This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys..

I am a new member here. I am planning to apply for MHA this fall.
Please go through my profile, and give your opinions

I hold a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery Degree (M.B.B.S) from India.
GPA: >3.5
GMAT: 650

Experience:
around 4.5 years (including 1 year of internship)
- 1 yr Internship
- Resident Medical Officer in Neurology - 1 yr at a private hospital
- Medical Officer - 1 1/2 yrs at a health services firm
- Medical Officer - concentration - HIV/AIDS - government hospital

Extracurriculars:
- Volunteer : Indian Cancer Sociey
- Volunteer : Teach for India
- I have taken part in a lot of health related camps

I am looking to apply at USC, Michigan, John Hopkins, Duke.

I am not really happy with my GMAT score, and i can improve, i am trying to give another attempt in October, but i am not really sure.

Any suggestions on my profile, the choice of schools, tips to improve my profile is appreciated..
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I'm planning to apply for an MPH this fall, probably Social/Behavioral/Community departments with a focus on Global Health. Here's my info:

Education
BA International Studies, University of Michigan, 2013 (GPA 3.88)
(I have not taken much science - no bio, chem, or physics - but have taken college level statistics and calculus and received A's)

GRE
Verbal: 169
Quantitative: 156 (should be able to raise with retake)
Writing: 5

Experience
-summer internship with Salvation Army in the Anti-Human Trafficking department
-spending six months in Ecuador starting this September to learn the language/culture
-hoping to spend three months in Morocco next spring shadowing a public health worker

Questions:
1) Which schools should I apply to? I'm thinking UNC, Michigan, Columbia, Emory, Minnesota, Pitt, Berkeley, BU, Tulane. Does that sound right?
2) Should I consider taking more time off so that I can apply to schools that require work experience, e.g. Hopkins/Harvard?

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Honestly, if you raise your GRE scores you'll have schools falling all over you to attend.

Just write a good SOP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should have clarified that i'm applying for a MHA program.

My stats are

Verbal: 162
Quant: 159
Essays: 5.0
Cumulative GPA 3.3
Program GPA 3.7

I have 4+ years plus of work experience. The last 6 moths of which have been an entry level health position (non-clinical). Would ideally like to get into University of North Carolina.

Applying to these programs as well.
JHU
Michigan
St Louis University
Trinity
University of Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Minn

Should I broaden my application pool or should I be expecting to be able to receive admission to one of the programs listed? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Hi!

I’m planning to apply for an MPH this fall, probably Social/Behavioral/Community departments with a focus on Global Health. Here’s my info:

Education
(I have not taken much science - no bio, chem, or physics - but have taken college level statistics and calculus and received A’s)

GRE

Experience
-spending six months in Ecuador starting this September to learn the language/culture
-hoping to spend three months in Morocco next spring shadowing a public health worker

Questions:
1) Which schools should I apply to? I’m thinking UNC, Michigan, Columbia, Emory, Minnesota, Pitt, Berkeley, BU, Tulane. Does that sound right?
2) Should I consider taking more time off so that I can apply to schools that require work experience, e.g. Hopkins/Harvard?Which schools should I apply to?

If you are hoping to focus on social/behavioral/community health sciences, I recommend UNC, Michigan, Columbia, and Berkeley - and to a lesser extent, Yale. I would add UCLA to that list, as well. (Bias: I am going to UCLA this fall :D) All the schools you mention have strong MPH programs. However, if you are looking specifically into the concentration you have mentioned, some programs are better than others. Some programs will have social/behavior/community health as separate department(s) from global health. Berkeley has a strong curriculum in that concentration and thrives on community-based work. However, it does not have a separate global health department; it offers it as a certificate, instead. It looks like you have excellent international experience. I am sure you will be competitive in many programs. Emory and Tulane have excellent global health training, but the social/behavioral/community health sciences curriculum is better elsewhere.

Good luck! :D

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to apply for PhD programs next month, and am freaking out about the merits of my application. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

UG GPA: 3.69 Honors Psych/Chem minor
GR GPA: 3.86 MPH Health Behavior
GRE: 163 V, 156 Q, not sure on writing (this is my second time to take it and I don't know if I can bring myself to take it again in hopes of getting a higher Quant score)

Research experience: Since undergrad, worked on approximately 5 different research projects. Currently coordinate a R03 study at a university medical school. 1 first author publication, another submitted. President of a non-profit health promotion organization in my spare time, and member of a non-profit collaboriate group that includes the United Way, AARP and a few other bigger orgs, working to get private grant funding for projects.

The professors I'm interested in working with are at Columbia, Tulane, Minn, Colorado, Harvard, Pitt, Berkeley. A few of those are in Behavioral Sciences, but most are in EPI. I'm worried that my Quant score will screw me over, even though I made A's in all of my MPH stats/epi classes, and just generally that I'm not competitive enough to get in (with FUNDING) to such prestigious schools. :(

Does anyone know if saying you would like to be considered for aid can hurt your chances of being accepted to MPH programs? thanks!

Last edited:
to OP-im gonna add on to this if you don't mind. would love some input from you all.

I would like to apply to social/community health programs this fall

GPA: 2.7 undergrad, 3.59 post bacc (61 units over 1.5 years) = 3.01 cumulative
GRE: 150V, 150Q (i honestly am not sure if I have enough time to retake this and improve)
Activities: Founder/President Pre-Dental Club, Habitat for Humanity Member
American Cancer Society Member/Committee Chair for 2 years
Volunteer at UCLA Pathology Lab (UCLA Dental School)
Emergency Room Scribe for 4 years
(activities this year has been limited because i have spent most of my time taking full time classes)

1. Thinking of applying to GW (applied last cycle as an epi and was rejected), BU, Drexel, Columbia, UCLA, UC Irvine
-I attended the info session at UCLA and the officer strongly recommended I apply based on my improvements-saying that they do consider some students and will make exceptions based on the overall application
-UC Irvine is joining SOPHAS. anyone else knew that? this one is kind of a hail mary for me because the officer told me on the phone that they do not look at your app if you do not maintain an undergrad 3.0 gpa BUT that i can still try. (what does that even mean?)

2. I am having a hard time looking for programs that are more friendly towards students like me who have had to improve their academic standing, coming from a 2.7 undegrad gpa. more so because i am looking at sophas certified programs and those along the east/west coast (ideally california)

to OP-im gonna add on to this if you don't mind. would love some input from you all.

I would like to apply to social/community health programs this fall

GPA: 2.7 undergrad, 3.59 post bacc (61 units over 1.5 years) = 3.01 cumulative
GRE: 150V, 150Q (i honestly am not sure if I have enough time to retake this and improve)
Activities: Founder/President Pre-Dental Club, Habitat for Humanity Member
American Cancer Society Member/Committee Chair for 2 years
Volunteer at UCLA Pathology Lab (UCLA Dental School)
Emergency Room Scribe for 4 years
(activities this year has been limited because i have spent most of my time taking full time classes)

1. Thinking of applying to GW (applied last cycle as an epi and was rejected), BU, Drexel, Columbia, UCLA, UC Irvine
-I attended the info session at UCLA and the officer strongly recommended I apply based on my improvements-saying that they do consider some students and will make exceptions based on the overall application
-UC Irvine is joining SOPHAS. anyone else knew that? this one is kind of a hail mary for me because the officer told me on the phone that they do not look at your app if you do not maintain an undergrad 3.0 gpa BUT that i can still try. (what does that even mean?)

2. I am having a hard time looking for programs that are more friendly towards students like me who have had to improve their academic standing, coming from a 2.7 undegrad gpa. more so because i am looking at sophas certified programs and those along the east/west coast (ideally california)

1. I don't think your gpa is necessarily as much of a hindrance as you might think as your post-bac gpa is good, though your undergrad gpa certainly doesn't help. Not sure what the post-bac is in, but I would figure that you'd need to take some upper division/graduate level courses in public health related material, perhaps statistics in your case as your GRE doesn't help much either. What was the post-bac in?

2. I think the biggest problem is the lack of public health experience. You've got a smattering of extracurriculars, but none of them say "public health", or give a clear direction where you want to go career-wise. For example:

Founder/President of Dental Club, not to disparage, but not an interesting EC, just shows that you were Pre-Dental, but opted out of it at some point.

Habitat for Humanity: shows you are community minded, but not sure the bearing on public health.

American Cancer Society Member/Committee Chair. I'm assuming you weren't the "chair" of the American Cancer Society, maybe you were a volunteer and organized some fundraising or something? Not sure if this was public health related or not.

Volunteer at Pathology Lab. Usually, if you didn't have a paid position in research, then ad coms are kinda wary of the value of a volunteer experience.

Emergency Room Scribe. If this was a paid steady position, then that is good, and presumably you talked about how this related to your interest in public health, but not necessarily a "high quality" experience in which you learned a lot of skills, were exposed to a new culture, or gained first hand public health experience.

I think ad coms can be turned off if they are a smattering of activities that are kinda all over the place and a lot of "leadership" titles, but not hands on experience. I think for your own knowledge of public health careers, you should volunteer in a position that gives you hand-on public health experience, and take some public health courses. Your app, and forgive me if this is wrong, kinda says, pre-dental to post-bac to maybe public health now. I'd sit back and figure out what you want to do with an MPH and explore those options.

1. I don't think your gpa is necessarily as much of a hindrance as you might think as your post-bac gpa is good, though your undergrad gpa certainly doesn't help. Not sure what the post-bac is in, but I would figure that you'd need to take some upper division/graduate level courses in public health related material, perhaps statistics in your case as your GRE doesn't help much either. What was the post-bac in?

2. I think the biggest problem is the lack of public health experience. You've got a smattering of extracurriculars, but none of them say "public health", or give a clear direction where you want to go career-wise. For example:

Founder/President of Dental Club, not to disparage, but not an interesting EC, just shows that you were Pre-Dental, but opted out of it at some point.

Habitat for Humanity: shows you are community minded, but not sure the bearing on public health.

American Cancer Society Member/Committee Chair. I'm assuming you weren't the "chair" of the American Cancer Society, maybe you were a volunteer and organized some fundraising or something? Not sure if this was public health related or not.

Volunteer at Pathology Lab. Usually, if you didn't have a paid position in research, then ad coms are kinda wary of the value of a volunteer experience.

Emergency Room Scribe. If this was a paid steady position, then that is good, and presumably you talked about how this related to your interest in public health, but not necessarily a "high quality" experience in which you learned a lot of skills, were exposed to a new culture, or gained first hand public health experience.

I think ad coms can be turned off if they are a smattering of activities that are kinda all over the place and a lot of "leadership" titles, but not hands on experience. I think for your own knowledge of public health careers, you should volunteer in a position that gives you hand-on public health experience, and take some public health courses. Your app, and forgive me if this is wrong, kinda says, pre-dental to post-bac to maybe public health now. I'd sit back and figure out what you want to do with an MPH and explore those options.

i was pre-dent my junior year of college which is when i opened up the club. by the time graduation hit-i knew i wanted to pursue public health one way or another

my post bacc is informal-i have been taking upper div classes through ucla extension and a few cc classes as well.
took a load of public health related courses: epidemiolgy (A), womens health (A), public health (A) as well as: calculus (A), stats (B)

this has been the bulk of what i have been doing all year-while working the hospital job.
i have had difficulty finding a public health internship/volunteer job (i am near Los Angeles)

BUT i forgot to add that I recently started volunteering at a local free clinic-its once a week, 4 hours at some church. its open to everyone and we get all kinds of people come in. does that count as hands on care? its the only thing that i have been able to get in terms of additional experience

i was pre-dent my junior year of college which is when i opened up the club. by the time graduation hit-i knew i wanted to pursue public health one way or another

my post bacc is informal-i have been taking upper div classes through ucla extension and a few cc classes as well.
took a load of public health related courses: epidemiolgy (A), womens health (A), public health (A) as well as: calculus (A), stats (B)

this has been the bulk of what i have been doing all year-while working the hospital job.
i have had difficulty finding a public health internship/volunteer job (i am near Los Angeles)

BUT i forgot to add that I recently started volunteering at a local free clinic-its once a week, 4 hours at some church. its open to everyone and we get all kinds of people come in. does that count as hands on care? its the only thing that i have been able to get in terms of additional experience

I think the clinic experience is a great idea, and because you took a lot of public health related classes, this is a feather in your hat, and it will help when you are applying, I would say apply broadly and you will get in, but look at everything regarding a school, i.e. the tuition, geographical location, and if they are focusing on what you want to concentrate in.

The clinic experience is good, but I'm still (and this is not your fault), getting the sense that there are a lot of disjointed experiences, I think a great way to talk about the evolution of your interests, would be exactly that, why not dental and why public health. You have a great background in Epi/Women's Health/public health . . . but you need to tie it all together, and it helps having an "ah ha!" moment, and with the knowledge you have, I think the adcoms will expect to see something like that in the personal statement/application.

For example, (and I'm making this up), I'd expect to see a narrative woven together, something like:

I decided against dental school as my clinical experience working as an ER scribe for years made realize how important the study, and application, of public health principles are for our health care system as a whole. My epidemiology and women's health courses were the most interesting coursework I completed in college, and I knew I want to pursue this interest in public health by obtaining an MPH and concentrating my studies in women's health.

But more than just an abstract interest in public health, I wanted to learn more about the women in our ER who were infected with a sexually transmitted infection, and how women face specific hurdles with regards to discussing sexually transmitted infection with their partners, and how such diseases impact prenatal care.

Your ER scribe experience is probably great for discussing motivations in your essay, and I probably short-changed it as I wasn't sure exactly what it was.

The important thing is in the essay to have a stream of consciousness and a clear motivation or two that tie the story together and help the reader get the gist of who you are as a person. If it is just a chronological list of extracurriculars, then it is hard to see the person for the application. Since you have taken a lot of upper division public health related coursework, are an ER scribe and are volunteering in a clinic, use that to your advantage, discuss your perceptions of public health, perhaps a memorable situation involving a patient, and how you could see getting an MPH would help you do what you want to do career-wise.

I think the clinic experience is a great idea, and because you took a lot of public health related classes, this is a feather in your hat, and it will help when you are applying, I would say apply broadly and you will get in, but look at everything regarding a school, i.e. the tuition, geographical location, and if they are focusing on what you want to concentrate in.

The clinic experience is good, but I'm still (and this is not your fault), getting the sense that there are a lot of disjointed experiences, I think a great way to talk about the evolution of your interests, would be exactly that, why not dental and why public health. You have a great background in Epi/Women's Health/public health . . . but you need to tie it all together, and it helps having an "ah ha!" moment, and with the knowledge you have, I think the adcoms will expect to see something like that in the personal statement/application.

For example, (and I'm making this up), I'd expect to see a narrative woven together, something like:

I decided against dental school as my clinical experience working as an ER scribe for years made realize how important the study, and application, of public health principles are for our health care system as a whole. My epidemiology and women's health courses were the most interesting coursework I completed in college, and I knew I want to pursue this interest in public health by obtaining an MPH and concentrating my studies in women's health.

But more than just an abstract interest in public health, I wanted to learn more about the women in our ER who were infected with a sexually transmitted infection, and how women face specific hurdles with regards to discussing sexually transmitted infection with their partners, and how such diseases impact prenatal care.

Your ER scribe experience is probably great for discussing motivations in your essay, and I probably short-changed it as I wasn't sure exactly what it was.

The important thing is in the essay to have a stream of consciousness and a clear motivation or two that tie the story together and help the reader get the gist of who you are as a person. If it is just a chronological list of extracurriculars, then it is hard to see the person for the application. Since you have taken a lot of upper division public health related coursework, are an ER scribe and are volunteering in a clinic, use that to your advantage, discuss your perceptions of public health, perhaps a memorable situation involving a patient, and how you could see getting an MPH would help you do what you want to do career-wise.

yeah-day by day i am realizing the significance of a personal statement. thanks for giving me a guideline-i think i have some direction on how to start it. if you don't mind-can i send you a final copy for review? (it wont be for a few weeks at least)

and i think i should give the gre another go-the score is just too low. i will have to make some time but it's something that needs to be addressed. 43% quant score isn't going to cut it.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah-day by day i am realizing the significance of a personal statement. thanks for giving me a guideline-i think i have some direction on how to start it. if you don't mind-can i send you a final copy for review? (it wont be for a few weeks at least)

and i think i should give the gre another go-the score is just too low. i will have to make some time but it's something that needs to be addressed. 43% quant score isn't going to cut it.

I'd be happy to give you my first impression of your personal statement, and make suggestions content and structure wise. It's always a good idea to get a couple of opinions on the personal statement. Feel free to PM it to me.

Hi!

I’m planning to apply for an MPH this fall, probably Social/Behavioral/Community departments with a focus on Global Health. Here’s my info:

Education
(I have not taken much science - no bio, chem, or physics - but have taken college level statistics and calculus and received A’s)

GRE

Experience

Questions:
1) Which schools should I apply to? I’m thinking UNC, Michigan, Columbia, Emory, Minnesota, Pitt, Berkeley, BU, Tulane. Does that sound right?
2) Should I consider taking more time off so that I can apply to schools that require work experience, e.g. Hopkins/Harvard?

Thank you all for your thoughts! I just retook the GRE and got a 162 in Quantitative (~84th percentile) and a 163 (~91st percentile). Do you think those scores will be competitive for scholarships? Would you recommend taking it again?

Thank you all for your thoughts! I just retook the GRE and got a 162 in Quantitative (~84th percentile) and a 163 (~91st percentile). Do you think those scores will be competitive for scholarships? Would you recommend taking it again?

Man!! Either you are lying or you really are that naïve. If you really love giving the GRE so much you are welcome to come over to my country and have a go at it for me. ;)

Hello,
Friends

I am keen to join MPH in any top schools
My profile :

Pharma MBA GPA 3.3

M.Sc medicinal chemistry GPA 2.75

B.Sc. Chemistry GPA 3.3

4.5 years work experience:
Pharma (3 yrs Regulatory affairs , market research) & public health(1.5 yrs)

Currently working as a public health program manager & trainer at national level, India

also 3 years volunteer experience as a consultant in a public health NGO

GRE: 322 ( Q-167, V-155 , AWA 4.0)

I am looking for Harvard, Berkeley, john Hopkins, LSE or any top schools but my GPA is very low. Will these schools consider my application or I should apply in some lower grade schools as well?

I want in Berkeley, what are my chances? please help me out :(:confused::confused:

Thanks

Hi everyone, I've just joined this forum and would really like some advice on my chances for applying for my MPH focusing on Socio-Health Sciences/Community Health/Behavioral Sciences for Fall 2014.

BS in Psychology and Minor in Public Health from Boston University
GPA: 2.96 (hoping to get it to a 3.0 by the end of this semester). Yes, I know it's low and this might be the thing that kills me. However, I do have a reasoning as to my low GPA because of mental health issues in my freshman year.
GRE: V 151, Q 146. Essay: 5.0

Experience:
-Interned at Planned Parenthood for one semester, currently in training to be a certified sexual health hotline counselor
-Interned at Brigham and Women's Hospital for one semester in HIV/AIDS outreach
-Started an internship with Advocates for Youth to promote sexual health on college campuses.
-Started an internship at a IPV organization for mental health resourcing and community outreach.
-Taken two grad courses at BUSPH and enrolled in three more this semester
-Summer internship at an immigration coalition to research immigrant health disparities and understand non-profit management, grant reporting, etc.

Comm Service:
-Tons pertinent to South Asian activism, LGBTQ activism and health disparities among LGBTQ youth of color, and reproductive justice in the world of women of color for at least one year

Why MPH: to understand community health needs and interventions particularly for women of color and reproductive access and justice and to reduce health disparities among these groups in accessing reproductive health services

LORs: A professor who's known me from two classes for a year, my advisor who's also been my professor for two classes and known me for more than a year, employer from Planned Parenthood who's known my for a year

Is my GPA a total hinderance to my application?

I'm only interesting in applying to University of South Florida and Emory. Most likely USF is my top choice, but if I get into Emory by some stroke of luck, I'd go to it.

Thanks everyone! :D

Hello. Believe me, I've pored over the various forums, but my situation is unique enough I thought I'd throw my data out there, and see what pops up! I want to be accepted into a MS or MPH, Epidemiology, preferably get some funding, applying this fall for fall '14.

Undergrad GPA 2.54, History
Graduated '96 after a tumultuous 9 years -- grades are truly all over the place. Took plenty of sciences.

Luckily, it gets better from here:

7 years doing Construction Project Management on multi-million dollar projects.

Masters, Teaching, 3.98

Currently Public High School teacher, 10 years, 10 years coaching 3 sports.

GRE: 166v, 159q (I took it this morning. Will take it again, I scored a bit higher for the quantitative on ETS powerprep and feel I mismanaged the clock a bit/ drew a short straw on question selection).

I'm Taking 2 online courses (Biostatistics, and Epidemiology) through an online Certificate program (accredited program). I've only had quizzes and homework so far, but 100% on all work.

What do you think?
The low undergrad GPA is soul crushing; But, it was almost 20 years ago; since then I've had 2 separate careers, interrupted only by the Masters. When the Undergrad is so long ago, how much more does the Grad GPA weigh.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Hello. Believe me, I've pored over the various forums, but my situation is unique enough I thought I'd throw my data out there, and see what pops up! I want to be accepted into a MS or MPH, Epidemiology, preferably get some funding, applying this fall for fall '14.

Undergrad GPA 2.54, History
Graduated '96 after a tumultuous 9 years -- grades are truly all over the place. Took plenty of sciences.

Luckily, it gets better from here:

7 years doing Construction Project Management on multi-million dollar projects.

Masters, Teaching, 3.98

Currently Public High School teacher, 10 years, 10 years coaching 3 sports.

GRE: 166v, 159q (I took it this morning. Will take it again, I scored a bit higher for the quantitative on ETS powerprep and feel I mismanaged the clock a bit/ drew a short straw on question selection).

I'm Taking 2 online courses (Biostatistics, and Epidemiology) through an online Certificate program (accredited program). I've only had quizzes and homework so far, but 100% on all work.

What do you think?
The low undergrad GPA is soul crushing; But, it was almost 20 years ago; since then I've had 2 separate careers, interrupted only by the Masters. When the Undergrad is so long ago, how much more does the Grad GPA weigh.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

First, kudos! I think you exemplify someone who has a strong work ethic, commitment, and passion. These will surely benefit you in and out of school, whichever program you choose.

Undergrad GPAs (presumably) predict graduate school performance. This is a presumption because you clearly prove it otherwise. Despite the low undergraduate GPA - and yes, it is low. 3.5+ is considered competitive for admissions - you not only completed your undergraduate degree but also excelled in your master's program. This is followed by 10 years of hard work. The external rewards may be few, but without question, it will be highly regarded in the admissions process. Again, kudos. In this regard the undergraduate GPA matters less. However, what pops out is what happened during those 9 years. I can only assume that it was a difficult time, to say the least, to the extent that it affect your school performance because it is apparent that you can do well academically.

It goes without saying that the personal essay/statement of purpose will be key for you. The question is what areas in your essay you will address. Will you talk about those 9 years and what happened? Will you talk about your teaching experience? Will you talk about your interests in biostatistics and epidemiology? Will you speak to a number of these things?

Whatever you choose to speak about in your essay, I would highlight the common thread among them. They seem superficially disparate, but in your view, is there a thread that ties your undergraduate experience, those 9 years, the teaching, and now the interest in the MPH or MS? I would recommend, in particular, addressing why biostats/epi, why now, and why this/that program. What knowledge and skills do you have that they want? What training do they have that you want? Remember, graduate programs must sell themselves as much as you are selling yourself to them.

It is not uncommon for folks to return to school to pursue other interests. You will be an asset wherever you choose to go. However, while it seems that "life is interrupted" from you undergraduate experience to your current career, I would focus on the common threads and underlying themes that bind them. Make a strong case for how all that experience (both personal and professional) led you to biostats/epi.

...and quite frankly, it was the first thing that came to mind after reading your question: Why biostats/epidemiology?

If you can answer this question, you will be admitted.

Good luck!

First, kudos! I think you exemplify someone who has a strong work ethic, commitment, and passion. These will surely benefit you in and out of school, whichever program you choose.

Undergrad GPAs (presumably) predict graduate school performance. This is a presumption because you clearly prove it otherwise. Despite the low undergraduate GPA - and yes, it is low. 3.5+ is considered competitive for admissions - you not only completed your undergraduate degree but also excelled in your master's program. This is followed by 10 years of hard work. The external rewards may be few, but without question, it will be highly regarded in the admissions process. Again, kudos. In this regard the undergraduate GPA matters less. However, what pops out is what happened during those 9 years. I can only assume that it was a difficult time, to say the least, to the extent that it affect your school performance because it is apparent that you can do well academically.

It goes without saying that the personal essay/statement of purpose will be key for you. The question is what areas in your essay you will address. Will you talk about those 9 years and what happened? Will you talk about your teaching experience? Will you talk about your interests in biostatistics and epidemiology? Will you speak to a number of these things?

Whatever you choose to speak about in your essay, I would highlight the common thread among them. They seem superficially disparate, but in your view, is there a thread that ties your undergraduate experience, those 9 years, the teaching, and now the interest in the MPH or MS? I would recommend, in particular, addressing why biostats/epi, why now, and why this/that program. What knowledge and skills do you have that they want? What training do they have that you want? Remember, graduate programs must sell themselves as much as you are selling yourself to them.

It is not uncommon for folks to return to school to pursue other interests. You will be an asset wherever you choose to go. However, while it seems that "life is interrupted" from you undergraduate experience to your current career, I would focus on the common threads and underlying themes that bind them. Make a strong case for how all that experience (both personal and professional) led you to biostats/epi.

...and quite frankly, it was the first thing that came to mind after reading your question: Why biostats/epidemiology?

If you can answer this question, you will be admitted.

Good luck!
Thank you for your thorough response.

The 9 years of undergrad is interesting: I won and lost 2 scholarships. I changed schools 3 times, and changed majors numerous times. There was a parental divorce, and a friend's suicide. But honestly excuses are excuses: I'd say I was a bright young man who had no idea what he wanted to do, and for the last few years when I was writing my own checks I was happy to be distracted by work and play.

Working in Project Management taught me that all that ego and pride in talent was nothing if I couldn't remember the key lesson that showing up is 90% of life. Once I locked that in, it's been pretty easy ever since: Not necessarily easy, as the online biostatistics class is a bit challenging being 2500 miles away from campus, or not easy as teaching 200 kids a day is never easy (had 60 AP Gov kids in a choir room with no desks one year)... but easy in the sense that I finally 'got' that you do the work until it's done.

That of course made the teaching masters degree a piece of cake, and while there is nothing easy about teaching high school, or coaching, a little maturity and reflection went a long way.

Why epidemiology? I like puzzles. I like searching for causes and effect, and I like challenge. As I explore the field further, I'm even more engaged in the aspects of tearing the problem apart to look for true causality. And then tearing it apart again if it seems I've just found correlation. I favor epidemiology over biostatistics right because it favors my managerial skills, people skills and social science (history teacher) skill set more, and there seems to be a qualitative aspect to go with the quantitative. Exploring 'deep whys.' Plus, with only a 159q score, I should probably leave the math to the smart kids. And perhaps it's not obvious, but teaching and coaching are very much public health field -- sports and health is an obvious correlation, but even in my relatively affluent community, knowing when a kid is hungry, tired sick is part of my job. Now I just want to do something on a higher order. I want to solve bigger problems.

And, good advice on the SOP: I've been mulling over the SOP. I am few weeks away from submitting apps as I'm going to be spending hours typing 240 semester hours worth of coursework into SOPHAS (seems like they could just get it off the transcripts) and probably will take the GRE again to get 3 or 4 more quantitative points. But I feel pretty strongly that my managerial experience in Project Management gives me the organization, planning, and scheduling skills necessary to become an outstanding researcher.

And teaching and coaching for 10 years has given me fantastic communication skills, presentation skills, and interview skills, while building on the planning and management piece from Project Management. Not to mention the skills for my 2 jobs, and 10 years of year round coaching 3 sports (mostly volunteer) has pretty well defined 'team work.'

I'd like to think that I can contribute in some small way to doing something valuable. Certainly I think my 17 years in two jobs has made real measurable contributions: But I'd like to take the skills I have that are good, and combine them with an intrinsically fascinating career -- and affect some real change.

Thanks for the very useful constructive feedback. I'll focus on what I can affect NOW with the creation of the SOP, and use that to minimize the old stuff. Appreciate it.

Hey everyone!

I would love to go to Yale, JHU, Columbia, Emory, Harvard, UCLA or Berkely for my MPH/MSc in Epi and want to know what my chances are/ what I can improve on, so here it goes!

I just finished my fourth year at the University of Toronto. (Will be doing a fifth due to changing my program mid-way).

cGPA = 3.5+ (1st year = 2.58, 2nd year = 3.68, 3rd year=3.93, 4th year = 4.0, 5th year=4.0 I hope!)

Majored in Human Biology/Health and Disease, Minored in Spanish and Italian.

- Hospital volunteering at SickKids (500hours) clinical+research
- Worked on three research projects with three different doctors at SickKids
- Should have three pubs in prep (1st author on one, 2nd author and 3rd author); these are all epidemiological/public health related studies on obesity and food insecurity
- Shadowing physicians and epidemiologist
- Work in doctor's office
- Worked as research assistant at SickKids enrolling and recruiting patients
- Heart and Stroke Foundation Volunteer as Heart Health Ambassador educating public on risk factors for CVD and stroke

Other randomness:
- Speak four languages in addition to english (native), summer abroad in france, intramural soccer captain, won scholarships for languages, dean's list, a few scholarships, residence mentor...

Have to take GRE still, will take MCAT too!!! (AM I SCREWED? I WILL TAKE IT IN A MONTH)

Ultimate aim is to combine MPH & MD.

I welcome any suggestions on how I can improve my prospects! Thanks for reading everyone :)

Hello :)

Could someone please provide some suggestions/opinions on my chances of getting in UCLA, UCI, University of Washington, or SDSU's MPH Epidemiology program?
Major: Health Science/Global Health concentration
GPA: 3.55 (Major GPA is higher)
GRE: V 144 Q 152 (English is not my native language... I moved to the U.S. during high school... It has been hard to bring up the verbal score...)
1 volunteer experience with a non-profit health organization on early breast cancer detection
1 internship experience with a professor on tobacco prevention and control

Compared to many, I feel like my experience is lacking... GRE is terrible... I don't know if I will even have a chance of getting into one of these schools...
My SoP is decent and LoRs are strong...

Thank you all for reading and I'd greatly appreciate any comments :)

I feel like such an underdog. If there are any schools you guys think I should apply and what my chances are that would be SUPER MEGA AWESOME **double posted in the MPH '14 thread as well**

Undergrad School: UCSD
Undergrad GPA: 3.14
Major/Minor: B.S. Biology, B.A. History, and Minor in Anthropology
GRE (including date taken): 159 V (81%) and 156 Q (65%) taken 11/4/13, waiting on writing. -only a month of studying, got into the game late because I realized by the end of September I wanted to do public health and found out all the due dates were coming up. Instead of waiting for another year, I decided to take a gamble.

Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 2 years research on making a transmission blocking Malaria vaccine out of Algae (1 publication)
  • 1.5 -present biotech company research in protein expression optimization for vaccine
  • 1 year Vice president, 1 year treasurer of Nikkei Student Union (Japanese American Club)
  • Volunteered in Amazon rainforest, Ecuador educating children on Nutrition
  • Volunteer English tutor for international students
Other than that I'm also diagnosed with depression/anxiety. Don't know if I should include this in my SOP.

Applied: UC Berkeley (MPH: Infectious Disease and Vaccinology), (Thinking about applying to Columbia, Emory, USF, SFSU, UC Davis, amongst others)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Reactions: 1 user
Hello again, America!
I returned about 2 months ago after 2 years serving in the Peace Corps (youth development). I was always pre-med but my senior year in college and my time in the PC made me realize that what I want to work in is public health (health policy and management). I'm going to write about that in my SOP but what I'm predominately worried about is my GPA (undergrad: 3.16) and the schools I'm applying to. I feel like all the schools I want to go to are actually really far out of my reach and I'm being silly... but what can I say. I aim for what I want.

So here are my stats, and if anyone out there can give me a more grounded view of my chances and knock some sense into my head, I would seriously appreciate your advise/comments!

Undergrad School: Cornell Univ.
Undergrad GPA: 3.16
Major/Minor: Major Psychology (Concentration Biopsychology), Minor Biology
GRE: Taken May 2011, Score- 1450 (670V <estimated 164V> 93%, 780Q <estimated 163Q> 87%, and 5.5 Writing (97%)... studied for about a month, and messed up cause I've never taken a computerized test before... but probably not going to retake the exam cause exams are not fun)

Experience/Research:
- 2 years peace corps youth development volunteer in northern peru (worked with local health posts to create youth to youth sex ed programs, created municipality recognized youth council for 5 district province, formed committees in 2 local high schools composed of teachers/parents/students in campaign against family and sexual violence in conjunction with district emergency women's center, received grant to create nutrition and small business cooking club for mothers in conjunction with local soup kitchen, ran weekly radio channel disseminating information on youth oriented topics esp. health, created bimonthly school for parents with local psychologist to teach communication/sex ed/peer pressure/etc, acted as translator for ngo doctor group performing skin/eye/cleft surgeries, and lots of other stuff... didn't fit most of this in my CV but whaddya gonna do)
- 3 years college experience (board member) in student club (Cornell Minds Matter) focused on demystifying mental illness
- 3 years college experience (peer counselor) serving as anonymous peer counselor to Empathy, Assistance, and Referral Services (EARS) program
- 1 year experience in language lab (pilot study on language link to alzheimer's)
- 1 year experience in zebra finch research lab (role of neural mechanisms and early social environment in affiliative relationship of zebra finches)

Applied: Not yet, but I want to apply to Univ. Michigan, Yale, J.Hopkins, Berkeley, UCLA, Emory, Columbia, and Tulane... all of these in MPH Health Policy and Management.

Seriously feeling down on myself for the stupid GPA drop... was dealing with some things my senior year, but not going to make excuses and trying to focus on my post-college experiences!
Thoughts? Would love to hear them :)

Hey everyone, I'm a 2nd year MPH student and currently applying for PhD programs in environmental health sciences. >.< I hope I have a ghost of a chance

Undergrad Institution: UC-Riverside
Undergrad GPA: 3.017 Major Biological Sciences (pre-med) and Environmental Sciences minor
MPH GPA: 3.78 (hopefully 3.84 by graduation) Environmental Health
GRE: 152V/157Q/4.0W, December 2011

Related experience:
Undergrad
-
Lab assistant for almost 2 years in microbiology/botany; mostly PCR preparation
-Mission volunteer trip to a children's health clinic in El Salvador

Grad
-
Measuring particulate matter and black carbon levels from environmental tobacco smoke in downtown San Diego nightlife
-Thesis on measuring ambient air particulate matter and black carbon and source apportionment in Santiago, Chile.
-Graduate Assistant (GA) for graduate course environmental determinants of health

Extracurricular
-
Research intern for American Lung Association, working on measuring indoor exposure to particulate matter from environmental tobacco smoke in multi-housing units.

Applying to: Emory and UC-Irvine

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Best of luck everyone!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am currently applying for Fall 2014 MPH programs (and a joint MPH/MSW program at UCLA). I really don't know how competitive all of these schools are so any feedback would definitely be appreciated.

Undergrad: UCLA
GPA: 3.83
Major: Psychobiology
GRE: V166, Q159, W5.5... Was really surprised by my quant score because I am usually very good at math, so am going to retake to get that higher, probably

Experience: Unfortunately, my paid work experience doesn't have much to do with public health. I worked as a tutor and mentor for under-served students in the Hollywood area and did science and engineering projects with them. As far as research goes, I did some research on dopamine's effects on spatial learning in a lab on campus.

I was very involved on campus, though. I did a ton of work through Active Minds, an organization that promotes mental wellness and decreasing the stigma associated with mental illness. I was a general member then board member for two years, and presented as national conferences for the organization. I also did volunteer work with elementary kids doing nutrition and fitness classes, nutrition classes for students on the UCLA campus, anti-diet programs (promoting better health practices and decreasing negative body image issues on campus), etc. Also worked as a peer educator providing health and sex ed classes to high school students. I did a lot of community-based health work while I was at UCLA, and had leadership positions, but I definitely wasn't getting paid haha

I'm looking at applying to UCLA, Berkeley, SDSU, Yale, Michigan, and maybe Harvard's MS program. I really love UCLA's joint MPH/MSW program on paper but I don't know anyone doing it so I'm also not sure if it is as great as it sounds!!

Anyway, any input would be great :)

I am applying to CUNY Hunter MPH epi/bio program.

I have a 3.18 GPA from Stony Brook University (major: health science with a concentration in public health, minor: biology). Though this seems low, I have made the Dean's list the past 4 semesters in a row. I have a strong science/math background as well as research experience in the Sustainability Studies department here for the past year and a half with two published papers. Additionally, I am involved in numerous public health-related clubs on campus in which I actively hold leadership positions. I do not know how to even begin to know what schools I have a chance at. Help!!

does anyone here know how difficult it is to get into CUNY Hunter MPH? for Epi?

Last edited:
Great profiles :) Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I just submitted all my applications, and am starting to get pretty nervous. Any advice from people applying or currently at any of these schools of public health would be much appreciated.

Under/grad School:
Columbia University
Under/grad GPA: 3.52
Major/minor: Double Major: Biological Sciences and Middle Eastern/South Asian Studies
GRE: 164 V (93%) 162 Q (84%) 5 AW (93%) - June 2013
Experience/Research:
Research/Health-related Professional Experience
1) Summer analyst at Pfizer (Department of Global Outcomes Research/Health Economics)
2) 3 yrs undergraduate researcher at Columbia Med (Department of Neurosurgery and Neuropathology): 3 publications
3) 2 summers undergraduate researcher at Harvard Med (Department of Genetics)
Other Experience (yrs committed with org)
1) Chair of Global Health Committee (4 yrs) Led trips to Peru, Guatemala
2) Co-founder of Global Health teaching curriculum (4 yrs)
3) Editor-in-Chief of Columbia Undergraduate Science Journal (4 yrs)
4) ESL teacher to recent immigrants (4 yrs)
5) GED tutor to Rikers Island inmates (2 yrs)
6) Muslim Students Exec Board member (2 yrs)

Applied: Columbia (MPH in Epi, global health certificate), Yale (MPH in Health Policy, global health concentration), Harvard (MS in Global Health), Johns Hopkins (MSPH in International Health- Health Systems)
Main concerns: 1) GPA/GRE -- I know it looks fine overall but my science GPA is quite horrendous. I am not good at science testing at all, and my GPA has really taken a tank because of that. I am hoping my research experience mitigates that, and the fact that my Calculus III and Statistics grades are both As.
2) International experience -- Although I made it extremely clear in my personal statement that I am passionate and clearly focused on global health, I have not worked abroad in a professional setting since high school (I mentioned this in my SOP). I have traveled extensively in the Middle East/South Asia and my SOP is all about connecting the experiences I had growing up in terms of health disparities in these countries, the perspective I gained through extensive research experience, and my desire to connect my interest in healthcare and political systems in the Middle East/South Asia to the study of global health. I am worried that especially for a program like Harvard Global Health, they might not see my passion as enough in comparison to my lack of professional experience. Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi all!

I thought I would gauge my chances at the following schools given my background. I would love to hear your thoughts as I begin the process this upcoming year.

Undergrad:
BA Psychology/ Minor Health Policy (3.4GPA)
Top Ivy (H/Y/P)
Thesis on healthcare decision making

2 years of work experience by enrollment fall 2015:
Consultant for mid-tier firm (Deloitte, Accenture etc).
Business Analyst role on Health IT project

Previous internships in healthcare:
Healthcare strategy firm: domestic
Large public health NGO: international

Extracurriculars:
Various health policy clubs at undergrad (President, VP)
Consultant for regional health policy organizations-mostly strategy work
National science awards earned in high school (Intel, Siemens etc) (Would this be relevant nowadays?)

GRE: will take in April
Estimated from practice (Q:165; V:162; W:??)

LORs:
1 from thesis advisor; 1 from health policy professor, 1 from current employer (Ph.D)

Schools/programs: (Please advise on Master's vs. Ph.D. I would love to get straight into a Ph.D program)

Harvard (SM2 Management, Ph.D Health Policy Management track)
Yale (MPH Health Care Management, Ph.D Health Policy & Management)
Johns Hopkins (MPH or Master's, Ph.D Health Services Research & Policy)
Columbia (MPH Health Policy & Management)
UCLA (Master's Health Policy & Management)

I would love to hear your thoughts on applying to Health Policy & Management Ph.D programs without a Master's degree. Seems tough to get in.

Many thanks in advance!

Hello SDN!

I really haven't looked into what I want to do career-wise until now. In the midst of the middle of my junior year, I am now really looking into what I want to do, and MHA could be a possibility.

I am a people's person with a keen sense of logic. My mother is a business woman and I learned many of her skills growing up. I enjoy business but I really want to work in a meaningful field, thus hospital administration is something that I am really interested in.

Ok, now for some real facts.

Class status: Junior
Graduate date: Spring 2015
Major: Quantitative Economics
GPA: 3.70

Some extra-circulars:
President of my social fraternity for 1 year
A bunch of other positions in my fraternity
Recruitment director for a non-profit club
Studied at the University of Oxford for a term
20 hours of community service per semester
Working 2 part time jobs

Based off these statistics, what kind of schools (if any) would I qualify to? I understand that I still need to take the GRE. Assuming I do well, do I have a chance at a good program?

Sorry for this lengthy post but I really want to plan my future. All advice and comments are much appreciated. Thank you!

Warm Regards,
KVN

Undergrad School: Liberal Arts
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: B.S. Political Communication and Minor in Environmental Science
GRE (including date taken): 164 V (93%) and 153 Q (53%)

Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • (2 years) Divisional Data Analyst for the American Red Cross, covers Maine to South Carolina
  • (2 years) Research Associate Judgement and Decision Making at Harvard Business School
  • (Summer) Research Assistant Social Psych, Harvard GSAS
  • Top Abstract Award from American Association of Blood Banks
  • (1 year) Internship with US Senate, Ted Kennedy's Office, focus on Medicare Part D
  • (Summer) Intern at Harvard School Public Health, worked on a project for WHO
Also President of different clubs with PH focus during undergrad, honors society stuff all that. Just getting nervous about admissions now that it is done. That damn quant score.

Will that quant score squash me?

Applied: HSPH, SM2 behavior & BUSPH MPH behavior
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Your app looks good to me. From what I saw/ heard there isn't too much of a math/ science course requirement for your schools.

You've worked for only a summer? Graduated in 2013 or so, no? That may be the only issue, there does seem to be an emphasis on experience.

Really though, I think you look great. Wish I had your quant score. Best of luck.

Hi Guys,
I just submitted all my applications, and am starting to get pretty nervous. Any advice from people applying or currently at any of these schools of public health would be much appreciated.

Under/grad School:
Columbia University
Under/grad GPA: 3.52
Major/minor: Double Major: Biological Sciences and Middle Eastern/South Asian Studies
GRE: 164 V (93%) 162 Q (84%) 5 AW (93%) - June 2013
Experience/Research:
Research/Health-related Professional Experience
1) Summer analyst at Pfizer (Department of Global Outcomes Research/Health Economics)
2) 3 yrs undergraduate researcher at Columbia Med (Department of Neurosurgery and Neuropathology): 3 publications
3) 2 summers undergraduate researcher at Harvard Med (Department of Genetics)
Other Experience (yrs committed with org)
1) Chair of Global Health Committee (4 yrs) Led trips to Peru, Guatemala
2) Co-founder of Global Health teaching curriculum (4 yrs)
3) Editor-in-Chief of Columbia Undergraduate Science Journal (4 yrs)
4) ESL teacher to recent immigrants (4 yrs)
5) GED tutor to Rikers Island inmates (2 yrs)
6) Muslim Students Exec Board member (2 yrs)

Applied: Columbia (MPH in Epi, global health certificate), Yale (MPH in Health Policy, global health concentration), Harvard (MS in Global Health), Johns Hopkins (MSPH in International Health- Health Systems)
Main concerns: 1) GPA/GRE -- I know it looks fine overall but my science GPA is quite horrendous. I am not good at science testing at all, and my GPA has really taken a tank because of that. I am hoping my research experience mitigates that, and the fact that my Calculus III and Statistics grades are both As.
2) International experience -- Although I made it extremely clear in my personal statement that I am passionate and clearly focused on global health, I have not worked abroad in a professional setting since high school (I mentioned this in my SOP). I have traveled extensively in the Middle East/South Asia and my SOP is all about connecting the experiences I had growing up in terms of health disparities in these countries, the perspective I gained through extensive research experience, and my desire to connect my interest in healthcare and political systems in the Middle East/South Asia to the study of global health. I am worried that especially for a program like Harvard Global Health, they might not see my passion as enough in comparison to my lack of professional experience. Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated.

Help me out guys!

I'm graduating in December 2014 and im looking to go to grad school for public health for fall 2015. I know I have a year to go but I know it'll go by fast so I want advice on what to do to boost my stats.

Undergrad School: University of Maryland
Undergrad Major: BSN with biology minor
GPA:my overall GPA is a 3.45 but my major GPA is a 3.25
Internships:
In 2011 I interned for two hospitals in Haiti that were partners with USAID. I worked as a translator and also provided general care to patients with HIV/AIDS and TB
In 2013 I interned for a major clinic in Haiti and worked with nurses and other health care workers to improve their quality and delivery of care
This summer I will be doing a public health internship focusing on infectious diseases in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania for 2 months

Extracurriculars:
I am currently the events and funding officer for Students for Global Health and have organized various events throughout campus including a major global health conference.
From 2010-2012 I was the events coordinator for the Caribbean Students Association at my school and organized various events throughout campus.
I have numerous volunteer hours with organizations such as Yes Atlanta and Hosea feed the hungry and homeless

GRE: I haven't taken it yet I will be taking it this summer preferably in May

I haven't had time for much else due to the fact my schedule is hectic especially since I have 3 days of clinicals per week that are 10 hours each :(. It would be so awesome if I could get an internship in DC but I just don't have the time

I'm looking to get into an MPH program with either a global health or an infectious disease control focus. So far these are my choices and I need help narrowing them down.

University of Washington
Johns Hopkins
Boston University
Emory
Tulane
Yale
University of Miami
University of South Florida
Georgetown
USC
NYU
Tufts
University of Michigan

I feel like based on my stats most of these schools are a reach lol. So aside from the fact that I need to do good on my GRE,what else can I do to improve my chances of getting into these schools (particularly Johns Hopkins, BU, Yale, and Emory)?????

Thankyou! :)

Your app looks good to me. From what I saw/ heard there isn't too much of a math/ science course requirement for your schools.

You've worked for only a summer? Graduated in 2013 or so, no? That may be the only issue, there does seem to be an emphasis on experience.

Really though, I think you look great. Wish I had your quant score. Best of luck.

--Hi baboon22, thanks for taking a look - I really appreciate it. Actually I'm graduating this May 2014, still in undergrad and applying straight through. Good luck to you too!

Help me out guys!

I'm graduating in December 2014 and im looking to go to grad school for public health for fall 2015. I know I have a year to go but I know it'll go by fast so I want advice on what to do to boost my stats.

Undergrad School: University of Maryland
Undergrad Major: BSN with biology minor
GPA:my overall GPA is a 3.45 but my major GPA is a 3.25
Internships:
In 2011 I interned for two hospitals in Haiti that were partners with USAID. I worked as a translator and also provided general care to patients with HIV/AIDS and TB
In 2013 I interned for a major clinic in Haiti and worked with nurses and other health care workers to improve their quality and delivery of care
This summer I will be doing a public health internship focusing on infectious diseases in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania for 2 months

Extracurriculars:
I am currently the events and funding officer for Students for Global Health and have organized various events throughout campus including a major global health conference.
From 2010-2012 I was the events coordinator for the Caribbean Students Association at my school and organized various events throughout campus.
I have numerous volunteer hours with organizations such as Yes Atlanta and Hosea feed the hungry and homeless

GRE: I haven't taken it yet I will be taking it this summer preferably in May

I haven't had time for much else due to the fact my schedule is hectic especially since I have 3 days of clinicals per week that are 10 hours each :(. It would be so awesome if I could get an internship in DC but I just don't have the time

I'm looking to get into an MPH program with either a global health or an infectious disease control focus. So far these are my choices and I need help narrowing them down.

University of Washington
Johns Hopkins
Boston University
Emory
Tulane
Yale
University of Miami
University of South Florida
Georgetown
USC
NYU
Tufts
University of Michigan

I feel like based on my stats most of these schools are a reach lol. So aside from the fact that I need to do good on my GRE,what else can I do to improve my chances of getting into these schools (particularly Johns Hopkins, BU, Yale, and Emory)?????

Thankyou! :)

I think one of the most important things that schools look at is your personal statement/SOP. Just make sure you explain why the MPH will help you and your specific interests in the field. I know Hopkins looks for innovators in the field who may provide a "new set of eyes" -a nurse would definitely count!

Also internship wise- SOPHE hires interns almost year round and generally let you work remotely. I'd check it out!

Hi everyone,

I'm freaking out right now. Everything aside from my undergraduate GPA and GRE are flawless. Please let me know your thoughts. I'm desperately trying to get my MPH, so I can make the transition from strictly event planning and development roles for disease prevention based health organizations, to programming for international health organizations (FHI 360, MSH, PATH, PSI, etc.), and global health consulting for large consulting firms (Deloitte, BCG, John Snow, Inc.) and smaller global health consulting boutiques (Rabin Martin, Global Health Strategies, etc.). Johns Hopkins MPH or MBA/MPH would be my 1st choice, though I think my chances are slim for both programs. Really love Emory too, for either an MPH or their dual degree program.

Factors that could offset GRE Scores:
-I understand that Hopkins is very keen on high quantitative GRE Scores. Will having straight A's in all of my Calculus and Statistics courses help overshadow my low GRE score?
- Holistic Approach: I've heard work experience is extremely important for MPH programs. Having demonstrated my passions and the results I attained while working for each of these organizations could possibly speak more to admission counselors than my GRE/GPA.

Statement of Purpose- Excellent, accurately demonstrating how my personal health challenges have fueled my passion to bring better healthcare solutions to vulnerable communities in developing nations.
Letters of Recommendation (3)- one from the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, Top 5 Nonprofit Health Brand/Organization in the Country
- one from the CFO & COO of a smaller boutique nonprofit health organization
- one from past professor (Sex and Gender in Society-- ties into sexual health and other health issues) at UNC-Chapel Hill; hoping that helps my chances at Gillings School of Global Public Health
Background: Attended a Top 40 private institution in the Southeast, where I was pursuing a B.B.A. in International Finance and Marketing-- transferred with a 3.94 GPA. Was heavily involved in student organization focused on raising cancer awareness, volunteered at the local children's hospital, and organized my own fundraiser to raise funds for research for children's cancer. Transferred to UNC-Chapel Hill, changed my major to sociology. Held numerous leadership roles for both student organizations focused on health issues, fraternity, and religious organizations, wrote for The Daily Tar Heel. GPA suffered due to extenuating circumstance (hospitalized for unknown medical conditions on multiple occasions).
Undergrad School: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (Overall Combined)
Major/Minor: Sociology, International Finance and Marketing (Strong background; major from transfer school)
GRE (including date taken): Rather not disclose. Not good (Low 150s)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in Fall 2011. Worked for three nonprofit health organizations in a myriad of ways since September 2011. Two of the three are major nonprofit health brands (nationally known) and one is a smaller boutique. Have worked in development, marketing, communications, fundraising and event planning for each of these organizations. Started an online community for cancer survivors, patients and their families in '07, global reach of 11,000+ members. Highly involved in raising awareness and funds for critical health issues all through high school and college. Volunteered at children's hospital in college multiple times a week. Held numerous leadership roles in student health organizations at both universities that I attended. Will have 3+ solid years of work experience with nonprofit health brands before I start my MPH program in Fall '14 (if I get in anywhere)

MPH/ MSC. Program Rank
1. Johns Hopkins University
2. Emory University
3. Georgetown University
4. UNC-Chapel Hill
5. Duke
6. Tulane
7. GWU

Applied: Johns Hopkins University (MBA/MPH), Emory (MBA/MPH), UNC (MPH-Health Behavior), Tulane (MPH-Global Health and Development), Georgetown (Master of Science-Global Health), Duke (Master of Science- Global Health), GWU (MPH-Global Health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Hi
I am planning to apply for PhD in Public Health(interested in Social and Behavioral Sciences and Community health in a global aspect and would love to know your thoughts about my chances for Fall 2015 admissions to my preferred schools.

I am an international student from Bangladesh. My undergraduate was in Marketing and my CGPA was really really bad. However, I did a Masters from Ohio University in Communication and development studies(CGPA 3.95) and currently doing a Masters in Public Health from same school(haven't got my first grades yet, but it'd be good). I had previous work experience of working as a part-time Research Assistant in a Public Heath School in my home country (2 years), Communication Specialist in a health NGO (1 year) and Donor relations manager in the same NGO (6 months). I have a LOT of community services and volunteer experiences related to gender-based violence.

GRE: I gave the old one in 2010. Verbal: 530/155; Quantitative 630/150. Analytical: 4.0

I did my thesis on use of technology to provide service to sexual assault survivors on campus. I will also go to an African country for sexual violence research over summer. Around 10 conference presentations. No publications yet(hope to get accepted in some journal my the time I apply; not sure though).

My research interest is gender-based violence. I am looking for schools/professors with international focus.

My school list:
1. JHU- Health Behaviour and Society
2. Columbia University- Social and Behavioral science with anthropology focus
3. Emory University- Behavioral Sciences and Health Education
4. University of San Diego/ SDSU- Global Health
5. Tulane University- Global Health
6. University of Maryland- Behavioral and Community Health
7. University of South Florida-Community health sciences

I have identified professors I'd like to work with; and am in the process of contacting them. I would like to get suggestion about two things:

1) Should I take my GRE again? I know my scores isn't too good and I believe after studying in USA for two years, I'd now possibly do better in Verbal and Analytic. But, preparing for GRE is a lot of work and I'm not sure whether it's worth taking that stress.

2) I'd ideally like to apply to lesser schools; since application process is so costly and I don't have a lot of money. I have thought of eliminating schools if I don't hear back from the professors. Is that a good plan? Also, ideally how many schools should I apply to?

Any other suggestions are welcome:)

Hi everyone. The following are my stats:

- Undergraduate: Physics and economics (graduated at 18) & some undergrad research experience in physics, GPA 3.1
- Graduate: Law degree (graduated at 21), GPA 2.7
- Work experience: Active and reserve duty Marine Corps officer for >5 years. I served as a logistics office for a combat unit and am now a highly involved reserve officer - strong leadership experience. Also, I taught two undergraduate courses.
- GRE: waived due to my J.D. degree
- Other information: Took some undergraduate courses after leaving active service (microbiology, anatomy, etc) and I’ve been maintaining a 4.0 GPA in all of those classes (about 28 credits). (hopefully they will notice that I am now older and more disciplined, and am able to maintain a current 4.0 GPA)

I’ve already applied to a MPH program and I am wondering if I am a strong candidate. I intend to use my MPH to improve veterans’ programs at the national level, and I have stated this on my application.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
@Gator3314,

It certainly sounds like you've accomplished quite a lot! It might not be a bad idea to take the GRE just to offset your GPA from undergraduate and law school, not that they're anything to frown at. Of course, it also depends on the programs you're applying to for admission. The top programs are more competitive and attract a stronger caliber of students, so demonstrating your potential to succeed is only beneficial.

From an individual standpoint, your motive to go back to school sounds unique. Depending on how well you delivered your passion for improving the quality of healthcare (and access) for veterans, that will definitely make you stand out. Make sure that you chose past supervisors and professors who have really witnessed your skills and can speak the truth on your natural abilities.

I hope this helps! I think that you have a great shot at getting into MPH programs, though if you would like to attend a program like Harvard's or Johns Hopkins', then I suggest that you take the GRE and make sure all of your other application materials (recommendation letters, statement of purpose, etc.) are flawless. If you would like to address any extenuating circumstances that prevented you from reaching your potential at the undergraduate level and in law school, then you can always write a supplemental document.

On behalf of all Americans, thank you for your time and service, and best of luck!

Hi

I'm looking to apply to MPH programs for a concentration in epidemiology and I'm wondering how competitive my application is.

-Undergrad Major: Double BS Molecular Genetics & Microbiology
-Undergrad GPA: 3.08 University of Vermont (I have all A's in MMG classes. Chemistry really killed me (all C's).)
-Worked 35 hours a week during undergrad due to no financial support from my parents which led to a lower GPA.
-Undergrad Research: 1.5 years working in a bioinformatics project at UVM Center for Clinical & Translational Sciences at the School of Medicine
-Teaching Experience (Undergrad): 1 year TAing for introductory MMG labs (Intro Recombinant DNA Technology, Intro to Microbiology & Infectious Diseases)
-Internship: Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics (SIBS) at Emory University Rollins School of Public Health (Summer 2012)
-Leadership roles/Honor Societies: Vice President of Sorority, National Society for Collegiate Scholars, Vermont Scholars Award, Thomas J. Watson IBM Scholarship Award, Rho Lambda, Order of Omega, Tri Beta.
-3 strong letters of recommendation: (Chair of MMG Department at UVM, Associate Professor/academic Advisor for MMG at UVM, and Director for the Center of Clinical & Translational Science at UVM Med School (he sponsored my research)).
-GRE: taking tomorrow but predicted 160V 167 Q (will update with actual scores).
-4 years working at a local credit union (loans-while in school).
-1 year work experience in Nutrition industry (Product Development for vitamins & Nutritional supplements for doctors)
I always did well in science and math (except chemistry). If you take Chemistry out of my transcript (3 full years required, 1 year each of Gen Chem, 1 year orgo, 1 year biochem), My GPA is about a 3.5.

So, I am looking to apply to USC, USF, ETSU, and maybe a few others. Do you think these schools will overlook my chemistry grades?

Any insights would be helpful. I guess I won't know for sure until I apply!

-Undergrad Major: Double BS Molecular Genetics & Microbiology
-Undergrad GPA: 3.08 University of Vermont (I have all A's in MMG classes. Chemistry really killed me (all C's).)
-Worked 35 hours a week during undergrad due to no financial support from my parents which led to a lower GPA.
-Undergrad Research: 1.5 years working in a bioinformatics project at UVM Center for Clinical & Translational Sciences at the School of Medicine
-Teaching Experience (Undergrad): 1 year TAing for introductory MMG labs (Intro Recombinant DNA Technology, Intro to Microbiology & Infectious Diseases)
-Internship: Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics (SIBS) at Emory University Rollins School of Public Health (Summer 2012)
-Leadership roles/Honor Societies: Vice President of Sorority, National Society for Collegiate Scholars, Vermont Scholars Award, Thomas J. Watson IBM Scholarship Award, Rho Lambda, Order of Omega, Tri Beta.
-3 strong letters of recommendation: (Chair of MMG Department at UVM, Associate Professor/academic Advisor for MMG at UVM, and Director for the Center of Clinical & Translational Science at UVM Med School (he sponsored my research)).
-GRE: taking tomorrow but predicted 160V 167 Q (will update with actual scores).
-4 years working at a local credit union (loans-while in school).
-1 year work experience in Nutrition industry (Product Development for vitamins & Nutritional supplements for doctors)
I always did well in science and math (except chemistry). If you take Chemistry out of my transcript (3 full years required, 1 year each of Gen Chem, 1 year orgo, 1 year biochem), My GPA is about a 3.5.

So, I am looking to apply to USC, USF, ETSU, and maybe a few others. Do you think these schools will overlook my chemistry grades?

Are you applying for acceptance in Fall 2014? That's pretty late, but I'll assume you've checked deadlines if so. I would still call up and get to know people in those programs. At this point in the year they're very likely finalizing thing for next year.

Drop the "no financial support from my parents" stuff. Makes you sound like there's a chip on your shoulder. Find some way to qualify your GPA with "while I worked full time" in your statement. Your work experience is important but don't expound on it too much unless you can find some sort of relevance to a program that you're applying too.

On your CV, put honor societies with your ECs and any awards/scholarships in their own section. There's sort of a theme that the categories you broke your background up into isn't really the categories you want to use on your CV. The stuff's good but you put things together that would be better if split up. In particular, your ability to get funding for yourself is mucho important and needs to be highlighted.

I have no clue what those scores mean. I took the GRE in the XXXX/1600 days.

Chemistry probably isn't too much of a problem if you're applying to epi programs, so long as chemistry isn't directly relevant to the program's flavor (eg, pharmacoepidemiology). If the program your applying to is all about (say) program design and evaluation, the grade won't be a significant factor. You have good qualifications. If a program turns you down because of chemistry in spite of everything else, they probably didn't want you very much. Don't go to a program that doesn't want you very much.

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to apply to MPH programs this upcoming fall with a concentration in either epidemiology or community/social and behavioral health and was wondering if someone could tell me how competitive they think I may be or advice as to which schools fit my qualifications best.

I'm about to start my senior year at a small liberal arts university. I'm a Neuroscience major with a Public Health minor. My overall GPA is currently 3.206 thanks to difficulties with Chemistry my freshman and sophomore years (C+s- in Gen Chem and Orgo these are my lowest grades). I've taken over 30 credits of public health courses, including a year of Statistics (B+) and a semester of Epidemiology (A), and my Public Health GPA is a 3.458. I'm taking the GRE in a few weeks and will be sure to update with my scores at that time.

I'm a Peer Mentor at my university, so I teach a weekly class to my freshmen mentees that is designed to help ease them into college life. The past two summers, I've volunteered at a school for autistic children and within the community health unit in a hospital. I've been a copywriting/social media intern for a local first aid squad where I write educational public health blurbs for a little over a year. This summer I'm interning at another hospital with their mobile community health unit, which is a program that provides free health screenings and education to the community. I'm currently a DJ at my university's radio station (have been for two years), I founded and am currently the Vice President of my university's EMS/First Aid squad, and am also founding a quiz bowl team on campus in addition to being a member of a few other clubs, including an anti-bullying club and neuroscience club.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!