SMP acceptances to Tulane Msc in Medical Genetics and Duke MBS program. Please help me decide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healthbabe

Reaction score
So I recently was given acceptances to Tulane's Masters of Medical Genetics and Genomics program and Duke's MBS program. I will be graduating this spring and thought to go the SMP route given that I would like to increase my sGPA and get a masters in my gap year. I also liked how both of these programs offer clinical experience which I am lacking. I am planning on applying this 2024 cycle to go to medical school 2025. Anyone who has done either of these programs - your response or advice is greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision soon!

Tulane ("estimates that over 90% of their graduates who apply to medical school or osteopathy school have been accepted in subsequent years")
PROs:
  • Small class size (16 students max)
  • offers clinical shadowing experience at their own clinic
  • Love the program director (we have already seemed to establish a great relationship with one another because we have similar research/career interests)
  • Program starts in late August (starts later than Duke (july 5th) as a recent graduate - I like how this will give me a little more time to enjoy my freedom lol)
  • Program cost: $24,000 (It's probably one of the cheapest SMPs I've seen especially for such a great school)
  • It's close to home (I'm from Texas so it's like a 6 hour drive)
  • NOLA seems like such a fun city to experience
  • The school of medicine is downtown and separate from the undergraduate campus
  • Offers graduate housing
CONs:
  • No guarantee to their medical school
  • Not sure exactly how they help their students get into medical school

Duke ("The rate of offer acceptance has been high every year – approximately 75%")
PROs:
  • highly recognized program (if I do well it could allow me to get into more prestigious medical schools)
  • Could open many opportunities post graduation if I don't matriculate next cycle
  • EMT-certified training (adds clinical experience)
  • Offers class with training on getting into medical school

CONs:
  • Program cost: ~$50,000 (ive been considered for a scholarship but it won't even make a dent in my tuition)
  • Durham doesn't seem as fun as NOLA lol
  • Program is very rigorous and could potentially hurt me if I don't do well (its 38 credits in 10 months)
  • No graduate housing (+housing near the SOM is expensive)
  • Larger class size than Tulane (~40 students)

Members don't see this ad.