***The Indiana University Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO I am in state and wait listed, does this mean I should prepare for next year's application?

Members don't see this ad.

SO I am in state and wait listed, does this mean I should prepare for next year's application?
My ideology is always plan ahead. This was my third application cycle. I got in this past week. It worked out in my favor to plan like I wasn't getting in when I was waitlisted the last two years. I was able to deliver stronger and stronger applications.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My ideology is always plan ahead. This was my third application cycle. I got in this past week. It worked out in my favor to plan like I wasn't getting in when I was waitlisted the last two years. I was able to deliver stronger and stronger applications.

Couldn't agree more. This was my third cycle as well (finally got those acceptances!!) and my biggest regret throughout this whole thing was sitting on my hands during the first cycle. Looking back, there is no way my application was competitive enough right out of school, and not doing anything during that cycle made it so my second time around was essentially the same application. I had to take a year off from applying in order to strengthen my application, and that was a pain so avoid that at all costs if you can. The worst thing that can happen is you get in later this cycle and "wasted" some effort prepping for next year, but in reality, you'd be keeping your momentum going and you could roll that into the beginning of your first year of dental school.

Couldn't agree more. This was my third cycle as well (finally got those acceptances!!) and my biggest regret throughout this whole thing was sitting on my hands during the first cycle. Looking back, there is no way my application was competitive enough right out of school, and not doing anything during that cycle made it so my second time around was essentially the same application. I had to take a year off from applying in order to strengthen my application, and that was a pain so avoid that at all costs if you can. The worst thing that can happen is you get in later this cycle and "wasted" some effort prepping for next year, but in reality, you'd be keeping your momentum going and you could roll that into the beginning of your first year of dental school.
Do you mind sharing your stats your first time around and your stats now after working to strengthen your application?

Do you mind sharing your stats your first time around and your stats now after working to strengthen your application?

Sure, no problem.

First time (and basically the second time too): 3.5 Total GPA, 3.4 Science GPA. DAT: 20 AA, 19 Total Science. Lots of community service through my school and pre-dent club, and 300+ hours of shadowing. I worked at a dental lab too, making partial and full dentures.

This time: Took 50 additional science and graduate level credits and in those I got a 3.91 GPA. Retake of the DAT: 23 AA, 22 Total Science. Added two different research experiences, one in oral cancer research, and one in biology education research. Shadowed once a week in an ortho office, and assisted in a mobile dental clinic once a month. All these new experiences definitely helped make my personal statement better as well because I had meaningful experiences I could reference and be proud of.

Pretty much put my life on hold for 12 months, and made sure I did everything right this time around. I truly believe it is possible for anyone to improve their application and get accepted. How much work you have to do depends on your baseline, but it also helps applying to schools that look at the entire application, and not just raw stats. I got accepted to 4 OOS schools this year, but got told I wasn't a competitive applicant at my state school (OHSU) because they look at that total GPA very highly. Knowing the schools, and choosing where you apply wisely is definitely key, as long as you are willing to go anywhere for school. Looking back, I wouldn't have even thought about applying to OHSU if it wasn't my state school, and even then, I probably had no shot and could have saved myself the $150 bucks or whatever it cost to apply.

Sure, no problem.

First time (and basically the second time too): 3.5 Total GPA, 3.4 Science GPA. DAT: 20 AA, 19 Total Science. Lots of community service through my school and pre-dent club, and 300+ hours of shadowing. I worked at a dental lab too, making partial and full dentures.

This time: Took 50 additional science and graduate level credits and in those I got a 3.91 GPA. Retake of the DAT: 23 AA, 22 Total Science. Added two different research experiences, one in oral cancer research, and one in biology education research. Shadowed once a week in an ortho office, and assisted in a mobile dental clinic once a month. All these new experiences definitely helped make my personal statement better as well because I had meaningful experiences I could reference and be proud of.

Pretty much put my life on hold for 12 months, and made sure I did everything right this time around. I truly believe it is possible for anyone to improve their application and get accepted. How much work you have to do depends on your baseline, but it also helps applying to schools that look at the entire application, and not just raw stats. I got accepted to 4 OOS schools this year, but got told I wasn't a competitive applicant at my state school (OHSU) because they look at that total GPA very highly. Knowing the schools, and choosing where you apply wisely is definitely key, as long as you are willing to go anywhere for school. Looking back, I wouldn't have even thought about applying to OHSU if it wasn't my state school, and even then, I probably had no shot and could have saved myself the $150 bucks or whatever it cost to apply.
Thank you!

Does anyone know if there's a second deposit after the initial $1000? I know some schools have another deposit due around April.

accepted via email today!!!!!!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Will most likely be taking my place off the OOS waitlist since I have gotten in elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

JUST GOT OFF THE WAITLIST! 1st acceptance and cannot be more excited!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if the waitlist positions are ranked or something?

Does anyone know what time in the day does the dental school start? Is it a 9-5? Just asking to mentally prepare myself to wake up early..

Does anyone know what time in the day does the dental school start? Is it a 9-5? Just asking to mentally prepare myself to wake up early..

8-5

Just withdrew my seat here to attend another program. Out of state applicant from Utah. Hoping that my spot goes to one of you well-deserving future dentists waiting to get in! Best of luck!

Any movements on the waitlist ?!

I have been accepted off the waitlist today! My first acceptance of the cycle and so thankful I don't have to apply again!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! OOS! I'm in WI. Need to find housing now ASAP
I have been using Trulia app looking for places in case if I get off the waitlist! You can find nice places with low prices on there. Best of luck :)

Just got off the waitlist!! So glad I dont have to reapply the next cycle.

Just got accepted off the OOS waitlist yesterday. Will most likely be turning it down since I am all committed to a different school already. I really hope it goes to someone very deserving!

Just declined my acceptance! I pray my spot goes to someone deserving and I wish you all the luck in the world!

Got accepted today but had to turn it down since I'm already committed to another school. I hope someone on the waitlist gets some good news today or tomorrow :)

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone at the school currently would like the share their experience here. Would love to know the pros & cons. Also, are there other hidden fees that are not listed on the tuition plus fees IU webpage and if so what are they? and how much? Anything anyone would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.