Touro College of Pharmacy NY - Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well im coming from long island- specifically woodmere, ny (5 towns anyone?) and on a good day it only took me 35 minutes to get there, doesnt seem so bad.

sparda- what is the average day like in terms of hours that you are actually committed to school? is it consistently 8-5 every single day?

35 minutes haha goodluck with morning traffic it will be atleast 1 hour ...van wyck is a standstill in the morning

Members don't see this ad.

so are interviews done?? did the people who couldn't make it to the interview day during the snow storm already interview??

I heard that yesterday was the last day of interviews!!!!!
Anyone know otherwise???

Members don't see this ad :)
also- does anyone know when school is scheduled to start? i emailed them and they said early august, does anyone know how early?

I also come from Long Island, live in Franklin Square (near Valley Stream). So I just take the Southern State to the Cross Island North (I take it all the way north), to the Whitestone Expressway, back down to the Grand Central West, across the Triboro bridge and into Manhattan. It can be as quick as 15-20 minutes if I'm doing 90-110 mph, which I usually can do on the Cross Island.

Worst case scenario so far has been 1 hour 45 minutes.

If you live in Forest Hills, I'd just take the subway. The reason I no longer take the LIRR is because of it's unreliability at night and the fact that if the train stops, you cannot do ANYTHING about it. Versus, if there is traffic on one highway, I can easily figure out a new route to take.

Time dedication to school? P1 year, you'll probably have 2-3 days of 9-4PM and the rest of the days 9-12PM. For me, I have Mondays 9-12PM, Tuesdays 9-4PM, Wednesday and Thursday 9-12PM, Friday is no school unless there are exams.

So whats happening next week ----when should we hear from them????

Orientation starts mid-late August. Classes start end of August, so a week before that. Orientation last for one week, this includes CPR cerification.

Orientation starts mid-late August. Classes start end of August, so a week before that. Orientation last for one week, this includes CPR cerification.

Do you need to be certified for CPR prior to orientation ?

thank you so much onehot, do you remember when it began last year? does that mean like august 16th? thanks so much!

I don't remember the exact date but its the week before the end of August.

CPR class is held during the last few days of orientation, this is included in your tuition. You will learn the proper CPR skills which you will be tested at the end of class. Once you pass, the company who does the certification will send you a certification card in the mail. You will need to be certified in order to practice at some of the sites where you will do your externships.

I don't remember the exact date but its the week before the end of August.

CPR class is held during the last few days of orientation, this is included in your tuition. You will learn the proper CPR skills which you will be tested at the end of class. Once you pass, the company who does the certification will send you a certification card in the mail. You will need to be certified in order to practice at some of the sites where you will do your externships.

So what if i am already certified CPR and have a certificate, is that gona make a difference in attending orientations

Members don't see this ad :)
When does it expire?

i believe at the end of this year, but it can be renewed easily. is it gona make a difference though .....! or i still have to go through the classes again

i believe at the end of this year, but it can be renewed easily. is it gona make a difference though .....! or i still have to go through the classes again

Well, the renewal is basically you go back, take a written test, and if you fail the written test, you have to take the whole course all over again.

The certificate you get at Touro is good for 2 years, and you will need the CPR certification in order to go on your practice experiences.

Well, the renewal is basically you go back, take a written test, and if you fail the written test, you have to take the whole course all over again.

The certificate you get at Touro is good for 2 years, and you will need the CPR certification in order to go on your practice experiences.

i signed up for a class to take cpr certifications is it worth doing it now or with touro?

DID anyone hear from touro?????
When are the answers coming allready????
Im so nervous

I believe it's in March, two weeks after the interviews are done.

Even Doctors Get nervous sometimes......
I wonder if everyone is getting there answers on the same day

A lot of the local residents in the area are happy that there is a medical school and a pharmacy school in Harlem. I got stopped in the street one time by a homeless guy. At first I thought he was either going to mug me or ask me for money, but as it turns out he just wanted to talk about how happy he was that the neighborhood has changed for the better and how he likes there being a medical school/pharmacy school right in the middle of Harlem.

got into SUNY Buffalo ..if i receive invitation i will cancel to give up my spot to one of you..best luck hopefully all of you will know by end of next week whether you get in or don't.

congrats! I just got mine as well! but didn't she say we would have 10 days to decide? My email says I need to respond by Monday 5:00 or my spot will be given to an alternate.

lol yeah i just realized today is NOT the 12th

are you accepting? is touro you're first choice?

do they send all emails at once?? anyone know?

hi all! i just received my acceptance email about an hour ago too! For those of you who've applied or are current students, I was wondering what are your individual reasons for choosing Touro? :)

I got my acceptance email as well!:love:

good luck to those of you still waiting!

The email says we have til 3/15 to report that we want to accept the seat, and til 4/15 to make sure the 2K deposit is (literally) in their hands. Since it appears it costs nothing to reserve the seat for a month, I think a good number of those on waitlist will likely get in on or after 4/15.

got put on alternative list even though I thought my interview went well. Hope i get in. Congrats to all that got in! how many are accepting??

Sparda was anyone taken off waiting list last year or the first year??

Last edited:
got put on alternative list even though I thought my interview went well. Hope i get in. Congrats to all that got in! how many are accepting??

i believe sparda him self was taken off the waiting list. I also got in. Congratz to everyone. How many of you are partying tonight?

i believe sparda him self was taken off the waiting list. I also got in. Congratz to everyone. How many of you are partying tonight?

does anyone know how many people are on wait list and if they list like high priority, medium priority??

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!

Waiting on a couple of other schools, as Touro isn't my top choice--so don't worry for those who are on alternate!

Yup, I was taken off the alternate list. I believe the way it is done is based on points ranking, you get points objectively (GPA, PCAT, courses you took, course load), and subjectively (LOR, essay, interview). I believe after that, they add up all the points for the people. For this year, I guess the Top 100 in points are sent acceptances. I don't know how many are on the alternate list.

Thus, if an accepted person turns down an offer, doesn't respond to the acceptance, or fails to give in the deposit, they are crossed off the list and the top people on the alternate list are selected.

Yup, I was taken off the alternate list. I believe the way it is done is based on points ranking, you get points objectively (GPA, PCAT, courses you took, course load), and subjectively (LOR, essay, interview). I believe after that, they add up all the points for the people. For this year, I guess the Top 100 in points are sent acceptances. I don't know how many are on the alternate list.

Thus, if an accepted person turns down an offer, doesn't respond to the acceptance, or fails to give in the deposit, they are crossed off the list and the top people on the alternate list are selected.

how does one find out which position they are on alternate list??

Hey sparda. Do you know if we get points for classes that are in progress? I completed and passed all my pre-reqs and I have a bs degree. Right now I am retaking pre-reqs to get a better grade just in case I needed to reapply to pharm school next year. I was thinking about dropping the classes so I can get some of my money back. Do you think doing so will affect my acceptance??? I know this is a question to ask the school but maybe you might know. Thanks.

oh my gosssssssh....i got accepted....i cannot believe it

thank you lord. hallelujah

Who else got accepted, come on guys, let us know. but i have a question regarding the accreditation of the school, is it safe to get enrolled SPARDA (please answer me sparda) in the school, while the school is not in full accreditation status. please guys let me know how you feel about this,

oh my gosssssssh....i got accepted....i cannot believe it

thank you lord. hallelujah

Who else got accepted, come on guys, let us know. but i have a question regarding the accreditation of the school, is it safe to get enrolled SPARDA (please answer me sparda) in the school, while the school is not in full accreditation status. please guys let me know how you feel about this,

Relax

As long as the pharmacy school is in candidate status (and Touro college of pharmacy is at Candidate status), their students can sit for the NAPLEX.

So lets say you get to your p-3 or p-4 year (touro rotations yrs) and for some reason the candidate status school closes. You can still sit to take the NAPLEX and become a licensed pharmacist after completion of rotation hours.

Besides, a new pharmacy school can't get fully accredited until shortly after graduating its first class. I expect Touro college of pharmacy to receive full accreditation by the fall of 2012.

Long story short --> Candidate status schools are almost the same as fully accredited school and are SAFE!!

Congrats on being accepted!!

Last edited:
I just saw my acceptance email. I dont think I'm going to accept though. Good luck to everyone else

Last edited:
ACCEPTED :luck: ....it feels sooooooooooooo great to finally see the Email starting "Acceptance Letter" Aahhhhh...

Thank you Sparda and others for sharing your interview experiences and helping us out through your best understanding of the school.

Look forward to meet you all very soon :)

how does one find out which position they are on alternate list??

That info isn't released.

Hey sparda. Do you know if we get points for classes that are in progress? I completed and passed all my pre-reqs and I have a bs degree. Right now I am retaking pre-reqs to get a better grade just in case I needed to reapply to pharm school next year. I was thinking about dropping the classes so I can get some of my money back. Do you think doing so will affect my acceptance??? I know this is a question to ask the school but maybe you might know. Thanks.

I don't know about that. Personally, I wouldn't do any withdrawals this close, it could affect it, but I don't know.

I took some notes during the presentation when I was there for my interview on financial aid and tuition that I now cant seem to locate.

Dr. GP told us last year's tuition was 31K or so, and this year it will be going up due to normal inflation. Anyone here know what the cost is for this year?

And for students that are currently P1 or P2, can you give us a ballpark figure in how much you expect to be in debt with by the time you graduate? The financial aid portion of the website is still "under construction" and I dont know NY well enough to guesstimate room and board (though I understand it's high cost of living), meals, transportation, etc. Is it a pipe dream to think I can survive frugally on 20K a year if I were to live in NY with a roommate?

:confused:

Last edited: