The University of Toledo Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any guys still looking for a roommate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you already settled for a 1BR apt at Glendale Village? Or did they mess you up?

Hey! Yes, they messed me up.. really bad.. haha
But also I had some personal problem which kinda delayed my decision to go to med school this year. (Hopefully I will survive...)
Anyways... now I found a roommate and a place to live so it's all good.
Hope you and your family are doing well and I will see you soon.

Hey guys just wanted to add some more information about banks, safety and gym access of areas.

First of all the most numerous bank in the area is 5th/3rd which also has a few branches in Kroger stores that stay open late (8 pm) and the one the school has an "offical relationship" is with Huntington.

As for safety as long as you stay west of campus you should be fine, east of campus gets dodgy but to the north you have the UT campus (and the area is exactly what you would expect around a college,) and then eventually Sylvania which is a nice neighborhood, west you have Maumee/Heatherdowns which is are very nice communities and ditto about Perrysburg to the south.

As a student not only do you get acess to the UT system of rec centers but you also get to use the YMCA/JCCs for free.

Finally as for tests and holidays, for some reason the school likes to schedule them together so get ready, with the exception of Christmas, New Years, and St. Patricks Day we had a test the day of or the day after every single holiday last year (even the obscure ones like Veterans Day) I dont know why that is but just get ready.

Finally as for tests and holidays, for some reason the school likes to schedule them together so get ready, with the exception of Christmas, New Years, and St. Patricks Day we had a test the day of or the day after every single holiday last year (even the obscure ones like Veterans Day) I dont know why that is but just get ready.

Sweet. Guess it's a good thing I'm staying close for Thanksgiving.

^I should have phrased that better, for Thanksgiving it was on that Monday after (ie after the break) and it was only a quiz, but it was the first grade you got in Anatomy so of course we all freaked out about it.

^I should have phrased that better, for Thanksgiving it was on that Monday after (ie after the break) and it was only a quiz, but it was the first grade you got in Anatomy so of course we all freaked out about it.

Well, I guess it's better than a test, but studying over Thanksgiving... :barf:

Guess that's going to be the norm now.

I'm OOS but I plan to get in state status next year. The car I currently drive officially belongs to my mother and I will be taking it to school with me. Does anyone know if I need to transfer it to my name so I'm not taking outside aid?

I'm OOS but I plan to get in state status next year. The car I currently drive officially belongs to my mother and I will be taking it to school with me. Does anyone know if I need to transfer it to my name so I'm not taking outside aid?

I think getting an Ohio driver's license, filing federal and state (OH) taxes next year and signing a lease in your name is enough to qualify you for state residency after one year. Having a car in your own name is not a requirement for residency and driving a borrowed car will not necessarily disqualify you. In fact, noone knows it's your mom's ride except you tell somebody.

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has begun the HIPAA training. I am not sure what to put for occupation/career track, there is nothing that comes close to matching the options shown in the power point presentation because that included "Medical Student". Just confused because it seems to customize the programs you need to watch based on what you select. Hope you guys are all enjoying the rest of summer and looking forward to meeting everyone.

edit: The HIPAA training is something sent to your Toledo e-mail address, if you use gmail you can set it up to retrieve mail from your toledo address. Here's some instructions if you're interested:
Log onto gmail.com
Click Settings in the top right
Click the accounts tab
Go to "Get mail from other accounts" and click "Add another mail account"
The server is "email.utoledo.edu" and I like to label the mail with something like "UTCOM"
Also make sure that it's working by sending a mail to your toledo address first and testing it.

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has begun the HIPAA training. I am not sure what to put for occupation/career track, there is nothing that comes close to matching the options shown in the power point presentation because that included "Medical Student". Just confused because it seems to customize the programs you need to watch based on what you select. Hope you guys are all enjoying the rest of summer and looking forward to meeting everyone.

edit: The HIPAA training is something sent to your Toledo e-mail address, if you use gmail you can set it up to retrieve mail from your toledo address. Here's some instructions if you're interested:
Log onto gmail.com
Click Settings in the top right
Click the accounts tab
Go to "Get mail from other accounts" and click "Add another mail account"
The server is "email.utoledo.edu" and I like to label the mail with something like "UTCOM"
Also make sure that it's working by sending a mail to your toledo address first and testing it.

I began my HIPAA training as well but I was able to enter 'medical students' as my career track. Don't know if there was a glitch in the program when you were using it but just wanted to let you know that I was able to get to medical students in the scrolldown.

Entering "medical students" is only possible on the HIPAA compliance section. It's not possible for the other two.

ah thanks guys, for some reason I thought we had to do the whole program. :laugh:

Does any of the upperclassmen lurking around know if UT has an AOA chapter? And if so, what are the membership requirements?

Just to let those of you who don't belong to facebook know that "we" will be gathering together tonight for "Meet and Eat" at Don Pablos (Mexican Restaurant) at 7:30pm.

So, who is coming?

Just to let those of you who don't belong to facebook know that "we" will be gathering together tonight for "Meet and Eat" at Don Pablos (Mexican Restaurant) at 7:30pm.

So, who is coming?

I replied to the Facebook post, too. I'll see you guys there!

Hello there, I am brand new to SDN and glad to be here, however, I am not sure if this thread is the place for this question/comment and chose to reply to you because you are an UT COM student:

I was an unsuccessful 2006 MD applicant (due to a slightly rocky MCAT) and have now chosen to join the MSBS Medical Sciences program at UT. It is specifically designed to strengthen MD applications and help students gain admission to UT COM, my first choice school. I was wondering if you are familiar with the program, and if so, do you have any idea the percentage of students who complete the MSBS MS program who actually end up attending UT COM? The website claims around 65%, but if you or any of your classmates have any insight into this route of acceptance, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!
Thanks so much!

I'm finishing the MSBS now, as a matter of fact. With my class, about 24/31 made it in, so that number is a hair low. If you've any questions about this beast of a program, drop me a line- I'd be happy to answer. :)

Dragging this up for the UT students...

Anybody live in Oak Hill Court? I'm looking to move, and the place looks ideal.

I did last year. It's definitely a good value, and I walked to school every day which I loved. The place isn't high class by any means, but it was safe enough and had the basic necessities. I lived in an efficiency for $325/mo before getting married; it was the perfect size for a "bachelor pad" while saving money. A few friends lived in 2 bedroom (a couple still do) and seem to be satisfied.

Peace.