***The Official Western Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats!! Did you interview pre December?

Thanks!! Yeah, I did

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just want to let you know my interview day experience a few days ago was probably the most relaxed, enjoyable, informative, and honest events I have ever had in an academic setting. The students and faculty are incredibly friendly and genuinely excited/happy about their program. The College of Dental Medicine has a strong and meaningful mission and is run by people that really care for their patients and colleagues. I hope I am fortunate enough to hear some good news from them! :)

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Called today & got a pretty generic response - no more acceptances as of late.. & they will be meeting again end of February after the last interview date to confirm acceptances

Looks like I won't be getting an interview from them then if Feb is last date.

Just want to let you know my interview day experience a few days ago was probably the most relaxed, enjoyable, informative, and honest events I have ever had in an academic setting. The students and faculty are incredibly friendly and genuinely excited/happy about their program. The College of Dental Medicine has a strong and meaningful mission and is run by people that really care for their patients and colleagues. I hope I am fortunate enough to hear some good news from them! :)

This makes me happy to hear with my interview coming up Feb 4th :) Best of luck to you! I've been a bit nervous and am trying to prepare for the interview itself. What are your thoughts on the interview? Thanks!

This makes me happy to hear with my interview coming up Feb 4th :) Best of luck to you! I've been a bit nervous and am trying to prepare for the interview itself. What are your thoughts on the interview? Thanks!
I'm glad it made you feel better :) It's literally just a conversation. Not an interview whatsoever (at least in my experience). Just be able to speak about why you want to go into this field/school and maybe some important or unique experiences you've had while being a pre-dent. Hope this helps!

I'm glad it made you feel better :) It's literally just a conversation. Not an interview whatsoever (at least in my experience). Just be able to speak about why you want to go into this field/school and maybe some important or unique experiences you've had while being a pre-dent. Hope this helps!
I feel like mine was so nerve wrecking compared to my other interview.. just felt uncomfortable the whole time because of the tone and body language of the interviewer(s) from the beginning - seemed nervous, so it made me nervous too! and I'm usually not nervous. I hope they consider my application once more, really is my top choice school. I was trying to call and express interest but seemed like a default response..:(

It truly depends on who interviews you that day..@alecgaro was lucky he interviewed with an awesome faculty member :) make sure you prepare well, but do not have generic answers you memorized. They can sense that and be confident in your answer even if you sound a little unsure at first. They try to psych you out sometimes but just stay cool, calm, and collected.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like mine was so nerve wrecking compared to my other interview.. just felt uncomfortable the whole time because of the tone and body language of the interviewer(s) from the beginning - seemed nervous, so it made me nervous too! and I'm usually not nervous. I hope they consider my application once more, really is my top choice school. I was trying to call and express interest but seemed like a default response..:(

Me too! My interview felt so serious and considering it was my first interview (those nerves got to me) for a school I really want to get into, I just hope they give us both a chance. *crosses fingers*

Me too! My interview felt so serious and considering it was my first interview (those nerves got to me) for a school I really want to get into, I just hope they give us both a chance. *crosses fingers*
Don't stress about it too much. I have heard plenty of times for people this cycle and before telling me they thought they thought they did awful, responded nervously, had very serious interviewers, etc. but at the end of the day they got accepted.. And this includes WesternU. As long as you responded honestly that is all that matters!

I felt the same way! My interviewers were drilling me with questions and they barely smiled! They looked very uninterested in me. I felt so bad after my interview. When I got home I literally broke down :sorry:

That is their way of trying to psych you at and not give feedback. I think it is their method of trying to see how you do under pressure :) no matter what be confident in your answer!! And you'll be just fine, I promise. Good luck all, I hope to see you on the other side in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt the same way! My interviewers were drilling me with questions and they barely smiled! They looked very uninterested in me. I felt so bad after my interview. When I got home I literally broke down :sorry:

I'm sorry to hear that :( I've heard that is a tactic some interviewers use as dentalgem524 said, and I've heard of MANY people getting accepted when they feel as if they did horrible. I wish you the best of luck!
When you say they drilled you with questions, would you say they were a variety of questions about you, healthcare, ethics, pretty much anything can be thrown your way?

I'm sorry to hear that :( I've heard that is a tactic some interviewers use as dentalgem524 said, and I've heard of MANY people getting accepted when they feel as if they did horrible. I wish you the best of luck!
When you say they drilled you with questions, would you say they were a variety of questions about you, healthcare, ethics, pretty much anything can be thrown your way?
I only had the questions "tell us about yourself" and "why western" I just feel like maybe I talked a lot and I just don't remember like the little questions but I don't know my voice might have been shaky a bit. The students were saying take control of the convo and I feel like maybe I talked toooo much. Idk hoping I didn't completely bash myself if I was on some fence & I had most of my questions answered so I didn't have too much to ask at the end and I said a really weird comment at the end about professional attire over scrubs. NERVES.

I only had the questions "tell us about yourself" and "why western" I just feel like maybe I talked a lot and I just don't remember like the little questions but I don't know my voice might have been shaky a bit. The students were saying take control of the convo and I feel like maybe I talked toooo much. Idk hoping I didn't completely bash myself if I was on some fence & I had most of my questions answered so I didn't have too much to ask at the end and I said a really weird comment at the end about professional attire over scrubs. NERVES.

Yea I had 7-8 questions :/ I was told to answer them concisely and not take too long for each question or go off topic and that's what I did. I guess it just truly depends your luck of the draw that day

Most of the questions were about me and then they would ask more questions based on my answers. They also asked some scenario questions like, "Tell us a time where you had to deal with blah blah blah."

I'm sure they understand that most everyone gets nervous! I'm sure you did just fine! Don't worry about it too much. And thanks for the info!

Rejected without interview.....
oGPA: 3.54 sGPA: 3.51
AA: 23 TS: 24 PAT: 20
Really wanted to go here....

Rejected without interview.....
oGPA: 3.54 sGPA: 3.51
AA= 23 TS = 24
Really wanted to go here....
Also rejected w/o interview. I had a lot of hopes attending WesternU. I used to send them monthly updates and hear good comments. sad :(

Rejected w/o interview. Bummer.

rejected, but at this point, not really caring since I already secured an acceptance OOS :)

It's been quiet. Anyone know if they're still sending out invites for the February interviews?

I hope they are :( I still haven't heard back.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if there is already a fb page for 2021?

Is there a current student who can share their experience and tell me more about the program? Or anyone that know a lot about the school. I'm deciding between schools and i feel like I don't know much about the program.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a current student who can share their experience and tell me more about the program? Or anyone that know a lot about the school. I'm deciding between schools and i feel like I don't know much about the program.

I would like more info too. I'm deciding between schools as well!

Got an interview a few days ago for Feb 4th .

Reactions: 5 users
I am deciding between schools and would like more info also...

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pop in here to get to a chance to meet those who are coming in and encourage those who are still waiting to hear back. I'm a second year at WesternU. Although dental school is tough, I feel very comfortable and thoroughly believe the faculty and staff do their best for us to succeed. They are very receptive to formative feedback and curriculum changes occur fairly quickly based on our critiques. That being said, our program focuses on the development of the clinician via community involvement. We are in sim drilling by the second week. Classes are progressive in nature, and they're always looking for new ways to enhance our learning. The DMD 2018's had a 100% NBDE Part 1 pass rate (attempt one). The campus environment is extremely friendly and majority if not all are generally happy to be there. ASDA is very strong on our campus and are always looking for ways for students to get involved in learning and empowerment outside the classroom. WesternU is not too far from LA, OC, Disneyland, beaches, Disneyland, snow, and Disneyland. You can really balance your life outside of school.

As for those who are still waiting. I just have one important thing to say. You are not alone. WesternU seems to accept students based on experience not so much on numbers. My class is filled with a ton of non-traditional students who have worked and explored masters degrees before being admitted. Majority of us had to apply more than once to hear back from schools. Find out your weaknesses and use this extra time to strengthen them. We have a robust Pre-dental program and are always encouraging predent involvement so that we can provide you with mentors to help you make "downtime" decisions and look over applications. Look out for opportunities to visit our campus and get to know the students. Get our emails and info. We love helping you get to where you need to be. We all were in your position.

Whew that was long, but I really hope it helps.

Marc

Reactions: 6 users
I need help deciding between Western and OHSU. There is a lot I like about each school, but I'm really confused. Does anyone have advice or more insight on theses schools? For those that are current students, what are your thoughts about the school and those making decisions right now, what are you guys considering?

Hi Marc! I'm highly interested in this school and I reaaaaaaally want to go here but I was wondering about residencies after graduation. Do you happen to have an idea as to how many graduating students go into specialties afterwards? Specifically ortho.

Please and thank you! And I greatly appreciate you popping in, boosting our morale and giving us some info on the school!! :happy:

Hi Marc! I'm highly interested in this school and I reaaaaaaally want to go here but I was wondering about residencies after graduation. Do you happen to have an idea as to how many graduating students go into specialties afterwards? Specifically ortho.

Please and thank you! And I greatly appreciate you popping in, boosting our morale and giving us some info on the school!! :happy:

Hey! Over the years the match rates have been constantly high. I'm not quite sure of the stats, but pedo and ortho have always been strong. Our community sites are very pedo oriented and since that and ortho disciplines go hand in hand, applicants turn in pretty solid resumes.

Nice thing is that we don't have a residency program at the school. Hence, there is no hierarchy in regards to which patient you get to see. You'll get a lot of experience here

Does anyone know if they have any remaining interview dates? I know their last interview is in February, but has it happened yet?

Does anyone know if they have any remaining interview dates? I know their last interview is in February, but has it happened yet?
Last interview is this Saturday on Feb 11th. I was there last Saturday on the 4th. The Dean or Dr. Turchi said that the following Saturday is our last interview that we are having.

Last interview is this Saturday on Feb 11th. I was there last Saturday on the 4th. The Dean or Dr. Turchi said that the following Saturday is our last interview that we are having.
I called and they said that it's this Friday, how odd! Maybe they have 2?

Did anyone get another preview day email? :( I got super nervous for a split second until I noticed what it was

Hey! Over the years the match rates have been constantly high. I'm not quite sure of the stats, but pedo and ortho have always been strong. Our community sites are very pedo oriented and since that and ortho disciplines go hand in hand, applicants turn in pretty solid resumes.

Nice thing is that we don't have a residency program at the school. Hence, there is no hierarchy in regards to which patient you get to see. You'll get a lot of experience here

Okay, that sounds awesome!! Thank you again! :happy:

Not many graduates go into specialty but whoever applies receives full support from the faculty. Every year we have students matching into peds, ortho and oral surgery. We have students going into other specialties as well.
It has been awhile but I assume nothing has changed.

I called and they said that it's this Friday, how odd! Maybe they have 2?

I just interviewed yesterday and they said that it was their last day, So you are correct Friday was the last day of interviews.

Goodluck with decisions y'all! Peep this video i did for DMD 2020.

Reactions: 4 users
Are they sending out more acceptances today?? I'm getting really anxious and nervous! :nailbiting:

Status
Not open for further replies.