TUCOM Question: Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luwi25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! :p

I really wanted to apply to TUCOM early decision but do you know if there is a cut-off GPA and MCAT for applying early decision? If so, could someone tell me what that CUT-OFF is? Just want to make sure that I make the cut.
Also, of all the TUCOM and COMP acceptees and current students, could I get a range of your average GPAs (science and regular) and average MCAT. I just wanted to know where I would fall in the application pool since I will be submitting my application in a couple of months here.

Thanks a bunch!
:D

Members don't see this ad.

I applied and was accepted into TUCOM early decision this application cycle. First and foremost, ONLY apply to TUCOM on your application or you may not be considered for an early decision interview. If you submit your primary application to more than one school this does not look like you are really interested in only going to this school and you may not be selected out for the EDP. Second, each interview cycle, the adcom sets a minimum standards. This last year the minimum was a 3.0 cumm gpa and 3.0 overall science gpa with a minimum of 23 on MCAT. I don't know what minimum was required for the essay portion of the MCAT though.

MAKE SURE YOU SUBMIT YOUR AACOMAS APPLICATION ON JUNE 1st!!! The time line for EDP is really rushed and you must get in everything ASAP. Start requesting your transcripts be sent to AACOM in May and submit that application online on the very first day. The application is usually available online sometime the first week of May but processing doesn't start until June 1st. Get it completely filled out and submit it immediately so that you can be one of the first applications processed. Make sure your letter writers know that you are trying for the EDP so they will have letters ready to go as soon as you get your request for secondary. AACOM usually takes 3-4 weeks to send out your primary to TUCOM so the sooner they have all of your transcripts the sooner they can certify the application and get it to TUCOM. I sent everything to TUCOM fedex to make sure it got there in time.

Please be aware that not everyone will be selected for the EDP, even if they have everything in early so it is still a gamble. You will know early enough though to submit additional application to other schools by August if you don't get selected for EDP at TUCOM.

Hope that helps, and my gpa was 3.13/3.13 and I got a 25-S on the MCAT ( also, I never took the MCAT more than once and that is a factor as well).

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm just worried that with applying EDP, what if I don't get into TUCOM and then I might be at a disadvantage in admission into other schools. If I get all my things in early, then I'll have a higher chance at many schools right? How soon do you think I can get an interview at TUCOM if I don't apply under the EDP?

Do you think I'll have a higher chance of getting into TUCOM under the EDP?
:confused:

Thanks again for the advice though.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice would be to talk to Dr. Haight, [email protected] at TUCOM. He will give you an honest answer. I wasn't even aware that TOURO accepted early admissions. They do take some people on early acceptance from the previous years wait list but that is a different scenario. My gut feeling is that if you have the stats to get accepted in an early acceptance program then you will be fine in the regular process. If you get you app in June 1 then you will get the first set of interviews offered anyway and you can still apply to other schools. I applied this year in Jan and I only applied to TUCOM. I just had my interview and I am hopeful that I get in. I urge you to talk to Dr. Haight directly to get a difinitive answer. These message boards don't always give appropriate advice. Good luck, Sean.

Thanks for the comments Sean! Fortunately, I did e-mail Dr. Haight and gave him my stats. He told me that I did qualify for EDP. BUT, I kinda don't want to jeopardize my chances of getting into other schools (in case TUCOM doesn't like me) so this is why I'm hesitant on EDP.

I just wanted to know where I kinda stand in stats among other TUCOM students, TUCOM acceptees or TUCOM students attending in Fall 2003. So if you guys can tell me your general stats and what TUCOM likes about their student body, maybe I can highlight these points on the application and increase my chances.

Same goes for COMP...I'd really LOVE to remain in California.

Thanks guys...you're awesome! I love SDN :clap:

The EDP interview for TUCOM is in August. The regular interview does not start until October. The statistics for EDP are this, they have the most available spots open in August and if you are borderline, then they are more incline to approve your application if they have many spots open as opposed to only 60, 50, 40% and so on. From the EDP, it is my understanding that 6/8 of us were accepted (within 3 days) and not everyone has stellar stats either. I know of some that just met the minimum and still got in.

The one good thing about EDP is that you will know if you are accepted almost immediately, it would be the third week or so in August. This means if you don't get in, then the only thing you have to do is send another check to AACOM and tell them the additional schools that you want to apply to. Since your application was already complete and certified, there is relatively little delay in sending out additional applications. August is still considered early in the application cycle considering many people don't submit their apps until after that (like those waiting for MCAT scores). I think that if you asked in another thread how many students have received acceptances that applied after the last week in August, you would see really good numbers (with the exception of AZCOM because they stop interviewing in November I think).

I know of another student that only applied to TUCOM and COMP this year. Had they only applied to TUCOM, they would have probably been invited to the EDP interview, but because they did apply to 2 schools, this person won't have his interview at TUCOM until next week.;)

If you know for sure that TUCOM is your #1 choice, then absolutely apply thru the EDP! It was well worth the time and savings in money for me. I recommend it to everyone!

Originally posted by maysqrd
I know of another student that only applied to TUCOM and COMP this year. Had they only applied to TUCOM, they would have probably been invited to the EDP interview, but because they did apply to 2 schools, this person won't have his interview at TUCOM until next week.;)

Man, my ears were burning and itching all night, and now i know why... It is nice to know that there are people that have so much faith in mye... Just another reason to work my heart out!

Luwi25,
Yes, california is a wonderful place to go to school, and both western and touro are awesome institutions to gain an osteopathic education from... I will be one happy camper if/when I get to call myself a california medical student... I wish I knew about Touro's EDP... I would have applied in a heartbeat, and I suggest that you do the same, if and only if you know that Touro is the school is for you. I applied to three schools; Touro, my number one choice, Western, because it is the other osteopathic medical school in our great state and i have friends that went there and recommend it, and UC Davis, because it is my alma mater (although if UC Davis were to offer me a spot right now, i would most probably decline because i am so upset with the UC Davis Medical System, which has chosen to cut in half the Northern California's premier air ambulance program, blaming fiscal difficulties, when in actuality no such difficulties exist..) In retrospect, I would have only applied to Touro... Yes, it is a gamble, but you are really setting yourself apart from other applicants since from the start you are demonstrating a significant level of devotion to the school you are early applying to. I honestly believe that Touro's (and other schools) admissions committee's goal is to identify students that will flourish in the environment that will be provided to them by their school, and the student that will do such is the student that really, really, really wants to be there.

Yes, EDP is a huge gamble, but like with all huge gambles, there is a huge potential payoff... In my opinion though, this gamble is significantly less dangerous in that should you not get into the school that you early apply at, you still have a good chance to get your applications at other schools. sean is a perfect example in that although one's application is not sent in on the first day of the application cycle, it is still very possible to score interviews.

The field of medicine commands a significant amount of dedication, and occasionally a leap of faith, and EDPs are a perfect example/exercise for all of us future health care professionals.

maysqrd (pronounced "May May"),
I am working on locating a centrally located restaurant for dinner... I am thinking Vacaville or Fairfield....

that's it for now... I am going to go bump all the TUCOM posts one last time before my interview on tuesday!!!!!!!!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Thanks Brian! :) Good Luck on your interview at TUCOM!!!! I'm sure you'll do great and will be joining your dear friend in the entering Fall 2003 class at TUCOM. Let us know how it goes...those admissions people at TUCOM seem really nice.

Hope you make it to be that "cool" cali med student. :cool: