Tulane ACP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this is a thread for the Tulane ACP program, but I wanted to try my luck in asking whether any of you have an opinion or know some information about the Tulane SMP in Cell & Molecular Biology. It's another special program at Tulane for people aiming to get into medical school (and I figured some of you must have checked out all their options). It's the only one at Tulane I applied for, but any good/bad thoughts about it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is SUCH a great program but I just withdrew from the alternate list..
accepted to med school!!

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is SUCH a great program but I just withdrew from the alternate list..
accepted to med school!!

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats, that's great news! Did you ever find out what your list rank was?

I was not in the top 5. I actually did not withdraw yet because my paranoid parents who paid for this application cycle wanted me to wait until I had the acceptance materials in my hand. But either way I will do it this week...

Good luck to everyone. Even if you don't get into the program, you can still get into medical school... work hard and continue to follow your dreams!

I was not in the top 5. I actually did not withdraw yet because my paranoid parents who paid for this application cycle wanted me to wait until I had the acceptance materials in my hand. But either way I will do it this week...

Damn, I was really hoping you were ahead of me.

I just emailed Shannon Dawsey, she said still no movement and therefore haven't ranked the wait list yet. When do classes start? You'd think there would have been some movement by now. Does anyone know how the process works?

Class begins the first week of August. As far as I know, only 1 person declined the acceptance and that happened last month.

I just emailed Shannon Dawsey, she said still no movement and therefore haven't ranked the wait list yet. When do classes start? You'd think there would have been some movement by now. Does anyone know how the process works?

They ranked the top 5, as of three weeks ago they had used the first two. If shannon said there hasn't been more movement then those numbers are probably the same. The way it works is someone in the program drops out (usually because they get in to another school off the WL) and then they go to the alternates to fill that place. As swimchick said, classes start in 3 weeks

hey how did yall indicate ACP on the amcas? under colleges attended, i put tulane- grad for 09-10. and for coursework, listed anatomy and histology...is there anywhere we need to specifically list we're in ACP at tulane SOM?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey how did yall indicate ACP on the amcas? under colleges attended, i put tulane- grad for 09-10. and for coursework, listed anatomy and histology...is there anywhere we need to specifically list we're in ACP at tulane SOM?

Thanks!

That's what I put as it seemed to be the most appropriate. I also added Medical Neuroscience to my course listing as I'm pretty sure I'll stick around to take it.

That's how I did it. I'm also mentioning it on all of my secondaries wherever it seems most appropriate.

BTW...the Tulane secondary specifically asks you if you're involved in any of their MS/post-bacc programs so you can indicate ACP there.

Hola fellow acpers. I emailed shannon and got an auto response saying she is gone until the 30th, any ideas on who else I can contact about waitlist movement stuff?

Unreal, accepted off the alternate list today! Now to move from california :eek:

Unreal, accepted off the alternate list today! Now to move from california :eek:

Congrats!!!! Join the facebook group and if you have any questions at all feel free to contact me here or on facebook :)

I didn't know where to look, but would anyone know if there is a similar program for those on a waitlist at a dental school?

So i just read through this whole thread. Do any of you current ACP-ers have any info or suggestions. I've been waitlisted at a DO this week (but for some reason am really interested in MD) and contacted Miss Dawsey today about getting application materials. I don't know much about the program itself or the Tulane SOM either, so any push in the direction toward applying would be helpful.

Do any of you current ACP-ers have any info or suggestions..

Read this if you haven't already: http://www.som.tulane.edu/scb/acpinfo.htm

Shannon Dawsey will send you application materials via email. It's a very simple process because you just turn in your AMCAS or AACOMAS application, along with a letter of intent and statement of purpose (both of which can be combined into one document if you so choose), 3 letters of rec and a check.

I don't think applying early is helpful because all of the applications are evaluated later in the year (early June 2009 for the 2009-2010 class).

There really isn't a student profile for a successful ACP applicant. We have MCATs and GPAs all over the map. Some people are straight out of college while others have worked for a few years and/or earned additional degrees in other fields.

It's a very small program (16 students this year) which is nice, since we are integrated with the first-year medical students at Tulane.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Read this if you haven't already: http://www.som.tulane.edu/scb/acpinfo.htm

Shannon Dawsey will send you application materials via email. It's a very simple process because you just turn in your AMCAS or AACOMAS application, along with a letter of intent and statement of purpose (both of which can be combined into one document if you so choose), 3 letters of rec and a check.

I don't think applying early is helpful because all of the applications are evaluated later in the year (early June 2009 for the 2009-2010 class).

There really isn't a student profile for a successful ACP applicant. We have MCATs and GPAs all over the map. Some people are straight out of college while others have worked for a few years and/or earned additional degrees in other fields.

It's a very small program (16 students this year) which is nice, since we are integrated with the first-year medical students at Tulane.

Good luck!

okay so I JUST ran across this ACP program and now I'm really interested. Got the application materials today from Ms. Shannon. I have been accepted to a DO school that I really like, but I am waitlisted at LSU New Orleans. Should I pursue this program or not? Would it be a mistake to turn down the DO school acceptance? What is it like taking the classes alongside the medical students? Is there a lot of competition between all of the ACPers considering that you are all pretty much competing against each other for the same spots and not everyone gets into Tulane Med in the end? A lot of q's I know, but I'm confused! :confused::oops:

I have been accepted to a DO school that I really like, but I am waitlisted at LSU New Orleans. Should I pursue this program or not? Would it be a mistake to turn down the DO school acceptance? What is it like taking the classes alongside the medical students? Is there a lot of competition between all of the ACPers considering that you are all pretty much competing against each other for the same spots and not everyone gets into Tulane Med in the end?

Personally, I would get started at the osteopathic school and I say this with a whole lot of love for Tulane. Let me explain why:

First, there's the whole bird-in-hand argument: you're already to get started on being a physician without waiting another year, and that means not spending $12,500 on the program (+ living expenses) and forgoing a six-figure salary for a year.

Second, there aren't many schools, MD or DO, that cost more than Tulane. You'll probably spend less in tuition wherever else you're accepted.

Third, if for some unfortunate reason you don't surpass the average, you'd have to go through a whole new app cycle either concurrently or after ACP, both of which can cost thousands of dollars.

kennergirl said:
What is it like taking the classes alongside the medical students? Is there a lot of competition between all of the ACPers considering that you are all pretty much competing against each other for the same spots and not everyone gets into Tulane Med in the end?

The T1 students (the Tulane parlance for MS1) have been nothing short of great. They treat us equally in the classes we share with them and often turn to the ACP students for help studying. The TAs are (obviously) former ACP students, so they look out for the current batch of students too. It's a very collegial atmosphere, in my experience.

As for competition between ACP students: there is none. Last year, all of the students in the program (15) were accepted and two chose to go other schools where they also held acceptances. There is space for everyone, with the only caveat being that you must surpass the average.

I love ACP but given your circumstances, take what you've got and go become a physician. Waiting another year just to attend Tulane (and spending $12,500 to do so) when it isn't guaranteed doesn't make sense, in my mind.

Personally, I would get started at the osteopathic school and I say this with a whole lot of love for Tulane. Let me explain why:

First, there's the whole bird-in-hand argument: you're already to get started on being a physician without waiting another year, and that means not spending $12,500 on the program (+ living expenses) and forgoing a six-figure salary for a year.

Second, there aren't many schools, MD or DO, that cost more than Tulane. You'll probably spend less in tuition wherever else you're accepted.

Third, if for some unfortunate reason you don't surpass the average, you'd have to go through a whole new app cycle either concurrently or after ACP, both of which can cost thousands of dollars.

The T1 students (the Tulane parlance for MS1) have been nothing short of great. They treat us equally in the classes we share with them and often turn to the ACP students for help studying. The TAs are (obviously) former ACP students, so they look out for the current batch of students too. It's a very collegial atmosphere, in my experience.

As for competition between ACP students: there is none. Last year, all of the students in the program (15) were accepted and two chose to go other schools where they also held acceptances. There is space for everyone, with the only caveat being that you must surpass the average.

I love ACP but given your circumstances, take what you've got and go become a physician. Waiting another year just to attend Tulane (and spending $12,500 to do so) when it isn't guaranteed doesn't make sense, in my mind.

I think I agree with you. I've been accepted to Georgia PCOM, and the tuition is about the same as Tulane but like you said, I won't be paying that extra 12,500. Also, I'd get to start NOW. So unless LSU-NO decides to offer me a spot, DO school it is. Thanks for the advice-it really helped make my decision!

Are you saying surpassing the average gets you automatically accepted to next years class? I have not read this in any of the information materials I got from Shannon. I was under the impression you would have to apply regardless of your rank in the class.

Are you saying surpassing the average gets you automatically accepted to next years class? I have not read this in any of the information materials I got from Shannon. I was under the impression you would have to apply regardless of your rank in the class.

If history is any indicator, you need two things to get accepted to Tulane SOM from ACP:

1. Beat the average in Gross Anatomy and Histology
2. Don't upset classmates, faculty or staff by being rude, weird, etc.

You still have to apply via AMCAS but the admissions folks, who initially read what was essentially the same application when you applied to ACP (because you apply with the AMCAS that got you waitlisted), aren't going to be looking for anything more than your performance versus the medical school mean and evidence that you're not a jerk.

Again, that's the historical perspective. They're free to change things up at any point but that's how it's worked in the past.

If history is any indicator, you need two things to get accepted to Tulane SOM from ACP:

1. Beat the average in Gross Anatomy and Histology
2. Don't upset classmates, faculty or staff by being rude, weird, etc.

You still have to apply via AMCAS but the admissions folks, who initially read what was essentially the same application when you applied to ACP (because you apply with the AMCAS that got you waitlisted), aren't going to be looking for anything more than your performance versus the medical school mean and evidence that you're not a jerk.

Again, that's the historical perspective. They're free to change things up at any point but that's how it's worked in the past.

The only reason I'm realllllly thinking Tulane ACP might be a better route is b/c I want to do Derm. Not that DO school wouldn't allow me to pursue that route...b/c many DO's successfully match into good residency programs as long as they score high on the USMLE. But I know I would have more options if I get an MD degree. Decisions, decisions.

For those interested, the language of the ACP informational page recently changed (see http://www.som.tulane.edu/anatomy/acpinfo.htm). The page used to explicitly say an MD or DO waitlist letter was acceptable, but that has since been removed. You may want to contact the SCB office before completing an application if you are attempting to apply with a DO waitlist letter.

For those interested, the language of the ACP informational page recently changed (see http://www.som.tulane.edu/anatomy/acpinfo.htm). The page used to explicitly say an MD or DO waitlist letter was acceptable, but that has since been removed. You may want to contact the SCB office before completing an application if you are attempting to apply with a DO waitlist letter.

I recently inquired about this and was emailed an FAQ document along with application instructions.

Q: Will I qualify if I am waitlisted at an Osteopathic school?
A: Yes and the same rule applies that your waitlist letter cannot be older than two years.

I'm about to start the application for ACP. A few questions for people who have done this before.
1. Is the statement of purpose the same thing as a personal statement?
2. The letter of intent should include what exactly? This can't be the same as a letter of intent that you send to schools where you are waitlisted, can it?

I'm about to start the application for ACP. A few questions for people who have done this before.
1. Is the statement of purpose the same thing as a personal statement?
2. The letter of intent should include what exactly? This can't be the same as a letter of intent that you send to schools where you are waitlisted, can it?

The statement of purpose and letter of intent can be combined into one letter. Use the letter as a means of stating you're applying to the program (hence...letter of intent :smack:) and how/why the program will help you strengthen your medical school application. Try to insure that this letter is not identical to your personal statement because the admissions committee will read your PS when your application is evaluated.

Another piece of advice: don't agonize over this part of the application. I can assure you that the guy who reads and summarizes your app doesn't really care about the letter. He'll glance over it, but he's really interested in your AMCAS app and letters of recommendation.

I hope this makes some sense...we have a histo exam on Friday and my brain is fried.

Got my complete notice today. Guess there is nothing left to do but wait until June

For those of you who have applied (especially those who got in), would you be willing to talk about what you put in the letter? Swimchick mentioned that it isn't something to really stress over, but I'd still like to put more than "I'm applying. It will help me get into medical school. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease." I do have a few points that I can mention about my extracurriculars and so on, but I'd also like to not mirror my PS too much (unless that's a good idea). Thanks in advance for the help!

For those of you who have applied (especially those who got in), would you be willing to talk about what you put in the letter? Swimchick mentioned that it isn't something to really stress over, but I'd still like to put more than "I'm applying. It will help me get into medical school. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease." I do have a few points that I can mention about my extracurriculars and so on, but I'd also like to not mirror my PS too much (unless that's a good idea). Thanks in advance for the help!

They already have your PS from your AMCAS application so I'd recommend not mirroring your personal statement. Basically, I wrote saying blah blah blah I am writing in order to apply to the program, these are the things that will help me succeed (I have done quite a bit since my PS was written almost a year ago now) and this is why I am prepared. I then had a portion of why the program at Tulane will definitely help me gain admission to med school and why its program fit my own shortcomings as an applicant.

In short, don't rewrite your personal statement, I'd include anything you've done since applying for sure but focus on why the program is important. That said, I just applied this cycle and I'm not confident I'll get in just because of my stats and how competitive the program is.

Echoing what has already been said, do not let your letter be another summary of your personal statement. I accomplished a lot between the submission of my AMCAS and the time I was ready to apply for ACP (additional course work, job, volunteering and awards for my research). I highlighted all of that and emphasized how all of those accomplishments and activities solidified my decision to pursue a career in medicine. I spent the 2nd portion of my letter explaining how ACP would allow me to prove that I am academically capable of handling medical school.

If you complete the ACP successfully and are offered a spot at Tulane Med, do you start the next year with the M1s? In other words, do you end up repeating classes that you already took?

If you complete the ACP successfully and are offered a spot at Tulane Med, do you start the next year with the M1s? In other words, do you end up repeating classes that you already took?

You're exempt from the classes you took as an ACPer but you do sign an agreement to TA those classes (gross anatomy, histology and, optionally, neuroscience) when you start as a real T1. Basically, you complete the first year of medical school over two years or as I like to say, it's medical school on the five year plan.

You're exempt from the classes you took as an ACPer but you do sign an agreement to TA those classes (gross anatomy, histology and, optionally, neuroscience) when you start as a real T1. Basically, you complete the first year of medical school over two years or as I like to say, it's medical school on the five year plan.

Do you get paid for being a TA?

Do you get paid for being a TA?

Yes, with high fives, quality times with your classmates, all the break room coffee you can drink and the unending appreciation of the lab instructors.

Yes, with high fives, quality times with your classmates, all the break room coffee you can drink and the unending appreciation of the lab instructors.

Not to mention the more important teaching experience, better LORs and experience which will help you land that competitive residency

okay so let me see if this is correct:
1. get into Tulane ACP
2. take all of the first semester courses alongside the T1's and pass successfully
3. have the option of taking second semester courses or doing something else to better your application
4. get into Tulane as a T1
5. TA during the entire first semester
6. if you already took the second semester classes, you can TA again OR take the second semester classes if you chose not to
7. continue the rest of med school

Correct me if I am wrong please

okay so let me see if this is correct:
1. get into Tulane ACP
2. take all of the first semester courses alongside the T1's and pass successfully
3. have the option of taking second semester courses or doing something else to better your application
4. get into Tulane as a T1
5. TA during the entire first semester
6. if you already took the second semester classes, you can TA again OR take the second semester classes if you chose not to
7. continue the rest of med school

Correct me if I am wrong please

Not quite.

It used to be that Gross Anatomy and Histology overlapped and were both complete before the Winter Recess, meaning ACP was effectively a one-semester long program. No longer. The two required classes (Gross Anatomy and Histology) run in sequence, beginning in August and ending towards the end of March. The third class, Neuroscience, starts in the beginning of April and runs through mid-May, but you don't have to take it as an ACP. If you opt out, you'll take it with your classmates as a T1. Here's the breakdown of events.

If your waitlist letter is from a school other than Tulane SOM:
1. Submit AMCAS to Tulane and any other schools you want to attend before the end of August
2. Take Gross Anatomy (August-Thanksgiving), Histology (Thanksgiving through the end of March) and, optionally, Neuroscience (April - mid-May).
3. If you exceed the T1 average for Gross Anatomy, you will be offered an interview that will occur sometime between Thanksgiving and the end of March
4. Continue to do well in Histology, although Admissions doesn't seem to care nearly as much about that as Anatomy
5. Enjoy Mardi Gras
6. Learn of the admission committee's decision
7. If accepted, start as a T1 the following August
8. In the Fall of your T1 year, you'll take Biochemistry and Foundations in Medicine (FIM), while TAing Gross Anatomy and Histology
9. Enjoy Mardi Gras again
10. In the Spring of your T1 year, you continue taking Biochemistry and FIM, add Physiology and continue to TA Histology (ending in March) and starting TAing Neuroscience (if you took it as an ACP, otherwise you take it with the rest of the class starting in early April and ending in mid-May)

If your waitlist letter is from Tulane SOM, the story is pretty much the same except you do not have to interview at Tulane before the folks in Admissions render a decision. For this year's ACP class, those who had previously interviewed at Tulane found out they were accepted in mid-December, while those who hadn't been interviewed previously had an interview date towards the end of February with decisions being rendered about two weeks later.

Not quite.

It used to be that Gross Anatomy and Histology overlapped and were both complete before the Winter Recess, meaning ACP was effectively a one-semester long program. No longer. The two required classes (Gross Anatomy and Histology) run in sequence, beginning in August and ending towards the end of March. The third class, Neuroscience, starts in the beginning of April and runs through mid-May, but you don't have to take it as an ACP. If you opt out, you'll take it with your classmates as a T1. Here's the breakdown of events.

If your waitlist letter is from a school other than Tulane SOM:
1. Submit AMCAS to Tulane and any other schools you want to attend before the end of August
2. Take Gross Anatomy (August-Thanksgiving), Histology (Thanksgiving through the end of March) and, optionally, Neuroscience (April - mid-May).
3. If you exceed the T1 average for Gross Anatomy, you will be offered an interview that will occur sometime between Thanksgiving and the end of March
4. Continue to do well in Histology, although Admissions doesn't seem to care nearly as much about that as Anatomy
5. Enjoy Mardi Gras
6. Learn of the admission committee's decision
7. If accepted, start as a T1 the following August
8. In the Fall of your T1 year, you'll take Biochemistry and Foundations in Medicine (FIM), while TAing Gross Anatomy and Histology
9. Enjoy Mardi Gras again
10. In the Spring of your T1 year, you continue taking Biochemistry and FIM, add Physiology and continue to TA Histology (ending in March) and starting TAing Neuroscience (if you took it as an ACP, otherwise you take it with the rest of the class starting in early April and ending in mid-May)

If your waitlist letter is from Tulane SOM, the story is pretty much the same except you do not have to interview at Tulane before the folks in Admissions render a decision. For this year's ACP class, those who had previously interviewed at Tulane found out they were accepted in mid-December, while those who hadn't been interviewed previously had an interview date towards the end of February with decisions being rendered about two weeks later.

thanks! that answered my questions fully

great post TyrKinase...another question (though i think this has been answered many times over in a round-a-bout way): how do people pay for this program? is this just simply out of pocket (family and friends pitching in) or are there some sort of private loan system available? thanks again for your insight on this program.

Some people paid out of pocket...others (like myself) used a private loan. It's a bit more tricky to secure a loan because of the fact that ACP students are not considered to be matriculated at Tulane SOM and so we can't get the necessary school financial aid office approval that many loan programs require.

I used the Education Connection loan from Wells Fargo. It has an income requirement and, in most cases, requires a cosigner and small origination fee. However, it allows the ACP administrative assistant to simply submit a letter detailing the nature of the program in order to certify your need for the loan.

Also if you are accepted to the program, you are required to have (and show proof of) health insurance. This is something I wasn't aware of and ended up making it necessary for me to keep my job while enrolled in the program.

After inquiring about my options upon being waitlisted at 3 DO schools, someone suggested this program. I fit all of the requirement except that I don't have a physical letter of waitlist, since I shredded them in digust. There is however a way to check my status online, would that work as well or am I going to have to request some sort of waitlist letter? I want to apply this week

After inquiring about my options upon being waitlisted at 3 DO schools, someone suggested this program. I fit all of the requirement except that I don't have a physical letter of waitlist, since I shredded them in digust. There is however a way to check my status online, would that work as well or am I going to have to request some sort of waitlist letter? I want to apply this week

You need a physical letter.