Tufts MBS 2009-2010 (entering Fall 2009)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats! are you applying anywhere else, or are you going to take this?

i've seriously just been waiting to find out who else i'll be seeing in boston next year :)

I applied to Temple, Georgetown, and Drexel. Still waiting to hear from those programs. The great part about Temple and Tufts is that they funnel students into the med program in some way, shape, or form, which is more than I can say for a lot of post-bac programs.

Congrats! When did you submit your app?

I think I submitted about three weeks ago. I overnighted everything because I knew I came in kind of late to the season.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats. From your username is it safe to assume you went to USF for undergrad? or did you do a graduate program there at the medical school? I wonder if I've met you before.

I went to USF undergrad for a biochemistry major. Graduated in '08. I am currently pursuing a masters in medical science in anatomy offered through the College of Medicine at USF.

hey guys!

i was reading the website and it says that GREs can sub for MCATs. Have people gotten in with a GRE score?

Yes- I got in with GREs and planning on taking the MCAT in July. I was over the 75 percentile range.

Hey guys,

For anyone out there on a waiting list, like styller, I accepted an offer a couple weeks ago but am now sending in my letter of intent to enroll in another university. So waitlisted folk, be on the lookout for an offer!!!

Good luck to all.

Hey everyone,
I will be withdrawing my acceptance to the MBS program after I received word that I was accepted to UMDNJ-Newark today. Hope someone gets my spot and to those still waiting good luck!

I got waitlisted at Tufts. Decision was made available today or yesterday.

I got into UMDNJ-Newark like Albuterol, so I don't know if i'll sit on the wait-list.

Good luck to those waiting

I got waitlisted at Tufts. Decision was made available today or yesterday.

I got into UMDNJ-Newark like Albuterol, so I don't know if i'll sit on the wait-list.

Good luck to those waiting

Me too! my decision was made on Thursday in the morning sometime. Can someone shed some light on how this Waitlist process works? I really think its due to the volume of applications this time around.

What I think is they are waiting to see what kind of applicants they are going to get from now until the deadline, compare us waitlisted to those, then accept accordingly. It is stated there is no "queue" for the waitlist and that is the only logically way to select applicants. This waitlist letter basically means you are left hanging and can get accepted up until the first day of classes....

Someone shed some light!

accepted! i found out today.

noq, im trying to figure out how valuable the tufts experience is. thoughts? im trying to decide between two years of lab tech work at MIT under a very well known professor (i hear that it's a great step towards med school) or the tufts program.

my grades aren't too great which is why i wanted to enroll at tufts....get my gpa up and show med schools that i have the potential.

any input about this will be great!

Anyone in the program know anything about the MPH program? Do students like it?
Thanks to anyone that may share info! :)

Mine was less than a month. I was complete on 3/18, and I found out last week. So more like 3 weeks

Hey what's up everyone??

I have a question for all of you who got your decisions already sent to you.

How long did it take for you to hear back or get a status change on your online acct from date of completion?

I got complete around 4/9. It says 6-8 weeks to find out. does it really take that long??

Hey there Guju Doc,

I was complete on March 18, 2009. I got my notification of WAITLIST on April 9, 2009. I know I got waitlisted but not due to lack of space, but because they are waiting to see the type of competition/ how many people decline their offers of acceptance by the deadline BEFORE offering me a spot/rejection. I have 92 percentile DAT scores, but my GPA is around a 3.2. That and i am an international applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there Guju Doc,

I was complete on March 18, 2009. I got my notification of WAITLIST on April 9, 2009. I know I got waitlisted but not due to lack of space, but because they are waiting to see the type of competition/ how many people decline their offers of acceptance by the deadline BEFORE offering me a spot/rejection. I have 92 percentile DAT scores, but my GPA is around a 3.2. That and i am an international applicant.

How do you know that? Did they tell you that in your letter? Mine certainly had no language in it that said they were waiting to see other applications

How do you know that? Did they tell you that in your letter? Mine certainly had no language in it that said they were waiting to see other applications

Oh sorry guys. I called to ask if there was still space available and there is in fact many spaces available. They also sent out rejections already as well. I was also notified that my application will continue to be reviewed with the others waitlisted for spaces. Am I making a false assumption?

I see people getting accepted with similar GPA as mine and LOWER Mcat scores so its puzzling me.

Like Robflanker, I'd like to know how you know their reasons for waitlisting you too.

This is my letter copied and pasted from the website;

Dear Robert,

The MBS Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine has completed its review of your application. This year, many more students applied to the MBS program than can be admitted or accommodated. In order to maintain small class size and a personalized educational environment, we are limited in the number of acceptances we can offer. Therefore, we are offering you a place on the waitlist.

We recognize that this news is disappointing, but we appreciate your interest in the MBS program and your patience throughout this process. Please keep in mind that we will review our waitlist regularly, so we encourage you to forward any additional documents you would like added to your admissions application. This may include updated test scores, summer grades, additional recommendations, supplemental essays, and updated news of your plans.

There is no rank order on the waitlist, and we are unable to predict at this time how many students will gain admission from the waitlist. If you would like to remain on the MBS waitlist, please return the form attached to your letter as soon as possible. If we do offer you admission, we will call or email you as soon as possible to let you know.

Sincerely...

Oh sorry guys. I called to ask if there was still space available and there is in fact many spaces available. They also sent out rejections already as well. I was also notified that my application will continue to be reviewed with the others waitlisted for spaces. Am I making a false assumption?

I see people getting accepted with similar GPA as mine and LOWER Mcat scores so its puzzling me.

I believe you are a making a false assumption. See my post above but I didn't draw the same conclusion you did from that letter, if you had something different, then thats a diff story

They may have better resumes than you, or may have had better essays/LOR. Not saying they do, just throwing some things out there.

I believe you are a making a false assumption. See my post above but I didn't draw the same conclusion you did from that letter, if you had something different, then thats a diff story

They may have better resumes than you, or may have had better essays/LOR. Not saying they do, just throwing some things out there.

Oh okay then thats cool. I am going to wait til June 1 to see what goes on with Tufts. Tufts is definitely my first choice, however I will suffice with UMDNJ and have til June 1.

Well the beginning of the waitlist letter makes us believe that more people apply then usual and hence there is no more space so we're on the waitlist. But that is contrary to my phonecall, where they say there is many spaces available. So there are some inconsistencies.

Hey what's up everyone??

I have a question for all of you who got your decisions already sent to you.

How long did it take for you to hear back or get a status change on your online acct from date of completion?

I got complete around 4/9. It says 6-8 weeks to find out. does it really take that long??

Hey gujuDoc,
applied around Mid february, complete 3/11, accepted 3/23 (official letter date). I declined my spot but hope you hear some good news. Good luck!

I know that two of the courses in Tufts MBS are video streamlined. I think one is immunology and I was wondering what the other one is? Also I personally have never taken a course in this format and was curious as to how people adjusted?

Hey GUys,

I got my acceptance today, and will most likely be attening.

:)

Now, I just gotta get a good mcat score:D

MkG87 - I was wondering if you also applied to other programs such as BU , and how you came to the decison of most likely going to Tufts?

I got into both BU and Tufts and came to the decision to come to Tufts because A) the program is only 1 year instead of 2 B) It is a little bit cheaper C) Smaller class size D) Tufts offers the clinical course which prepares you for history taking etc. That was just my personal reasons.

The BU program has a great reputation and BU seems like a great school but in the end I liked what Tufts offered.

MkG87 - I was wondering if you also applied to other programs such as BU , and how you came to the decison of most likely going to Tufts?

I choose Tufts because it is only a one year program (opposed to the BU program, which i think somewhere it said it could take up to 2 years), offered some clinical experience, and ALSO the option to pursue a MPH during the second year if I choose to apply next year. I think both schools have a great reputation, best of luck on your decision.

ANYONE NEED A ROOMATE??????:):):) PM ME

Anyone in the program know anything about the MPH program? Do students like it?
Thanks to anyone that may share info! :)

Bump :D

(The reason I ask is because I know some students do the MPH after MBS... )

Thanks! :)

As of last week Thursday, there is 50 spots still available. I called to inquire if you guys are wondering.

was accepted last friday. leaning towards cincy but am going to sit on things a little while before I make a final decision. won't leave the waitlisters hanging too long though, I promise. really like the MPH option at tufts, don't really like the idea of paying so much to live somewhere with weather like that....

Don't let the weather fool you it adds character and charm to the city, plus you do get used to snow. Boston is a great city to live in hence why so many college kids come live here. I am from New York and came up here for undergraduate school and intend on staying. What I am saying is try not to let the weather affect your decision, choose it based on the two programs and which you feel suits you more.

eh, I grew up in the northern midwest. I've lived through plenty of winters worse than boston has. I don't miss it at all. between cost of living and tuition it'd probably cost considerably more to go to tufts over cincy, and there's a ton of things I love about the cincy program. sure I'd be happy at tufts too though...

Just turned in my app two weeks ago. I have pretty depressing stats though Cum GPA 2.98, Sci GPA 2.7, and MCATS: 10V, 8P, 5B. Plus I'm an international student. But I agree Boston is a very cool city especially for someone coming from the NY-NJ area the transition shouldnt be as stressful. The drivers in boston are crazy though so suburbanites beware

Does anyone know what the weekly class schedule is like for the Tufts MBS, mostly morning classes or throughout the day?

hey guys, i totally forgot about this forum!

I was also in the inaugural class. I am applying to med school for the first time right now after finishing the program. Judging from my GPA, I am guessing that the top 20% of the class had GPAs > 3.8. Mine was under, so I didn't get the auto invite but I did get an invite eventually. I applied to 20+ schools and I have received 9 interviews (which would have been impossible for me w/out the program) I just want to let you guys know that even if you aren't in the top 20%, it doesn't mean you won't get other interviews.

Also, I don't think 90% of our class has been accepted yet, but i would guess 90% have received an interview somewhere.

I chose the Tufts MBS program over the Cincinnati, Toledo, BU, and Tulane program so I was in teh same boat as you guys two years ago. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Hey YoGreen,

Thanks for your post. Couple questions that were asked on the forum but didn't get answered: 1) Are the classes mainly during the day or afternoon/evening? I know there are programs where the classes are actually offered later in the day, because the professors that teaches the med students in the morning, the SMP kids after that. 2) I read something about video streaming lectures. How did that work out? What happens if you need to ask questions?

Thanks

PS i will be attending Tufts SMP this fall =)

I got my acceptance yesterday (5/1) and I was completed only a couple of weeks ago so it seems that they are very efficient. That and I hope that they liked me.

I'm still waiting to hear from Georgetown SMP. I still haven't thoroughly compared the programs, so if I get into both I don't know which one I will attend. My impression though is that if I plan on getting into medical school Fall 2010, then Gtown would be a better program.

Maybe I will be seeing you guys in the Fall. Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those on the wait list.

I got my acceptance yesterday (5/1) and I was completed only a couple of weeks ago so it seems that they are very efficient. That and I hope that they liked me.

I'm still waiting to hear from Georgetown SMP. I still haven't thoroughly compared the programs, so if I get into both I don't know which one I will attend. My impression though is that if I plan on getting into medical school Fall 2010, then Gtown would be a better program.

Maybe I will be seeing you guys in the Fall. Congrats to those who got in and good luck to those on the wait list.
If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? I'm trying to get a feel for my chances. My application was complete 2/23, save for official test scores. I took the GRE without preparation, rather than the MCAT on 4/23 so the official scores should be coming a in week or so. I applied to Tufts, BU, and Georgetown. My overall GPA is 3.47 and my science is 3.0. My GRE scores were relatively unimpressive, with a 580V and 710Q. Any info would be appreciated!

My stats were 3.2 cGPA/3.1 sGPA and 33Q mcat. I also have a bunch of activities that make me a good applicant. I will be applying to med school this summer despite my low GPA.

mine is set on june 18 but i dont feel ready yet. if i get into the MBS, i'll just transfer my study date in Boston. ^^

I strongly recommend that you NOT take the MCAT until you're ready to get the best possible score. Retakes are a hugely inefficient use of time. If you get into Tufts without an MCAT score, then take advantage of their MCAT prep while you're there.

Best of luck to you.

Does anyone plan on going to the open house in at the end of the month?

Does anyone plan on going to the open house in at the end of the month?

hey everyone, I just saw online that I got accepted to the program (I was complete a little over 2 weeks ago). It is still a little hard to believe, as I've been applying to med-school related programs for 10+ months now with nothing but rejections! Anyway, I'm living in NYC right now and know a couple ppl in Boston, so I will probably head up for the open house if there is one this month. Do you know exactly when it is? I haven't checked.

Uggh!!! Close to 4 weeks gone by and still no word yet. I hope within the next couple of weeks I hear something.

wow, sorry to hear that. I have been so nervous to hear ANYTHING from SMPs/Carib. schools just these past 2.5 weeks that I have been complete, so you must be going crazy. Have you gotten any acceptances from any other programs?

Uggh!!! Congratulatiions but how come you've already heard after being complete 2 weeks after me and its been 4 weeks and I've heard nothing. How does all this work? Is it like MD admissions where they hold out on people they are not sure of til later to decide?

Are you looking online? I just looked today and found out that i was....waitlisted!! yayyy another waitlist...so happy :thumbdown:. I was officially complete 4/22. Good luck either way.

Yea so......apartment rent is pretty steep...

Yea so......apartment rent is pretty steep...

I know what you mean, don't even look in the districts that Tufts is in. Your best bet is getting a place far out like allston or brighton and just taking the T. They are college towns so apt pricing is geared towards poor college kids. Me and a few buddies just got a place in brighton for a reasonable price but if you want earlier than september you have to start looking now because the cheap ones get rented up quick.

Uggh!!! Close to 4 weeks gone by and still no word yet. I hope within the next couple of weeks I hear something.

me too i'm about to graduate and i need to know where i'm gonna end up

hey everyone, I just saw online that I got accepted to the program (I was complete a little over 2 weeks ago). It is still a little hard to believe, as I've been applying to med-school related programs for 10+ months now with nothing but rejections! Anyway, I'm living in NYC right now and know a couple ppl in Boston, so I will probably head up for the open house if there is one this month. Do you know exactly when it is? I haven't checked.

congrats (green with envy) its on may 28, 2009 at 4pm

congrats (green with envy) its on may 28, 2009 at 4pm

congrats (tres envious) it's on may 28,2009 around 4

Hi all,

I'll be attending Tufts in the Fall and am totally unfamiliar with Boston. Just wondering where everyone was living. Any recommendations?

I'm currently in DC, but decided to fly up to attend the Open House on May 28th...perhaps I'll see some of you there! :)