This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all...what are my chances...I am dentist from India with more than 3 yrs of exp including 1 yr of internship...gpa 3.75...gre 313/320 Quant-160 Verbal-153 AWA-yet to come...want to apply for MPH-MBA dual degree at Johns Hopkins/UC Berkeley/Uni of Michigan/Uni of North Carolina-Chappell Hill/Boston Uni for Fall '15...please guide...is my gre score sufficient or not?

Damn confused...Advice needed...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I am an international medical graduate from India.I completed my residency in OB/GYN there and moved to the USA. I am planning to pursue MPH in bio statistics,yet to give GRE this August. I think Bio stats would be useful for research methodology and it would help me later. I want to know what would be my chances of getting accepted into such programs. Would I require a significant math background? I studied Math till high school!. Please feel free to suggest any alternative programs that I can consider.Thanks

Hello everyone,

I have graduated from UW Madison with majors in biology and psychology. I have a 3.79 GPA, 4 years of research experience (one 2nd author published paper, one first author paper hopefully getting accepted soon, working on another first author now). All my research is not at all public health related, and I never took a specifically public health course. I got A's in both calc classes I took, A in intro stats, B's in discreet math, regression analysis, and intro to programming. I've volunteered before as an EMT, in a hospital, and have teaching experience (tutoring chemistry) and currently have been working in a lab and teaching English abroad for a year.
I have not taken the GRE yet, but assume I will do reasonably.

I am interested in mostly MS, possibly PhD, in epidemiology and biostatistics programs. What level of programs should I be looking at? As I understand, U of Washington, JHU, Harvard, etc. are the best, but I'm not sure how realistic those are for me. Especially since I would be very interested in finding funding for the potential masters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I just finished my undergrad and I got a 3.12 GPA. I've been volunteering at the local hospital (ER, stroke unit, mother baby) for the past 7 years, I have 2 months of shadowing experience with a DO and 1 month experience shadowing an MD. My mcat score was really bad so I know I definitely need/want to retake that. I was VP of a the South Asians Socitey and part of a Bhangra dance team on campus for my extra curricular. I have also been doing research on diabetes using fruit flies as a model for the past 3 years.

With all that in mind, if I work at NIH for the next year, what are my chances of getting into a decent/good Ph.D. program? Will I get in?

Any help will really be appreciated!! If you need any other information from me to answer the question, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

Thanks!!

I have done my undergrad in Biotech (4 years) after which a post-graduation diploma in cellular and molecular diagnostics (1 year). Currently interning at a pharmaceutical company's biotech division as an R&D intern with the Analytical Development Team (6 months), and have no other previous health related experience.

I was wondering if this internship would be counted as experience while being considered for admissions into top public health schools, such as JHU (MSPH), Emory, UCB, Tulane, UMich, U of Minnesota? I have taken MOOC classes in Epi and Biostats (1 each) and done reasonably well on them(95%+). Would not having a real public health work or voluntary experience be a drawback? Some of these courses mention that they accept fresh undergrads or students looking to change/start their career in public health.

I am looking to concentrate in either Epi or Biostats, or a combination of the two as offered by UCB (MPH epi/Biostats).

Please help and advice me on how I could make my profile more favourable!

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I intended to apply for genetics counselor program in Fall 2015. From what I know its a competitive program. I took the Gre in June and it wasnt good: 302 total ( 149 v, 153 Q) My Gpa 3.42( psychology).I have experience in non profit organizations ( 1 year volunteer with rape crisis hotline, 1 year with brain injury survivors, 1 internship with local non profit ) I also done some shadowing with local genetics counselor. I wonder if my exp would compensate for my low Gre,and what is my chance of getting into the program in general ? below is the list of school that im applying to.

University of Alabama at Birmingham

University of South Carolina school of medicine

Virginia Commonwealth University

Brandeis University

University of Pittsburgh
Ohio state university

Any reply would be appreciate.

Best,

Hi! I'm looking to apply for my MPH for the Fall 2015 Semester at the following schools:

Columbia
NYU
UNC
Rutgers
UC Berkeley

I have worked as a Research Associate for two years at a inner-city hospital, where my studies primarily focus on quality improvement and patient care. I graduated with a GPA of 3.8 and have volunteered only at Big Brother, Big Sister and local blood drives. What can I do to improve and strengthen my application (I am currently studying for the GREs, my last practice test I received a 680 in Quantitative and a 630 in Verbal Reasoning)? Any suggestions will be helpful! Thanks all!

I am looking at possibly applying to the following schools for the MPH (hoping to concentrate on epidemiology)
-Tulane University
-Boston University
-Tufts University

Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.19 (by the end of my first semester of senior year it may be up to 3.2)
GRE: Not taken yet (but, I predict that my scores in both areas will be between 150 and 159)
Experience: The only thing I can think of is that I have volunteered in a nursing home and while there we had a little outbreak of bed bugs and it was a whole big hoopla. I am also a public health minor at my college so I will have taken several public health courses. Also, I may be able to get a public health internship for 4 months during my first semester of senior year.
Recommendations: I may be able to get one from a professor for my epidemiology class. The others will come from my other professors.

Hello everyone,
I am from India. I have finished MBBS in 2012 including one year of internship.
My GRE score is 304( Q 156, V 146, WA 4)
WES evaluation is in progress.
Do I have decent score in GRE, or should I retake the exam?

Thanks in Advance. :)

Hi everyone, I'd appreciate any help assessing my chances for the following schools. I plan on applying in fall 2015 for either epidemiology or social/behavioral sciences, but health policy is also in consideration (I know, I have a lot of interests...). Thanks in advance!
- Boston University (top choice)
- Columbia (top choice)
- UC Berkeley (top choice)
- George Washington University (top choice)
- University of Minnesota (top choice?)
- Tufts

Might also apply to these schools:
- Emory
- University of Washington
- University of Pittsburgh
- UCLA
- Yale

My stats:
Undergrad major: anthropology and international affairs, minor in health science (lower end of the top 50 universities)
GPA: 3.6
Coursework: mainly qualitative focused. I took a grad level course on qualitative research methods in health care and my senior research utilized ethnographic research methods.
I've taken 2 MOOC/EdX courses, one in social epidemiology and one in epidemiology/biostats, which I passed with a 97% and earned a certificate of accomplishment.
Currently, I'm auditing monthly seminars on research design and data analysis geared toward master's level biomedical science students at the university my workplace is affiliated with.
Experience: 6 month internship helping low-income individuals/families access health care, employment, public assistance, and housing.
1.5 years as a part-time research assistant in women's health policy at a top tier hospital.
Currently working as a research assistant with a researcher specializing in health disparities among women and minorities.

My major concern right now is that my qualitative background would make me a weak candidate for epi programs. I've taken a fair number of individual outside coursework, including an open online course from HSPH, in epi/biostat and really enjoyed it. I'm also interested in epi so that I can be well-rounded in my research skills and be able to utilize both quantitative and qualitative skills in my work - ideally as a social epidemiologist. Would that make me a fair candidate for an epi program? I haven't really seen social epi as a focus except at UMinn and Columbia (definitely a reach!) so just wanted to get other people's input.

Hi everyone, I'd appreciate any help assessing my chances for the following schools. I plan on applying in fall 2015 for either epidemiology or social/behavioral sciences, but health policy is also in consideration (I know, I have a lot of interests...). Thanks in advance!
- Boston University (top choice)
- Columbia (top choice)
- UC Berkeley (top choice)
- George Washington University (top choice)
- University of Minnesota (top choice?)
- Tufts

Might also apply to these schools:
- Emory
- University of Washington
- University of Pittsburgh
- UCLA
- Yale

My stats:
Undergrad major: anthropology and international affairs, minor in health science (lower end of the top 50 universities)
GPA: 3.6
Coursework: mainly qualitative focused. I took a grad level course on qualitative research methods in health care and my senior research utilized ethnographic research methods.
I've taken 2 MOOC/EdX courses, one in social epidemiology and one in epidemiology/biostats, which I passed with a 97% and earned a certificate of accomplishment.
Currently, I'm auditing monthly seminars on research design and data analysis geared toward master's level biomedical science students at the university my workplace is affiliated with.
Experience: 6 month internship helping low-income individuals/families access health care, employment, public assistance, and housing.
1.5 years as a part-time research assistant in women's health policy at a top tier hospital.
Currently working as a research assistant with a researcher specializing in health disparities among women and minorities.

My major concern right now is that my qualitative background would make me a weak candidate for epi programs. I've taken a fair number of individual outside coursework, including an open online course from HSPH, in epi/biostat and really enjoyed it. I'm also interested in epi so that I can be well-rounded in my research skills and be able to utilize both quantitative and qualitative skills in my work - ideally as a social epidemiologist. Would that make me a fair candidate for an epi program? I haven't really seen social epi as a focus except at UMinn so just wanted to get other people's input.

I don't know about the other schools you mentioned, but as for BU, I think you have a good chance. Their average gpa for accepted students is a 3.4 and you are above that. I don't think your research would hurt you at all. BU doesn't actually require any type of research or experience for admission. They accept many people directly from undergraduate. You seem like a pretty strong candidate to me as long as your GRE score is in order.

Hi all!

I am an international student and have just graduated from a LAC in Minnesota this June. I plan on applying for this upcoming cycle and hoping to get into an MPH(epi)/MPP program. These below are my top choices:
-George Washington MPH/MPP
-U of Minnesota MPH/MPP
-University of Michigan MPH/MPP
-Emory

Other schools that I am interested in:
Columbia
Tulane
LSHTM (dream school)
University of Maryland

My stats:
Undergraduate Major: Biology with a minor in statistics
Undergrad GPA: 3.28
Coursework: Aside from my major and minior, I took a few upper-level classes in social work, econ, anthropology and history.
Experience:
1 summer internship at Cleveland Clinic
1 summer lit and policy research internship with a non-profit on school lunch issues
1 year of internship with a local non-profit as curriculum developer on healthy lifestyles for low-income families with English as their Second language
1 year of RA experience with the institutional research office on campus
2 years of community health educator on campus, giving student lectures and one-on-one peer support
2 years of grassroots advocacy on campus for HIV/AIDS in Rwanda
2 years of volunteering at the local nursing home

I am choosing epi because it is the most marketable and most quantitative track (for someone who doesn't have a strong math background. I did struggle a lot during the 300-level stats seminar). And as an international student, there are restrictions on employment everywhere. I am hoping to develop my quantitative skills, work for a year or two after MPH, and eventually gain a PhD and work in the international development field using these quantitative skills.

That being said, I don't have as much quantitative research (study design and data collecting) experiences like many of the previous posts. I'm concerned that my profile wouldn't actually make me a fair candidate for the epi program.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I would disagree that you're not competitive for epi programs (although I'm from the US and can't comment on whether it's more competitive for international applicants).

I worried a lot about this because I majored in history and really neglected my math coursework when I thought historian would be my career path. I did well in the classes I did take, but I only went up to advanced algebra so I could have more time for foreign languages. And I had a lot of work experience (4 years in medical research), but it also was not particularly quantitative and when it was, we consulted with a professional biostatistician. I did more data management, cleaning, and descriptive stats-- nothing super impressive. I was admitted to 3/4 of my schools for an MS Epi and actually I was admitted to two programs-- MPH Epi and MS Outcomes Research-- at Minnesota. Your work experience is more related to public health than mine was-- I worked with device manufacturers.

I can't speak to MPP, but MPH programs are a good place to aim because you will spend a lot of time on core public health courses outside your concentration so you're likely to be prepared for the coursework you'll do. I'd also recommend contacting programs and just asking. Work experience counts for a lot in public health. I gave people my two-sentence story-- limited math/science coursework, tons of work experience-- and asked them this stuff:
- Do you see someone like me being competitive for your program this year?
- I'm interested in Degree A and Degree B. Do you think someone like me would be more prepared for one over the other?
- I'm planning on taking 2-4 courses at a city college this year. Are there specific topics you think are most important to cover before starting public health training?

I got really favorable, helpful responses from everyone I contacted this way and it helped me feel a lot more confident that even if I didn't get in everywhere at least I wasn't being unrealistic either. Good luck!

Hi all!

I am an international student and have just graduated from a LAC in Minnesota this June. I plan on applying for this upcoming cycle and hoping to get into an MPH(epi)/MPP program. These below are my top choices:
-George Washington MPH/MPP
-U of Minnesota MPH/MPP
-University of Michigan MPH/MPP
-Emory

Other schools that I am interested in:
Columbia
Tulane
LSHTM (dream school)
University of Maryland

My stats:
Undergraduate Major: Biology with a minor in statistics
Undergrad GPA: 3.28
Coursework: Aside from my major and minior, I took a few upper-level classes in social work, econ, anthropology and history.
Experience:
1 summer internship at Cleveland Clinic
1 summer lit and policy research internship with a non-profit on school lunch issues
1 year of internship with a local non-profit as curriculum developer on healthy lifestyles for low-income families with English as their Second language
1 year of RA experience with the institutional research office on campus
2 years of community health educator on campus, giving student lectures and one-on-one peer support
2 years of grassroots advocacy on campus for HIV/AIDS in Rwanda
2 years of volunteering at the local nursing home

I am choosing epi because it is the most marketable and most quantitative track (for someone who doesn't have a strong math background. I did struggle a lot during the 300-level stats seminar). And as an international student, there are restrictions on employment everywhere. I am hoping to develop my quantitative skills, work for a year or two after MPH, and eventually gain a PhD and work in the international development field using these quantitative skills.

That being said, I don't have as much quantitative research (study design and data collecting) experiences like many of the previous posts. I'm concerned that my profile wouldn't actually make me a fair candidate for the epi program.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about the other schools you mentioned, but as for BU, I think you have a good chance. Their average gpa for accepted students is a 3.4 and you are above that. I don't think your research would hurt you at all. BU doesn't actually require any type of research or experience for admission. They accept many people directly from undergraduate. You seem like a pretty strong candidate to me as long as your GRE score is in order.

Thanks failureisnotfatal! Are you speaking from experience? (did you have similar stats and got accepted to BU, currently attend/went to BU?) just curious!

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to apply to MPH programs this upcoming fall with a concentration in either epidemiology or community/social and behavioral health and was wondering if someone could tell me how competitive they think I may be or advice as to which schools fit my qualifications best.

I'm about to start my senior year at a small liberal arts university. I'm a Neuroscience major with a Public Health minor. My overall GPA is currently 3.206 thanks to difficulties with Chemistry my freshman and sophomore years (C+s- in Gen Chem and Orgo these are my lowest grades). I've taken over 30 credits of public health courses, including a year of Statistics (B+) and a semester of Epidemiology (A), and my Public Health GPA is a 3.458. I'm taking the GRE in a few weeks and will be sure to update with my scores at that time.

I'm a Peer Mentor at my university, so I teach a weekly class to my freshmen mentees that is designed to help ease them into college life. The past two summers, I've volunteered at a school for autistic children and within the community health unit in a hospital. I've been a copywriting/social media intern for a local first aid squad where I write educational public health blurbs for a little over a year. This summer I'm interning at another hospital with their mobile community health unit, which is a program that provides free health screenings and education to the community. I'm currently a DJ at my university's radio station (have been for two years), I founded and am currently the Vice President of my university's EMS/First Aid squad, and am also founding a quiz bowl team on campus in addition to being a member of a few other clubs, including an anti-bullying club and neuroscience club.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

What are my chances? Where can I get in? I want to go to a PhD program-ideally in the Southeast but open to anywhere. Where is the best chance for admissions? What is the highest ranked school I can get in?

Stats:
Gre-V-159
Gre-Q-150
Gre-Aw-4.5
GPA-3.9
LOR-excellent references
Research-2 year fellowship in health disparities. 2-year graduate research assistant in child maltreatment
Publications-1 sole author.
1-second author
Conference presentations-10 (3 oral, 7 poster)
Degree MPH - epidemiology from mid level school.
Outside experience- director/founder nonprofit for foster children.
6 years non public health business managment experience.

I would be so grateful for any feedback!!!

Hi everyone,

I'm freaking out right now. Everything aside from my undergraduate GPA and GRE are flawless. Please let me know your thoughts. I'm desperately trying to get my MPH, so I can make the transition from strictly event planning and development roles for disease prevention based health organizations, to programming for international health organizations (FHI 360, MSH, PATH, PSI, etc.), and global health consulting for large consulting firms (Deloitte, BCG, John Snow, Inc.) and smaller global health consulting boutiques (Rabin Martin, Global Health Strategies, etc.). Johns Hopkins MPH or MBA/MPH would be my 1st choice, though I think my chances are slim for both programs. Really love Emory too, for either an MPH or their dual degree program.

Factors that could offset GRE Scores:
-I understand that Hopkins is very keen on high quantitative GRE Scores. Will having straight A's in all of my Calculus and Statistics courses help overshadow my low GRE score?
- Holistic Approach: I've heard work experience is extremely important for MPH programs. Having demonstrated my passions and the results I attained while working for each of these organizations could possibly speak more to admission counselors than my GRE/GPA.

Statement of Purpose- Excellent, accurately demonstrating how my personal health challenges have fueled my passion to bring better healthcare solutions to vulnerable communities in developing nations.
Letters of Recommendation (3)- one from the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, Top 5 Nonprofit Health Brand/Organization in the Country
- one from the CFO & COO of a smaller boutique nonprofit health organization
- one from past professor (Sex and Gender in Society-- ties into sexual health and other health issues) at UNC-Chapel Hill; hoping that helps my chances at Gillings School of Global Public Health
Background: Attended a Top 40 private institution in the Southeast, where I was pursuing a B.B.A. in International Finance and Marketing-- transferred with a 3.94 GPA. Was heavily involved in student organization focused on raising cancer awareness, volunteered at the local children's hospital, and organized my own fundraiser to raise funds for research for children's cancer. Transferred to UNC-Chapel Hill, changed my major to sociology. Held numerous leadership roles for both student organizations focused on health issues, fraternity, and religious organizations, wrote for The Daily Tar Heel. GPA suffered due to extenuating circumstance (hospitalized for unknown medical conditions on multiple occasions).
Undergrad School: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (Overall Combined)
Major/Minor: Sociology, International Finance and Marketing (Strong background; major from transfer school)
GRE (including date taken): Rather not disclose. Not good (Low 150s)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in Fall 2011. Worked for three nonprofit health organizations in a myriad of ways since September 2011. Two of the three are major nonprofit health brands (nationally known) and one is a smaller boutique. Have worked in development, marketing, communications, fundraising and event planning for each of these organizations. Started an online community for cancer survivors, patients and their families in '07, global reach of 11,000+ members. Highly involved in raising awareness and funds for critical health issues all through high school and college. Volunteered at children's hospital in college multiple times a week. Held numerous leadership roles in student health organizations at both universities that I attended. Will have 3+ solid years of work experience with nonprofit health brands before I start my MPH program in Fall '14 (if I get in anywhere)

MPH/ MSC. Program Rank
1. Johns Hopkins University
2. Emory University
3. Georgetown University
4. UNC-Chapel Hill
5. Duke
6. Tulane
7. GWU

Applied: Johns Hopkins University (MBA/MPH), Emory (MBA/MPH), UNC (MPH-Health Behavior), Tulane (MPH-Global Health and Development), Georgetown (Master of Science-Global Health), Duke (Master of Science- Global Health), GWU (MPH-Global Health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
What happened? Did you get any acceptances?

Hi, @JSRB

Yes I did! I won't publicly disclose what schools I got into, though surprisingly I got into a few of my top choices. In the end, I decided on Tulane, and am actually in New Orleans right now. I'm beginning my fourth week of classes tomorrow, and thus far I'm pretty impressed with the school in every respect. Of course it's only a month in, so that could change over time. Though I'm being optimistic.

What happened? Did you get any acceptances?

Hi, @JSRB

Yes I did! I won't publicly disclose what schools I got into, though surprisingly I got into a few of my top choices. In the end, I decided on Tulane, and am actually in New Orleans right now. I'm beginning my fourth week of classes tomorrow, and thus far I'm pretty impressed with the school in every respect. Of course it's only a month in, so that could change over time. Though I'm being optimistic.

Your resume and life experience are impressive! I am also interested in International health and share similar career goals as yours (Intl NGOs etc). Would you mind sharing your experience at Tulane so far and why you picked that school over the others that you got accepted? I am actually in the process of applying to GWU, Emory, and Tulane right now for their global health programs and could really use for some advice. :)

School: State School in Ohio. I transferred from a public ivy. Major: Biochemistry

1st school: cGPA 2.93

2nd school” cGPA 3.72 (Major: 3.65)

Last 2 years: 3.72

Overall: cGPA 3.26

GRE: TBA (taking it this Halloween)

Volunteer: Pathology Department and Operating Room (stock) – 252 hours

Research: A summer of clinical training in the Pathology Department (St. Barnabas Medical center) and Andrology Lab (Cleveland Clinic). Independent Manuscript (not yet published L).

Community/EC:

· Gender Equality/Feminist Group (VP, then President) – I worked with Summit Country Public Health and Planned Parenthood to distribute literature and contraception (my first experience with Public Health and why I want to go into the field). 1 year

· The University’s LGBT Union (Directior of Communications) – I organized a food and toiletries drive for the local HIV/AIDS shelter. ~6 months

· The University's Hispanic/Latino Organization (Media Manager) - Utilized social media to inform the university population of the organization’s events. ~6 months

Awards: Dean’s List (3x), President’s List

Work: ~ 1 year in retail as a salesperson in a…luxurious store (let’s say it’s the reason I was able to go back to school as soon as I did. Bless the commission!). Before then, I worked multiple part-time jobs as well as “under the table” jobs.

Disparities: Had to withdraw from school for multiple reasons (largely due to finances). Within that 3 year gap, I learned a lot (I plan on extending that within my personal statements). Long story short, it’s the reason why I had the drive to get my behind back to school and get my degree. Also, I’m a multicultural Latina.

Applying: GWU (MCH), UI-Chicago (Epidemiology-MCH), UT-Houston (Epidemiology), UPitt (Epidemiology), UC-Berkeley (MCH), Columbia (Epidemiology), and John Hopkins (MSPH – Population, Family, and Reproductive Health)

I’m very nervous because I’m concerned about obtaining assistantships/anything that can help with tuition. I’m lucky that I’m graduating with a loan debt below the national average (woo-hoo!) but I want to be sure I’m investing in a degree that can bring a return while enjoying the profession. I’ve also been advised that I should apply to only 6 schools (which is why I may cut a school out before I submit the apps on SOPHAS). I really want to focus on Reproductive Health, but I only see John Hopkins as the only one that offers it through a MSPH program.

Thoughts SDN members?

Last edited:
School: State School in Ohio. I transferred from a public ivy. Major: Biochemistry

GRE: TBA (taking it this Halloween)

Research: A summer of clinical training in the Pathology Department (St. Barnabas Medical center) and Andrology Lab (Cleveland Clinic). Independent Manuscript (not yet published L).

Community/EC:

· Gender Equality/Feminist Group (VP, then President) – I worked with Summit Country Public Health and Planned Parenthood to distribute literature and contraception (my first experience with Public Health and why I want to go into the field). 1 year

· The University’s LGBT Union (Directior of Communications) – I organized a food and toiletries drive for the local HIV/AIDS shelter. ~6 months

· The University's Hispanic/Latino Organization (Media Manager) - Utilized social media to inform the university population of the organization’s events. ~6 months

Work: ~ 1 year in retail as a salesperson in a…luxurious store (let’s say it’s the reason I was able to go back to school as soon as I did. Bless the commission!). Before then, I worked multiple part-time jobs as well as “under the table” jobs.

Disparities: Had to withdraw from school for multiple reasons (largely due to finances). Within that 3 year gap, I learned a lot (I plan on extending that within my personal statements). Long story short, it’s the reason why I had the drive to get my behind back to school and get my degree. Also, I’m a multicultural Latina.

Applying: GWU (MCH), UI-Chicago (Epidemiology-MCH), UT-Houston (Epidemiology), UPitt (Epidemiology), UC-Berkeley (MCH), Columbia (Epidemiology), and John Hopkins (MSPH – Population, Family, and Reproductive Health)

I’m very nervous because I’m concerned about obtaining assistantships/anything that can help with tuition. I’m lucky that I’m graduating with a loan debt below the national average (woo-hoo!) but I want to be sure I’m investing in a degree that can bring a return while enjoying the profession. I’ve also been advised that I should apply to only 6 schools (which is why I may cut a school out before I submit the apps on SOPHAS). I really want to focus on Reproductive Health, but I only see John Hopkins as the only one that offers it through a MSPH program.

Thoughts SDN members?

Depending on how you do on your GRE, I would assume you have a shot at all the schools you're applying to, although Berkeley (in-state) may be an issue just cause of residency things. Just cross your fingers.

Hi Everyone--

Wondering what my chances would be for a top MPH program, with a global health focus.

BA from large, good public research university, GPA 3.83
MA from Stanford, interdisciplinary one year program, GPA 3.83, health focused MA capstone
GRE: Verbal 163, Math 157 (could re-take; old score from college without studying)
Work experience: after MA, one year in human rights, now working in public health focused on health social business in developing countries; will have one and a half years health job experience when I apply, plus another year in human rights, plus MA

Emory is a top choice- BU, Hopkins, GW and Washington are other considerations.

THANKS!

You should be fine! You have a solid GPA, higher than average GRE scores, and solid work experience. Write a compelling personal statement and get some great reference letters, and you should be set!

Consider adding UNC-Chapel Hill to your list! I'm at Tulane, we have a strong global health program too.

Hi Everyone--

Wondering what my chances would be for a top MPH program, with a global health focus.

BA from large, good public research university, GPA 3.83
MA from Stanford, interdisciplinary one year program, GPA 3.83, health focused MA capstone
GRE: Verbal 163, Math 157 (could re-take; old score from college without studying)
Work experience: after MA, one year in human rights, now working in public health focused on health social business in developing countries; will have one and a half years health job experience when I apply, plus another year in human rights, plus MA

Emory is a top choice- BU, Hopkins, GW and Washington are other considerations.

THANKS!

Hello, I am new!

I'm an undergrad at a small liberal arts school majoring in economics and environmental studies. I have a 3.8 GPA, 160V/154Q GRE scores, and I've done nicotine and tobacco behavior research at a cancer institute's health behavior department.

I'm looking mainly at studying an MPH (and eventually a PhD) in either health policy and management (more on the health economics side of things) or environmental health (with a focus on epidemiology of exposure and whatnot). I'm very interested in learning GIS along with studying health policy or environmental health, but I'm not sure which concentration is better for me.

I'm looking at BU, tufts, University of Minnesota, UNC Chapel Hill, UB, University of Michigan, and Yale as my list of schools. I was also looking into dual degree programs involving an MPH and an MA in urban and environmental planning at tufts and UNC chapel hill, but I'm not sure if its worth getting an extra degree for an extra study when I'd probably go into either urban planning or public health independently of one an another.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you guys can offer me.

**Cross-posted from the 'what are my chances PhD' thread, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of activity there.

I am finishing my MPH in spring 2015 and am considering applying (getting late, I know) for for the 2015 PhD application cycle. I feel like I may have a stronger chance at the 2016 cycle, but am hesitant to be in 'limbo' for almost 2 more years. Stats below:

UG: Public Health Education. GPA: 3.0
Masters in Public Health (Epidemiology) from low/mid range school of public health. GPA: ~3.8
GRE: Verbal:160; Quant:155; AW: 4.0. (Won't be able to re-take for this cycle)
Conference presentations: None
Publications: 1 as second author. Submitting 3-4 more this spring, but won't have anything in time for my application. Name on a couple of white papers/technical reports.
Work experience: 1 semester internship w/county health department in undergrad; 1 year of AmeriCorps after graduating; 1 year full-time health education for county healthy department; 1.5 years (and counting) working for nutrition research center.
LoRs: 1 from faculty advisor, 1 from faculty/work supervisor, 1 from county health department manager. These should all be pretty strong.
Research interests: Cancer epidemiology, chronic disease epidemiology, nutritional sciences/nutritional epidemiology.

Programs of interest (All PhD Epi):
- U of Iowa
- U of Minnesota
- U of Texas
- U of Washington
- Saint Louis U

Thoughts/chances, anyone? Not expecting to look at the top-tier programs (JHU, Harvard, etc.), but are my stats realistic for the above?

Thanks in advance.

I would really appreciate all of your feedback!! Please feel free to message me. Here are my stats:
Undergrad School: UC Berkeley
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
Major/Minor: Anthropology B.A.
GRE: V 148, Q 145
Experience/Research:
1 year working at a museum in the osteology department working with human bones
8 months research with the set-up of a new Geoarchaeology and Southwest Asian Prehistory Lab in the Department of Anthropology at UC Berkeley
Recently started working at a local school as an instructional assistant
Will begin volunteering at a local hospital
2 months study abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina while volunteering feeding the homeless
3 months study abroad in Florence, Italy

Applied: Boston (Global Health), George Washington (Global Health), UCLA (Epi), SDSU (Epi), Columbia (Sociomedical Sciences), Michigan (Health Behavior & Health Education), Yale (Social & Behavioral Sciences), Brown (MPH)

It does not matter how much I study I just can't seem to raise my GRE score and I have taken it twice. Other than that I would really like to hear some of your feedback please!

Hey everyone. I found out that I did horrible on the GREs (149V, 160Q, 3.5 AWA) and now I don't know if I should retake them (or even if I have time to). I'm so pissed because I felt that I would've done the best on the analytical writing portion and now I'm worried if I can even get into a top epidemiology program.

My stats again:

GRE: 3.5 AWA, 149V, 160Q

Community/EC:

· The University’s LGBT Union (Director of Communications) – I organized a food and toiletries drive for the local HIV/AIDS shelter. ~6 months

Applying: GWU (Epidemiology), UI-Chicago (Epidemiology-MCH), UT-Houston (Epidemiology), UWash (Epidemiology-General), Drexel (Epidemiology), Columbia (Epidemiology), and John Hopkins (MSPH – Population, Family, and Reproductive Health) and Emory (Epidemiology)

I’m very nervous because I’m concerned about obtaining assistantships/anything that can help with tuition. I’m lucky that I’m graduating with a loan debt below the national average (woo-hoo!) but I want to be sure I’m investing in a degree that can bring a return while enjoying the profession. I’ve also been advised that I should apply to only 6 schools (which is why I may cut a school out before I submit the apps on SOPHAS). I really want to focus on Reproductive Health, but I only see John Hopkins as the only one that offers it through a MSPH program. If not, I've been told that I wouldn't be restricted within epidemiology.

Thoughts SDN members?

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some feedback and suggestions on applying to Ph.D programs for Epidemiology straight out of undergrad.

I am currently a B.A. in Health Administration and Policy (studying on Public Health concentration). I am currently a sophomore but I have the choice to graduate early with my bachelors degree next year (spending only 3 years in undergrad) because I had a lot of AP credits transferred in for my general education requirements. Theoretically, by the end of next year if I choose to graduate early, I would have:
--> 11 MATH credits (Precalculus, Calculus I, and Finite Mathematics)
--> 8 STAT credits (Statistics for Social Sciences and Statistics with Application to Biological Sciences)
--> 12 ENGLISH credits credits (including a course in technical communication)
--> 9 ARTS/HUMANITIES credits
--> 6 CULTURE credits (including an Intercultural Communications class)
--> 9 BIOLOGY credits (Intro Bio for Bio Majors with Honors, Microbiology and Microbiology Lab)
--> 4 CHEM credits (intro chem class)
--> 15 SOCIAL SCIENCE credits (including Psychology and Human Geography)
--> 27 Core Major credits (Public Health concentrated) including: Global issues in health & disease, geography of health & disease, research methods in health, and epidemiology
--> Language proficiency in Spanish, Japanese, and Vietnamese.

I do not have any research experience but by early graduation next year I will have 2.5 years of direct public health experience in developing, planning, and implementing public health programs, and at least 1 year of clinical experience as a medical scribe.

My GPA is currently a 4.0. If my GPA stays above a 3.8 by the end of my junior year, and my GRE scores are at least average, what would my chances of being accepted straight into a Ph.D program for epidemiology be?

Do you think I should apply to a Ph.D program right away or take more bio/chem classes for undergrad and not graduate undergrad early?

I'm looking in to the Public Health/Epidemiology programs at University of Maryland, Baltimore. I am deciding between 3 choices, an MPH in epidemiology, MS in epidemiology, and of course, the Ph.D in epidemiology. I would really love some suggestions and advice!

Hey everyone I was looking to apply for MHA programs a year from now. I was looking for some feedback regarding my overall chances.
GPA: 3.2 Kinesiology, cognate in administration and minor in health promotion (Michigan State University)
GRE: yet to take it, 26 on the ACT if that is comparable at all
1+ years research in data entry/analysis for the Kin deparment
1+ years work as a telemarketer
2 week study abroad in Mexico studying health systems
Trying to land an internship this summer shadowing an administrator or working at a hospitals IT department

Looking to apply to:
Rush U, Ohio State, Xavier, Indiana, UPitt, U Illinois Chicago, Medical UScarolina, Boston U

Please give me some feedback :)

Hey everyone I was looking to apply for MHA programs a year from now. I was looking for some feedback regarding my overall chances.
GPA: 3.2 Kinesiology, cognate in administration and minor in health promotion (Michigan State University)
GRE: yet to take it, 26 on the ACT if that is comparable at all
1+ years research in data entry/analysis for the Kin deparment
1+ years work as a telemarketer
2 week study abroad in Mexico studying health systems
Trying to land an internship this summer shadowing an administrator or working at a hospitals IT department

Looking to apply to:
Rush U, Ohio State, Xavier, Indiana, UPitt, U Illinois Chicago, Medical UScarolina, Boston U

Please give me some feedback :)

I did my undergrad in health administration (now trying to balance out with an MPH concentration in management and policy), but I've looked at a few MHA programs too. Even though masters programs have a much more holistic approach than, say, law or medicine, it's still hard to give good feedback without GRE's. That's especially true given your good but not great GPA. While it's certainly in competitive range, it might be a little below the mean for the more competitive programs. If possible, you might want to devote some considerable time to score above average on the GRE (and take a few practice exams to see where you stand); especially since you have a year to do so. Also, since you seem to be looking to the Midwest, think about the University of Michigan (it's MSHA is one of the best programs in the country). With high enough GRE's, you could have a shot.

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some feedback and suggestions on applying to Ph.D programs for Epidemiology straight out of undergrad.

I am currently a B.A. in Health Administration and Policy (studying on Public Health concentration). I am currently a sophomore but I have the choice to graduate early with my bachelors degree next year (spending only 3 years in undergrad) because I had a lot of AP credits transferred in for my general education requirements. Theoretically, by the end of next year if I choose to graduate early, I would have:
--> 11 MATH credits (Precalculus, Calculus I, and Finite Mathematics)
--> 8 STAT credits (Statistics for Social Sciences and Statistics with Application to Biological Sciences)
--> 12 ENGLISH credits credits (including a course in technical communication)
--> 9 ARTS/HUMANITIES credits
--> 6 CULTURE credits (including an Intercultural Communications class)
--> 9 BIOLOGY credits (Intro Bio for Bio Majors with Honors, Microbiology and Microbiology Lab)
--> 4 CHEM credits (intro chem class)
--> 15 SOCIAL SCIENCE credits (including Psychology and Human Geography)
--> 27 Core Major credits (Public Health concentrated) including: Global issues in health & disease, geography of health & disease, research methods in health, and epidemiology
--> Language proficiency in Spanish, Japanese, and Vietnamese.

I do not have any research experience but by early graduation next year I will have 2.5 years of direct public health experience in developing, planning, and implementing public health programs, and at least 1 year of clinical experience as a medical scribe.

My GPA is currently a 4.0. If my GPA stays above a 3.8 by the end of my junior year, and my GRE scores are at least average, what would my chances of being accepted straight into a Ph.D program for epidemiology be?

Do you think I should apply to a Ph.D program right away or take more bio/chem classes for undergrad and not graduate undergrad early?

I'm looking in to the Public Health/Epidemiology programs at University of Maryland, Baltimore. I am deciding between 3 choices, an MPH in epidemiology, MS in epidemiology, and of course, the Ph.D in epidemiology. I would really love some suggestions and advice!

This is really more anecdotal than anything, but I did some epidemiological research work with a guy who went straight from undergrad to PhD, and now he's in his first year and he's hating life. He just feels really overwhelmed by the whole independence of the thing. I'm also helping a professor who's completing her dissertation now, and just witnessing third-hand, I can tell you the PhD is a far different animal than the undergraduate experience. You're not only expected to be highly familiar with the research process, you should be taking the lead on papers and projects (granted that's after a year or two). I myself thought of jumping straight into a PhD, which is extremely difficult without connections in the program by the way, but personally thought better of it. If you don't have any research experience, I'd highly suggest focusing on the masters first and getting your name on some papers just to decide if you even like that kind of work. I mean, the PhD is a research degree, and your experience (though highly practical) is in the field. A masters only takes two years, and it can sometimes shave some time off the PhD anyway. Just my $0.02.

--------

Last edited:
Curious to hear anything people have to say about applying late in the cycle. Thinking of pulling together an application now for fall 2015 MPH - to some schools with March/April-ish deadlines and some whose "priority" deadline passed but who take rolling applications after that. For an otherwise reasonable application, am I shooting myself in the foot? If I get rejected, does that hurt my chances for future applications?
Thanks!

Curious to hear anything people have to say about applying late in the cycle. Thinking of pulling together an application now for fall 2015 MPH - to some schools with March/April-ish deadlines and some whose "priority" deadline passed but who take rolling applications after that. For an otherwise reasonable application, am I shooting myself in the foot? If I get rejected, does that hurt my chances for future applications?
Thanks!

An MPH is not cheap, and there are tons of people getting MPH degrees these days, so I think it would be a waste of time and money to go to a random school when you could perhaps get into a very good program if you apply on time for 2016. If I were you I would apply for fall 2016 and really take advantage of the extra time you have to put together the strongest application you can, and apply to the top programs. Get some additional work experience, spend at least 3 months preparing for the GRE, start writing your statement of purpose 1-2 months before the deadline, and apply as early as possible.

(My background: switching careers, no work experience in public health, got admitted to Harvard and Johns Hopkins; got a max GRE score in Verbal and 161 in Quantitative, spent 3 months--2-3 hours daily--preparing for it)

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into MHA programs right now and thinking about whether or not I should retake the GREs (mainly because of my AW score). I've heard that some schools do not give writing score as much weight (not sure about that).

Undergrad GPA: 3.48
Major/Minor: Psych Major, Comm Minor
GRE: V 160, Q 157, AQ 3.5
Experience/Research:
Graduated ~2 years ago, been working in research part-time for 2 years and also working in a hospital in an administrative role for a few months now.

Any feedback/advice would be great!

Thank you :)

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into MHA programs right now and thinking about whether or not I should retake the GREs (mainly because of my AW score). I've heard that some schools do not give writing score as much weight (not sure about that).

Undergrad GPA: 3.48
Major/Minor: Psych Major, Comm Minor
GRE: V 160, Q 157, AQ 3.5

Your V and Q scores are very good so your writing score give me pause, especially since you were a comm. minor. The average writing score is 4, so to get a below-average score (a 3.5 is 38th percentile) your essays must have had some serious issues (probably having to do with not following the specific instructions for each essay). If it were me, I would retake it, because while schools generally don't look for super high scores in Writing, a below average score will likely jump out at them. And you don't want to regret not retaking it if (God forbid) you end up rejected by your dream school. Read and re-read the example essays and grading criteria in the official GRE guide. Given your other scores, it shouldn't be too hard for you to get at least a 4 or 4.5 if you read the example essays and perhaps practice on a couple of topics. I got a 5 (93%) and didn't do any practice essays, just read all the example essays and grading criteria in the official guide.

Your V and Q scores are very good so your writing score give me pause, especially since you were a comm. minor. The average writing score is 4, so to get a below-average score (a 3.5 is 38th percentile) your essays must have had some serious issues (probably having to do with not following the specific instructions for each essay). If it were me, I would retake it, because while schools generally don't look for super high scores in Writing, a below average score will likely jump out at them. And you don't want to regret not retaking it if (God forbid) you end up rejected by your dream school. Read and re-read the example essays and grading criteria in the official GRE guide. Given your other scores, it shouldn't be too hard for you to get at least a 4 or 4.5 if you read the example essays and perhaps practice on a couple of topics. I got a 5 (93%) and didn't do any practice essays, just read all the example essays and grading criteria in the official guide.

Thank you for your advice, I've been thinking about retaking it, but have been hesitant because I don't want to score lower on the other sections. Thanks again!

Hi All,

Have been combing over threads for days. Finally got the courage to sign up. ANYONE with insight or intel on UCLA and/or Berkeley's MPH/MBA programs please share your thoughts!!

After 3 years of post-undergrad soul searching and work experience I've come to a strong conclusion that I want to take my career toward Pharma/Biotech/Healthcare Management and quite possibly consulting. My dream school is Berkeley. While UCLA is just as wonderful and reputable I really want to head to the Bay Area because I love it out there and from what ive been able to determine, Berkeley is a perfectly tailored fit for me and my pursuits. Here are just a few reasons why:

Employment profile closely matches my aspirations

STRONG ties to consulting

Bay Area = Mecca for Tech

Average age of pupil is late 20s with about 5yrs Experience (As I will be)

Personal: Love the luscious landscape of NorCal and the 49ers!! On a deeper note, Ive been writing thesis papers on the U.S. Healthcare System and passion for Genetics since high school.

I plan on staying in California (Dont want to pay ridiculous out of state fees when great schools are here in CA). Again, UCLA is still highly regarded but from my impression it does not have as strong a Biotech/Pharma/Consulting arena as Berkeley. I could be wrong.

In either scenario I plan on completing a concurrent MBA/MPH program. My concern however lies in my performance metrics:

Undergrad: UC Riverside

Major: Sociology and Administrative Studies w/ an Organizations, Management, and Human Resources track

Major GPA: 3.3

Cumulative GPA: 2.9

Graduate Testing: Not yet taken

NOTE: My performance during undergraduate study was impacted. For my first year I was a Bio major and then my brother, whom has been diagnosed with Cerebral palsy and other chronic conditions since birth, went through hardship in terms of health and high risk operations. Father was diagnosed with Hairy Cell Leukemia. Also, my mother was found to have a pituitary adenoma. Further making this a difficult time for me was the fact that I come from a low income family. Transportation to and from school was a weekly hurdle as I had no car. Additionally the myriad of physician visits and dealings with insurance carriers was a job in itself.

Employment/Experiences:

In terms of experience here is where I feel things work in my favor.

For the last 2 years I have been a Pharmaceutical Sales Representative, 1 year of which has been in a Manager role leading a team of 6 spanning from Orange County to Ventura County including Los Angeles.

Have been responsible for the marketing and sales growth of key pharmaceutical products and services to all medical specialties with an added emphasis on the implementation of Toxicology and Pharmacogenomics (Personalized Medicine, Genetics! hence the interest in Biotech).

Since obtaining my BA I have had other roles as a Program Coordinator at a large non-profit Tutoring company which provided supplemental education to LAUSDs youth.

In this same firm I also performed

-Corporate Recruiting

-Community Outreach

-Payroll

I have also in the past:

-Worked as a private tutor for under served communities in Los Angeles

-Volunteered as an Instructional Assistant for Special Education at a local high school

-Held a role of Assistant Student Services Technician (which was a combination of school site liaison and school nurse)

-Participated in an occupational program specializing in Emergency Medical Response

In the future:

I plan on working for LA Care in some sort of IT role (waiting on my networking pals to warm up a recruiting coordinator to the thought of me)

--------------------
Attached is my resume (Not the most recent updated version, shows only my more technical roles and achievements)

I am about 18 months away from the time I wish to be enrolled in my first class.

My main question is what are my odds??

What else should I know?

Any shred of advice is welcome...

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• ResumeSAMPLE.docx
    17.1 KB · Views: 81
Honestly, IMO it will be fairly hard to tell what sort of chance you have without GRE test scores.

I am a pretty good test taker. Lets assume that I end up with a competitive score. With my background what should I anticipate? Work on?

I am a pretty good test taker. Lets assume that I end up with a competitive score. With my background what should I anticipate? Work on?

I would suggest eMailing the admissions department of the programs you are interested in. They will often provide you with a general idea of what the GPA and GRE scores are for successful applicants to their program.

Additionally I would check out these threads-

2014 Fall MPH Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mph-fall-2014-applied-accepted-waitlisted-rejected.1040622/

2015 Fall MPH Accepted Waitlisted, Rejected:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mph-fall-2015-applied-accepted-waitlisted-rejected.1092050/

You can search within the actual thread to locate applicants who have been previously accepted to the programs you are interested in. This can also provide some insight into how competitive your GPA is and how well you'll need to do on the GRE. Bear in mind that your SOP and CV can help offset GRE/GPA if it is lower than the average of those accepted.

I hope someone is able to give you more insight those programs and how competitive you are for admission.

It sounds like you have some very good work experience and we'll assume you get competitive GRE scores. That being said, the low GPA could be a bit of a barrier. I would guess your work experience could make up for that, but Berkeley and UCLA are very competitive schools.

One option may be to look into graduate certificate programs, or take some classes as a non-degree student. This would allow you to get your feet wet in graduate coursework and show that you can succeed in it. Not sure about Berkeley or UCLA, but may schools of public health have online options to do this. You may be able to transfer those credits if you're admitted. Ideally, you'd want to start this summer so you could have grades from summer and fall by the time you apply in spring 2016.

I would also suggest contacting the appropriate department/admissions coordinator in a couple months (after this year's admissions cycle dies down) to see if your GPA would be a barrier, how post-bachelors coursework is evaluated, etc.

Really appreciate it guys. Will definitely take all of this into consideration. Ive been working on getting a grant to attend UCLA Extension and obtain a Certificate in Finance with a concentration in Corporate Finance. Ive been trying to get the funds for a while now (4 months)...my case worker seems to be very disorganized and for that reason i'm going to be sidelined in all likeliness until the summer quarter. Because i'm applying for funds through a workforce investment center I've had to be patient. I expect that this will help with the GPA issue and also demonstrate that I can tackle quantitative courses in business.

EDIT:

Had a chance to go over some of those threads...Most people are way above my output. Other folks have tons of research and volunteer work. While I like to think that I have management experience in the administration/biotech area I wonder if i should bolster my resume with other things. Feeling discouraged :scared:. Am I way over my head with Berkeley and UCLA? In trying to read between the lines i get the feeling that I should lower my expectations. Please be blunt. Ill appreciate if you guys would be direct...Ive got a feeling you guys know where I could/should temper my expectations.

Last edited:
Really appreciate it guys. Will definitely take all of this into consideration. Ive been working on getting a grant to attend UCLA Extension and obtain a Certificate in Finance with a concentration in Corporate Finance. Ive been trying to get the funds for a while now (4 months)...my case worker seems to be very disorganized and for that reason i'm going to be sidelined in all likeliness until the summer quarter. Because i'm applying for funds through a workforce investment center I've had to be patient. I expect that this will help with the GPA issue and also demonstrate that I can tackle quantitative courses in business.

EDIT:

Had a chance to go over some of those threads...Most people are way above my output. Other folks have tons of research and volunteer work. While I like to think that I have management experience in the administration/biotech area I wonder if i should bolster my resume with other things. Feeling discouraged :scared:. Am I way over my head with Berkeley and UCLA? In trying to read between the lines i get the feeling that I should lower my expectations. Please be blunt. Ill appreciate if you guys would be direct...Ive got a feeling you guys know where I could/should temper my expectations.

Take what you read in threads with a gain of salt. There can be some good info, but also a bit of the pre-med, freakout mindset (will I get in with my 4.0 GPA and 40 MCAT score?!)

That being said, Berkeley and UCLA are going to be competitive for any graduate program. They are both highly rated as public health schools, and overall. I think you have a good shot at the MPH program if you can get a semester of coursework done (at least ~2-3 classes) that shows your undergrad GPA is in the past. If you have the chance, focus on quantitative courses (stats, math, even finance may be good).

Your work experience will be a huge plus, lots of applicants are straight out of undergrad or maybe one year removed. You will want to play this up when you apply, "I already have a strong understanding of public health, because of _ and _ work experiences."

* I don't know anything about MBA programs, so that is an entirely different topic. Maybe even look into MHA degrees? They seem to be a natural mix of MPH/MBA.

I don't think you're in over your head at either school provided you do really well on the GRE and have a compelling SOP.

Hi all, terribly nervous to get this all down in writing, but would really appreciate insight and advice.
Ugrad: UC (took 5 years)
Major: Architecture (and Pre-Med)
GPA: 2.6 (with plenty D's and a few F's in there, lots of re-taken courses)
Post-grad GPA: 4.0 (not many units, classes taken after work and on-line through university program, won't have much effect on GPA, but hoping it'll show my interest in continuing education and an upward trend of some sorts)
GRE: TBD (first practice test 158 on V&Q, hoping for >160 after lots of practice, plan to take early May)
Experience (from the last 5 years):
- Tutor for two students who have combination of autism and learning disabilities (1 year)
- Health Educator for Peer Health Exchange: taught health education workshops in schools lacking health education programs (2 years)
- Volunteer and Clinical Coordinator for on-campus club providing medical clinics, and health and nutrition education to rural Guatemala (2 years)
- Research Assistant for nutrition lab, conducting live-participant study to research novel zinc biomarkers in human body; Funded by HarvestPlus in development of zinc-fortified rice (1 Year)
- Office manager assistant for psychiatry clinic (6 mos)
- Full-time Clinical Trials Research Coordinator and Data Manager for a NCI-designated oncology clinical trials program. I work with cancer patients to find them clinical trials that they may be eligible for, work to enroll them, and manage all of their data. By the time I apply, I will have been here for just about two years. I feel this may be my biggest asset to my resume as some of my biggest interests are in cancer epidemiology and social/behavioral aspects of cancer etiology.

what are my chances given poor GPA but public-health focused experience?

Thank you so much for anyone who can give me any advice! Thanks for reading :)

Last edited: