The 5/2/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simran1031

Princess of 2014=)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I officially signed up for the beast yesterday! I am not sure if this group is already created but I thought of starting one! I have started intense content review. and hoping to finish content review by end of feb. then march april i am just going to be working on practice tests! best of luck to everyone out there =)

Members don't see this ad.

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Just got accepted to my state school through the Early Assurance Program for fall 2010!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
my home state is va =)

and thank you for all your kind words...im hanging in there.. as much as possible..

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Just got accepted to my state school through the Early Assurance Program for fall 2010!!!!!!!!!

You can't see it, but I'm doing the "cabbage patch" in your honor right now. (I'm very old.) Here comes the "running man"!

so i must say i was dissappointed in my scores but it was within my range..

my average on aamcs were about a 27..

I got a 26..

10 BS 10 PS 6 VR ( may 2nd, 2009) last time around I got a 22..with a 8PS and 8BS and 6 in VR...im not hapy wit th score but what can you do!!

im gonna go ahead and apply this cycle.. and see what happens..and worse comes to worse im going to medical school in 2010 whether it is the US or in the carribean..

this time aorund ireally did everything to study and prepare..im hopnig to get my app out by next tuesday!

best of luck to everyone this cycle, and i know that some of us didnt get what we wanted but i guess thats life..and we just have to deal with the failures and dissappointments..

but i wont ever give up. ever. =)

Keep that attitude and you'll do just fine!

Much "stranger" things have happened. Apply broadly broadly (MD & DO) and best of luck to you!.

Thank you all!!!!!!!!!! I wish the best of luck to everybody this cycle and am very fortunate to be done already. I know you will all do great!

I don't want to be a debbie downer here but most schools consider your GPA and MCAT throughout the process... how much weight they give to those aspects varies.

Take UASOM. They take 50% of your 'ranking score' from your MCAT, GPA, and LOR. The other 50% is from ECs, shadowing, volunteerism, personality, etc.

What sucks about this whole process is that you can rock the subjective parts which are the true indicator of what kind of doctor a person will be but then have less than desirable objective parts that will be used against you.

Does a 26 MCAT mean you won't be a good doctor? No it doesn't but it can and will be used as an excuse.

That isn't to say I don't think you can get into a allo school with that score, you surely can but I think it wise to explore the DO option as well.

In any case, best of luck to everyone!

I don't want to be a debbie downer here but most schools consider your GPA and MCAT throughout the process... how much weight they give to those aspects varies.

Take UASOM. They take 50% of your 'ranking score' from your MCAT, GPA, and LOR. The other 50% is from ECs, shadowing, volunteerism, personality, etc.

What sucks about this whole process is that you can rock the subjective parts which are the true indicator of what kind of doctor a person will be but then have less than desirable objective parts that will be used against you.

Does a 26 MCAT mean you won't be a good doctor? No it doesn't but it can and will be used as an excuse.

That isn't to say I don't think you can get into a allo school with that score, you surely can but I think it wise to explore the DO option as well.

In any case, best of luck to everyone!

Just to clear up any confusion, CanMD was referring to Canadian med schools. Post-interview, MCAT and GPA scores are not considered at most schools (not all, but especially in Ontario). Students are then typically ranked based on interview performance.

Not sure if OleMissBabyDoc was also referring to Canadian med schools (I think she was). I am sure most American med schools do consider MCAT scores and GPA post-interview, but as you said, the weight varies from school to school.

Also, I forgot to congratulate you on your acceptance. Well done!

Med schools are starting to figure out that mere reliance on MCAT scores and GPA results in boatloads of applicants who are great students of science, but can't actually talk to people, work with patients, etc.

And then there are doctors who love to talk to patients but can't calculate cardiac output without staring blankly at the ceiling for two minutes. The MCAT tests your judgment under pressure. And you will be under pressure as a doctor and making countless judgments every minute, many requiring a strong understanding of the underlying science.

You need both science and social skills. But don't dismiss the MCAT as just an arbitrary hurdle...

Members don't see this ad :)
You need both science and social skills. But don't dismiss the MCAT as just an arbitrary hurdle...

I totally agree.
But the fact that someone can bring his/her MCAT score from mid 20 to high 30's also says something about how accurate MCAT is at judging one's ability.

I totally agree.
But the fact that someone can bring his/her MCAT score from mid 20 to high 30's also says something about how accurate MCAT is at judging one's ability.
Most likely that person changed his studying habits or the first test was an off-day. No one said one couldn't retake the MCAT if they thought it didn't reflect their abilities. That's why people shouldn't make excuses for 20's.... they can always retake it. But if nothing was done to significantly address the problems they had the first time, then they will likely get a similar or lower score on the retake. And who is to say that the person will address these problems once they are in medical school? I think a large jump in MCAT does show that one has indeed "reformed" his studying and test-taking abilities, and at the very least it shows that he is extremely committed and can deliver what he promises.

Most likely that person changed his studying habits or the first test was an off-day. No one said one couldn't retake the MCAT if they thought it didn't reflect their abilities. That's why people shouldn't make excuses for 20's.... they can always retake it. But if nothing was done to significantly address the problems they had the first time, then they will likely get a similar or lower score on the retake. And who is to say that the person will address these problems once they are in medical school? I think a large jump in MCAT does show that one has indeed "reformed" his studying and test-taking abilities, and at the very least it shows that he is extremely committed and can deliver what he promises.

couple things: Do you guys know which section on the mcat is considered the most predictive for medical school success? Which section has the best correlation with USMLE scores? You might want to think about that when linking cardiac output calculations and all that jazzy stuff with the MCAT.

Also, which school(s) have the highest average USMLE scores per class. Are these the same schools that have the highest MCAT average?

Some programs take those with lower mcat scores (whether they are from individuals who are URM or disadvantaged, or even those who just got mediocre MCAT scores) and give them a year of medical school programs. Most get into the regular curriculum after a year. Do they score significantly less than others who had higher MCAT scores?

One last thing- I took first year pathology with 1st year medical students at a certain highly ranked medical school. I don't think this has been done before at my university which has about 50,000 students at any given year. I scored significantly better than the medical students on every exam, including the final exam, as well as my final grade. My first mcat was a 27. And this MCAT was a 30. The average mcat of students at my school is higher than this.

I know you can't generalize on single cases but having gone through this I understand that you should definitely take someone's MCAT score with a grain of salt. It's how they performed on one set of questions, on 5-9 hours of a single day of their lives. It's not perfect and it's barely adequate in my opinion. There's plenty of people, and researchers, and papers, and studies that show the limited predictive ability of an mcat score.

Oh yeah, another thing. Not everyone can take the summer off, or take a light quarter load or whatever so they can study for the mcat. I'm a research tech, 40+ hours a week, as well as working every weekend at another job. It's hard to come home at 6pm, make dinner, and finally get settled down to study at 7pm only to sleep at 9 or so, etc...

I only say this not as an excuse for a mediocre mcat score but because I'm trying to illustrate that different people are in less optimal situations. Therefore, the test is biased to those who have the time, resources (money, time, etc.,)

I'm rambling now but you guys get my point. Oh yeah, and my exams and final in the path class was designed to emulate and prepare one for the USMLE so the questions were case study type, etc. etc.

I don't see anybody here describing the MCAT as an "arbitrary hurdle." If you reread what you quoted from my post, I was being critical of the past traditional approach of relying solely (or nearly so) on MCAT scores and GPA.

Clearly, physicians are scientists who need to be able to operate at a high level and deal with whatever stresses are implicit in the job. But don't mistake "ER" for life as every physician. Across most of the profession, practicing medicine is about relationships with the patient. (No, I'm not talking about Oprah-style chitchat and feeling everybody's pain.) Even the cardiac surgeon who needs to make quick, accurate calculations about cardiac output at a moment's notice needs to relate to patients when making decisions leading up to the surgery and rehabbing afterwards. In the emergency department, many of the patients are unconscious when they come in... otherwise, a physician's ability to relate to people directly affects their ability to put their training, intelligence, an mental-calculating abilities to best use.

I don't question that MCAT has a valuable place in the process. But MCAT performance is not real life as a physician. It gives medical schools an opportunity to learn something about your character, your determination, your ability, and to a lesser extent your knowledge. But as someone who was trained as an educator, I can tell you that standardized testing is often less about how good you are at the subject matter than how good you are at the test. As it turns out, I'm really good at standardized tests and have a high GPA. I did great on the MCAT. Yay for me, but med schools are beginning to understand that won't necessarily make me a good physician.

Don't get me wrong... MCAT scores are highly predictive--but not of medical school "success" (whatever that is). Doing well on the MCAT indicates that you'll do well at other tests... USMLEs. Obviously, that's necessary if you want to be a doctor, but great USMLE scores also don't make somebody a great doctor. If you or I or anybody can figure out how to predict that, there's a Nobel prize coming our way.

I have respect for the process, including the MCAT. But I think that the most significant things that schools can learn from the scores are:

1. So you think you want to be a doctor. Do you really mean it?
  2. No, really. Do you mean it?
  3. Can you hack the kind of hard work it's going to take? Here's a sample.
  4. I really have to ask again... you sure you mean it?
These are very important things to find out for somebody entrusted with the medical care of other human beings, often under demanding circumstances. A classic "good" example to answer those questions might be the person who took the exam once and scored 41T. But those questions may also be answered equally well by someone who has taken the exam more than once and picked up five points. Do you really mean it? Oh, yeah, I mean it... and I can back it up with hard work, too.

I don't dismiss the MCAT as an arbitrary hurdle, but I think that schools are getting better at placing those scores in the overall context of what makes a person a potential physician. Good for them... and for us... and for everybody who will ever need a doctor.

One last thing- I took first year pathology with 1st year medical students at a certain highly ranked medical school. I don't think this has been done before at my university which has about 50,000 students at any given year. I scored significantly better than the medical students on every exam, including the final exam, as well as my final grade. My first mcat was a 27. And this MCAT was a 30. The average mcat of students at my school is higher than this.

c/QUOTE]

I think it's great that you did that, and good job to you for doing so well...however, you were taking only one med school class and the med students were, I presume, taking several others at the same time. I don't mean to detract from your accomplishment, it's just something that should be pointed out.

and I think 30 is a fine MCAT score. well, I hope so anyway

couple things: Do you guys know which section on the mcat is considered the most predictive for medical school success? Which section has the best correlation with USMLE scores? You might want to think about that when linking cardiac output calculations and all that jazzy stuff with the MCAT.

Also, which school(s) have the highest average USMLE scores per class. Are these the same schools that have the highest MCAT average?

Some programs take those with lower mcat scores (whether they are from individuals who are URM or disadvantaged, or even those who just got mediocre MCAT scores) and give them a year of medical school programs. Most get into the regular curriculum after a year. Do they score significantly less than others who had higher MCAT scores?
j

I know you can't generalize on single cases but having gone through this I understand that you should definitely take someone's MCAT score with a grain of salt. It's how they performed on one set of questions, on 5-9 hours of a single day of their lives. It's not perfect and it's barely adequate in my opinion. There's plenty of people, and researchers, and papers, and studies that show the limited predictive ability of an mcat score.
The MCAT is really the only thing objective in everyone's AMCAS application. Obviously it provides incomplete information on its own. But I'd take an MCAT score over one grade in one medical school class any time, no offense.

Also how about you giving some citations to back your claim of "plenty of people, and researchers, and papers, and studies that show the limited predictive ability of an mcat score"?

I, on the other hand, can give you plenty of studies that show that the MCAT correlates better with USMLE Step 1 than cumulative and science undergraduate GPA.

See this article:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nkpos=3&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

And this article:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12377692

By the way, the Biological Sciences section on the MCAT has the highest correlation to board scores.

Your turn.

Oh yeah, another thing. Not everyone can take the summer off, or take a light quarter load or whatever so they can study for the mcat. I'm a research tech, 40+ hours a week, as well as working every weekend at another job. It's hard to come home at 6pm, make dinner, and finally get settled down to study at 7pm only to sleep at 9 or so, etc...

I only say this not as an excuse for a mediocre mcat score but because I'm trying to illustrate that different people are in less optimal situations. Therefore, the test is biased to those who have the time, resources (money, time, etc.,)

I'm sure some people do what you said (hire private tutors etc.), but it's possible to do well while working full time. You just have to make the MCAT a priority for a few months.

I'm sure some people do what you said (hire private tutors etc.), but it's possible to do well while working full time. You just have to make the MCAT a priority for a few months.

Ya I definitely agree with that. The first time I took the mcat in the summer with nothing else to do but study for it and I did really poorly, then I took it 5/2 with you all and did much better while taking 19 credits. It was all a matter about making up my mind to prioritize the mcat and put in the necessary hours to do well. It might not be fun to study in addition to working full time or going to school full time, but it can be done!

I don't see anybody here describing the MCAT as an "arbitrary hurdle." If you reread what you quoted from my post, I was being critical of the past traditional approach of relying solely (or nearly so) on MCAT scores and GPA.

Clearly, physicians are scientists who need to be able to operate at a high level and deal with whatever stresses are implicit in the job. But don't mistake "ER" for life as every physician. Across most of the profession, practicing medicine is about relationships with the patient. (No, I'm not talking about Oprah-style chitchat and feeling everybody's pain.) Even the cardiac surgeon who needs to make quick, accurate calculations about cardiac output at a moment's notice needs to relate to patients when making decisions leading up to the surgery and rehabbing afterwards. In the emergency department, many of the patients are unconscious when they come in... otherwise, a physician's ability to relate to people directly affects their ability to put their training, intelligence, an mental-calculating abilities to best use.

I don't question that MCAT has a valuable place in the process. But MCAT performance is not real life as a physician. It gives medical schools an opportunity to learn something about your character, your determination, your ability, and to a lesser extent your knowledge. But as someone who was trained as an educator, I can tell you that standardized testing is often less about how good you are at the subject matter than how good you are at the test. As it turns out, I'm really good at standardized tests and have a high GPA. I did great on the MCAT. Yay for me, but med schools are beginning to understand that won't necessarily make me a good physician.

Don't get me wrong... MCAT scores are highly predictive--but not of medical school "success" (whatever that is). Doing well on the MCAT indicates that you'll do well at other tests... USMLEs. Obviously, that's necessary if you want to be a doctor, but great USMLE scores also don't make somebody a great doctor. If you or I or anybody can figure out how to predict that, there's a Nobel prize coming our way.

I have respect for the process, including the MCAT. But I think that the most significant things that schools can learn from the scores are:

1. So you think you want to be a doctor. Do you really mean it?
  2. No, really. Do you mean it?
  3. Can you hack the kind of hard work it's going to take? Here's a sample.
  4. I really have to ask again... you sure you mean it?
These are very important things to find out for somebody entrusted with the medical care of other human beings, often under demanding circumstances. A classic "good" example to answer those questions might be the person who took the exam once and scored 41T. But those questions may also be answered equally well by someone who has taken the exam more than once and picked up five points. Do you really mean it? Oh, yeah, I mean it... and I can back it up with hard work, too.

I don't dismiss the MCAT as an arbitrary hurdle, but I think that schools are getting better at placing those scores in the overall context of what makes a person a potential physician. Good for them... and for us... and for everybody who will ever need a doctor.

No point in arguing, but still kill the MCAT everyone---

Last edited:
Hey guys, sorry for the late post on my results:

Average of 4-10 AAMC: 37.4

Ranges:
BS: 13-15 Avg: 14.4
PS: 12-14 Avg: 13.2
V: 8-11 Avg: 9.8

On my last AAMC I scored a 40: BS:15 PS:14 V:11

Actual MCAT : 31P
BS:10
PS:12
V: 9

Needless to say I was pretty disappointed but definitely within what I expected after walking out. The BS section hit most of my weak points and is the section I am most upset at. PS was hard but still within my range, and Verbal was within my range but I would prefer a double digit.

So I have decided to not apply this year. I will be taking a year off and restudying for the MCAT. While I KNOW a 31 is a very good score, from what I have been scoring I am pretty unhappy with it.

Good luck all with the applications this year :)

Can we never speak of the MCAT again?

Haha.. it's like you're walking into a restaurant and demanding people to not mention food. :D

So I have decided to not apply this year. I will be taking a year off and restudying for the MCAT. While I KNOW a 31 is a very good score, from what I have been scoring I am pretty unhappy with it.

Gosh you were doing so well with your AAMC practices! I'd be super upset as well. Well, I believe you have the ability to obtain a high 30 score, and I hope you get your dream score next time!

Hey guys, sorry for the late post on my results:

Average of 4-10 AAMC: 37.4

Ranges:
BS: 13-15 Avg: 14.4
PS: 12-14 Avg: 13.2
V: 8-11 Avg: 9.8

On my last AAMC I scored a 40: BS:15 PS:14 V:11

Actual MCAT : 31P
BS:10
PS:12
V: 9

Needless to say I was pretty disappointed but definitely within what I expected after walking out. The BS section hit most of my weak points and is the section I am most upset at. PS was hard but still within my range, and Verbal was within my range but I would prefer a double digit.

Restudy for the MCAT!?!?

With those practice scores

Don't waste your time

go take it again---it was probably nerves---

Really focus on your weak points

Take the MCAT this summer --- why waste any more time?

fishbones. i looked at your mdapp you seem like one of those people that want to go to a top 10.

if i were you, i'd just apply and get in this year cuz you will get in somewhere. why waste a year just for a name?

you went to a UC school. not like that has a good name.
31 is a good score.

im left wondering what went wrong in the relationship. did I not do enough..communicate clearly enough..

but it does feel strage without it lol.

Haha..

right after our split I met someone else, so I haven't been thinking about it a lot. But I have to say, it was a bittersweet relationship that will always be in my heart.

my relationship with this MCAT was brief but it was intense and we went out with a bang... more of a fling than anything else.

haha..
well we dated back in jan 08 but things didnt go well at all!!

this time around we did better but still not on the same page..i just dont understand what he wants from me..lol =)

my last relationship with him was an abusive one last year on that friday the 13th when he attacked me!! i knew i should have never forgave him for that but i gave him another chance and he broke my heart again..

i am never going to trust another mcat.. loll

i completely agree..he is a heartbreaker..
especially after i was so loyal and faithful..and spent all this time investing in him..

mcat no more will you rule my life..

So, I will be retaking on Aug 6. I recieved a 26 and I bombed my PS. I know I can score in the 30's but what I was wondering if I should apply now and check that box that says I'm retaking or should I wait to get my next score back that will be in early september. I'm from minnesota and my best chances are at duluth or minneapolis. I only have the money for about 8-10 schools to apply to. Please send me some feed back.

Thanks for all the kind words people.

For the last 3/4 months I have been conflicted on whether I should apply this year or take a year off. I am currently a Jr. so I would of been going straight to medical school.

When I first started studying for the MCAT, and since I started college for that matter, I was planning on finishing in 4 years and then heading to med school right after. However, towards the end of my studying for the MCAT it dawned on me that I would be doing this essentially everyday while in med school. Now don't get me wrong, I love studying and actually studying for the MCAT was pretty fun (relatively) but I have in college non-stop(and summer school) for the last 3 years without a break. I am a double major and will be graduating over this summer (in 3 years).

So for me, my score on the MCAT was a blessing in disguise as it helped me make my choice to take a year off. I think I need a break before I jump back into school again or I definitely will get worn out. So might as well restudy and hopefully get close to my range of the MCAT if I will be taking a year off.

Well anyway thats my reasoning.

Last edited:
hey guys, isn't it annoying when, on the mcat section of your aamcas application, it asks if you've taken, or plan to take, a mcat from may-october 2009?

Now it says that I'm 'planning' on taking the may2 2009 exam when I've already taken it and the scores released...

grr

hey guys, isn't it annoying when, on the mcat section of your aamcas application, it asks if you've taken, or plan to take, a mcat from may-october 2009?

Now it says that I'm 'planning' on taking the may2 2009 exam when I've already taken it and the scores released...

grr

u can go back and say no! i just changed that today :)

grr

Ya it's a little confusing but what I think they just want to know if you're planning on taking an additional mcat.

Late post, but I have had very little internet access. Nice job on the scores everybody - especially those high 30s, so freaking awesome!!

Anywho, I'm really really happy with my scores, right on my AAMC practice average... kaplan not so much, my prac scores were all over the place

Practice AAMC 33.3 Avg

Actual 33R
PS 10
BS 12
VR 11

SO Glad to have 10+ in all sections and apparently the graders liked my ode to pornography that was my first essay. Good stuff.

The reason I've had no internet is because I was in Europe (attempting to run away from stress - it worked REALLY WELL). The day the scores came out it was 11pm in Germany so naturally I was boozin, I left the bar to check my scores and ran back - I was so happy with my scores that I sobbed to the whole bar and got 4 free pitchers. Great night. :)

How's everybody doing? done with applications? i miss my fellow May 2nders!!

good luck to you all this application cycle =)

aiming for a July 1stish primary submission. How much is it for like 20 schools? I still have to rewrite my personal statement and update my app and stuff but it shouldn't be too bad.