Tufts MBS 2009-2010 (entering Fall 2009)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey quick question. how do waitlisted candidates find out if they are taken off the waitlist and ultimately accepted? Do they chance the decision letter on the website automatically and if I keep checking periodically will I find out? Do they send an email...?

Members don't see this ad.

So we should include our Tufts coursework on AMCAS right? There is no course numbers but that is not required for AMCAS. Other question is, do we enter the elective and the lab/library based thesis (2 credits) into the coursework section?

Any other tips would be appreciated. Just making sure I get this right as I am trying to send off the AMCAS application next week.

Is anyone else planning on only doing the one year masters with the thesis? I went to the open house last night and their stance seemed almost anti-one year program saying that nobody should apply during the cycle, having no concrete numbers to show that anyone had succeeded in doing the MBS program this way, really pushing the two year. Surely, I can't be the only one that isn't interested in taking two years to get going on med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else planning on only doing the one year masters with the thesis? I went to the open house last night and their stance seemed almost anti-one year program saying that nobody should apply during the cycle, having no concrete numbers to show that anyone had succeeded in doing the MBS program this way, really pushing the two year. Surely, I can't be the only one that isn't interested in taking two years to get going on med school.

As long as I don't go to Georgetown, I plan on only doing one year without the thesis. I am choosing to do so because I have shown academic stability in the following ways: a 4.0 for the last year and a half of undergrad and I am wrapping up my three semester anatomy masters with a 3.8. For me, these SMPs are a way to absolutely positively seal the deal this year.

hey quick question. how do waitlisted candidates find out if they are taken off the waitlist and ultimately accepted? Do they chance the decision letter on the website automatically and if I keep checking periodically will I find out? Do they send an email...?

They will update the status on the website...This recently happened for me but I had called and spoke to them and they told me I got in and that I should check the website for the info..I would also try writing a letter to them, that worked pretty well for me. Good luck to you :luck:

Hey there ya'll - I've posted on here before, but figured I'd say hi again now that some of you know what your plans are for next year. I was a member of this past year's class and am happy to answer any questions - especially about applying to med school during the program.

So we should include our Tufts coursework on AMCAS right? There is no course numbers but that is not required for AMCAS. Other question is, do we enter the elective and the lab/library based thesis (2 credits) into the coursework section?

Any other tips would be appreciated. Just making sure I get this right as I am trying to send off the AMCAS application next week.

There are course numbers, email Vivian to get them (they show up on the transcript). The thesis project (at least for the first MBS class) was considered a 2 unit P/NP course.

I was in the 07-08 class. A handful of people from my class applied and were accepted to Tufts for '08. If you're already a borderline applicant (you have a decent chance as you currently stand), consider applying for next year. If your app needs some serious help (as did mine), it's probably not a good use of resources.

You can also do other things besides be in school - finish the coursework and the thesis in one year, then do whatever you want (read: work to fight debt) for the interim year.

waitlisted here at tufts. 3.2 undergrad gpa and 33P (13ps, 8vr, 12bs).

Hi everyone! I will also be attending the MBS program this fall :) I was wondering if anyone was looking to share an apartment? I found some two bedrooms at a decent price, kind of close to school...let me kno if your interested! (female roomate please) also if you already have a place and need another roomate, let me kno!

For all those accepted, I've found that you can now create a Tufts email account and log on to their TUSK site which contains all course information, last year's schedule, syllabi, and other info. A lot of useful stuff!

For all those accepted, I've found that you can now create a Tufts email account and log on to their TUSK site which contains all course information, last year's schedule, syllabi, and other info. A lot of useful stuff!

Where do you go to do that?

Where do you go to do that?

http://www.tufts.edu/med/admissions/phpd/newstudentorientation.html

If you go this link, in the middle of the page it has a link for creating a email account and Tufts ID. With the id you can log in to the TUSK website (http://tusk.tufts.edu/) Looking at last year's schedule was pretty informative. Looks like classes are scheduled differently for each week, about 2/3 of them in the afternoon, and 1/3 in the morning. I'll probably come in early to get some study hours in before classes though.

Morning study groups anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in. I was planning on getting in early as well even though its mostly afternoon classes.

http://www.tufts.edu/med/admissions/phpd/newstudentorientation.html

If you go this link, in the middle of the page it has a link for creating a email account and Tufts ID. With the id you can log in to the TUSK website (http://tusk.tufts.edu/) Looking at last year's schedule was pretty informative. Looks like classes are scheduled differently for each week, about 2/3 of them in the afternoon, and 1/3 in the morning. I'll probably come in early to get some study hours in before classes though.

Morning study groups anyone?

absolutely morning study groups! my brain works way better in the am....... ill be there with tons of coffee!! haha

absolutely morning study groups! my brain works way better in the am....... ill be there with tons of coffee!! haha

Yeah definitely, me too. I'm kind of glad it's set up that way.

to all those accepted/attending congrats! i was just wondering, now that we're all in, where do we plan on living? i've been calling the office trying to locate roommate finder resources because i want to get an apartment in boston and share it with someone in this program...... any alums have any advice? and/or anyone entering need a roomie? are people going to the open house on thurs? ok thanks!
--Katie

Hey Katie,

I'm looking into apartments too, I've found a few decent places under $900 but I'm interested in rooming with someone in the MBS program. I also posted on the Facebook group too, so we'll see if anyone else is interested. Have you found a place yet? Feel free to email me at the address I posted in the Facebook group. Hope to hear from you!

Jennifer

For any of the current/former MBSers: What is the exam schedule like in the block system? About when would the first set of exams fall?

Just curious.

For any of the current/former MBSers: What is the exam schedule like in the block system? About when would the first set of exams fall?

Just curious.

Our first exams were around the second week in September. Exams come every 2-3 weeks...but with the changed curriculum I have no idea if that will be the same.

With regards to Tufts being against applying during the MBS, Tufts School of Medicine seemed to be very much against this. Tufts MBS didn't seem to care either way though...They are probably just hoping that you will do the MPH program (more $$$ for them and less for you!).

Hey Guys,

Since some of us just graduated, do we send our transcripts to Tufts (med) Registrar to confirm we did receive a degree?

Thanks

Why / How did they change the curriculum?

One of the professors told me about this at the info session. I forget the details, but I think it had to do with updating the curriculum to be more integrated (and more like medical school curriculum).

Does anyone know if it's possible to miss the august 21st orientation? I have conflicting plans that would be difficult to change, and did not know about the orientation until recently.

Hey guys,

Congrats on your acceptances. Currently there are two of us looking for a 3rd roommate. My other roommate will be a 2nd year medical student and he was in the inaugural MBS class. I was in the same class and am going to finish my MPH /work this year while applying. So we'll have all the tidbits for success in MBS.

But here are the details: Good sized room (can easily fit a large desk and queen sized bed and other accessory furniture) at the Metropolitan, 4th floor. This building is a 30 second walk to Posner and no more than a 2 minute walk to Sackler, M&V, and Sterns where you will have all your classes. Right across the street from the Orange Line and very close to the Red and Green Lines. Safe building with concierge and secure door access. Rent will be about 1000...maybe a bit less each month. Utilities will run about another $50 each month year round. Here's the building link: http://www.themetropolitanboston.com/

Please PM me if you are interested.

Hey guys - Room just opened up. Let me know if you are interested.

So, I've been accepted into Tufts MBS program, the Loyola MAMS program and the UPenn SSP. I'm trying to get as much information as I can about all of them, so I've come to you all for help. Don't let me down!

I went to a good undergrad school, but had a bad GPA, 3.05 cum, 3.11 science. I don't have much volunteer work, but I did get a 35 on my MCAT.

I love boston, and so I'm leaning towards tufts, but I am a little concerned about the lack of stats on med school admission, and about the fact that the program hasn't been around for long.

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews regarding Loyola on here, and honestly don't know much about it apart from the basic information.

UPenn is obviously an SSP, not an SMP. I'm still considering the accelerated tract for it, however, because the reputation of the program is very enticing, as is the fact that all of the classes are nights and weekends, which would allow me to do a ton of volunteer work.

Do you guys have any advice/information/other threads to point me towards?

The way I looked at it when I decided to go to Tufts regarding the new nature of the program and therefore lack of stats was that although the MBS program is new, Tufts University is not. It is a very well known name even outside the Boston area. Also my adviser told me the kid from my school that he helped get into the program in the MBS inaugural year will be attending Tufts Med this upcoming fall, so they do take their own. Just my two cents.

this was forwarded from a friend of mine who did the program last year...hope it helps

The program is 90% identicle to the first year of medical school at tufts. that means you take the same classes they take (at the same time of the year they take it for the most part) but the mbs class is treated as a second section of the same course. that means that if the medical students have the biochem lecture in the morning at 9am, you might have it at 10:30 or 1:30pm the same day. so typically their classes are in the morning and yours are in the afternoon for the most part. so that means that you have the same professors (who are really good, and experts in the field) as the medical students, and the same exams, just given in different rooms. while the medical students get a pass/fail/honors grade, you will get an actual grade for the same course. your grade would be determined by using the grades of the medical students, so your curve is based off of their performance, and usually it is equivalent, which is a great way to show medical schools that you are competent.

there are 3 blocks in a semester and classes are either 1 or 2 blocks of a semester. so last semester, this the classes that i had:

block 1 (5 weeks roughly)
molecular biology
biochemistry

block 2
biochemistry continues
immunology
cell, tissue, organ biology (the cell bio part here)
clinical medicine (very similar to CH 107, science and practice of medicine, same professor)

thanksgiving

block 3
cell, tissue, organ biology (now the histology component)
clinical medicine

so as you can see, it started with 2 classes, was 4 classes in october and november, then after thanksgiving was back to 2 classes. from mid october on, you had an exam once or twice a week every week until dec 19th, but at any once time, its not as intense as a finals period where you could have 3 finals in 2 days kinda thing.... all in all, i did a lot better in this program than in undergrad classes, for some reason, perhaps because i study with my roomate who is in the med school, so there is hope.

the 2nd semester is a little more intense. you only have 2 weeks "grace period" with 2 classes and then it becomes 4-5 classes pretty quickly. everyone takes physiology, anatomy, pathology, and nutrition. then you must choose one elective as well. most people do epidemiology if they are considering doing an mph the following year. i am doing law in public health, an mph course which is very different and informative.

Thank you for the first-year synopsis. This is very-helpful for incoming students and potential admits.

Is anyone else having trouble logging in to the Application Status Website? I've been getting an error message all day.

Hi, I recently got acceptances from both Drexel IMS and Tufts MBS and now have to decide quickly which one to go to. My main concern is about the difficulty of doing well in the classes, so if anyone could help answer my questions I'd so appreciate it:

1. Is there a lab component to Tufts? If so, which classes have the lab component and how are we tested on lab work?

2. What's the grading curve for Tufts? I'm leaning towards Tufts but I'm afraid the program (ie getting A's) will be more difficult at Tufts than at Drexel. I know both Tufts and Drexel grade against the med students. But Drexel's average is a B and I don't know about Tufts. I would imagine Tufts is harder because it's the higher ranked med school.

3. Does anyone have a list of texts for Tufts?

Thanks!

Hi! I recently decided to come to Tufts and needed help with housing. Anyone know of a place? Thanks.

Hi, I recently got acceptances from both Drexel IMS and Tufts MBS and now have to decide quickly which one to go to. My main concern is about the difficulty of doing well in the classes, so if anyone could help answer my questions I'd so appreciate it:

1. Is there a lab component to Tufts? If so, which classes have the lab component and how are we tested on lab work?

2. What's the grading curve for Tufts? I'm leaning towards Tufts but I'm afraid the program (ie getting A's) will be more difficult at Tufts than at Drexel. I know both Tufts and Drexel grade against the med students. But Drexel's average is a B and I don't know about Tufts. I would imagine Tufts is harder because it's the higher ranked med school.

3. Does anyone have a list of texts for Tufts?

Thanks!

I got a request to answer these questions on the main board so here we go...

1. Lab portions to exist for Cell Tissue Bio and Anatomy but both are computer based. However, the profs do allow MBS students to go to the lab to observe. Or become good buddies with a med student and you can go help them dissect during after hours.

2. You really are not compared against med students test to test or class to class. The MBS class has an average and grades are distributed from that average. Typically the mean and above will get As and A-s and below will get the gambit of Bs. If you are really far off from the mean, you might be looking at a C. However, after the program is over, the program director does extrapolate your overall performance against the score range of med students and your approximate rank is included in the committee letter.

3. Don't worry about texts except for anatomy and path (both 2nd semester). The syllabi are sufficient for the other courses. If you really need a text, you can always get it on reserve at the library.

However, after the program is over, the program director does extrapolate your overall performance against the score range of med students and your approximate rank is included in the committee letter.

3. Don't worry about texts except for anatomy and path (both 2nd semester). The syllabi are sufficient for the other courses. If you really need a text, you can always get it on reserve at the library.

Huh... I either forgot, or slept through, when they told us that the approximate our rank... Interesting to know and now I'm slightly tempted to ask.

As for 3, on the bright side my current school has Robbins as a "required" text. Also, for the texts, do yourself a favor and pick up the Netters flash cards. :thumbup:

hi everyone...i'm new here. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the MBS program can also be for those who might NOT pursue med school afterwards?

I got a request to answer these questions on the main board so here we go...

1. Lab portions to exist for Cell Tissue Bio and Anatomy but both are computer based. However, the profs do allow MBS students to go to the lab to observe. Or become good buddies with a med student and you can go help them dissect during after hours.

2. You really are not compared against med students test to test or class to class. The MBS class has an average and grades are distributed from that average. Typically the mean and above will get As and A-s and below will get the gambit of Bs. If you are really far off from the mean, you might be looking at a C. However, after the program is over, the program director does extrapolate your overall performance against the score range of med students and your approximate rank is included in the committee letter.

that's a very generous curve

hi everyone...i'm new here. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the MBS program can also be for those who might NOT pursue med school afterwards?

Yes...though there may not be too many people to talk to given how new the program is and the fact that the grand majority are med school bound.

that's a very generous curve

So it may seem. But the averages are usually very high and anything below a B- at the grad level is considered a failing grade.

Check your email, the schedule for the Fall is there!
Very happy they decided to keep the Intro to Clinical Medicine class.

I saw that as well. Pretty pumped that they are keeping it.

So it may seem. But the averages are usually very high and anything below a B- at the grad level is considered a failing grade.

Negitive. Anything below B- is bad juju, but you still get credit for the course for any grade at or above C. C- and below are failing (and yes, people did fail courses).

Hey guys! Does anyone know if the class is full or if they are still accepting students?

Hey guys! Does anyone know if the class is full or if they are still accepting students?

They are no longer accepting students:

Dear Wait List student:

This has certainly been a banner year for Tufts MBS program with regard to the number of applications we received. At this point, the MBS class entering fall 2009 is filled and we will be unable to offer you a seat. We realize this news is disappointing and know that you have been very patient throughout this process.

The MBS Office, Admissions Committee, Tara Risi (Admissions Counselor) and I have very much enjoyed working with you and wish you well in your academic and professional careers.

Best of luck!!

Emily

i know a couple of individuals (myself included) that have a spot and choose not to attend.. don't give up hope!

So I just got into Tufts MBS but I also have a spot at BU MAMS and I can't decide between the two. Ahhh! What would you all do?

lol. relax. also, i'm not correcting your grammar, but instead your vocabulary.

:rofl:

grammar/vocab, the point is people are correction nazis on SDN and I don't really give 2 cents cuz its just a chat website. If th point is there thats what counts.

gujubond,

I'm curious to hear what your response is to my question..

Loveplums,

good luck with your decision.

2 cents would generally be referring to "opinion." now i've corrected your diction/idiom!

:roflcopter:

As has been mentioned before, Tufts Med is just as well-recognized as BU Med, and the classes we take are identical to the first year med program, so probably adcoms will not question the legitimacy of the program.

I think both are great programs, but having applied to both this year, I felt strongly that Tufts was better organized and more enthusiastic--probably their "youth" as a program is actually to their advantage.

When I applied to Tufts, my application was reviewed within 2 weeks and an admissions decision was mailed to me within 3.5 weeks.

When I applied to BU, I called 2 weeks later to find out if my recommendation letters had been received. I was told to call back in 2 days, and that my application materials were "all over the building" right now. I don't know what "all over the building" might mean when everything was submitted electronically, but I got the impression that they didn't really have their stuff together.
It made me think that maybe when it came time to write committee letters, my materials would once again be "all over the building" ;)
This seems to add up with the fact that BU has been increasing its class size so drastically over the last few years. Probably they have built up a certain reputation for the program, and now they're using it to make money?
That isn't to say that you won't get the same benefits from completing the program--but I personally want a committee that is going to fight for me to get into med schools because they are pressed to make a reputation for themselves.