The Grad School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Took 5 hours of messing around in Excel and Prism to get a figure to look the way I wanted, but man, I love pretty data.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! So I'm not in grad school or currently planning to be, but I figured y'all might have some advice for me since a lot of you are involved in research. So at my internship at a zoo this fall, we started a new treatment that has been poorly represented in the literature, and I thought we might have a new perspective on it that could be worth trying to put out there. The vets at the zoo don't do research but have given me a pretty free rein and will be supplying me with further data and support, but since they're not involved in research and the submission date for a conference I'm interested in is in just over two weeks, they've suggested I see if I can get advice from people who are more experienced, and I thought of the knowledgeable folks here!

So the journal I'm looking at "will not accept manuscripts that have been previously published in a refereed journal or conference proceedings. It is acceptable to submit manuscripts for consideration based on prior oral presentations or published abstracts that are less than 250 words." So it's common to send off a (<250 word) abstract to a conference for a poster or presentation and then later publish that same work? Is there supposed to be a significant change from what is presented at the conference to what is presented in the publication?

Also, I'm not entirely sure how ambitious research noobs are expected to be- do they try to aim for presentations but accept posters if offered, or do only experienced people shoot for presentations? What experiences have you guys had when it comes to conferences and publishing? Thanks in advance for any input!
I'm super late to the conversation, but in grant-funded research it's actually expected that you'll present posters or presentations in a conference setting in addition to/prior to the actual published manuscript. The manuscript abstract is usually a little different, and you do want to avoid self-plagiarism in most cases (though people feel differently about that). I wrote at least 4 abstracts for one project (two posters, a presentation, and the actual manuscript abstract). They were all pretty similar but not identical. So don't let that stop you from submitting!

I hope your submission is going well! Be as ambitious as possible. You never know what will happen until you try!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
370 blocks later and I’m finally done with our seizure cohort for histology. Time to finish staining and wait to see which blocks need recutting because I know there will be some. This project started back in August when I was just given the blocks and trusted to cut slides after being taught the end of July. Added some naïves and historic shams dating back to 2014. I feel so accomplished, my literal blood, sweat, and tears have gone into this

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I made it 2.5 years in grad school before wanting to quit in a gloriously dramatic and public way before running away to take the first job I can find that provides health insurance.

Do I even need this degree? 🙃

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I made it 2.5 years in grad school before wanting to quit in a gloriously dramatic and public way before running away to take the first job I can find that provides health insurance.

You made it 1/2 yr longer than me in that case! lol

Most go through this about this time. I took a Med leave about the same time not sure if I’d come back but did eventually finish. But don’t feel bad about whatever you decide to do!

Things I already have to work on:
- poster for a conference due tomorrow at 5pm
- proposal for a vet student summer research project based on a project i'm planning that I don't even have a whisper of an outline for yet...due on the 19th
- summary stats on data from my recently completed project due ASAP
- revisions and rebuttal for a paper that we've been trying to get published for a year...due by the end of the week
- growing fungal cultures for the project that is underway now

Things getting added to my to do list:
- checking on my surgerized animals twice a day because one had a dehiscence yesterday and now I'm too paranoid to rely on the undergrads
- IACUC amendment for an already completed study because everyone forgot we should ahve submitted an amendment when we increased the number of animals in the study (yikes)

On top of homework for classes. Help I'm dying.

• Care
Things I already have to work on:
- poster for a conference due tomorrow at 5pm
- proposal for a vet student summer research project based on a project i'm planning that I don't even have a whisper of an outline for yet...due on the 19th
- summary stats on data from my recently completed project due ASAP
- revisions and rebuttal for a paper that we've been trying to get published for a year...due by the end of the week
- growing fungal cultures for the project that is underway now

Things getting added to my to do list:
- checking on my surgerized animals twice a day because one had a dehiscence yesterday and now I'm too paranoid to rely on the undergrads
- IACUC amendment for an already completed study because everyone forgot we should ahve submitted an amendment when we increased the number of animals in the study (yikes)

On top of homework for classes. Help I'm dying.
Good thing you're playing WW on top of all of this!

I feel ya. I've been working on slides for the last 2 hours (and yet somehow only have a title slide???) and I have a grant proposal due at the beginning of March that I haven't even started on ... and all my research is still on hold ugh

• Care
I have meant to submit proposals for this for the last 2 years and managed to miss the deadline both times :(
Still hired a vet student to come work for me on my project outside of that, but I felt bad that it wasn't through the program.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Good thing you're playing WW on top of all of this!

I feel ya. I've been working on slides for the last 2 hours (and yet somehow only have a title slide???) and I have a grant proposal due at the beginning of March that I haven't even started on ... and all my research is still on hold ugh
Every time I cross something off my list too, they send it back with edits and I'm like "NO I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS"
Alas, why did I choose to do this to myself lol

Also I forgot that I'm also supposed to be reviewing histo slides from the finished project and entering other data but that's kind of on the backburner since there isn't a set due date.

Good luck with all your stuff too. WW is the best procrastination but it's also terrible lol

• Care
Now I have a title slide and an objectives slide lol PROGRESS

I have the hardest time putting flash talks together. 10 minute ones (like this one) are my kryptonite. I have a much easier time with either 3-5 min or 15-20 min, but 10 minutes is just enough time for me to feel like I have to introduce the transposon system I use without having enough time to explain it for people who aren't genetics nerds.

I have the hardest time putting flash talks together. 10 minute ones (like this one) are my kryptonite. I have a much easier time with either 3-5 min or 15-20 min, but 10 minutes is just enough time for me to feel like I have to introduce the transposon system I use without having enough time to explain it for people who aren't genetics nerds.
I have a 3 minute thesis thing later in the semester and I'm dreading it. Like my work so far involves three very loosely related projects so not sure how I'm supposed to cover everything :laugh:

• Care
I have a 3 minute thesis thing later in the semester and I'm dreading it. Like my work so far involves three very loosely related projects so not sure how I'm supposed to cover everything :laugh:
I LOVE 3MT! I'm happy to help you with it if you want, I had the same struggle when I did our competition for it last year but it ended up coming together really well and it was super fun.

I didn't try to tie everything together though, I picked the element of the project that I thought would make the most sense and ran with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I LOVE 3MT! I'm happy to help you with it if you want, I had the same struggle when I did our competition for it last year but it ended up coming together really well and it was super fun.

I didn't try to tie everything together though, I picked the element of the project that I thought would make the most sense and ran with it.
I will probably take you up on that. They are doing a seminar series for us to help everyone figure out wtf to do but I'll still need to practice and stuff.

I will probably take you up on that. They are doing a seminar series for us to help everyone figure out wtf to do but I'll still need to practice and stuff.
You got it!

I ended up with 3 minutes of thesis and 26 minutes of outtakes, which I intended to edit into their own video, but it got really time-consuming with all the bleeping that I had to do and I just let it fall by the wayside...

• Wow
  • Haha
@WildZoo did you know there are tiny e-collars for mice? I have one, but I've never actually had to use it because I bury all my sutures and they seem to leave them alone, but the collar is so freaking adorable. I bought it because I thought it was funny.

• Haha
@WildZoo did you know there are tiny e-collars for mice? I have one, but I've never actually had to use it because I bury all my sutures and they seem to leave them alone, but the collar is so freaking adorable. I bought it because I thought it was funny.
That sounds precious. We used old x-ray film to make one for a sugar glider once.

Now I have too many slides for a flash talk. Classic. But my brain is melting so maybe I'll leave it for today and trim them down tomorrow.

• Care
I've gotten no work done on anything today and it's stressing me out. Wish I had my computer with me so I could work on my poster while I wait for this siren to wake up.

• Care
Probably the best thing about this is I have no way of knowing if these creatures are still alive until they wake up...and by best I mean worst, it's terrible, who thought this was a good idea :laugh:

• Care
Probably the best thing about this is I have no way of knowing if these creatures are still alive until they wake up...and by best I mean worst, it's terrible, who thought this was a good idea :laugh:
How long does it typically take them to recover? Sometimes recovering my mice with my old anesthesia protocol took AGES and it always made me so nervous. I've changed it since then and it's faster, but oof.

• Care
How long does it typically take them to recover? Sometimes recovering my mice with my old anesthesia protocol took AGES and it always made me so nervous. I've changed it since then and it's faster, but oof.
The one last night, less than 5 minutes, but he was kind of light the whole time. The longest one I've had was an hour :lame:

• Wow
Now I'm sitting here googling pictures of sirens instead of finishing my slides lololol
What's really sad is I thought these were greater sirens based on the IACUC paperwork but in other conversations the people who were leading the project before said they were lesser sirens and now I am confused. Like you'd think I'd at least know what species I'm working with. And now I'm afraid to ask :laugh:

• Haha
What's really sad is I thought these were greater sirens based on the IACUC paperwork but in other conversations the people who were leading the project before said they were lesser sirens and now I am confused. Like you'd think I'd at least know what species I'm working with. And now I'm afraid to ask :laugh:
There have been so many things with my project where I waited too long to ask and then felt like I couldn't ask by the time I really knew I needed to ask. I feel this in my soul. Starting to think it's a standard part of PhDing.

• Care
They ARE cute! I like them very much. But am glad that I am not anesthetizing things with gills.
Luckily cutaneous respiration is a thing and they have lungs, so we keep their skin and gills moist during the procedure but don't have to keep them submerged or anything

Luckily cutaneous respiration is a thing and they have lungs, so we keep their skin and gills moist during the procedure but don't have to keep them submerged or anything
Still sounds much more complicated than being like "hooray, some isoflurane and a heating pad, let's go!" I'll stick with mice lol

• Haha
Still sounds much more complicated than being like "hooray, some isoflurane and a heating pad, let's go!" I'll stick with mice lol
It feels pretty crazy tbh. Throw some orajel in some warm water, toss the animal in the water, wait for them to stop moving, do your thing, toss em back in the tank :laugh:

• Haha
  • Wow
Also aren't they cute???
Sirens are ADORABLE! I love them. It is so cool that your research project deals with them, and I hope everything goes well with them in the future.

@supershorty @ Dubz

So do both of you have your DVMs and are working towards a PhD now? I know you both mentioned doing surgery for your research projects, but I wasn't sure if either of you had already graduated from vet school or not.

Sirens are ADORABLE! I love them. It is so cool that your research project deals with them, and I hope everything goes well with them in the future.

@supershorty @Dubz

So do both of you have your DVMs and are working towards a PhD now? I know you both mentioned doing surgery for your research projects, but I wasn't sure if either of you had already graduated from vet school or not.
Dubz did it the smart way and does already have her DVM
I stepped out in the middle of the DVM so I'm still not a doctor for the 5th year counting. Hopefully 2022 Dr. Shorty part 1, and then 2024 Dr. Shorty part 2!

I feel like this thread needs a hug, a cozy blanket and hot chocolate.

Freezing Warm Up GIF by MOODMAN

• Care
This is why they call it the phd. Piled high and deeper. It does get better I promise.

• Care
Having a really hard time deciding which aspect of my project I want to talk about in this flash talk. The part that has significantly more data to discuss is also harder for non-genetics people to follow - and I'm presenting for non-genetics people. The other part is much more intuitive and easier to understand, but has a lot less on the data front at the moment.

Hmmmmmm. I can't do both because it won't flow well.
Leaning toward more data.

I somehow got my poster, all the IACUC stuff, and the summer research proposal done today. So I guess I actually have time to work on my manuscript revisions. I still kind of want to die, the back and forth on the poster with "This looks great! Here are 15 more comments on things that haven't changed since the first version!" was so aggravating :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I somehow got my poster, all the IACUC stuff, and the summer research proposal done today. So I guess I actually have time to work on my manuscript revisions. I still kind of want to die, the back and forth on the poster with "This looks great! Here are 15 more comments on things that haven't changed since the first version!" was so aggravating :laugh:
Holy wow, look at you go! I'm impressed.

I'm down to having 12 slides for 10 min, so that should be fine.

• Care
Holy wow, look at you go! I'm impressed.

I'm down to having 12 slides for 10 min, so that should be fine.
The downside is I didn't pay attention during like 3 hours of class, so I'm gonna pay for that later...

Did you decide to go with the part with more data?

The downside is I didn't pay attention during like 3 hours of class, so I'm gonna pay for that later...

Did you decide to go with the part with more data?
No, I decided to do a hail mary and try to do both because YOLO. Primarily focusing on the data one and then I have like 2 slides at the end to be like HEY THIS IS COOL ok my time is up goodbye.

also I have to give this talk at like 7:00 in the morning whyyyyyy

• Wow
No, I decided to do a hail mary and try to do both because YOLO. Primarily focusing on the data one and then I have like 2 slides at the end to be like HEY THIS IS COOL ok my time is up goodbye.

also I have to give this talk at like 7:00 in the morning whyyyyyy
Good luck, you'll be great!

7 am is too early to be anywhere near school. :dead:

I think I've come out of my current slump a bit - at least, I'm not one straw away from quitting anymore. So that's progress.

I love that. Piled high and deeper. :rofl:

• Care
Reactions: 3 users