Tufts MBS 2009-2010 (entering Fall 2009)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbru3423

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting this thread for anyone who will be: attending, hoping to attend, or interested in discussing the Tufts MBS Program for the academic year 2009-2010. I hope to attend this program and meet others who share my enthusiasm. Feel free to message me, and I hope that this thread might facilitate productive discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

i've already applied, but waiting on my mcat scores from jan 30th to submit. good luck to you and anyone else that's applying!

Yea...I have already submitted my application and it is marked complete (on ~1/30) on the Tufts website...I have read that it will take 6-8 weeks to get a decision...However, I would love to hear something sooner...If anybody knows about the time-table for the admissions decisions i am all ears...

Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed my application last week for this program so now it is just a waiting game for me as well. Good luck.

Probably will send out my application to them in about a week or so.

I sent my app in about a month ago so I am waiting to hear back as well...

I'm in! I actually sent everything in in late December, and when I checked my status online today, there was a letter saying that I was accepted. (pretty sure this got updated in the past two weeks or so when I hadn't been checking) There was also a link to accept the offer and pay the $200 fee.

Great to see a Tufts MBS post, b/c there doesn't seem to be too much info on the program at SDN, especially since it's a pretty new program. Does anybody have info on how the current MBS students are doing in there med school apps? And did ppl apply to BU's program as well? I haven't, though I'm thinking I might... but for some reason that I can't pinpoint I seem to have a preference for Tufts.

Good luck everybody! I must have been one of the first ppl that applied, so I'm sure the decisions will be rolling out for January applicants really soon.

Got my acceptance as well, applied in early December and was complete by mid-december. I did apply to the BU program but my top choice was either Georgetown SMP or Loyola MAMS, and they both have given me the nod already. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear from Tufts!

Congratulations to both of you who were accepted. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for a response. My application was complete a few weeks after both of yours in mid-January so I anticipate hearing something in the next two weeks or so. If you don't mind me asking, what were academic statistics (GPA (science/cum) and MCAT).

when is the deadline for application? its not til like mid june right?

Congratulations to both of you who were accepted. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for a response. My application was complete a few weeks after both of yours in mid-January so I anticipate hearing something in the next two weeks or so. If you don't mind me asking, what were academic statistics (GPA (science/cum) and MCAT).

3.43 cum, 3.22 BCPM
31S

Thats great, congratulations...

I hope my numbers can be competitive in the admissions process. I have good grades unfortunately I need to improve my MCAT scores and I'm hoping that the built in MCAT prep that Tufts offers can remedy that.

Cum. GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.56
MCAT 27O

Both my GPAs are about 3.3 and I have a 35Q for the MCAT.
The deadlines are much later I think, but I just wanted to have a sure fall back since I'm pretty sure my app cycle this year won't be too good.

I want to stay in Boston, so it's either BU or Tufts for me-

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who were accepted to the program, did it take 6-8 weeks to here, or did you hear before this predetermined interval.

Thanks...

For those of you who were accepted to the program, did it take 6-8 weeks to here, or did you hear before this predetermined interval.

Thanks...

I was complete on 12/16, but back in early january an applications officer said that they wouldn't start reviewing applications until the end of january. so i guess it depends on how you look at it. it was about 8 weeks from when i was complete, but only about 2 or 3 weeks from the end of january.

i think that the 6-8 weeks will be more applicable now that they are actively going through applications and will release decisions on a rolling basis.

I was complete on 1/9, accepted on 2/13. 3.15 (both), 33O.

I am going to submit my application by the end of new week. Hopefully with a 6-8 week turn around i'll know by May 1st.

It's gonna cost a ton of money, but no way around that unfortunately

So according to the the financial aid page, it says to complete the apps by 2/27. The applications are for loans right? though I'm 110% sure that masters programs don't give out free money, i just wanted to check. I'm already dreading going 30k+ into the red next year :eek:

Yeah..they dont give out free money, everyone is going to be in the red if that provides any solace for you (it does for me!)

More like $50k+. Tuition is about $31k, and you have to live in Boston.

You will end up taking out loans for about 50K. There is little to no money available for these kinds of masters programs. I don't know of anybody in my class who was given scholarships but it is possible. The best thing you can do to save money is find a roommate and bring lunch as much as possible. That is what I did and I was at least able to save a couple grand for it.

Hello ello

Nice to see such a thread. I'm also a december-completed applicant. Received the good news today via the online website!! Congrats to all others with offers...yay Boston

What is the username/pword for the online application status..is it the same as the embark username login/pword?

What is the username/pword for the online application status..is it the same as the embark username login/pword?

they should send you a user name and password via email a few weeks after you are complete.

i'm still checking to see if they have updated the "status" section...

good luck to all! :)

alright got it, i still need to send in my Letters of Rec so it could be a while. thanks.

anybody know the typical class size of the MBS program? In other words, how many students do they accept each year?

just checked the website and was pleasantly surprised! :)

now i have to choose between this program and georgetown... any thoughts?

anybody know the typical class size of the MBS program? In other words, how many students do they accept each year?

I saw a class size number of 75 on some other thread. I wouldn't be surprised if Tufts is growing their SMP like Gtown did, so I'd expect the '09 class to have 75 to 100.

I saw a class size number of 75 on some other thread. I wouldn't be surprised if Tufts is growing their SMP like Gtown did, so I'd expect the '09 class to have 75 to 100.

That is exactly right. I was part of the first years group. Our class was originally supposed to be 30 members, but it ended up being around 50. When we first arrived last year, we were told by Tufts they wanted to expand the class size to 75 people in the second year, and 100 people by the third year. This past class was around 75 and it looks like the class starting in the fall of 2009 should be around 100. The director of the program recently told me they were on target for this 100 person goal and applications were up by a lot.

how long do you have to accept the offer after getting an acceptance?

~ a month. My offer letter is dated Feb 11th and I need to respond by March 10th along with a $200 deposit if I choose to join.

It also mentions that if you choose to accept the offer and then change your mind you can let them know at earliest point possible so they can give your spot to someone else. Not sure if they'll give you the deposit back though...

For those of you who have just been accepted congratulations...

If you don't mind my asking, when were your applications complete? Did it take you 6-8 weeks to receive your decision?

not sure of the exact date that i was "complete." i sent in my LORs on 1/2/09 (yay vacation!). rec'd acceptance notice via website on 2/23/09.

best of luck to those waiting to hear back!

For those of you who have just been accepted congratulations...

If you don't mind my asking, when were your applications complete? Did it take you 6-8 weeks to receive your decision?

Hi Everyone- Does anyone know of any pre-dental students applying to the Tufts MBS program? Also, I can't seem to find the deadline on this webpage for the program, does anyone know when it is exactly?

I'm pre-dental and applying to tufts mbs.

Hey everybody -

Congrats on any acceptances. I was part of the inaugural class and can answer any questions if anybody wants a personalized account especially for those still trying to decide which program to choose.

Hey everybody -

Congrats on any acceptances. I was part of the inaugural class and can answer any questions if anybody wants a personalized account especially for those still trying to decide which program to choose.

Cali Anteater...I have a few quick questions regarding the MBS program, and how students have fared in the MD admissions cycle in years past. Specifically, my question has to do with the number of students who have applied and been successfully admitted to MD schools while they were students in the MBS program. I have read elsewhere that Tufts suggests that students should wait until the year after they complete the program to apply to medical schools. However, I was wondering what the success rate was for those who did choose to apply while currently enrolled in the program.

Secondly, I was wondering about the difficulty of the coursework. I understand that it is equivalent to the coursework undertaken by first year medical students across the US, which is to say that it is not easy. However, I have read in other posts that if a student in an SMP program (like the Tufts MBS) does not receive virtually all A's in their coursework that their chances of being accepted to a US MD school are virtually zero, and that they should then look to the Caribbean or to a DO school. Is this true? Is it possible within reason to get all A's in the classes?

I appreciate any advice you may be able to offer...Thanks

I suppose it's only natural that they're increasing the class size, but I am a bit disappointed to hear it's going up to 100 this year. One of the main reasons I was attracted to Tufts MBS was the small class size and the assumption that the program would be more personalized as opposed to BU. For those in the program, are the Tufts folks generally supportive of their students?

Also, how much of a commitment is the thesis? What are your thoughts on doing lab vs library?

Jbru3423- you read my mind. I'm also interested in what Cali Anteater has to say on this.

Cali Anteater...I have a few quick questions regarding the MBS program, and how students have fared in the MD admissions cycle in years past. Specifically, my question has to do with the number of students who have applied and been successfully admitted to MD schools while they were students in the MBS program. I have read elsewhere that Tufts suggests that students should wait until the year after they complete the program to apply to medical schools. However, I was wondering what the success rate was for those who did choose to apply while currently enrolled in the program.

Secondly, I was wondering about the difficulty of the coursework. I understand that it is equivalent to the coursework undertaken by first year medical students across the US, which is to say that it is not easy. However, I have read in other posts that if a student in an SMP program (like the Tufts MBS) does not receive virtually all A's in their coursework that their chances of being accepted to a US MD school are virtually zero, and that they should then look to the Caribbean or to a DO school. Is this true? Is it possible within reason to get all A's in the classes?

I appreciate any advice you may be able to offer...Thanks

The inaugural class at Tufts (AY 07-08) is still going through the application cycle as of now. There are several of us who have been accepted with a pretty significant bunch of us still interviewing and waiting to hopefully hear something good. For those that chose to apply during the application year, I would only suggest that you do so if you feel you can meet two conditions. 1) Have a solid MCAT - 32 and above 2) Have all As and A-s after the first semester. Otherwise, it might be best to wait until the next year. Now by no means is this a guaranteed linkage...Tufts will interview the top 20% but certainly no guarantee for the rest. Essentially you still need the complete package: have a stellar MBS GPA if your UG GPA is low and don't think a solid performance in the MBS program can make up for a questionable MCAT score. As we all know that magic range is still 30-32.

As for the difficulty of the coursework, yes it is very hard. It is med school work by all means. Unfortunately, while the med students have a large range for "pass," we have to fight tooth and nail to maximize the amount of As that we can get. Overall, about half the class get As the other half Bs with maybe a few Cs - in each course. DON'T GET C's!!! But test averages are usually in the 80%+ so people here are all very ready and very determined to work. Obviously, the better you do the better your chances in getting in somewhere. Expect to spend 10-12 hours almost every day studying and going to class. Going back to the US MD acceptance - as I said above, a solid performance in this program may still not get you into a US MD school as many of us are currently realizing though the season is not over yet. Ultimately, the formula seemingly of getting in via this program is to have been in the top 20% with a solid MCAT. If you do not have that, even a 3.5 or so may still not get you where you want to go.

Overall, this program does prepare you for med school and you certainly feel a high sense of accomplishment upon finishing. But unfortunately there are no shortcuts...you still have to play the tough game. And at the end of the day a solid performance in this program may still leave you staring in from the outside at a fresh college graduate with a 35 MCAT and a 3.8 UG GPA.

Hopefully this helps. Feel free to PM me also if you guys have specific questions.

I suppose it's only natural that they're increasing the class size, but I am a bit disappointed to hear it's going up to 100 this year. One of the main reasons I was attracted to Tufts MBS was the small class size and the assumption that the program would be more personalized as opposed to BU. For those in the program, are the Tufts folks generally supportive of their students?

Also, how much of a commitment is the thesis? What are your thoughts on doing lab vs library?

Thesis work is very varied depending on your topic, your adviser, and what else you happen to choose to do assuming you do the thesis the year after the program. Typically, a library thesis can be done self-sufficiently. I am doing one right now while doing the MPH and working. A lab thesis essentially takes close to FT commitment and you likely will not be paid. Ultimately, you choose what you have an interest in and hopefully that interest will drive you to write a good thesis.

Just got my acceptance today! Waiting to hear from a few other programs but definitely considering this as one of my top choices as I love Boston.

Thank you so much for the info about your experiences in the program Cali Anteater its extremely helpful for us considering entry.

Cali Anteater: were there any pre-dental students in your inaugural class? If there were, were they successful in gaining admission to dental school? Thanks!

Thanks for your insight calianteater!

I'm fully prepared to work my ass off to make up for my subpar GPA- I just hope that the grades aren't based on a curve within the students in the program, meaning that the MBS students would be fighting over the set number of As alotted. Is this the case?

Cali Anteater: were there any pre-dental students in your inaugural class? If there were, were they successful in gaining admission to dental school? Thanks!

There were no pre-dental students in the inaugural class so unfortunately there is no data on this. There were people ready to talk and help out pre-dents in the administration though.

Thanks for your insight calianteater!

I'm fully prepared to work my ass off to make up for my subpar GPA- I just hope that the grades aren't based on a curve within the students in the program, meaning that the MBS students would be fighting over the set number of As alotted. Is this the case?

It depends on the class. Some classes were set with a normal curve distribution and grades were given accordingly. In this case the largest number of grades were B+'s. There were usually a few C's in the class, but they had test scores well below the class average. Other classes gave grades that were more closely associated with the average the person was keeping in the class (ie over a 93% equals an A). Each teacher was given some discrepancy on how they chose to grade, which was a little frustrating at times. I think are trying to fix this though.

No matter how hard you work, the main purpose of this type of SMP is to help people with a low undergrad GPA and a stronger MCAT. Even if you do really well in the program, you are going to find yourself in an uphill battle if you don't score 29+ in the MCAT. I know a lot of people who re-took the MCAT after the program with 28's and 29's whose score jumped up multiple points, so if you are in that borderline MCAT score range keep that in mind.

Just submitted - I think I saw people on here talking of a turnaround time of 6-8 weeks? Accurate?
Thanks

Submitted mine the second to last week in January and got the acceptance notice first week in March so it was about 6 weeks like they said.

Just keep checking every now and then when they give you the username and password and the site to check because eventually you'll see a decision was posted.

I am currently in the MBS program - at least 3 of us have been accepted to med school and a bunch are currently interviewing. What was said above is very true - only apply now if you think you can do really well the first semester. And even then, consider carefully where you apply. I ended up wasting a lot of money because I wasn't smart about it. PM me if you have any questions.