Touro CA vs. Touro NV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishonthenet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping to get some feedback because I have to decide between Touro CA and NV by tomorrow!! Ahh! I'm stuck and would be so grateful for your advice. I really want to do residency in California and eventually practice here (CA native!). So here are my lists of pros and cons:

Touro CA
Pros:

- 44% of students matched into CA residencies last year
- proximity to Stanford, UC Davis, and UCSF for research opportunities and good rotation sites
- CA rotations
- 1 hour away from my parents
- access to underserved populations

Cons:
- Not in a great area (at all!) with high cost of living
- 7 students to 1 cadaver
- competition for rotations with students at Stanford, Davis, UCSF
- even though the students here have a high entering MCAT, their board scores are slightly below average
- didn't like the vibe there too much, plus I've been hearing weird rumors about the school lately

Touro NV:
Pros:

- 4 or 5 students to 1 cadaver
- very nice, safe area with low cost of living
- access to underserved populations
- no competition with other medical students
- liked the people and the vibe a lot

Cons:
- only approximately 20% of students got CA residencies last year
- limited research opportunities

Basically, I think my heart is in NV but my mind is saying CA is more practical, especially for my long-term goal of doing residency/practicing in CA. I'm a flexible person, but I want to make the right decision. Thank you so much for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to Nevada. Always trust the vibe. You'll be much happier during your schooling.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What did you ultimately decide? I am currently trying to decide between both of these schools too! I am a SoCal native so I would be closer to home if I went to Touro NV and they were a very friendly school, but I too am conflicted by Touro CA's high match rate to California residencies and research opportunities.

overall, SDN seems to feel more favorably of Touro-NV.

Reactions: 1 user
Where did you guys end up choosing? CA or NV?