Touro College of Pharmacy NY - Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yea thats pretty quik, i live border queens too...but the time i left for the interview was 7...rush hour.. and it was bumper to bumper...im assuming classes are at 9..so its gonna be the same story...i guess it depends on what times u leave..is it easy to find parking..im just debating on whether i should drive out there everyday or take the train..

Members don't see this ad.

Sparda what locations are rotations and when do they start for the incoming class??

yea thats pretty quik, i live border queens too...but the time i left for the interview was 7...rush hour.. and it was bumper to bumper...im assuming classes are at 9..so its gonna be the same story...i guess it depends on what times u leave..is it easy to find parking..im just debating on whether i should drive out there everyday or take the train..

For a 900 class, I leave at 8. The later I leave from my house, the less traffic there is on the road. It's pretty easy to find parking IMO.

Sparda what locations are rotations and when do they start for the incoming class??

Most of the rotations are within 10 miles of Touro, there are a couple in Upstate NY, one in Long Island, Bronx, New Jersey as well. Incoming class doesn't have to worry about this until January 2011.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a 900 class, I leave at 8. The later I leave from my house, the less traffic there is on the road. It's pretty easy to find parking IMO.

Most of the rotations are within 10 miles of Touro, there are a couple in Upstate NY, one in Long Island, Bronx, New Jersey as well. Incoming class doesn't have to worry about this until January 2011.

So your saying even if we commute by public transportation. .that a car is needed for rotations within first year?

So your saying even if we commute by public transportation. .that a car is needed for rotations within first year?

No, pretty much all of the sites are accessible by subway or bus other than the sites in Staten Island, Long Island, and Upstate NY. The majority of the sites are in Manhattan.

No, pretty much all of the sites are accessible by subway or bus other than the sites in Staten Island, Long Island, and Upstate NY. The majority of the sites are in Manhattan.

Do we get to chose locations

40 minutes is not too bad of a commute..seems faster than taking the train..what route did u take because i was definitely stuck in bumper to bumper traffic everywhere.....

what time did you go at? I don't remember exactly but I know I left between 7:30-8 and I took the cross island to the grand central parkway to the throggs neck to i-278 to fdr, to rfk bridge and its right off of there. sorry if it sounds confusing. but it really didnt take me much time. im wondering if taking the train is a better option- sparda what do you think?

yea i left between 7 and 730 and it took me that long...but im also debating whether its worth taking the train or just driving...and sparda do we get to choose the location for the rotations..

Do we get to chose locations

There is a lottery thing that they'll tell you about in your first semester. You basically prioritize your site preference and time preference in the system, and the system will generate location and time matches based on everyone's response.

what time did you go at? I don't remember exactly but I know I left between 7:30-8 and I took the cross island to the grand central parkway to the throggs neck to i-278 to fdr, to rfk bridge and its right off of there. sorry if it sounds confusing. but it really didnt take me much time. im wondering if taking the train is a better option- sparda what do you think?

Yeah, don't take the Throgs Neck Bridge. AVOID THE BRONX! It can turn into a traffic nightmare very easily since there aren't many lanes on those highways and no shoulders, so accidents can cause traffic disasters.

Continue on the Cross Island North to the Whitestone Expressway, take that South (678-South) and then take the Grand Central West to the RFK into Manhattan.

Now this is the thing, if you are planning on staying at Touro until late every day(7PM-11PM) take a car because the subways and LIRR become unreliable at night. If you are gonna leave as soon as class ends, just take mass transport.

sparda-
the latest class will end on long days will be 4 oclock right? how is going home at that hour? is it a nightmare? is it worth staying till 7, or is that also a bad time

sparda-
the latest class will end on long days will be 4 oclock right? how is going home at that hour? is it a nightmare? is it worth staying till 7, or is that also a bad time

Yeah, the longest day ends at 4PM, so driving on that day is a nightmare if you are gonna go straight home.

Yeah, the longest day ends at 4PM, so driving on that day is a nightmare if you are gonna go straight home.

Is it possible to maintain part time job lets say friday night and sat all day ??

Members don't see this ad :)
Have anyone tried doing their health packages. Some of the questions are like really private information like STDs, hepatitis n things like that. Why do they need these information and if u have some oddly weird disease are they going to kick us out of pharmacy school or something?? lil confusing about why they even bother asking about these things.

Have anyone tried doing their health packages. Some of the questions are like really private information like STDs, hepatitis n things like that. Why do they need these information and if u have some oddly weird disease are they going to kick us out of pharmacy school or something?? lil confusing about why they even bother asking about these things.

It's information that is needed for rotations, when you work at a hospital and whatnot.

any good areas to move to around touro? im thinking of moving from LI close to the school to avoid the long commute.

I am thinking of living somewhere in Harlem. Can anyone suggest areas to live or avoid?

Is anyone looking for a roommate?

When do we get intern license

Avoid 140 street and above, it can get "complicated" there...

anything below 140 is ok. The area by Columbia University is a good place to live, I believe its called morningside heights. But the nicer the area, the more expensive the rent. If money isn't a issue, live right by central park in the 60's then take the train, takes only 15mins from 59th street station. Basically you could live anywhere in Manhattan and could get to school in 30 minutes tops. You have the whole borough to choose from depends if you want to take public transportation.

Intern license is only given after you pass your first year (P1).

You guys will be given ambassadors soon. check your email!

Hi,

Do we have to buy book for every class? when can we get our book for P1? Where do we get it from?

Some of the books you need, some you don't..Most of the material is on blackboard and is easily accessible..Otherwise, you could always try Amazon, ebay, half.com, etc....

thank you so much Onehot....
Do you possibly know which books we need for p1? I just want to find out so i can order them ahead of time. Or is there way we can find out thru touro website about the books? Also, do you know when school start? date? thanks

I'm probably going to want to sell the books that are not important to me anymore. Only books I probably will need now are DiPiro, Koda Kimble, Goodman and Gilman, Foye's Med Chem, Pharmacokinetics. So if you see the P3s around when you're there, we might want to sell books.

Has anyone written a check for their second deposit? And if so, how long did it take for them to cash it?

Has anyone written a check for their second deposit? And if so, how long did it take for them to cash it?

yea it takes a long time.
SPARDA or ONEHOT: can either of you send me a copy of last years academic calendar? or possibly this upcoming year? or even semester?
Thanks

Also, does Touro help with apartment searching? If so does anyone know who I can talk to?

How does the financial aid application work? I have submitted the package quite a while ago but still havent heard back from them. When will we know the amount we can borrow from the government? and when do they actually disburse the money?

How does the financial aid application work? I have submitted the package quite a while ago but still havent heard back from them. When will we know the amount we can borrow from the government? and when do they actually disburse the money?

Actually spoke to Trevor Jackman today; who is in charge of financial aid. Dr. Garland Paterson just finalized cost of tuition and we are supposed to receive an email about fin aid tomorrow. If you have questions join the facebook group http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=364431067534&ref=ts

Does anyone know if the class of 2014 has been filled?

Also, does anyone have the contact info for Hilda Nuamah? I always hate to email the generic info@ addresses.

Does anyone know if the class of 2014 has been filled?

Also, does anyone have the contact info for Hilda Nuamah? I always hate to email the generic info@ addresses.

Nevermind, I found Hilda's contact info

Just a random question. Do you have to have a bachelors degree to get into Touro pharmacy?

I live off of the 145th subway stop. So do a lot of other Touro students. I pay 900 for a large room with a queen bed, drawers, large desk, entertainment center, bookshelf, my own large bathroom, and room to spare for the occassional krunked friend that needs to pass out. A good number of students attending the city college and columbia live in that area as well. I wouldn't worry so much about living uptown. Only makes you stronger...

hey, does anyone have any interview tips for Touro college? I just received an invite for an interview .... I read about a spontaneous activity that takes place during the on site interview; no idea what they're referring to...... maybe current students or applicants know? Any helpful hints as to what to expect?

Someone has been telling me that Touro College of Pharmacy favors Jewish student applicants. I'm aware that it is a Jewish-founded institution and any private institution favors whoever they want, but since I'm not Jewish I don't want to waste my time. How much of this do you think is true?

Someone has been telling me that Touro College of Pharmacy favors Jewish student applicants. I'm aware that it is a Jewish-founded institution and any private institution favors whoever they want, but since I'm not Jewish I don't want to waste my time. How much of this do you think is true?

Not true at all. Yes the school is founded upon Jewish values, or something like that, but not once is it asked in your supplemental or your interview. Hope this answers your question.

i wanted to know about there pre requisite does it matter if its taken at a community college
thanks