Tufts MBS 2009-2010 (entering Fall 2009)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They are probably just hoping that you will do the MPH program (more $$$ for them and less for you!).

Err... not really. When I was in Tufts MBS I was on the fence for a while about doing the MPH and ended up meeting with Dr. Schlaff, the MPH program director. He actually advised against me taking it there saying that I could take it later once I finish medical school if I still wanted to. At least during the first year of the MBS program there was absolutely zero pressure to do the MPH.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow...they changed it up big-time this year and made the first semester really intense.

Anyone have any idea what "TuftsCARES" is?

Wow...they changed it up big-time this year and made the first semester really intense.

Also, do they print out the syllabus materials for you or do we have to print out the PDFs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

If I recall correctly, Tufts wants you to do some community service during the program. At least during the first year it wasn't really pushed that much, but I'm not sure how it's evolving with time.

Also, do they print out the syllabus materials for you or do we have to print out the PDFs?

Thanks!

The MBS staff is awesome, and print everything for you.

all the syllabi will be printed and bound for you. You will pick them up before classes start from the office.

About the TuftsCARES: not required, only highly suggested, but something you really need to be doing anyways for med school. They have a booklet that has suggestions on where to volunteer, but its really open ended and as long as your volunteering in something meaningful in the boston community, they'll accept it. Its just another plus they know your involved in and can mention in your letters.

That said, Tufts small class size is an advantage cuz professors may get to know you better then they will in a bigger program. But a lot will still be dependent on you and how you do and how proactive you are with your applications.

Its true. we had seventy ppl in our class, and it seemed all but maybe 3-4 of them (out of over 20) tried to get to know a portion of the class individually, especially the ones that lectured more than 5 times. They may not remember your name, but they do know who you are, and even now, when i run into some randomly on campus, they initiate conversation and ask about the app process (meaning they know im MBS). Yes its a smaller size thing, the next class is supposed to be closer to 100 kids, so i dont know how that will play, but i think its more the fact that these profs have awesome personalities.

Thanks for the help!

all the syllabi will be printed and bound for you. You will pick them up before classes start from the office.

About the TuftsCARES: not required, only highly suggested, but something you really need to be doing anyways for med school. They have a booklet that has suggestions on where to volunteer, but its really open ended and as long as your volunteering in something meaningful in the boston community, they'll accept it. Its just another plus they know your involved in and can mention in your letters.

I thought the website said this year was also supposed to be 70 people. If they are increasing, that to me seems like they too want people's money.

its always about the money.

but they justified it saying that the med class was increasing by 20-25 people as well.

gotcha.

Tufts is also proving this by slowly increasing its class size from 30 to 50 to 70 and now to a 100. I'm sure it will to reach 180 in the future like Gtown or BU which says 220 but I've heard has more like 180-190 in the end.

totally on the money, they have every ambition to increase the size of the class, the advantage of "smaller class size" is unique to the program being new, not to Tufts specifically. You gotta take that as you will.

Hi! I wasn't able to attend orientation so I am terribly confused. The syllabi for all the classes can be picked up at which office? Also, in the MBS schedule, there is something called an Integrated Exam. What is that?

Also, are the professors pretty good about posting their lecture notes online? From what I saw on TUSK, it seems to be the case, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi! I wasn't able to attend orientation so I am terribly confused. The syllabi for all the classes can be picked up at which office? Also, in the MBS schedule, there is something called an Integrated Exam. What is that?

Also, are the professors pretty good about posting their lecture notes online? From what I saw on TUSK, it seems to be the case, but I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance!

you probably didnt miss much from the orientation, mostly just a chance to meet the other kids. friends are overrated anyways;)
The Integrated Exam is new to the curriculum, so we didnt have it last year, i think its just a new format to exams. did you see any non-integrated exams on the schedule?

Syllabi will be picked up from Carol in the MBS office after she emails you saying they are ready; the office is located in the M&V building, to the right, behind the security guards desk. Since you missed orientation, go there early, pick up your ID too from that security station. M&V is the one with all the construction and scaffolding that surrounds the entrance, only one way in.

Professors are very good about getting up lecture notes before the lecture. I think last year only two professors had to put it up after the lecture, and it was only for one lecture each. TUSK is almost always perfectly up to date.

The integrated exams are 3 hours long and include material from each class. They did this in place of having a separate exam for each class. All exams seem like they will be like this according to the schedule.

thanks for all the info! :) i was wondering if i could ask one more question...how do the ctob labs work? what can i expect from the experiments? what are the write ups like?

thanks again!

thanks for all the info! :) i was wondering if i could ask one more question...how do the ctob labs work? what can i expect from the experiments? what are the write ups like?

thanks again!

its not lab in the sense of undergrad lab. basically, lab is just time devoted to looking at slides. you work individually or with your friends in the computer lab looking thorugh all the tusk info, all the histology images. During lab time, Dr Gustafson is around for questions, and does a brief overview of what to look for and what not. I mean its totally doable from home, but Dr. Gustafson is awesome, so you should definitely take advantage of getting to learn from him. Also, definitely go to his reviews!

How is everyone enjoying this program so far? I was accepted very last minute to this program, but I already made commitments to the RFUMS BMS program. Just wanted to see how this program is going.

Best of luck to everyone! Study hard for them A's!

w

I am starting this thread for anyone who will be: attending, hoping to attend, or interested in discussing the Tufts MBS Program for the academic year 2009-2010. I hope to attend this program and meet others who share my enthusiasm. Feel free to message me, and I hope that this thread might facilitate productive discussion.

Last edited:
Hey,

I am trying to choose between Georgetown SMP and Tufts MBS. Tufts' program sounds good because you can get both MS and MPH in 2 years but I am not sure how good these special master's programs really are. I don't need to improve my GPA or MCAT score but my UD degree from a foreign country. So, the idea is to get US degree. Any advice?