Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If u need a place to go to this Fall, tell Sean you'd like to reconsider for Middletown Dr. Zombie, Yesterday at 7:43 PM

Thanks for the idea! I have an acceptance, and I would rather go there than Middletown. I really want to stay in an urban area.

Members don't see this ad.

Btw, do the admission committees give out II to most of the applicants? Or there is actually a selection? I just wanna know how high the possibility of my being accepted at this timepoint is, coz it's very late in this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have Sean's email address? Can't seem to find it on the website or faculty list. Thanks much!

I just interviewed at Touro yesterday and they said both harlem and middletown are full. They are interviewing as backups right now but u never know might still have a shot of getting in

I just interviewed at Touro yesterday and they said both harlem and middletown are full. They are interviewing as backups right now but u never know might still have a shot of getting in

Bad news :( it seems that the waitlist did not move much in the previous years...

I also interviewed on Monday, but was told that only Harlem was full at the moment...:arghh: who to believe?!

Bad news :( it seems that the waitlist did not move much in the previous years...
I was checking last years thread as well and according to the dates people posted, on March 28 there were 100 people on the waitlist and then on July 13 there were 71 people on the waitlist. Let's not get too discouraged yet as not everyone on SDN is not really representative of who gets off the waitlist! :)

So I just called Sean. He said that there are two big chunks of movement. The first happens May 15 when the deposit is due. He said usually it might go Til May 22 since they allow people to post date their checks. Then the next movement is June 15 when the Masters students get their grades back. They usually leave an excess amount of seats open for the Masters students (5-10 more than how many they actually expect for them to matriculate). He also said there are roughly a little over 100 people on the waitlist. Crossing my fingers that hopefully most of those people chose to go somewhere else and didn't bother telling the school!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who interviewed... can you please post some of the questions that you were asked!

I will decline my acceptance to Middletown. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who interviewed... can you please post some of the questions that you were asked!

Honestly, I just got asked regular interview questions that you would expect- Why DO? Why medicine? Tell us about yourself, etc. (nothing really out of the ordinary). Of course it also wouldn't hurt to prepare for atypical questions (like, what kind of fruit would you be if you had to choose one :p)
I would suggest knowing your application well and being able to explain any discrepancies, such as low grades, low mcat score(s), gaps in education, & also be able to explain, in detail, any research you did and/or activities you participated in because I got a few of those questions. Hope it helps! Good luck!

Anyone could tell me how the interview goes? Individual, panel (2+ interviewers to 1 interviewee) or a group (like 10 interviewers to 10 interviewees) format?

Anyone could tell me how the interview goes? Individual, panel (2+ interviewers to 1 interviewee) or a group (like 10 interviewers to 10 interviewees) format?
I would like to know as well!!!

From reading various threads, it looks like a 2 person panel that interviews you only. It sounds like the standard questions sprinkled with app-specific and maybe an ethical question or two.

From reading various threads, it looks like a 2 person panel that interviews you only. It sounds like the standard questions sprinkled with app-specific and maybe an ethical question or two.

This was pretty much my experience.

Does anyone know if there is a fb group or discussion thread for students matriculating for the class of 2014?

I couldn't find a FB group, so I made one for the class of 2018. For those of you who are matriculating at TouroCOM in 2014, join! This is place to meet other classmates, and I actually made it particularly so we can begin to look for roomates. I've just begun to look for housing and living alone in NYC is super expensive. Please either PM me or join the FB group if you are looking for roommates!

Oh btw, the FB group name is: Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Class of 2018. Join!

Hey I'm an incoming student in this year's class at TouroCOM Harlem. I do not have a facebook, so I wanted to ask on SDN if anyone is interested in living with me for this year. I'm a 24 year old male from California, and ideally I'd like to find a single room in 2-3 bedroom apartment somewhere close to campus. I want to move in about a month before school starts, and I will be in New York looking for places starting in late June. Let me know if you're interested!
Hey! Join the FB group: Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Class of 2018. I created the page so we can begin to look for roommates for the fall. I only just created the page so if you know people who are matriculating, tell them to join as well! Spread the word :)

Hi. I have been accepted to Touro Harlem and have several questions about the school. What are some positives and negatives? Are the administration and faculty supportive? Do you choose your rotation sites or is there a lottery system that designates your location? Lastly, how would you compare it to other schools such as Rowan SOM (formerly UMDNJ SOM)? Thank you.

Hi. I have been accepted to Touro Harlem and have several questions about the school. What are some positives and negatives? Are the administration and faculty supportive? Do you choose your rotation sites or is there a lottery system that designates your location? Lastly, how would you compare it to other schools such as Rowan SOM (formerly UMDNJ SOM)? Thank you.

Are u instate for rowan?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes, I am instate for Rowan. But I have strong ties to New York City and North Jersey. Are both schools about the same or is one simply a stronger program? I know medical school is what you make of it, but it would be helpful to get some insight.

Tnbb234,

I realize this may not help, but you really should have asked these questions during your interview and tour. Good luck deciding!

During the interview day, my group didn't get a tour from current students since they were scheduled for an exam. So I'm just trying to get more insight on the program. If anyone else has useful information, pros and cons, or even for students who have accepted - what made you decide on this school - that would be helpful. Thanks

Last edited:
Does anyone know how strict the 24 mcat screen is? I.E. Anyone receive a secondary with a mcat score below 24? I'm interested in both Harlem and Middletown.

Does anyone know how strict the 24 mcat screen is? I.E. Anyone receive a secondary with a mcat score below 24? I'm interested in both Harlem and Middletown.
I think they screen for > 24 mcat and > 3.0 cumulative and science gpa's but I think they are lenient if you have 2/3. Don't quote me on that though but I think it's around those metrics.

I think they screen for > 24 mcat and > 3.0 cumulative and science gpa's but I think they are lenient if you have 2/3. Don't quote me on that though but I think it's around those metrics.

Thanks for the reply! I wonder if they will at least take a look at the primary app (E.C's, Personal Statement, etc) prior to screening. If not it seems like a waste to even send it if you don't meet those minimums.

Thanks for the reply! I wonder if they will at least take a look at the primary app (E.C's, Personal Statement, etc) prior to screening. If not it seems like a waste to even send it if you don't meet those minimums.
I posted this back in september after speaking with admissions so hopefully this helps: "I actually spoke with an admissions assistant and he said there is a 3.0 cgpa, 3.0 sgpa, and 24 mcat cutoff. But he said if you are hovering close to a 3.0 in the cgpa, they may look at other things such as grade trends, courseload, bio and hard science performance, etc 2 when it comes to receiving a secondary. He said the BS section average (weighted greatly by Touro) was around a 10.5 last year for average matriculants but expects that to drop with the addition of 135 spots at the Middletown campus"

I posted this back in september after speaking with admissions so hopefully this helps: "I actually spoke with an admissions assistant and he said there is a 3.0 cgpa, 3.0 sgpa, and 24 mcat cutoff. But he said if you are hovering close to a 3.0 in the cgpa, they may look at other things such as grade trends, courseload, bio and hard science performance, etc 2 when it comes to receiving a secondary. He said the BS section average (weighted greatly by Touro) was around a 10.5 last year for average matriculants but expects that to drop with the addition of 135 spots at the Middletown campus"

Thanks! This helped! :)

I interviewed at Touro on 4/28. Anyone know when I should expect to hear back from them regarding their decision?

I interviewed at Touro on 4/28. Anyone know when I should expect to hear back from them regarding their decision?
I was on 5/7 but it sounded like the late interviewees will hear back after the 26th of May. They are waiting for the deposit deadline and giving a little over a week after that date (5/15) to give post-marked mail a chance to arrive. I think they are also waiting until sometime in June for waitlist and other decisions to see how many of their MS students meet the 3.5 cut to automatically be accepted for august.

Gave up my seat in Harlem. I hope it goes to one of you guys!

Am I the only one who is checking emails like a Hawk right now???

Attachments

• hmm.jpg
    hmm.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 48