June 5 2020 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MimiGH

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I am looking to take the MCAT on June 5 2020, scores will be available July 7 2020. I will ensure to list at least one school on the application, that way I am able to undergo the verification process and will add my other schools as soon as I receive my score.

Can you please advice on this plan? I will very much appreciate a brief explanation as well. I believe additional time (initial test date was April) will be significant to me.

A few people have said it will but me at a disadvantage, my school adviser said "it will give schools a bad representation of you, so it better to submit an application with scores readily available"

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took the mcat on June 15th and was told that it was fine to do so. I also submitted my primary to one school to get verified without the score, and do not believe that it placed me at a disadvantage. I will say however, that you should be certain to pre write some secondaries, as they take FOREVER. That way, you’ll be able to rapidly submit to more schools should you decide to proceed with your score.

Reactions: 1 users
ah not sure why your advisor told you that... i've never heard of that putting you at a disadvantage from an adcom perspective. it will just put you at a disadvantage to yourself cause I guess your gambling a bit, but if your in your goal range with your practice exams, I don't really know how it would put you at a significant disadvantage. Plenty of people go through with your plan.

First and foremost, make sure you are prepared for your MCAT. Taking that thing twice is worse than taking it once and killing it regardless of the time you took the exam.

Without your score though, you can't make a solid school list - and that is a disadvantage (you will always see adcoms say "come back with a MCAT score, can't advise you at the moment"). Hypothetically, if you make a school list based on your averages of your practice exam scores, there still is no guarantee you will get that score. So if you score significantly lower for whatever reason, you will have to spend time adjusting it to make sure it is solid. With the amount of research you need to put in to selecting the appropriate schools, having to make two school lists will be tedious and will take a long time.

The only advantage really to having your score right away when you apply is to make sure your school list is solid. Applying smart makes your chances better for admission. For example, bad school lists are a 3.5gpa 505 applicant applying to only harvard type schools or a 3.9gpa 522 applicant applying only to North Dakota type schools. A good school list is a 3.85gpa 515 applicant applying to mostly mid-tier programs in which it is not too top heavy or a complete undershoot.

I took the mcat on June 15th and was told that it was fine to do so. I also submitted my primary to one school to get verified without the score, and do not believe that it placed me at a disadvantage. I will say however, that you should be certain to pre write some secondaries, as they take FOREVER. That way, you’ll be able to rapidly submit to more schools should you decide to proceed with your score.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ah not sure why your advisor told you that... i've never heard of that putting you at a disadvantage from an adcom perspective. it will just put you at a disadvantage to yourself cause I guess your gambling a bit, but if your in your goal range with your practice exams, I don't really know how it would put you at a significant disadvantage. Plenty of people go through with your plan.

First and foremost, make sure you are prepared for your MCAT. Taking that thing twice is worse than taking it once and killing it regardless of the time you took the exam.

Without your score though, you can't make a solid school list - and that is a disadvantage (you will always see adcoms say "come back with a MCAT score, can't advise you at the moment"). Hypothetically, if you make a school list based on your averages of your practice exam scores, there still is no guarantee you will get that score. So if you score significantly lower for whatever reason, you will have to spend time adjusting it to make sure it is solid. With the amount of research you need to put in to selecting the appropriate schools, having to make two school lists will be tedious and will take a long time.

The only advantage really to having your score right away when you apply is to make sure your school list is solid. Applying smart makes your chances better for admission. For example, bad school lists are a 3.5gpa 505 applicant applying to only harvard type schools or a 3.9gpa 522 applicant applying only to North Dakota type schools. A good school list is a 3.85gpa 515 applicant applying to mostly mid-tier programs in which it is not too top heavy or a complete undershoot.

Thank you very much for your detailed response, regarding the school list - i found this service Medical School Chance Predictor | Prospective Doctor, I intend using this, I will also take the risk of using the average of my practice exams.

Hello.

I am looking to take the MCAT on June 5 2020, scores will be available June 7 2020. I will ensure to list at least one school on the application, that way I am able to undergo the verification process and will add my other schools as soon as I receive my score.

Can you please advice on this plan? I will very much appreciate a brief explanation as well. I believe additional time (initial test date was April) will be significant to me.

A few people have said it will but me at a disadvantage, my school adviser said "it will give schools a bad representation of you, so it better to submit an application with scores readily available"

Thank you.
I just wanted to make sure you knew but your score won't be released till July 7th not June 7th. You will still be fine I took the MCAT the same time frame and heard back from plenty of schools. Just start your secondaries early because they come in fast

Reactions: 1 user
I just wanted to make sure you knew but your score won't be released till July 7th not June 7th. You will still be fine I took the MCAT the same time frame and heard back from plenty of schools. Just start your secondaries early because they come in fast

typo!! thanks for your concern!

This isn’t the best plan (working on your app while studying for the MCAT), but other than that it is fine. Don’t submit your app to more than one school until you receive your score. You can use that month waiting for your score to pre write secondaries. Assuming you’re submitting before your exam, you should be verified by the time you get your score and your app will still be early.

I took the last MCAT in mid May and didn't submit to any schools until I got my score back mid June. I finished my primary by late June and I was still able to be complete at all schools before labor day. I would advise waiting till you get your score back as then you can decide if you want to apply without the risk of being a reapplicant next cycle. Contrary to popular belief, most schools do not review applications in the order they were submitted. Just as a heads up being complete by September is still "early".