The University of Toledo Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's one link:

http://www.123aptsearch.com/Toledo_OH/Toledo.htm?src=GG

There are tons of apartments in Toledo and they are very reasonable. Many near the campus (walking distance) are OK, but better ones are further west in Toledo-but still close. You could check out Maumee which is a nice area about 10 minutes away, but not really fancy. Perrysburg is about 15 minutes and is much more upscale.

Call the school and ask for a list.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's one link:

http://www.123aptsearch.com/Toledo_OH/Toledo.htm?src=GG

There are tons of apartments in Toledo and they are very reasonable. Many near the campus (walking distance) are OK, but better ones are further west in Toledo-but still close. You could check out Maumee which is a nice area about 10 minutes away, but not really fancy. Perrysburg is about 15 minutes and is much more upscale.

Call the school and ask for a list.

Thanks for the information! :thumbup:

Since everyone else is talking about this, I am little curious about how 4th year students at toledo did with the match this year. Any news?

Members don't see this ad :)
They've only released the specialty attained in the match. They haven't given us a match list with institutions on it (this will come in a couple weeks). I ran by and looked at the list and here's what I remember:

Family practice: 15
Internal medicine: 21
General Surgery: 10
Peds: 23
Neurosurg: 3
Urology: 4
Orthopedic surgery: 5
ENT: 0
Derm: 3???
PM&R: 4
Neurology: 3
Ob/GYN: 10
Emergency med: 14
Ophtalmology: 1
Dx Radiology: 16
Radiation oncology: 0
Anesthesiology: 11

I'm not sure about derm, but I think it was 3. ER and Anesthesiology were between 10 and 15, so I may have gotten the numbers between those two mixed up.

Also of note:
151 people matched (no one went unmatched)
50 (33%) stayed in Ohio
101 (67%) left the state
12 (8%) staying in Toledo
9 of the 12 (6%) will be at University of Toledo programs

Where can I find the tuition and budget estimate for Toledo? I looked on the official site but couldn't find the info.

Why is 3rd/4th year tution more expensive? Is it because it's longer? :confused:

honey mustard that is the same q i had, it makes the tuition about the same as a private school (that is if your 1st year is oos)!

honey mustard that is the same q i had, it makes the tuition about the same as a private school (that is if your 1st year is oos)!

I just did some calculation based on that data and for OOS student, we do save money compared to a private school, but not as much as i thought/wished to be. :(

Why is 3rd/4th year tution more expensive? Is it because it's longer? :confused:

That's standard at all medical schools. M1 and M2 tuition are calculated for 9 months. M3 and M4 are calculated for 12 months. That's one of those things that almost no one knows about until after they matriculate. Plus don't forget that those numbers are for this year. By the time you get to 3rd and 4th year that will be higher. The average annual increase nationally in tuition is 8-10% a year. We're looking at a 5-6% increase in tuition at Toledo for the '07-'08 school year which is an improvement over recent years but still more than doubles the rate of inflation.

Yeah, I just did the calculations too. As a OOS and assuming getting Ohio residency after 1 year, I am still looking at ~$210,000 of debt.

That's standard at all medical schools. M1 and M2 tuition are calculated for 9 months. M3 and M4 are calculated for 12 months. That's one of those things that almost no one knows about until after they matriculate. Plus don't forget that those numbers are for this year. By the time you get to 3rd and 4th year that will be higher. The average annual increase nationally in tuition is 8-10% a year. We're looking at a 5-6% increase in tuition at Toledo for the '07-'08 school year which is an improvement over recent years but still more than doubles the rate of inflation.

I agree that we will be paying a lot more by the time we get to 3rd/4th years. But I looked at some other schools web site and for some schools (mostly other state schools) that I looked at, 3rd and 4th year tuition is almost the same amount as first 2 years, if not exactly the same. I am not complaining here becuz going to toledo will be definitely cheaper than going to private schools. I've noticed that most private schools have information only on first year budget. So Hallm_7 is right altho i guess it is not standard for ALL medical schools. Thanks for the input anyways. You've been very helpful to all of us!

Yeah, I just did the calculations too. As a OOS and assuming getting Ohio residency after 1 year, I am still looking at ~$210,000 of debt.

I did the calculation based on the latest Cost of Attendance:

OOS Student: Total tutition= $137,884 Total Living costs: $59,406

OVERALL TOTAL: $197,290 (Add maybe 8% for increases: $213,073)

Man, that is hella dollars
:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure you did that calculation right? 213 means 50k average over four years, and this year its 32 for OOS, I think you are overestimating.

Are you sure you did that calculation right? 213 means 50k average over four years, and this year its 32 for OOS, I think you are overestimating.

Yeah it seems very high to me too, but what I did is just added the tuition plus living expenses estimate published by toledo and added them over the four years. One thing to note is that the third and fourth years the tuition is higher because those years are 12 months, whereas yrs 1 and 2 are only 9. The living expenses may be overestimated a bit..?

I got around that number too, taking into account 6% tuition rise each year.

From their 1st year OOS budget PDF: Non-Resident: Tuition will be $25,754 for each term ($51,508 per year).

They've only released the specialty attained in the match. They haven't given us a match list with institutions on it (this will come in a couple weeks). I ran by and looked at the list and here's what I remember:

Family practice: 15
Internal medicine: 21
General Surgery: 10
Peds: 23
Neurosurg: 3
Urology: 4
Orthopedic surgery: 5
ENT: 0
Derm: 3???
PM&R: 4
Neurology: 3
Ob/GYN: 10
Emergency med: 14
Ophtalmology: 1
Dx Radiology: 16
Radiation oncology: 0
Anesthesiology: 11

I'm not sure about derm, but I think it was 3. ER and Anesthesiology were between 10 and 15, so I may have gotten the numbers between those two mixed up.

Also of note:
151 people matched (no one went unmatched)
50 (33%) stayed in Ohio
101 (67%) left the state
12 (8%) staying in Toledo
9 of the 12 (6%) will be at University of Toledo programs

is there an official document up yet?

i just went for a second look and they had their match list there. I have a copy at home. numbers look the same. i can post it if anyone cares i think anethesia was 10 not 11 but who really cares. anyways anyone know of an official second look.

i just went for a second look and they had their match list there. I have a copy at home. numbers look the same. i can post it if anyone cares i think anethesia was 10 not 11 but who really cares. anyways anyone know of an official second look.

I would really appreciate it if you could post it. Specifically I am interested in seeing which ones were preliminary matches versus categorical matches.

I would really appreciate it if you could post it. Specifically I am interested in seeing which ones were preliminary matches versus categorical matches.

the website.

Could somebody explain the process whereby people from outside the state of Ohio can, after the first year, be made eligible for in-state tuition? It would be great to hear from someone who attends UTCOM, paid out-of-state tuition their first year, went through this processs and paid/is now paying in-state tuition from that point onward. Does the office of financial aid work with you to ensure that you know how to do this and that it works for you? Is everyone at UTCOM from M2 onward considered Ohio residents paying in-state tuition?

Thank you for your help.

^I fulfil half of your requirements (M1 OoS) and have started inquiring to the process here's what you need to do:
-Get an Ohio Licence
-Register to Vote in Ohio
-Become independent (ie your parents cant claim you on next years income tax)
-Accept no money from out of state sources for 1 year
-Buy or rent a residence in Ohio and live there for 1 year

You cant apply to become in state until you fulfill all of those requirements. So, I cant apply until August, but I have heard that if you do all those things you're app will sail through and your tuition for Fall M2 will be retroactively reduced to instate so long as you clear the process by the end of the first semester.

Or if you're lucky and have a spouse, the moment they are employed by an Ohio business and you own/rent in Ohio you become in state, no waiting requried.

^I fulfil half of your requirements (M1 OoS) and have started inquiring to the process here's what you need to do:
-Get an Ohio Licence
-Register to Vote in Ohio
-Become independent (ie your parents cant claim you on next years income tax)
-Accept no money from out of state sources for 1 year
-Buy or rent a residence in Ohio and live there for 1 year

You cant apply to become in state until you fulfill all of those requirements. So, I cant apply until August, but I have heard that if you do all those things you're app will sail through and your tuition for Fall M2 will be retroactively reduced to instate so long as you clear the process by the end of the first semester.

Or if you're lucky and have a spouse, the moment they are employed by an Ohio business and you own/rent in Ohio you become in state, no waiting requried.

Awesome! Thanks for your help.

I'm an M2 and have gone through this process as well. I agree with what Touchdown said for the most part. I don't think you actually have to register to vote or register your car or get an Ohio license. These all help, and I would recommend doing them though.

In reality no one is denied unless they are receiving significant support from their parents and you report that support or if their parents still claim them for tax purposes. That's the area that most people get in trouble. That's not to say your parents can't help you a little along the way (you can receive up to $12,000 a year as a gift and not pay gift tax on it, but I'm not sure if the same $12,000 limit applies for residency purposes or not), but they for sure can't pay for all your bills or your tuition.

All in all, it's really not a big deal at all. Just do those things Touchdown listed and you'll be good to go. Also, do these things in the time between you moving to Toledo and when classes start. It's good to go ahead and get that out of the way. These places often have long lines and inconvenient hours and can get in the way of your free time (which is valuable) or your study time.

I have a question about fin aid part.

Since OOS tuition is very expensive for the first year, i was thinking of borrowing a significant amount of money from my parents at a lower interest rate only for the 1st year. I will still borrow money from fed staff loan and everything b/c the amount of money that i am borrowing from my parents is not enough to cover everything. But i am sure that it will exceed $12,000. Will this prevent me from getting OH residency after 1st year? :confused:

did you guys already get your fin aid package?

i just talked to someone in finacial aid. she said packets prob wouldn't go out for like a month or two. she said if you call they can give you all the alotments since unless you got a scholarship from admission it is going to be the same jsut in-state or out-of state. she kinda looked at me like i was stupid when i asked about packets. like why i would want one.

I have a question about fin aid part.

Since OOS tuition is very expensive for the first year, i was thinking of borrowing a significant amount of money from my parents at a lower interest rate only for the 1st year. I will still borrow money from fed staff loan and everything b/c the amount of money that i am borrowing from my parents is not enough to cover everything. But i am sure that it will exceed $12,000. Will this prevent me from getting OH residency after 1st year? :confused:

I don't know. I would contact the Financial Aid office to check with them first. I would think that since it's a loan and not just them paying for your tuition, that you would still be elligible. However, don't risk not becoming independent because long run you'll spend more money being OOS than you would with a reduced interest rate from your parents. You may actually have to sign a contract with your parents to prove to the IRS and school that this money isn't a large gift but is instead a loan.

i just talked to someone in finacial aid. she said packets prob wouldn't go out for like a month or two. she said if you call they can give you all the alotments since unless you got a scholarship from admission it is going to be the same jsut in-state or out-of state. she kinda looked at me like i was stupid when i asked about packets. like why i would want one.

so have they given out all the scholarships? and do any oos get any?

No fin aid package yet.

How are you guys doing with health requirement thing?

When is good time for apt hunting? Is June early enough?

When is good time for apt hunting? Is June early enough?

Most apartment complexes that I've called said that they really won't have a good idea of their availabilities until closer to 1 month prior to your scheduled move-in date. This, however, doesn't mean you should wait until then to findout where you want to live and fill out a rental application because most places have a waitlist. I suggest you act quickly if you know for sure you will be attending UTCOM and checkout the area to determine where you want to live. From my personal experience I've found that the best places to look are south of the medical school, southwest of the medical school, and west of the medical school (and maybe some north west of the school). From what I've seen/heard it is best to stay away from north of the medical school, northeast of the medical school, and east of the medical school because you get closer to the UT main campus and also closer to downtown Toledo (which can be some "bad areas" relatively speaking).

No fin aid package yet.

How are you guys doing with health requirement thing?

I have a physical scheduled for next Tuesday so hopefully most of it will be taken care of. I don't know about their policy for TB testing (we need two separate PPD readings within 1 to 3 weeks apart, as opposed to just one). I'm sure it won't be such a big deal though, just wonder why we need 2 within 1 to 3 weeks apart...I guess maybe to guage the consistency of your results...hopefully I can just come in and have the nurse do the second one without needing to see the doctor (and the accompanying copay).

After having to brave the Washington, DC renting market for a year trust me when I say this, Toledo is easy. I came here a week before classes started with my stuff allready with me and signed in a day. You shouldnt have a problem finding a place.

After having to brave the Washington, DC renting market for a year trust me when I say this, Toledo is easy. I came here a week before classes started with my stuff allready with me and signed in a day. You shouldnt have a problem finding a place.

It's one thing to find a place...it's something entirely different to find the right place for you (that suits your ideal proximity to the medical school...in a good area that fits your needs...at the right price you are looking for...with all the amenities and space requirements you may have). This is why it is always a good idea to get out there early looking for the right place for you.

I agree with you that it isn't that bad finding places in Toledo, but you do have to be aware of the fact that there are certain places you may not be happy living in (especially since a lot of apartment complexes in the area are a stone's throw away from railroad tracks or the express way). Either way, you won't find me losing sleep over it since last weekend I already put in an application for a place that I think is great, in a great location, that fulfills all of my needs and at a great price.

It's one thing to find a place...it's something entirely different to find the right place for you (that suits your ideal proximity to the medical school...in a good area that fits your needs...at the right price you are looking for...with all the amenities and space requirements you may have). This is why it is always a good idea to get out there early looking for the right place for you.

I agree with you that it isn't that bad finding places in Toledo, but you do have to be aware of the fact that there are certain places you may not be happy living in (especially since a lot of apartment complexes in the area are a stone's throw away from railroad tracks or the express way). Either way, you won't find me losing sleep over it since last weekend I already put in an application for a place that I think is great, in a great location, that fulfills all of my needs and at a great price.

I agree with you and that's why I wanted to look early so that I don't have to be stressed out about finding a place right before the school starts. Any recommendation? Which apt did you choose (if you don't mind me asking)?

Speaking generally, do not go east from campus to find a place, anything to the North (UT Campus Area, Sylvania) South (Perrysburg) and West (Maumee) is ok.

It depends on what is important to you, do you want to be in a single? Do you want to be within walking distance of school, etc. My suggestion is to take a trip to Toledo this summer to find a place, because seeing them in person is the best way to know you will like the place.

I prefer to live in 1 bedroom, within 3-4 miles of school, rent below $500 would be nice.

Is Glendale Village ok place to live? It seems close enough and very cheap.

Where do you guys live?

have all scholarships been given? or will we find out if we get them with our fin aid?

have all scholarships been given? or will we find out if we get them with our fin aid?

I called asking about the timeline for financial aid. The due date for having all forms submitted to the office of financial aid is May 18th. Shortly after May18th they will be sending out financial aid award letters. My guess is that we won't find out about scholarships until then (at the earliest). I am under the impression that UTCOM is one of the medical schools that doesn't use scholarships to lure competitive applicants to them, but rather uses them to reward applicants who want to attend UTCOM for its own merits. That, and the fact that an entirely separate committee other than the admissions committee handles scholarship awards. I could be wrong about all this though...

I live in Preston Gardens Perrysburg (10-20 min away.) Its a little expensive and not "walking distance from the school" by any means but I study at home and the place is brand new (Im renter #1) and huge.

I called asking about the timeline for financial aid. The due date for having all forms submitted to the office of financial aid is May 18th. Shortly after May18th they will be sending out financial aid award letters. My guess is that we won't find out about scholarships until then (at the earliest). I am under the impression that UTCOM is one of the medical schools that doesn't use scholarships to lure competitive applicants to them, but rather uses them to reward applicants who want to attend UTCOM for its own merits. That, and the fact that an entirely separate committee other than the admissions committee handles scholarship awards. I could be wrong about all this though...

I talked to admissions and fin aid this week and they said something a little different. Apparently they do use scholarships as recruiting tools, and that if you havent heard that you've received a scholarship, you probably aren't going to receive one because they are generally sent out with acceptance letters. However, its a good idea to call the admissions office (not fin aid, they ONLY deal with loans) and ask if there is any scholarship in line for you. The school does all the work with deciding who to award money to, so there are no scholarship apps to fill out or anything like that.

I talked to admissions and fin aid this week and they said something a little different. Apparently they do use scholarships as recruiting tools, and that if you havent heard that you've received a scholarship, you probably aren't going to receive one because they are generally sent out with acceptance letters. However, its a good idea to call the admissions office (not fin aid, they ONLY deal with loans) and ask if there is any scholarship in line for you. The school does all the work with deciding who to award money to, so there are no scholarship apps to fill out or anything like that.

That's very interesting, considering I interviewed in early October (which was when they first started interviewing people) and was accepted in mid November...I must have been good enough to be accepted, but not quite good enough to offer any scholarships (there were none attached to my acceptance letter). Not like I would be swayed either way with scholarship money, just that it never hurts to get a little financial assistance...Could be because I am out-of-state???

Let me just say application year can really tell you a lot about yourself.

I choose Toledo and I am happy about it. Can we start already?

Anybody out there mind giving me their top 3 reasons for attending UT?

1. MD/PhD program in biomedical engineering
2. Ohio resident
3. On-campus hospital

1. The stats of their incoming classes (MCAT+GPA) are not incredibly impressive, but what they are able to do with these students once they get ahold of them (USMLE scores + residency match positions) is incredibly impressive!!!

2. The facilties provide everything that you need (they are relatively new, interconnected by above-ground and below-ground tunnels, health science campus is set apart from the undergrad campus, library is awesome, atmosphere is quiet and peaceful, wireless campus, not in the middle of a ghetto like many medical schools are, etc.).

3. I really, really like the design of the curriculum and I am very excited to get started!!!

Thanks for the posts guys. I had quite the dilemma. I was trying to decide btwn Cincinnati and Toledo. While Cincinnati is a 'better' school, UT offers something very different.

I want to get a feel for my future classmates, so thanks for giving me your top three.

I am set on attending Toledo, barring some miracle out west, but I was wondering what the deposit fee was to hold a place in Toledo's entering class of 2007? I've written withdrawal letters from other schools, and I have seen how much money the other schools wanted me to deposit in their acceptance letters, yet I didn't find any amount listed on Toledo's letter.

Thanks yall.

to my knowledge, there is no deposit. take it easy hopefulM.D.

As a current first year (only a few days to go!), I came because of the curriculum, the board pass rate, and the location (to be honest, by location I mean location w/in a city, not the city itself, I'm not the biggest fan of T-town). I was able to get an apartment literally against the border of campus, so I walked to class every day this year and loved it (made it feel like undergrad for me). Good exercise, save gas, and I only had to get up a little bit before class started. At a lot of the other schools I was accepted to, I would have been iffy about both living near campus and walking to class (safety, mostly). Peace.