TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
During the interview day Dr.Haight mentioned that there a few things one needs to do before classes begin.The ones I remember are:

1. FAFSA
2. Get a physical
3. Immunizations

Are there other things I'm not listing? I'm currently on the waitlist but would like to be prepared for school if I get called off the waitlist.
You can add:

4. Transcripts from every school on your application
5. Health insurance waiver form (if you're into that kind of thing)

Speaking of, has anyone heard anything or talked to any current students to see if the school's health insurance is decent coverage? I might try to keep Kaiser...

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything from the wait list? Does anyone know when will they start pulling people off from it? The wait is killing me...

Has anyone heard anything from the wait list? Does anyone know when will they start pulling people off from it? The wait is killing me...

I'm with you mchhuang. I'm currently on the medium waitlist, and would really love to know if this year is my year.

Can I ask which waitlist you are on? And also do you happen to know when the waitlist becomes ranked?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with you mchhuang. I'm currently on the medium waitlist, and would really love to know if this year is my year.

Can I ask which waitlist you are on? And also do you happen to know when the waitlist becomes ranked?
I am on the high waitlist, and I just received an email from Lynn Huckle saying that they will probably not move anyone from the waitlist until July.....
I got ranked when I received my interview reply pretty early....
Where are you from?

I am on the high waitlist, and I just received an email from Lynn Huckle saying that they will probably not move anyone from the waitlist until July.....
I got ranked when I received my interview reply pretty early....
Where are you from?

I'm from California. That's interesting that you received a ranking with the interview reply, that must be a difference between high vs. medium waitlist. When I received the school's reply after the interview it was to inform me that I was on the medium waitlist without a ranking. Also I didn't receive an e-mail from Lynn Huckle about probable waitlist movement in July (maybe another difference between high vs medium waitlist?). Anyways good luck. When you do receive your acceptance mchhuang (which I bet you will), would you mind private messaging me? It would be nice to know if the highwait list is moving, thanks.

I'm from California. That's interesting that you received a ranking with the interview reply, that must be a difference between high vs. medium waitlist. When I received the school's reply after the interview it was to inform me that I was on the medium waitlist without a ranking. Also I didn't receive an e-mail from Lynn Huckle about probable waitlist movement in July (maybe another difference between high vs medium waitlist?). Anyways good luck. When you do receive your acceptance mchhuang (which I bet you will), would you mind private messaging me? It would be nice to know if the highwait list is moving, thanks.
Oops, I misread your message. I just know that I'm on the high waitlist that's all.....

I am on the Medium waitlist, too. I emailed Dr. Haight a couple weeks ago and he said that they would probably start ranking the high waitlist this upcoming week. He also said that he should have a good idea of the chances of medium waitlisters by the end of the month.

Hope this helps.

thanks fellow waitlisters. i was looking for when the pulling off the list would begin. good luck to us all!!

I got a letter from them saying that they have been pulling from the high waitlist for a couple of weeks. The letter also encouraged everyone to send letters of intent/interest.

I'm on the high waitlist.... and i haven't heard anything....

Has anyone got accepted yet?

I've been hearing nothing but the crickets. Has anyone heard any updates

from Dr. Haight? i.e. have they started pulling from the high waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely forgot I was even on the waitlist until I got a letter a week ago. I feel like I should tell them I already started school somewhere!

I've been hearing nothing but the crickets. Has anyone heard any updates

from Dr. Haight? i.e. have they started pulling from the high waitlist?

I'm also on the high wait list and haven't heard anything. I'll make sure to post something if I do because I know how agonizing the wait can be.

Does anyone know how often the committee meets?

I interviewed 2 weeks ago, and just got in today. Sooooo, its still possible.

Hey Senseigmg, Congratulations! Which one were you? I think I interviewed with you at the same time on May 12 although I'm not sure if you were in my interview panel though. Well, good luck. Hope you will enjoy TUCOM!

I received an update letter from Dr. Haight, which other waitlisters probably received as well. Talked about still pulling from high waitlist, and how unpredicative waitlists can be. Hopefully the next few weeks fly by, the anticipation about being either an MS-1 or MS-0 is killin' me.

yes, I second that. I received such letter as well, which doesn't do much help.....

just an update for you waitlisters, hope it helps....... it's an email response from Mr. Haight

"We just made three offers earlier this week, but I feel obliged to tell you that movement this year is less than I have ever seen before. There's still three weeks to go before orientation, so anything can happen. Also, the Early Acceptance process to determine who among those who were wait-listed but never offered a seat should be offered EA to the Class of 2014 will occur sometime during the first two weeks of August. One way or the other, it's almost over. I know this is torture for candidates on the wait-list. I only wish I didn't need one, but we all do. DH"

Thanks for the update mchhuang! I'm on the medium waitlist and did not receive that e-mail, so thanks for the news even if it is sort of bad news.

Does anyone happen to know what percentage of the waitlisters (who don't make it in this year) receive an early acceptance for the class of 2014?

I'm in the process of starting my secondaries all over again and don't really feel like filling out 22 of them again. If it's something like 90% of the waitlist receives an early acceptance than I probably will wait to hear back from Touro before spending another grand on secondaries.

There's still hope. I just got in yesterday so anyone on the wait-list don't give up.

I just looked at the book list and my mind almost got blown away at how much it's going to costs. Does anyone know if we need all the books? Will there be lecture notes provided for those who missed class or who doesn't have all their books? I heard from other med students from other schools that they don't buy all the books as there will be notes provided. Is this true for TUCOM-CA? If we need books, which was are the most essential?

sorry. see below

Last edited:
How did you hear from them? via mail or email or phone?

I supposedly got both email and phone call but I never got the call. Fortunately I gave out alternate phone numbers and one of them got the call and called me back. However, I also got an email too at the same time. The strange thing was that they emailed more than one person and the email stipulated that whoever calls them back first will get the seat and they have 24 hours maximum. After that you get the acceptance packet via fed-ex the next day and you have another 24 hours to respond and pay the $1000 deposit. After that life is crazy and your ulcer reappear. Good luck!

I supposedly got both email and phone call but I never got the call. Fortunately I gave out alternate phone numbers and one of them got the call and called me back. However, I also got an email too at the same time. The strange thing was that they emailed more than one person and the email stipulated that whoever calls them back first will get the seat and they have 24 hours maximum. After that you get the acceptance packet via fed-ex the next day and you have another 24 hours to respond and pay the $1000 deposit. After that life is crazy and your ulcer reappear. Good luck!

May I ask, what you submitted to TUCOM once you were waitlisted to improve your chances?

I just looked at the book list and my mind almost got blown away at how much it's going to costs. Does anyone know if we need all the books? Will there be lecture notes provided for those who missed class or who doesn't have all their books? I heard from other med students from other schools that they don't buy all the books as there will be notes provided. Is this true for TUCOM-CA? If we need books, which was are the most essential?

Hey, if you have FB, join the TUCOM-CA 2013 group. Also, I can send you the feedback of the required booklist from a third year. Email me at [email protected] with Touro Booklist feedback or something like that in the subject. Congrats!

Apparently, the office reported that the class is completely filled. So much for 2009.

Today is the last day of the waitlist. If there is any last minute

acceptances, would you mind posting? Good luck for next year!

Also, if there are any who are offered Early Decision for next year, can you post those as well? Thanks.

From what I understand the committee is meeting this week to determine who from the waitlist (that never received an offer for this year) will be offered an Early Acceptance for the next year.

I would like to make a request if at all possible, for those who are attending medical school somewhere else or are not interested in joining the class of 2014 at Touro-CA, can you please e-mail admissions to remove yourself from the waitlist/review for Early Acceptance? It would be greatly greatly appreciated.

The smaller the list is for Early Acceptance, the greater the chances are for those on the list who want to attend will be (since the committee only has a certain amount of seats that can be offered). Thank you very much.

Has anyone received or heard anything new about Early Acceptance? I thought the committee was going to finish their review last week, but maybe they have not finished. If anyone has heard the latest would you mind posting?

Hi Turkelton,
Regretfully they were not able to offer me a seat for the class of 2014 even though I was on the high wait list. I'm not sure as to the details but hopefully I'll find out soon. Please post if you find out anything. Good luck to you.
Has anyone received or heard anything new about Early Acceptance? I thought the committee was going to finish their review last week, but maybe they have not finished. If anyone has heard the latest would you mind posting?

Hi Turkelton,
Regretfully they were not able to offer me a seat for the class of 2014 even though I was on the high wait list. I'm not sure as to the details but hopefully I'll find out soon. Please post if you find out anything. Good luck to you.

I'm with you as well buddy. I was not offered a seat for the class of 2014. I was on the medium waitlist. I was really hoping for this one, but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'll add it to my handsome pile of 25 rejection letters, 0 acceptance letters for the 2008-2009 application cycle.

I've gone ahead and completed another 19 secondaries and spent another two thou in app fees to take another shot at the dream. Hopefully being complete in August and not December will make a difference this year.

Did anyone else make the cut? Mchhuang?

Status
Not open for further replies.