TMDSAS 2007: Advise and Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
San Antonio gave me mine online almost a month ago. Then a week later they added a scholarship... probably the one that you didn't take.

Congrats on the scholarship! I think Baylor is sllloooowwww.......I heard it would be May when they sent it out, but come on!;)

Members don't see this ad.

Houston told me in an email they hoped to have them out by June 1. So I think Houston wins the award for being the slowest. As far as I know they haven't issued any scholarships yet as well.

Actually, I received a financial aid package from Houston last week. They offered me Federal Stafford Loan. They also attached information about the Health Professions Loan. Isn't it that if we are offered the Federal Stafford Loan, we don't need to look for other lenders? I'm confused :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I received a financial aid package from Houston last week. They offered me Federal Stafford Loan. They also attached information about the Health Professions Loan. Isn't it that if we are offered the Federal Stafford Loan, we don't need to look for other lenders? I'm confused :confused:

If you have no other aid, you can borrow up to the cost of attendance. The cost of attendance (it includes living expenses, etc.) is probably over $40,000. Stafford loans are capped at $38,500. If for some reason you want to borrow the maximum amount, you will need to get a second type of loan to go over the $38,500 Stafford loan cap.

Another guy I know got a rejection letter from Houston Tuesday. I guess the 2007 cycle is coming to a close. Has San Antonio sent rejection letters out to Texas residents yet?

I received a letter for a scholarship as well. Is this a new scholarship? I simply thought it was an official letter for the scholarship I won back in December. I checked out my financial aid profile online and did not see any changes. If it is a new scholarship, that's great and I'll take it, but I just do not think it is.

Where do you find your online financial aid profile? I received an offer of financial aid in the mail, but I don't know how to check my financial aid profile on the web.

Log in to your uthscsa web portal. Click on HSC Business Applications. Click on Student Administration. Click on SA Self Service, then Learner Services, then Finances, then View My Financial Aid.

Ahh...thanks toothfairy. I had looked through the "Personal Portfolio" section there, but didn't think to look under "Learner Services". Seems kind of convoluted to me, but with your help I found it!

Procrastinate, sorry I did not get back to you on your question. I have been away for a while. Thanks toothfairy for picking up the slack.

I had some questions about the scrub form we were sent from SA. Are these quality scrubs? Fifteen dollars seems cheap and I do not necessarily want to "get what I pay for" and buy new ones every 6 months. Do most students in SA wear scrubs all day everyday or just to the labs? I need to know if I should get 3, 5 or more sets. Furthermore, are black scrubs off limits at SA because I seem to recall that they were?

A lot of questions here, but I thank you for your help.

I just wanted to start a thread here for the Texans applying for dental school fall 2007. Main goal of this thread is to share advices and status on application/interview/acceptance to see how other fellow Texans are doing in order to see where you stand. Well, let the game begin till we all get accepted near Christmas! ;)

I heard it is really important to send in the TMDSAS as soon as possible so I submitted either May 31 near midnight or June 1 morning lol. On 6/2/2006 TMDSAS got my $$, Certificate page, photos, and HPAC document but don’t know why it just shows my dentist’s LOR without my 3 other professors. They got my CCCCD transcript 6/5/2006 and my UTD transcript 6/9/2006. Don’t know why they haven’t receive my DAT score (aren’t they suppose to get it since I check all 3 Texas school to receive it when I was applying to take the DAT?).

All in all, am I considered early? Did I meet the first round application deadline (whenever that is)? Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks

what's Certificate page? is it a part of the TMDSAS? i'm not applying anytime soon... i'm just curious :">

thankss :D

I'm from the Dallas area, so Baylor is tempting, but hey, let's see where I get in, right? I still lack two letters, so I haven't sent those in yet...but that's ok. I need to send in my secondary application for Baylor, too. Just sent in my AADSAS for Oklahoma and Kentucky just for kicks. I'd just as soon apply to only the Texas schools, but my husband insisted. :)

what's secondary application? :\.. only Baylor requires it right? does everybody who applies to Baylor need to have a secondary app?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats the health profession advising center at my university. They help me gather up my rec letters and resume and have the dean write me a cover letter. Just something i heard Baylor likes. :cool:

and they have a staff/faculty committee who looks at your folder of all the good stuff and then rate you as a "highly recommended, recommended, not recommended" applicant, right?

what should i do so that the HPAC people could write me a decent LOR? is it kind of hard to get to know them? i don't know what i should do... cauz what i've heard is that the dental schools require (or recommend) that applicants get a LOR from the HPAC... and i don't personally know anybody in HPAC at my school either... this application process already looks so tough :oops:

Procrastinate, sorry I did not get back to you on your question. I have been away for a while. Thanks toothfairy for picking up the slack.

I had some questions about the scrub form we were sent from SA. Are these quality scrubs? Fifteen dollars seems cheap and I do not necessarily want to "get what I pay for" and buy new ones every 6 months. Do most students in SA wear scrubs all day everyday or just to the labs? I need to know if I should get 3, 5 or more sets. Furthermore, are black scrubs off limits at SA because I seem to recall that they were?

A lot of questions here, but I thank you for your help.

I visited SA during a normal school day and sat in on some classes. It seemed like the DS1 and DS2s wore an even mix of scrubs and everyday clothes (maybe it was 2 scrubs to 1 normal clothes). Maybe it depends on if you have some sort of lab, or if you are assisting in the clinic. I would bet that the $15 scrubs are cheaper, but they would be a great buy for Gross Lab. Apparently, you should wear the same scrubs to gross lab every time, and after the lab is over you will want to thrown away whatever scrubs you wore. I've heard that you can't get the formaldehyde (or whatever chemical they are using not) smell out. Also, I have a few sets of scrubs, but plan to have a total of 4 or 5. That way, if for some reason I have to wear scrubs ever day one week, I will not have to wash clothes until Saturday or Sunday. As far as black scrubs go, I don't know if they are not allowed; however, I would think lighter colors may show less material and dust from our labs. Black will probably make every little particle look like dandruff. :)

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps a little. I suppose you could email the student that interviewed you, or the first year student listed in your interview invite letter. Either one will probably be glad to answer your questions.

See you in a month and a half.

So should I even apply to baylor if i dont have a LOR from a dentist?????

Get a letter from a dentist, then apply to Baylor.

Call several dentists starting with your own and see if they will let you shadow them and after you've gotten to know them better ask them for a letter of recommendation.

hth

A LOR from a dentist is required for Baylor. Dont' apply without one. On a side note, you can use your dentist LOR as on of your letter for your schools HPAC committee.

While a letter of rec from a dentist is said to be required, you can gain admission to Baylor if you do not have one. I am proof of this. However, I was probably the exception rather than the rule.

Heck, in the 2006 application cycle two people got into Baylor without taking the DAT. If they want you bad enough, dental schools can waive whatever requirements they want.

In short, even if you do not have a letter of rec from a dentist (but try your best to get one), apply to Baylor. You never know what may happen.

By the way, thanks DDeStiny for the scrub info.

what's secondary application? :\.. only Baylor requires it right? does everybody who applies to Baylor need to have a secondary app?

thanks!

It's a really short form that just asks for background info...parents, income, schooling. It's not a big deal and Baylor is the only one that does it. As far as the health committee stuff goes, it totally depends on your school. Smaller schools will actually interview you and write a letter. Big schools like Texas and A&M will take all your letters (profs, dentist, etc), stick them in an envelope, and add a cover letter. I think the worst possible option is the schools that read your letters and write a composite letter based on what the other people said. I think that's dumb. Go to your office and ask what they do.

And, I would recommend that you use this summer if you can to shadow a dentist for a few days. Definitely more than once. I think the best option would be one day a week if possible over the period of a month or two. Just see what you can do. But definitely get that letter. You need the shadowing experience anyway.

CONGRATS to all starting school in a couple of months.....Just coming back to this site and this thread is here every year :) People here were a big source of info and help for me so I will offer any help I can give back....If you are going to Baylor this year or applying or want to know anything about the school or the area or need a tour or advice please ask :) I will be at school all summer starting my 3rd year. CONGRATS again.

I was checking the dental message board and noticed a thread of everyone posting answers to questions regarding different schools. I posted hoping someone would answer questions regarding UTHSCSA for those who will be attending or applying. Hope this helps!

1) Name of Your Dental Schoool?uthscsa

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?
block...i guess, we do have midterms and finals

3) What is the hardest class? Why?
gross anatomy is a killer!! do well on the first test to gain confidence and a cushion.

4) What is the easiest class? Why?
several small classes are easy. for example, community dentistry. be sure to look at all old exams cuz most questions come from there

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
no gunners and awesome cameraderie amonst all students

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
powerpoints

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?
nope

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?
letter grades

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?
you will find that many people share there notes with the whole class and if for any reason they don't you will have plenty from previous years students

10) Is class attendance mandatory?
no

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
approachable

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?
yes

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?
hmm..i believe it is in the upper nineties..maybe 100...dunno for sure

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year?
2nd year

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?
part 1 is taken in between your 2nd and 3rd year. you will have 3 weeks off to study and then you will have 1 mos of clinic, followed by 3 more weeks off to study and take the board exam

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?
awesome facilities; but i don't hang around to see who studies there

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?
don't know yet

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?
plenty of chairs

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?
dunno

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?
i believe so

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?
opportunities, yes, but i don't know the details

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?
dunno yet

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?
jeans are fine for the first two years that you are not in the clinic (most days), after that it is scrubs every day. the color is up to you.

quick question guys!
did you fill out both optional essays on TMDSAS? I filled out the 2nd one about diversity of educational experiences but not the first one (talked about life experiences)...i cant really think of anything...i'm done with everything else...i'm eager to submit and my committee review is tomorrow..we'll see how that goes....
thanks in advance!
ld

I can't remember exactly what questions were on there but I remember leaving one of the optional questions blank. I answered one about diversity and then left one that had something to do with explaining any part of my app. blank.

I wrote the optional essay on diversity and left the other blank.

Hey guys. I just went to the optometrist today. Turns out I have astigmatism so I do not see as clearly as I should. I always thought my vision was pretty good, but the corrective lenses make a big difference in how sharp and bright everything appears. If you are considering using loupes in school or are required to get them I strongly encourage you to get your eyes checked. Besides, why make studying more difficult than it needs to be by straining your eyes.

Not yet. The soonest I can probably do it is after the 4th of July.

did anyone here take a class while studying for the dat? i'm thinking about taking physiology and it starts ~8 days before my exam....
thanks
-ld

Yes... while I was taking the Kaplan class I was enrolled in biochem, biochem lab, physio lab, physics 1, physics 1 lab, and wildlife bio. I was enrolled in cell and molecular bio and economics while I was finishing up my studying.

I was wondering what these things tat we need for anatomy class from the student survival kit

Texas Dental badge reel = thing that you clip on and can retract ur badge when pulled out? <-- useless
Rubicon Anti-fog safety glasses with side shields <-- can i just use my ochem lab safety glasses?
Texs Dental auto decal <-- useless
Lighter = cigrattee lighter or long stick lighter... got both
Flat head screw driver for articulator = whats that? ariculator? what size screw driver?
Polishing cloth for wax-ups = what kind of cloth is it? silky? wool? the one i clean my glasses with?
Needle nose pliers for Bunsne burner = what size?

Thanks!

I agree, the survival kit is senseless since most of this stuff is readily available for less $$ elsewhere.

The test bank is probably worth it though.

Hey you guys

Just to let you know, UTHSCSA is struggling to get patients for their 3rd and 4th year students and Board Exams...probably because of the location of the dental school...most of the people needing dental care do not live on the side of town that the dental school is on...so as a result it makes it a little more difficult to commute for dental care...so you may want to keep that in mind when making a decision!

I guess anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe that the students would have trouble finding patients in one of the biggest cities in the United States. I doubt that the students in San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston are really having a big problem finding patients due to the population of the cities. I know the schools are supposed to help to some extent, but the students are supposed to do their part of the work as well in trying to find suitable patients.

Does anyone have Kaplan "course" materials - review notes, lesson plans for sale?

I just thought id share that with you since I talked to some of the students when I visited UTHSCSA, that didn't come from me it came from the 3rd year students who were having trouble, apparently its an issue for the school! I didnt say that Houston and Dallas were having trouble...only SA...Houston and Dallas schools are located in the inner city...I am at Baylor right now in a summer program and they have an abundance of patients!

When I had my interview in SA Dr. Thomas came right out and told us they are having trouble finding patients. Some students were being forced to find them through dentists outside the school. The faculty is very aware of the problem and reassured us that they are working to solve it. They have two years to find a solution before I am a third year. I knew all of this when I chose SA and I am still confident about my choice.

To All:

Tomorrow marks the beginning of my four year journey to the DDS here in San Antonio. I wanted to thank the contributors to this thread for your support during the application process. Also, no matter where in Texas you decided to attend dental school we are all getting the best education in the country and that is something I am proud of as a Texan. Congratulations to everyone accepted this year and I'll see ya'll on the other side of graduation. This is TexDDS signing off one last time.

I have a few questions that if anybody could answer some of them or give any input I'd Greatly appreciate it.

1) Has anybody here come from a different state and become a resident in Texas? If so, how difficult was it and how did you do it? I plan on moving to TX next month, doing a year of pre-reqs then applying for the D-schools- hoping of course that I'll be accepted as a resident.

2) Do the D-schools frown on not having a degree by the time of application? I will have most of my pre-reqs done by the time I apply for D-school, but won't have my degree until the spring of when I would be entering D-school if accepted.

3) Are certain Texas universities frowned upon by D-Schools? I am looking at moving to Brownsville because I was a bit late on the admissions deadlines and saw that it, and a few other UT schools have later deadlines. I've already heard that Bville is pretty crazy, so if anybody has opinions on that as well I'd like to hear it.

Good luck all on the admissions.

I have a few questions that if anybody could answer some of them or give any input I'd Greatly appreciate it.

1) Has anybody here come from a different state and become a resident in Texas? If so, how difficult was it and how did you do it? I plan on moving to TX next month, doing a year of pre-reqs then applying for the D-schools- hoping of course that I'll be accepted as a resident.

2) Do the D-schools frown on not having a degree by the time of application? I will have most of my pre-reqs done by the time I apply for D-school, but won't have my degree until the spring of when I would be entering D-school if accepted.

3) Are certain Texas universities frowned upon by D-Schools? I am looking at moving to Brownsville because I was a bit late on the admissions deadlines and saw that it, and a few other UT schools have later deadlines. I've already heard that Bville is pretty crazy, so if anybody has opinions on that as well I'd like to hear it.

Good luck all on the admissions.

I can't answer your other questions, but I recently moved to Texas and have been looking to establish residency as well. As far as I know, you have to have lived here for at least 12 months but not as a student. If you do, it's seen as you coming to the state just for an education and not to establish residency.

Here are some links that list other requirements for being a Texas resident:
http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/residency/
http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/Rules/tac3.cfm?Chapter_ID=21&Subchapter=X

i know im a little behind on application but i need suggestions
the section where they ask for research experience... well i do not have any and im worried! Does research on project in class that pertains dental info count?

and then the part to that ask awards, honors, scholarship- don't remember on getting any.

HElp PLEASE!

I'm pretty sure by research they mean in a laboratory of some sort working with a professor or grad student. I don't think the "research" you did on a term paper qualifies... unless it was something extraordinary.

As far as awards and scholarships.... if you don't remember getting any ask someone who might (parents?) If that isn't an option, I'm assuming you' just have to leave it blank.