The University of Toledo Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Touchdown for the concrete answers--I really appreciate it. I generally hate missing class but I was concerned about being able to come back to Cali once or twice a semester if needed, leaving Friday and coming back Sunday-- but from your reply it looks like I might be fine (at least until November when anatomy starts). But even then, if any Cali people are interested, it seems there's a direct Northwest flight (nonstop!!) from DTW to SFO, leaving Friday at 7 PM (arriving SFO 9 PM) and then coming back Sunday (12:45-8 PM), for about $320 rt.

Hallm actually replied to a lot of questions in the other thread (thanks Hallm!)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407683

So.. I accepted the offer today! I am so so so unbelievably excited. Nice people, beautiful campus and facilities, great teaching, and supportive staff at Toledo are the reasons I am turning down the other school I was accepted at. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Congratulations!!!

Members don't see this ad.

When is everyone going to toledo for apartment hunting?

Any news on financial aid reward letter?

Hey everyone, I just got accepted to MUOs SMP--the MSBS/MS in Medical Sciences. I hope to see you all there next year and hopefully years to come :)

Do any of you know more about this program and successes with it? Thanks!!!

Bumpage. Also, if there are any current MUO students out there, if possible I would like to PM you. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this has been mentioned before, but there is a facebook group for incoming students to the class of 2011. Just search "UTCOM Class of 2011" and the group should show up - it is global. I posted a bunch of pictures of Toledo and the nearby cities, with info about things like the Ann Arbor art fair and Cedar Point. Check it out if you want to get to know a bit more about the city. I am not very familiar with Toledo's nightlife, since I had my nose in books throughout high school and haven't really been back since freshman year of college, so maybe current UT-COM students would like to post info about the popular med student hang outs.

No award letter yet =( Even though I just got accepted, I submitted my FAFSA a while back thinking at least it would be ready to go in case I got accepted. I don't know how this whole process works though or what the turnaround time is. I'm going to call FA office tomorrow and I'll let you know what I find out.
I want to join facebook, but am I correct that you need a university email address? I haven't gotten mine from Toledo yet.
Thanks for the congratulations HoneyMustard!! I'm so excited.. =) Good to see you on the forums again!

I do not believe you need a university e-mail to join facebook. About a year ago, it was opened up to everyone. This just means that you will not be able to join a university network until you have an e-mail from that school, but you can join city networks. So go get registered!

If you are talking about the Orchard Lakes just off Bancroft, you're in a nice part of town...really safe. I would have problems living there, though, because one of the city's best ice cream shops is right at Bancroft and McCord. Ice cream everyday isn't too healthy, or so my doctor tells me.

I was seriously thinking about the Ridge on Airport Highway, but now it's between Fox Chase Apartments (15 mins from campus), the Ridge (10 mins) and buying a condo (also 10 mins). If anybody has input on renting vs. buying (with the help of parents making a down payment), please share.

I called the Ridge before signing at Orchard Lakes and they said they wouldn't have any one bedrooms available before October, filled up already :( (I think they did have some 2 bedrooms though). You might have some luck calling in now though and asking to be placed on a waitlist in case a one bedroom opens up early. I highly recommend everyone start looking at places as soon as they can as it seems they are filling up. Best of luck guys and looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hey guys! I think I am signing at Country Club Apartments. They have small 1 bedrooms available for 575. I liked them because there is a gym on site. Washer dryer is in the unit. Bus service is nearby (although from all the advice given here I don't think I'll be using bus most days). They are located close to Orchard Lakes from what I understand. On rent.com they look really well-maintained. I'm going to inquire with Orchard Lakes tomorrow too.

Does anyone know what credit scores are typically needed for these apartments?

Abilene, thanks for the facebook heads up, I'll sign up today! Although the only real reason I'm signing up is the Toledo Class of 2011 network.. so I hope that I get my Toledo email quickly.

Sorry for another post.. does anyone know of good, reliable and quick car transport services? I'm shipping from SoCal to Toledo.. Thank you!

When is everyone going to toledo for apartment hunting?

Any news on financial aid reward letter?

Planning on going hunting next month and planning on moving by the end of July or very early Aug.

And they did say fin aid awards ;) will be available by the end of the month.

Bumpage. Also, if there are any current MUO students out there, if possible I would like to PM you. Thanks!

I don't like your avatar.:smuggrin: It's like I'm actually seeing you defeated and holding your head down. You need something that's cool :cool:, more upbeat :love: and more more positive :p

:D

hey guys, to add to the finaid info--i called today too, and bee (a incredibly nice fin aid officer) said right now she is only working on summer letters and hasn't yet gotten to to the fall letters. she said the same thing honey mustard reported--probably by the end of the month. =)

haha, i *finally* got the facebook account.

In addition, there are 2 Indian food stores around/on Central Avenue, about 15 minutes away from campus. One of them, Deepam's, is also an Indian deli and is probably the best Indian food you're going to get in Toledo (the other Indian restaurants blow).

I'd also like to add my 2 cents about apartment complexes- I would strongly urge you to not live right on campus, unless you lack a car. And especially, don't live in Deerfield Run. Every year, 1st year students pick that as a place to live and the moving out rate is huge (disclaimer: I do know two people who have stayed there and will be staying there). It's not the safest of apartment complexes and it's pretty expensive for Toledo.

I lived in Lake View Shores Apartments for 2 years in Maumee. Wicked cheap (700 square feet for $415-435/month) and pretty safe. The management was great, also. More importantly, the surrounding area has tons of apartment complexes that are all decent bargains and fairly safe. I'm a big proponent of Maumee as a place to live in.

Good luck to you all in your search!

I was just going to ask about Indian Resteraunts...I might miss home to much :)

I don't like your avatar.:smuggrin: It's like I'm actually seeing you defeated and holding your head down. You need something that's cool :cool:, more upbeat :love: and more more positive :p

:D

I guess I could change it soooon. Have you found a place to live yet? I will be apartment hunting this July.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I could change it soooon. Have you found a place to live yet? I will be apartment hunting this July.

No I haven't. I won't be going until July either. I live too far away to go any earlier.

Looking forward to an awesome experience. Best kept secret in America. :love:

After a lot of back and forth between renting vs. buying, I finally settled on Fox Chase Apartments. Is anybody else looking at that complex, planning to live there, or already living there?

After a lot of back and forth between renting vs. buying, I finally settled on Fox Chase Apartments. Is anybody else looking at that complex, planning to live there, or already living there?

Hi there,
I settled on either Orchard Lakes or Tracy Creek, but I know there are people in the facebook group who signed at Fox Chase. There is girl in the group who posted a detailed review of the apartments there.

Haha, ya I have known her for the past 22 years and 4 months. :p Anyone else looking at Fox Chase besides me and myself?

Haha, ya I have known her for the past 22 years and 4 months. :p Anyone else looking at Fox Chase besides me and myself?

Hahaha, hey there!! =) Sorry about that..

Just received Toledo Username / e-mail info in the mail today :), hopefully financial info will be soon to follow :laugh:

I tried to input my social and my birthdate and it didn't work--said there was no UTAD ID in the system yet with that combination. Did anyone else's work? I typed the social without dashes, and typed the birthdate in mm/dd/yyyy format as instructed. Thanks!

I tried to input my social and my birthdate and it didn't work--said there was no UTAD ID in the system yet with that combination. Did anyone else's work? I typed the social without dashes, and typed the birthdate in mm/dd/yyyy format as instructed. Thanks!

I'm not able to get it to work either.

Hey, I wasn't able to get mine to work--I called Student Affairs and Kathy told me she'd take care of it, and then I should be able to log in on Friday. If yours isn't working definitely give her a call =)

Yes, I did call her on monday and she said it would be up an working on Tuesday...and it still hasn't.

Hey guys, I got the financial aid papers today but it didn't come with any sort of guide to understanding federal work study or interest rates on the different types. I've never taken a loan for school out before so it's sort of a confusing thing for me, anyone have any idea where would be a good place to start learning before I hit up google :)?

edit: The initial letter says that the letter should have come with "a file folder to retain your financial aids documents. Also included is information about the University's Staford Loan program, online tools, etc." - I didn't receive the file folder nor the information guide, could it just be that this info will only be made available online or maybe just my letter got mailed without it? Sort of confused :confused:

Hey guys, I got the financial aid papers today but it didn't come with any sort of guide to understanding federal work study or interest rates on the different types. I've never taken a loan for school out before so it's sort of a confusing thing for me, anyone have any idea where would be a good place to start learning before I hit up google :)?

edit: The initial letter says that the letter should have come with "a file folder to retain your financial aids documents. Also included is information about the University's Staford Loan program, online tools, etc." - I didn't receive the file folder nor the information guide, could it just be that this info will only be made available online or maybe just my letter got mailed without it? Sort of confused :confused:

I haven't received any financial aid papers but I've got a lot of questions begging for answers as well. Unfortunately, the financial aid person I'm assigned to is no help. She doesn't pick up the phone and doesn't ever return calls.

Hey sav!
Did you already receive your award letter, or did you just receive the forms to submit to financial aid (e.g. Title IV authorization, etc) so that they can process your award? I got those forms with my admissions packet, but I didn't get a award letter yet.

Re: general info, I actually found the SDN financial aid forum really useful, as well as a website called finaid.com. There are also a number of good articles in Yahoo personal finance. I didn't get a file folder or a information guide with my forms either, but I did get a information guide at the orientation session that helped answer a lot of my questions. I'd be happy to scan it in for you if it will help. The Sallie Mae website is also really useful if you need information on the different interest rates attached to non-university loans.

I received my award letter on Tuesday but I am so confused about all this loan stuff, gonna have to give the fin aid office a call when I can find some time cause right now I'm still working full time.

I haven't received my award letter yet... Hopefully I will get it soon. I read financial aid section on AAMC website awhile ago and it was somewhat helpful. I also took some online tutorial thing for other school's website... I am still confused about this whole process but as we go through this, hopefully we can help each other out. :)

Shpamme said:
Hey sav!
Did you already receive your award letter, or did you just receive the forms to submit to financial aid (e.g. Title IV authorization, etc) so that they can process your award? I got those forms with my admissions packet, but I didn't get a award letter yet.

Heya Shpamme, yeah I think this is the award letter, I sent in that financial aid stuff in late March I think with my parents tax info. I did it all electronically (online FAFSA) back then to get it done quicker. I didn't receive any financial awards though ($0 total gift aid) but I did receive the amount I can potentially take out for loans, so now I guess it's wine and dining the parents to get as much as I can get from them before finalizing how much to take out from the school loans :).

I don't think we'll ever have to mess with non school loans because they offer almost the full estimated cost of $37,120 in total school loans and the max of that is 6.8% interest which is a lot nicer than the other stuff I've seen.

Here is the BASIC info I have learned from googling on the type of loans offered on the financial aid awards sheet:
Federal Work Study - $8/hour for doing research/tech aid/other jobs up to the amount on your sheet
Subsidized Stafford Loan - 0% interest till you graduate (very nice, but not much cash here; max you can get is $8500 / year)
Unsubsidized Stafford Loan - 6.8% interest begins as soon as you take the money but you are able to pay ONLY interest until you graduate where upon you can begin to pay Principle
Additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan - Not sure what is different about this?

Also I saw your post earlier, I signed at Orchard Lakes about 3 weeks ago, hope you get off the waitlist there. It seems like a really nice place, I am excited to move there mid July. Did you also check out Country Club apartments, they were pretty good too. When is everyone planning on moving down? I am planning on mid/late July to get used to the area. I'm from Ohio but I've never been to Toledo (been to Sandusky quite a bit though) besides once for the interview and once for the apartment signing, very nice place though.

Has anyone looked at picking a lender yet?
I'm not exactly sure what to look for, but, T.H.E. sounds pretty good to me so far. Toledo offers the MUO foundation and Nelnet (only for GradPlus loans). Here's what I've learned so far:

MUO: Zero Fees
3.33% reduction of the original principal loan balance after making 30 initial, on-time payments
.25% interest rate reduction for auto-debit payments

Nelnet: 3% interest credit after the loan enters repayment, applied 210 days after the PLUS is fully disbursed
3.33% reduction of original principal loan balance after making 30 initial, on-time payments
.25% interest rate reduction for auto-debit payments

T.H.E.: Zero Fees
1.3% interest rate reduction for staying current with loan payments
No capitalization on interest until loan enters repayment

MOU Foundation doesn't sound all that attractive given the biggest benefit (3.33 principal reduction) requires 30 initial on-time payments. So I'm assuming if you happen to miss any payment in the first 30, you have no chance of getting that reduction. Other sites have said its pretty common to miss a payment so it sounds pretty risky.

From the fin aid forums here, it sounds like T.H.E. has been used and generally liked by a lot of people.

Has anyone thought about this yet?

Has everyone received their information about username, etc for joining the UT web community? I got my financial aid package on Monday, but 3 days later, still no sign of the other info.

Has everyone received their information about username, etc for joining the UT web community? I got my financial aid package on Monday, but 3 days later, still no sign of the other info.

Hey Abilene, the letter pretty much says just go to: https://myutaccount.utoledo.edu/?

to create your account, use SSN for ID and birthday for PW and it will set one up for you :).

Thanks so much for the info! I followed the directions yesterday to create my account and request access to the orientation group. Everything seems to be fine, except my mailbox still isn't working and it has been almost 24 hours since I activated it. I called IT and they said it might take 2 days to become active? Guess I'll just need to wait and see.

So has everyone set up their UTAD account? And it looks like each one of us gets 4 different email accounts :eek:

1. [email protected]
2. [email protected]
3. [email protected]
4. [email protected]

I would assume emails for any and all of these four accounts get directed to the same inbox, right? Does anyone know if we will be required to use any of these specific emails under specific circumstances?

I'm wondering why they didn't let us choose our own user names or why they didn't come up with a simpler and generally more acceptable combination like [first letter of first name and full last name]@[whatever].edu :smuggrin: Also, the rest of your last name gets truncated if it's more than 6 letters long. :rolleyes:

I also didn't like the fact that one doesn't have the option of forwarding one's email to a personal frequently used email address. :smuggrin: I hate the idea of checking multiple email accounts on a daily basis.

I hate to sound like a whiner but it could be very frustrating when technology is poorly structured and the software developers don't take the end-users opinions into account before system setup.

We can't forward e-mails!? :eek: That makes me very sad. I am in love with my g-mail account.

I am not sure about forwarding, but the e-mail does allow you to do POP3, so if you use outlook or something to check your gmail you can download both your e-mail accounts in one click, address for e-mail is email.utoledo.edu and login is username/pass. It's pretty useful especially with iPhone around the corner :)

We can't forward e-mails!? :eek: That makes me very sad. I am in love with my g-mail account.

Yes ya can. My emails all forward to gmail. :) Also, the only email addy that is used is the utoledo.edu one. No need to worry about the rest.

To forward emails you just go to the rules area and set a rule for all emails (leave it blank to apply to all emails) and that should do it. If you can't find it, I'll write a more detailed set of directions.

Peace.

Okay, good. I can sleep easy tonight...you know, while I wait another 24 hours for my UT e-mail to get activated. At least I know at the end I can stick with g-mail.

Whats up guys - I'm a second year at UTCOM and I wanted to let you know that you will want to use the [email protected] e-mail account. The mco and meduohio accounts are being phased out and replaced with utoledo.edu. My name is Grant Reed, so the e-mail address I use is [email protected].

You CAN forward your e-mails to/from a different server, but only if your server supports it. For instance, I want to save all my e-mails on my mac, so I set up gmail to retrieve e-mail from my utoledo account, and then set up Entourage/Exchange to download from my gmail account. Basically, now e-mail shows up on my mac rather than having to use the school's website. I can view them on my gmail account as well.

I would really encourage everyone to start using the orientation group, and please let other students know about it so that more people sign up. Along with Kelly and Christina, I helped setup the group (you'll see me as a member in the members list). We are REALLY excited about it. Instead of using student doctor solely, you should use the group as well, because all of your classmates will see your questions and staff can answer your questions right away. I dont want to discourage SDN use, but please start to use the Group to your advantage.

Take care!

Grant

You all should listen to Grant :) He's kind of a big deal. (AMA pres).

The email forwarding does not require any server compatability, however; you can forward to any email address, period. See my previous post. I believe Grant was referring to POP3 forwarding, which you can also do.

Finally, I want to put in a plug for your class wiki, which one of your classmates established and which I will be including an info sheet on in your orientation packet. Make sure you read it and join; it'll be of huge benefit to everyone.

Peace.

It's good to know that emails can be forwarded coz I don't plan on using UT's a lot. :D

Thanks for this info. Methinks they shouldn't even have given us incoming folks the other two emails if they planned on phasing them out anyway. :rolleyes: But it's all good.... ;)

Hey, Grant, while you are encouraging to use the orientation website but Crissy said something that seems to be the opposite. I can't remember exactly what was said but it seems we were told to limit posting stuff on the the orientation group website due to the limited web space. We're confused :confused:

Whats up guys - I'm a second year at UTCOM and I wanted to let you know that you will want to use the [email protected] e-mail account. The mco and meduohio accounts are being phased out and replaced with utoledo.edu. My name is Grant Reed, so the e-mail address I use is [email protected].

You CAN forward your e-mails to/from a different server, but only if your server supports it. For instance, I want to save all my e-mails on my mac, so I set up gmail to retrieve e-mail from my utoledo account, and then set up Entourage/Exchange to download from my gmail account. Basically, now e-mail shows up on my mac rather than having to use the school's website. I can view them on my gmail account as well.

I would really encourage everyone to start using the orientation group, and please let other students know about it so that more people sign up. Along with Kelly and Christina, I helped setup the group (you'll see me as a member in the members list). We are REALLY excited about it. Instead of using student doctor solely, you should use the group as well, because all of your classmates will see your questions and staff can answer your questions right away. I dont want to discourage SDN use, but please start to use the Group to your advantage.

Take care!

Grant

Hey - I don't know if there is limited space on the orientation group or not. I sure hope not, because a big point of the group is to facilitate student interaction. Regardless, if you post something on SDN just be sure to check the group and vice versa, as both will hopefully be great sources of info for you.

Props to Camel - hope your summer is going well! :)

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

CONGRATS Depakote!! I know you've been waiting for this one for a while.. SO SO happy for you!! Haha, now you have the spectacular vaccinations to look forward to.

I just got pulled from the waitlist... I'll see you guys in Aug.

(btw. need a roomie.)