to stay away from). Apparently this extra fee is from a third party company who set up the contract and are now figuratively holding a gun to the heads of UQ and Ochsner who apparently have no choice but to along with it. I will post the details of this as I get them, but will be away for the next 5 days. I have spoken with Dr.Pinsky (head guy at Ochsner) directly and plan to speak with him again next week about this new development.

The fees for this program are outrageous and if you read the fine print they do not have AMC accreditation yet. So if they do not obtain this you will complete the program like a regular UQ student. The way they market this program reminds of a Caribbean school.

I agree. The way they have marketed this program is a disaster. It is really too bad, because the intentions and idea is great with incredible potential. From my understanding the screw up is on the part of this third party company. I think this is something that might get sorted out in the next few months, if not, within the next two years and might becomes something that those of us entering UQ in 2010 could potentially opt into after a year or two.

it discredits the program, makes it look like it is all about money (remind you of something.....Carribean.....which is exactly what they were trying to stay away from)

That's exactly what I've been saying about UQ for a while now. Of course, they're not like the Caribbean schools, but I've said several times that many of their policies make it seem like they're slowly moving in the direction of the Caribbean schools (which is the primary reason why I decided not to go there). This is just another step along that path, and I'm concerned that there will be more in the future - they're starting to act like a for-profit institution, which is just begging for disaster.

Of course, I hope (for everybody's sake) that they'll turn out just fine, and I expect that they probably will. I'd still rather choose UQ over any Caribbean school, and possibly over many of the private schools in Australia.

I'd still rather choose UQ over any Caribbean school, and possibly over many of the private schools in Australia.

dude, are you sure you know what you are talking about? there are only 2 private uni's in Aus with medical schools: Uni Notre Dame which has grad entry medical schools in Fremantle and Sydney and Bond which has an undergrad entry med school in Gold Coast.

When i visited UQ in May, the UQMS president showed me around campus and we end up talking about Bond. basically she said Bond is pretty kick arse. i dont doubt it cuz all students are full fees which ends up being >= 250k AUD total over 4.7 years (including all summers). they charge a boat load in tuition and as a result they have very nice facilities. i am not talking from experience as i didnt check Bond out while in Gold Coast (i did visit Griffith though) because being full fees and undergrad entry i knew i wasnt interested; this is what Tanya told me (but i'm not quoting her).

and from what i hear Notre Dame is pretty good too. the sydney school curriculum is structured so you do the first 2 years in sydney and then you have the option of doing the last 2 years in sydney, melbourne or rural. they also have a mentor program in third year where you are assigned a personal faculty clinician mentor.

notre dame sydney fremantle offers no full fee places while the sydney school offers a mix of csp and full fee places, but it doesnt really matter because neither currently offer international places.

i'd say this for the most part is a non-issue.

In reality there is no real reason this school even needs AMC accreditation considering it does not permit Aus citizens/residents the oppurtunity to participate (I asked them as I am a US citizen, Aus PR) and its unlikely that those particating would later seek to work in Aus considering they not only choose to study in the US over the regular Aus-based course

Haha.. that's hilarious.. Come spend over 200k for a medical degree that's not accredited in any country. Awesome!

When i visited UQ in May, the UQMS president showed me around campus and we end up talking about Bond. basically she said Bond is pretty kick arse. i dont doubt it cuz all students are full fees which ends up being >= 250k AUD total over 4.7 years (including all summers). they charge a boat load in tuition and as a result they have very nice facilities. i am not talking from experience as i didnt check Bond out while in Gold Coast (i did visit Griffith though) because being full fees and undergrad entry i knew i wasnt interested; this is what Tanya told me (but i'm not quoting her).

Tanya kicks arse.

It seems like people at USyd have a generally negative opinion of Bond and ND... maybe it's just rivalry. The impression is that people can just go to Bond if they didn't get in elsewhere and wanted to buy their way into a med school (I don't know how true that is). With ND, I've heard (never confirmed) that Theology is a mandatory part of their curriculum, and that they use it instead of what a secular school would call "bedside manner" or "communication skills" or, as they say at USyd, "personal/professional development" and "patient-doctor".

Of course, those are just prevailing impressions - I've never actually confirmed any of them.

Bond is still trying to escape the stereotype formed when it became the first private full-fee med school. It's a good example I think of the power of unfounded rumour when it comes to reputation.

Its grads are fine, and anecdotally I keep hearing from peers and senior docs that they work harder and are possibly more switched on than other Qld junior docs...maybe because of the extra money/hardship spent on school.

Shows how dangerous a rumor can be.

I'd like to hereby start a rumor. Anybody who goes to USyd (especially Northern Clinical School) has far-and-away the best training in the world. You get further help if you've also had exposure to the American medical system, since it helps to understand different systems. Oh, and studies show that people with August birthdays make the best doctors, especially if they've somehow managed to have a birthday in both the summer and the winter. Plus, it helps if your name is Shan.

this blog has died? anyone with anything new to say? Any new developments at Ochsner?? I heard they integrated the program fees into the tuition which sucks!

I really wanted to believe in the UQ/Ochsner program. I saw pictures of Brisbane and loved it. My friends who had been to Australia said it was great. The campus looked beautiful and when else would I be able to live in Australia?
After a long time considering my options it came down to a few things.

• 24 MCAT score. I don't want to knock anyone with a low MCAT score, although the MCAT seems to be a reasonable predictor of USMLE score, but a score of 24 combined with no interview does not speak well for the admissions.
    • If you look at countries like France, they have no admissions requirements, they simply do a lot of weeding out, but this is not the purpose of UQ/Ochsner
  • No interview. We can say all we want about how little an interview actually does for the admissions process, but they even interview you for a job at McDonalds.
  • Cost. The most expensive schools in the US top out around $50,000, are fully accredited and will help you get good residencies. The UQ portion of the program costs over $60,000 and gives you no added benefit other than the opportunity to live in Australia, which I'm not discounting - but with the money you would save by going to other schools, you could live in the 4 Seasons in Australia.
    • I have no problem paying full tuition. I paid it all 4 years of undergrad, but I knew that at least a portion of my tuition was going to deserving students who could not afford the education. UQ/Ochsner has not scholarships.
  • UQ does not teach for the USMLE which will be the single most important test if you go to school outside the US.
  • A class size of 500-600.
Let's call a spade a spade. The program is designed for students who could not get into the US. There may be some deserving candidates out there who just couldn't do well on the MCATs. There also may be some people who are drawn to living in Australia. But the program wreaks of a money-making machine.

what if it's someone like me who is a white guy from california with a strong mcat (31) and science gpas (3.9) who couldn't get into a US school, while people with much lower mcats get into their state schools in the US?
Because I know people with my score who have gotten scholarships at schools in the US
should I then go to a 4th rate education in the Caribbean over a place like UQ?

I'm not sure what to do here but I have been shut out of US admissions two years running now

My take: reduce the variables.

First decide whether you're done trying for domestic allopathic schools. Sounds superfluous, but get your head wrapped around the answer so you won't confuse yourself.

Then decide if you definitely want to practice in the US, in which case consider DO schools, though be informed about which countries wouldn't allow you to practice later if you have any interest in int'l locum work.

After that, you've int'l schools to sift through. Carib - prepares you for USMLE (most have it as the exit exam) and gets you back fast to do clinical training, but many complain of having no life while on the islands, and to some the stigma is an issue. UQ - has the Ochsner program to also expose you to US rotations and potential connections for interviews, along with a couple of years in an interesting culture, but is also mucho $. Ireland and UK and Israel should also be considerations.

If you have money to burn, apply to all, check out the campuses and ask the schools for US placement stats (the US govt now requires schools to tally them as a condition of keeping Stafford loan elgibility).

Thanks for the advice. It just pisses me off seeing people with 26'-27's getting into their state schools routinely while I couldn't get anything with a 31. It seems many people outside of the US view international as"rejects" without really understanding how disgusting the system is here

My concern is if I can get back to California after this UQ-Ochsner program. To be honest, all things considered I really don't like the US that much and would rather do my residency/internship/practice in Australia, but all the poisters on here from Australia hating international students/saying there are no residencies in Australia, are scaring the hell out of me.

can you tell me more about getting work in australia, seeing that you are at UQ?

Last edited:
The problem I have with the anti-australia posters is chiefly that they scaremonger. They claim to know much more than they do, particularly when they assert knowledge of doomsday prophecy. Every year they say, 'this is the year', or even 6-7 years back when I was applying that 'no way will you (or anyone in Australia) be able to stay'. I'm now an RMO.

In Qld (and NSW apparently), so far as I know, every int'l wanting and planning to stay has been able to. But this trend seems to be untenable given the status quo, because the number of students is growing at a faster pace than the number of new intern spots that Qld is expecting to be able to create (and likewise in several other states). The tsunami is happening now, but graduating class sizes will continue to grow for at least another 4 years.

So the question is, if nothing changes, when will there be insufficient spots; or, will something change? No one has that answer. I don't give a rat's ass who claims to know, they've all been proven wrong. Yet numbers continue to grow faster than spots. Eventually, if the status quo continues, states will begin to overflow. Other states will soak up the overflow at first, but eventually they would also be overwhelmed. Of course, that's just the status quo.

There's a lot of pressure on states to change something. There are great arguments for them to accommodate int'ls who are vital to the financial health of the schools (as they are for the unis proper -- int'l students as a whole are the 3rd biggest revenue generator in this state), and they can help solve doctor shortages.

Prof Wilkinson, the dean of UQ Med, just wrote an opinion piece for The Australian arguing for action:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/let-overseas-students-stay/story-e6frg8y6-1225795720409

He doesn't say anything new for those who are already reasonably informed, but he's gotten a bigger audience. He also doesn't say how things can change to allow int'ls to stay. It's the hope at least that people (politicians in particular, who must answer to the unis and to doctor shortages) will become informed and active in applying pressure to change...something.

What can be changed? A number of things. Some small, like small changes that have been lobbied for and have allowed int'ls to stay here to date, and others that have been lobbied for and made to encourage them to stay. Some radical, which could guarantee the opportunity to stay but which won't happen unless radical means are deemed necessary. It'll come down to how the repercussions are perceived, spun, played, lobbied for..

So, I also can't tell you whether you'd be able to stay, sdedalus. I won't even put odds on it. I wouldn't put odds on whether I'd be able to stay, either, or whether I'd return to the States, and then I came. And here I am.

Last edited:
Wow, that was very helpful. I think this new program may be good because it focuses heavily on the USMLE, whereas the regular UQ MBBS isn't geared towards passing the USMLE as much, plus the fact I would need to reapply to the regular UQ MBBS which means I would lose another year.

Would you say that with very good scores/grades and developing relationships with physicians in the fields I am interested in in QLD, it would really help my case to stay there after finishing the MBBS?

Also, do you enjoy QLD? I hear from a lot of folks that Brisbane is the nicest city in Australia. I do not think I would like Sydney as it is supposedly similar to NYC or SF and is very liberal. I get the vibe that Brisbane is much more down to earth, with more open space and friendlier people.

Also, do you enjoy QLD? I hear from a lot of folks that Brisbane is the nicest city in Australia. I do not think I would like Sydney as it is supposedly similar to NYC or SF and is very liberal. I get the vibe that Brisbane is much more down to earth, with more open space and friendlier people.

This is off topic, but I just wanted to clarify that Sydney, NYC, or SF being liberal doesn't mean that these places aren't down to Earth, with open space and friendly people like QLD.

Being from SF, yes it is liberal but that doesn't mean it is not down to earth or without friendly people.

Orange County and San Diego are notoriously conservative and perhaps the most superficial and materialistic places you may ever find.

I agree that Australia in general is quite friendly and open minded. But I take offense that being liberal excludes being down to earth and friendly.

Wow, that was very helpful. I think this new program may be good because it focuses heavily on the USMLE, whereas the regular UQ MBBS isn't geared towards passing the USMLE as much, plus the fact I would need to reapply to the regular UQ MBBS which means I would lose another year.

Would you say that with very good scores/grades and developing relationships with physicians in the fields I am interested in in QLD, it would really help my case to stay there after finishing the MBBS?

the uq ocshner program focuses heavily on the usmle? where did you get that? i thought the first 2 years were done alongside the traditional UQ med program students? i cant imagine theyd create a new curriculum jut for yanks.

from what ive heard about training in aus (and yeah, im currently in aus), grades will not be considered for the large majorty of intrnship positions which are allocated by 'random' ballot.

brisbane is the nicest city? i wouldnt dont if most people that grew up in brisbane say that about brisbane. dont get me wrong, i think brisbane is nice, but to say it is the nicest seems a little extreme, but i admit its very
subjective.

theres quite a lot of parks in sydney. how much open space do you need? i can for a run along the water amongst much natural flora. it is ver nice. but if you want to hear that brisbane is that nicest aussie city so you feel good about your decision to study at UQ, then sure, brisbane is the nicest man. good luck with that.