Tulane ACP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of my friends was alt-listed today. Do they usually get to the alternate list in this program?

Members don't see this ad.

I got in as well. Congrats everybody!

I got an email today at 3:00, I was accepted as well. My GPA is <3.00, so I'm sure if you guys have weaknesses, it wont matter that much if you are a good fit. That being said I do have a 36 on the MCAT.

Anyone who is interested in a roommate, I have a car, and I will DEF be attending next year. Good luck to everyone, I'm sure most of you will hear back tomorrow

Congrats, that gives me a little bit of hope seeing as how I'm <3.0 and 33. I'm not so sure though because I feel like my waitlists being DO give me a disadvantage as well. Not liking my chances right now.

:scared: People keep hearing back and I've still got no e-mail. Hopefully that doesn't mean I'm rejected and they only sent out the Accepted/Waitlists :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey swimchick, do you know if the committee is the same committee that meets to review the med school applicants? Is Dr. Beckman on this committee?

Yes (with some modifications) to question #1 and yes to question #2.

Yes (with some modifications) to question #1 and yes to question #2.
I got the email today as well. I am on the alternate list. They even tell you where they are on it, apparently I'm number two. Anyone know if there has been any movement in the past?

I got the email today as well. I am on the alternate list. They even tell you where they are on it, apparently I'm number two. Anyone know if there has been any movement in the past?

Congrats, if you look in the thread you can see that yes, there is generally some movement on the waitlist. At #2 I'd say you've got a legit shot. The fact that I didn't get an e-mail is really depressing :( I'm thinking it may be a sign of rejection at this point.

Finally I get to make a FB group!

Come join! It's called "Tulane ACP 2010"!!!!

First of all, congratulations to all those who have been accepted. Tulane is a great school and ACP is a fantastic opportunity. For those of you on the alternate list, don't fret: the first five-ish students are ranked and that list is worked through the summer as accepted ACP students are taken off their respective waitlists at medical school(s).

As for housing: it just so happens that I am moving out of my place and because I think my roommate is so awesome (and because he's a busy T3), I'm advertising one bedroom and your own bathroom in this two bed, two bath apartment at The Saulet. The rent for the coming year $20/month less than I paid, for a total of $660/month + utilities.

Awesome things about living here: the leaseholder (and my current roommate) is a busy, considerate and clean T3 who has all the books you'll need for ACP, so you can save your pennies; the Saulet complex has free covered parking (so your car won't flood when it rains a lot); it's a seven minute drive from here to the med school with traffic; there's a gym, pool, hot tub and cabana for your use; it's gated (safe); there's a coffee shop with free wifi on the corner and it's an easy walk to St. Charles (~6 minutes).

I'm moving not because of any issues with my roommate or the building; both have been great. Instead, I just wanted a change of scenery. The Saulet has been a great place to live for the last year, especially considering I'd never been to New Orleans before driving my moving truck into town.

Qualifications: ability to pay rent + utilities on time, willingness to sign a lease agreement, no cats (but other pets might work out).

Interested? Shoot me a PM and we can talk details. Thanks!

Tyrkinase, I'm not sure what a PM is, but I am very interested in the apt. I am a new yorker born and raised, and the only time I have been in the south is when I went to my Tulane Interview, so I completely take your word that this apartment is the ****. I am clean, have no pets + my own car, and my only vices are addictions to all things Super Mario and basketball.

Let me know how I can get the ball rolling, thanks!!!
my email is [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Tyrkinase, I'm not sure what a PM is, but I am very interested in the apt. I am a new yorker born and raised, and the only time I have been in the south is when I went to my Tulane Interview, so I completely take your word that this apartment is the ****. I am clean, have no pets + my own car, and my only vices are addictions to all things Super Mario and basketball.

Let me know how I can get the ball rolling, thanks!!!
my email is [email protected]

Oh and I just added you as a friend!

Hey TyrKinase,
Do you know if they are planning on sending any more decisions today? Because I still haven't received anything.

Congrats, everyone. Still no love for me.

So...so far we know of 5 who got in. 5 of 15/16. I don't like the looks of this for me. :(

Congrats, everyone. Still no love for me.

So...so far we know of 5 who got in. 5 of 15/16. I don't like the looks of this for me. :(

I agree, there are at least a handful of us that have not heard back though. I'm just glad I'm not the only one still patiently waiting. The flip side is we also have not heard anyone who has been rejected respond to the thread :-( Sorry, I'm a pessimist when it comes to these things.

EDIT: I just called them and their only response was "all status letters have been sent, you will know in a couple of days"... not even remotely helpful. Especially since we are supposed to hear via e-mail.

I agree, there are at least a handful of us that have not heard back though. I'm just glad I'm not the only one still patiently waiting. The flip side is we also have not heard anyone who has been rejected respond to the thread :-( Sorry, I'm a pessimist when it comes to these things.

EDIT: I just called them and their only response was "all status letters have been sent, you will know in a couple of days"... not even remotely helpful. Especially since we are supposed to hear via e-mail.

I think its safe to assume that means a rejection. Oh well, time for Plan C

Sup, just wondering if anyone who got in has any idea how they are going to finance this? Any Banks they may try and use? My parents are retiring so they are not giving me jack and I stupidly bought a Benz last year when I started working, so I need advice as to how to get CHULA (I hope thats slang for money and not anythign else)

Apparently, Shannon is on vacay until the 16th of June. The secretary in SCB dept said that Shannon said that she took care of all the application decisions already. I think this could only mean that all acceptances and the top 5 waitlisted notices have been sent out. That means that those of us still waiting are SOL. As my girlfriend puts it, "Maybe certain things happen for a reason we don't yet understand. Don't count your losses." Chin up.

Good luck everyone still waiting. Congrats to those fortunate enough to get in or get a spot.

Sup, just wondering if anyone who got in has any idea how they are going to finance this? Any Banks they may try and use? My parents are retiring so they are not giving me jack and I stupidly bought a Benz last year when I started working, so I need advice as to how to get CHULA (I

Sell the Benz! J/K my car is definitely dying on me.

Luckily my parents are pretty financially secure so they are definitely going to pay for me. I would call up lots of banks and ask to see if you can get a private loan.

Usually if your credit rating is good then you will be able to land something. It will just take a lot of researching and asking around.

Does anyone know if the tution is due in one payment? Or montly payments?

Does anyone need a roommate who isn't allegeric to a cat?

Sup, just wondering if anyone who got in has any idea how they are going to finance this? Any Banks they may try and use?

Getting the program financed isn't a lot of fun. I pretty sure Wells Fargo has offered private continuing education loans to students from last year's class.

Does anyone know if the tution is due in one payment? Or montly payments?

One payment. I'm pretty sure it's due within the first week of instruction starting.

Tyrkinase, I'm not sure what a PM is, but I am very interested in the apt.

Awesome, I sent you an email.

Anyone know how we can get health insurance down there?

I kept my job while doing ACP and had insurance coverage through my employer, so I'm not exactly sure where/how the other students obtained coverage. A lot of the major health insurance companies offer short-term insurance options. You will need proof of coverage when you begin class. SCB makes a copy of your insurance card.

Just a heads up: you will need proof of a recent PPD skin test as well as your immunization record (must be signed by a physician). You'll receive this info in the mail shortly.

Sup, just wondering if anyone who got in has any idea how they are going to finance this? Any Banks they may try and use? My parents are retiring so they are not giving me jack and I stupidly bought a Benz last year when I started working, so I need advice as to how to get CHULA (I hope thats slang for money and not anythign else)

It is was difficult to obtain financing for ACP because we are not matriculated Tulane students and so we can't get attendance certification from the Fin Aid office that most lenders require. I used the Wells Fargo Education Connection Loan to pay for ACP. It will more than likely require a cosigner. The max you can borrow is $25,000 and there is a 2% origination fee. The sweet benefit is that all they require for proof of attendance is a letter from SCB stating your enrollment in the program and the loan check is mailed directly to you.

Good info! Well I'm always positive so I would probably have to get a chest Xray. But I'll have to figure all that out. Damn this health insurance situation. I guess I'll have to pay out of pocket :(

I can probably just get a titer to clear my immunization. I work in a hospital so my records are pretty up to date. Except I just have my immunization records and i'm not sure if that is signed by a doctor. But a titer would be the easiest I think.

Anyways I'll have to sign up for some private health insurance then!

But still good info!

Does anyone know exactly when orientation will be? I saw that orientation for T1's starts on July 30th, how does it work for ACPs?

Does anyone know exactly when orientation will be? I saw that orientation for T1's starts on July 30th, how does it work for ACPs?

Last year we had our orientation meeting on the day the T1 students had their white coat ceremony and I imagine it will be the same for you guys. I believe it will be August 2nd.

To the 2009 ACP students,

What did you guys put on your AMCAS primary to indicate that you were in the ACP? Did you put tulane for schools attended, did you add courses under future course work, etc?

thanks

To the 2009 ACP students,

What did you guys put on your AMCAS primary to indicate that you were in the ACP? Did you put tulane for schools attended, did you add courses under future course work, etc?

thanks

Well I haven't done this yet but I'm not sure. I wonder if the packet of stuff we are getting will clarify?

I have another problem, I have a letter packet consisting of 6 letters. Is that too many letters?

"Tulane’s requirement for letters of recommendation is as follows, a committee letter, letter of recommendation packet, or three letters of recommendation, two must be from professors of science, and the third letter can be from anyone of your choice."

I sent in this packet to ACP as well but I'm just wondering if it will hurt my chances if I have 6 lettes in my packet. Seems like a lot but I have been out of school for 3 years now.

Anyways....when I figure out how to fill the app out I'll definitely update you!

thanks!

i'm sure 6 letters is fine if they're all useful, i have 5.

I know this is a different program, but didn't want to start a new thread...

I've been looking at the Tulane one year masters program and was curious about the linkage between the program and med school? Also, the site says that 90% of the '09 class has gotten into med schools with the rest on waitlists, which sounds as good or better than some of the more well known SMPs. Anyone know anything about this program?

thanks!

i'm sure 6 letters is fine if they're all useful, i have 5.

Okay Cool! I just didn't want to overwhelm them with letters and such. I know some schools reject you automatically if you have too many letters.

Thanks!

Still haven't figured out how to fill out the application. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask!

I know this is a different program, but didn't want to start a new thread...

I've been looking at the Tulane one year masters program and was curious about the linkage between the program and med school? Also, the site says that 90% of the '09 class has gotten into med schools with the rest on waitlists, which sounds as good or better than some of the more well known SMPs. Anyone know anything about this program?

Which one year MS program? Pharmacology? Genetics? Cellular and Molecular Biology?

Pharm used to be a good way to get into Tulane, but in recent years the acceptance rate from Pharm --> Tulane SOM has gone done significantly. If you have a good MCAT (>=30) and a somewhat below average GPA, doing well in one of these Masters programs can be a big boost. If you're marginal-at-best for both GPA and MCAT, you may face more difficulty, despite excellent performance in one of the Masters programs.

Then again, this is what I've heard through the grapevine so take it with a grain of salt...

Still haven't figured out how to fill out the application. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask!

I'm pretty sure including ACP on your AMCAS isn't entirely necessary; you don't receive a letter grade that can subsequently be added to the application, now or in the future.

For whatever it's worth, I added the three ACP courses (gross anatomy, histology and neuroscience) to my 2010 AMCAS. The school name is listed as "Tulane University Of Louisiana - GRAD". I listed the appropriate terms (Anatomy=Fall, Histology and Neuro=Spring), did not include a course number (because we don't have one) and left the following fields blank: "official transcript (OT) hours", "Semester Hours", "official transcript (OT) grade", "AMCAS grade". All three of the courses were listed as "current/future" for the sake of enrollment status.

If one were to exclude these three courses from AMCAS, it wouldn't matter too much; the SCB department chair will, at your request, write a letter on your behalf after the completion of gross anatomy and mail it to each of the schools to which you are applying. The letter will include your class rank relative to the T1s, as well as other quantitative (percent score, etc) and qualitative information. That letter usually gets the interest of other medical schools, more so than simply having "current/future" listed on your AMCAS.

Going with both approaches (listing it on your 2011 AMCAS as described above and requesting a letter to be sent to medical schools other than Tulane) would probably be a good idea.

If you only apply to Tulane SOM, you do not need to request a separate letter from SCB; they will update the admissions committee automatically.

Wow thanks a bunch! So is the type of program considered graduate or postbac?

That is the last piece I need to finish my application.

Another thing, so I really like my PS from last year and it was the same one I sent in to Tulane ACP. Will it hurt my chances if I use it again?

So I'm in the process of finding housing and possibly, a roommate. I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on good locations to find an apartment for under $800/mo (either alone or split two ways)?

I don't plan on having a car necessarily so anything within walking distance would be preferable. Also, if anyone is looking for a roommate feel free to PM me. I'm a clean, easygoing guy from Baltimore.

Crazy, I'm from Baltimore too. Well actually I'm from NY but I've lived in baltimore for the past 6 years.

I just called the office to see if they received my deposit yet and our packets will be sent out when Shannon comes back next W!

I live in charles village by Hopkins, and work in Federal Hill. We should all meet up some time soon.

well just to clarify i havent gotten into the program (yet :xf:), im number two on thier alternate list...hopefully soon

i wasnt on the waitlist and i got the acceptance email on june 7th

As anybody that has been accepted into this program turned down their acceptance?