This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I'm applying to PhD programs in epidemiology this fall, but I don't have a masters degree and I know these programs are very competitive even with a masters. I'd really appreciate any input on what schools are reasonable to aim for/might be a good fit because I'd like to get started next fall :).

Undergrad: Emory
Major: Applied Mathematics
GPA: 4.0
GRE: V170, Q165
Research Experience:
- Guest researcher in the CDC Insectary studying transgenic mosquitos and mosquito mating (2 years)
- NASA intern studying harmful algal bloom detection (summer)
- Research assistant studying the transmission dynamics of West Nile virus, including fieldwork (2.5 years)
- Cognitive science research on language recognition (older, 1.5 years)
- Mathematics research on modeling aneurysm formation (0.5 years)
- Editor-in-chief for the undergraduate research journal (1.5 years)
- Co-author on two publications, some conference presentations, received a competitive scholarship for undergrad research
Professional Experience/Current Job: Electronic medical record software consulting for large hospitals (2 years)
LORS: Two from PIs of research projects, another from a graduate student mentor on a different project. Should one of these be from my current boss?
Interests: infectious disease epidemiology, climate change, spatial epidemiology and mathematical modeling

Tentative list of schools
(to be narrowed down further): UNC (top choice), Yale (top choice), BU, Brown, Emory (would this be discouraged since I attended for undergrad?), GWU, UAB, SUNY-Buffalo, SUNY-Albany, Tulane

Thanks in advance for any input!!

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly is the difference between an MS and an MPH.
Also why do you advise against a PhD?

Thanks for the advice!!!!!

@agh2415

My advice: find a job. I was planning on going straight from undergrad to grad school as well but I am so glad a took a year off. Getting a job for a year will help you save up for grad school, help you get into a better school, make you a better candidate for a PhD program AND most importantly you can see what the day to day life of someone is who has each degree. In school it is easy to think that the bigger degree is better but depending on what you want to do with it that might not be the case. Spend some time in the working world and see who in your office you actually want to be some day.

Hi guys! I'm highly interested in UTH-Houston Epi. How do my chances look with these stats?

-Dentist with just over 3 years of experience (including 1 year of voluntary work) [International applicant]
-GPA: 3.7
-GRE: 154 V, 158 Q, 4.5 AW
-TOEFL: 111
-LOR: 3 should be strong, no idea about the other 2
-SOP: Currently working on it

Any current MPH student at UTH here?
Also, how are the Texas A&M, and Colorado SPH? Any information will he highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undergrad: University of South Dakota
Major: Molecular Biology w/ Chem minor
GPA: 3.6
GRE: V160, Q157 W4.0 (Need to retake? Was generally in mid 90s for verbal in all practice tests and could boost math/writing w/ preparation)
Research Experience:
- 2 years in a neuroscience lab with 1 poster at SfN and 1 poster at research fair for school, 1 paper currently under review
Professional Experience/Current Job: AmeriCorps FEMA Corps doing distaster relief work through the US
LOR: 2 Strong from professors, work ones may be iffy given boss' writing ability/effort
Tentative list of schools University of Minnesota MHA/MPH, University of Michigan MHA/MPH, Brown MPH, Marquette MHA (only if receive fellowship)

Any recommendations for other schools that would be in my range?
May end up going law route following MPH or MHA

Undergrad: University of South Dakota
Major: Molecular Biology w/ Chem minor
GPA: 3.6
GRE: V160, Q157 W4.0 (Need to retake? Was generally in mid 90s for verbal in all practice tests and could boost math/writing w/ preparation)
Research Experience:
- 2 years in a neuroscience lab with 1 poster at SfN and 1 poster at research fair for school, 1 paper currently under review
Professional Experience/Current Job: AmeriCorps FEMA Corps doing distaster relief work through the US
LOR: 2 Strong from professors, work ones may be iffy given boss' writing ability/effort
Tentative list of schools University of Minnesota MHA/MPH, University of Michigan MHA/MPH, Brown MPH, Marquette MHA (only if receive fellowship)

Any recommendations for other schools that would be in my range?
May end up going law route following MPH or MHA

I don't know how USD is viewed in the world, so I can't say much about that. But GPA and GRE look fine. MHA is a bit of a change, so I would say focus writing your personal statement towards addressing your limited experience but desire to learn and why this switch would be good. Would say you should have a chance to get into those schools you mentioned.

hello,

Im applying to MPH-GH65-Harvard and MPH Epi-Columbia.

Undergrad: 4.00
Grad: 3.85
Registered Nurse
1.7 years nursing and 6 months research analyst experiance
Gre... going to take it in few weeks
LOR- 3 professors that speak well about my research and academic ability

interested in global health. any advise will be greatly appreciated :) thanks

Hello everyone

I graduate with my MPH degree this spring semester and looking into applying to some online DrPH programs such as UIC, UNC, USF and LLU. I was wondering what your thoughts on my chances of getting accepted?

Stats:

Currently a residential site supervisor for 3 facilities housing individuals with intellectual disabilities, passed a comprehensive tobacco policy within the local school district, assisting in passing statewide university of alaska tobacco-free policy, taught suicide awareness/prevention courses in the U.S Marines

MPH GPA- 3.68 (so far)

GRE- Have not taken it yet

5 years public health leadership experience

I'm sure I'll receive great letters of references from prior professors.

What are your thoughts?

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 University/Large State School(Transfer Student)
Major(s):Biology, Physics Respectively.
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.75.
Overall GPA: 3.7
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?); Cum Laude, Honors.
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) White Male, U.S. Citizen.

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161
V: 152
W: 4.5
B:

Experience:

3 summer research experiences.
6 semesters of research.
Intern for 2 summers at local metro government
Intern at for state democratic party

Research Interest: Neurogenetics and mental health epidemiology.

Application Submitted:

John Hopkins, Ph.D. in Mental Health Epidemiology- 1st choice

John Hopkins, MHS in Mental Health Epidemiology- 1st choice tied

John Hopkins, Masters in Epidemiology. 1 choice tied.

Harvard, Environmental Health Sciences/Epidemiology

Yale, MPH- Social and behavioral sciences.

Columbia, MPH-Epidemiology.

Northwestern-biostat.

Emory-environmental health sciences.

Any thoughts? Chances?

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 University/Large State School(Transfer Student)
Major(s):Biology, Physics Respectively.
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.75.
Overall GPA: 3.7
Position in Class:
(No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?); Cum Laude, Honors.
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) White Male, U.S. Citizen.

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161
V: 152
W: 4.5
B:

Experience:

3 summer research experiences.
6 semesters of research.
Intern for 2 summers at local metro government
Intern at for state democratic party

Research Interest: Neurogenetics and mental health epidemiology.

Application Submitted:

John Hopkins, Ph.D. in Mental Health Epidemiology- 1st choice

John Hopkins, MHS in Mental Health Epidemiology- 1st choice tied

John Hopkins, Masters in Epidemiology. 1 choice tied.

Harvard, Environmental Health Sciences/Epidemiology

Yale, MPH- Social and behavioral sciences.

Columbia, MPH-Epidemiology.

Northwestern-biostat.

Emory-environmental health sciences.

Any thoughts? Chances?

Are you currently working on your BA/BS? I think your GPA is high enough and looks like you have some good research experience thus far. I'm sure you've taken stats and epi before? If so, how did you do? It appears like your chances are good so far.

hello,

Im applying to MPH-GH65-Harvard and MPH Epi-Columbia.

Undergrad: 4.00
Grad: 3.85
Registered Nurse
1.7 years nursing and 6 months research analyst experiance
Gre... going to take it in few weeks
LOR- 3 professors that speak well about my research and academic ability

interested in global health. any advise will be greatly appreciated :) thanks

You'll get in- I wouldn't worry about it at all. Have you taken stats and epi in your degree program? I'm sure you have... If you did good on those classes, I'm fairly certain they'll grant you admission into their program.

Are you currently working on your BA/BS? I think your GPA is high enough and looks like you have some good research experience thus far. I'm sure you've taken stats and epi before? If so, how did you do? It appears like your chances are good so far.

I have taken quite a bit of math, cal 1-3, biostats.

I have already been admitted into one of JHU's masters programs.

Hi everyone! I plan on applying to MPH Epi programs. I graduated from undergrad this semester.

Undergrad: Michigan
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.25
GRE: VR 160, QR 161, W 4.5
Experience: ~ 5 months HIV Test Counselor, ~2 years Student Manager in university dining halls overseeing shifts and food safety.
LOR: 1 from undergraduate professor who taught genetics, 1 from the director of the nonprofit I do test counseling for, 1 from my boss at my student job.

Right now I'm am looking to apply to MPH Epi programs at Colorado, Michigan, UIC, Iowa, Minnesota, and St. Louis.

Any thoughts?

Currently on my gap/interim time. I graduated this past year and decided to take some time off while I apply for schools and save a bit of money. My main concern is my stats since I had a rocky first two years of undergraduate with family illnesses and financial difficulties so I've had to adjust accordingly, but here's to hoping things work out! I really want to go into Public Health though, specifically to stay in my home state if I can.

Undergrad
: Emory
Major(s): Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology/Psychology
GPA: Overall 3.0 / Public Health & Social/Behavioral GPAs 3.4 (had a rocky couple of semesters, had to work with family near home, siblings with disabilities and financial difficulties, medical proxy since I was 15, last one-two years were 3.0-3.5 every semester and continuing this trend in DIY postbacc as the issues have been dealt and solved).
GRE: 152V/145Q/5 AW
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 1 1/2 years of psychology research (positive psychology, mental health, health promotion and health intervention) in Department of Psychology and Office of Health Promotion (several studies under one IRB)
  • 2 1/2 years of behavioral neuroscience and psychiatric disease research using animal models (drug addiction, depression and decision-making) at Yerkes National Primate Research Center (under the Marcus Autism Center and Department of Pediatrics Emory School of Medicine)
  • 1 year of molecular neuroscience/physiology research at Emory School of Medicine Department of Physiology (1+ Acknowledgement in Physiology book)
  • 1 year (300+ hours) of Americorps Jumpstart service
  • 3+ years of volunteer work at Children's Hospital (Baby Buddy in NICU and Art Cart Operator) and 1+ year at Winship Cancer Institute
  • Secretary/Vice President/President of Emory Anime Club (3+ years), Exec Member/Alumni of Flourish Emory, a positive psychology/holistic health oriented uprising organization at Emory (2+ years and currently), taught positive psychology mini-course, Member of Active Minds at Emory, SAPA Peer Advocate (Sexual Assault Peer Advocate), and HUES Mentor for incoming stem and science students (4 years)
  • Shadowed for 100+ hours under OBGYN and Family Doctor, did a lot of things like EKG, blood work and medical procedures.
Professional Experience/Current Job: Lab Technician at Yerkes Full-Time, DIY Postbacc Student Part-Time
LORS: 1 from PI/Mentor/Vice Provost of Emory College, 1 from PI from Yerkes/Current Job, 1 from Director of Office of Health Promotion and 1 from Associate Director of Health Promotion at Emory
Interests: positive psychology, mental health and intervention, lifespan psychology, neuroethics, public health ethics, health promotion and policy

Tentative list of schools:
Emory (Dual-Degree, MPH (BSHE) and MA Bioethics) - Top Choice) (Verified 1/5), Georgia State, Morehouse, UGA
Accepted: Emory (2/15 - BSHE / MA Bioethics Pending)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I’ll be applying to programs for Fall 2017 (I know a little early) but I am having a crisis of confidence. I graduated with over a 3.8 from a liberal arts college with a liberal arts degree. (However I’ve taken statistics, human bio, graduate level biostatistics, will be taking epidemiology at the graduate level, and a few other social science classes). I was a Fulbright Scholar and now work in public health research at a major medical institution. Work has been presented at 2 national research conferences. I also have some other random things public health related volunteering/internships.

GRE: 162V 159Q 5W

Schools considering:
Harvard (MPH-Global Health - I can dream right? :p)
Emory (MPH - Global Epi)
UMD ( MPH - Epi)
BU ( MPH - Epi/Biostat and Global Health)
GW - (MPH - Global Epi or Epi)
OSU ( MPH Biomedical Informatics-sounds so cool! or epi)
Hopkins (MSPH Global Health)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm trying to figure out if I stand any chance of getting into an MPH program (really interested in UAB, given in-state tuition would be wonderful). I want to pursue a career in healthcare management and/or policy, preferably with a dual MBA/MPH program, but would take the MPH over the MBA. I have always had an interest in policy, both domestic and international, but have no background in business with the exception of taking a couple of upper level economics courses during my undergrad at The University of Alabama. I also technically have no background in health, though as an International Studies/Relations major and a Spanish minor, a few of my classes addressed health trends. I also went abroad to Europe one summer where I took a policy class. Even with the political science degree, I have taken through Cal 2, Stats, and the two upper level economics classes that I took required some calculus work.

As far as academic credentials/CV info, I graduated with a 4.0, was in various honor societies, participated in the Honors College program, had community involvement, and participated in an internship at a non-prof in Birmingham during my last semester. I have a 318 on the GRE, with a 157 verbal and a 161 quantitative without studying, but have been studying (would anyone recommend a retake?). My analytical writing is a 5.0. I graduated in May 2015 and have been interning at a 501(c)3. I have done everything from financial assistance, communications assistance, organizational development (conducted SWOT analysis survey), created partnership and business proposals, helped update our website and social media platforms, and traveled to Uganda to help update our staff there on policies and procedures as well as gather feedback. The organization focuses on things like agriculture, education, orphan and vulnerable children, public health, and WASH projects.

I'm trying to figure out if I stand any chance of getting into an MPH program (really interested in UAB, given in-state tuition would be wonderful). I want to pursue a career in healthcare management and/or policy, preferably with a dual MBA/MPH program, but would take the MPH over the MBA. I have always had an interest in policy, both domestic and international, but have no background in business with the exception of taking a couple of upper level economics courses during my undergrad at The University of Alabama. I also technically have no background in health, though as an International Studies/Relations major and a Spanish minor, a few of my classes addressed health trends. I also went abroad to Europe one summer where I took a policy class. Even with the political science degree, I have taken through Cal 2, Stats, and the two upper level economics classes that I took required some calculus work.

As far as academic credentials/CV info, I graduated with a 4.0, was in various honor societies, participated in the Honors College program, had community involvement, and participated in an internship at a non-prof in Birmingham during my last semester. I have a 318 on the GRE, with a 157 verbal and a 161 quantitative without studying, but have been studying (would anyone recommend a retake?). My analytical writing is a 5.0. I graduated in May 2015 and have been interning at a 501(c)3. I have done everything from financial assistance, communications assistance, organizational development (conducted SWOT analysis survey), created partnership and business proposals, helped update our website and social media platforms, and traveled to Uganda to help update our staff there on policies and procedures as well as gather feedback. The organization focuses on things like agriculture, education, orphan and vulnerable children, public health, and WASH projects.

I think you have a decent shot at getting into a number of programs. Your GPA is phenomenal and your quant skills will be be very helpful!. Would you be applying? Fall 2017 admission? You might want to get one year's worth of full-tie work experience (in addition to your current internship) but other than that I think your application looks great! I don't know too much about UAB.

Any thoughts on mine? (See above)

eek_, if you think I have any decent shot, then I would have to say you have the same shot if not better given your present research work, the fact that you are a Fulbright Scholar and the fact that your verbal score is better than mine and your quant isn't far behind. I do know that UAB has a good MPH program (pretty sure that it's listed by U.S. News and World Report as top twenty school); however, some of the schools that you are interested in are ranked higher (definitely Harvard, Hopkins, and Emory) and thus, I assume, are more competitive. For what it's worth coming from someone new to all of this, I say go big or go home. You won't know unless you apply; it seems like you've got the credentials to get in and excel in some of those programs!

Oh, and thanks for the response! I would love to apply for the upcoming year if I had any chance of getting in because I have been working 40 hours/week with my internship which is unpaid/volunteer...it would be great to work and go to school this next year so that I can start actually accumulating some savings and some schooling, but I don't know if that's dreaming too big. I also forgot to mention that with the business proposals that I have been a part of, I have proposed a leadership/organizational development training program for a non-profit hospital in Honduras that is in negotiations. I feel like I've flirted with public health without diving into it...visiting hospitals and children's clinics/pregnancy crisis facilities in Uganda, working with an organization with some focus on public health, etc. Health policy/management programs is more up my alley so I hope that quantitative skills and some of my background will help. But if not this year, then the next!

Last edited:
eek_, if you think I have any decent shot, then I would have to say you have the same shot if not better given your present research work, the fact that you are a Fulbright Scholar and the fact that your verbal score is better than mine and your quant isn't far behind. I do know that UAB has a good MPH program (pretty sure that it's listed by U.S. News and World Report as top twenty school); however, some of the schools that you are interested in are ranked higher (definitely Harvard, Hopkins, and Emory) and thus, I assume, are more competitive. For what it's worth coming from someone new to all of this, I say go big or go home. You won't know unless you apply; it seems like you've got the credentials to get in and excel in some of those programs!

Oh, and thanks for the response! I would love to apply for the upcoming year if I had any chance of getting in because I have been working 40 hours/week with my internship which is unpaid/volunteer...it would be great to work and go to school this next year so that I can start actually accumulating some savings and some schooling, but I don't know if that's dreaming too big. I also forgot to mention that with the business proposals that I have been a part of, I have proposed a leadership/organizational development training program for a non-profit hospital in Honduras that is in negotiations. I feel like I've flirted with public health without diving into it...visiting hospitals and children's clinics/pregnancy crisis facilities in Uganda, working with an organization with some focus on public health, etc. Health policy/management programs is more up my alley so I hope that quantitative skills and some of my background will help. But if not this year, then the next!

Thanks! One of the main reasons I'm applying to one Hopkins/Harvard/Emory is because I work and have taken classes at one of those institutions. I figured it might help admissions. Perhaps I'll take away one of my reach schools that I don't work at and add a safety? It's tough. I want to go somewhere I'm excited about and I feel confident will help me a get a job, but I'm afraid that I'm being unrealistic about my expectations. : /

I suppose it doesn't hurt applying (except the cost) this year if you can make the school's deadline. :)

So I posted in this thread years ago but my stats have changed (good and bad) and I want to apply for the Fall 2017 cycle so i want to start getting things together

Undergrad School: University of Maryland
Undergrad Major: BSN
GPA:my overall GPA is a 3.2, my major GPA is a 3.1 (pretty low I know)
GRE: I havent taken it yet but i took the practice exam via Kaplan and I bombed it ( i wont even bother posting what I got lol) . I seriously don't expect a good score esp for the quantitative section.
Work Experience: RN 1 year at Emory Univ Hospital, I plan to stay for one more year so that will be 2 years of work experience in total
Internships:
2014 Interned with a large non-profit in DC and helped with strategic planning for international organizations in Puerto Rico, Haiti and Kenya. I also helped coordinate 2 fundraising events on capitol hill with members of congress.
2014 Interned with a health organization in Tanzania for 1 month and interned with another health organization in Haiti for 2 months
In 2013 I interned for a major clinic in Haiti and worked with nurses and other health care workers to improve their quality and delivery of care
In 2011 I interned for two hospitals in Haiti that were partners with USAID. I worked as a translator and also provided general care to patients with HIV/AIDS and TB
I plan on hopefully doing another medical trip sometime this year probably in the summer
Extracurriculars:
Events and funding officer for Students for Global Health at my university and organized various events throughout campus including a major global health conference.
From 2010-2012 I was the events coordinator for the Caribbean Students Association at my school and organized various events throughout campus.

I'm planning on applying to dual MSN/MPH programs. for the MPH portion im looking to get into an MPH program with either a global health or an infectious disease control focus. I want to work in implementing infection prevention programs in developing countries. My GPA is low and my GRE is going to be a struggle but I have tons of work and internship experience so i'm hoping that makes up for it?

The schools I want to apply to:
Top Choices-
Columbia, Emory, Georgetown, Tulane, Johns Hopkins, Univ of Miami, NYU, Yale, George Washington, Duke, UPenn

Backup Choices-
Georgia State, FIU, Univ of Maryland (backup school since I graduated from there)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello everyone! I’ll be applying to programs for Fall 2017 (I know a little early) but I am having a crisis of confidence. I graduated with over a 3.8 from a liberal arts college with a liberal arts degree. (However I’ve taken statistics, human bio, graduate level biostatistics, will be taking epidemiology at the graduate level, and a few other social science classes). I was a Fulbright Scholar and now work in public health research at a major medical institution. Work has been presented at 2 national research conferences. I also have some other random things public health related volunteering/internships.

GRE: 162V 159Q 5W

Schools considering:
Harvard (MPH-Global Health - I can dream right? :p)
Emory (MPH - Global Epi)
UMD ( MPH - Epi)
BU ( MPH - Epi/Biostat and Global Health)
GW - (MPH - Global Epi or Epi)
OSU ( MPH Biomedical Informatics-sounds so cool! or epi)
Hopkins (MSPH Global Health)

Hello eek_, I think you sound like a very competitive applicant. Your GRE score and GPA are both great. Are your grades in bio, stats, and epi all up to par as well? Those will especially matter. What type of public health research are you currently working on? If you want to get into an upper-tier global health program, I have found it to be vital to have previous experience in the global arena. I know Emory especially places a great deal of emphasis on this. I know it is difficult, but try not to lack confidence through this process! I think you will have great success with your applications! You have a great list of schools.

I was admitted to Emory for Global Health & Infectious Disease and am pretty sure that is where I will be attending. I am visiting next Friday so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Hello eek_, I think you sound like a very competitive applicant. Your GRE score and GPA are both great. Are your grades in bio, stats, and epi all up to par as well? Those will especially matter. What type of public health research are you currently working on? If you want to get into an upper-tier global health program, I have found it to be vital to have previous experience in the global arena. I know Emory especially places a great deal of emphasis on this. I know it is difficult, but try not to lack confidence through this process! I think you will have great success with your applications! You have a great list of schools.

I was admitted to Emory for Global Health & Infectious Disease and am pretty sure that is where I will be attending. I am visiting next Friday so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Hello! Wow, thank you very much! Yes, As in everything so far. At the moment, my work public health research is heavily domestic, but I'm hoping that my Fulbright Scholarship where I lived and worked in youth development in S.E Asia, working for an international NGO (not public health related unfortunately), and working abroad at a school, may help!

I may very well come up with a list of questions and PM you! Thanks so much!

Hi folks. This is my first post here and I will appreciate any reply very much.

I am 41, so that's old for starters. I am from India, working in Malaysia, a Medical Doctor and have specialised in ENT. For the last 6 years, my job concentration is on undergraduate teaching wih just about clinical commitment in a major hospital to keep me in touch.

Various factors over the past year or so have led me to think in terms of Public Health, esp International Health as a mid career shift. Travel, a lifetime exposure to tropical disease, health inequality, growing concern for child health and nutrition etc etc are pushing me here. The point of course, is that I am old.

I graduated with no blemishes (we dont have a GPA system in India).

My plan is to do an Online MPH, perhaps combine it with an MPA/MHA or MBA (Healthcare focus)which will take the best part of 4 years. I hope to move into the administrative side or policy side of PH.

In the meantime, since my work schedule is not heavy, I will find and do some volunteer work here and around SE Asia (esp Cambodia) and in India so I have something to show when I graduate. I also plan on collaborating with the PH Dept in my workplace on various projects they might have and other short work ex opportunities that might arise locally.

The big question is:
Is this feasible and realistic or am I just dreaming?

Please do weigh in. I need to take a decision very soon and commit.

Hi all. I'm pretty new at this whole thing but I'm trying to figure out my chances of an MPH. I'm going to be an international student so I would really appreciate any/all opinions. I'm looking for odds at the 1 year programs (most likely)

Undergrad: Canadian University (did not complete Bachelor's). Completed MD in Canada. Current - subspecialty post grad.
Major(s): Human Physiology
GPA: 3.79 (Undergrad). MD - all pass.
GRE: N/A. MCAT - 97-98%ile.
  • Completed MD
  • Elected subspecialty rep in medical school
  • Leadership position in a multidisciplinary health care student group
  • Residency - Pending completion this June
  • Elected Resident Training Program Leadership Representative x 2 y
  • Chair for the National Annual Subspecialty Conference, Residency Event Organization Committee
  • Basic Science research with oral presentation
  • Involvement in 3 other clinical projects in the works
Professional Experience/Current Job: Finishing 5th year/completion of residency with pending subspecialty fellowship
LORS: Probably my program director with two of my other supervisors
Interests: Healthcare management. I'm really hoping to get involved in hospital and regional healthcare with strategic management knowledge and ultimately financial feasibility. The other area I'm looking at is Healthcare Policy as my specialty has many national guidelines and I hope to be a strong contributor in its distribution and efficacy committees.

Tentative list of schools:
Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Berkeley.
Accepted: (Haven't applied)

Are there other schools to look into that you think would be helpful? I'm not really focused on Global Health and I'm hoping that won't hurt my application.
I really appreciate any thoughts! Thanks!

Hello guys

I'm an international student who recently graduated from med school. I want to apply for mph(fall 2017). From where I come its percentage system. So when I converted it into GPA it was not a good one. Also as I recently graduated and have no work experience. I will be giving gre in a few days. Im interested in health policies, hospital management and infectious disease.Can someone please tell me what universities I can apply to?

Hi

I'm interested in applying to public health school, however my gpa is pretty low (2.6). I have experience volunteering for health clinics, women's shelters, organizing events for dallas rape center, and such. Do you think I have a good chance at schools like Tulane, GW? Please let me know what you recommend, thank you!

Few questions for you:

Have you taken the GRE yet? A strong GRE score (160 or above on Verbal and Quant) can make up for a lower GPA.
What MPH track are you interested in? Ex: Epi, Biostat, Global Health etc. If your experience is relevant to your desired track, that's always a plus.
Are you currently an undergraduate student?

Although your GPA is on the lower side, you should not be discouraged when applying to graduate schools. Candidates are viewed holistically, meaning a lot of factors other than GPA are considered in admission. Can you get good letters of recommendation? Work on writing a strong personal statement, as I hear that is very important (well, all components are important, but a personal statement can show your passion for the field).

I'm currently an undergraduate student in the process of applying to schools for the 2017-18 year as well, and have the same questions regarding whether my stats are "good enough" for the programs I am interested in. If possible, take extra classes to bring your GPA up to a 3.0 or above. Lots of good programs set a 3.0 GPA as a cutoff.

Last edited:
I agree with the above person. A lot of MPH programs require a 3.0 minimum, but don't let that discourage you from applying. I know a friend who had below a 3.0 and got in UCLA MPH program through appeal, but she knew one of the faculty and received a stellar letter of recommendation.

It really depends on the program you are trying to apply to, both in terms of what concentration you're interested in and what school of public health you'd like to attend. For example, the top 10 schools of public health generally accept a GPA of at least a 3.5, but lower GPAs are accepted based on the concentration (eg. Health Behavior or BSHE concentrations tend to accept lower GPAs, while Epi/Biostats tend to accept higher GPAs). Like the people mentioned above, it really depends as well on your experiences in public health, research skills, and of course your GRE score. It's a very holistic application process.

It seems you have significant public health experience, which is great! Do well on the GRE (try and aim for 160 on both sections as much as possible), emphasize your passion for public health with a stellar personal statement, apply EARLY, and diversify the public health programs you're applying to (i.e have a mix of reach, target, and safety schools in mind). I'm very confident you'll be able to get your MPH. A word of advice for Tulane - your chances increase significantly if you apply EARLY!

Hello all--

I've been putting off doing this, but I think it's time I need the advice. I'm applying for the Fall 2017 cycle.

Undergrad: Top 5 liberal arts college, graduated in 2012
Undergrad Major: Biology (General), Education Studies minor
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Graduate: Earned Masters in Education as part of an alternative program at a large public university, graduated in 2013
Graduate GPA: 3.8
GRE: Took in May 2016-- 169V, 155M, 5.5AW; sad about the math score but not going to retake
Experiences:
- taught secondary science, health, and engineering for 4 school years in urban public schools; 2 of those years were teaching public health at the high school level
- redesigned campus programming for sexual assault prevention in undergrad
- trying like hell to get a job in the field for the next year, but it's been slow going
- no research experience :(
Recs: 1 undergrad professor, 1 grad professor, 1 professional acquaintance, 1 former coworker (unfortunately didn't work at schools where I had a direct supervisor)
Public Health Interests: I'm primarily interested in community and behavioral health, but the more I learn about epi and read job descriptions that require statistics knowledge, the more I consider switching. I see myself working for or starting orgs/programs that deal with HIV in urban adolescents and am generally interested in sexual health in LGBTQ communities.
Definitely Applying to: Colorado SPH, U of Minnesota, SUNY-Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Drexel, Northeastern
Considering Applying to: Harvard, BU, Tufts, Brown, UMass Amherst

I am specifically interested in knowing what you all think my chances are at the more selective programs. I am in a position where I cannot afford to apply to schools that would be waste of time and/or not cater to my interests, so please be honest in your comments! Any and all advice on my application is appreciated.

Hello everyone,
I am applying for Fall 2017 MPH programs, since I have started to read and gather information about this recently, wanted to know if there is anything I should be doing to increase my chances, and also what are the chances of getting assistantship spots and scholarships in MPH programs.
Undergrad/Grad: International Dentist
GPA: ECE and WES evaluation: 3.2
TOEFL: 110
GRE: 153V, 160Q, 3 AW probably will retake in the next month to increase my writing score
Experience:
more than 5 years of private clinical practice back in home country
2 month of volunteer work in a child cancer NGO
some research experience, but all were clinical and dental related
LORs: This is one of the parts I don't know what to do, I have been out of school for 7 years now, even though I have kept in touch with my professors but still all they can write about would be my clinical skills and teamwork abilities and such, nothing about public health. same goes for my work experience supervisors and colleagues. I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advise regarding this matter.
Public health interests: I am primarily interested in Community public health and health promotion, and my second interest would be health policy and management. Epi does seem really interesting but it doesn't relate to my education and work experience at all, so I don't know if I can even consider that.
Programs interested in: Have not decided yet.

Thank you in advance for your replies, any advise and comment is appreciated.

Hey @Urend, it looks like we have similar interests! But very different experience. Take a look at the programs in the post right above yours that I'm applying to-- maybe they'll be right for you too.

deleted

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I am currently a senior (graduating May 2017) and I am looking at grad schools. I am going to take time off after I graduate (my #1 choice is to join Peace Corps, but if I don't get in then any sort of health-related internship/fellowship I could find) but would like to see how I might currently stack up and how I could improve my app in the next couple years!

Undergrad: private Jesuit institution
Major / Minor: Anthropology (biological focus) / minors: biomedical science, health studies, health and culture
cGPA / mGPA: 3.48 / 3.85
GRE: V157, Q158, W4.0
Grad GPA: currently enrolled in grad-level epi course
Research Experience:
- anthropology research surrounding enteric disease mortality patterns (2+ years)
- demography research on immigrants settling in my area, culture patterns, etc (1.5+ years)
- clinical lab assistant diagnosing parasites from human urine samples (3 months - summer program)
- will complete an honors thesis next semester relating (in part) to aforementioned anth research
- numerous poster and paper presentations at undergrad and grad conferences/symposiums
Professional Experience:
- peer health educator on campus (1 year)
- volunteer HIV counselor/lab assistant (1.5 years)
- facilities student manager on campus (3 years)
- public health global brigade to Nicaragua assisting in setting up water systems, at the health clinic, etc (1 week)
- president of anthropology club (2 years)
LORS: not sure yet!
Interests: infectious diseases, epidemiology, global health, HIV/AIDS & STIs, field/applied epi
Schools of interest: University of Washington, Emory, Johns Hopkins, Yale, George Washington, UMich, University of South Florida (+more, those are just what I can think of off the top of my head). I am also interested in anthropology/PH dual degrees or interdisciplinary programs.

I am hoping to get a publication or two done by the time my application season rolls around, and also more work experience in public health. I have concerns about my GRE scores--should I retake? My end-all goal is to become an applied epi fellow after I get my degree and eventually work for the CDC. Any other constructive criticism? Helpful advice? Ideas on more schools to consider?

Thanks in advance :)

Hello,

I'm struggling with whether I'm more likely to get into Health Policy and Management or Health Behavior and Education/ Social Determinants of Health Tracks and would greatly appreciate any advice. Schools I am interested in are UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, NYU, George Washington, Michigan, Univ. of Washington. I went to a well-regarded but not one of the top UC schools, political science major, 3.80 GPA (3.85 Major GPA), honors. I have 5 years post-grad work experience, 3 at a non-profit pretty unrelated, 2 at the city's public hospital/trauma center in an admin role where I got to work closely with administrators and on program development. My letters of rec. are from a professor, my current manager who has a UCLA MPH, and the COO of the hospital where i work who has a Michigan MPH. I am confident they will be good based on the feedback I've gotten from them. I haven't taken GRE yet but based on my practice this is my weak point: Verbal is good in the 160-165 range but quant I am struggling to make 50th percentile which I know is the effective cutoff for many schools. I have been studying but having a hard time getting this up which is very frustrating, but its been 10 years since I've seen the material. I have gotten an A in micro and macro econ in college but got a B in stats. I am equally interested in the content of HPM and HBE - I'm mostly interested in administration at a safety net or community hospital, but I like the idea of the financial flexibility of the HPM concentration and potentially being able to get a higher paying position if needed i.e. consulting. One of my recommenders advised I am more likely to get into HBE with my low quant score and then can take HPM classes as electives. She thinks employers won't care much about the concentration. I know my schools are all competitive but since i already have a pretty good job i don't want to take on debt unless i'm really confident it will be a good bet that will lead to future salary increases. I'm worried if I do HBE I'll face a tougher job market but also don't want to just get rejected from all the HPM programs. How much of a deal breaker is a low quant score? Thank you for any advice!!

Hello,

I'm struggling with whether I'm more likely to get into Health Policy and Management or Health Behavior and Education/ Social Determinants of Health Tracks and would greatly appreciate any advice. Schools I am interested in are UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, NYU, George Washington, Michigan, Univ. of Washington. I went to a well-regarded but not one of the top UC schools, political science major, 3.80 GPA (3.85 Major GPA), honors. I have 5 years post-grad work experience, 3 at a non-profit pretty unrelated, 2 at the city's public hospital/trauma center in an admin role where I got to work closely with administrators and on program development. My letters of rec. are from a professor, my current manager who has a UCLA MPH, and the COO of the hospital where i work who has a Michigan MPH. I am confident they will be good based on the feedback I've gotten from them. I haven't taken GRE yet but based on my practice this is my weak point: Verbal is good in the 160-165 range but quant I am struggling to make 50th percentile which I know is the effective cutoff for many schools. I have been studying but having a hard time getting this up which is very frustrating, but its been 10 years since I've seen the material. I have gotten an A in micro and macro econ in college but got a B in stats. I am equally interested in the content of HPM and HBE - I'm mostly interested in administration at a safety net or community hospital, but I like the idea of the financial flexibility of the HPM concentration and potentially being able to get a higher paying position if needed i.e. consulting. One of my recommenders advised I am more likely to get into HBE with my low quant score and then can take HPM classes as electives. She thinks employers won't care much about the concentration. I know my schools are all competitive but since i already have a pretty good job i don't want to take on debt unless i'm really confident it will be a good bet that will lead to future salary increases. I'm worried if I do HBE I'll face a tougher job market but also don't want to just get rejected from all the HPM programs. How much of a deal breaker is a low quant score? Thank you for any advice!!

If the GRE is something you are really nervous about I would contact your schools, explain your situation, and ask for advice and next steps.

Last edited:
Thanks LDK92! I am planning to contact my schools so hopefully that will be reassuring. The day after I posted this I had a meeting that reminded me why I really want to pursue Policy & Management, so I think I'm going to go for it.

Morning everyone! My profile is below. Thanks in advance! :happy:

Undergrad School:
Loyola University Maryland (Graduated May 2012)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: Overall: 3.64/Math Economics: 3.65/Biochemistry: 3.57
Major/Minor: Double Major - Math Economics & Biochemistry
GradGPA: N/A
Grad Studies: N/A
GRE: 152V/152Q/4W (taken January 2012), Re-taking 10/29/2016
Experience/Research:

- Currently working at a health policy consulting firm (staffed on two health insurance exchanges as operations consultant, claims data analyst for state medicaid redesign project) - 2.5 years
- Telemetry CNA and Patient Transporter at large hospital in Maryland - 1.5 years
- Assistant Disability Program Manager for U.S. Air Force (worked with Pentagon to represent disabled civilian employees and active duty personnel) - 1 year
- Volunteered at HIV/AIDS foster care facility in college - 4 years
- Volunteered at 3 separate hospitals in Baltimore area - 2 years total
- Started, and was president of, my school's chapter of Hillel - 4 years
- Research:
1) Organic synthesis (study abroad in India through Harvard) - 2 months
2) Organometallic chemistry (undergrad credit) - 5 months
3) Oral infectious disease (post-undergrad, UMD Dental School) - 7 months
4) Economic modeling (post-undergrad, NIST internship) - 2 months

5 letters - 1 from undergrad chemistry prof., 1 from undergrad economics prof, 3 from current supervisors/project managers (on various projects I've worked on).

Really concerned about my GRE score - my work schedule is insane sometimes, but I just explained in my app that I didn't think it was representative of my abilities, because I work with SAS data every day. I think my SOP and letters are/will be solid. Hopkins is my top choice cause I have several colleagues who got their MPH from there. What do you guys think?

Interested in: Health Policy & Management & Biostatistics
Applied (Submitted SOPHAS 10/04/2016, Verified 10/21/2016): Johns Hopkins MPH, Johns Hopkins Sc.M. Yale MPH, Emory MPH, George Washington MPH, Vanderbilt MPH, Columbia MPH, UCLA MPH, Michigan MPH, LSE M.Sc. International Health Policy
EDIT: Decided not to apply to Berkeley when I found out the school may be slashing their PH budget.
EDIT: Added LSE (Complete 10/24/2016) & Hopkins Sc.M. (Biostatistics)
Accepted: TBD
Rejected: TBD
Waitlisted: TBD

Last edited:
Hi there 'medception',

I am a two time hopkins graduate: Undergraduate (BA/BS) and Bloomberg, MHS. If you want specifics about Bloomberg Hopkins, feel free to PM me. I was a TA for X# courses while there and an institute as well.

I would say that GRE scores aree hit or miss at Hopkins. If you email them, they will respond and give you stats from last years class. The likes of "we take 50% range applicants and on average, they are 70%", sure generic but it is coming directly from there. Personally, I had an average GRE score (I took it spring of my Senior year at Hopkins and basically the cut off for every school imaginable submission wise) but I had a high GPA. You are quite physical sciences academic wise but the MPH is a professionals program and you fit the bill reading your Experience section.

I would encourage you to also look in applying to the MSPH program in health policy and management at Bloomberg. MPH students are 11 months and seemed rushed but maybe I sensed that being their TA for some courses. MSPH you have more time and are able to delve deeper into subjects and your chosen department: Health Policy and Management. As a MPH, you cannot do this so freely or without loosing your mind piling on credits per term. One of the top professors of Public Health Law teaches at Bloomberg and his class was incredible. Also, the GDEC (global disease epidemiology control programs) has some very compelling courses: Health systems in low and middle income countries; Global disease control programs; a 4 term course in health policy and management.

Good luck!

Edited: I wanted to mention that since you know SAS, Hopkins does it masters training in STATA. It's another great program and I enjoyed myself knowing the two. So statistics will be easier for you even if in STATA.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Big 10 University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Anthropology
GRE (this past summer): Verbal: 160 Math: 160 Writing: 5.0
-Summer internship at HMO
-Internship at local non-profit community nutrition startup
-2 years as a Teaching Assistant
-2 years @ on campus job
-Various volunteer hours (hospital, community, campus)
-1 summer as camp counselor
Applied: Columbia, Boston University, Emory, Minnesota, University of Michigan, Tulane, and Yale
Accepted: BU (+$), Emory, UMich, Tulane, Columbia, Yale (+$), Minnesota
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Hi there 'medception',

I am a two time hopkins graduate: Undergraduate (BA/BS) and Bloomberg, MHS. If you want specifics about Bloomberg Hopkins, feel free to PM me. I was a TA for X# courses while there and an institute as well.

I would say that GRE scores aree hit or miss at Hopkins. If you email them, they will respond and give you stats from last years class. The likes of "we take 50% range applicants and on average, they are 70%", sure generic but it is coming directly from there. Personally, I had an average GRE score (I took it spring of my Senior year at Hopkins and basically the cut off for every school imaginable submission wise) but I had a high GPA. You are quite physical sciences academic wise but the MPH is a professionals program and you fit the bill reading your Experience section.

I would encourage you to also look in applying to the MSPH program in health policy and management at Bloomberg. MPH students are 11 months and seemed rushed but maybe I sensed that being their TA for some courses. MSPH you have more time and are able to delve deeper into subjects and your chosen department: Health Policy and Management. As a MPH, you cannot do this so freely or without loosing your mind piling on credits per term. One of the top professors of Public Health Law teaches at Bloomberg and his class was incredible. Also, the GDEC (global disease epidemiology control programs) has some very compelling courses: Health systems in low and middle income countries; Global disease control programs; a 4 term course in health policy and management.

Good luck!

Edited: I wanted to mention that since you know SAS, Hopkins does it masters training in STATA. It's another great program and I enjoyed myself knowing the two. So statistics will be easier for you even if in STATA.

Thanks so much for your help! I actually went to the Open House a week or so ago, and then re-considered adding an application to the MSPH HPM program - it seemed really cool. I'm also visiting their Biostats department next week (contacted a prof. to set it up), because I'm also interested in/submitted an app to the Biostatistics Sc.M. program.

Thanks so much for your help! I actually went to the Open House a week or so ago, and then re-considered adding an application to the MSPH HPM program - it seemed really cool. I'm also visiting their Biostats department next week (contacted a prof. to set it up), because I'm also interested in/submitted an app to the Biostatistics Sc.M. program.

Hey medception! Really glad to hear you went to the Open house! The MSPH for HPM is a great program, truly. Also, I do believe you would like the Sc.M program. I had fellow classmates in courses that switched there MPH apps to this direction because of their future career aspirations. Sounds like you made great decisions there!

Good luck!

Hi all! I'm a new member but have been reading threads on this site for a while, awaiting for it to be my time to post!

I'll make this as easy, quick, and concise as possible.

-Undergraduate: B.A. in psychology, minor in music, graduated cum Laude
- I originally wanted to be an OT, but when I started taking more biological science classes I realized my passion was in infectious disease, but it was too late to really change major. So though psych was my major I did take many science courses including biology, anatomy and physiology I and II (all with labs) evolutionary behavior, biopsych, and human biology. I also took research methodologies I and II which covers advanced sstatistics both by hand as well as with use of a statistical computer packages; the course also required creating models for and conducting our own research.
-Undergrad gpa: 3.68
-GRE taken two days ago, verbal 154 and quantitative 145 (not good, will likely retake...I'm better at doing things in an actual contextual setting, not just taking tests)

Experience:
- youth health promoter and peer educator at Planned Parenthood from ages 14-18 (paid) trained extensively to communicate health information to my community and peers, organize and facilitate events, and conduct outreach.
-I have a little brother with a very rare immune deficiency and cystic fibrosis gene mutation that requires IVIG blood infusions every other week so I became very involved with the New York Blood Center as a blood drive captain and received a scholarship from them for my work. My brother is the reason I want to go into public health. I am constantly surrounded by medical professionals, home nurses, and in hospitals because of this. I've basically been doing disease prevention my entire life to protect him in a way haha.
- Elected president of the LGBTQ Club as an undergrad and in turn working with lgbtq organizations and diverse communities.
-sat on the board of the college diversity committee as the only student representative
-worked for 1 year doing applied behavioral analysis in a 1:1 setting with children with a wide range of medical and/or behavioral diagnoses. I collected and charted data on their behavior for use in their therapeutic sessions with me.
-Intern at Westchester medical center in the occupational and physical therapy department for 1 year
-Intern at a preschool specializing in providing students with sensory experiences for 1 year
- 1 Summer interning with the epidemiologist of the county I live in specializing in vector borne zoonotic infections. I also helped put together a conference for medical providers during this time
-intern at Planned Parenthood with the director of sexuality education for 1 year
-worked as an aide at an animal hospital for 5 months
-research has on sensory processing disorders and sensory integration therapies in the school and clinical setting accepted to be presented at the New England Psychological Association's annual conference
-Currently serving as the Health Education Outreach Specialist/grassroots organizer at Planned Parenthood full time for almost 1 year this January. I am it a part of many grassroots organizations that work with low SES, disadvantaged, and minority populations to help in closing the gap in health disparities they face.

I am very confident in my statements of purpose as well as my reccomendation letters, they will both be very strong components of my applications.

I plan on applying to MPH programs in Epidemiology at: New York Medical College, Hunter College, Columbia, Mt. Sinai Medical, Boston University, and SUNY downstate medical center.

Sorry it wasnt as short as I tried to get it to be haha. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

SLP17, with your experiences, I would greatly recommend trying out Yale (only about a 35-minute drive from Columbia in CT). You are a shoe-in for the program and should consider it with your GPA. Columbia is a very large program and you may not be able to entirely reap the benefits of a Master's with a 600-person class (Yale has about 115). Your stats are very strong for Yale. Johns Hopkins as well, if you're willing to move.

Hi all! I'm a new member but have been reading threads on this site for a while, awaiting for it to be my time to post!

I'll make this as easy, quick, and concise as possible.

-Undergraduate: B.A. in psychology, minor in music, graduated cum Laude
- I originally wanted to be an OT, but when I started taking more biological science classes I realized my passion was in infectious disease, but it was too late to really change major. So though psych was my major I did take many science courses including biology, anatomy and physiology I and II (all with labs) evolutionary behavior, biopsych, and human biology. I also took research methodologies I and II which covers advanced sstatistics both by hand as well as with use of a statistical computer packages; the course also required creating models for and conducting our own research.
-Undergrad gpa: 3.68
-GRE taken two days ago, verbal 154 and quantitative 145 (not good, will likely retake...I'm better at doing things in an actual contextual setting, not just taking tests)

Experience:
- youth health promoter and peer educator at Planned Parenthood from ages 14-18 (paid) trained extensively to communicate health information to my community and peers, organize and facilitate events, and conduct outreach.
-I have a little brother with a very rare immune deficiency and cystic fibrosis gene mutation that requires IVIG blood infusions every other week so I became very involved with the New York Blood Center as a blood drive captain and received a scholarship from them for my work. My brother is the reason I want to go into public health. I am constantly surrounded by medical professionals, home nurses, and in hospitals because of this. I've basically been doing disease prevention my entire life to protect him in a way haha.
- Elected president of the LGBTQ Club as an undergrad and in turn working with lgbtq organizations and diverse communities.
-sat on the board of the college diversity committee as the only student representative
-worked for 1 year doing applied behavioral analysis in a 1:1 setting with children with a wide range of medical and/or behavioral diagnoses. I collected and charted data on their behavior for use in their therapeutic sessions with me.
-Intern at Westchester medical center in the occupational and physical therapy department for 1 year
-Intern at a preschool specializing in providing students with sensory experiences for 1 year
- 1 Summer interning with the epidemiologist of the county I live in specializing in vector borne zoonotic infections. I also helped put together a conference for medical providers during this time
-intern at Planned Parenthood with the director of sexuality education for 1 year
-worked as an aide at an animal hospital for 5 months
-research has on sensory processing disorders and sensory integration therapies in the school and clinical setting accepted to be presented at the New England Psychological Association's annual conference
-Currently serving as the Health Education Outreach Specialist/grassroots organizer at Planned Parenthood full time for almost 1 year this January. I am it a part of many grassroots organizations that work with low SES, disadvantaged, and minority populations to help in closing the gap in health disparities they face.

I am very confident in my statements of purpose as well as my reccomendation letters, they will both be very strong components of my applications.

I plan on applying to MPH programs in Epidemiology at: New York Medical College, Hunter College, Columbia, Mt. Sinai Medical, Boston University, and SUNY downstate medical center.

Sorry it wasnt as short as I tried to get it to be haha. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

You have competitive stats for any SPH.

Hi guys! I'm highly interested in UTH-Houston Epi. How do my chances look with these stats?

-Dentist with just over 3 years of experience (including 1 year of voluntary work) [International applicant]
-GPA: 3.7
-GRE: 154 V, 158 Q, 4.5 AW
-TOEFL: 111
-LOR: 3 should be strong, no idea about the other 2
-SOP: Currently working on it

Any current MPH student at UTH here?
Also, how are the Texas A&M, and Colorado SPH? Any information will he highly appreciated.

SLP17, with your experiences, I would greatly recommend trying out Yale (only about a 35-minute drive from Columbia in CT). You are a shoe-in for the program and should consider it with your GPA. Columbia is a very large program and you may not be able to entirely reap the benefits of a Master's with a 600-person class (Yale has about 115). Your stats are very strong for Yale. Johns Hopkins as well, if you're willing to move.
Thank you so much for the input, I appreciate it!

hi everyone! not new to the site, new to posting :) I'm just about ready to submit my applications to PhD programs in Public Health, and the nerves are setting in ... I'm so passionate about this path that I cannot imagine spending next year anywhere else but in one of these programs! would love to hear anyone's advice, as I have a somewhat unique background.

Undergrad
: St. Lawrence University, majored in Neuroscience/minored in Chemistry, graduated Magna Cum Laude with Honors, 3.83 GPA, handful of honor societies, 164 V, 157 Q
Graduate: here is where things are different ... I am interested in studying yoga as part of eating disorder prevention programs (as well as studying patients' experiences with integrative healthcare) and so I am finishing up my master's in Integrative Medicine Research at National University of Natural Medicine in Portland, OR .. basically a very small school that's quite unheard of; I chose it because it's the only program in the country that is focused on developing research skills specifically for integrative medicine research AND allows students to do independent research. Our research center receives NIH funding quite regularly from the NCCIH, as we are pioneering a lot of research in integrative medicine/CAM. anywhoo, I know that this program is probably not well-understood by most schools, and so I've tried to go above and beyond in the work I am doing here. I'm working on 3 different theses, one of them in collaboration with Dr. Paul Rhode, a nationally-known leader in eating disorder prevention research at the Oregon Research Institute.
Research Experience: 3 summers at UMass Medical School with a well-known research team studying tobacco addiction resulting in one publication (3rd author). 1.5 years of a undergrad research project, paper currently in review, and as I mentioned, my three master's theses. I have also worked as an RA to a few other studies at my school now.
Other Experiences: I am a senior contributor to the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) & Proud2Bme blogs, I founded and am prez of Portland's 1st eating disorder awareness & advocacy group, various "public health"-esque volunteer experiences throughout college.1 year part time work at a women's health focused non-profit my first year as a grad student

So, the dream is Harvard, as they have a program specifically geared towards eating disorder prevention research. I spoke briefly with a few faculty members there over email, and most sounded more interested than anything in my background. The second dream is BU, as I love their focus on mixed methods research (all my research projects have had some qualitative component) and a few faculty members there are interested in yoga research. Also, Boston is just a hub of integrative medicine in general, so it would be a great place to be. My current mentor connected me with a few researchers at the Benson-Henry Institute in Boston (they really pioneer the mind-body research being done) and so my fingers are crossed I end up in Boston next fall, would love to have access to such amazing resources.

Last edited:
U Grad School: Mid tier
MD School: Upper tier
GPA: 3.95 undergrad; good grades in medical school
MCAT: top 10%
- 10+ publications, research, committee work in academic medicine, 4+ years in clinical practice
Applied: Harvard, Yale, Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, Michigan- all one year programs in management

I searched the best I can through this thread and other ones on this forum, but what about University of Tennessee Knoxville (UTK)?

I've got a BS in Animal Science/Pre-Veterinary Medicine (as a "concentration") with a GPA of 3.81.
My GRE was so-so---not "low" but not impressively high either--with a 301 combined and an average writing score. I used to be an English major and have been told numerous times by English professors and even science lab professors/TAs that I do much better than most of my peers with writing.

Anyway... how much does UTK seem to focus on the GRE?
I want to get some shadowing experience with a public health administrator and possibly an epidemiologist, then get my rec letters and apply before the Fall 2017 deadline in the spring.

Has anyone gotten in with stats similar to mine?

I searched the best I can through this thread and other ones on this forum, but what about University of Tennessee Knoxville (UTK)?
?

If you can't find the school's average GPA/GRE scores for admittance online, call/email their admissions office. People do it all the time; they're very helpful people.

I don't think UTK is very competitive simply because it's not frequently mentioned on these forums or highly ranked. You will probably get in with your stats, especially if your SOP can compensate for your writing scores. If you are truly worried, retake the GRE if your quant score was less than 150. You have time since their admissions deadline is so late.

Reactions: 1 users