Touro College of Pharmacy NY - Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my application for Tuoro has been complete for quite some time now but the application process doesn't start till february thats what the admissions told me :)

My friend is in the program there now and she loves it there & ny..

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of Pcat score's are they looking for .. no one can give me an answer on that

In order to be considered competitive, probably higher than a 75 Composite and no section lower than 50. And Touro does put an equal weight on the PCAT than the GPA, probably more weight on the PCAT.

she's a P1 now and not sure about her pcat, but your pcat's should be above 70's at least.

How many applications do you think will be sent into Touro NY. If there are any current students or anyone that knows any current students; How much does it cost each semester including tuition, living, books and any other possible expenditures

i'm not sure about this but i believe my friend said a year is 50-60k. and think about it, you're in NYC..rent is NOT cheap. Her rent is 900 a month and thats the cheapest she said she found.

The rent is around 700-1000 a month depending on where you live. You can borrow up to 65k a year to cover tuition, room, and other expenses. 50k-55k a year is a good estimate to cover all your expenses.

How many applications do you think will be sent into Touro NY. If there are any current students or anyone that knows any current students; How much does it cost each semester including tuition, living, books and any other possible expenditures

$50,000/year or $25,000/semester should cover almost everything.

so whats the deal with the feb. extension? did they not get enough applicants? or need more funds?

What February extension? It's still January on PharmCAS.

It's February - Pharmcas even sent out an email about this specific extension.

The original date was Jan. 5, the supplemental says Jan. 12 at the top, and the extension email was sent out about a week ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's February - Pharmcas even sent out an email about this specific extension.

The original date was Jan. 5, the supplemental says Jan. 12 at the top, and the extension email was sent out about a week ago.

I dunno about that, perhaps there is a slowdown in the administration or something. I think the whole school was closed for all of Hanukah so I don't think any work got done then, and there are some rotations that we have in January so I think that's why they extended it but I'm not sure.

Will Touro offer rotation sites? I know it is a new school and might have trouble attaining sites. Under their curriculum it states "professional experiences may not be directly in a pharmacy or clinic setting but will deal with public health, advocacy and professional experiences that should be part of the pharmacist’s knowledge and skills requirements, but are not currently under the direct supervision of a pharmacist." Does anyone also know the tuition cost per semester (disregarding living costs)?

Will Touro offer rotation sites? I know it is a new school and might have trouble attaining sites. Under their curriculum it states "professional experiences may not be directly in a pharmacy or clinic setting but will deal with public health, advocacy and professional experiences that should be part of the pharmacist’s knowledge and skills requirements, but are not currently under the direct supervision of a pharmacist." Does anyone also know the tuition cost per semester (disregarding living costs)?

Yes, Touro has rotation sites. Your introductory rotations are done in your P1 and P2 years. The first year, you need to complete a community pharmacy rotation, and a public health rotation (Senator's office, American Heart Association, Cancer clinic, Environmental Agency, domestic violence, etc). In your P2 year, you complete a hospital rotation and a long-term care facility rotation (I'm hoping I get the rotation at the Riker's Island Prison).

You complete the two rotations each year in two of the following four months: January, June, July, August. Personally, I'd like to have my rotations in January and June, but unfortunately I'm having them this year in definitely August and either June or July.

In my case, I did my community pharmacy rotation at an independent pharmacy in the Bronx, my public health was at a place that advocated for victims of domestic violence, my hospital rotation will be at Lawrence Hospital in August, and not sure when my long-term care rotation is going to be.

i really appreciate your detailed response. what is the tuition cost per semester?

sorry disregard the last q, i just read the touro faq

So is the supplemental still due on Jan. 12? Or is there also an extension for the supplemental?

Can anyone please tell me what Gpa and Pcat score does touro usually accept?

Can anyone please tell me what Gpa and Pcat score does touro usually accept?

Now that they are Candidate status, expect competition to go up. I got in with a 3.1 GPA (PharmCAS GPA was 2.8 due to the way they grade retaken classes.)

You need to dominate on the personal statement and interview. People with 4.0s were rejected in favor of a more balanced applicant who had a significantly less GPA.

I'm currently a Touro P1 student. Great experience overall with the program. I'm sure perspective students looking to apply will enjoy their studies here. I have no doubt that this school will shape those who attend into great pharmacists.

I noticed the academic and extracirrular experience varies between each of my classmates. Some have high academic grades with no experience, some have as much as 10 years pharmacy experience with mid-tier grades, some have mid-level experience to mid-level grades and etc...

You have to have something on your application which stands out, whether its leadership experience, academic accomplishments, volunteering, etc.

Being that this is a public health school, they are looking for people who not only have a passion for pharmacy but also a geniune interest in improving the health of the people.

Good luck and pm with questions about the program!

According to its website, Touro is Jewish-sponsored ("The College was established primarily to enrich the Jewish heritage...") So is there any advantage in applying if you're Jewish? Does level of observance make any difference? (Specifically, can inobservance be used against you?)

Last edited:
According to its website, Touro is Jewish-sponsored ("The College was established primarily to enrich the Jewish heritage...") So is there any advantage in applying if you're Jewish? Does level of observance make any difference? (Specifically, can inobservance be used against you?)

No I dont think being Jewish and the level of observance you are, will help you (high or low). The admissions office are African-American Woman who are firm on the phone about showing prefrence to no one.

Even though the Dean is obviously Jewish based on his last name, I heard from people that go to Touro Undergrad that he is not observant on a daily bases, meaning he might just go to Temple on high holidays.

Now that they are Candidate status, expect competition to go up. I got in with a 3.1 GPA (PharmCAS GPA was 2.8 due to the way they grade retaken classes.)

You need to dominate on the personal statement and interview. People with 4.0s were rejected in favor of a more balanced applicant who had a significantly less GPA.

Yo Sparda I dont want to sound like a wise guy, but ur coming off kind of unreliable.

especially by saing people with 4.0's were rejected. Come on, people calculated that 90% of people who got interviewed were accepted. that other 10% were people who went to a different school instead of touro.

just confirming because there are different dates everywhere...is the deadline for the supplemental 02/01/10?
that's what it says on PharmCAS but on Touro's application it says Jan 12th?

If someone would clarify this i would appreciate it, thanks :)

just confirming because there are different dates everywhere...is the deadline for the supplemental 02/01/10?
that's what it says on PharmCAS but on Touro's application it says Jan 12th?

If someone would clarify this i would appreciate it, thanks :)

No clue, try calling the office.

I just wished the updated their stats on pharmcas I feel like they are hiding something

Majority of the class is predominately Asian, both indian and oriental descent. Only a very small percentage is Jewish. Pharmacy school entry is strictly based on merit and related experiences, not so much religous belief or ethinicity.

I don't know about the 90% acceptance. We had 120 interviewed and only 80 accepted last year.

They do have different deadlines for both supplemental and pharmcas deadlines.

Yo Sparda I dont want to sound like a wise guy, but ur coming off kind of unreliable.

especially by saing people with 4.0's were rejected. Come on, people calculated that 90% of people who got interviewed were accepted. that other 10% were people who went to a different school instead of touro.

The admissions for Touro's Class of 2012 were done from Mid July to Early September in 2008, long after other Pharmacy schools had completed their admissions.

Therefore, Touro was the only option available at that time. to anyone who was attempting to get into pharmacy school and graduate in the Class of 2012. People with 4.0s WERE rejected. I know that's definitely true.

The Class of 2013 is predominately Asian (and a lot of Californians) while the Class of 2012 is a bit more mixed.

Touro itself is a Jewish sponsored school (they ****ing removed the Monster energy drinks from the vending machines because its not kosher, and an elective that was planned to go to Peru to study the medicinal plants in the Amazon was cancelled because of a lack of accommodation to the Jewish students, something I found quite annoying.) But there is no advantage in admissions if you are Jewish. We only have like 8 Jewish students in our class. The one good thing about it being a Jewish school is because we get holidays that I have never heard of. (There's a whole week in October that we get off for something called Sukkot, then we get another whole week for Passover. Our winter vacation starts December 14, and classes end by 12PM on Fridays.)

Majority of the class is predominately Asian, both indian and oriental descent. Only a very small percentage is Jewish. Pharmacy school entry is strictly based on merit and related experiences, not so much religous belief or ethinicity.

I don't know about the 90% acceptance. We had 120 interviewed and only 80 accepted last year.

They do have different deadlines for both supplemental and pharmcas deadlines.
Onehot are you saying that (A)out of 120 interviews 80 were accepted and had the choice of taking a seat in Touro

or (B) Out of 120 students were interviewed 80 accepted the seats for the fall in Touro.

I know for sure some kids were granted a seat but took LIU instead.

Onehot are you saying that (A)out of 120 interviews 80 were accepted and had the choice of taking a seat in Touro

or (B) Out of 120 students were interviewed 80 accepted the seats for the fall in Touro.

I know for sure some kids were granted a seat but took LIU instead.

The class has 75 students, I believe that 80 students were accepted, and I'm pretty sure we had more than 120 students interview. Now that Touro is candidate-status, its the superior option in comparison to LIU. Much smaller class size, 2 years of rotations instead of 1 year, thus you'll be more clinically advanced compared to an LIU graduate, more advanced facilities, and if you're a driver, it's a lot easier to drive to Touro in Harlem (Uptown Manhattan), as opposed to LIU in Downtown Brooklyn.

A)out of 120 interviews 80 were accepted and had the choice of taking a seat in Touro

A is the correct answer according to the stats on pharmcas. Our class has 75 students, I suspect that a few acceptances from Touro chose another school.

We have applicants from all over the country, not just NY. We have one student from as far as London and also one from Hawaii. We also have a few from Florida, but majority is from California. Surprisingly only a few from NY, 12 students to be exact, I'm one of them.

If you look at LIU requirements it is completely different from Touro. Not many prespective LIU applicants would qualify for Touro prereqs since Touro prereq are much more extensive than LIU (BS degree, Microbiology, Stats, Biochem, etc) . I would suspect that only a lucky few had the luxury of being accepted to both schools. But yeah, From what I saw from last year's thread 1 or 2 students from SDN chose to go to LIU over Touro.

If you do have the luxury to choose, I would go to a school where you would be comfortable with. But based on experience with working with some alumni and current students from LIU, I'm not sure if LIU is the best choice for pharmacy. Some of the LIU pharmacists I have met can care less about the community they serve and only look forward to the paycheck every second week. Not to say that they don't produce exceptional pharmacist either, but they are far and in between.

In the end, it all depends on the individual and what they want to accomplish with their degree. Hopefully, its not to earn just a bi-weekly paycheck.

The class has 75 students, I believe that 80 students were accepted, and I'm pretty sure we had more than 120 students interview. Now that Touro is candidate-status, its the superior option in comparison to LIU. Much smaller class size, 2 years of rotations instead of 1 year, thus you'll be more clinically advanced compared to an LIU graduate, more advanced facilities, and if you're a driver, it's a lot easier to drive to Touro in Harlem (Uptown Manhattan), as opposed to LIU in Downtown Brooklyn.

I'm not sure about harlem being easiler to get to, I guess it depends on where you live.

Just to add to the advantages of going to touro;
FRIDAY EXAM DAY = get most friday's off if we don't get exams.
Trust me guys, this is A W E S O M E!!

And of course, getting to hang out with Sparda, he's the coolest! I swear! lol...

(B) Out of 120 students were interviewed 80 accepted the seats for the fall in Touro.

B is the correct answer according to the stats on pharmcas. Our class has 75 students, I suspect that a few acceptances from Touro chose another school.

We have applicants from all over the country, not just NY. We have one student from as far as London and also one from Hawaii.

If you look at LIU requirements it is completely different from Touro. Not many prespective LIU applicants would qualify for Touro prereqs since Touro prereq are much more extensive than LIU (BS degree, Microbiology, Stats, Biochem, etc) . I would suspect that only a lucky few had the luxury of being accepted to both schools. But yeah, From what I saw from last year's thread 1 or 2 students from SDN chose to go to LIU over Touro.

If you do have the luxury to choose, I would go to a school where you would be comfortable with. But based on experience with working with some alumni and current students from LIU, I'm not sure if LIU is the best choice for pharmacy. Some of the LIU pharmacists I have met can care less about the community they serve and only look forward to the paycheck every second week. Not to say that they don't produce exceptional pharmacist either, but they are far and in between.

In the end, it all depends on the individual and what they want to accomplish with their degree. Hopefully, its not to earn just a bi-weekly paycheck.

PROs & CONs of TOURO New York

PROs:

-small class sizes (<80)
(the goal is to keep attendance at under 100)

- New facilities (classrooms, lockers, gym, etc etc)

- Extra attentive faculty and administration. (school does a good job of getting feedbacks from students) Hence, the endless amount of surveys on e-value

- 2 + 2 program: 2 years of didactic and 2 years of rotation
That is an extra year of rotation to help you figure out the specific pharmacy career path you want after graduation. Plus, most of the learning is solidified through experience and the extra year of rotation can only help improve your resume.

- Friday exam is awesome. (Touro California take their midterms in blocks and personally, i rather take 1 midterm once a week)

-Conveniently located in New York City (perfect place to live for those who don't have a family yet)

CONs

- Improvement still needed (study room policies, lack of food choices in school cafeteria, blackboards, etc, etc)

- Located in Harlem (some students feel uncomfortable with the place at night) A Good way is to make the trip home with a group of classmates.

- Last minute changes. The school is new and is trying its best to work out the kinks. Sometimes, both faculty and students have to be flexible and roll with it. (example: the AC didn't function properly for majority of 1st semester and class room felt like a sauna for awhile) Surprisingly, AC started working on and after the day when the dean came to visit us.

Here at Touro NY, we have a decent program. I admit there is a lot of room for improvement, but the program is headed in the right direction.

I understand there is some confusion expressed here in terms of application due dates. Looks like pharmCAS application due date was changed to Feb. Though, I have no idea if the supplemental application due date has changed or not.

If I were you, I would turn everything in early, well before the supplemental application due date. If you haven't turn the supplemental in yet, I would call the school and speak to Mary or Dr. Garland-Patterson. If no answer, stay persistent. Leave a message, and try again on next business day.

Last edited:
Yeah the study room policies is one thing that needs improvement on. As you all probably know, the whole 5-floor building is shared by 2 years of Osteopathic Medicine and 2 years of Pharmacy students. The Osteopathic Medicine students are pretty unprofessional and always encroach on our territory causing problems. And the other quirk I have is the lack of good healthy food in the area of the school, thus you notice the health disparities in NYC, which is part of the mission of Touro's program. A hypothesis that me and one of my friends came up with, you can calculate the quality and health of a neighborhood by the amount of fried chicken and other fast food places in the neighborhood, usually there is an inverse relationship.

A lot of our students actually take the subway down to 59th street to pick up stuff from stores like Whole Foods quite a lot. Personally, I would drive to a good restaurant at the expense of losing the good parking spot that I find in the morning.

You can add Trevor and his "helpfulness" or lack thereof, to the list of needed improvements. Financial aid deptment is definitely lacking a lot of help and effort. It took him forever to process a loan, his one word answers doesn't help either. He needs to be booted!

You guys are right about the food but its hard when the majority of people that live in Harlem are on medicaid and have low income. Access to healthy food can be a thing of luxury, mcdonalds and KFC seems more accessible and CHEAP..

You can add Trevor and his "helpfulness" or lack thereof, to the list of needed improvements. Financial aid deptment is definitely lacking a lot of help and effort. It took him forever to process a loan, his one word answers doesn't help either. He needs to be booted!

You guys are right about the food but its hard when the majority of people that live in Harlem are on medicaid and have low income. Access to healthy food can be a thing of luxury, mcdonalds and KFC seems more accessible and CHEAP..

I've found registrar, bursar, and financial aid offices at all schools to be absolutely ****.

I just received an interview invitation from Touro NY. I'll be there Feb 02, anyone else?
To Touro students: Can you please give me some pointers on what to expect during the interview process? Is it open or closed file? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Also received an interview invite for Feb 1st, I will most likely be declining it due to an acceptance at another program, good luck to everyone!

I was called for interview on Feb 3. Good luck everyone!

I just received an interview invitation from Touro NY. I'll be there Feb 02, anyone else?
To Touro students: Can you please give me some pointers on what to expect during the interview process? Is it open or closed file? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Closed file interviews

Study typical interview questions and use proper etiquette, study pharmacy and public health related topics, if you have community service and leadership roles you should emphasize this on the one on one interview. For the group interview, you will be expected to work in a team.

Don't be rude to the student ambassadors or secretaries, we're grading you.

for those who received interview invites, do you mind sharing your gpa/pcat?

How many interview sessions will touro give and how many people per session? Sparda can you help answer this?? thanks