TMDSAS 2007: Advise and Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
About two weeks ago, I was told Houston only had about 55 spots filled.
It was after or before they sent out the second round of accept-letters????
Did you also call the school???? I have called the school recently and they weren't really positive. I hope you're right and I should be wrong. Because Houston accepts upto 95 people that means 45 more spots are open. That gives me some hopeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Members don't see this ad.

I though Dr. P said that would be 82 or 84 not 95. I can't quite remember which, but he said it would stay that amount until the new builiding opens.

hey does anyone know what happened to the TMDSAS website??? It is down...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody going to the Pre-Dental Summit in San Antonio this weekend? For those that do not know, it is a summit hosted by San Antonio to help universities across the state develop and strengthen their pre-dental groups.
It is limited to two reps from each university (usually the president and vice-president of the pre-dental organization).

Houstons class size will be around 84. Once the new building is ready they will up it to 95 or so!

Yeah I am sure.

In case any of you had the same concerns I did about not hearing back from San Antonio after sending in your letter of intent, here is the email response I got from them:

Congratulations on your acceptance! We are pleased that you will be joining our new dental school class.

We have received your Statement of Intent. You can expect to hear from us in the spring when we send orientation information.

Meanwhile, since you applied through TMDSAS, send any address and phone number updates directly to them at [email protected].

We look forward to corresponding with you again in the near future.

Evelyn Chabrier
Assistant to the Registrar, Dental School Division

Does anyone know if Biochemistry can be used to fulfill part of the Biology pre-requisite for UTHSCSA? TMDSAS mentions it will for the medical school at San Antonio, but what about the dental school? Thanks for the help!

San Antonio all the way.

Orientation is July 16th. I'm pumped.

I noticed you were an IT major. Would you mind giving me your opinion as to whether a Dell or a Mac is better for the laptop at SA? Thanks.

this thread is huge and i just wanted to be a part of it, even though i am a CA resident and know that I probably won't be accepted as part of the crowd here :)

Does anyone know if Biochemistry can be used to fulfill part of the Biology pre-requisite for UTHSCSA? TMDSAS mentions it will for the medical school at San Antonio, but what about the dental school? Thanks for the help!

I never took any bio labs, bc i took so many biochem and chem labs, and they told me that unless i want to get rejected automatically, to take bio lab, bc biochem lab will not satisfy that. But u might want to check that one...

why do u worry now, aren't u already accepted????

Apparently I am short 3 hours in Biology even though I have 16 hours on my transcripts. A class I took at Texas Tech is equivalent to one I took at New Mexico State (thank you to my advisor) and apparently now I may have to take summer school before heading out to San Antonio. I finished Biochemistry lecture in the fall and am hoping that will take care of those 3 hours I'm missing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently I am short 3 hours in Biology even though I have 16 hours on my transcripts. A class I took at Texas Tech is equivalent to one I took at New Mexico State (thank you to my advisor) and apparently now I may have to take summer school before heading out to San Antonio. I finished Biochemistry lecture in the fall and am hoping that will take care of those 3 hours I'm missing.

This is from the TMDSAS website:
BIOLOGY

14 semester hours (12 semester hours of lecture & 2 semester hours of formal lab) or 21 quarter hours (18 quarter lecture hours & 3 quarter lab hours) of Biology are required. The coursework must be applicable toward a science degree.

Baylor College of Dentistry requires only 8 semester hours of Biology including a lab or 12 quarter hours including a lab.

Includes all Biology courses applied toward Baccalaureate degree in traditional science fields, such as General Biology, Zoology, Botany, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Ecology, Immunology, Parasitology, Ornithology, Anatomy & Physiology, Entomology, Pathophysiology, Marine Biology and Herpetology.

One semester of Biochemistry will be accepted toward fulfilling the 14 semester hour requirement at the UT Dental Branch at Houston.

The UT Medical School at Houston will accept Biochemistry taught in either the Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry Department to satisfy the 14 hour Biology requirement.

Beginning with the entering class of 2007 at UT Medical School at San Antonio, 3 of the 14 hours of required Biology coursework MUST BE Biochemistry (taught in either a biology or chemistry department).

Courses for non-science majors or for health career majors (Nursing, Pharmacy or Allied Health Sciences) ARE NOT ACCEPTED.

Actually, a class at Texas Tech is equivalent to an entire degree at NMSU......just kidding. My wife has a degree from NMSU and she is doing very well for herself.

Hahaha, yeah, well you know sometimes I believe it myself.

I received this email from Houston today:

"Well the class is close to being filled. We do expect to send a few
more acceptance letters out, but most probably only a few at a time till
the class is filled. Once the class is filled, the committee will
determine alternates and finally by late May 2007, all non-acceptance
letters will be mailed."

yah.. i got the same e-mail.

I will see you all in 2008 application cycle ;)

Do they send out that email voluntarily or did yall email them first?

This is from the TMDSAS website:
BIOLOGY

14 semester hours (12 semester hours of lecture & 2 semester hours of formal lab) or 21 quarter hours (18 quarter lecture hours & 3 quarter lab hours) of Biology are required. The coursework must be applicable toward a science degree.

Baylor College of Dentistry requires only 8 semester hours of Biology including a lab or 12 quarter hours including a lab.

Includes all Biology courses applied toward Baccalaureate degree in traditional science fields, such as General Biology, Zoology, Botany, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Ecology, Immunology, Parasitology, Ornithology, Anatomy & Physiology, Entomology, Pathophysiology, Marine Biology and Herpetology.

One semester of Biochemistry will be accepted toward fulfilling the 14 semester hour requirement at the UT Dental Branch at Houston.

The UT Medical School at Houston will accept Biochemistry taught in either the Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry Department to satisfy the 14 hour Biology requirement.

Beginning with the entering class of 2007 at UT Medical School at San Antonio, 3 of the 14 hours of required Biology coursework MUST BE Biochemistry (taught in either a biology or chemistry department).

Courses for non-science majors or for health career majors (Nursing, Pharmacy or Allied Health Sciences) ARE NOT ACCEPTED.

do you have to finish all bio classes/prereqs before you apply? before tmdsas sends out the application?
-ld

do you have to finish all bio classes/prereqs before you apply? before tmdsas sends out the application?
-ld

It's helpful, I'm sure, but I applied to Houston without biochem, took it in the fall and my acceptance letter had it listed as a course I needed to take before matriculation, so had I accepted them, I would have just sent my new transcript and everything would be ok. The more you have the better. At least be able to say in your interview that you are "taking that course at the moment". Cuz they'll ask :) TMDSAS will let you list courses you plan on taking so the schools will know if you'll have them or not (assuming you get an acceptable grade in the courses :))

Hey guyss none of that yet!!!! Give it another month and then make such faces, they still haven't made an alternate list!!! 10 people from Baylor's alternate list got accepted to school last year.

Hey guyss none of that yet!!!! Give it another month and then make such faces, they still haven't made an alternate list!!! 10 people from Baylor's alternate list got accepted to school last year.

hahah I love your optimism!!!!! Alternate list is created in May..besides, no one from the alternate list made it to Houston, San Antonio and Baylor maybe, but not Houston. None that I heard of...

Hey CSI, I just informed UT Houston this afternoon that I was withdrawing my application, so one more spot open. Good luck!

Thank you Elliot!! Although I doubt they will give it to me!!! hahah.. u should say hey I know this CSI dentist that u should sent the letter to instead of me!!! ;)

I was in SA this past week, and I drove by the school, it is a nice campus... and their forensic odontology facility is impressive.... maybe one day I will go there to specialize... and do some dental csi... :D

From an e-mail i received from Baylor, it looks like they will be making the alternate list by march....but like others said, who knows how many will eventually be accepted.

So what happens if you submit your application to TMDSAS for the 2008 cycle and then find out you're accepted via a wait list? Can you get a refund/withdraw the application?

From an e-mail i received from Baylor, it looks like they will be making the alternate list by march....but like others said, who knows how many will eventually be accepted.

So what happens if you submit your application to TMDSAS for the 2008 cycle and then find out you're accepted via a wait list? Can you get a refund/withdraw the application?

Come on!!! Its only 75 bucks. Not to be mean, but what does it matter. And yes you can withdraw your application.

Hey CSIDentist, had I known your name I would have put in a word for you during me interview. Honestly...during the interview, we came across the subject about how the number of qualified applicants have risen dramatically and many people are passionate about going to dental school...and CSIDentist was the name that kept ringing in my head.

Hey CSIDentist, had I known your name I would have put in a word for you during me interview. Honestly...during the interview, we came across the subject about how the number of qualified applicants have risen dramatically and many people are passionate about going to dental school...and CSIDentist was the name that kept ringing in my head.

May I ask who interviewed you at houston?

I noticed you were an IT major. Would you mind giving me your opinion as to whether a Dell or a Mac is better for the laptop at SA? Thanks.

I'm not really into that type of stuff.

The biggest IT dorks that I meet tend to prefer Macs, but I'm sitting here typing on a Dell laptop because that is what I'm used to. I'll probably choose the Dell when I go to school too.

awww u are sweet!!! :D It's the thought that counts!

I'm not really into that type of stuff.

The biggest IT dorks that I meet tend to prefer Macs, but I'm sitting here typing on a Dell laptop because that is what I'm used to. I'll probably choose the Dell when I go to school too.

Thanks for the input. I have always used PC and will probably get the Dell. I just thought I was missing out on something by not jumping onto the Mac bandwagon.

You are missing something. I had PC's for years and switched a year ago to a Mac Powerbook. Seriously, I wil never consider switching back. What Vista is trying to be is what Mac's OS has been for years. Luckily, without the drawbacks that people are experiencing with Vista.
I'm headed to SA and am absolutely excited about my new Mac laptop. If you have a chance, before making a decision, go to an Apple store and try one out for a few hours. Talk to the staff about why people switch...no viruses or spyware for Macs (tell me that isn't HUGE), OS, ease of use, etc. Not to mention that they just look cool. I could tell you why I switched, but you should find out for yourself what you prefer.
In the real world when people compare the two systems, cost is often an issue. You can get more bang for your buck with a PC. Most times Macs don't even come close to competing in the price department. But, going to SA, either system is the same cost to us. So, why not compare the systems purely on use. There is a small adjustment period to use a Mac since it is layed out differently, but after a week or so I'm sure it will be as familiar as your old PC.

I am trying to decide on whether or not to switch from PC to Mac. PC is what I am used to but I heard you can run windows on Mac now... is this true???

I am trying to decide on whether or not to switch from PC to Mac. PC is what I am used to but I heard you can run windows on Mac now... is this true???

Very True. Any of the new Macs with Intel Processors, can run windows.

You are missing something. I had PC's for years and switched a year ago to a Mac Powerbook. Seriously, I wil never consider switching back. What Vista is trying to be is what Mac's OS has been for years. Luckily, without the drawbacks that people are experiencing with Vista.
I'm headed to SA and am absolutely excited about my new Mac laptop. If you have a chance, before making a decision, go to an Apple store and try one out for a few hours. Talk to the staff about why people switch...no viruses or spyware for Macs (tell me that isn't HUGE), OS, ease of use, etc. Not to mention that they just look cool. I could tell you why I switched, but you should find out for yourself what you prefer.
In the real world when people compare the two systems, cost is often an issue. You can get more bang for your buck with a PC. Most times Macs don't even come close to competing in the price department. But, going to SA, either system is the same cost to us. So, why not compare the systems purely on use. There is a small adjustment period to use a Mac since it is layed out differently, but after a week or so I'm sure it will be as familiar as your old PC.

Dang, I'm going to have to check out some of these Mac laptops before making my decision.

Any one who got accepted to UT Houston, I want to know if you all have got any thing else beside the vaccination form. I do not know if I am suppose to get any thing else or not?

Nothing else yet.

I just got a MacBook (the black one), 2GB RAM and large hard drive, with dual processors (Intel). Smooooooooooofe.......it really is the coolest thing since sliced bread. I hightly recommend it. :cool:

I went with a Lenovo tablet. I just ordered it and can't wait for it to get here. I played with the Macs and didn't see any reason for it to cost so much more especially since there is not a performance (speed) increase.

I'll throw my hat in the ring recommending the MacBook. I've used Macs personally for years, but supported both Macs and PCs in my work. The Macs definitely seem to have less problems on both the hardware and software sides. And yes, it is true that Macs can run Windows just as well as any other PC these days. Actually, with the right software you can even run Windows programs right inside your Mac environment. Add to that the fact that UTHSCSA has been Mac-only until the last couple of years and the choice seems pretty clear to me.

For what it's worth, I got an email about summer research at Houston and it was sent to 70 people. If that is the class, then there are 14 spots open.

I went with a Lenovo tablet. I just ordered it and can't wait for it to get here. I played with the Macs and didn't see any reason for it to cost so much more especially since there is not a performance (speed) increase.

I am with Ex_EE. I spent time tinkering with the Mac. They are nice visually but that is about it. I have researched Vista and its problems, but in my opinion the problems are minor and subject to overreaction. XP has been rock solid for me and Vista will be the same as the updates come through. There is no compelling reason for me to switch from PC at this point in time.

I just started getting my shots today.

I got the first round of Hep A (not required) and Hep B. I'm also getting Meningitis (not required).

After reviewing my immunization records it looks like I'll need the Varicella shots too. The doctor's office didn't want to mess with it until they saw my records which I didn't have at the time.

It looks like I won't have all the shots done in time since I started so late but I'm sure I'll be fine.