The 5/2/09 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simran1031

Princess of 2014=)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I officially signed up for the beast yesterday! I am not sure if this group is already created but I thought of starting one! I have started intense content review. and hoping to finish content review by end of feb. then march april i am just going to be working on practice tests! best of luck to everyone out there =)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still in complete awe with my PS score. I was averaging 12-13 on aamc ps but got an 8 on this. Nothing went wrong either...I didn't run out of time or anything. I honestly have no explanation for this aaarrrgghhh. My pride is hurt sooo bad right now you have no idea. I studied so much for the ps and still got the same score as last year. Makes no sense since I had a huge improvement in aamc tests this year aarrghhh

I'm still in complete awe with my PS score. I was averaging 12-13 on aamc ps but got an 8 on this. Nothing went wrong either...I didn't run out of time or anything. I honestly have no explanation for this aaarrrgghhh. My pride is hurt sooo bad right now you have no idea. I studied so much for the ps and still got the same score as last year. Makes no sense since I had a huge improvement in aamc tests this year aarrghhh

Don't let it get to you. They're just numbers. Plus, I thought the PS section was a bit extreme. I had been averaging 13s on AAMC and ended up a few points lower. My overall score was lower than my AAMC average too. Just the luck of the draw on some questions I guess.

I wouldn't wish taking this test on my worst enemy. If you have to retake again, I'm sorry. I'm sure you can get the score you want (within reason). Just don't let this minor set-back get the best of you.

My worst nightmare has been realized. I am exactly where I did not want to be:

AAMC Averages:
PS: 11
VR: 12.5
BS: 12

Actual:
PS: 14
VR: 15
BS: 10
WS: T

So, 39T, seems awesome right? No, I am actually completely screwed. I am a Canadian, and the cut-off for the BS section is 11 at one of the two schools that strongly use the MCAT (the other has a 9, but I digress). This means that I will not get an interview at this school, unless I re-write. My chances at other schools are pretty much shot as they are extremely GPA heavy.

I have no idea how that happened in BS. It was easily the section I was most confident about. EASILY. Ugh. I guess I will be re-writing in August (earliest date I could get, and I want to make SURE this time).

It's times like these where I wish swapping MCAT scores was possible. I would gladly flip my score to an American for a 11 BS, 10 VR, 9 PS and R.

You REALLY need to get the f#@& over yourself... if this is an actual concern in your life, then I suggest you seek some help... 39 is probably the 98th percentile, and you have the audacity to complain about your grade? Why don't you just apply to the school with the 9 and see if you get in, there are also about 100 US Med Schools where your grade would be considered beyond competitive, you're living in an unrealistically ideal bubble, if you're gonna be disappointed by a grade like that

congratulations to all those who aren't lying about their 30+ and are actually happy with it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I posted my scores earlier but didn't have time to comment.

PS: 12
VR: 12
BS: 15
WS: S
Total: 39S

I was actually scared after the PS and even seriously considered voiding the exam. Good thing I didn't.

That's why I think no one should ever void just because they don't feel good about it.. Anyway, congrats on your beautiful numbers.

You REALLY need to get the f#@& over yourself... if this is an actual concern in your life, then I suggest you seek some help... 39 is probably the 98th percentile, and you have the audacity to complain about your grade? Why don't you just apply to the school with the 9 and see if you get in, there are also about 100 US Med Schools where your grade would be considered beyond competitive, you're living in an unrealistically ideal bubble, if you're gonna be disappointed by a grade like that

congratulations to all those who aren't lying about their 30+ and are actually happy with it

/signed

glad someone said what most of us are thinking

Reactions: 1 user
This sucks so royally

Go to the US of A

Or go to UBC, where I'm hoping to go...they don't have a cutoff of 11 for sure

Vancouver is the 'ish

Yes, Vancouver is awesome and UBC seems like a great school. I'll likely apply, but I doubt my GPA will be very competitive, particularly for OOP. Good luck with it though, like I said, it seems like a great school.

aw i'm sorry rocketbooster, good luck with everything and I hope you get in to your state school

Wow, relax. Pardon me for being realistic about my situation. I should seek help? Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just guessing that you don't understand how it works in Canada (particularly Ontario).

There are only 5 medical schools that I can realistically apply to In-Province. Of those 5, three are extremely GPA heavy. In other words, they have GPA medians of about 3.9+. I am not really that close to such a GPA. The other two schools are MCAT heavy. They require roughly a 3.75 GPA for your last two years, but they have extremely rigid MCAT cut-offs. One school had cutoffs this year of 9, 9, 9, R, while the second school had cut-offs of 9PS, 10VR, 11BS, Q. If you do not make ALL of the cut-offs at a school, you do not get an interview. Period. If you DO make all of the cut-offs (GPA and MCAT), then you are granted an interview, but your GPA and MCAT score do not factor into the final evaluation. What that means is that it does not matter how high you score on the MCAT or how high your GPA is, as long as you meet the minimum. In their eyes, my 39 is equivalent to someone else's 30. My overall score, my percentile, etc. - all of that couldn't mean less to them.

If I proceed with my current score, I would be given an interview at the first school I mentioned, but likely not the second (Granted, cut-offs may change, but given the increased level of competition, they are likely to go up rather than down). That school interviewed 650 students this year for 100 spots. Not exactly the best odds. They also have preference for students in that region, which I am not. Would you put all your eggs into one such basket?

I am not asking for your sympathy. I am not being full of myself. I am simply being realistic (contrary to what you believe). I have looked through this year's MSAR, and unlike what you say, there are not 100 schools where I would be "beyond competitive". There are roughly 30 schools that take a decent number of international students (not necessarily those studying internationally), most of which are private. I also don't think that I could afford the $60,000+ a year that it costs an international student (even after loans, with no option of scholarships or in-state residency) as well as the hassles associated with getting sponsorship for visas, etc.

Hopefully that should give you some insight into why I have to re-take this exam. I apologize if you were offended by my comments, but to be quite honest, I still stand by what I said. This is not a position that I wanted to be in. I am complaining about re-writing after achieving a score that does not really help me. I'm sure that I am not the first to do so.

seems like most people are doing around their AAMC avg. we of the 5/28 boat have been really worried by how hard we felt the test was. how was the general sentiment of people in this thread before you guys got your scores? also in a semi panic or confident?

seems like most people are doing around their AAMC avg. we of the 5/28 boat have been really worried by how hard we felt the test was. how was the general sentiment of people in this thread before you guys got your scores? also in a semi panic or confident?

linkin,
I wouldn't worry too much, i seriously felt like voiding and cried when i left the testing center but ended up with almost exactly what i've been getting in practices. I was not confident at all about my score but was very pleasantly surprised at the results. I'm sure you'll be fine, good luck!

Jackson1

Yes. Of course your MCAT is really unbalanced so don't let the 35 go to your head. Apply broadly and don't expect much love from the Ivys or the UCs. Are you a non-native speaker?

You should be able to get in somewhere.

English is my 3rd language in fact. I have only been in the US for 9 years

English is my 3rd language in fact. I have only been in the US for 9 years

Not to burst your bubbles or anything, but I've been in the US for 9 years as well. (can't you tell? my grammar and spellings are crap)
Verbal is hard as it is, even native speakers have trouble with it. I don't know if it's a good idea to use this as an excuse. Not to say that it isn't true, just be careful and don't let it sound that way at interviews and stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
there are a bunch of idiots on these forum that think they are the ****. You guys are all bunch of ignorant bastards who won't get anywhere in life with your competitive and putting down of other applicants behaviors. I hope I can see the ones that replied to my post in the interviews so I can spit on ur faces. I am done with this forum.

Lurker here, but just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I was pretty sure I walked out of the MCAT sub 30, but turns out I got a 33 O (12 P, 9 V, 12 B). Verbal was lower than normal, maybe I got too cocky when the passages were easier reading than the practice tests I took. It's the section that really tests how well you can focus for 60 min and can and will destroy your score. But then there are those exceptions like my friend who got a 15.

AAMC 9: 36
AAMC 10: 35

Lower than I had expected, but I walked into the MCAT w/ added stress from family issues, so I was ecstatic that I would not be retaking. I was so set on bicking my hair to keep the girls away for the next 2 months of re-studying...haha. It'd be nice to get a higher score, but not worth the stress of a retake here.

My heart definitely goes out to those who have to take or retake this SOB.

It's been said before, but the general gist is that the real MCAT is a bit harder than the practice tests but they curve it more leniently so you end up with a score near your average. I got thrown way out of groove by the physical sciences section with all the calculations they required and had to guess the last few questions, but I still scored right at my average for that section.

You will feel anxious about your scores, but chances are they will be around your AAMC average.

there are a bunch of idiots on these forum that think they are the ****. You guys are all bunch of ignorant bastards who won't get anywhere in life with your competitive and putting down of other applicants behaviors. I hope I can see the ones that replied to my post in the interviews so I can spit on ur faces. I am done with this forum.

Chill out brotha...haha. I grew up being told I would never succeed at anything. I might not have, but it was their negative comments that have really made me push myself to my limits. If you let them get in your head you may limit your true potential. You seem to have a stellar app though, GL and I'll be rooting for you. I don't really want someone to spit in my face, that'd kinda suck. Especially from someone who is pursuing medicine to make the world a better place. haha

Stop getting on the canadian's case

In canada, medical school is way more competitive

25% acceptance vs 40% (this stat means getting into any medical school)

not only that, most provincial med schools accept something like 150 from in province and ONLY 10 from out of province

There are STRICT MCAT CUTOFFS

Including the writing grade!

So it really is better in some cases to get a 10 10 11 then a 15 15 10

Its ridiculous but its canada

also, if you got a 45 N in canada

schools would actually toss out your app

strict!--- hes probably not lying

I'm heading up to Davis and SF in the next few weeks if you want to save on shipping costs.

BR (CH,PH,OCH) *NEW
EK BIS 1001 *NEW
EK CH 1001 *NEW
EK PHY 1001 *NEW
EK VR 101 *USED (some writing, all pencil)
EK BIS *NEW
EK VR *USED (some writing, some pen & pencil)
Hyperlearning Scince Workbook *NEW (back cover has a small cut on it)

This material speaks for itself, so Make an offer.

I also have Kaplan Course Materials if anyone is interested - This is what I used. When I thought I might not have done so well I went out and bought the best Prep material money can buy, hince all the new material above. haha. Sucks, but I wanted to be ready for a retake by July if I had to be, since I'm appying right now.

Wow, relax. Pardon me for being realistic about my situation. I should seek help? Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just guessing that you don't understand how it works in Canada (particularly Ontario).

There are only 5 medical schools that I can realistically apply to In-Province. Of those 5, three are extremely GPA heavy. In other words, they have GPA medians of about 3.9+. I am not really that close to such a GPA. The other two schools are MCAT heavy. They require roughly a 3.75 GPA for your last two years, but they have extremely rigid MCAT cut-offs. One school had cutoffs this year of 9, 9, 9, R, while the second school had cut-offs of 9PS, 10VR, 11BS, Q. If you do not make ALL of the cut-offs at a school, you do not get an interview. Period. If you DO make all of the cut-offs (GPA and MCAT), then you are granted an interview, but your GPA and MCAT score do not factor into the final evaluation. What that means is that it does not matter how high you score on the MCAT or how high your GPA is, as long as you meet the minimum. In their eyes, my 39 is equivalent to someone else's 30. My overall score, my percentile, etc. - all of that couldn't mean less to them.

If I proceed with my current score, I would be given an interview at the first school I mentioned, but likely not the second (Granted, cut-offs may change, but given the increased level of competition, they are likely to go up rather than down). That school interviewed 650 students this year for 100 spots. Not exactly the best odds. They also have preference for students in that region, which I am not. Would you put all your eggs into one such basket?

I am not asking for your sympathy. I am not being full of myself. I am simply being realistic (contrary to what you believe). I have looked through this year's MSAR, and unlike what you say, there are not 100 schools where I would be "beyond competitive". There are roughly 30 schools that take a decent number of international students (not necessarily those studying internationally), most of which are private. I also don't think that I could afford the $60,000+ a year that it costs an international student (even after loans, with no option of scholarships or in-state residency) as well as the hassles associated with getting sponsorship for visas, etc.

Hopefully that should give you some insight into why I have to re-take this exam. I apologize if you were offended by my comments, but to be quite honest, I still stand by what I said. This is not a position that I wanted to be in. I am complaining about re-writing after achieving a score that does not really help me. I'm sure that I am not the first to do so.

HEY FRIEND,

UBC actually does weigh the MCAT much more heavily than other schools in Canada---as far as the advisor says----and believe it or not

Last year, the highest accepted score was 38 (I think its just a product of being in Canada---less applicants less total number of impressive scores)

So, that 39 COULD REALLY STAND OUT

I would give it a shot

I'm rooting for you

HOPEFULLY YOU GET IN WHERE YOU TRULY WANT TO GO, However, know that you have a great shot out of province at UBC regardless of what people say!

For me--one of the most difficult obstacles to a competitive med app was the MCAT. It took me 3 tries to get something decent. I was reading through many of your guys' results and must say I am overly impressed by such high percentiles! Good job guys :thumbup:
And to those of you who have earnest concerns about retaking the test--do not do so out of feeling subpar in comparison to some of these 34+ test takers! And make sure that if you do retake, that you have the motivation to get through the studying all over again (it's as terrible as it sounds)! But with the right attitude and diligence, improvements can be made!

For me--one of the most difficult obstacles to a competitive med app was the MCAT. It took me 3 tries to get something decent. I was reading through many of your guys' results and must say I am overly impressed by such high percentiles! Good job guys :thumbup:
And to those of you who have earnest concerns about retaking the test--do not do so out of feeling subpar in comparison to some of these 34+ test takers! And make sure that if you do retake, that you have the motivation to get through the studying all over again (it's as terrible as it sounds)! But with the right attitude and diligence, improvements can be made!

I did it 3 times. I studied everything again. My practice test avg was up 5-6 pts higher this year. I ended up with the same score but different distribution. It was the PS. My real score was 4-5 pts lower than my aamc. I'm still shocked. I am done with this test no matter what tho. Never again.

Has anyone ever considered paying for a rescore? I jus can't believe that 8 PS is accurate

Woah, hold on a second. I was not contrasting you with myself nor trying to put you down -- at all. Please reread my post. The purpose of my post was to simply suggest not citing your excuse to interviewers. The reason I suggest this is because they already understand your disadvantage. Instead I suggest listing all the ways your improving your English, like by reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please tone the hostility down a notch. I understand the frustration when people with really high scores are "upset", but the OP had a valid complaint with a particular school. Sure we'd kill for those numbers, but its not as great as it seems for him/her.

With that said, congrats on the continued good numbers!

Please tone the hostility down a notch. I understand the frustration when people with really high scores are "upset", but the OP had a valid complaint with a particular school. Sure we'd kill for those numbers, but its not as great as it seems for him/her.
garenbravo's frustration is a separate matter.. And I've edited my post so it's more calm. :)

Wow seems like that many of sdn'ers scored extremely high... expect less from you overachievers!

Hope the hostility calms down a bit as time goes by -

Congrats to everyone who scored beyond expectations :)

Like others in this thread, I thought that PS had sunk me (jeez, helicopter!).

5/3 Score: 41T
PS: 13
VR: 13
WS: T
BS: 15

Expectations (after leaving the exam):
Total: hoping for 35+, but not sure I hacked it, after PS

PS: Hoped, hoped I could top 10. Sheesh, was I demoralized!
VR: 13+ (but really hoped I could get 14 or 15)
WS: Who knows? I think I'm a good writer, but no great way to tell for sure if I'm doing what they want me to do before getting the real thing scored.
BS: 13-14 (Questions/passages were much more straightforward than PS)

AAMC practice tests:
I'm not sure how useful my averages are, since I started practice tests before I had completed content review, and generally improved the composite score on each one. Gave me a great feel for the actual test... except that BS was less convoluted on the real thing, and I felt betrayed by PS--which was almost a parody of itself on 5/2--so much slogging through crap to get anything.

Test #__Date__Scores
03__03/03/09__Comp:33,PS:11,VR:11,BS:11
10__03/30/09__Comp:34,PS:11,VR:11,BS:12
04__04/19/09__Comp:35,PS:12,VR:12,BS:11
05__04/21/09__Comp:36,PS:11,VR:12,BS:13
06__04/24/09__Comp:36,PS:11,VR:13,BS:12
08__04/28/09__Comp:38,PS:13,VR:13,BS:12

The absolute best thing about taking the AAMC practice tests was developing the ability to feel like I was getting absolutely pummeled during the test, but slog through anyway. I almost always got a better score than I thought I would during/immediately after the exam.

Semi-panic for me... But my 5/2 score was consistent with the trajectory of my performance on the AAMC practice exams. (I improved over the practice exams and seemed to peak at the right time.)

I didn't feel great about my chances after taking 5/2, I and a lot of others on this thread felt batted around by PS especially. (I'm convinced that VR is designed to feel awful, no matter how you do.) But I got a much better score on PS than I expected... yay for the scaling/curve thingie!

so i must say i was dissappointed in my scores but it was within my range..

my average on aamcs were about a 27..

I got a 26..

10 BS 10 PS 6 VR ( may 2nd, 2009) last time around I got a 22..with a 8PS and 8BS and 6 in VR...im not hapy wit th score but what can you do!!

im gonna go ahead and apply this cycle.. and see what happens..and worse comes to worse im going to medical school in 2010 whether it is the US or in the carribean..

this time aorund ireally did everything to study and prepare..im hopnig to get my app out by next tuesday!

best of luck to everyone this cycle, and i know that some of us didnt get what we wanted but i guess thats life..and we just have to deal with the failures and dissappointments..

but i wont ever give up. ever. =)

I got a 26..

10 BS 10 PS 6 VR ( may 2nd, 2009) last time around I got a 22..

Lotta' hard work went into that; nice going! ...a 5-point improvement is nothing to sneeze at. All the best! We're rooting for you.

I got a 26..

10 BS 10 PS 6 VR ( may 2nd, 2009) last time around I got a 22..with a 8PS and 8BS and 6 in VR...im not hapy wit th score but what can you do!!

im gonna go ahead and apply this cycle.. and see what happens..and worse comes to worse im going to medical school in 2010 whether it is the US or in the carribean..

this time aorund ireally did everything to study and prepare..im hopnig to get my app out by next tuesday!

best of luck to everyone this cycle, and i know that some of us didnt get what we wanted but i guess thats life..and we just have to deal with the failures and dissappointments..

I'm sorry to hear. You looked like your were working so hard. Please don't give up on that attitude. It will take you far. You're actually inspiring me to keep going:D

I can't say I'm happy about mine.

VR 9 / PS 10 / BS 11 N = 30N

It's a well distributed 30 with a tad higher on the bio. I really don't want to retake so I think I'm going with it. My cGPA/sGPA is 3.51/3.73 and I have two years work experience designing medical devices so I hope it will be enough for a good school.

I'm with rocketbooster. I've never felt better walking out of an MCAT. I had enough time and felt like I understood everything great. I own PS and basically majored in physics! I can't figure out what the heck happened!

Aw Simran, good to know that you're staying positive! I know you can do it!

And for Alvarez, don't be fooled by all the high scores posted here, I doubt they're the norm. I think you should be proud of yourself for getting that magic number. :}

Good luck to you both!

I got a 26..

Good for you. I have to say I will be rooting for you this application season. I wish more people had your attitude in life. Congratulations on a wonderful improvement, and good luck with the apps.

Simran, you and I are exactly in the same boat! I got almost the same first and second score as you. I wrote the May 2 mcat as well and read this thread every now and then. I have also decided to go for it this cycle and apply. Let's talk about this, so feel free to personal message me or I will send you one! We can do it!

congrats everyone on your scores =)

thanks guys! you guys are all so nice..=)

i am fianlly liking how my personal statement is turningo out!!

I hope we all get in this cycle..and we can all support each other through this process.

and obviosuly you all have my support =)

Awesome!

Congrats, especially on that VR.

Agreed babydoc, we should totally get it on now ;)

And let's leave our canadian friend alone, it's hard out here, a balanced 33 looks the same as a 39 (or 45) for them. Post-interview, MCAT plays no real part in most schools' rankings.

yeah english is my second language too
Me too. I'll take my 12VR though.

However, I don't think the VR section tests English skills as much as short term memory, mental juggling and extrapolation.

Med schools are starting to figure out that mere reliance on MCAT scores and GPA results in boatloads of applicants who are great students of science, but can't actually talk to people, work with patients, etc.

Simran, you're very inspirational,

your positivity and optimism have brightened my day, and I'm sure many other posters' as well...

congratulations on your 10 in BS and PS with that killer PS section, I'm sure that all your studying paid off...

i'm getting my scores in 19 days, and I'm really hoping for a significant improvement (I had a 26 last time)

but no matter what, I don't know if I'll be able to go through another MCAT, I think I'm just gonna apply this year, and see what happens

I need to start working on my application, but I wrote my personal statement last year when I thought I'd be applying, and tweaked it this year... so I guess the hardest part (of the primaries at least) is over...

What's your home state? I'm from NY, so it's gonna be tough... but I'm hoping we'll be low MCAT success stories, but if not, hope to have you as a study buddy in Grenada :D

I got a 26 last time too in may 2008, but i took it may 2nd, 2009 and got a 35. Keep ur hopes up. u can do it

I got a 30R on this exam-- to be honest, PS killed me. Breakdown 9PS 11VR 11BS R. Im hoping my lowish PS doesnt knock me out of the runnings :( My gpa is pretty average too, 3.6. Super happy to break a 30 on my first mcat though :)