Tulane ACP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cemurphy510

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time poster. I was just wondering if anybody knows what stats are competitive for the Tulane ACP? I can't find this info anywhere. If anybody has completed or been accepted to this program and wouldn't mind sharing there stats, I'd appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, first time poster. I was just wondering if anybody knows what stats are competitive for the Tulane ACP? I can't find this info anywhere. If anybody has completed or been accepted to this program and wouldn't mind sharing there stats, I'd appreciate it.

Well, a requirement for Tulane ACP is for you to be waitlisted at a US medical school (MD or DO)...so it isn't open for everybody. The Tulane Pharmacology program doesn't have that requirement, though. Do a search on here, you should find some more info.

yeah, I have been waitlisted, and was accepted into the Tulane Genetics program, just curious what typical ACP acceptees "look like."

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting tidbit. i'm thinking of applying to this program so i called on fri for more info. the lady i talked to said that 94% of ACPers go to tulane. i asked her where the people who choose to go elsewhere ended up over the years. she said hawaii and texas schools...? what does that mean?! haha

i guess this basically means go do that ACP if you want to be at tulane, right?

Question: how are housing and transportation in LA? I'm more concerned with transportation since I don't have a car.

Is the Tulane ACP program the same as--- the "Tulane University: Hayward Genetics Center One Year Masters Degree Program" ( link:
http://www.haywardgenetics.tulane.edu/education.php?page=Masters ) ?

If the ACP program and the 1 year master's program are not the same then how do they differ?

I would appreciate any input on the good and bad of the Tulane program(s).

Thanks.

Is the Tulane ACP program the same as--- the "Tulane University: Hayward Genetics Center One Year Masters Degree Program" ( link:
http://www.haywardgenetics.tulane.edu/education.php?page=Masters ) ?

If the ACP program and the 1 year master's program are not the same then how do they differ?

I would appreciate any input on the good and bad of the Tulane program(s).

Thanks.

ACP: two classes (histology and anatomy), one semester (I believe), cheaper, no degree, no graduate coursework credit, most students are accepted to Tulane School of Medicine, absolutely requires a waitlist position at a US MD or DO school.

Tulane Genetics: one full year of graduate coursework with credit, costs more, completion yields a Masters degree, fewer students are accepted to Tulane School of Medicine, does not require that the applicant be on a wailist.

I am not eligible for the Tulane ACP program; I did not apply to med school and not wait listed at a US MD or DO school.

Any feel for whether the Tulane Genetics program is worthwhile? The admissions rep I spoke to made the Tulane Genetics program sound like a credible program but with no secured linkage to a med school.

Thanks for your opinions.

Please take this with a 3kg grain of salt, but from what I've read here on SDN it seems like the Genetics program is worthwhile depending on the applicant. From what I've heard on this crazy board, a number of people end up getting into Tulane from the program while others get the necessary 'bump' in their application to make them just a little bit more competitive at other schools.

In the end, your competitiveness (read: mostly numbers) will make a large determination in where you end up going. If you have a poor undergraduate GPA, look into other programs designed to help you out in that area; pursuing a Masters degree might not be worth the time and the money if your end goal is medical school. If your MCAT isn't fantastic, take a course to improve it. If your MCAT and GPA are close to being good enough for medical schools to consider but a little bit short, a Masters at Tulane could definitely help your overall application (but it won't actually change your GPA).

In short, it's difficult to make hard and fast recommendations on whether or not a program is good. It really depends on the applicant. Best of luck.

Does anybody know if there is an application link somewhere online? Or is it necessary to contact them for one?

Does anybody know if there is an application link somewhere online? Or is it necessary to contact them for one?
You have to contact them. Very low tech. Wait until you see the info sheet PDF.

You have to contact them. Very low tech. Wait until you see the info sheet PDF.

I believe it was printed on a dot-matrix printer then scanned using something that came out of the early 90s. Why? Because using the "Print to PDF" function would make too much sense for it to be even tangentally related to the medical school admissions process.

The good news about ACP: you don't have to send in all your old transcripts. Instead, you just send in a copy of your AMCAS application. If you're like me and have >4 transcripts, this becomes a true blessing.

A few questions for Perrotfish (or anyone else familiar with ACP) because I couldn't find answers in the PDF that was sent out:

1. When do classes start?

2. Any idea how many people are waitlisted for the program?

3. Were you aware of any Tulane Pharm students who entered ACP after completing their MS?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
How are most folks paying for the ACP? The handout makes it sound like it's not federal aid eligible. Private loans aren't easy to get anymore...

Perrotfish: Apologies, I was asking specifically about your ACP experience. Thanks for the replies.

I poked around a little on the Tulane SoM website and it looks like the Anatomy Orientation begins on Tuesday, August 4th as per this calendar: http://tulane.edu/som/ome/upload/AcadCalendar0910.pdf.

DrMidLife: I will beg/borrow/steal in order to attend ACP if I'm fortunate enough to be accepted (*knocks on wood a bunch...*). You make a great point about the financial aid. I'm planning on calling the ACP folks tomorrow with a couple other questions I have about my app so I'll ask them about the financial aid angle as well. I'll post back with whatever they have to say.

Update from the ACP office: students who are accepted to the program are not eligible for federal student loans as the program is not degree-granting. Ms. Dawsey said that students often take out loans from private lenders (also called "continuing education loans") in order to finance their attendance.

Hi all....another ACP applicant here!

Welcome! The only downside so far that I can see for this program: the notification date. Waiting until June 15th is going to be tough.

Has anyone else applied to the MS in Pharmacology program at Tulane? If I don't get into ACP and I don't get off the waitlist, I'll probably still be heading to New Orleans to work on a Masters.

Yeah...the wait sucks but since I already live in New Orleans and work for Tulane SOM it's not too bad (assuming I get in, of course!). The biggest problem for me will be securing financing if I encounter any difficulty in trying to obtain a loan.

Good luck with the application!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can defer acceptance into ACP for a year after being accepted?

Does anyone know if you can defer acceptance into ACP for a year after being accepted?

Seems like a perfect question to ask the admission folks: (504) 988-5255.

Let us know what you find out. I'd be surprised if they do allow deferrals because it's such a small program.

Question for all who applied.

They require a statement of purpose and a letter of intent. They say that this can be combined as one.

Did you guys actually format this "personal statement" as a letter? I'm just about to mail out my application, but am rethinking if I should redo my essay in letter format. Right now, my essay is pretty much a personal statement in additional to why I want to attend Tulane ACP.

Will this hurt my application if I don't send this as a letter?

Thanks.

Question for all who applied.
Will this hurt my application if I don't send this as a letter?
Thanks.

No, I don't think it will hurt your application. Good luck!

Could any one who applied tell me what the application consists of? I tried e-mailing and calling the office but apparently Ms.Dawsey is out sick and the earliest i will be able to get the application is Tuesday! Hoping to start this weekend to make sure it gets in on time!

Thanks!

It consists of:

• AMCAS or AACOMAS (printed application)
  • Letter of Intent
  • Statement of Purpose (can be combined with LoI)
  • Hard copy of your wait list notification (absolulely required)
  • Three letters of recommendation
  • Any extras (CV, transcripts, etc) that might bolster your app
The people in the office are very nice but it can take them a while to respond. It's best if you can get all of the materials included in one package so you don't have to call back and check on your status.

And $75 application fee :)

The office has been moving slow this week....but for the right price I'll go and harass them since I work right down the hall :D

Good luck!!!

sorry, more questions... can the letters of rec be the same ones from amcas?if so, did yall get amcas to forward them or did yall get new copies?

thanks so much for the help!

You can use the same letters you used for your med school applications, but you'll have to send them directly to the SCB department. They can't access your AMCAS materials.

Did you receive a letter from the department stating that one's application was complete? I emailed all of the faculty from the anatomy department telling them how interested and how much I want to be in the ACP program. I emailed the head of the department and a couple of the other professors. They all responded favorably!

I didn't get any letter saying I was complete...however, I work at the med school so I hand delivered my app, confirmed they received my rec letters and my check for the app fee cleared the bank 2 days ago.

Last edited:
swimchick - where did you get waitlisted? what do you do at tulane? do you know anything about the pharm masters program? did you apply to that as well? Thanks!

Another data point: I received a letter from Ms. Dawsey with a receipt for my application fee about five weeks after I submitted my application. The application was complete long before that (I called 2 weeks post-submission to make sure letters were received) so I wouldn't worry too much about receiving an official "we have all your stuff" letter.

I was waitlisted at a DO school. I work as a research assistant at the med school and know many of the ACP admissions people, so it will be really awkward if I don't get into the program :oops:

I don't know much about the pharm program and I didn't apply to it.

Last edited:
I had 3 letters of rec sent in with my application. Did anyone send additional letters? Is this frowned upon? Does anyone know of the accepted stats for the ACP? It's so mysterious. Thanks.

I only sent the 3 letters.

I haven't come across the stats of accepted students...but imagine they would be somewhat similar to students accepted to the med school. As far as numbers go, I know that the lowest MCAT score they would consider is a 26 (I know because I asked :) ). When they evaluate your application, they go over everything and try to learn who you are, what you're about and if you'd fit with the mission of Tulane SOM.

I wish they'd give a number range, but I guess we'll know in a couple of weeks!

Just for kicks, I had a dream that I got into this program. That got me so excited until I woke up.

I walked by the SCB office this afternoon...saw a huge stack of ACP application files.

This is it...good luck everyone!!

As far as numbers go, I know that the lowest MCAT score they would consider is a 26 (I know because I asked :) ).

I was wondering if that would filter down to the SCB department. I'd heard that the med school admissions department had be given an MCAT cutoff for the first time this year.

Last edited:
An ACP thread from a couple years ago: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=119058

It doesn't look like there is a discernible trend in terms of GPAs, MCATs, etc. From what I've read, it seems like the ACP admissions people pick people who will be a "good fit" for Tulane SoM, as most of the students end up there. After all, everyone should be minimally qualified in terms of numbers if they managed to get on a waitlist.

Good luck to everyone!

I was wondering if that would filter down to the SCB department. I'd heard that the med school admissions department had be given an MCAT cutoff for the first time this year.

I heard that through the grapevine as well.

Parrotfish - you did the ACP program, correct? What were your stats that got you in to the ACP program?

Update from the SCB Department (yes...I'll come out and say it, I work in the SCB department...I just hope no one else from the department uses SDN :rolleyes:): They will begin reading applications this weekend and will convene on June 8th to make decisions.

Good luck everybody!!!!

What are you guys doing about your AMCAS apps for this cycle?

Mine is done and I want to submit it, but the little voice in my head is telling me to wait for my ACP decision so I can mention in in the AMCAS app if I get in.

Since you work at Tulane in SCB, who is on the "ACP Admissions Committee"? Is it just SCB faculty, or others?

It's comprised of a small group of people who hail from various departments at the med school