Tulane ACP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You need a physical letter.
Ok I will try to get that letter again. How can we send the LOR's? Through interfolio? and does a composite committee letter count instead of 3 individual letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I will try to get that letter again. How can we send the LOR's? Through interfolio? and does a composite committee letter count instead of 3 individual letters?

Says three individual letters but I would contact about a committee letter, its probably allowed. And it asks for them to be mailed or faxed, but if you contact them maybe they will allow email.

Says three individual letters but I would contact about a committee letter, its probably allowed. And it asks for them to be mailed or faxed, but if you contact them maybe they will allow email.
I e-mailed back and forth with Shannon yesterday. She said it was okay for me to have Interfolio e-mail my letters to her.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know roughly how long the letter of intent should be? I can't really write more than half a page without repeating myself

does anyone know roughly how long the letter of intent should be? I can't really write more than half a page without repeating myself

i'd shoot for 1-2 pages double spaced. this has come up before... you gotta do some research and dig deep. make some references to why 'this program' specifically is good for you, with details. this is your last ditch for med school so just think about that

too many applicants i guess

Probably not. There has been a push in the medical school under the most recent Dean to increase the numbers (mainly MCAT) across the board. This means not only traditional applicants, but those who enter the SOM from other programs (i.e. ACP, Pharm, Cell & Molecular Biology, etc) are faced with an MCAT 'floor'.

Does anyone know how the application from the acp to the som goes? Do you apply through amcas or do they use the packet submitted for acp? Or is it automatic? I can't find any info on this. I don't know how they could factor your acp grades into the app when it is due before the program starts.

Does anyone know how the application from the acp to the som goes? Do you apply through amcas or do they use the packet submitted for acp? Or is it automatic? I can't find any info on this. I don't know how they could factor your acp grades into the app when it is due before the program starts.

The process is not automatic. ACP students must submit a normal AMCAS application with Tulane SOM listed (along with any other schools the applicant may be interested in). Following submission of the primary, ACP students fill out the secondary application which is supposed to be turned in well before the deadline this coming cycle (September I believe, but accepted students will receive clear instructions).

The department of Structural and Cellular Biology (SCB), which hosts ACP, forwards grades from the ACP coursework to the admissions committee, who evaluate that in addition to your submitted AMCAS.

Probably not. There has been a push in the medical school under the most recent Dean to increase the numbers (mainly MCAT) across the board. This means not only traditional applicants, but those who enter the SOM from other programs (i.e. ACP, Pharm, Cell & Molecular Biology, etc) are faced with an MCAT 'floor'.

^What he said

The SCB dept. would love to have a lot of ACP apps...more money for them :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Stupid question alert!
On the pdf it says that a copy of the AMCAS application needs to be submitted. This needs to be the AMCAS application that got you on a waitlist right? Or do you need to start a new AMCAS application for the same year and send a copy of it to the ACP?

Stupid question alert!
On the pdf it says that a copy of the AMCAS application needs to be submitted. This needs to be the AMCAS application that got you on a waitlist right? Or do you need to start a new AMCAS application for the same year and send a copy of it to the ACP?

Turn in the AMCAS (or AACOMAS) which earned you a waitlist spot with the ACP application. You will still need to complete a 2011 AMCAS application if you're accepted to ACP because the department of Structural and Cellular Biology doesn't share your app with the admissions committee.

who should the letter of intent be directed to?

who should the letter of intent be directed to?

Something to the effect of "Admissions Committee, Anatomy Certification Program, Department of Structural and Cellular Biology".

Stupid question alert!

Hey I called about that. The lady told me you can send in the most current application you have filled out. So I bascially filled out the 2011 application and sent that in. Then I printed out the 2010 part with all the grades and stuff.

I figure adding all the updates I did last year to the application couldn't hurt. My letter of intent was only 1 page. Keeping it short and sweet!

Anyways I hope I atleast get WL :)

mailed everything yesterday..now we wait.
Do they send confirmation when your app is complete?

mailed everything yesterday..now we wait.
Do they send confirmation when your app is complete?

You'll get a receipt for your application fee in the mail. This serves as confirmation that they received your app.

The above assumes they haven't changed the admissions procedures for this year.

You'll get a receipt for your application fee in the mail. This serves as confirmation that they received your app.

The above assumes they haven't changed the admissions procedures for this year.

Will they let us know if we are missing something?

Or should we call?

Will they let us know if we are missing something?

Or should we call?

You'll receive an email or letter stating your application is complete, along with a receipt for your application fee. When I applied, I think I got a letter saying my LORs hadn't been received by a certain date, and by the time I contacted the office they had arrived from my pre-med letter service.

My AMCAS is complete and I am ready to submit on June 1st. Do I wait to hear back from Tulane ACP before I click submit? I haven't entered Tulane into my AMCAS. Thanks

Do they wait until the last day to inform applicants of the decision?

Do they wait until the last day to inform applicants of the decision?

Last year's application submission deadline was May 29, 2009. Accepted students were notified on June 8, with some waitlist movement occurring over the summer.

I'm not sure what the deadline is/was this year, but I'd assume that decisions will be distributed in the next week or two.

Last year's application submission deadline was May 29, 2009. Accepted students were notified on June 8, with some waitlist movement occurring over the summer.

I'm not sure what the deadline is/was this year, but I'd assume that decisions will be distributed in the next week or two.

This year's deadline was June 4th. They told us they will let us know by June 28th.

I hope it is before that! I can't wait anymore...

Hey they cashed my check today. So does your application have to be complete by June 4th? Cuz I haven't received anything from them but I'm assuming the cashed check is a good thing.

Any inside scoop on when the committee is meeting?

Any inside scoop on when the committee is meeting?

The dept. chairman has been out of town most of the week...I'll see what I can find out when he gets back.

Last year, the committee met on June 8th and e-mailed most decisions that afternoon. The dept. chair has to read through every ACP app and write up a short summary of the applicant. I imagine the committee probably won't meet until closer to the decision date as mentioned in the information letter.

Hey swimchick, do you know if the committee is the same committee that meets to review the med school applicants? Is Dr. Beckman on this committee?

Since it says the programs gives priority to people with MCATs >30, does that mean that I won't have a shot if my MCAT isn't 30 or above?

I guess my question is does that come first and foremost during selection or do they look at other factors such as GPA, EC, LOR....

Thanks!

Since it says the programs gives priority to people with MCATs >30, does that mean that I won't have a shot if my MCAT isn't 30 or above?

I guess my question is does that come first and foremost during selection or do they look at other factors such as GPA, EC, LOR....

Thanks!

Where does it say that?? I think they are looking for the best fit for their school.

Where does it say that?? I think they are looking for the best fit for their school.

From the ACP website (point #5 towards the end of the page):
A photo copy of all MCAT scores. As long as your score is indicated in your AMCAS application you do not need to submit a separate copy. You need at least a score of 28 on your MCAT in order to apply. However, applicants with a 30 or higher will have priority.
I'm pretty sure the part about priority given to those with a 30 or greater is brand new. That being said, if you have a 29 and a solid application, there isn't really a good reason not to give it a shot (unless you really don't have the $75 application fee to spare).

Hey I just called and the lady said decisions will probably come out later today or early tomorrow!!

Hey I just called and the lady said decisions will probably come out later today or early tomorrow!!

:eek: Thats great! Any indication on how they will be informing us?

EDIT: Just read the website and it says we should find out via e-mail. Not sure how I'm going to pay for this program but I'll figure out a way if I get in! lol

I is nervous now. Most likely a rejection though.

Last edited:
Last year acceptances came attached as a PDF document to an otherwise empty email. There was no indication in the email whether or not it was an acceptance.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear, and if you get waitlisted, don't sweat it too much. Some people get in off the ACP waitlist every year.

I is nervous now. Most likely a rejection though.

your stats are way better than mine! lol Have faith. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. I've now got my e-mail open while at work though so I can see when they come out lol

your stats are way better than mine! lol Have faith. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. I've now got my e-mail open while at work though so I can see when they come out lol

If you're applying to the program then you probably have some deficiency in your application. Mine has several, yours only has one. That is why I think my chances are not as good as others might think. Still hoping for good news though.

If you're applying to the program then you probably have some deficiency in your application. Mine has several, yours only has one. That is why I think my chances are not as good as others might think. Still hoping for good news though.

Your stats look excellent. I don't know how much this matters, but the only disadvantage I see is that you're Canadian. Otherwise, you look golden.

Good luck everyone.

I kind of wish I didn't call because now I'm super nervous. But she did say possibly tomoorow morning so hang on everyone!

Losar your stats r better than mine too so don't fret!

Holy **** I got IN!!!!!! OMG!!!!! I can't believe it!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Now I hope you get into your waitlisted medical school :)

Did you find out via email or did you call the office????

Last edited:
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!

Now I hope you get into your waitlisted medical school :)

I hope so too but hey this is better than what I had planned. Thanks for LOSAR too for telling me about this program :thumbup:

I hope some other people hear good news today.

I hope so too but hey this is better than what I had planned. Thanks for LOSAR too for telling me about this program :thumbup:

I hope some other people hear good news today.

:thumbup:Excellent. Congratulations.
Now come on Tulane, send some good karma my way.

I found out via Email (12:30pm PST), just like someone previous said, they attached a letter. I almost pooed in my pants opening it up :laugh:

how come nobody else has heard anything? I'm still waiting too. This can't be good.

how come nobody else has heard anything? I'm still waiting too. This can't be good.

I'm wondering the same. Bad news bears. :laugh:

We shall see, surprising that one person heard and no one else has though. Normally they'd send all of the decisions close to one another, or at least I'd expect it to be that way. Maybe we'll hear tomorrow morning :confused:

I had to swing by SCB for some paperwork. I can assure those of you waiting that desks are covered in apps and things are moving. Given that it's 5PM it may pick up again tomorrow, so it shouldn't be a long wait if you haven't heard already.

I got an email today at 3:00, I was accepted as well. My GPA is <3.00, so I'm sure if you guys have weaknesses, it wont matter that much if you are a good fit. That being said I do have a 36 on the MCAT.

Anyone who is interested in a roommate, I have a car, and I will DEF be attending next year. Good luck to everyone, I'm sure most of you will hear back tomorrow