TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bleech. Got placed on a med. alt waitlist. I added some stuff to my file, like a letter of intent, new volunteer endeavors, and another DO recommendation.

Is is true they don't even take a look at your file again until they are ready to rank them near the end of May? Last year they didn't even get to the med. list and if that's a sign of the times rather than the unique situation just last year, am I doing this in vain? Anybody have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

bleech. Got placed on a med. alt waitlist. I added some stuff to my file, like a letter of intent, new volunteer endeavors, and another DO recommendation.

Is is true they don't even take a look at your file again until they are ready to rank them near the end of May? Last year they didn't even get to the med. list and if that's a sign of the times rather than the unique situation just last year, am I doing this in vain? Anybody have any insight?

I was wait listed last year and i got in for this year. I think if you are on the medium wait list there is not much you can do before May 15th. A letter of intent would be helpful of course or possibly you can email Dr. Haight to make sure he knows you are very interested in the school (he is really approachable and helpful). It all depends on the reason why you got waitlisted. If it was because of a low GPA no extra letters or shadowing can help you. If it was for a low score on the MCAT, you might still have time to retake it. In other words to really stand out from the medium list, you need to figure out what it is that put you on that list in the first place and try to work on improving that.
Hope this helps :) good luck!

Hi All,
I have an interview on the 27th, and I was wondering if I could get any words of advice? I lucked out and got an earlier interview date than March, but I know I'm still looking at a small chance of being accepted. I actually have another interview the day before, so I'll be a little tired :)
Anyways, I've studied the site, SDN, and relooked at my apps. Getting antsy just waiting, haha. Thanks for any words.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my email from Dr. Haight....accepted for 2013! HELL YA!!!!!

:highfive::claps::banana::biglove::nod::woot:

I just got the email too! Wow...I'm so excited! Congrats to the other members of CO 2013

I just got the email too! Wow...I'm so excited! Congrats to the other members of CO 2013

Congrats on your acceptance. How long did it take for them to get back to you? When did you interview? Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptance. How long did it take for them to get back to you? When did you interview? Thanks!

I interviewed last Tuesday, Jan 20th and I got the email the following Friday afternoon. The adcom meets twice a month. In this case it was the following Thursday, two days after my interview.

Hey TUCOM applicants

I'm a first-year DO living in a house on Mare Island with other TU students (another 1st year DO and a 2nd year DO). We would like to offer TU applicants the chance to stay at our house for their interviews. Not only would you be getting a free night's stay on Mare Island in a fully furnished room, but you would also be getting a good understanding of what life is like for TU students.

Message me if you are interested! Good luck 2013 applicants :luck:

do you guys know if some applicants actually call and cancel their interview spots if they do not plan on showing up? I am trying to get an earlier interview date so I don't end up paying 2 deposits if I do get into TUCOM. TUCOM is my first choice but I don't know if i'm in or not yet....

When you email admissions, do you email Dr. Haight or Ms. Huckle?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :oops:

do you guys know if some applicants actually call and cancel their interview spots if they do not plan on showing up? I am trying to get an earlier interview date so I don't end up paying 2 deposits if I do get into TUCOM. TUCOM is my first choice but I don't know if i'm in or not yet....

When you email admissions, do you email Dr. Haight or Ms. Huckle?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :oops:

Applicants should call in to cancel their interview spots if they don't plan to attend. To move your interview to an earlier date, it's best to call the number on your interview invite letter and ask them if there is a waiting list or standard procedure to do this.

i'm still really hoping for an interview from here :(
i've been complete here since december, but still no news of interview/rejection. do you think it's possible that they're still sending out invites?? :\

Does anybody know when school starts? Is it around August 3rd?

I hope so. I planned my vacation 'til end of July.

Members don't see this ad :)
To people worried about getting earlier days, when I interviewed on the 27th 2 or 3 people were no shows, so there are plenty of people not coming to the interviews, I don't think these people had the decency to call and let them know though. Also, the class isn't too full yet, so they're not rationing out the acceptances yet - good luck everyone =)

does anyone know how many seats are filled?

does anyone know how many seats are filled?

At my interview a week and a half ago they said that the class was about half full.

edit: my acceptance was a week and a half ago, my interview was about 3 weeks ago, sorry.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I got an interview invite and was going to call them today to set up the date but I forgot my invite sheet when I left for my lab today. Could someone PM me the number for out of state students?

Thanks!

For those on the waitlist....I just gave up my seat to go to Western. Good luck!

I interviewed on 1/26 and found out today that I got high wait listed. Disappointing!

Yay! Interviewed 1/27, accepted today. if I don't end up at Western, I'll be going here =)

Interviewed on 1/27 and got in! I WILL be attending, so woot for all of the classes of 2013! Now, off to file my taxes, haha :)

so it takes about a week and half to hear back from this school?

They get back to you within two weeks if you email Dr. Haight that you would like an email to inform you on your status. In turn, if you do get accepted, you have to make your $2000 deposit within two weeks of obtaining your formal acceptance to reserve your seat. Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I interviewed on 1/26 and fund out 2/6 that I got in. We were told by Dr. Haight that the admissions committee meets every two weeks to review the 40 or so students they interview.

When I interviewed there was a presentation about a MPH/DO program. There was talk of the MPH class work starting in May. Did anyone else pay attention to this? Does anyone know anyone else who is doing the MPH program there as well?

thanks

Hi everyone,

I interviewed on 1/26 and fund out 2/6 that I got in. We were told by Dr. Haight that the admissions committee meets every two weeks to review the 40 or so students they interview.

When I interviewed there was a presentation about a MPH/DO program. There was talk of the MPH class work starting in May. Did anyone else pay attention to this? Does anyone know anyone else who is doing the MPH program there as well?

thanks

I'm not doing the program, BUT I do remember some stuff they said. You can start in May, then start your DO courses on schedule, and then continue in winter and the next summer. There's different ways to complete the program. Email the coordinator for the program though. Will you be attending Touro?

Thanks I will email the program director.

i started the MPH program a year and a half ago and i will be starting in the 2013 DO class. If you have any questions, let me know!

are there any statistics on how many people get interviewed. how many people get offered admissions? The out of state students? Student demographics?

For those of you who are accepted here and somewhere else:

What was your decision factor on choosing this school over others?
Are the bad rumors about school real or are they really just rumors?

Any comments on the current faculty members from current students?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Hey guys! I'm canceling my interview for March 3rd. Call admissions if you're looking for an earlier interview date b/c the 3rd should be open :). Good luck!

Hi All,

Just wanted to address the concerns regarding our curriculum. Last year Touro - CA began a transition to an integrated curriculum. We are now taught the "normal" and abnormal of each system concurrently. Unfortunately, the class of 2011 were the guinea pigs in the transition, so some mistakes were made with their class. Luckily, they were very helpful to the faculty and provided lots of feedback on how to improve the course material and presentation for future classes. I am happy to say that my class, 2012, is doing very, very well with the new curriculum. We all work very hard and have high class averages in our doctoring and science courses. Since the school is so young, they really take student feedback seriously. This has worked in their favor because I personally think the transitional curriculum issues have been resolved.

There are many clubs on campus, and thus many opportunities for leadership within COM and the whole school. We also have may research opportunities on campus.

Clinical experiences are a little lacking for first years, but once you enter the second year they are much easier to come by. You can always arrange your own extra curricular experiences for the first year. There are also several clinics in which we participate. PM me for more details.

Also, I just need to plug that our OMM department is fabulous! Our professors are absolute experts in what they do, and they spend lots of time training us so that they can send a generation of DOs into practice who will use OMM to aid their diagnostic skills and treatment plan.

Sorry for the lengthy post- just wanted to spread the love for Touro - CA! I am just a first year student, no affiliation with campus tours or interviews, but I am always open to answer questions.

Congrats to all who have been accepted, and good luck to those of you who have their interviews in the near future! :)

Hi All,

Just wanted to address the concerns regarding our curriculum. Last year Touro - CA began a transition to an integrated curriculum. We are now taught the "normal" and abnormal of each system concurrently. Unfortunately, the class of 2011 were the guinea pigs in the transition, so some mistakes were made with their class. Luckily, they were very helpful to the faculty and provided lots of feedback on how to improve the course material and presentation for future classes. I am happy to say that my class, 2012, is doing very, very well with the new curriculum. We all work very hard and have high class averages in our doctoring and science courses. Since the school is so young, they really take student feedback seriously. This has worked in their favor because I personally think the transitional curriculum issues have been resolved.

There are many clubs on campus, and thus many opportunities for leadership within COM and the whole school. We also have may research opportunities on campus.

Clinical experiences are a little lacking for first years, but once you enter the second year they are much easier to come by. You can always arrange your own extra curricular experiences for the first year. There are also several clinics in which we participate. PM me for more details.

Also, I just need to plug that our OMM department is fabulous! Our professors are absolute experts in what they do, and they spend lots of time training us so that they can send a generation of DOs into practice who will use OMM to aid their diagnostic skills and treatment plan.

Sorry for the lengthy post- just wanted to spread the love for Touro - CA! I am just a first year student, no affiliation with campus tours or interviews, but I am always open to answer questions.

Congrats to all who have been accepted, and good luck to those of you who have their interviews in the near future! :)

Thanks for sharing HealingDoc. I'm in The Class of 2013. It’s nice to know that some if not all of the kinks in the transitional curriculum have been ironed out. I’m really excited and looking forward to getting started the first week of August. One thing I’d like to add is that research opportunities at Touro-CA are rapidly expanding. If you’re a prospective student interested in research, TUCOM has research partnerships with UCSF, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and international labs in places such as Japan, Brazil, and Canada. Touro will soon begin building a unique, state-of-the-art Cancer Treatment & Research Center. "The Development and Acquisition Agreements with the City of Vallejo were approved by the Vallejo City Council on June 24th and project ground breaking is scheduled for mid 2009." Check it out at http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=119&page=1023

Touro is rapidly growing. There are plans to build The Touro University Village Center. Check it out at http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=119&page=1021

Here are some other projects Touro is working on, including the above http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=119&page=1021

So I just received an invite to interview here and I am quite surprised because I had been complete since August and had not heard anything. I had really good grades last semester though so maybe that had something to do with it? Any way... I was wondering what people thought my chances of acceptance were. I do not want to spend a ton of money to fly out there when I'm just going to get waitlisted because it is sooo late in the application season. Any thoughts would be great! (Check my MDapps) :)

So I just received an invite to interview here and I am quite surprised because I had been complete since August and had not heard anything. I had really good grades last semester though so maybe that had something to do with it? Any way... I was wondering what people thought my chances of acceptance were. I do not want to spend a ton of money to fly out there when I'm just going to get waitlisted because it is sooo late in the application season. Any thoughts would be great! (Check my MDapps) :)
I recently interviewed here & Dr. Haight told us they do not interview just for waitlist spots. However, by the time you interview they will be in the second part of their interview season meaning they will be rationing out acceptance seats. Your stats are a bit below the school's average for their current students, so if you interview I would talk about how you recently improved & what you did to improve. It looks like you've been accepted to another school already, so if it were me I would only interview if you really wanted to go to Touro over the one you were accepted to.

Congrats on your interview invite. They wouldn't have invited you if they didn't think you'd be a good student at TUCOM. You seem like a well rounded applicant. During your interview, if you are a good listener and convey confidence and passion for the things you have done on your application then I think you have a good chance of an acceptance. Good luck.

Hi! I just got accepted into Touro (interviewed on 1/26) and will be moving to California from Washington. I'm looking for a roomate or two (female only) to share a condo/apartment close to school or withing a short driving distance. I'll be graduating in June from University of Washington in Seattle and moving down around the end of July before schools. I'm a non-smoker, clean, and responsible roomate (just ask my current ones now!) and easy to get along with.

Since I'm from out-of-state, I'm hoping to drive down in March during Spring break to look at housing, sign a lease, etc. If you're interested in looking for a place together, please either message me or email me at [email protected]!!

I think I have pretty low stats, and Dr. Haight even told me I was at the extreme low end of the science GPA that they would accept. However, I got my interview invite, and acceptance. I would just recommend not questioning an interview, but rather if you decide to take it, go into it with confidence and be honest. They seem to have a great faculty! Good luck with everything.

Hi everyone, I realize that I'm really late in the app cycle. But even still I was surprised when I went to schedule my interview for Tucom CA and they said that the earliest date they had was May 11th... I was wondering if at that date, I would only be competing for a waitlist position? or if they actually withheld positions as long as they scheduled interviews... Thanks.

Hi everyone, I realize that I'm really late in the app cycle. But even still I was surprised when I went to schedule my interview for Tucom CA and they said that the earliest date they had was May 11th... I was wondering if at that date, I would only be competing for a waitlist position? or if they actually withheld positions as long as they scheduled interviews... Thanks.

If you get an interview, then you have a chance for an acceptance offer. Dr. Haight explained that they don't interview for waitlist spots, but the number of available seats gets smaller the later you interview. So, there is a chance. Good luck.

You can also ask to be but on the list to call if someone cancels. I got my interview moved up 5 weeks this way.

Last edited:
For those of you who have interviewed...I've heard some strange things about the interview format. Is it true that you're in a room with other potential students and a couple of faculty? Also, where did anyone stay? Any recommendations? And how long was the interview day?

Any information will be appreciated! Thanks :)

For those of you who have interviewed...I've heard some strange things about the interview format. Is it true that you're in a room with other potential students and a couple of faculty? Also, where did anyone stay? Any recommendations? And how long was the interview day?

Any information will be appreciated! Thanks :)

I stayed at the Marriott right across from the Six Flags theme park. Very nice hotel and free shuttle rides to and from the interview.

You are correct on the interview panel. You will have 3-5 other students with you and the 3 person panel will ask each person a set of 3 questions, more or less. Usually the questions differ for each person, but I've heard of them asking the same question multiple times in the same interview. My panel consisted of 2 faculty members (1 PhD and 1 DO) and a student, with 5 other interviewees with me.

Good luck!

I stayed at the Marriott right across from the Six Flags theme park. Very nice hotel and free shuttle rides to and from the interview.

You are correct on the interview panel. You will have 3-5 other students with you and the 3 person panel will ask each person a set of 3 questions, more or less. Usually the questions differ for each person, but I've heard of them asking the same question multiple times in the same interview. My panel consisted of 2 faculty members (1 PhD and 1 DO) and a student, with 5 other interviewees with me.

Good luck!

Thank you for all the information!! How long did the day last? My boyfriend is flying into Oakland that evening and I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to pick him up. Thanks again!

Thank you for all the information!! How long did the day last? My boyfriend is flying into Oakland that evening and I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to pick him up. Thanks again!

I was there until about 230 or so, but it seemed like the day's schedule was tentative for we did not strictly adhere to the time frames. You may get out earlier or later than that.

I was there until about 230 or so, but it seemed like the day's schedule was tentative for we did not strictly adhere to the time frames. You may get out earlier or later than that.

Thank you!!!!!!!! :)
I just wanted to make sure they didn't have a super long interview day like some other schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.