The University of Toledo Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a current first year (only a few days to go!), I came because of the curriculum, the board pass rate, and the location (to be honest, by location I mean location w/in a city, not the city itself, I'm not the biggest fan of T-town). I was able to get an apartment literally against the border of campus, so I walked to class every day this year and loved it (made it feel like undergrad for me). Good exercise, save gas, and I only had to get up a little bit before class started. At a lot of the other schools I was accepted to, I would have been iffy about both living near campus and walking to class (safety, mostly). Peace.

Camel, would you mind sharing which apartment complex you chose to live in and how expensive rent is? Just wondering since I am now in the process of looking for a place to live in Toledo and I would really like to stay within walking distance of school, especially with gas prices being so high.

Members don't see this ad.

I linked the thread from last year's class (my class) earlier in the thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=252638

I'd definitely read through that for some of the advice there that might still be relevant.

I chose Oak Hill Court. It's nothing fancy (at all), but I'm a plain and simple kind of guy. There's no apartment more than $425 in the whole complex if I'm not mistaken. What I did was check out forrent.com and use the distance search. I searched w/in a certain distance of the address for UTCoM. Peace.

At least Toledo is close to other places, as a ND Grad and a roller coaster enthusiast my Alma mater and 3 amusement parks (all owned by the same company and all covered by one season pass :)) are less then 3 hours away. Also Detroit/Windsor, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Chicago are all day trips away from Toledo. Also there is nothing wrong with Toledo, the problem is there isn't much right with it either ;). I guess what Im saying is that Im ambivalent towards Toledo, I dont hate living here, Im happy with it, but Im not ecstatic with the situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is parking? Do you have to buy a parking permit?

I have a question for people who either already attend toledo or are familiar with the area. I am looking for housing online, but won't be able to visit in person until I move out there. I have been told to stay generally south and west of the campus, so I am trying to direct my search n that general direction. I found some nice things in the "old west end" though and was wondering how that area is. Also is the east of campus bad because its a bad neighborhood (dangerous?) or is it just more crowded and older buildings?

Another question for those who are familiar with Toledo area. Are there any asian grocery stores? like indian, chinese, etc.

I have a question for people who either already attend toledo or are familiar with the area. I am looking for housing online, but won't be able to visit in person until I move out there. I have been told to stay generally south and west of the campus, so I am trying to direct my search n that general direction. I found some nice things in the "old west end" though and was wondering how that area is. Also is the east of campus bad because its a bad neighborhood (dangerous?) or is it just more crowded and older buildings?

The Old West end has some very nice victorian homes but is probably 15 minutes to campus. The neighborhood is OK. East of campus housing is more than a mile away because of the research park area. Not dangerous-lower middle class. There are many apartment complexes within walking distance of campus, some nice, some questionable. Many people look in Maumee or west of campus along Glendale Ave. or Heatherdowns between Byrne and Reynolds Rd.

Another question for those who are familiar with Toledo area. Are there any asian grocery stores? like indian, chinese, etc.

The Asian Grocery and Far East Supermarket are both within ten minutes of campus on Reynolds Road.

How is parking? Do you have to buy a parking permit?

There are no parking fees, although it might be included in General Fees. You get a permit when you register. In general, there is plenty of parking, but it also depends on the time of day. It is all surface parking. Normally you should be able to park within a short walk of your classes.

In addition, there are 2 Indian food stores around/on Central Avenue, about 15 minutes away from campus. One of them, Deepam's, is also an Indian deli and is probably the best Indian food you're going to get in Toledo (the other Indian restaurants blow).

I'd also like to add my 2 cents about apartment complexes- I would strongly urge you to not live right on campus, unless you lack a car. And especially, don't live in Deerfield Run. Every year, 1st year students pick that as a place to live and the moving out rate is huge (disclaimer: I do know two people who have stayed there and will be staying there). It's not the safest of apartment complexes and it's pretty expensive for Toledo.

I lived in Lake View Shores Apartments for 2 years in Maumee. Wicked cheap (700 square feet for $415-435/month) and pretty safe. The management was great, also. More importantly, the surrounding area has tons of apartment complexes that are all decent bargains and fairly safe. I'm a big proponent of Maumee as a place to live in.

Good luck to you all in your search!

I'd also like to add my 2 cents about apartment complexes- I would strongly urge you to not live right on campus, unless you lack a car. And especially, don't live in Deerfield Run. Every year, 1st year students pick that as a place to live and the moving out rate is huge (disclaimer: I do know two people who have stayed there and will be staying there). It's not the safest of apartment complexes and it's pretty expensive for Toledo.

Some things to think about: Safety immediately around the campus (up against it on Alrington and on Glendale) isn't terrible. The Toledo police website has a good service where you can check crime by week and by location. When I checked that before moving in, the crime rate was pretty "reasonable," especially compared to other med schools that are downtown and such. Most of the crime is car-related and theft, I never saw any violent crime reported. That said, it could happen anywhere. Just be smart and be careful. I don't know if I'd bring a $50,000 car to a place around campus.

For those who like the idea of walking to class every day, I've done it all year this year and loved it. I would suggest that during the first 2 years there is a benefit to this, but the clinical years will require a lot of driving to other hospitals and AHEC sites so the benefit is lost. Might be one reason for the high move-out rates.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything, just making sure that you all have the most information possible when making your decisions. It is DEFINITELY true that there are cheaper, nicer places farther away (as compared to Deerfield). But you don't get much cheaper than Oak Hill (though it wouldn't qualify is nice).

If you have any questions, ask away. If any current UT student disagrees w/ anything in my post, please say so, I'm only posting what I'm familiar with and it may not match other people's experiences.

Hey, I am trying to decide which med school I should go to next year. I know that this is the last minute but I have to choose between Wayne State and the University of Toledo School of Medicine. I am heavily leaning toward Wayne State but Toledo has a nicer campus and is not in Detroit. But having said that, it is in Toledo. The cirriculum seems pretty comprable. Does anyone have any suggestions/ information that might help me make my decission?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I am trying to decide which med school I should go to next year. I know that this is the last minute but I have to choose between Wayne State and the University of Toledo School of Medicine. I am heavily leaning toward Wayne State but Toledo has a nicer campus and is not in Detroit. But having said that, it is in Toledo. The cirriculum seems pretty comprable. Does anyone have any suggestions/ information that might help me make my decission?

I debated whether or not to respond to you because I honestly don't know much about Wayne (and it'll seem a bit one-sided, didn't want to seem way biased), and what I do know has been hearsay. Given that information, what I have heard is: basically some stuff about the class size being huge and it being in a bad area and such. I have not confirmed any of this, and I assume you already are either aware of these things or have dismissed them to your satisfaction via fact or experience.

What I can tell you from my experience is that UTCoM is in a pretty good part of town, pretty open, green (ha, when the weather permits), and I would call the campus pretty safe. The class size it definitely not small, but we're a fairly close-knit group and everyone is at least familiar with the class members. The 1 on 1 attention from profs is variable by block and professor (obviously), but in anatomy it's pretty dang good and that's easily the hardest course of first year.

In any case, I had seen that no one responded to your request and thought I'd lend some info. Hopefully it was somewhat helpful; as I said, the only things I can speak about with certainty in this topic are UT-related; Wayne is all hearsay and I'd validate those statements before making any decisions either way.

Also, above all, check on board scores and match rates, especially in the fields which hold your interest. If Wayne has a big research lab in a field you love, might put that on the list of pros, vice versa.

Could someone on campus please talk to Admissions/GME??? and have them put up a 2007 list that includes where students matched? Thanx.

Here you go fellas.

http://hsc.utoledo.edu/depts/stuaff/pdf/Match_Summary_2007.pdf

BTW, I think the matchlist is pretty impressive.

I think DetroitRocket was talking about a match list that provides the location and specialty assignment every student received upon matching. We were all given such a detailed list for the 2006 matches along with the packet of information we received when we interviewed, but I don't think they post online the more detailed lists (only the basic one that you posted here). However, I have heard that they do have a detailed copy for viewing in the admissions office (which works fine for me since I only live 1 hour away, but doesn't help those who live as far as California).

And I do agree that the match lists for UTCOM are consistently very impressive.

So 4 people were unmatched this year? :(

Anyways, for those of you who are from OOS and fly to toledo, how do you guys get to toledo from detroit? cab? is there any public transportation available?

I was looking at both Oak Hill and Lake View Shore. For Camel, have you had any problems with the management? Any problem with heater, mold or anything like that? The price just sounds too good to be true. How much do you guys pay for heat/gas montly?

Officially accepted today May 16! What a Bitch of a process and what a relief!!!!

Anyways, for those of you who are from OOS and fly to toledo, how do you guys get to toledo from detroit? cab? is there any public transportation available?

No, everyone who wanted to match, matched. There are always a few people that don't enter residency training for several reasons (year off, entry into industry, etc).

There isn't a cheap way to get from DTW to Toledo. There are taxis, but they're pretty expensive to take. It seems to me that there is a huge business potential in transporting people from Toledo to DTW, but no one has taken it up. Check about flying into TOL. 90% of Toledo residents fly out of DTW, but sometimes you'll actually get cheaper fairs into TOL. If you have to rent a car or take a taxi to Toledo then you'll quickly burn through any savings that you had by flying into DTW instead of TOL.

I was looking at both Oak Hill and Lake View Shore. For Camel, have you had any problems with the management? Any problem with heater, mold or anything like that? The price just sounds too good to be true. How much do you guys pay for heat/gas montly?

My friends from OOS just ask us (their in-state friends) for rides; I've done a bit of back and forth from there. Sometimes they find cheap tickets out of Toledo (relatively). There might be a bus or train route, but it could also be expensive (check grayhound and amtrack).

Oak Hill's management is pretty good for the most part. It's a couple of nice ladies, and the maintenance people are great, very responsive, etc. The heat is electric, no problems w/ it, and no problems with mold (though the cabinets look to be a little water damaged in the back, so check that out for sure and make certain you're fine w/ it). They don't have any problems w/ things like pests, but there are these funky sun bugs that pop up from time to time when the sun actually does come out in Toledo. You find them outside, though, and they're harmless. If you're a Trekky at all, just think of tribbles and translate it to bugs. :)

All in all, I'm very happy w/ my decisions to date. My only issue right now is that my fiance will need a garage next year because she'll be driving to work at odd times (nurse.) and Oak Hill has no covered parkign option. It was fine for me since I walked. They do an OK job of snow plowing, but you are still (obviously) responsible for cleaning off your car and we had a decent bit of snow this past year.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Any of you guys looking for an apartment-mate? I'm lookin to rent a 2 bedroom and have 1 for myself.

Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to let you all know that I made a facebook group for the students who are seriously considering going to UT and entering the class of 2011... I thought I would let you all know so you can come and join...
The name of the group is University of Toledo College of Medicine Class of 2011. Hope to see many people joining!
Peace,
David

I am set on attending Toledo, barring some miracle out west, but I was wondering what the deposit fee was to hold a place in Toledo's entering class of 2007? I've written withdrawal letters from other schools, and I have seen how much money the other schools wanted me to deposit in their acceptance letters, yet I didn't find any amount listed on Toledo's letter.

Thanks yall.

Because there is no deposit I'm loving UT already :love:

BTW, where did everybody go? :smuggrin:

Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to let you all know that I made a facebook group for the students who are seriously considering going to UT and entering the class of 2011... I thought I would let you all know so you can come and join...
The name of the group is University of Toledo College of Medicine Class of 2011. Hope to see many people joining!
Peace,
David

Can you please post a link? My search turned up nothing! :smuggrin:

So I couldn't find the facebook group I think because it wasn't in a Global network, so I made a global group called: "UTCOM Class of 2011" which should come up on your group search (sorry shotcalla). If you are seriously considering going to UTCOM join the group.

Any first years already figure out where they're gonna live. I'm gonna try and make a trip out to Toledo in late june and was wondering where you all decided on to see if I like them. Let me know. How many people on here know that they are for sure going to UT next year?

Quick question for current UT students. I am seriously considering housing at the Ridge at Tibaron, off Airport Highway. I have a single lined up already and will be signing a lease very soon. I ran into a non-med student who lives in the complex and he said that the apartments generally seem very safe, but that a few months back, 2 cars were broken into. The neighborhood seems very quiet, but the open stairways concern me ever so slightly. Have you heard any complaints regarding safety at the Ridge from med students who live there?

Thanks! And see you all soon!

So whats everyone doing with there summer before med school?
David

I'm travelling the world before school starts.

Anyone know what the average cost of utilities is at places like Country Club apts.

I'm deciding between them and Heather hills.

I withdrew from my other acceptance for Toledo. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys at Toledo.

I can't wait for med school to start so I can get away from highly competitive undergrad environment... please tell me Toledo isn't competitive.. is it?

Need sleep. I've been working on the same stupid biochem lab report for ages.

From what I hear Toledo isn't competitive, the grading system is pretty chill, and people seem to help each other out.

Been working for the past 6 months so im just gonna do literally nothing for 2 months before school and relax. what about you david?

So whats everyone doing with there summer before med school?
David

lol, I am going to be a counselor at a Christian summer camp for kids on Kelleys Island, which is a lil east of Toledo and in Lake Erie... near to Sandusky i think... its called Camp Patmos... and they do a lot of water sports there... like boating, tubing, wakeboarding, kayaking, canoeing, water skiing, etc... so it should be a fun experience... :) and that should take me right up to the beginning of med school... lol

Hey guys =) Just accepted this week! I'm terribly excited. Beyond the nice people and the excellent facilities, UT has the most absolutely beautiful and modern campus I've ever been to. I'm still debating between Toledo and one more place but I want to make my decision within two days so I don't hold a spot that someone else could use.

I want to join facebook but it asked me to enter a school address, and I don't have a UT email address yet--is that necessary to join facebook (please forgive me, I'm of the friendster generation).

I had a few questions that I posted in another thread.. was just wondering if someone could help me answer them:

1. Does anyone know the residency statistics for kids from California? E.g... do most people who are from California end up getting good residencies in California? I looked at the 2006 match list and it didn't seem like that many returned to Cali.. but 2007 seems like a lot of people returned to Cali.
2. Is there any shuttle service to the airport?
3. How reliable is the bus service there, especially in the winter season?
4. Does anyone know of any apartment complexes that have bus stops close by? I'm also looking for complexes with washer/dryer in unit.
5. Is class mandatory? If you need to miss just one day every couple months for travel home, will this present a problem? I heard you have to get these days signed off by the Office of Student Affairs.
6. Is there some sort of airport shuttle that runs from the campus to the airport? Um..this is slightly sketch but is it possible to take the free shuttle that runs from the Toledo Hilton? What time does class usually let out on Fridays?
7. Does anyone have last year's exam schedule?

Thanks so much and congratulations everyone!! Take care.

Hey guys =) Just accepted this week! I'm terribly excited. Beyond the nice people and the excellent facilities, UT has the most absolutely beautiful and modern campus I've ever been to. I'm still debating between Toledo and one more place but I want to make my decision within two days so I don't hold a spot that someone else could use.

I want to join facebook but it asked me to enter a school address, and I don't have a UT email address yet--is that necessary to join facebook (please forgive me, I'm of the friendster generation).

I had a few questions that I posted in another thread.. was just wondering if someone could help me answer them:

1. Does anyone know the residency statistics for kids from California? E.g... do most people who are from California end up getting good residencies in California? I looked at the 2006 match list and it didn't seem like that many returned to Cali.. but 2007 seems like a lot of people returned to Cali.
2. Is there any shuttle service to the airport?
3. How reliable is the bus service there, especially in the winter season?
4. Does anyone know of any apartment complexes that have bus stops close by? I'm also looking for complexes with washer/dryer in unit.
5. Is class mandatory? If you need to miss just one day every couple months for travel home, will this present a problem? I heard you have to get these days signed off by the Office of Student Affairs.
6. Is there some sort of airport shuttle that runs from the campus to the airport? Um..this is slightly sketch but is it possible to take the free shuttle that runs from the Toledo Hilton? What time does class usually let out on Fridays?
7. Does anyone have last year's exam schedule?

Thanks so much and congratulations everyone!! Take care.

From what I know you don't have to go to class, and classes are recorded (audio only) and available to students. I've never heard of this signing off bussiness but maybe only for PBL or other lab type classes (current students do you agree?). Im planning on being gone a few days every month too and i dont think it will be an issue at all from what i've been told.

To get back into cali from a place like ohio or any other non-cali place is tough, but it really depends on what you want to specialize in. i know people in this year's class who had no problem getting back into cali for primary care specialties and my cousin did the same from Toledo some time ago. So no matter where you are in my opinion unless you're at a better ranked school as long as youre not in cali for med school it will be tough to get back in, but doable depending on your specialty and your scores etc.

Thanks Regulatero. I was confused because I talked to admissions today and they said you have to get signed off by the OSA for days you need to miss, and that those will count as "excused absences." That, coupled with the sign in sheet I saw outside of class duirng my interview made me a little worried. Hopefully it won't be a problem. I am talking to a M2 that admissions put me in touch with tonight, and I'll let you know what she says.

She is from California too so hopefully she can shed a little light on residencies too. I looked at the 2006 match and it looks great, and Sandy Hassell said 9 people got back to Cali for the 2007 match even though the list is not up yet. I agree with you, that is hard but depending on scores doable.. that's great to hear that you know so many people who had great experiences. I am worried because standardized tests have not always been my strong suit.. plus I know they are making a big push to keep people in Ohio for residency though
(http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061022/OPINION02/610220315/-1/OPINION).
RegulateRo, are you from Cali too?

I also asked her about academic support, and she says there is free tutoring available if needed. That's always good to know..

Anyone who has other ideas about traveling/class being mandatory/bus service in Toledo please let me know..

Thanks again!

From what I know you don't have to go to class, and classes are recorded (audio only) and available to students. I've never heard of this signing off bussiness but maybe only for PBL or other lab type classes (current students do you agree?). Im planning on being gone a few days every month too and i dont think it will be an issue at all from what i've been told.

To get back into cali from a place like ohio or any other non-cali place is tough, but it really depends on what you want to specialize in. i know people in this year's class who had no problem getting back into cali for primary care specialties and my cousin did the same from Toledo some time ago. So no matter where you are in my opinion unless you're at a better ranked school as long as youre not in cali for med school it will be tough to get back in, but doable depending on your specialty and your scores etc.

I might have missed mention of this on my interview day, but what is the new glass building under construction on campus?

Hey guys.
I just came back from Toledo for apt hunting. It is little bit early to look for apt but I am from California and this is the only time frame I can visit there so yea...
I've visitied about 10 apartments and if you guys have any questions on apartment or anything, just PM me or post here and I will try to give you guys my opinion.
Although I didn't get to see Camel, definitely check out Oak Hill Court if $$$ is a big issue for you and if you want to walk to campus. It was decent.
Anyways... Good luck to those who are still waiting & I hope to see you guys soon. Have a great weekend.

I might have missed mention of this on my interview day, but what is the new glass building under construction on campus?

PRESS RELEASE:
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery is pleased to announce that construction has begun on a $5.8 million outpatient Orthopaedics Center on the Health Science campus of the University of Toledo. This new facility will provide patients with easy, convenient access to postoperative care and checkups, says Dr. Nabil Ebraheim, professor and Chair of Orthopaedic Surgery.

The new facility, which is being constructed atop the "bullnose" portion of Dowling Hall, will include 24 exam rooms; radiology and imaging capabilities; physician and nurse work spaces; patient registration and waiting areas; urgent care, cast, and procedure rooms; a skills lab; and conference and physical therapy areas. The building was designed to have easy access to the George Isaac Minimally Invasive Surgery Center, where patients have access to minimally invasive surgical procedures that allow them to be discharged on the same day.

Expanding Orthopaedic care is part of the University Medical Center's larger, continuing goal of strengthening its key featured clinical services lines that include cancer, cardiovascular diseases, neurology, trauma, and transplantation. The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery has added three new faculty members in the last year.

UTMC has specialists in the areas of fractures, injuries and problems of the spine, shoulder, elbow, hips, knees, foot and hands, as well as arthritis and sports medicine. The center will be supported by specialists in pain management, rehabilitation, and occupational medicine.

Hey guys, Im a new M2 and just wanted to give you a heads up when it comes to class attendance:

1. PBL takes attendance, which happens every Wed at 8
2. There is about 6-8 required FCP classes and mock interviews sprinkled throught the year
3. Skipping Anatomy lab (Nov-March) which happens practically every day during block two isnt "required" per say but skipping it is not fair to your lab partners and CBC (course director) has an amazing memory and will pull you aside if you miss too many.

Other then those and maybe 2-3 core class times (anounced weeks in advance) there is no attendance taken.

Hey everyone, I just got accepted to MUOs SMP--the MSBS/MS in Medical Sciences. I hope to see you all there next year and hopefully years to come :)

Do any of you know more about this program and successes with it? Thanks!!!

Thanks Touchdown for the concrete answers--I really appreciate it. I generally hate missing class but I was concerned about being able to come back to Cali once or twice a semester if needed, leaving Friday and coming back Sunday-- but from your reply it looks like I might be fine (at least until November when anatomy starts). But even then, if any Cali people are interested, it seems there's a direct Northwest flight (nonstop!!) from DTW to SFO, leaving Friday at 7 PM (arriving SFO 9 PM) and then coming back Sunday (12:45-8 PM), for about $320 rt.

Hallm actually replied to a lot of questions in the other thread (thanks Hallm!)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407683

So.. I accepted the offer today! I am so so so unbelievably excited. Nice people, beautiful campus and facilities, great teaching, and supportive staff at Toledo are the reasons I am turning down the other school I was accepted at. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hey guys, Im a new M2 and just wanted to give you a heads up when it comes to class attendance:

1. PBL takes attendance, which happens every Wed at 8
2. There is about 6-8 required FCP classes and mock interviews sprinkled throught the year
3. Skipping Anatomy lab (Nov-March) which happens practically every day during block two isnt "required" per say but skipping it is not fair to your lab partners and CBC (course director) has an amazing memory and will pull you aside if you miss too many.

Other then those and maybe 2-3 core class times (anounced weeks in advance) there is no attendance taken.

Hey guys,

I just signed a lease to Orchard Lakes apartments today for a move in date of mid July. Really great apartments and great prices if anyone is looking, utilties are included and it's around $650. Is anyone else living in there? Hope everyone is enjoying their summer and looking forward to meeting everyone!

If you are talking about the Orchard Lakes just off Bancroft, you're in a nice part of town...really safe. I would have problems living there, though, because one of the city's best ice cream shops is right at Bancroft and McCord. Ice cream everyday isn't too healthy, or so my doctor tells me.

I was seriously thinking about the Ridge on Airport Highway, but now it's between Fox Chase Apartments (15 mins from campus), the Ridge (10 mins) and buying a condo (also 10 mins). If anybody has input on renting vs. buying (with the help of parents making a down payment), please share.