TMDSAS 2007: Advise and Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any sugestion about this upcoming summer research opportunity?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry too much about not having all of the Hep B series. Dr. Thomas made it sound like you needed at least the first two by the time you matriculate with the promise of taking the third.

Last month I talked to Dr. Pierpont about collecting teeth. I had read about this here on SDN but was not sure if it applied to Texas schools. Dr. P said yes, we do need to collect teeth. He also told me that there were containers sold so the teeth can be preserved.

Does San Antonio require tooth collecting? Does anybody know how many teeth are needed (all 32?, 16?, 8????)? Where can you purchase the preservation containers?

I am not going to Houston, but this is a heads up to those who are.

Hi ya! Wow...this thread grew so much! Is it me or...WE ARE THE BIGGEST PREDENTAL THREAD!?!?!? YEAH TEXAS SIZE IT!!!!

I have also used PC all my life but the Mac is looking good since it can run windows and stuff...however... when u run windows OS on Mac...do u use the 2 button mouse and is the laptop virus free when running the window os?

next..if u run a window software instead...how can u use a mac mouse for the right click stuff? Thanks whoever ans this :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about the mouse thing... but I went to the Mac store to check out the laptops and the guy told you would still have to run anti-virus software when using Windows. I think I'm leaning towards the Mac, but I want to check out the two models we have to choose from and play around with them in the stores.

Hi ya! Wow...this thread grew so much! Is it me or...WE ARE THE BIGGEST PREDENTAL THREAD!?!?!? YEAH TEXAS SIZE IT!!!!

I have also used PC all my life but the Mac is looking good since it can run windows and stuff...however... when u run windows OS on Mac...do u use the 2 button mouse and is the laptop virus free when running the window os?

next..if u run a window software instead...how can u use a mac mouse for the right click stuff? Thanks whoever ans this :)

As you know, there is only one button below the mouse pad on mac laptops. To right click you have to hold do the apple key, then press the mouse button.

interesting... thanks yall! Gonna look up the Dell and Mac powerbook :cool:

As you know, there is only one button below the mouse pad on mac laptops. To right click you have to hold do the apple key, then press the mouse button.

BTW, Right Click is the "ctrl" button, not the Apple button (for those trying it...). I have a Powerbook 12inch, and I LOVE it! I've had a PC forever, and I still have it, but it's almost obsolete since I have the mac. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

U can just buy a whole set of human teeth at http://www.boneclones.com/ko-164-set.htm... i got to check it out in person and they are exact replica of human teeth.... so why collect gross human teeth that most likely were extracted bc they had a cavity or filling already, when you can have a pretty set of teeth in a nice setting.... it is i think $300 bucks but if u need teeth then it is worth it.

Last month I talked to Dr. Pierpont about collecting teeth. I had read about this here on SDN but was not sure if it applied to Texas schools. Dr. P said yes, we do need to collect teeth. He also told me that there were containers sold so the teeth can be preserved.

Does San Antonio require tooth collecting? Does anybody know how many teeth are needed (all 32?, 16?, 8????)? Where can you purchase the preservation containers?

I am not going to Houston, but this is a heads up to those who are.

Baylor requires 60(!!!) teeth...I wonder if that's because it's so hard to find good specimens intact? I'd just as soon buy them....

The right-click is a non-issue on newer macs, and you don't have to use any keyboard combos. Although the macs only have one physical button, if you have two fingers on the track pad when you click the button, it is interpreted as a right-click. This works in Mac OS X and in Windows. It might not sound as good as a physical button, but you get the hang of it quickly and it becomes second nature.

If anyone is interested, there is a similar feature on the newer Macs for scrolling as well. If you put two fingers on the trackpad and drag, you can scroll vertically or horizontally (or even diagonally) in whatever window you are in.

Hey, I'm applying for the 2008 cycle and I am trying to get my LORs ready. I have an upper level chem teacher, my independent study teacher (oral surgeon) and the dentist I shadowed with last summer. These letters will be attached in a composite letter from the health professions advisory office at my school.

I think I need one more academic letter, but I'm not sure if I should get one from my O. Chem teacher who basically just knows my name and that I'm a good student, or a letter from my Spanish teacher who knows me pretty well and knows my intentions of starting a dental clinic for Latino patients. I am not sure if the TX schools are strict about needing 2 letters from science professors, or if 1 from science, and HPAO composite letter will satisfy the requirement.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Richard

IMO, I'd stick with the Spanish prof. Personal is way better, especially if they know your goals. Of course, my HPO required 3 profs, so I had 2 science anyway. If in doubt, ask your school! Whatever your school requires will satisfy TMDSAS. I also think you can submit a letter separate from your composite letter from a dentist to satisfy Baylor's requirement. You can include it with the composite if you like, but I think it would be better separate.

I only had one from a science prof. I probably would have had more but I had been working for years since graduating so I picked up a couple of letters from employers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! I'm excited to start this process, and I appreciate the help for LORs. I'm going to San Antonio this friday to take a tour and have lunch with Dean Thomas. I'm just applying to the 3 TX schools, but I think I have a good chance of getting in at least one of them.

I think I'm going to go with the Spanish prof after all. :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm excited to start this process, and I appreciate the help for LORs. I'm going to San Antonio this friday to take a tour and have lunch with Dean Thomas. I'm just applying to the 3 TX schools, but I think I have a good chance of getting in at least one of them.

I think I'm going to go with the Spanish prof after all. :)

How was your meeting with Dr. Thomas? Did you find out anything worth sharing?

How was your meeting with Dr. Thomas? Did you find out anything worth sharing?

Well, I asked her about the letters of reccomendation and she said they weren't very strict on having 2 science professors; they just need at least 1 academic. The other letter can come from a person you did research with or from a dentist. She said it's best to have 2 academic letters. Also, I asked her about the patient load, and she answered it in a roundabout way... she said they don't really have quotas - i.e. 50 crowns, 20 extractions etc. she said they pass you off based on competency. If you can do a crown perfectly after 10 tries, you're done. It sounded good to me! The sim lab will be done for classes in July, and the 3rd and 4th year clinics were very nice. Overall, it was a good experience.

Aggie-teacher, your mail box is full...but just wanted to say thanks :)

I got a packet from San Antonio last night.

They already set us up with e-mail accounts. I had 9 junk e-mails already in my in-box.

Isn't that nice. You have to love that they distribute your email.

I got a packet from San Antonio last night.

They already set us up with e-mail accounts. I had 9 junk e-mails already in my in-box.

How did you get yours last night (Easter Sunday)? Are they not sending it through USPS? I still have not received mine.

Any update from houston?
After vaccination form, I have not recieved anything else.
I wonder is it normal or am I missing something?:confused: :confused:

How did you get yours last night (Easter Sunday)? Are they not sending it through USPS? I still have not received mine.

I checked the mail on Sunday.

I don't think I had checked since Wednesday evening so it could have arrived on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.

Just to keep this thread alive, it would be a shame if it died off, has anyone heard anything from Houston lately?

Just to keep this thread alive, it would be a shame if it died off, has anyone heard anything from Houston lately?

Nothing yet. Maybe after they receive the immunization records / transcripts for this semester?

San Antonio has pretty much sent us everything we need (that I know of) before orientation.

I checked my mail yesterday and I had a scholarship letter from them. I guess they gave me the scholarship of someone that turned them down.

San Antonio has pretty much sent us everything we need (that I know of) before orientation.

I checked my mail yesterday and I had a scholarship letter from them. I guess they gave me the scholarship of someone that turned them down.

I received a letter for a scholarship as well. Is this a new scholarship? I simply thought it was an official letter for the scholarship I won back in December. I checked out my financial aid profile online and did not see any changes. If it is a new scholarship, that's great and I'll take it, but I just do not think it is.

I received a letter for a scholarship as well. Is this a new scholarship? I simply thought it was an official letter for the scholarship I won back in December. I checked out my financial aid profile online and did not see any changes. If it is a new scholarship, that's great and I'll take it, but I just do not think it is.

I didn't get any scholarship offers from them in December. It was also just added to my online financial aid offer letter.

My paper offer letter that I received earlier this week didn't even have this scholarship on it.

Hey guys, I just got a call today from Janet at Baylor College of Dentistry offering me a spot for class of 2011! So i guess Baylor is actually accepting people off of a Alternate List still.

Hey guys, I just got a call today from Janet at Baylor College of Dentistry offering me a spot for class of 2011! So i guess Baylor is actually accepting people off of a Alternate List still.

Allsome!

Are you going to the reception thing tonight at Reed Arena?

I'm going to go just to see if I'll meet any aggie future classmates there.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I BET YOU ARE EXTREMELY EXCITED!!!

Yeah, it's almost surreal.

I pretty much believed that I wasn't getting in and prepared myself for reapplication. I got all my letters from the best people I could think of and wrote and even better Personal Statement and paid to retake the DAT... but at least now I don't have to worry about any of that at all!

Yeah, it's almost surreal.

I pretty much believed that I wasn't getting in and prepared myself for reapplication. I got all my letters from the best people I could think of and wrote and even better Personal Statement and paid to retake the DAT... but at least now I don't have to worry about any of that at all!

Congrats!!!! I know Baylor is a fine institution. A rock solid education.

I guess the wait list is finally seeing some movement. I was beginning to wonder if enough people were going to drop Baylor for another school after they overshot their class. This should encourage everyone to not lose hope.

The TMDSAS website says that one letter of recommendation should be sent from a pre-health admissions committee. I was wondering if sending additional letters would be a good idea. I read that TMDSAS does not encourage additional letters. Can anyone explain?

TMDSAS is trying to save themselves the extra processing time involved with additional letters. I believe the only exception is the letter from a dentist as required by Baylor.

Just got done filling out TMDSAS.. yet again.........

They changed some rules from last year, like transcript matching form, and those letters... they are just trying to be like AADSAS.. just don't understand why not just use AADSAS instead.......... TX has to be special and different.

So yes letter from HPO plust one from a dentist for Baylor only..

I waited untill midnight last night so I can start filling it out ASAP........ i really hate this application stuff!!

Just got done filling out TMDSAS.. yet again.........

They changed some rules from last year, like transcript matching form, and those letters... they are just trying to be like AADSAS.. just don't understand why not just use AADSAS instead.......... TX has to be special and different.

So yes letter from HPO plust one from a dentist for Baylor only..

I waited untill midnight last night so I can start filling it out ASAP........ i really hate this application stuff!!

Good luck.

I don't remember what you said that your DAT scores were but I'm sure that you'll want to improve it for this next cycle. I recommend going old school and breaking out your chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology textbooks. Read them and with the chem and o-chem books make sure that you understand and can do the problems in the examples scattered throughout the text. It takes a ton of time to go through a textbook but you can skim through the pages of the chapters where you feel that you already have a good grasp on.

I was scoring in the 14 range on Bio practice tests and then scored a 21 on the real test after going back and reading the book. Kaplan blue book just doesn't cover it well enough, IMO.

I also took my Gen. Chem. scores from the 15/16 range to a 21 on the real test after going back to my textbook.

I ran out of time and never went back to my O-chem textbook (didn't even get to open it) and ended up only scoring a 17 on it even though O-chem was my strongest subject of the three (which is why I studied it last and ran out of time) going into the DAT.

Hey guys,
You need REAL human teeth that have been preserved in a 10% bleach/water solution for most dental schools. Try to collect as many as you possibly can (don't stop at 60!), especially non-third-molars. Place jars at oral surgeons' offices and periodontists' offices. You will need these MOST IMPORTANTLY for endo -- for practicing root canals, and for taking your boards. Yes, boards will seem far far into the future, but you'll need as many teeth as you can get! It can be really challenging to find teeth with the perfect canals to do endo on (you mount the teeth in an arch, and actually perform root canals on the teeth, for those who aren't sure what I'm talking about!), and the replicas of human teeth won't work. I know of people who have radiographed over 200 teeth, just to find one or two that work!
The teeth you should set aside for the future are ones with mostly straight roots, minimal decay and restorations; usually, they're teeth that were extracted due to periodontal disease, and/or in preparation for dentures. Central incisors, lower and upper first and second molars are ideal. Two-rooted premolars are also okay. Don't throw away any of the others you get; just realize the above-mentioned teeth could be extraordinarily valuable to you sooner than you think.
PM me if you have any questions!

U can just buy a whole set of human teeth at http://www.boneclones.com/ko-164-set.htm... i got to check it out in person and they are exact replica of human teeth.... so why collect gross human teeth that most likely were extracted bc they had a cavity or filling already, when you can have a pretty set of teeth in a nice setting.... it is i think $300 bucks but if u need teeth then it is worth it.

Thank you,

ahh yes DAT... working on that one.. i scored 19 last year.. I am going to shoot for somethin higher if possible.... and yeah.. Kaplan is good but not enough.. i've been reading other stuff too.... if all fails I can go teach highschool science after all this studying :D

Good luck.

I don't remember what you said that your DAT scores were but I'm sure that you'll want to improve it for this next cycle. I recommend going old school and breaking out your chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology textbooks. Read them and with the chem and o-chem books make sure that you understand and can do the problems in the examples scattered throughout the text. It takes a ton of time to go through a textbook but you can skim through the pages of the chapters where you feel that you already have a good grasp on.

I was scoring in the 14 range on Bio practice tests and then scored a 21 on the real test after going back and reading the book. Kaplan blue book just doesn't cover it well enough, IMO.

I also took my Gen. Chem. scores from the 15/16 range to a 21 on the real test after going back to my textbook.

I ran out of time and never went back to my O-chem textbook (didn't even get to open it) and ended up only scoring a 17 on it even though O-chem was my strongest subject of the three (which is why I studied it last and ran out of time) going into the DAT.

I really need some help with application to dental school from someone who is a dental student or is about to start dental school this fall. Can any dental student help? Please let me know if I can PM. Thanks.

I find it hard to believe that we've run out of things to talk about. Don't let this thread die.

So, have the Texas schools officialy sent out rejection/wait list letters?

My friend got an official rejection from Baylor last week.

let me know what specifice questions you have, maybe I can help you.
take care

How much are you gonna borrow for the first year?
I am a first-time borrower. Anybody has any tips for the process?

How much are you gonna borrow for the first year?
I am a first-time borrower. Anybody has any tips for the process?

I am taking out the max (40,000+). This is to make sure I have plenty of cash to cover my transition to school. Any extra will be put back. Every other year I will borrow less.

I have been told often to borrow only what you need. The less you borrow, the less you owe in four years. Also, shop the lenders and find out which ones offer good deals on student loans. I believe Wachovia offers a reduced interest rate for those who make on time montly payments. Of course, verify this before you sign up.

Hi guys,

I applied last June, and I just got an acceptance to Houston this past Friday! I was already making plans to reapply and take out-of-state interviews. It looks as though I'll be moving in July. I would love to chat with anyone else who got into Houston about good places to live, etc. Also, if anyone wants to talk shop about financial aide, then I'd appreciate it greatly!! Just hit me up on here, and I'll send you my phone number/email address. Can't wait to meet y'all!

--Pam

Congratulations on your acceptance!!!

So have you guys gotten packets from schools yet? I'm getting really antsy as I've seen that some schools outside Texas have sent out award letters for financial aid. Any word for you guys?

So have you guys gotten packets from schools yet? I'm getting really antsy as I've seen that some schools outside Texas have sent out award letters for financial aid. Any word for you guys?

San Antonio gave me mine online almost a month ago. Then a week later they added a scholarship... probably the one that you didn't take.