The University of Toledo Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DetroitRocket

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got accepted at UT (name changed from Medical University of Ohio). Anyone else out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Have a spot here! Will see if Cincy accepts me though.

Have a spot here! Will see if Cincy accepts me though.

I also got accepted to Tulane and University of Toledo. Any thoughts on which one you prefer? Right now I'm definately leaning towards Tulane and will most likely go there. I really like New Orleans and I was very impressed with the overall friendliness of the students and faculty. Although, UT has a great cirriculum and seems to prepare you well for USMLEs. I'd be happy going to either one.

Members don't see this ad :)
is the tuition. It's pretty expensive to attend there. The difference in cost btwn toledo and tulane would probably be around 100,000 bucks. So, I am sort of weighing my options to see if a degree at Tulane would be worth more to me than at degree at toledo. And, to answer your question, I really don't know, but I am for sure leaning towards Tulane.

is the tuition. It's pretty expensive to attend there. The difference in cost btwn toledo and tulane would probably be around 100,000 bucks. So, I am sort of weighing my options to see if a degree at Tulane would be worth more to me than at degree at toledo. And, to answer your question, I really don't know, but I am for sure leaning towards Tulane.

You are right, the difference in tuition is definately something to think about, thats a ton of money. When I visited Toledo I loved the school, but I got the impression that there wasn't a whole lot to do there outside of studying. Am I wrong?

Toledo is a mid-size city with a zoo and such. However, it probably has no nightlife. But, the location of Toledo on the map makes it easy for one to travel by car to Chicago, Philly, Cleveland, and Detroit.

Toledo is a mid-size city with a zoo and such. However, it probably has no nightlife. But, the location of Toledo on the map makes it easy for one to travel by car to Chicago, Philly, Cleveland, and Detroit.

Thanks' for the insight. Since I only spent a day there when I interviewed I may go back for a second look before i make my decision, but I think I'll probably end up in New Orleans next year.

Hello everyone! I'm currently a first year at UT-CoM. Starting up anatomy at the moment (busy.), but if you have any questions there are many of us who are willing to help. UT is a great place, but like anything it comes down to individual scenerios. PM me or post on here and I'll try and help answer questions when I can. Peace!

Hello everyone! I'm currently a first year at UT-CoM. Starting up anatomy at the moment (busy.), but if you have any questions there are many of us who are willing to help. UT is a great place, but like anything it comes down to individual scenerios. PM me or post on here and I'll try and help answer questions when I can. Peace!

I was really impressed with UT as a school when I visited, but as I was saying to hopefulM.D., there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do, outside of studying, in Toledo. What do you guys do on the weekends or during any free time you may have during the week?

I was really impressed with UT as a school when I visited, but as I was saying to hopefulM.D., there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do, outside of studying, in Toledo. What do you guys do on the weekends or during any free time you may have during the week?

Hello. I definitely love the atmosphere at UT. As far as things to do, there are a lot of places that people go out, but I'm not a goer outer :) so I wouldn't be the best reference. I will say that there is not a whole lot of time to do that kind of stuff, so it's not as easy to get bored of what you do get time to do. Different groups do different things, too. I know a lot of us to movie nights and bike ride and such, and there are many events organized by groups on campus. From what I've gathered, there isn't much people like that you can't find. We even have a dodgeball team :)

Also, might be a good idea for you to look over the older threads. Though not EVERYTHING is accurate (because of the change to UT from MUO), it can be helpful. Here are the links:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=252638

There is also one for MCO in 2009, but it's kind of old. You can check it out too. Peace.

There's several places to go out on the weekends, but it's not the same as New Orleans would be. Of course there are very few places that offer what New Orleans offers. There are 5-10 or so clubs downtown that I know of and several more bars there as well. There are also several bars scattered throughout the city that med students frequent. When considering the immediate Toledo area there are about 75,000 college students (UT, BGSU, Owens CC, and the smaller private schools). When there are that many college students you can bet there will be sufficient nightlife. Also close (40 minutes) is Ann Arbor which has a pretty good nightlife as well.

There may very well be legitimate reasons to go to Tulane over Toledo, but in my opinion the increased nightlife in New Orleans isn't worth the extra $75,000-100,00 or so in debt.

Hey folks I'm another UT M1 just wanted to add my two cents. After a year in Washington DC (doing a masters) I was absolutely thrilled to be back in the Midwest for one thing, its dirt cheap and while it isn't New Orleans if you're bored it's your own fault (there are plenty of bars, restaurants and such to occupy your free time.) Besides if you are looking for a big city experience Detroit/Windsor, Cleveland, and Cinci are legitimate day trip possibilities and Chicago is a weekend trip (5 hours.)

I absolutely love UT's relaxed atmosphere, since we have a static grading scale there is no need for and thus is very little competition among your classmates and there is a lot of camaraderie between students. Hope to see you all next summer and feel free to keep sending those questions!

I'm a bioengineering undergrad at UT, so the MD/Ph.D program was a real plus for me. A new Ph.D in biomedical engineering is coming next year.

Question for current students: I heard something about president Jacobs saying that one of the classes had a pass rate on a USMLE test that was in the top two nationally. Also, I believe he said that a current student got the highest score in the nation. Is this accurate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that our 4th year class (so they took Step I in 2005) had a pass rate of 99% (national average is 94%) which placed us well within the top 10 in the country according to pass rate rankings. For mean Step I scores we were above average at a 218 or 219 (national average in the 214-216 range), and I would venture to guess we were in the 60th percentile area when looking at the mean score. The 2006 testing class had a ~95% pass rate and a 216 average. At least that's what the preliminary numbers. I think the final numbers come out late winter/early spring.

It is also true that we had the highest single score for the 2006 test (the third years) in the country. He scored a 273 which is almost unheard of.

This summer, construction will start on a student housing project on the Health Science campus. From the small article I read, the main focus is to keep the cost of housing reasonable and make it close to campus buildings.

It will take about 1 1/2 years to complete.

Hello. I am very fortunate to have few choices now and I just want to find out more about U of Toledo so that I can make my decision asap.

Overall, I was very impressed with this school and I would like to know more about clincal years during 3rd and 4th years.

Thanks in advance & Happy holidays!

I was born in Toledo, and spent most of my life there. I was accepted at MUO (back when it was that) but also some other schools, and I decided to go to OSU, so I'm here in Columbus now!

There are a lot of things to do in Toledo, but everything is very spaced out. Unfortunately there isn't a nice downtown area (avoid at all costs, unless going to a Mudhens game or to the library, which is newly remodeled and very nice).

Downtown is not a place to walk around and enjoy, but it does boast a modest nightlife. Mutt's is a nice bar you can go to, they have karaoke on Saturday nights, which I think is a blast. I was there two weekends ago actually! If you like to go dancing, there are a couple of clubs there. The Eclipse was my favorite...it is a little small, but it gets crowded and is fun. Over by the medical campus is one of my favorite bars, Doc Watson's. It is styled a bit like a pub, and they have live music on Friday and Saturday nights. Good appetizers too...We always used to go see Brian Bocian on Friday nights, he plays acoustic stuff like Jack Johnson, if you like that sort of thing.

Toledo has tons of restaurants. Check out Barry Bagel's for good sandwiches (in West Toledo), El Salto for cheap, good mexican food (in Maumee area, off Anthony Wayne trail), The Beirut has great lebanese food, it's also in West Toledo. I crave their hummus, there is no good hummus in Columbus that I can find. The Spaghetti Warehouse downtown has good and inexepensive Italian food.

Toledo also has a lot of malls, but the best one is Franklin Park Shopping Towne (or whatever they renamed it). Avoid the other ones, they are almost all closed down.

PM me if you have Q's about Toledo. I'll try to answer as best as possible.

Good luck everyone!

Hello,
Merry Christmas,
Can anyone that is their talk about the competition in the class and also what are the schedules of classes like, do you have a lot of class time or not?
Thanks

I´ll be at toledo as well.

Hello,
Merry Christmas,
Can anyone that is their talk about the competition in the class and also what are the schedules of classes like, do you have a lot of class time or not?
Thanks

Competition is fairly minimal. A lot of people help each other and we have a few online collaboration sites (a wiki and a group) where we share notes and questions/answers/files. The class is large, so basically there are a bunch of smaller groups that do a lot together, with some periodic inter-group collaboration. There are obviously people of different levels of skill in different areas and differing goals, so there's a nice spread. Overall, I have not met anyone that doesn't want a classmate to do well, and everyone wants to do well.

Class schedule varies by block. Block 1 (biochem) is 8-12 every day with some 1-3 classes a few times a week. Block 2 (anatomy) is 8-12 every day with 1-4 almost every day for lab. Attendance is not mandatory for almost all classes and they're recorded and put online so you can listen to them at home. Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays everyone!

I'm a bioengineering undergrad at UT, so the MD/Ph.D program was a real plus for me. A new Ph.D in biomedical engineering is coming next year.

Question for current students: I heard something about president Jacobs saying that one of the classes had a pass rate on a USMLE test that was in the top two nationally. Also, I believe he said that a current student got the highest score in the nation. Is this accurate?

Yes, I personally know the freak of nature that scored the highest in the nation. He's your typical wise-a$$ that doesn't appear to be interested in anything at all, but when asked a question gives you indepth statistics about everything under the sun. He also kicked my butt at beer pong. But that's a different story. Pretty cool/chill/non-gunner type of guy.

As for the life in Toledo. The addage that each group has there own thing to do is exactly right. If you like Parks, hiking and biking, Toledo has a ton to offer. Movies, yes, we have plenty of theaters. CHEAP HOUSING!!! Oh my god I live like a king on student loans. I have two bedroom three bathroom three story town house with a two car garage and a rockin' kitchen for get togethers, everything is hardwood oak. $875/month!!! Perks for living in an economically depressed region of the country. The patient base is also unlike many other parts of the country that aren't in the Rust Belt, so to speak.

If you're going to base your medical school career on what night clubs are available, than Toledo probably won't work. If you want to have your own apartment, and have a faculty that are very available and available at all hours (Dr. Chakraborty), than Toledo is probably a good place.

At any rate,

enough about that... hope all is well with everyone,

Regards,

-Salty

3rd year MD/PhD MCO--> MUOT--> UT-CoM--> ???

I just got accepted to UT today! I am really glad because I liked the school a lot when I went, just got a great vibe.

Is there a second day look here?

There was not an organized second-look day last year during my application; however, it was very easy to just email admissions and organize my own second-look. I came and met with some students and some financial aid people. I would certainly recommend taking a second look at any schools you are highly interested in attending.

Anyone care to comment on the differences/adv-dis of UT and Wayne State. I am trying to decide between the two schools. I live in the Detroit suburbs.​

I don't know anything about Wayne State, but I do remember seeing at least one big thread with that type of comparison last year. I'd recommend doing a search for it (at that point it was MUO, not UT). Good luck!

I'm an M2 at Toledo. I don't know much about WSU other than that it's in detroit and that it is a VERY large class (in the 280 range). There are 2 or 3 people that I know who chose UT over WSU. One of them is a good friend of mine. I don't know the reasons they chose UT over WSU, I just know they did. That doesn't help at all....I know.

One thing to consider if you're out-of-state is when you qualify for in-state tuition. Ohio is one year. I don't know what Michigan requires, but it would be worth looking into.

I am from michigan. I got a much better feeling about UT but I think Wayne is the place if you want to practice in michigan. i don't know how well UT matches in michigan.

You aren't going to have an advantage of matching in Michigan by going to either school in my opinion. The same holds true if you wanted an Ohio residency. Matching in residency is MUCH more closely linked to your step I score than what state you graduated from. We send several people every year to UMich for a range of specialties, but I don't think it's because we're 45 minutes from Ann Arbor. I'm sure there are more people that match in Michigan programs from WSU (just like there are more Toledo grads that match in Ohio), but it isn't because Michigan programs prefer WSU grads. It's simply because WSU grads are more likely to be from Michigan and decide to rank those programs higher in order to stay close to home. If you graduated from Toledo and want to go to Michigan to train then I think you'll have just as good of a chance coming from Toledo as you would have coming from WSU. And the reverse holds true as well. It's my impression that geography really doesn't matter much when it comes to matching. Board scores and rec letters are so much more important it's not even close.

Anyone care to comment on the differences/adv-dis of UT and Wayne State. I am trying to decide between the two schools. I live in the Detroit suburbs.​

I interviewed at both schools and here's what I think.

Wayne State is a lot bigger than UT in terms of class size and it is in urban setting. UT is about 10-15 mins away from downtown Toledo, thus resides in suburb area of toledo.
I think this setting "can" be important to some students as it changes your studying environment.

In wayne state, clinical training during 3rd and 4th year is supposed to be the best (ppl say you see more since its in detroit) and lots of 1st and 2nd year students i talked to were looking forward to it.
For UT, in my opinion, you will see as much as what you see in big cities since it takes care of most of cases in northwestern region of ohio.

If you are worried about getting into good residency program or certain specialty, I don't think it matters which school you go to.
Both schools have a good match list, sending a good amount of ppl to competitive field.

If I were you, I would go to Wayne State simply becuz it saves $$$.
Although UT is a lot cheaper than most of med schools, staying in michigan and paying in-state tuition for all 4 years would be cheaper than paying OOS tuition 1st year in ohio and in-state for next 3 years. Just my 2 cents.

Hope this helps.

an ortho surg or sports med department? I am wondering if it would be beneficial for me to go to a school that already has an established department in the fields (even though interests can change :) ) I am interested at this point.

thx

We have an amazing ortho program. In fact, it is arguably the strongest department in the whole institution (cardiology might beg to differ). They're actually building a new ortho center as we speak that is sitting between the health education building and Dowling Hall (it was the construction you saw on your interview tour....even though your tour guides may have told you that was the new College of Pharmacy, building it is NOT. The CofP building will be built in another 1-2 years). The ortho department is one of three program in the country to offer an orthopedic trauma fellowship, and evidently they get people shipped in from all over for orthopedic trauma.

When you say "sports med" do you mean ortho guys who operate on athletes or do you mean the "real" sports med subspecialty of Family Practice? Most don't realize that Sports Medicine physicians are most commonly family practice trained.

Sports medicine as viewed as a subspecialty ortho surgery should be strong since the ortho department is strong. Sports medicine as viewed as a subspecialty of family practice should also be viewed as being fairly strong but relatively new. Since the merger of UT and MUO last year, the College of Medicine faculty have taken complete control of the sports medicine services offered to the UT athletics department with is full array of Division I athletics. I have heard that the Family Practice Department is starting a sports medicine fellowship, but that could have just been rumors.

I meant sports med in relation to ortho...thanks for the info and sorry for the confusion. I think I'm pretty happy about the school except for the fact that it's in Toledo...However, I guess I'll be over that since I'll be hitting the books nonstop for like 4 years.

Toledo really isnt that bad, it has everything you will ever need, gas prices are dirt cheap, as is practically everything else. Not to mention if you want to get away for a weekend your'e 45 min from detroit, 1 hour away from Sandusky (and Cedar Point,) 90 min from Clevland, and a little over 3 hours from Cincinatti and Chicago.

Hi guys. I am 90% sure I will be at Toledo this august and I am so excited!!! :D

Does anybody know how long the break btwn MS2 & MS3 is? Is there enough time for board exam prep?

Oh.. and has anyone received a financial aid packet yet? just wondering.

Hi guys. I am 90% sure I will be at Toledo this august and I am so excited!!! :D

Does anybody know how long the break btwn MS2 & MS3 is? Is there enough time for board exam prep?

Typically Finals for MS2 end in early May. Rotations do not start until the very end of June. That is more than enough time for study and vacation.

I'm really anxious to post in this thread, but I've waited four weeks already with one more to go. I'm glad Feb. was a short month. C'mon Toledo!

Hey guys,

I just got into Toledo, really excited to attend as I loved the school and how friendly all the students and faculty were on my visit. Anyone know any good places to look to live for first years?

Thanks and looking forward to meeting everyone! :)

Someone on here asked earlier if UT has a Second Look weekend. I called them and the receptionist said that they dont. :(

To any Current UT students I wanted to ask 2 questions:

1. is there any support/advisor asssistance to help students navigate the match?
2. Do you guys have PBL? If so, how many hrs/week approximately?

Thanks!

Hi, ExKitty. I'm an MS1 at UT currently, so I haven't got any experience with the match yet, but I can tell you that we do have PBL. We have the actual class for one 2-hour session per week; obviously, doing the research for it takes some time outside of class.

Oh, and welcome to all the incoming first-years!

Anyone know any good places to look to live for first years?

A lot of students live a bit southwest of campus, nearer to the Maumee area. There are some decent apartments closer to campus too, of course. (I live in one, five minutes away!) The ones that are practically ON campus, however-- I'm sure you saw them when you interviewed-- tend to be less nice.

1. is there any support/advisor asssistance to help students navigate the match?

We currently don't have a mentorship/adviser program the first two years of school. However, once third year rolls around you are assigned a clinical faculty adviser that will help you in career decisions. Navigating the match (dean's letter, transcripts, etc) is handled primarily by the Office of Student Life. There's a staff of 3 or 4 that handle the student organizations and the match for 4th years.

There's a chance that you may be given an adviser during the first two years too. We don't have it now, but they have been wanting to add that to our program. I don't know if it will happen next year or in five years or ever at all.

Financial Aid question:

I have to sent a "Certificate of Citizenship." Do they just want a xerox of your passport? I've tried calling fin-aid office but have got no reply back yet.

I think xerox copy of either your passport or certificate for citizenship should be enough.

TheGalvaniFrog, Did you get a letter from them, requesting you to send a proof of your citizenship status? I got a letter telling me some of required paperworks, but it didn't say anything about verification for a citizenship. I am asking this becuz there was some kind of an error with my FAFSA and they could not confirm my citizenship status through social security department. Just wondering whether I should send it in or not...

Anyways... Good luck with the financial part of this application cycle. :)

I think xerox copy of either your passport or certificate for citizenship should be enough.

TheGalvaniFrog, Did you get a letter from them, requesting you to send a proof of your citizenship status? I got a letter telling me some of required paperworks, but it didn't say anything about verification for a citizenship. I am asking this becuz there was some kind of an error with my FAFSA and they could not confirm my citizenship status through social security department. Just wondering whether I should send it in or not...

Anyways... Good luck with the financial part of this application cycle. :)

I got two separate letters for financial aid. One contains the Title IX or whatever form and the regular fin aid form. The other is a "Verification Worksheet" and requires a "certificate of citizenship". Nothing mentioned any errors on FAFSA.

Their financial aid office seems less than responsive.

Hey everyone,
I just got accepted and am super excited! I was wondering if the school sends out a list of first years so as to help people find roomates. I am in California and won't really have a chance to get out their untill I move. Also are there any areas that a lot of students live in or any to specifically avoid? I read the maumee area reply (thank you) but just wanted to see if there are any extra suggestions.

Congratulations on your acceptance!! I am very excited to move to toledo this summer! Do you guys know when is good time to look for an apartment?