The 5/2/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simran1031

Princess of 2014=)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I officially signed up for the beast yesterday! I am not sure if this group is already created but I thought of starting one! I have started intense content review. and hoping to finish content review by end of feb. then march april i am just going to be working on practice tests! best of luck to everyone out there =)

Members don't see this ad.

Count me in! =D
I thought this date was perfect because it was offered at 12pm! Way better than those 8am testings! ^^
I hope you and I both can get our content reviews done by the end of february! (I wouldn't mind March either)
Just give me April for hardcore practice testing~

I agree! i am def. not an early riser!! =) i want to finish content as soon as possible..so i can have 1 week of intense review of all of the content I have covered..then go into practice tests =)

I am not an early riser either. It looks like we all have one thing in common-being nocturnal creatures. Goodluck everyone. I hope to complete content review by the end of Feb as well. What books are you all using? I have Kaplan and PR

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya i signed up for the beast yesterday as well.:oops: I planned on taking it on April 18th but took my time registering coz I was freaking out:eek:. This was the last seat available till August. I jumped on it. I am still doing content review. I need to get it done!

I am not an early riser either. It looks like we all have one thing in common-being nocturnal creatures. Goodluck everyone. I hope to complete content review by the end of Feb as well. What books are you all using? I have Kaplan and PR

I am using that list of books that Boondocks recommends. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7612998&postcount=2
I am almost finished collecting everything. Trying to get them used is a lot of work. :laugh:

Good luck guys with the studying!!!
94 days (once midnight approaches) until the test... (downloaded this program that tells you how many days you have left... I am not that crazy to count it)

Kiwi, I was crazy enough to count!:D

You guys are CRAZY! HAHAHA *goes off and counts* jk jk
Was I right or was I right? :D

Anyways, let's all keep in touch and show off our progress and etc. Keep each other motivated and on a strict timeline. :smuggrin:
You all taking classing while doing this?

Hey guys, I recently registered for this test date. I hope everyone's studying is going well. Unfortunately, we're already approaching the three-month mark. :scared:

so nice to see that our group is going!! i am using EK stuff for content..and kaplan stuff for practice with full lengths..did the equilibrium ch from physics and looking over torque stuff!! =) who knew physics would start making sense after i took it in undergrad. LOL. best of luck to everyone!! we can do this!! =)

Simran1031, I like your blog. So Detailed! :laugh:
Maybe I should write one too. Hopefully mine won't be like... Today I did nothing... >_<

Go May 2nd MCATers! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
thank u =) i mostly do it to keep my sanity through the process..=) but my mcat schedule is really killing me cuz by the time i finsih reading the ek book, listening to audio osmoisis, re-reading to take notes,re-listening to take notes..and do 1001 series for the section and correct it!! im exhausted!! =) but i am being bad and double books so i do 2 chapters a day instead of one..that way..my every single day isnt consumed and i can get a little ahead..but i find correcting the 1001 hardest!! oh yea..for bio..you guys should totally check out youtube..i watched these great videos on glyclysis, kreb cycle...transcription..replication..and i lovd it! i have this drawing spiral notebbok where i keep all my drawn illustraitions..because drawing it out..really helps you remember i feel! best of lukc to everyone out there studying!! =) keep up the good work..and we will be getting those awesome scores back in no time!! =)

Shoot me now! Could I have picked a worse time to do this? In the middle of nursing school and trying to get the physics to register. what blog is this? I could use an escape from this stressful time.

mulzstl, if you look at Simran1031's profile or the left hand side of his/her post, you see this "Blog Entries" with a number behind it. Click on the number to see their blog.
I also decided to write a blog to vent, show my progress, and just for memories sake. =]

Keep up the good work guys.
mulzstl, you can do it! I guess you just have to use your time even more wisely than some of us.

hello everyone!! blogging def. helps! =) hang in there. i cant lie though..today i feel like doing absolutely nothing at all..but i am fighting the urge to do nothing and doing ek bio ch 9 =) since its short! haha. =)

lol...i wish! im just skipping around! =)
thus far i have done
bio 1, bio 2, chem 1, chem 4, chem 5, orgo 1, verbal 1, physics 1,2,3..
but i need to go back to chem 4 and physics 2 and 3 to do corrections..and i need to go beck to chem 5 to do the 1001 series and do correction..the last two days i have been trying to cover 2 chapters a day..which makes doing 1001 and reviewing the wrong answers difficutl! i just finished taking notes on audio osmosis bio 9 so now im off to read the ch again before i attempt the bio ch 9 1001 series. =)

Im in on this one too! I have started content review. will be finished in a couple weeks where ill be starting on practice questions and practice tests like a mad dog for a couple months! good luck!!

Oh I saw the blog. I am off to read it. Ya i need to get super serious and use my time wisely which should involve not being here chit chatting but here I am. I am truly a lost soul lol:rolleyes:

Simran I am loving the blog. I will definitely be checking in from time to time. I can relate. I cant believe I am going to watch a movie instead of studying. I am going to have a late night tonight to catch up. Thank goodness for coffee and Sunday mornings.:D

how many hours a day are you guys studying right now?

i told myself i would do 2 chapters a day of chem/phys one day and bio/orgo or bio/verbal the next but that hasnt been working out well due to laziness and distractions ...

im using EK and so far have only covered chem 1, 2, phys 1, 2, 3, bio 1, 2, orgo 1, 2, ..havent touched verbal yet and should.

i feel behind -_-.

thank you for your blog complements. hehe =) i think i did it for myself..so i can push studying as back as possible lol! i am not sure what will make us official!! i should have put official on the title! my bad=) in terms of studying hours per day...it depends on you..i think i have realized that for me it has become a matter of quantity not quality..but i end up putting about 8-10 hours a day but this includes like a lunch break..and a longer break for dinner. i find that my attnetion span and my ability to retain info goes down as the day passes on so the mornings i am very productive and evenings it takes me longer to grasp the information..instead of outlining my schedule mainly by time..what i havbe treid to do is schedule a partiuclar task at the time..for example..
here is what tommorow will look like for me..
9-10 breakfast
11-1 Read Chem Ch 2 EK and listen to audio osmosis
1-2 lunch
2-5- Read and take notes, listen and take notes Chem 2 EK
5-7- Do 1001 series for Chem Ch 2
7-10- dinner/long break
10-12 - review 1001 series by marking corrections.
but the thing is this is only a shceudle..usually i dont wake up early enough for breakfast..i usually barely wake up at 10.45 lol..and head to study..and i skip lunch..or take like a 15 minute break to eat..the note taking doesnt take me three hrs..so i usually stary my 1001 series around 3.30 or 4 which helps cuz this part takes me sometimes longer than 2 hrs..and then i take my long break..to drink some tea..relax..but then i usally come back to studying around 8.30 or 9..and i sleep around 1 or 2..so i usually finish revewing my 1001 corrections..but then i do things..like make diagrams in my diagram book..to help me rember stuff..or i wiki and youtube..concepts..

so i think you shouldnt concentrate on the time as much as the material..there have been days when i havent even gotten to correcting the 1001 seires because the other stuff took so long..and thats ok..i have decided to give myself a break on weekends..epeically because i am supposed to focus for 3 months straight there is no way i can study every single day..so this weekend i did nada!! but tonight hoping to get craclking!! hope this helps =)

and honestly..for me i have found that sometims..i can spend 15 minutes on a concept and if my mind and heart are there..i get it very quick..but then again i can spend 2 hrs on something..and still feel lost if im too tired..for me..i try to be honest with myself.. and only study when i know my mind and heart are in it!! (luckily that most of the time, and i am actually starting to appreciate the science behind it. hehe=))

hope this helps!!

simran you are so hardcore. I just do whatever I can whenever I feel like actually doing something. I know its an awful way to go but I find myself actually learning stuff when I get in the zone.

Fortunately I am starting the princeton review next week and so they will whip me into shape by force ;)

barely. i think its called ocd..=)

if this exam is the only thing that stands between me and being a doctor. this exam better watch out cuz I am coming!! but everyone has their own style..i tend to obsess a lot with matters that are of high importance to me. i personally dont recommend it cuz it consumes your life!!

oh i feel the same. Now I am out of college and so everything is pretty much outa my hands except for the MCAT. I have studied for it since December but I think I am worried about getting burned out, so I am just going at my own pace and ramping it up slowly.

Also I want to take the MCAT and just focus on applications which is why I'm glad I am going to take this thing once no matter what, haha.

you will do great rama kandra!! i graduated may 08 myself..and i have taken the beast once so personally i am not trying to take it a 3rd time. lol. =)

Count me in! I'm way too old to wake up before 8AM so 05/02/09 it is! Anyone looking for study buddy in the Northern NJ or NYC vicinity shoot me a PM. :)

ps: I'm hoping all you guys are idiots so I can curve my way to a 36+!!! :smuggrin:

i personally wish everyone does their best on the exam..this is such a big exam for all of us that i dont want to wish ill on anyone. and personally..if you do bad on the exam i don't think it makes you dumb. i think a poor score indicates 1. you may not have prepared properly 2. you were feeling nervous and choked on the actual exam 3. you werent ready for an array of reasons..and the list can go on and on..i think the fact that the mcat score can make you feel dumb or smart is fundamentally what is wrogn with the mcats..i dont think the exam defines me..however..i think doing well on the exam does show that you can master subject matter despite all odds that are going against you..

Hope everyone is doing well! I haven't studyed much for this test >_< 87 days left to go guys. I did devote some time to watching the Australian Open, but it was so late!

Simran, I see you are chugging away at full pace. Awesome =P

Go 5/2! =]

i wish!! not as much as i would like to be..but this week is just gonna be crazy like tat. good thing i got ahead last week! the verbal strategey in vr ch 4 is really tripping me up though..like to keep so many gaps between review? jsut seems strange to me..and i cant seem to break a 9..ugh.. =(

thank you so much for your support! =) and right back at you. its very difficult to do with mcats while classes are going on though..because you have so many things to juggle!! i suck at work life mcat balance so..just quit my job and decdied to do mcat full time =) but its so much harder when you are trying to fit it in with classes..and other activities..so kudos to everyone taking it along side classes/job or both!!

I know I am taking 16 hours at school not really by choice and I have to work but that's every other weekend I need a break but there is not enough time. i did enjoy the super bowl on sunday.:p I enjoyed the time off. well i need to go do my homework. good luck guys

HI everyone, I signed up for this date also, I was trying to get a date in April but all the sites near me are full so this was the earliest I could get. I started reviewing in January. I'm only using EK but the schedule they had was too annoying to follow, LOL. I'm doing one subject at a time technique, not sure its the best but it works for me. I'm currently on Physics which is my worse subject so that is taking longer than I'd like haha. My goal is to finish all content review by the end of February if not then the second week of March. Good luck to everyone.

Man. I love to procrastinate...

Current members:
Simran1031, KiwiBruin, puddingvasan, mulzstl, tmac11, cwfergus, rama kandra, avp6 (not 100% sure), Focus30, Housefan84

Total: 10

Small group so far, but as we get closer to May, I have a feeling it will grow! :D

I just got my EK 101 verbal passages today! If I don't do any by this weekend... please make me feel bad! xD

Hey Guys

I am taking the MCAT on May 2nd as well. Trying to complete content review by the end of this month so I can focus on practice exams. Simran and Kiwi-enjoyed your blogs. You guys have inspired me to blog as well. Will start tomorrow. Good going guys. We can do this with each other's motivation.

yes we can!! =) we are all going to rock this exam..best of luck everyone!! =)

+ 1 :)

It seems like I'm lagging behind on the studying front, I only started this past weekend...

and I'm working 40 hrs/week,
so basically I've parted with having a life for 3 months

I'm gonna do content review for 2 months, and leave April for practice tests, hoping that's enough time :xf:

then again, given that I only had 1 month for content review and practice last time I took the MCAT, 3 months seems reasonable enough

Good luck guys! Anyone taking the test in NY?

+1

Just signed up for it.

I just finished my content review last Friday. Started late December. Now its time to drown in practice problems. If anyone is curious, I am using BR for Physics, Gen Chem, and Verbal. And EK for Bio, Ochem, and Verbal(again). I do not like this verbal section. Deffinetly my weakest area by far!

I'm having problems with verbal as well, it's a tie between verbal and ps in matters of success for me...

I got a Verbal Training book (it's called verbal reasoning mastery and it's published by IvyHall, I believe)

it's expensive, but it's a great verbal strategy guide... they tell you how to read the passages, and what to pay attention to in the questions, and particularly important for me, they really give great advice for pacing...

they outline a training schedule to practice for verbal reasoning, that is focused around reading rigorously, and various practice exercises for improving memory and comprehension, in particular an innovative approach to reading passages called neuro visual programming where you retrain your brain to translate passages into pictures that are more memorable. They also have a suggested reading list for books and journals written in a caliber equal to that of the MCAT passages- that's great advice

the only problem is that it requires a huge time commitment for verbal practice (2-3 hours/day) for 6-8 months...

but any bit helps... you might find their input useful

You all are doing great. Keeping a blog which I have noticed several people doing is a great way to get out your thoughts about the MCAT in writing.

It also sounds like you all are very motivated and studying, which is a good thing. Keep up the good work!

yes verbal has been very challenging for me too!! but I am planning to do as many passages as it takes to get better!! and work on attention to detail..i think i need to read passages more carefully and get more in the zone! =) well im off to study best of luck everyone. you will all do great! =) :D

+1

Just signed up for it.

I just finished my content review last Friday. Started late December. Now its time to drown in practice problems. If anyone is curious, I am using BR for Physics, Gen Chem, and Verbal. And EK for Bio, Ochem, and Verbal(again). I do not like this verbal section. Deffinetly my weakest area by far!

This is great. now you have a lot of time to practice- which is soo important for this exam. the vr section is definitely my weakest section too. i am yet to try the EK stategy. hope it will work. good luck studying everyone.