This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello friends! I'm hoping to get into a MS program. Looking for advice :)

Undergrad: Big10 University 2016 (graduated in 3 years)
Major: Biochem & biotech
Minor: Global public health and Epi (all honors classes)
GPA: 3.9 - 4.0 in epi, biostats, and stats
GRE: n/a; Mcat 96 percentile
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 3 years in pharmacology lab during undergrad doing fully independent research. one presentation at national conference and one publication
  • Started collegiate chapter of a nationally recognized public health organization - vice pres
  • Representative for college student health association
  • Other volunteering and undergrad extracurriculars
Professional Experience/Current Job: Research Assistant at Rehab hospital studying population health and health outcomes. one publication in process
LORS: 1 from undergrad research PI, 1 from current PI who is CMO of the hospital, 1 from undergrad advisor
Interests: tropical medicine, global epidemiology, infectious diseases

Tentative list of schools: Johns Hopkins MSPH in International Health, Emory MSPH in Global Health, Yale MPH, UMich MPH, Tulane MSPH Tropical Medicine

Am I competitive for these programs or am I aiming too high?

Members don't see this ad.

• 3 years in pharmacology lab during undergrad doing fully independent research. one presentation at national conference and one publication
  • Started collegiate chapter of a nationally recognized public health organization - vice pres
Professional Experience/Current Job: Research Assistant at Rehab hospital studying population health and health outcomes. one publication in process
LORS: 1 from undergrad research PI, 1 from current PI who is CMO of the hospital, 1 from undergrad advisor

Tentative list of schools: Johns Hopkins MSPH in International Health, Emory MSPH in Global Health, Yale MPH, UMich MPH, Tulane MSPH Tropical Medicine

I haven't applied myself, but based on what I've seen from other applicants and what advice other already-admitted students have given to them, I'd say you'd be a very competitive applicant. Given your GPA, major, experience, and desired field, I'd only be focused on having a great personal statement/statement of objectives (depending on the school's requirements) and of course top-notch recommendation letters.

My only concern is the MCAT/GRE. I'm *fairly* certain almost every school is willing to replace the GRE for the MCAT, but it may depend on the school. If they don't, you'd of course have to take the GRE and make a pretty high score on it. But based on all your other stats, that shouldn't be difficult for you. :) Good luck and please keep us informed if you can--I'm interested to see how this goes!

Reactions: 1 users

I am a fellow Hopkins undergraduate (BA/BS) and graduate from JHSPH (MHS). I think if your interests are in Trop Med, global epi, and infectious diseases, you need to expand out of the MSPH in International Health. I was the TA for multiple years in the Tropical Medicine institute at JHSPH as well as over 7 other courses throughout International Health.

May I suggest you look into the GDEC program (global disease epidemiology control program) under International Health for the MSPH degree. Also, the department of Epidemiology for the MHS and or MS degree.

MSPH in international health that is not focused in on GDEC department will limit your interest areas. The Department of Epi for MHS or MS will expand your interests.

You can PM with more specifics about the programs and the degrees themselves! You are very much competitive so I wasn't going to focus in on that.
*Tulane in Tropical Medicine is superb as well FYI

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I will be applying next year but I wanted to see my chances with schools with my not so good scores. I dont think i have anything distinguishing but might as well get a feed back
Undergrad School: One of SoCal school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.33/3.4
Major/Minor:
Health science with bio emphasis
GRE : V 152, Q 160, writing 4
Experience/Research: I am going to generalize a lot
Research: mycorrhizae activity (1yr), childhood obesity in relation to sleep (1/2 yr), air quality effects on human body( 1/2 yr)
Presented posters at a conference. if that makes any difference

Math TA for 2 years
Anatomy and Physiology TA for 3 years
volunteer at a hospital for 6months
volunteer with elementary school for 1 year
Work for Red Cross 1 yr
public relation officer for health club 1yr
public relation officer for student association 1yr
vice president for computer science/robotics club (1yr)
treasurer math club 1yr
Medical record assistant (1/2 year)

know SPSS
certified in blood borne pathogen,

Interested in: epidemiology/ infectious/ chronic disease
Want to apply:
U.C. Berkeley, Emory, UCLA, Tulane, UCI, SDSU, University of Minnesota, Claremont, University Of Arizona

Hi , I will be applying for MPH program in Health Policy and Management or Global Health for Fall 2017 and I want to know my chances of getting through these colleges based on my profile (mentioned below). Please help.
1) Johns Hopkins
2) Harvard
3) University of Michigan
4) University of Minnesota
5) University of Washington
6) Boston University
7) University of Pittsburg etc

I am an international student from India. I have completed my undergraduate study in Pharmacy post which I have done MBA in Healthcare management. I have 2+ years of work experience in a healthcare company called DaVita and have a volunteering experience in Nepal which was about spreading awareness about chronic kidney disease. My gre scores are - 153- verbal and 160 in Quant. TOEFL is 108.

Undergrad: selective liberal arts 2016
Major: neuroscience
Minor: exercise science
GPA: 3.8~
GRE: 155Q 161V 4.5 W
  • public health research and special studies w/ professor who wrote one of my LOR, 3 publications
  • internship in college wellness and health promotion
  • some research experience in biological labs
  • currently a social worker/case manager working with adults with severe mental illness in the community

LORS: 1 from undergrad research professor, one professor from a psych seminar, one from summer internship supervisor, one from a job supervisor during undergrad in reslife
Interests: LGBT health & health disparities, sex/reproductive epidemiology, chronic epidemiology
Tentative list of schools: BU (sex/gender/sexuality-mph), Harvard SM80C, SUNY Buffalo, Columbia (sex/sexuality/reprod. certificate), Michigan, Minnesota, Tulane, Emory, Washington St Louis, University of Pittsburgh, UMASS? (TENTITIVE, trying to cut the list down)

I just graduated this year so I'm concerned about my low level of experience, especially since social work isn't really public health experience... Kinda feel like I'm aiming too high but I'm not sure what is considered a "safety" school
Also, my application hasn't been verified and its been about 3 weeks? Getting nervous I'm going to miss deadlines :/

Undergrad: selective liberal arts 2016
Major: neuroscience
Minor: exercise science
GPA: 3.8~
GRE: 155Q 161V 4.5 W
  • public health research and special studies w/ professor who wrote one of my LOR, 3 publications
  • internship in college wellness and health promotion
  • some research experience in biological labs
  • currently a social worker/case manager working with adults with severe mental illness in the community

LORS: 1 from undergrad research professor, one professor from a psych seminar, one from summer internship supervisor, one from a job supervisor during undergrad in reslife
Interests: LGBT health & health disparities, sex/reproductive epidemiology, chronic epidemiology
Tentative list of schools: BU (sex/gender/sexuality-mph), Harvard SM80C, SUNY Buffalo, Columbia (sex/sexuality/reprod. certificate), Michigan, Minnesota, Tulane, Emory, Washington St Louis, University of Pittsburgh, UMASS? (TENTITIVE, trying to cut the list down)

I just graduated this year so I'm concerned about my low level of experience, especially since social work isn't really public health experience... Kinda feel like I'm aiming too high but I'm not sure what is considered a "safety" school
Also, my application hasn't been verified and its been about 3 weeks? Getting nervous I'm going to miss deadlines :/

I think otherwise on social work not being public health experience; it very much so is! You have the clinical and or program setting, you have the public policy and program evaluation context...so do not get down on yourself for that, it is a positive in your application. I personally did not apply to MS epi/family repro/stat programs until the spring of my app year! I do not know the deadlines for every program you listed, BUT I can tell you that there are others with spring deadlines that are not on your list :) if that makes you feel better.

Are you looking to enter a 1 year MPH? A 2 year MHS/MS? A 2 year MPH in "X"? MSPH? Tulane is big on tropical medicine epi / vector so not sure you want to keep them on the list? Hopkins (my alma mater) has an excellent Pop Fam department and a great MSPH in the area you want! There is also health disparity in the International Health department. Ever consider out west...USF? UofA? or near Michigan, the Ohio State?

Hi all, I will be applying next year but I wanted to see my chances with schools with my not so good scores. I dont think i have anything distinguishing but might as well get a feed back
Undergrad School: One of SoCal school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.33/3.4
Major/Minor:
Health science with bio emphasis
GRE : V 152, Q 160, writing 4
Experience/Research: I am going to generalize a lot
Research: mycorrhizae activity (1yr), childhood obesity in relation to sleep (1/2 yr), air quality effects on human body( 1/2 yr)
Presented posters at a conference. if that makes any difference

Math TA for 2 years
Anatomy and Physiology TA for 3 years
volunteer at a hospital for 6months
volunteer with elementary school for 1 year
Work for Red Cross 1 yr
public relation officer for health club 1yr
public relation officer for student association 1yr
vice president for computer science/robotics club (1yr)
treasurer math club 1yr
Medical record assistant (1/2 year)

know SPSS
certified in blood borne pathogen,

Interested in: epidemiology/ infectious/ chronic disease
Want to apply:
U.C. Berkeley, Emory, UCLA, Tulane, UCI, SDSU, University of Minnesota, Claremont, University Of Arizona

Hey, you have a great chance at these schools! I am sure if you write about these well enough in the applications (your experiences etc) then you set yourself up better to show time spent = defined goals = fit for the school. You have great science background too and nice volunteer work. SPSS is a plus for many schools! However, various ones train masters / doctoral students in STATA and or SAS, but keeping versed in 2 stats programs, is very much so to your benefit. Have you added schools to your list? Good luck!

I think otherwise on social work not being public health experience; it very much so is! You have the clinical and or program setting, you have the public policy and program evaluation context...so do not get down on yourself for that, it is a positive in your application. I personally did not apply to MS epi/family repro/stat programs until the spring of my app year! I do not know the deadlines for every program you listed, BUT I can tell you that there are others with spring deadlines that are not on your list :) if that makes you feel better.

Are you looking to enter a 1 year MPH? A 2 year MHS/MS? A 2 year MPH in "X"? MSPH? Tulane is big on tropical medicine epi / vector so not sure you want to keep them on the list? Hopkins (my alma mater) has an excellent Pop Fam department and a great MSPH in the area you want! There is also health disparity in the International Health department. Ever consider out west...USF? UofA? or near Michigan, the Ohio State?

I've been mainly looking at 2 year MPH, but I am applying to some MSPH programs (UMASS...) for schools that require the 2 year professional experience. I hadn't really considered JH because I heard it was super competitive. U of A is arizona? I'd consider that, thanks for the info & glad i'm not too late in the game!

I've been mainly looking at 2 year MPH, but I am applying to some MSPH programs (UMASS...) for schools that require the 2 year professional experience. I hadn't really considered JH because I heard it was super competitive. U of A is arizona? I'd consider that, thanks for the info & glad i'm not too late in the game!

Sure, yes, JH is competitive but 1) schools on your list are too and 2) email professors in the area of your interest and inquire about the program and how they best fit students applying. They are responsive as is admissions office too. UofA is arizona :) and there is both the phoenix campus and the tucson campus; the programs are great and expansive to global health. I mention OSU because of their top performing Public Health School and really great Epi and then Health Behaviors sectors. USF is really hands on for medical anthropology arena.

Good luck!

Hey, you have a great chance at these schools! I am sure if you write about these well enough in the applications (your experiences etc) then you set yourself up better to show time spent = defined goals = fit for the school. You have great science background too and nice volunteer work. SPSS is a plus for many schools! However, various ones train masters / doctoral students in STATA and or SAS, but keeping versed in 2 stats programs, is very much so to your benefit. Have you added schools to your list? Good luck!

thank you for replying to mine :)
I changed my list a bit because i thought top schools would be hard for me.
I took out UC Berk and added Drexel and GW.
Again thanks so much!

thank you for replying to mine :)
I changed my list a bit because i thought top schools would be hard for me.
I took out UC Berk and added Drexel and GW.
Again thanks so much!

I like your addition of GW and Drexel! You can take a look at OSU if need be too. I encourage really reading the mission statements, the length of the program (What is required! like is only 1 semester or 2 terms or 4 terms of stat classes, thesis or capstone) and of course professors and the research going on. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am new to this site. Reading the success stories are comforting but I am still super nervous. I was wondering if any one could give me any idea on what I should expect. Thanks in advance!

Undergrad School: medium sized catholic college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.29 (junior/sr: 3.55)
Major/Minor: Political Science
GRE:
Fall 2016. My scores are pretty bad. Around 50-60 percentile in writing and verbal. Below 10 percentile in quant :(
Experience/Research:
1 year working at a rare disease non-profit. Position related to health advocacy and education
3 months interning with a youth reproductive justice non-profit
3 months interning with Planned Parenthood
3 months as a policy intern for a maternal child health non profit
3 months as a student research coordinator
various additional volunteer related experiences
Interested in: Health Policy
Applied: Pitt, Emory, BU, GW, Colorado, University of Illinois
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I apologize in advance if this comes off as harsh, but think you need to come up with a back up plan. A quant GRE score in the 10th percentile may disqualify you from all of those schools. Your GPA is low/average, so that does not make up for the scores. I am not sure if there are any accredited GRE-optional schools for non-MDs, but that's research you could consider doing. If I were you, I would prepare to re-apply for 2018 or Spring 2017 and study hard to re-take the GRE. I'm not saying it's 100% certain you will not be accepted anywhere you applied, but it's a possibility that I think you should consider. It sounds like you have some solid related experience and a clear interest in public health.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm hoping to get into a MS Biostatistics program. Any advice?
Undergrad: Top 20 University
Major: Math
GPA: 3.33
GRE: V 160, Q 162, AW 6
  • 2 summers of research with a psychiatrist. Helped develop his article and his statistical methods.
  • 1 summer and 1 semester of "shadowing" a Biostatistician working on a research project (that was the BEST opportunity the department can give me. They tried hooking me up with more formal research, but all the spots were taken by grad students).
  • An academic research project on statistics
  • Proficient in R and SAS
Short list of experience, mainly because biostats/stats research opportunities aren't available for undergrads. I had to go out of my way and hunt people down just to shadow the Biostatistician.

LORS: 1 from Psychiatrist research mentor, 3 from different math/stats professors.
Interests: Healthcare quality improvement using statistical research, prediction models of hospital readmission rates.

Applying to: UT School of Public Health, UTSA, UTEP, UTD, Colorado SPH, OHSU Public Health, Michigan, Oregon State, Texas A&M, Nebraska

Hi everyone! This site has been such a lifesaver throughout my college years as a resource, and now that I'm about to finish my undergrad years, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or feedback for graduate school. Thanks!

Undergrad School:
Public Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: currently 3.5, hopefully ~3.6 by the time I graduate in June! I do have various social science courses that were taken through community college and therefore not factored into my school GPA. I also will receive my bachelor's within 3 years, so I'm not sure if I should attempt to raise this through post-bacc classes.
Major/Minor: Public Health, concentration in policy
GRE: Haven't taken it yet!
Experience/Research:
  • Studied abroad in Asia for a semester, took PhD public health courses there (! so fun)
  • Interned at the Make-A-Wish Foundation for one school term
  • Interned at a cancer education/promotion nonprofit for one school term
  • Health & Wellness Expo Chair and Volunteer Co-chair for my local American Heart Association chapter Heart Walk event
  • Volunteer at the county public health department, working in developing and implementing alcohol/drug abuse prevention and treatment programs, and assessing community needs
  • General member of various school clubs/organizations related to my major
I'm aware my experience is quite limited :( I am planning on working for possibly 2 years or so before entering (so I would apply in Fall 2018). Thoughts on that? I have very little guidance from the people I'm surrounded by, as my academic office is usually nonresponsive and most of my professors have a "whatever you think is best for you" attitude.

LORS: Planning to get one from a professor, already have 2 from work supervisors
Interests: Will probably apply to either health policy or health education/promotion (not quite sure which category my experience falls into!)

Applying to: (tentatively) BU, Columbia, UW, UC Berkeley, UCLA, USC, SDSU - if there are other schools/programs that seem to be a good fit for what I've been doing, please let me know!

Last edited:
I need Advice! I am applying to MPH programs in healthcare administration next year. I need help deciding what schools to apply to. Are there any schools that I am considered a strong applicant when applying to or am I a stretch at most places?

Undergrad School: Oregon State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor:
BioHealth Science/ Public Health
GRE : Planning on taking it this summer

Experience/Research:

-Member of society of healthcare administrators on campus
-Volunteer youth sports coach for a term
-planning on volunteering at a local veterans hospital this summer.

Hi everyone. I have recently found an interest in epidemiology after having spent the last few years pursuing a degree/career in neuroscience. Naturally, I am not completely familiar with admissions standards for PH schools, so I'd like some advice. My qualifications are as follows:

Undergrad
: Ohio State (finished in 3 years)
Major: Neuroscience
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.64
Major GPA: 3.94
GRE: V 159, Q 155, AW 5.0 (taking again in August)
  • 1.5 years clinical neuroscience research (unpaid research assistant) at Ohio State. Investigated brain plasticity in healthy older adults, healthy young adults, and patients with neurodegenerative diseases (MS). Application of psychosocial interventions such as exercise training and mindfulness meditation on cognitive and affective functioning.
  • 1 year of psychosocial research (unpaid research assistant) at Children's Hospital. Investigated social, emotional, and cognitive effects of families and children of which the children have had brain tumors.
  • 1 year of data analysis of PET research studies (current full-time job) at University of Pittsburgh. Projects have included Alzheimer's, MCI, and eating disorder populations.
  • Familiar with command-line interface, PMOD, MatLab, Excel, REDCap, ADM, SPSS, R
  • Volunteer Young Life leader 3 years through college and 1 year (to current) as working professional
LORS: 1 from professor, 1 from previous PI, 1 from current boss
Interests: Chronic/infectious disease, Neuroscience, aging

Applying to: Ohio State, Pitt

Last edited:
Hello, I am planning to apply for MPH in Epidemiology, what are my chances and which other schools should I look to apply to?
Undergrad School: one of the UCs
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.17 (GPA went up in the last two years)
Major/Minor: Public Health
GRE: not yet taken
Experience/Research:
  • Research Assistant for 2 years (1 publication as second author)
  • Campus Health Educator for 2 years
  • Summer NIDA Research
  • First author for a poster presentation
  • Currently working as a coordinator at a clinic

LORS: two professors and one from work supervisor
Interests: I’m interested in chronic disease epidemiology, but I’m worried I don’t have enough of a quantitative background
Applying to: For MPH in Epidemiology- UCLA, San Diego State, UC Irvine, Columbia, UW, please recommend any others!

Undergrad School: SUNY Binghamton
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Major: Majored in Art History, minored in French Language and Literature
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): I took the GREs in 2011 so my scores have expired. I got a 161 in Verbal and a 151 in Quant. I was applying for Art History programs so I did not study for the Quant. I will take them again in September.
Experience/Research:
- None in Public Health!
Work
- For 3.5 years have been in administration at an art college in NYC
- Previously, internships at art galleries
Volunteer
- still working on this, I work full time and it's been difficult to find anywhere that can accomodate my schedule.
Other:
- Have taken online classes in Stats and Microeconomics through UMASS Amherst to brush up on math.
- I have read extensively on the subject (15+ books so far)

LORs:

- My boss at my current job who has been very supportive of my pursuit of this degree
- My senior seminar professor in Art History (unfortunately my thesis advisor passed away a few years ago)
- Another associate professor at my college

Interested in:
Health Management and Policy
Applying to: Columbia and Michigan are my top two, I will probably apply to more east coast schools.

I realize my information here is very sparse, but I just met with an admissions counselor from Columbia on Friday who told me that since my GPA is fine I just need to get 50+ percentile on the GREs and write a good personal statement. He told me I was doing too much by seeking volunteer opportunities and taking Stats and Econ. I really did not think this was good advice. Has anyone else reached out to an admissions counselor?

I realize my information here is very sparse, but I just met with an admissions counselor from Columbia on Friday who told me that since my GPA is fine I just need to get 50+ percentile on the GREs and write a good personal statement. He told me I was doing too much by seeking volunteer opportunities and taking Stats and Econ. I really did not think this was good advice. Has anyone else reached out to an admissions counselor?

I've talked to many admissions people as part of last year's applicant cycle. The advice the Columbia counselor gave you doesn't sound *wrong* to me, but it also sounds a little dismissive. Of course taking the stat and econ courses and doing volunteer work is a good idea since it will show your commitment to changing fields and help make up any disadvantage of coming in with an unrelated academic background. But, yeah, MPH admissions aren't very competitive. It's more about showing interest and potential than experience and accomplishment. I think his comments about your GPA & getting a decent GRE scores are completely accurate. It doesn't sound like you'll have a difficult time doing well enough on the GRE, so focus your energy on writing a compelling personal statement. I'm assuming you've got an interesting reason for switching into public health from the humanities, and your personal statement is where you highlight factors like that. Look through the 2017 fall admissions thread and you'll see that you stack up solidly against people who were admitted to Columbia, Michigan, and similar-caliber programs.

Thanks for your reply wwmmkk! He said a few other things that really put me off (i.e. I asked him how to let it be known that my thesis advisor died and therefore I am missing a valuable recommendation and he suggested I write my personal statement about her death and how it inspired me to pursue health (??) which is not the case at all. He also kept saying public health is about "making people smile" but I see very little correlation between that and health policy.)

I guess I will keep trudging along as I had intended!!

I've talked to many admissions people as part of last year's applicant cycle. The advice the Columbia counselor gave you doesn't sound *wrong* to me, but it also sounds a little dismissive. Of course taking the stat and econ courses and doing volunteer work is a good idea since it will show your commitment to changing fields and help make up any disadvantage of coming in with an unrelated academic background. But, yeah, MPH admissions aren't very competitive. It's more about showing interest and potential than experience and accomplishment. I think his comments about your GPA & getting a decent GRE scores are completely accurate. It doesn't sound like you'll have a difficult time doing well enough on the GRE, so focus your energy on writing a compelling personal statement. I'm assuming you've got an interesting reason for switching into public health from the humanities, and your personal statement is where you highlight factors like that. Look through the 2017 fall admissions thread and you'll see that you stack up solidly against people who were admitted to Columbia, Michigan, and similar-caliber programs.

Undergrad School: A school in the SEC conference
Undergrad GPA: 3.76 (A 4.0 my entire senior year)
Major: Public Health
GRE or Other Test Score: 160Q 161V 4.5 W
Experience/Research
:
- First author on a smoking cessation published paper. Taking a gap year to work as a research assistant (mainly as a participant screener, data input and cleaning, and a few other small projects)
Work
- Teaching assistant for a psych and biostats class.
Volunteer
- None

LORs:

- a few professors from my undergrad
- my current research mentor

Interested in:
Health policy, healthy economics, and epic
Applying to (for fall of 2018 admission): Columbia, Harvard, Michigan, NYU, University of Washington, Cal

I graduated from my undergrad in the spring of 2017 and I want to apply this fall. Do I have any chance at getting into these schools?

Last edited:
I am currently looking at 2017 fall application for MPH programs
Undergrad School: Top 10 non-Ivy
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.34 - 3.4/something similar
Major/Minor: double major environmental science/global health
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V158 Q163
started out initially as a bio major - co-authored three published research papers in immunology
one year of lab research in a cardiology lab
2 month internship in an environmental advocacy NGO
past NIH summer internship in neuroscience
current research on environmental toxicology regarding E-waste
involved in campus service-oriented club (50+ service hours)
(EMT certified - not sure if this helps)
does not have any full-time work experience so schools that require work experience is not within consideration

Interested in: UNC, UMichigan, UW, Columbia, Yale, GW (pref environmental tox/health related program, but open to all)

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Ohio State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.8
Major: Nutrition in Industry
Minor: Korean, Human Development and Family Sciences, Business
GRE 155 verbal, 161 quantitative, 4 essay (taken in the fall of 2016)
Experience/Research -
Childrens Hunger Alliance - Afterschool nutrition/education specialist (since Feb '17)
9+ years of charity work with my church (since 2008)

not sure if my work experience is relevant but I recently got into public health and wanted to get some opinions or some help. my GPA is low due to mental health issues that I was going through and I was pre-med and just did poorly. Within the last 2 years of my undergrad, I made deans list and did very well every semester so I was hoping to explain that in my personal statement.

I am still working for CHA but am able to go back to school if needed (talked with a few advisors and i've taken a lot of credits so going back and retaking the problem courses for a better grade isn't going to be too beneficial - their words) to take graduate courses to demonstrate my ability.

Thoughts? I'm pretty new to this forum so feel free to direct me to any websites or forums that could help me out.

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm planning on applying for an MPH in epidemiology. I eventually would love to work as an epidemiologist for the CDC so the first three schools would be preferred.

Undergrad School: Western Oregon University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.37; 3.74 (Major)
Major: Community Health Education
Minor: Human Biology
GRE Not taken yet, plan to do so within the next two months (Took a practice test a few months ago and got a measly 149Q / 146V. That was with absolutely no studying though.)
Experience/Research -
Public Health Intern for county WIC department. (2 months/~240 hours)
Peer mentor: Putting on wellness based programs for on-campus residents. (9 months)
Care-giving: Not really relevant for my desired course of interest (Epidemiology), but I need to pay loans and rent.
LOR'S:
-3 undergrad professors that I have taken multiple courses with, they were very supportive and I can only imagine they have positive things to say.
- One of those professors is an Emory alumni and I'm hoping that will give me sort of boost.

Interested in: Emory(#1), Boston University, Georgia State University, Oregon State University(Fail-safe)

Do I have any shot at getting into any of these schools, I'm worried that my lack of relevant experience will hinder my chances of getting into Emory or Boston. Also any other ideas for schools that I could apply to would be greatly appreciated!

Undergrad School: University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.34; 3.72 (Major)
Major: English Language and Literature
Minor: Food & The Environment, Arab & Muslim American Studies
GRE Not taken yet, but on all practice tests I've been getting around 160V and 158 Q. Will be taking the actual test in 21 days.
Experience/Research -
  1. Outreach Chair for the Undergraduate Journal of Public Health at U of M
  2. Research Assistant for a professor at the University of Michigan's School of Public Health in the Health Behavior and Health Education Department. Research focuses on housing discrimintation and its impact on health. I started in July, but I will have been working for 7 months at time of application being due! The research is along the lines of exactly what I want to be involved in with my work in the future.
  3. Peer Facilitator for the Global Scholars Program (1 year)
  4. Co-Chair for the Middle East and Arab Network (3 years being the Public Relations Manager)
  5. Office Assistant at the Science Learning Center
Interested in: University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, UCLA, John Hopkins, etc. I would like to get an MPH in Health Behavior and Health Education/Community Health Sciences, etc. (go by different names at different schools) and with, ideally, a dual degree with a Masters in Urban Planning or Masters in City and Regional Planning (MURP/MCRP)

Any programs you think someone interested in the built environment and public health should look into?
Also, I am very aware that I have a humanities heavy degree, but I'm hoping my experience and other courses I've taken as electives will help (Grad Level Public Health Courses related to Nutrition and Health Behavior and Education, Courses in Urban Planning and Courses on Food Systems).

I graduated May 2016, and I am excited to apply the next round of SOPHAS for fall 2018! Long time creeper; first time poster.
Undergrad School: Public Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6; 3.8 (Public Health), 3.7 (Psychology) (Strong upward trend, my freshman year I had several family issues that my GPA terrible).
Major: Public Health & Psychology
GRE: Taken November 2016: 150 (Verbal); 156 (Quantitative); 4.5 (Writing)
Experience/Research -
  1. Undergraduate Social Psychology Research
  2. 1 Internship at the hospital (2 years) and 2 program evaluation internships with a nonprofit and county government
  3. AmeriCorps Program volunteer post graduate
  4. Full time job currently with a hospital working with mental health research
  5. Tons of volunteer experience throughout college
Strong letters of recommendations.
Interested in: Health Policy Programs (My AmeriCorps program made me extremely interested in policy, particularly health disparities, access, and evaluation); I'm primarily interested in Emory, Tulane, and George Washington, but also will probably be applying to Boston and UNC and then UGA and Univ of SC as safeties.

I am basically wondering if I should re-take the GRE or spend time on my application. If I have a strong personal statement, would I need to re-take the GRE? I would pretty much be okay going with Emory, Tulane, or GW. What are the chances that I will be accepted to any of those three schools? I can re-take the GRE; I just really don't want to pay the fees to take it again while also paying all of these application fees.

Undergrad School: Large Public University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.85; 4.0 (Sociology)
Major: Sociology and Psychology, Minor in Biology
GRE: Will take in mid-October (is this too late?)
Experience/Research:
  1. Independent research project in Madagascar regarding SRH status of women in rural villages; encouraged to and might pursue publishing
  2. Honors Thesis on effects of culture on sexual behaviors, knowledge, and perceptions among South Asian women
  3. Planned Parenthood Fellowship and work
  4. UN Women related work, and work for some NGOs (local)
  5. Education/Research Volunteer for Domestic Violence Organization
  6. Other Research: Data Analysis/qualitative research for university president, OB/GYN research assistant, neuroscience research assistant, independent research project regarding race perceptions (did a presentation at a regional UG conference)
  7. Intern/Volunteer experience in clinics and hospital setting
  8. A bunch of leadership experience (OL, RA, UG government), teaching assistant experience (biology lab, sociology, organic chemistry), and awards.
Interested in: I'm interested in sexual and reproductive health, maternal and child health, global health, social epidemiology. More generally, I am interested in research, healthcare, and policy/action. I'm actually not entirely sure where to apply and if I'm fully qualified to apply yet, since I have no full-time employment experience in the field. I have a general list of schools that I'm finalizing, but would love some suggestions! :)

Undergrad School: Medium State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2/3.77 (Senior)
Major/Minor: Health Administration and Policy (Public Health)
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking 8/26
  • Research Assistant in a university social psychology lab for 6 months
  • Intern at Johns Hopkins Center for Learning and Health for behavioral research related to substance abuse and HIV/AIDS for a summer
  • Medical clinic volunteer in Panama
  • Shadowed an American internist in Nigeria for a summer
  • President and volunteer of a community service student organization for 1 year
  • Volunteered for a food security NGO for children for 2 years
  • Campus student advocate for food insecurity awareness
  • Sociology undergraduate teaching assistant for 2+ years (with a semester break)
  • Public Health course assignment assessor/"grader"
  • Secretary for a public health student org
  • Participant in the National Model African Union Conference
Special factors: black woman, lived abroad for 4 years, second-generation immigrant, Igbo fluency (beginner), French fluency (beginner)

LORS: Head of public health department public health internships, Sociology professor/ TA supervisor, Director of Africana studies department/former professor/club supervisor

Interested in: Global Health (especially in sub-Saharan Africa), Health Policy, Health Economics, Human Rights

Applying to: JHU MSPH- International Health/Health Systems, Columbia MPH- Health Policy and Management, NYU MPH- Global Health, Emory MPH- Global Health, UPitt MPH-Health Policy and Management, GW MPH- Global Health Policy, UPenn MPH-Global Health

** I know my GPA is very average and, by the looks of it, the competition for Fall 2018 is fierce. Am I in over my head?

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some feedback on a couple of concerns - overall, I believe I am a strong applicant, with above average GPA and GRE scores, and strong letters of recommendation (and hopefully a strong Personal Statement!), but I lack public health experience. I'm applying this year for Fall 2018-start Epi programs. I've done three six-month paid internships in college as part of my degree (co-ops), but none of them had much of anything to do with public health - I worked for a homeland security research institute, focusing on infrastructure resilience; I worked for the MA Attorney General's Office in the Criminal Bureau, doing mostly data/stats analysis and lead development; and I am currently working at my university's Center of Community Service, doing project management, some web development, and a little bit of budget writing. These are all valuable experiences, for sure, but I have absolutely zero idea how to use them to my advantage during the application process. I have some classwork/independent research (capstone) focused on lead poisoning and the Toxic Substances Control Act, but that's about the extent of my experience.

Any advice relating to how to spin these things in my favor, or how to gracefully explain my lack of experience directly in the field, would be much appreciated!

Hey guys - curious what you all think of my stats so far
Undergrad: Colorado State
Major: Biological Sciences - Concentration in Cellular, Molecular and Genetic Biology
Minor: Mathematical Biology
Overall GPA: 3.99
Major GPA: 4.0
GRE: taking this winter, haven't scheduled yet
  • Not a whole lot - been working full time as a brewer since I started my undergrad
  • Worked on a research project building an ecological niche model for Rocky Mountain Wood Ticks
LORS: 1 strong letter from professor whose project I worked on, 1 strong letter from my chemistry lab professor, and 1 letter from my parasitology professor
Interests: specifically interested in EID's, infectious disease epidemiology, and biostatistics

Applying to: UC Berkeley MPH-Biostat/epi, Yale MPH-epi of micro diseases.
want JH or Harvard for the infectious disease concentrations

my main question for you guys, would it be worth it for me given my interests to try and get more work/research experience and shoot for JH or Harvard? Was thinking of getting a MT cert and working for a hospital lab then applying, think that would be intense enough work experience to get into a top program?
Additionally if I were to just try for Berkeley or Yale, would my total lack of experience be off set by my gpa?
Cheers and good luck everyone

Last edited:
Feeling stuck choosing between MPH and DrPH/PhD programs related to community health, prevention science, and health education. My advisors/former bosses think my background and prior master's is enough to get into a doctoral program right now, but without a proper MPH or coursework in biostats I'm not feeling that's the case.

Undergrad School: Private liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6
Major/Minor: Psychology
Grad School: Ivy
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.8
Grad Studies (if applicable): Master of Education in Prevention Science
GRE: Conversion of my old GRE scores would be 160V, 152Q, 5AW. Currently scoring 165V, 155Q, 5.5 AW on practice tests, but my math skills are pretty rusty.
Experience/Research:
- Three years as peer health educator in undergrad
- Three years as research consultant writing socio-emotional health curriculum
- CDC PHAP program - program coordinator for a school-based STI screening program, program evaluation and intervention development for LTBI patients
- Presented twice at PHAP seminars, presented to TB PEN on LTBI work, had poster on same project accepted to TB Union conference but was unable to attend
- Fellowship with CDC focused on adolescent health policy

Special factors:
Some admissions counselors seem to like that I've taken a nontraditional route into public health

LORS: Current CDC manager, 2 program managers and chief medical officer from PHAP host site, master's thesis advisor if need be

Interested in: School-based healthcare, adolescent health, socio-emotional development, infectious disease, domestic health policy

Applying: GW (MPH&DrPH in Prevention and Community Health), JH - DrPH (customized track), Maryland - College Park (MPH&PhD programs in Behavioral and Community Health), UMiami (PhD in Prevention Science and Community Health), Texas A&M (MPH&DrPH in Health Promotion and Community Health), UT-Houston (MPH&DrPH in Health Promotion and Health Behavior), Michigan (MPH&PhD in Health Behavior and Health Behavior)

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hi everyone,

Just trying to see what you all think of my profile and whatnot. My GPA isn't great from undergrad or masters, but you tell me what you think. I'm applying to 11 programs with the hope that someone will accept me! I haven't submitted my applications as I was waiting to hear back from professors but think I may submit in the next week or so anyway.

Undergrad Institution: Rutgers
Major(s): Public Health
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.128

Type of Student: female late 20s

Postgrad: MPH from GW in Global Health - 3.4 GPA

GRE Scores:
Q: 159 (73%)
V: 156 (73%)
W: 4.5 (82%)

Research Experience: '
  • Almost 3 years with CDC in southern Africa (that's where I am now), as a co-investigator on a well-known HIV study
  • 2 years in clinical research (HIV care in children/adults) at a hospital in DC
  • A few months as a field interviewer on a behavioral HIV research study
  • 1 year undergrad research assistant at an AIDS program

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
  • CDC global health fellowship
  • Scholarship from GW to do practicum work abroad
  • A few different undergrad scholarships
  • First-author on a peer-reviewed paper (based on my master's thesis)
  • Girl Scout Gold Award (like eagle scout but for girls)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
  • All the above research jobs were paid (except the undergrad RA),
  • Masters practicum with UN agency abroad doing trend analysis/end of year reporting
  • Was an Emergency Medical Technician in college for 3 years
  • Peer educator/HIV test counselor in college
  • Volunteered in Central America with a small NGO for a summer and two weeks throughout the school year

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:
  • Presented at 3 conferences on different research
  • Started a student group in grad school that provides medical leadership to Haiti

Special Bonus Points: Two of my LORs come from CDC epidemiologists (not sure if this counts as special bonus points as neither are directors or that "well-known" scientifically but they're both supervisors with tons of epi/global health experience)

Applying to Where: UW (global health metrics), Rutgers (Epi), Tulane (epi), oregon (epi), UC Berkeley (epi), Columbia (epi), UCLA (epi), Harvard (pop health sciences - global health and population), GW (epi), Hopkins (International health - global epi), and probably Emory (epi), Brown (epi)

Hi, first time posting because I just applied for spring 2018 admission to Pitt and was denied. Thus, I want to reapply for fall (to other schools as well) but be more critical and realistic with my chances.

Undergrad School:
Pitt
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.8 (I know this is terrible, but I faced a decent amount of medical problems/chronic illnesses/hospitalizations during undergrad.)
Major/Minor: Molecular Biology (minor in Chem)
GRE: Took the GRE in September 2017, 158V 161Q 4W - I'm not sure if I should retake this or not to get a better score, especially for writing.
Experience/Research:
- 1.5 years of pediatric research regarding adolescents with depression and anxiety (was published in a small paper here as well)
- 6 months of neuro research using PET scanning on drug addicts/PTSD patients
- 2ish months volunteering as study recruiter at a pediatric clinic (screening patients who come in, etc.)
- I just recently started a job as a caregiver under an agency that provides these services to the underserved/those who can't afford caregivers. By the time I submit my application, I'd have at least 3 months experience here.

LORS: 2 from my PI and supervisor from the pediatric research position, 1 from my molecular biology professor (I didn't do amazingly well in her class but I asked her/she agreed to writing one be because I met with her every week to go over class work for literally a year)
Interested in: very very interested in epi, but I could enjoy behavioral and community health and genetics
Applying: My top choice is Pitt because I'd rather stay close to home due to health reasons. Otherwise, I'm not sure where else to apply. Suggestions definitely appreciated!

Accepted:
n/a
Rejected: Spring 2018 - Pitt
Waitlisted: n/a

Last edited:
Hi, first time posting because I just applied for spring 2018 admission to Pitt and was denied. Thus, I want to reapply for fall (to other schools as well) but be more critical and realistic with my chances.

Undergrad School:
Pitt
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.8 (I know this is terrible, but I faced a decent amount of medical problems/chronic illnesses/hospitalizations during undergrad.)
Major/Minor: Molecular Biology (minor in Chem)
GRE: Took the GRE in September 2017, 161V 158Q 4W - I'm not sure if I should retake this or not to get a better score, especially for writing.
Experience/Research:
- 1.5 years of pediatric research regarding adolescents with depression and anxiety (was published in a small paper here as well)
- 6 months of neuro research using PET scanning on drug addicts/PTSD patients
- 2ish months volunteering as study recruiter at a pediatric clinic (screening patients who come in, etc.)
- I just recently started a job as a caregiver under an agency that provides these services to the underserved/those who can't afford caregivers. By the time I submit my application, I'd have at least 3 months experience here.

LORS: 2 from my PI and supervisor from the pediatric research position, 1 from my molecular biology professor (I didn't do amazingly well in her class but I asked her/she agreed to writing one be because I met with her every week to go over class work for literally a year)
Interested in: very very interested in epi, but I could enjoy behavioral and community health and genetics
Applying: My top choice is Pitt because I'd rather stay close to home due to health reasons. Otherwise, I'm not sure where else to apply. Suggestions definitely appreciated!

Accepted:
n/a
Rejected: Spring 2018 - Pitt
Waitlisted: n/a

Hey! Congrats on continuing the application process even with that setback. I have a few points you might want to consider.
  • Since your GPA is low, you should absolutely retake the GRE and focus on making it as high as possible to demonstrate that you do have academic potential. Like, I would aim for above the 80th percentile in all sections. It is especially important to have a good quant score when applying to epi programs. Writing scores are not very important at all. If you search the forum, you can find recommendations for GRE prep. I see Magoosh get referenced a lot, but you may also want to consider taking a formal class.
  • Do you have any publications resulting from the research you did? Data briefs? Reports? Emphasizing those might make up for your low GPA.
  • Can you get a recommendation letter to replace the one from your molecular biology professor? I know some schools require a letter from a professor, so pick whoever can write you an enthusiastic, wholly positive one. Working so closely with that professor reflect well on you, but if she spins it as "this person needed a lot of help and still didn't do great" instead of "this person's effort has great potential for further study", that doesn't help you at all. Find someone who can write you a glowing letter.
  • Is there anyway you can take a public health, research methods, or biological sciences course next semester? Maybe at a community college or if Pitt offers reduced tuition for alumni? It won't impact your GPA at the time of application, but sending a mid-semester transcript or report from the professor might demonstrate that you're in a better place to do well in school now.
  • Did you submit a statement about your low GPA separate from your personal statement? The personal statement should focus on your strengths, interests, and goals. Explaining your GPA in light of your health issues should be done separately (even if you are interested in epidemiology related to your own conditions) so as not to detract from what you do have to offer. People in admissions at the schools you are applying to may be able to give you more guidance on the best way to do this.
I know Ohio State and University of Buffalo have MPH programs that are less competitive than Pitt but geographically close. Maybe there's something at Case? Philadelphia has Drexel and Temple. If you look through the 2017 and 2016 AAWR threads, you might be able to find schools where people with sub-3.0 GPAs got accepted if that's a more important criteria than proximity to home for you.

Good luck!! There are many success stories of people with low stats on this forum if you need a confidence boost.

Hi everyone, I'm looking to apply for MPH or MS in Epi programs for Fall 2019 and feel a bit lost. I had a rough time in undergrad and transferred a lot and am afraid that will ruin any chances I have of getting into a program, despite having solid LOR and a lot of experience. I was wondering what you all think of my stats or have any insight. Thanks in advance!

Undergrad School:
Large State School
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.7 at Large State School that I got my degree from, but I transferred three times (I know it's awful, see special factors for explanation) and had one really bad semester so my total cumulative is around a 3.2. Major GPA is 3.8.
GRE: Haven't taken it yet but my predicted score is 145Q and 158V (hopefully it will be higher; I plan on taking classes and studying hard for the GRE)
Experience/Research:
- Currently work as a oncology Research Assistant full time for an Ivy League university
- Worked for 1 year as undergraduate research assistant with a harm reduction program for IV drug users and presented data at 2 conferences
- Created educational tools for harm reduction program
- Worked at a different Ivy League for 4 months as a clinical research intern
- Worked as a volunteer coordinator for a family planning non-profit for 3 years
- Worked as a call center representative for family planning non-profit for 3 years
- Worked at family planning non-profit for 4 months as interim development assistant
- Worked for several local political campaigns doing phone banks, canvassing, and tabling events
- 4 months volunteering at animal shelter
- 4 months volunteering at an LGBT center
- 4 months volunteering at a food security non-profit
- Currently preparing to start volunteering at synagogue
- Week-long volunteer trip to West Virginia where we provided health education, hearing tests, and vision exams
- Worked as an outreach specialist for 6 months at a food stamp and public benefit non-profit

Special factors: Queer woman, experienced homelessness during undergrad (hence all the moving around), father passed away from cancer during undergrad, overcame an abusive relationship during undergrad, overcame severe eating disorder and OCD that required 5 hospitalizations in high school and undergrad, worked entire way through undergrad, mostly looking for online/executive programs.

LORS: I have a ton of options here and have been told by several professors and employers they'd be happy to write a solid letter, I'm just not sure who would be the best to choose. I have a professor that I had for 4 classes, another professor that I had for 3, a professor that I had for 1 class and worked for as an undergrad research assistant, and several bosses/managers.
Interested in: Epi
Applying: MS in Epi at Columbia (executive program), Johns Hopkins online/part time, Harvard online, Yale MS in Epi (I work there, if that makes a difference), UMass online MPH, Southern CT State University MPH. Any other online or executive programs I should consider?

Hey guys! I'm hoping to get into a MS Biostatistics program. Any advice?
Undergrad: Top 20 University
Major: Math
GPA: 3.33
GRE: V 160, Q 162, AW 6
  • 2 summers of research with a psychiatrist. Helped develop his article and his statistical methods.
  • 1 summer and 1 semester of "shadowing" a Biostatistician working on a research project (that was the BEST opportunity the department can give me. They tried hooking me up with more formal research, but all the spots were taken by grad students).
  • An academic research project on statistics
  • Proficient in R and SAS
Short list of experience, mainly because biostats/stats research opportunities aren't available for undergrads. I had to go out of my way and hunt people down just to shadow the Biostatistician.

LORS: 1 from Psychiatrist research mentor, 3 from different math/stats professors.
Interests: Healthcare quality improvement using statistical research, prediction models of hospital readmission rates.

Applying to: UT School of Public Health, UTSA, UTEP, UTD, Colorado SPH, OHSU Public Health, Michigan, Oregon State, Texas A&M, Nebraska
We have very similar interests in using statistics towards quality improvement! I also applied to a few MS Biostatistics programs that you have listed. Curious to know how you are making your decision on where to go!

Hey ya'll! I'm just now making the major decision about whether to move forward and apply for MPH programs, but need a bit of advice before making the big move. It's clear (based on my background) that I'll be making a bit of a career move, however I think given my experience it could make sense. I have an MA already in international affairs, but for the past year or so have been working in global health. I'm now realizing that to move forward in the field, I may need to go back to school. Just need a bit of advice on what my odds might be!

Undergrad School: Big state school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.7/3.9
Major/Minor: Middle Eastern Studies/Government and Public Policy
GradGPA: 3.9
Grad Studies (if applicable): International affairs (from a top ten IR program)
GRE: When I first took the GRE, I was in the low 150s - hoping to jump up by 10 points to hit the 160s

-I've been working full time for almost 4 years - mostly in international development working on grants and contracts with USAID and the State Department. Over the past year though, I've worked at a fantastic global health NGO with many of my colleagues having graduated from the Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health. Working primarily in health systems strengthening and financing.

-I've also recently taken a course through American U in DC on Health Policy and Financing.

-Have a good amount of international experience from previous masters and jobs.

Interested in: Global health/health policy

Dream school is Emory!!

Hey ya'll! I'm just now making the major decision about whether to move forward and apply for MPH programs, but need a bit of advice before making the big move. It's clear (based on my background) that I'll be making a bit of a career move, however I think given my experience it could make sense. I have an MA already in international affairs, but for the past year or so have been working in global health. I'm now realizing that to move forward in the field, I may need to go back to school. Just need a bit of advice on what my odds might be!

Undergrad School: Big state school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.7/3.9
Major/Minor: Middle Eastern Studies/Government and Public Policy
GradGPA: 3.9
Grad Studies (if applicable): International affairs (from a top ten IR program)
GRE: When I first took the GRE, I was in the low 150s - hoping to jump up by 10 points to hit the 160s

-I've been working full time for almost 4 years - mostly in international development working on grants and contracts with USAID and the State Department. Over the past year though, I've worked at a fantastic global health NGO with many of my colleagues having graduated from the Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health. Working primarily in health systems strengthening and financing.

-I've also recently taken a course through American U in DC on Health Policy and Financing.

-Have a good amount of international experience from previous masters and jobs.

Interested in: Global health/health policy

Dream school is Emory!!
Emory was also my dream school! I got into Emory's HPM program and from what I can see, your stats are very good, especially your experience. My stats and experience were lower than yours and I got into my first choice program, so I think you have a good shot! Just make sure you demonstrate your passion for the program you're applying to and describe your experiences in the field.

P.S. You can DM me if you have any other questions about the application process! Good luck! :D

Emory was also my dream school! I got into Emory's HPM program and from what I can see, your stats are very good, especially your experience. My stats and experience were lower than yours and I got into my first choice program, so I think you have a good shot! Just make sure you demonstrate your passion for the program you're applying to and describe your experiences in the field.

P.S. You can DM me if you have any other questions about the application process! Good luck! :D

Thanks so much!! I'll definitely have some questions about the app process! Hoping to start it relatively early so I'm not overwhelmed come the fall.

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some guidance. Until recently, I was planning to attend veterinary school but after a lot of consideration, I would like to pursue my MPH with a concentration in One Health or Global Health. Since this is a relatively new field to me, can someone help advise me on what my chances are of being admitted? I'm a little worried that because my experiences are only animal related, it'll have a negative impact on my application. Also, does anyone know any schools that offer the One Health concentration? The only ones I've found so far are Colorado State, U of Arizona, and Ohio State.

Undergrad School: NC State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.57 (Animal Science GPA-3.71; Poultry Science GPA-3.76)
Major/Minor: Animal Science with a Veterinary Bioscience concentration and Poultry Science
GRE: 152 on both sections for a combined 304
-Currently employed as a Necropsy/Research Technician for an ophthalmic research company (testing drugs in animals that will hopefully be able to be used in humans one day)
-Worked in a 24 hour emergency veterinary hospital for 4 years, a general practice for 2 years
-Worked in a research lab for 2 years where I did my own project and presented this research at 2 national conferences
-Worked on swine nutrition research trials for 2 years (mostly just lab animal tech work)
-Worked on a swine farm and turkey farm for 1.5 years
-Extracurricular activities: Ambassador for my College, Chancellor's Aide, Recruitment Chair for a professional sorority, helped plan a national pre-vet symposium, Mentor for Women in Science and Engineering Village

Interested in: One Health preferred, also interested in Global Health since One Health is a challenging concentration to find

My top schools are Colorado State or Arizona for One Health. I'm also looking at Oregon State for Global Health.

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know any schools that offer the One Health concentration? The only ones I've found so far are Colorado State, U of Arizona, and Ohio State.
Hey! I was just doing some research on this for something else and have a few links for you. One Health is a such a cool field, but I don't know if MPH programs are moving towards it yet. The ones that are seem to be weaving it into their Environmental Health tracks moreso than their Global Health tracks, so that may help. You may also have to consider MS and other degrees. As you connect with students and staff at the programs that interest you, you could also ask where else they recommend you apply given your interests. Of course let them know that their program is your first choice but that you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket and are committed to studying One Health :).

Tufts
University of Florida
University of Washington
Virginia Tech

I know nothing about VTech as public health school... I actually didn't know they had any public health there until researching One Health degrees. They are a very solid vet school, though, and their MPH seems to be equally housed in their vet and med schools. I think that's a sign that their One Health focus is legit. I'm not sure how schools without vet or ag programs are approaching One Health. I think as long as their accreditation is renewed (it says they got initial 5 year accreditation in 2013), it's worth serious consideration.

Hi, I am a long time lurker on this forum and I'm applying for the Fall 2019 application cycle. I just wanted to get an idea of how competitive my application would be (if at all??). Please feel free to be brutally honest. I'm thinking I'll need to work for a few years before I get in anywhere.

Undergrad School: UW
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.8
GRE: 157 verbal, 150 quant, 4.5 writing
Experience/Research (please, be brief): This is where I'm nervous. I have very little experience because I had to work full time throughout my undergrad.
-9 months interning with a local global health nonprofit
-1 year working as a health educator on campus
-6 months volunteering in campus health center

LOR: One from my supervisor at my internship, one from a professor of microbiology and epi, and one from my job supervisor on campus.

Interests: MPH in global health or health policy.

Applying: UW, GW, Emory, and U of Maryland

Hi, I am a long time lurker on this forum and I'm applying for the Fall 2019 application cycle. I just wanted to get an idea of how competitive my application would be (if at all??). Please feel free to be brutally honest. I'm thinking I'll need to work for a few years before I get in anywhere.

Undergrad School: UW
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.8
GRE: 157 verbal, 150 quant, 4.5 writing
Experience/Research (please, be brief): This is where I'm nervous. I have very little experience because I had to work full time throughout my undergrad.
-9 months interning with a local global health nonprofit
-1 year working as a health educator on campus
-6 months volunteering in campus health center

LOR: One from my supervisor at my internship, one from a professor of microbiology and epi, and one from my job supervisor on campus.

Interests: MPH in global health or health policy.

Applying: UW, GW, Emory, and U of Maryland

From what I can see, your application looks good! There are a lot of applicants who are applying straight out of undergrad with little to no experience in public health. I didn't think I was going to get anywhere, let alone my top choice, due to my minimal relevant expereince and test scores. Your scores are quite average (and much better than mine lol), and I don't think they'll bring your application down. Your experience is pretty good, and as long as you write an awesome personal statement and have great LORs, I'm sure you'll get into most or all of your schools! You can DM me if you have any questions. :D

There are some schools that actually do require full time, post-undergrad experience, but they are in the minority. Most schools take people fresh out of undergrad and consider college experiences like the ones you listed to be "real" experience.

Based on some PMs I've gotten and this post, I think the role of experience is actually getting a little overstated on these forums these days. It's not that school are looking for a certain type of experience for a certain length of time (again, except in some very specific cases) like how there is a "magic number" of volunteer hours for med school applicants. It's more like they are looking for experiences that explain how your interest in public health developed or, if you've had the chance, how you explored it. Also, some types of experience (paid full time work in the field, research publications, etc.) can offset poor GPA and GRE, but if those stats are at least average compared to other applicants to the school, then I don't think experience is weighted as heavily.

The only school on your list I want to caution you about is UW. If you read through the 2018 thread, you'll see that many (maybe even all? can't remember) of UW undergrad alumns who applied were rejected, including ones with pretty impressive profiles. I'm not saying don't apply; just be warned that they don't like to take their own. I'd consider adding a 5th school to your list.

Reactions: 2 users
From what I can see, your application looks good! There are a lot of applicants who are applying straight out of undergrad with little to no experience in public health. I didn't think I was going to get anywhere, let alone my top choice, due to my minimal relevant expereince and test scores. Your scores are quite average (and much better than mine lol), and I don't think they'll bring your application down. Your experience is pretty good, and as long as you write an awesome personal statement and have great LORs, I'm sure you'll get into most or all of your schools! You can DM me if you have any questions. :D

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me! I'm retaking the GRE this summer to try to get my scores up. Congrats on getting into your top choice!