Tufts vs. Brown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MAguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cost aside which is a better program?

Members don't see this ad.

Brown, without question. And providence >>> medford & chinatown

Members don't see this ad :)
I think both programs are great. Brown Med School will have brand new facilities within a year and the university is really proud of its med school. They are really putting a lot of money into it. Brown students are getting an ipad2 or a laptop this year :)

If I had to choose between this two, I would choose Brown (Providence wins hands down over the area of Boston where Tufts is). Brown is also the only med school in town, another reason I think why students are taken care of so well..

I am applying to both schools. Interestingly, I recently (Sunday night) visited Brown Medical School in Providence. It was a wind-swept, slightly rainy, warm night... and the city was beautiful. The campus was beautiful. I walked through Rizzdee and was inspired; I stood near the river and watched the wind play across the water.

I am not sure what the area around Tufts is like, but I am sold on living near Brown. :)

I am applying to both schools. Interestingly, I recently (Sunday night) visited Brown Medical School in Providence. It was a wind-swept, slightly rainy, warm night... and the city was beautiful. The campus was beautiful. I walked through Rizzdee and was inspired; I stood near the river and watched the wind play across the water.

I am not sure what the area around Tufts is like, but I am sold on living near Brown. :)
the area around tufts is gorgeous.

if you like to see the wind sweep trash across chinatown..

Uhh guys? Providence is kind of a pit. I'd rather be in Boston, even in chinatown.

Tufts is a great school with awesome facilities, but brown does with out on rep and matching, and will probably have better clinical exposure due to less in city competition. Go with what feels right.

Uhh guys? Providence is kind of a pit. I'd rather be in Boston, even in chinatown.

Tufts is a great school with awesome facilities, but brown does with out on rep and matching, and will probably have better clinical exposure due to less in city competition. Go with what feels right.

Your best bet is to live on the south shore and commute to Brown. Many grad/med students do this. That way, you can go into Boston whenever you want and enjoy the best of both worlds.

What? Providence is no pit dude. My best friend goes to Brown, and College Hill is a great place to live, as well as downtown Providence. The town is artsy, there is great theater, good clubs and there is a lot going on weekends. As a matter of fact, some of us go from Boston, New York and New Haven to hang out with our buddies in Providence on some weekends. Four years in Providence is not a bad thing.

and what about the clinical years at both programs?

and what about the clinical years at both programs?

Brown is the only medical school in town so their students "rule" during clinical rotations, community clinics, research opportunities, etc. Boston has Tufts, Boston University and Harvard as major players. Clearly there is more competition there.

If you are into rankings, Brown and Tufts are ranked about the same in research, however Brown is also ranked in primary care (30) and Tufts does not make it into the top 50. I guess this would be more relevant for residency, but I thought to share that info with you as well.

Brown undergrads really like Tufts as a medical school though (and Tufts seems to like Brown undergrads as well). Tufts med has the greatest number of Brown students than any other school. I guess the student body at both schools must be similar. Good luck!

Brown is the only medical school in town so their students "rule" during clinical rotations, community clinics, research opportunities, etc. Boston has Tufts, Boston University and Harvard as major players. Clearly there is more competition there.

If you are into rankings, Brown and Tufts are ranked about the same in research, however Brown is also ranked in primary care (30) and Tufts does not make it into the top 50. I guess this would be more relevant for residency, but I thought to share that info with you as well.

Brown undergrads really like Tufts as a medical school though (and Tufts seems to like Brown undergrads as well). Tufts med has the greatest number of Brown students than any other school. I guess the student body at both schools must be similar. Good luck!

PC: Tufts is at 33...Brown is at 49 (but they dont matter :D)

Last edited:
if you like harry potter, maybe you will meet emma watson at brown

even better, maybe she likes doctors ;)

i heard she dropped out.

I'd go to Tufts. Boston is an amazing city.

You heard wrong. She is taking a semester off to finish a Potter movie. (A friend is taking a class with her.) Boston is an amazing city indeed, but not chinatown. Providence is 45 minutes from Boston anyway :D

I work at Tufts Medical and I also interviewed (and was admitted at Brown) this year.

I love Brown, and I'm seriously considering it against Mount Sinai (which many people would be tempted to say is even a more "no-brainer" choice when compared to Tufts vs. Brown, but Brown IS that good, in my opinion).

+ Brown is the only medical school in the entire state of RI. This is actually more significant than it sounds, even if RI is the smallest state in the nation. Brown's affiliate med centers practically take care of everything that goes on in the state (med students can opt to work on a 2-man clinic in one of the Bay Islands, providing health care to the rich folks that vacation on the island). Their system is quite comprehensive, from private hospitals, to public med centers, to a VA hospital as well. Also, one peripheral "benefit" that a M4 mentioned to us when we were there is kind of funny if you think about it, but I thought it was still pretty cool - some medical organizations have representatives by state, so the chapters in each state nominate a person to represent the state at the annual conference...guess who gets picked to be the RI representative? ; )

+ I expect Brown's rankings to jump after the new med building is finished. I think for a long time Brown has been held back because of their ancient facilities+infrastructure, but it looks like the administration is trying to change all of that after the new building is complete. This should reduce a lot of the criticism that Brown has had about outdated facilities. The initiative to give the class of '15 IPads or laptops is another example of serious commitment to med students.

+ They are decreasing the number of PLMEs and taking more "AMCAS admits."

+ With the opening of the new building, Brown is also going to adapt the "academy system" for its med students. This is the model that HMS follows with their societies (cf. basically like Hogwarts, where students are sorted into houses). This change is propagated partly due to one of the new admins in charge of student life that they have, who they pulled from HMS actually.

+ Brown's "Doctoring" program is one of the best mentoring/getting M1 and M2 exposed to clinical care systems that I've seen across the 9 schools I interviewed at. My SO goes to UCSF, and I think Brown's Doctoring system even beats their preceptorship program by far.

+ Look at how Brown med students match. They actually match disproportionately well to Boston (read: Harvard-affiliated programs), and a significant number manage to match to California as well. You would not expect this kind of match list from a school that's ranked in the mid-30s.

+ Something related to the above is that Brown seems to have a very good relationship with HMS. Brown students can access the Harvard Medical Library System (online and I guess in person too), and the Admissions Director told the people at my interview day who are interested in the MD/MPH program to just do the MPH at Harvard, because they take a ton of Brown Med students. This is something that's curious that I didn't know about until interview day.

+ The class is small, which I really like. ~100 is the ideal size for a med class.

In my mind, Brown vs. Tufts is basically no contest (I withdrew from Tufts (and a lot of other schools) after Brown). Good luck!

Hmm, thanks for the info karayraisu. I've also been accepted to Brown, and I liked it a lot, but the interview and visit was kind of a sleep-deprived blur for me. Do you remember if Brown is P/F?

So i hear why brown is great. But what about tufts is good? what about their new curriculum change or the hospitals affiliated with them or the clinical years?

So i hear why brown is great. But what about tufts is good? what about their new curriculum change or the hospitals affiliated with them or the clinical years?

+1. Want an experienced person's take too.

Status
Not open for further replies.