Tufts MBS 2009-2010 (entering Fall 2009)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

Congrats on your acceptances. Currently there are two of us looking for a 3rd roommate. My other roommate will be a 2nd year medical student and he was in the inaugural MBS class. I was in the same class and am going to finish my MPH /work this year while applying. So we'll have all the tidbits for success in MBS.

But here are the details: Good sized room (can easily fit a large desk and queen sized bed and other accessory furniture) at the Metropolitan, 4th floor. This building is a 30 second walk to Posner and no more than a 2 minute walk to Sackler, M&V, and Sterns where you will have all your classes. Right across the street from the Orange Line and very close to the Red and Green Lines. Safe building with concierge and secure door access. Rent will be about 1000...maybe a bit less each month. Utilities will run about another $50 each month year round. Here's the building link: http://www.themetropolitanboston.com/

Please PM me if you are interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone on this forum made a decision between Tufts and Georgetown?

I would love to hear which program you chose and why.

On that note, I'll say it is a pity that Tufts program is so young because if it were even a few years older that schools would have heard of it, it has the potential to be right up there with BU MAMS and Gtown SMP and probably is. But right now because it is so new a lot of schools just don't know about it. But I think as long as the letter of rec they write you really shows that you are taking med courses and speaks highly from you, you will be fine because Tufts is as well known as Gtown and BU as a medical school. That's what I gathered from the head of committee at the med school I talked to.

Thanks guju. Appreciate the input. Your comments pretty much confirm the impression that I got from my own research. Seems like Tufts has a lot going for it outside of the fact that its such a young program. I think Boston is much more livable than DC, but I guess its hard to argue against a more established program considering the Geogetown consistently seems to send its graduates to schools in my home state.

I definitely don't think anyone who chooses Tufts is getting short-changed though.

Members don't see this ad :)
How time consuming is the MBS program? Is it possible to work (I would like to make some $$) while enrolled in the program?

How time consuming is the MBS program? Is it possible to work (I would like to make some $$) while enrolled in the program?

I agree with guju on this one. As somebody who went through the program during its first year, it is certainly one hellish experience which requires pretty much all your time. The time you do have free would be best spent relaxing or doing something fun. But there are several on-campus opportunities such as working at the library which would allow you to study while working.

I agree with guju on this one. As somebody who went through the program during its first year, it is certainly one hellish experience which requires pretty much all your time. The time you do have free would be best spent relaxing or doing something fun. But there are several on-campus opportunities such as working at the library which would allow you to study while working.

That's exactly the type of job I'm looking for. Do I just have to stop by the library once the semester starts? The library websites don't list any open positions..

I'll be attending the open house at the end of the month where I hope to meet fellow MBSers! And I'm still trying to figure out how much loans to take out, gaaah.

Hi all,

I'll be attending Tufts in the Fall and am totally unfamiliar with Boston. Just wondering where everyone was living. Any recommendations?

I'm currently in DC, but decided to fly up to attend the Open House on May 28th...perhaps I'll see some of you there! :)

Tufts Med School is in Chinatown which itself is pretty much in the heart of downtown Boston. Your best bet would be to live close to the subway (T). The green line Boylston stop and the orange Chinatown stops are the closest, and the red line Park St stop isn't far either. Generally the further you are from downtown the cheaper the rents go, obviously. Try looking on Craigslist for Brookline, Allston, or nice parts of Jamaica Plain.

Good luck!

That's exactly the type of job I'm looking for. Do I just have to stop by the library once the semester starts? The library websites don't list any open positions..

I'll be attending the open house at the end of the month where I hope to meet fellow MBSers! And I'm still trying to figure out how much loans to take out, gaaah.

Yes, just stop by the library. They tend to hire most at the beginning of each semester. There are also other jobs such as working with the school's database (TUSK). As for loans, 45K should be about right...I found it easier to start looking the other way regarding how much debt I am in. That shall be a future worry.

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew or had a rough estimate about how many spots are left? Also, what's the average GPA and MCAT for people that are applying to Tufts? It's my top choice and I REALLY hope to get in. Do they look at all at research experience?

Does anyone know what happens to the MBS students that get into Tufts and stay? Are they MSII? I know that you don't have to repeat classes, but I'm not sure what that would mean in terms of med student status.

I believe they'd be MS1 but they'd have to take the clinical portion of classes and other classes they didn't take as an SMPer.

At all SMPs, you will start as an M1 not M2 even if you've done a SMP. you will have to take the rest of the courses you didn't but still pay full tuition at the ones that allow you to not have to repeat classes. Those who do this and decide not to repeat will usually do things like become a TA for a class, do research to up their app for residency in the future, etc.

that is what I was told at the EVMS thread since they have a similar policy. Those who decide to retake do it because they have to pay the same tuition anyways and get the honors rather then just straight pass or because its review for the boards and keeps the info fresh.

Some programs don't allow you to skip out of courses and make you retake everything even if you've taken it in an SMP. USF is like this.

Thanks guju.

Can anyone from Tufts confirm?

Thanks guju.

Can anyone from Tufts confirm?

So the way it worked this past year is that members of the first MBS class that got into Tufts Med had the option of exempting out of at most two classes by taking an exemption exam. Even if they were able to demonstrate their knowledge in other subjects, they still had to take the course over.
This opportunity will likely not be fully available to the incoming MBS class as that the medical school is doing a curriculum overhaul to an organ systems approach and there likely will be very little overlap in terms of the exact same courses. However, the MBS material covered will still be very similar if not exactly the same as the med school - it just might not be organized in the same manner.
I would treat the MBS therefore as simply an opportunity to show that you can do med school work. Several of my classmates who did the MBS to Tufts Med transition found it beneficial to repeat courses for a number of reasons. All MBSers will start out as M1s if they get into Tufts likely with no chance of exempting out but the M1 year will likely be easier given a stronger foundation entering med school. This likely stands true if you end up going somewhere else as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the way it worked this past year is that members of the first MBS class that got into Tufts Med had the option of exempting out of at most two classes by taking an exemption exam. Even if they were able to demonstrate their knowledge in other subjects, they still had to take the course over.
This opportunity will likely not be fully available to the incoming MBS class as that the medical school is doing a curriculum overhaul to an organ systems approach and there likely will be very little overlap in terms of the exact same courses. However, the MBS material covered will still be very similar if not exactly the same as the med school - it just might not be organized in the same manner.
I would treat the MBS therefore as simply an opportunity to show that you can do med school work. Several of my classmates who did the MBS to Tufts Med transition found it beneficial to repeat courses for a number of reasons. All MBSers will start out as M1s if they get into Tufts likely with no chance of exempting out but the M1 year will likely be easier given a stronger foundation entering med school. This likely stands true if you end up going somewhere else as well.

Thanks Cali. Appreciate the thorough answer.

THANK YOU!!!!

I think the point of an SMP is to show you can handle the coursework not find a way to get out of doing courses later in med school. that is why they make you retake things.

I hear you. Unfortunately, money is an issue for me, and if I could save money by not retaking a year of med school, I would have to jump all over it.
It's also good to know exactly what you're paying for before you make a decision.

Here's an article for anyone interested which includes interviews with two Tufts MBS alumni:

http://www.tufts.edu/med/news/features/springboard.html

Lots of good things to say. It also includes some acceptance numbers for the first year class (apparently 15/53 first year students were accepted while in the program - 8 at Tufts and 7 elsewhere). This info is in the third to last paragraph.

Thanks for posting the link. It was very informative and positive.

I had a couple of questions about the program.

1) What are the exact start and end dates. I know it says it starts last week of august and ends mid august I believe. But are there set dates for orientation. And if M.S. can be completed at the end of the first year in mid august, what about students applying to medical schools that might start before mid-august.

2) What is the certificate option that is mentioned in the website? Is it just completing the required coursework without the thesis? One doesn't get an M.S. for this do they?

3) Is the only way to stay the 2nd year to do the MPH option? What if I am more interested in research, would I be able to find a research lab and conduct research for the 2nd year. If so, what is the advantage of this if one can usually get paid for many of the full time lab positions.

Let me know if anyone has answers to these questions. Thanks.

Hey everyone,

Do you know how many spots are left? Also, are they waitlisting most people? My app was sent to the admission committee on Monday (per calling in and asking) and I'm just wondering what I might expect in turn around time?

Tufts is definitely my first choice!

My stats were 3.2 cGPA/3.1 sGPA and 33Q mcat. I also have a bunch of activities that make me a good applicant. I will be applying to med school this summer despite my low GPA.

I figured the same thing and couldn't have possibly been a "better applicant." I applied to 20ish med schools this past cycle with a 33P and a 3.2 and didn't get in anywhere. As a matter in fact, Tufts was the only school that granted me an interview, which I thought to be strange since not even the SUNY schools offered me interviews, and I'm a NY resident!

Furthermore, my basis for writing this is not in aim to bash confidence, but just be ready if things don't "work out" this time around. Best of luck!

Wait, you can still apply? whens the deadline?

Thanks for posting the link. It was very informative and positive.

I had a couple of questions about the program.

1) What are the exact start and end dates. I know it says it starts last week of august and ends mid august I believe. But are there set dates for orientation. And if M.S. can be completed at the end of the first year in mid august, what about students applying to medical schools that might start before mid-august.

2) What is the certificate option that is mentioned in the website? Is it just completing the required coursework without the thesis? One doesn't get an M.S. for this do they?

3) Is the only way to stay the 2nd year to do the MPH option? What if I am more interested in research, would I be able to find a research lab and conduct research for the 2nd year. If so, what is the advantage of this if one can usually get paid for many of the full time lab positions.

Let me know if anyone has answers to these questions. Thanks.

1. The reason why it is a calendar year long is for students to be able to finish their thesis. If you are in a hurry, there is ample time to get the thesis done before August to allow fall matriculation.

2. Yes, a certificate = passing grade in all classes (3.0 or above) with no thesis. This option is however very much discouraged. An MS is only awarded upon coursework and thesis completion.

3. Yes, a lot of people do this. They end up doing a lab or clinical research based thesis. Paid research positions if your work PI would agree to be your thesis advisor as well would be a possibility. Grants and fellowships may be an option as well. But for the most part, people go about the research option without any money.

Thanks Cali for the responses. I emailed Tufts these same questions (albeit in a nicer way) and they pretty much responded the same. Except they said that if one is not graduated by August and they are planning to attend medical school, they can take a leave of absence and come back the summer after. However since you reaffirmed that there is plenty of time to complete a library based thesis, that seems like a better option.

I'm in the Tufts MBS Class of 2009! I was also accepted to the Rosalind Franklin program, but Tufts was the obvious choice for me. I'm waiting to hear from Georgetown, Cincinnati and NYMC, but I think I'd rather go to Tufts. Can't wait to start!

By the way, anyone know what kind of gym facilities are in the area?

What is the average GPA of those accepted?

Today I called and they said that 2/3 of the class has been filled.

1. The reason why it is a calendar year long is for students to be able to finish their thesis. If you are in a hurry, there is ample time to get the thesis done before August to allow fall matriculation.

2. Yes, a certificate = passing grade in all classes (3.0 or above) with no thesis. This option is however very much discouraged. An MS is only awarded upon coursework and thesis completion.

3. Yes, a lot of people do this. They end up doing a lab or clinical research based thesis. Paid research positions if your work PI would agree to be your thesis advisor as well would be a possibility. Grants and fellowships may be an option as well. But for the most part, people go about the research option without any money.
Hey I'm convinced. I just sent in my deposit with my candidate reply form. I can't wait.

In addition, I created a Facebook group for the 2009-10 class: http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/group.php?gid=87497945823

One more thing:

Anyone from the area know where I should start looking for housing...anyone interested in rooming together?

Can anyone comment on whether I'll have a decent shot at getting into this program?

I have a 30 MCAT, 3.0 cGPA and 2.8 sGPA, and a well-rounded list of EC (research, volunteering, etc).

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone comment on whether I'll have a decent shot at getting into this program?

I have a 30 MCAT, 3.0 cGPA and 2.8 sGPA, and a well-rounded list of EC (research, volunteering, etc).

Thanks in advance.

I had similar stats to you and I've been accepted, I currently have a 3.2 cumulative GPA with a 3.0 science GPA, a 30O MCAT (which I'm planning on retaking this July) and a whole lot of research, volunteering and clubs.
When did you submit? Are you complete yet?

I had similar stats to you and I've been accepted, I currently have a 3.2 cumulative GPA with a 3.0 science GPA, a 30O MCAT (which I'm planning on retaking this July) and a whole lot of research, volunteering and clubs.
When did you submit? Are you complete yet?

Everything has been submitted as of today so I suppose I do not have the "completed" status just yet.

All that I've read about this program is promising and positive. Although it will cost me an arm and a leg (literally, I'm seriously a disadvantaged applicant), I think it will be worth it.

The website status thing was wrong last time i checked. it said i wasnt complete for ages, so i called and i'd been complete for over a month

I just called up the number listed for admissions - no-one specific.

Sorry that doesnt help

Just found out that I got waitlisted. Does anyone know if everyone who does not get accepted ultimately gets put on the waitlist and what the turnaround time/chances for success are involved with that?

Gibson and guju,

Do you guys mind sharing your stats (in this thread or PM me)? Thanks.

I PM'd you but let us just say that if I could get on the w/l, you have a shot at getting at least a w/l position if nothing else. You should still apply and apply BU MAMS as well.

Thanks, guju.

I have applied to the Tufts program. I really hope to get into this program.

As for Boston MAMS, I'm still holding back because they prefer students to stay in the program for two years with each year costing $36,000+. This is just tuition! Add in living cost (ie. rent, food, etc) and that's way too much money for me. I don't know if I will be able to secure enough loans to pay for everything and my family is already struggling as it is. I don't think they will be able to support me.

Good luck to everyone.

So I'm at a crossroads here. I just received my acceptance from Drexel with an acceptance already in hand from Tufts. I'm also currently on the waitlist for Georgetown. Thoughts about the following would be appreciated:

1. Tufts vs. Drexel
2. Tufts vs. Georgetown

heyyy!!! i am so excited that i just got my acceptance today wooooo!!!!!!!! is anyone in the tufts mbs 2009 2010 group on facebook?

heyyy!!! i am so excited that i just got my acceptance today wooooo!!!!!!!! is anyone in the tufts mbs 2009 2010 group on facebook?

I'm on the facebook group. There's around 10 of us in total.

As for Tufts vs. Georgetown I have thought about it thoroughly and here is my opinion. I am currently waiting to hear back from Gtwon (so I may not have the option to actually pick it) but I still think I would pick Tufts.

Reasons:
1) Tufts is a smaller program with smaller classes than Georgetown. I like the personal feel to classes and Gtown seems like too much since they put 400 students in one classroom (I've been told only 150 max attend normally).
2) Tufts has the 2nd year option in case I don't get in to medical school right away, I am really interested in research. That opportunity is available which would give my master's degree more value.
3) Tufts seems like more bang for your buck. The separate classes from the medical students, the really cheap second year. Professors in smaller classes get to know you better so they would be able to write better letters (again in case you need it for something else).
4) Even though georgetown is more likey to get one into medical school (probably), I feel Tufts would be better for my development as a student (smaller classes) and give me more options.

I'm in the Facebook group too! Hopefully we can get more of the Tufts class in it.

I'm just waiting for my spring grades so I can send them to Georgetown, but I'm still pretty sure I'm going to choose Tufts over Gtown. I know Gtown is more prestigious and all that, but I consider the small class size of Tufts a greater boon to my goals than the prestige of Georgetown. The point of SMPs like this are to show admissions committees that you can do well in classes that are similar, if not the same, as the ones med students are taking. This would probably be a lot easier with smaller class sizes and more personalized attention. I also love Boston and it's close to NY, my home, but that's more a personal thing. I guess in making your decision, just choose what you think will be more beneficial to your application. Good luck, USFMedical!

I appreciate the thoughtful responses to my post. Thanks all! It has been incredibly tough because I am currently finishing up my anatomy masters at USF medicine and currently have a 3.8 in the program and contemplated whether or not to do an SMP in the first place. But I'm just not ready to go another application cycle without an interview. Looks like it'll be a win-win with Georgetown and Tufts. I think I'll let Drexel know I'm not attending.

What are the rest of your stats?

Undergrad BCPM: 3.17
Graduate BCPM: 3.78
MCAT: 29P with the following breakdown: PS-10, VR-9, BS-10

ECs:
150+ hours of shadowing in six different specialties.
Two major research projects.
Leadership in all of the following: fraternity (Vice President), my job (5 years employment), and study sessions in the anatomy program.
Private tutoring in org chemistry and all subjects in the anat program.
2 years volunteering at the hospital in the ER.
Recently joined Hands on Tampa Bay for community volunteering.

Yah and honestly Tufts is a new program, BUT it is as a well well reputated school that is on the same playing field as both BU and Gtown, the schools that host the 2 oldest SMPs. Tufts Medical school I've heard is an amazing, amazing program. I had at least 2 friends from USF who interviewed and got accepted there in past years who loved it but chose elsewhere for other personal reasons. 2 former USF classmates are also now there for dental school. 1 family friend is out there for dental school as well. they all love it.

The small class size makes it seem like a more close knit program, but not too small that too few get in like USF IMS, EVMS BMS, or UCincy MS Physio programs are.

But my absolutely most favorite part of the Tufts curriculum is that they include that clinical component I talked about above.

If it was between Tufts and BU I'd probably still choose Tufts.

I think that as long as they write a strong letter while you are in the program and you do really well in the program, USFmedical will have a shot at coming back to Fl. and maybe make history as being one of the first Tufts kids to get in Fl. schools, as far as former SMPers go. Because of the reputation of the medical school, if it is made clear what this program is i.e. the equiv. of Gtown SMP, then you will impress adcoms in Fl.

Guju, I see you are very enthusiastic about Tufts. I did want to let you know that the clinical part of the MBS program is going through a bit of a change this year. It will be more like an intro to pathology course which is probably good as that 2nd semester pathology will not be as overwhelming as it was for us and MBS II.

If your MCAT was higher I think you'd get away with the lower ugrad GPA but because you don't have that, I'd still do the SMP. Oh and whatever you do don't listen to the osde office at USF Health. If you want a second opinion i strongly urge you to speak to Dr. Gonzalez and Leila Amiri as well as REL. REL posts on here as well so you can PM him too. He's quick about responding most of the time.

I have spoken to both Dr. Gonzalez and Leila several times. Both were very helpful throughout the process. However, both were very unsure as to whether or not I should continue on to an SMP in light of my success in the anatomy program. Leila said it would not be so much for academic purposes, but rather for learning new skill sets and allowing ADCOMs to see how I would do compared to medical students. And both thought that it would take completion of the anatomy program for it to pay off. Like I said though, I'm not ready to go another round without an interview and hopefully acceptance.

That's interesting. what do you mean by overwhelming????? What do you mean by MBS II?? Do you mean those who do a 2nd year when you say MBS2? Pathology would still be similar to medical courses like 2nd year med pathology right???

Just asking. now you've got me curious. Also are they completely doing away with teaching he clinical stuff?

I like the layout from what I saw. I just hope I get off either this one's w/l or Gtown's SMP w/l. I'm in limbo.

Oh by MBS II, I mean the 2nd MBS class. So this fall will be MBS III. In terms of overwhelming, the 2nd semester pathology course is one the med students do not take. It is a summarized version of what you would get as a 2nd year medical student. The tests are modeled directly after the Step 1 so it was quite an overwhelming test for MBSers.

As for the clinical portion, yes they will be getting rid of what is described online but it will be remodeled into a course which streamlines a lot of the elements described online with an intro to pathology theme. It will be taught by the same professor who teaches the 2nd semester MBS patho class. The clinical class should still provide some introduction to history taking, physical diagnosis, and patient-provider communication but do realize there will be no patient interaction.

Oh and good luck with the W/Ls

yah in that case I'd go ahead and do it if you don't want to take chances and don't mind incurring the cost. I have heard that outside of the IMS at USF, that the Anatomy program is the toughest Med Sci MS. I have heard that getting a 3.8 in that MS program is much harder then to do so in the other MS programs like Pharmacology, Med Micro, or Mol. Med. And I imagine it is harder then the women's health program or online programs as well.

I have heard that a lot of last year's kids were not getting 3.8s very easily and many were doing poorly in gross anatomy. So to get that kind of GPA in such a program shows that you will probably do well if you do an SMP and I wouldn't worry about the risk factor with SMPs because you seem to be intelligent enough to succeed in one.

I'd go ahead and do the Tufts program or Gtown one if you get off the Gtown w/l. But I think Tufts looks like a cooler program personally because it has the added benefit of teaching you how to take histories do the clinical things, etc. and this is something that miht look unique to medical schools. Although Dr. G told me that Tufts program is not something he's heard of, he said it wouldn't really matter in the end which program you do as long as you are taking medical courses and doing well in them and getting a strong letter from the person writing your letter from the program. Also I know a lot more people coming from USF who had made it into Tufts for dental or medical school i.e. at least 5 people I've been friends with as opposed to other schools.

And if you get in Gtown SmP that is of course well known with USF as shown in the alumni records on the website.

I wish you well and get the feeling that you will get in this year if you continue to do well.

Out of curiosity do you plan on retaking the MCAT or applying with your score. Your ECs seem fine and if you wanna enhance them any when in Boston or DC I'm sure there are opportunities there.

Sometimes I tinker with the idea of retaking the MCAT, but then I think about everything it entails. And personally, I'd rather take medical school courses to prove myself (the ultimate way to show you can handle the material in my opinion) rather than retaking the MCAT. If I wasn't going to pursue an SMP though, I would take this upcoming year off to prepare for and retake the MCAT. The test just seems too much like a crap shoot since it can make or break an entire application. Just the thoughts of a mad man though...

Sometimes I tinker with the idea of retaking the MCAT, but then I think about everything it entails. And personally, I'd rather take medical school courses to prove myself (the ultimate way to show you can handle the material in my opinion) rather than retaking the MCAT. If I wasn't going to pursue an SMP though, I would take this upcoming year off to prepare for and retake the MCAT. The test just seems too much like a crap shoot since it can make or break an entire application. Just the thoughts of a mad man though...

I'm re-taking the MCAT before the SMP starts. I'm enrolled in a Kaplan class on my university's campus and I'm scheduled to take it July 30th. I'd rather not leave any loose ends when I re-apply. Just something to consider. I wouldn't be doing too much with my summer anyway, except working on AMCAS and secondaries.

I'm re-taking the MCAT before the SMP starts. I'm enrolled in a Kaplan class on my university's campus and I'm scheduled to take it July 30th. I'd rather not leave any loose ends when I re-apply. Just something to consider. I wouldn't be doing too much with my summer anyway, except working on AMCAS and secondaries.

My summer is filled to the brim with gross anatomy (including cadaveric dissections) and wrapping up my thesis. Definitely no time I can devote to studying for the MCAT. I might be biased here, but I figure a 29 isn't a "loose end" per se. It's just a component that doesn't stand out as being amazing. As I've heard many times, "Good not great", referring to my MCAT score. I would just hate to see the score go down. The MCAT is what I'll tackle if I don't get in this upcoming year, because it expires shortly thereafter. Trust me, I constantly think about taking the MCAT. And perhaps I might utilize the MCAT prep service up at Tufts if that's where I choose to go.

Yah I think for Fl. schools you could get away with the score you have if you end up doing an SMP to be on the safe side which will show an extra 30 credits or so for you to show an upper trend. i think you will get in somewhere with such.

You talk about upward trends, my BCMPs for each year of undergrad were: 3.64, 2.33, 3.21, 4.0. Can't beat that for an upward trend. And I maintained that 4.0 for my 2nd semester of junior year, but of course that's disguised behind the 3.21 because it includes the 1st semester of junior year, too. So the 4.0 was actually maintained for a year and half. Grad BCMPs for the first two semesters are 3.73 and 3.81. So I've showed academic stability for some time, but that 2.33 just screwed up everything. What can you do though?

to all those accepted/attending congrats! i was just wondering, now that we're all in, where do we plan on living? i've been calling the office trying to locate roommate finder resources because i want to get an apartment in boston and share it with someone in this program...... any alums have any advice? and/or anyone entering need a roomie? are people going to the open house on thurs? ok thanks!
--Katie

Hey Guys,

I was just curious if anyone knows how much the second year MPH program costs? I saw the second year financial aid info, but wasn't sure if that was actually the tuition. Thanks for the inisght.

I will be at the open house on Thursday. Hope to meet some of you guys there!

Hey Guys,

I was just curious if anyone knows how much the second year MPH program costs? I saw the second year financial aid info, but wasn't sure if that was actually the tuition. Thanks for the inisght.

I will be at the open house on Thursday. Hope to meet some of you guys there!

I did the MPH this past year, and am pretty glad that I did it. I knew I wanted an MPH and overall I received a strong foundation in how health systems and infrastructure work. There are some curriculum issues to sort out but the faculty and Academic Senate are working on it so hopefully it will be better this coming year. Tuition is approximately 1100 per unit. And you need 48 MPH units to graduate. However, you only pay for 44 units the second year as that you will take Epi as your 2nd semester elective during MBS so there is some tuition overlap. Still quite a bunch of money so only do the MPH if you know you want it!!

Hey all! Congrats to all those accepted! I found out I had been accepted about two months ago and now that we are getting closer to starting I was just wondering if anyone knew about the class schedule. I know orientation is on aug21st and classes start on the 24th. How many classes are there a week and what are the possible timings? This info is crucial for me as i'll be commuting from Worcester and I have three kids, two of which will be going to school. Lemme know!Maybe I'll see some of you at tomorrows open house :)