Touro College of Pharmacy NY - Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted :p! However i have offers for other schools which are fully accredited. Most probably will not be attending the school. Especially since I heard the rumor that they might not get fully accredited. It seems the administration is causing some issues with getting accredited. Good luck to all but I would not risk it going to a school especially when this kind of rumor is going around.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted :p! However i have offers for other schools which are fully accredited. Most probably will not be attending the school. Especially since I heard the rumor that they might not get fully accredited. It seems the administration is causing some issues with getting accredited. Good luck to all but I would not risk it going to a school especially when this kind of rumor is going around.

who did you hear this rumor from? anyone else hear about this rumor?

who did you hear this rumor from? anyone else hear about this rumor?

AACP- I know someone who works there and they told me touro is on probation for not sending in some paperwork in time. I'm only going by what I hear but its a word of caution for people who want to go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
AACP- I know someone who works there and they told me touro is on probation for not sending in some paperwork in time. I'm only going by what I hear but its a word of caution for people who want to go there.

why did you apply to this school then why did you go through the interview and why are you following this forum.
anyway touro already has a reputable school in california which is fully accredited . As for N.Y you have to start from somwhere
i'm sure there are hurdles you have to go through before an institution becomes full accredited. Touro seems to have an attractive program and as far as rumors goes I also have a friend who works for AACP and they heard nothing but great things about touro and how impressive there 2+2 is

GOOD LUCK ALL

put everything on the table when you make a decision because you can't go back.
I wish everybody the best of luck!!!

Probation status, especially on candidate schools but also on established programs, is a matter of public record. It is a huge negative PR, and in the past schools such as Xavier have sued the accreditation board (and won!) over the stigma and lost revenue related to the status. Typically the schools are given a time frame (no longer than 2 years) by which they must rectify the suggested issues before they are stripped of their status.

I do not see any indication that Touro NY has begun any type of probation status on the ACPE website. I understand that you mean well, but you may have inaccurate information. For example, Touro also has a CA campus, and also other campuses such as in Henderson Nevada campus (not Pharmacy-related) - how are you sure it is for the NY campus?

Also, back to my question earlier - anyone know the tuition for this year? or a projection of total cost for a frugal student living in NY?

Probation status, especially on candidate schools but also on established programs, is a matter of public record. It is a huge negative PR, and in the past schools such as Xavier have sued the accreditation board (and won!) over the stigma and lost revenue related to the status. Typically the schools are given a time frame (no longer than 2 years) by which they must rectify the suggested issues before they are stripped of their status.

I do not see any indication that Touro NY has begun any type of probation status on the ACPE website. I understand that you mean well, but you may have inaccurate information. For example, Touro also has a CA campus, and also other campuses such as in Henderson Nevada campus (not Pharmacy-related) - how are you sure it is for the NY campus?

Also, back to my question earlier - anyone know the tuition for this year? or a projection of total cost for a frugal student living in NY?

tutition isnt much higher from previous years. Is 18 k a semester
as for living. Living shouldn't be as bad. Search on craiglist for apartments is a good website you should make friends on this site maybe find roomies.
food isn't that expensive my friend lives on the dollar menu from mcdonalds .

in the end. this will be an investment for the future and the best one.

good luck

ok I did a rough estimation for you tran

monthly expense

food = 450
living= 800
bills (electricity , heat) = 250

working hard to earn a pham D degree= PRICELESS

hehe

it shouldn't be that bad just have a plan good luck!

Congrats everyone who got in! I'm sure you guys who choose to come will have a great professional experience at Touro.

I have not heard anything about a probation status. If Touro NY were to be on probation, it would be posted on the ACPE site, as you can see on the bottom that it is still in candidate. I highly doubt adminstration will allow us to be in such a position. The adminstration is very much on top of things and take the school's accreditation very seriously. I don't see any reason why we won't make it to full accreditation by 2012.

Detailed PharmD Accreditation History

Touro New York College of Pharmacy
230 West 125th Street
New York, NY 10027
Stuart Feldman, PhD
Dean
Tel: 646-981-4701
FAX: 212-678-1780
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web Site: www.touro.edu/pharmacy/

Review Period Review Type Board Action Status
2009-2010 Interim Affirmed Candidate
2009-2010 Interim
2008-2009 Comprehensive - Advancement to candidate Granted Candidate
2007-2008 Comprehensive - Precandidate status Granted Precandidate

Just for kicks; Albany was on probation.

Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
106 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208
Mehdi Boroujerdi, PhD
Dean
Tel: 518-445-7212
FAX: 518-445-7294
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web Site: www.acp.edu

Review Period Review Type Board Action Status
2010-2011 Comprehensive
2009-2010 Focused Affirmed Full
2009-2010 Interim
2008-2009 Interim Affirmed Full
2008-2009 Interim Affirmed Full
2007-2008 Focused Probation - ended Full
2007-2008 Interim Probation - given Full

Source: http://www.acpe-accredit.org/shared_info/programsSecure.asp

Last edited:
Hi peoples, I'm actually new to this site, and I also got accepted to Touro!!! =D I had a question on how do I go about finding a place to stay etc..I'm from California and moving to NY will be crazy for me so any information will help! Thanks!

Hi peoples, I'm actually new to this site, and I also got accepted to Touro!!! =D I had a question on how do I go about finding a place to stay etc..I'm from California and moving to NY will be crazy for me so any information will help! Thanks!
I'm also commuting and wondering the same thing.

I took some notes during the presentation when I was there for my interview on financial aid and tuition that I now cant seem to locate.

Dr. GP told us last year's tuition was 31K or so, and this year it will be going up due to normal inflation. Anyone here know what the cost is for this year?

And for students that are currently P1 or P2, can you give us a ballpark figure in how much you expect to be in debt with by the time you graduate? The financial aid portion of the website is still "under construction" and I dont know NY well enough to guesstimate room and board (though I understand it's high cost of living), meals, transportation, etc. Is it a pipe dream to think I can survive frugally on 20K a year if I were to live in NY with a roommate?

:confused:

She said it will b aroun $32K

I am also from Cali and was just wondering which neighborhoods were "safe" for people who do not know the area that well. Thanks :)

ACCEPTED!!! so exciting!! congrats new class of 2014!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):)
Class of 2014 here we come!!

Hard work and dedication pays off...
Congrats to all who got in

i was looking online at the curriculum. so do we spend the whole month of january just on the introductory practice experience? then start school in febuary? and then it says that we do "PHRM 506 IPE or PHRM 512 IPPE I (June - August)" what does that exactly mean since phrm 506 is during january? lastly, do we spend everyday of june - august completing phrm 512 or just certain days of the month?

i was looking online at the curriculum. so do we spend the whole month of january just on the introductory practice experience? then start school in febuary? and then it says that we do "PHRM 506 IPE or PHRM 512 IPPE I (June - August)" what does that exactly mean since phrm 506 is during january? lastly, do we spend everyday of june - august completing phrm 512 or just certain days of the month?

PHRM 506 can be done in January, or you can do it in the summer. PHRM 512 can be done in 1 of the 3 summer months. So you basically have a choice of, IPE in January and getting 2 months off in the summer, or not doing the IPE in January and getting 1 month off in the summer.

The winter break is already like 3 weeks long without having January off. (it usually starts like December 9th-14th).

PHRM 506 is the public health IPE and PHRM 512 is the community pharmacy IPE, you work Monday-Thursday 9AM-5PM X 4 weeks, and you meet at school on the 2nd and 4th Friday of the month from 9AM-1PM for reflections.

PHRM 506 can be done in January, or you can do it in the summer. PHRM 512 can be done in 1 of the 3 summer months. So you basically have a choice of, IPE in January and getting 2 months off in the summer, or not doing the IPE in January and getting 1 month off in the summer.

The winter break is already like 3 weeks long without having January off. (it usually starts like December 9th-14th).

PHRM 506 is the public health IPE and PHRM 512 is the community pharmacy IPE, you work Monday-Thursday 9AM-5PM X 4 weeks, and you meet at school on the 2nd and 4th Friday of the month from 9AM-1PM for reflections.

sparda- do we get the choice of when we could take it? which do you recommend?

sparda- do we get the choice of when we could take it? which do you recommend?

It's a lottery. You put your preferences into EValue (you'll learn more about this when you get here), and it picks the times and places for you based on your preferences.

I'd recommend doing the PHRM 506 in January and then doing the PHRM 512 in either June or August. 1 month summer vacation is just not enough, because my plans with 2 months off from school would have been to work full time at CVS as an intern for 1 month and get some serious cash, and then go traveling the world the next month.

It's a lottery. You put your preferences into EValue (you'll learn more about this when you get here), and it picks the times and places for you based on your preferences.

I'd recommend doing the PHRM 506 in January and then doing the PHRM 512 in either June or August. 1 month summer vacation is just not enough, because my plans with 2 months off from school would have been to work full time at CVS as an intern for 1 month and get some serious cash, and then go traveling the world the next month.

how much money could you make in 1 month though?

sparda, so if my preference is august, would i be able to do IPE in august? or does it just depend on if there are spots available for august?

and is there anywhere on the website that has course descriptions of the curriculum? or where can i find descriptions?

ok, now, and since we are accepted i have some questions :

1. some pharmacists i am working with say that new school do not prepare you good for naplex exam, do you guys feel professors there prepare you well.

2. are there students who fail during school, is it very stressful to be in touro, taking 21 credit a semester....!! how the exams are...mult-choice or essay or what !!

3. are we starting school in july or augest or september of 2010...cause i hear some people talking about rotations in july and summer and CPR classes and all of this ...please guys I WANT DETAILED ANSWER OK SPARDA LOL,, thank you

1. some pharmacists i am working with say that new school do not prepare you good for naplex exam, do you guys feel professors there prepare you well.

2. are there students who fail during school, is it very stressful to be in touro, taking 21 credit a semester....!! how the exams are...mult-choice or essay or what !!

3. are we starting school in july or augest or september of 2010...cause i hear some people talking about rotations in july and summer and CPR classes and all of this ...please guys I WANT DETAILED ANSWER OK SPARDA LOL,, thank you

#1 - IMO, new schools prepare you better for the NAPLEX than old schools. Besides, the NAPLEX is an extremely easy exam. The professors here are awesome, we stole them from LIU, St. Johns, Rutgers, etc.

#2 - It is very hard to fail out of Touro. If you get an F, you just have to do remediation over the summer. Other than that, just maintain a 2.0 GPA, unless you actually wanna aim for a 4.0. Exams are k-type multiple choice. My class started with 66 students, 1 of them transferred out to a pharmacy school on the west coast because of illness in the family, 1 left the program because the person didn't like pharmacy anymore, and 1 was moved into the Class of 2013 because of grades.

#3 - Orientation I believe is at the end of August, and CPR training is part of the orientation. This year, first day of classes was August 31 for P1s, and September 1st for P2s.

1. We have a collection of qualified teachers, some PharmD, some MD + PhD, some Phd, a PharmD JD (pharmacist and lawyer) and even a professor who is Dsc (higher than a PhD)...Many of the professors have dual professional degrees..The student to teacher ratio is probably around 10 student per professor...We probably have more faculty than we should, which is a good thing, makes them much more accessible..Our circculum is pretty rigorous at times so I wouldn't take it lightly..The exams are based on case studies, critical thinking involved, K type questions (A+B, B only, C only, all of the above) which makes me sick to the stomach at times but it does test to see if you know the material thoroughly.

Its easy to bash a school that is relatively new but I have learned more about therapeutics and pharmacy than someone who is in the same year at another school, that I'm sure of.

2. Unlike some other schools, Touro will give you opportunites to pass despite how hard some of the exams are. They do try to give you as much as material to study as they can. We dont' have a weeding out system like they do at other schools which is great. At other schools, they will kick you out if you get a F in a core course, this happened to one of the interns I work with. No fun at all.

3. I already answer this question a few posts back.

1. We have a collection of qualified teachers, some PharmD, some MD + PhD, some Phd, a PharmD JD (pharmacist and lawyer) and even a professor who is Dsc (higher than a PhD)...Many of the professors have dual professional degrees..The student to teacher ratio is probably around 10 student per professor...We probably have more faculty than we should, which is a good thing, makes them much more accessible..Our circculum is pretty rigorous at times so I wouldn't take it lightly..The exams are based on case studies, critical thinking involved, K type questions (A+B, B only, C only, all of the above) which makes me sick to the stomach at times but it does test to see if you know the material thoroughly.

Its easy to bash a school that is relatively new but I have learned more about therapeutics and pharmacy than someone who is in the same year at another school, that I'm sure of.

2. Unlike some other schools, Touro will give you opportunites to pass despite how hard some of the exams are. They do try to give you as much as material to study as they can. We dont' have a weeding out system like they do at other schools which is great. At other schools, they will kick you out if you get a F in a core course, this happened to one of the interns I work with. No fun at all.

3. I already answer this question a few posts back.

does your daily schedule lend to study time?? bc it sounds like you have to study a lot

does your daily schedule lend to study time?? bc it sounds like you have to study a lot

Fridays are exam day which leaves the weekend for leisure. Basically Monday-Thurs are all study days. We do have half days depending on your lab schedule, but be prepared to put in the hours. There will be exams that have 400 slides to review. Last semester we had 14 chapters on immunobiology on one test. So yeah, it can be very stressful but at least you have the weekends to recharge.

Fridays are exam day which leaves the weekend for leisure. Basically Monday-Thurs are all study days. We do have half days depending on your lab schedule, but be prepared to put in the hours. There will be exams that have 400 slides to review. Last semester we had 14 chapters on immunobiology on one test. So yeah, it can be very stressful but at least you have the weekends to recharge.

onehot can you tell me your specific schedule this year? (or semester)

onehot can you tell me your specific schedule this year? (or semester)

Here's my schedule for this semester.

Mondays
Pharmacogenomics/Pharmacogenetics/Drug Interactions - 9AM-10AM
Student Advising 10AM-11AM

Tuesdays
Pharmacy Practice II - 9AM-10AM
Therapeutics III - 10AM-12PM
Lunch - 12PM-1PM
Pharmacy Practice Lab - 1PM-4PM

Wednesdays
Global Health - 9AM-11AM
Pharmacy Practice II - 11AM-12PM

Thursdays
Therapeutics II - 10AM-12PM

Fridays
Exam Day

The reason why I don't have much on my schedule is because I'm only taking 1 elective as opposed to most people taking 2 electives, basically I couldn't attend the registration class from the American Red Cross for my Bioterrorism elective so I dropped it (that and I was hoping the Bioterrorism class would involve actually handling and learning how to use and how to counter-act the Bioterror agents), will just have to take an elective next year. The P1s have a bit more stuff on their schedules than the P2s.

Here's my schedule for this semester.

Mondays
Student Advising 10AM-11AM

Tuesdays
Pharmacy Practice II - 9AM-10AM
Therapeutics III - 10AM-12PM
Lunch - 12PM-1PM
Pharmacy Practice Lab - 1PM-4PM

Wednesdays
Global Health - 9AM-11AM
Pharmacy Practice II - 11AM-12PM

Thursdays
Therapeutics II - 10AM-12PM

Fridays
Exam Day

The reason why I don't have much on my schedule is because I'm only taking 1 elective as opposed to most people taking 2 electives, basically I couldn't attend the registration class from the American Red Cross for my Bioterrorism elective so I dropped it (that and I was hoping the Bioterrorism class would involve actually handling and learning how to use and how to counter-act the Bioterror agents), will just have to take an elective next year. The P1s have a bit more stuff on their schedules than the P2s.

That is the most amazing schedule ever!!!

wow the schedule looks nice, but when comparing touro's schedule with other schools, it looks like you guys are spending less time on campus. do u feel you guys are learning enough to be prepared for naplex and state exam?

wow the schedule looks nice, but when comparing touro's schedule with other schools, it looks like you guys are spending less time on campus. do u feel you guys are learning enough to be prepared for naplex and state exam?

Yeah definitely would be prepared. We have a few online sessions during the semester where you don't show up to class but you just have to review somethings at home, do an assessment, etc.

A lot of projects to work on as well.

2 days out of the week are full days. 9-4. The other days are basically half days. Fridays you are off unless you have an exam that day. Usually there is an exam every friday with exception to the first 2 weeks. There are a lot of holidays we get off so more leisure time than your normal school, again you will have projects and studying during this time.

I think you will be surprised how much material they go over in a short period of time. The material stacks up rather quickly. Like Sparda said, there are a lot of group oriented projects and also individual project to keep you busy. There is always something to do even though you are not in class.

Its not really 21 credits per semester, only 18...:rolleyes:
yes...only...18.....*sarcasm

the other 3 credits are your externships during the winter or summer months.

Hi everyone! I have also been accepted, but I am new to this forum. Anyway, I have a question. How many intern hours are to be completed before applying for the license to practice as a pharmacist?

I have no clue how moving from California to NY will work out. I still need information regarding housing/tuition/moving. Any suggestions?

does it usually take the school forever to respond to emails???

I have no clue how moving from California to NY will work out. I still need information regarding housing/tuition/moving. Any suggestions?

It's not that hard, many of us did it. First you'll need to find an apartment. Then, you pack up what you need in boxes and mail it to yourself and buy furniture. Voila, you're moved.

You apply for student loans to pay for tuition (~$32,000) and living expenses (up to another $32,000) if you're not paying out of pocket. Complete a Fafsa if you have not already done so. They will send you a financial aid packet.

It's not that hard, many of us did it. First you'll need to find an apartment. Then, you pack up what you need in boxes and mail it to yourself and buy furniture. Voila, you're moved.

You apply for student loans to pay for tuition (~$32,000) and living expenses (up to another $32,000) if you're not paying out of pocket. Complete a Fafsa if you have not already done so. They will send you a financial aid packet.

financial aid !!!....can we get financial aid even though i been taking financial aid for 4 years now. or you mean gov loans. and if i applied for fafasa alrady, what should i do inorder to start the loans process. do i wait till school starts, or i can talk to them before school starts or what is the deal guys

financial aid !!!....can we get financial aid even though i been taking financial aid for 4 years now. or you mean gov loans. and if i applied for fafasa alrady, what should i do inorder to start the loans process. do i wait till school starts, or i can talk to them before school starts or what is the deal guys

do they give any scholarships or financial aid? (not including loans?)
and what is the deal with the website being under construction. how are we supposed to get the ball rolling

Yes, but on the weekdays, I'm pretty much studying from the time I get out of class until 9-10PM.

Hello Sparda (or anyone else)!! Since exams are on fridays, is it safe to say that weekends will be free? i know u mentioned a lot of group assignments/projects, so in reality how much of the weekend do actually have to urself?

Hello Sparda (or anyone else)!! Since exams are on fridays, is it safe to say that weekends will be free? i know u mentioned a lot of group assignments/projects, so in reality how much of the weekend do actually have to urself?

There are no classes on the weekends. Depending on how you are, you can either study all weekend, work, party, etc.

i read online about the scandal touro college (not the pharmacy school) in new york went through about people paying for degrees and grades. do you guys think this type of scandal will have an affect on us when we apply for jobs/residencies when we graduate?

How long does it usually take before we receive the financial aid packet?

i read online about the scandal touro college (not the pharmacy school) in new york went through about people paying for degrees and grades. do you guys think this type of scandal will have an affect on us when we apply for jobs/residencies when we graduate?

No. Firstly, it wasn't in a medical profession. Secondly, it was not the school, it was certain people working at the school falsifying grades and diplomas.
I'm sure Touro isn't the first school to have had this happen, nor will be the last.

You will get the financial aid packet soon, be patient. It's really quick to fill out.

And when I say financial aid, I'm talking about government loans.

No. Firstly, it wasn't in a medical profession. Secondly, it was not the school, it was certain people working at the school falsifying grades and diplomas.
I'm sure Touro isn't the first school to have had this happen, nor will be the last.

You will get the financial aid packet soon, be patient. It's really quick to fill out.

And when I say financial aid, I'm talking about government loans.

so even FAFSA doesnt give any financial aid right? the only thing that is available are loans?

Can any of you give me a website where I can find an apartment near by school? What city is nearest to Harlem? And is anybody here going to Touro this year and looking for a roommate.

Can any of you give me a website where I can find an apartment near by school? What city is nearest to Harlem? And is anybody here going to Touro this year and looking for a roommate.

What do you mean by city nearest to harlem? Harlem is in Manhattan which is a borough in New York City...

Harlem/Washington Heights is the cheapest area of Manhattan to live. If you want to live in the Bronx or Brooklyn your commute time will be longer.

I suggest getting a no fee apt to save money.
Look on craigslist for info, be careful though a lot of the apartments are bait and switch you have to see it in person.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/apartments.cgi?SAB=mnh

Harlem is a neighborhood in Manhattan, which is a borough in NYC. A lot of students live in Manhattan, personally I'm not a fan of living in Manhattan since it's not car friendly.

I'd recommend living in Astoria, Queens on Steinway Street. Find an apartment there. A 15-30 minute bus ride from Astoria to Harlem. Not to mention, Astoria's nightlife is ****ing amazing.