***The Indiana University Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was your application complete and what're your stats?
My application was complete 7/1/2016. Stats: GPA 3.39. DAT 20AA/19PAT/19TS/22RC. This is my third time applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you who interview this week, best of luck! Hope you all will be able to give us later interviewers some good feedback

Yay!!! So excited =)

Notification date: 9/16
Method of notification: Email
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/5
Application complete date: e-submitted 7/26
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/RC/any section below a 17): 20/21/22/19/None

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone one knows what's the accepetence/interview rate is for OOS

Interview #1 :D
Residency: WI
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/22
Application on Hold (Because of incorrect letter of recommendation formatting): 8/1-8/25 :(:oops::eek:
Application complete date: 8/26

Just got an interview invite via email!! I'm OOS. Anyone else? The dates they gave me to choose from were 10/4, 10/5, 11/1, 11/2.
I JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW AS WELL! OOS! I am aiming for October 4/5 hopefully the 4...but my AADSAS still says received/under review. It hasn't changed to interview yet

Hi! does it matter if we interview earlier pre-december in October or November. How much of a difference does it make?

Like do admissions come together and the end of the week to choose applicants they want to offer acceptance to or do they come together at the end of each month? :) any help would be appreciated.
Hey I looked through the 2020 acceptance thread and many got interviews and acceptances in spring and many of the pre-December interviewees were wait listed. So, if IUSD continues the pattern, then I would assume the same could happen and you can still have a fair shot if you get interview post Dec

does anyone know if interviews are open or closed file this year?
interview is wednesday!!! <3<3

Open file I'm pretty sure. However they won't talk about GPA/DAT. If you made it to the interview you have met their requirements for GPA/DAT they will look at everything else on your app in the interview.

Anyone one knows what's the accepetence/interview rate is for OOS

From entering Fall 2014 stats (so perhaps could be different now), they interviewed 137/1230. Out of those 137, 34 were accepted, and all 34 enrolled.

Does anyone know if the afternoon interviews really do end at 4:30 or is that just a general time they say? From 11-4:30 seems like a lot of time allocated for an interview session, etc..

I am just trying to plan my departure schedule since I have an exam the following day.

From entering Fall 2014 stats (so perhaps could be different now), they interviewed 137/1230. Out of those 137, 34 were accepted, and all 34 enrolled.
This is less than what I expected, I thought it would be around 50%

Yay!!! So excited =)

Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/5
Application complete date: e-submitted 7/26
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/RC/any section below a 17): 20/21/22/19/None
what's your GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just scheduled by interview for 11/2! Is it bad to take that late of an interview? I'd have to move multiple exams to make either of the October ones

Finally showing me some love...

Interview #5

School: Indiana
Notification date: 9/19
Method of notification: email
Residency: IN
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/24
Application complete date: e-submitted 6/2
GPA Verified 6/16
GPA (science, overall) sGPA: 3.74 oGPA:3.71
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): AA 19 TS 18 PAT 21 RC 22. None Below 17

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my interview confirmation! October 5th at 3:10 :eek: Should I be nervous?

Interview on Oct. 4 :) OOS! Very excited

Just got my interview confirmation! October 5th at 3:10 :eek: Should I be nervous?
No you will do great! At this point they just want to assess your ability to communicate, see how you hold yourself, and if you are truly interested in Dentistry! All things I'm sure you have in the bag! Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interview on Oct. 4 :) OOS! Very excited
Good luck!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
anyone know what time the interview ends? I know it says 4:30 for afternoon session but are we likely get out early?

Interviewed today! Love that school! First time in Indy and it was a pleasure. My advice; just be yourself! Everyone was super friendly and it absolutely felt like a genuine and positive environment to be in.

Hey I looked through the 2020 acceptance thread and many got interviews and acceptances in spring and many of the pre-December interviewees were wait listed. So, if IUSD continues the pattern, then I would assume the same could happen and you can still have a fair shot if you get interview post Dec
ok I looked through it too, looks like they give everyone a fair chance of interview regardless if you are pre-dec or post-dec. Most of the ppl getting accepted on Dec 1 were OOS applicants who interviewed. Most of the acceptances for the upcoming class was in March and after though... pretty interesting. SO NO ONE PANIC! lol Indiana seems legit and fair..doesn't matter if you choose the later interview date if pre-dec ;)

PinkTooth245 on 11/30/15:

"Sorry didn't mean to freak anyone out! (I have an anatomy test in like an hour....) So I interviewed second day of their interview and had a post-interview like everyone else with Dr. Peterson. She said you will be "updated" on your application around December first which is MOST likely be a denial or a deferral. She said DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED by a deferral because they do most of their acceptance in MARCH. She spec. said that they wait to make most decisions until after spring interviews because they want to give all their interviewers a chance.

I am an in-state and have 2 very good friends that attend IU currently. One who received AMAZING DAT scores and very high grades (I am talking a 30 on ochem, no lie...) and another who had a lot of experience on their application. Experience was accepted in March and amazing dat was accepted in April. Both say that 95% of their class was notified in or after March. The only ones really accepted in December were some OOS students.

Also during my interview the two students on the student panel said the same exact thing ^^^ Not many acceptances until March. One guy said he found out in December but he was from NY

If anyone gets an acceptance tomorrow, Congratulations! But if your status changes do not give up hope!!"

They can't accept you until after December 1st

They're not allowed to accept you until after December 1st.... right?
Nope..all universities have an agreement where they can't notify applicants before that date. Except I hear there is like one or two schools that do, but I cant remember which schools they were. :/

No you will do great! At this point they just want to assess your ability to communicate, see how you hold yourself, and if you are truly interested in Dentistry! All things I'm sure you have in the bag! Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words and encouragement :smuggrin: I hope that you hear back soon if you haven't already!

Anyone knows that IU give soft rejection in any forms before December?

Good Luck to everyone who has upcoming interviews at IUSD!! I had mine yesterday 9/21- AM session.

Interview tips:
1.) Don't be nervous! I know its hard not to be but really let yourself shine. You get to walk around and have a tour before your interviews so use that time to shake off the nerves.
2.) Wear comfortable shoes! You will be walking, not too much but enough to make your feet hurt if you aren't in ok shoes.
3.) Be able to be concise and consistent since you have two 15 minute interviews back to back (5 min break in-between). Time goes by fast!
4.) Come with questions, you get to meet current students and they are willing to answer anything.

Good Luck to everyone who has upcoming interviews at IUSD!! I had mine yesterday 9/21- AM session.

Interview tips:
1.) Don't be nervous! I know its hard not to be but really let yourself shine. You get to walk around and have a tour before your interviews so use that time to shake off the nerves.
2.) Wear comfortable shoes! You will be walking, not too much but enough to make your feet hurt if you aren't in ok shoes.
3.) Be able to be concise and consistent since you have two 15 minute interviews back to back (5 min break in-between). Time goes by fast!
4.) Come with questions, you get to meet current students and they are willing to answer anything.
Thanks for the reminding! When do u hear back from them? Next month?

Thanks for the reminding! When do u hear back from them? Next month?

Not until December or even March. :sleep:If you interview before December you will get an email on December 1st from IUSD with your status. It can say yes, no, or deferred. If deferred you will hear back in March. I believe most if not all schools can't contact you with a decision before that date (Dec. 1st). It was a date chosen by the state.

Best of luck!!:highfive:

anyone know what time the interview ends? I know it says 4:30 for afternoon session but are we likely get out early?
No you will not get out early. So far what I have seen they have gotten out at 4;30 or even a little after.

Interviewed today. Very casual and helpful atmosphere. Interviews were genuine and they were just trying to get to know you as an applicant. Half open file, so interviewers don't know your GPA and DAT.

Interviewed today. Very casual and helpful atmosphere. Interviews were genuine and they were just trying to get to know you as an applicant. Half open file, so interviewers don't know your GPA and DAT.

Is there an ethical essay question?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've been told it's not an essay, but more of a writing "exercise". Both students that I know who go there (D1 and D3) said their topics weren't very great to write about so be prepared for that, their advice was to just simply answer it to the best of your ability and make it make sense.

It was a complex writing prompt but not about ethics. There was 10 minutes to write your answer. It was regarding your responsibilities and obligations to community and society.

Really? Are you sure? I thought it was an open file interview. I did bad in one of my upper level undergrad chem classes...like failed it, and had to retake it....and honestly the only reason I did so bad was because I didn't understand anything. Didn't understand the teacher, the material and I feel like during the interview I will be pushed about this weakness in my app. So, my question is were the interviewers hard on you in terms of weakness in your app?

when was your app complete and what are your stats?
I completed my app in late June... Can't remember the exact date maybe like 20...my stats arent that high due to my undergrad but I have a SMP masters degree where I got 3.8. Overall GPA is 3.02. DAT everything above 20 except orgo

Really? Are you sure? I thought it was an open file interview. I did bad in one of my upper level undergrad chem classes...like failed it, and had to retake it....and honestly the only reason I did so bad was because I didn't understand anything. Didn't understand the teacher, the material and I feel like during the interview I will be pushed about this weakness in my app. So, my question is were the interviewers hard on you in terms of weakness in your app?

If you were selected for an interview it means your academic credentials are competitive. I wouldn't focus too much on one poor grade if I were you.

The interview was in fact half-closed file. The only specific-to-you questions you may be asked will be in regards to shadowing, research, or extracurriculars on your app. One of my interviewers was a microbiologist and immunologist so they asked me about my research. In general the questions are open-ended by design so the interviewer can get to know you better as a person.

It was overall a great experience for me. The faculty and students are very friendly. Try your best to just relax and be yourself! Good luck!

Edit: Talk about your SMP any chance you get! You can use this as evidence that you are prepared and will succeed in a dental school setting.

Here are a few of the reasons I LOVE IUSD (in no particular order)
- The family like bonds built between students and staff is just incredible
- The chance to learn while helping the community at the IUSD Student Out Reach Clinic. (This is a clinic where students can volunteer their time to not only learn and see very serious cases of dental work but this clinic is completely free to its patients! - IUSD really cares about the community around them!)
- The brand new facility they are building! (I work at the school now and I've heard so much about it like the technology it will have and the way it will simulate a real dental office where students will get the chance to see patients in a private room like setting rather than a huge room with hundreds of chairs.)
- Located right down town Indianapolis! There is always something to do!
- The opportunity to complete research and travel!
- The chance to go to underprivileged countries to help provided dental care!

The only down fall to this school is the parking issue. It can be pretty hard to find a parking spot after 7:45 am. But there are options around that such as use the bus systems either the city or IUPUI's or if you have the money to buy a parking pass that allows only you to park in that particular parking spot so no matter what time you arrive you always have that spot.

This is somewhat of a late reply. I agree with most of what you said , they have a lot of great things going for them. I interview there next week.

I have already interviewed at ASDOH and the tuition is relatively the same for me at both schools since I would be out of state with Indiana. I love the community service aspect of both school, but the major deciding factor I see between these two schools is that ASDOH students are getting an amazing clinical experience - graduating with completing 50+ Root canals on average, for example, and seeing up to 10 patients a day for their entire fourth year. It sucks that for a public school, Indiana is incredibly expensive.

I thought the essay was hard because it was very vague and we only had 10 minutes!! Hoping that isn't weighted too much.
Had an awesome experience last week, good luck to everyone!!! :)

I thought the essay was hard because it was very vague and we only had 10 minutes!! Hoping that isn't weighted too much.
Had an awesome experience last week, good luck to everyone!!! :)

Question about interviewing process
So there's an essay portion,
then 2x meetings with faculty 15 min (one-on-one session) = 30 minutes
And that concludes the interviewing process??

Question about interviewing process
So there's an essay portion,
then 2x meetings with faculty 15 min (one-on-one session) = 30 minutes
And that concludes the interviewing process??

Yes, however they may not be in that order depending on if you are the AM or PM session. There is also an exit session as well to just tell your thoughts on the interview process but its nothing you are judged/reviewed on.

Best of Luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.