Texas schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyBenny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding between these schools and can't seem to make the final decision...I keep going back and forth! So I guess I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were regarding applying for residencies, location of school, competitiveness, etc.

UTSW - my top choice coming into interview season. I know a couple of people here and they just say that it's not competitive but everyone is just so smart that you never really feel like you are in the top half of your class. Doesn't that affect residency apps? What's more important - prestige of school or ranking within your school? Oh yah and no block tests so you are always studying...

UTHSCSA - really like the city...everyone here seems very laidback, friendly, easy to talk to. People send out notes from reviews to the entire class so it seems like they all help each other out. Compared to UTSW, rankings are a bit lower though. Step scores aren't very high

UTH - loved TMC but concerned that we won't get that many opps as students just bc its the TMC! All my friends here seem to really not like it bc of the block tests.

A&M - close to Austin where my bf is. Didn't mind Temple. Seems like I would be really focused on just studying if I went there. Really friendly people!

Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty much making the same decision (minus A&M), and I keep going back and forth as well. They are all great schools with a lot to offer. Maybe it would help to visit the schools again?

I am going through the same thing. I worked on eliminating schools for specific reasons first.

Considering:
1) UTSW - my interview here is in january so haven't thought about it much yet.

2) UTH - really liked it. Block tests seem better to me, I prefer it to having a test every week and never feeling caught up. TMC is awesome and has enough hospitals that there is both an opportunity to see/watch almost anything as well as in the public hospital system to participate more.

3) UTHSCSA - also liked it. Facilities are a little old. Still on blocks though. Fairly similar to UTH imo.

For sure not attending:
4) TT: El Paso - as much as I really like this school and think it will really be going places in the next 10 years I'm just too nervous about attending such a new school. Also El Paso is just so far away from everything...)

5) UTMB - hate the idea of capped honors grades and the second I heard about this it was off my list

6) Lubbock - No MPH option. Lubbock is meh. I don't really like being connected to the undergraduate campus.

7) A&M - didn't like the student/campus vibe at all. A lot of people really seem to like it though. I knew after about 30 minutes that I wouldn't be happy here. Heavy primary care emphasis. Not a big fan of the divided first two years and campuses with no professors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am deciding between these schools and can't seem to make the final decision...I keep going back and forth! So I guess I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were regarding applying for residencies, location of school, competitiveness, etc.

UTSW - my top choice coming into interview season. I know a couple of people here and they just say that it's not competitive but everyone is just so smart that you never really feel like you are in the top half of your class. Doesn't that affect residency apps? What's more important - prestige of school or ranking within your school? Oh yah and no block tests so you are always studying...

UTHSCSA - really like the city...everyone here seems very laidback, friendly, easy to talk to. People send out notes from reviews to the entire class so it seems like they all help each other out. Compared to UTSW, rankings are a bit lower though. Step scores aren't very high

UTH - loved TMC but concerned that we won't get that many opps as students just bc its the TMC! All my friends here seem to really not like it bc of the block tests.

A&M - close to Austin where my bf is. Didn't mind Temple. Seems like I would be really focused on just studying if I went there. Really friendly people!

Thoughts??

I highly value location. I am from Houston and go to UT-Austin. I love big cities. San Antonio and College Station are simply not large enough or not interesting enough for me. I wouldn't mind coming back home to Houston for medical school, and I don't know why you would be concerned about getting opportunities in the Texas Medical Center. However, I would love to experience a new city, and thus location-wise, UTSW wins for me. Furthermore, UTSW is exploding in size. They are building a new Parkland Hospital, a new teaching hospital, and area always constructing new research facilities.

For me, I don't like to worry too much about where I will place in a class ranking for residency. In fact, I want to be in an environment where I am not the best and smartest person in the class. That way, I can push and challenge myself to the max. I am just going to try my hardest wherever I go, and I am sure things will work out the way they are supposed to.

Those are just some of my thoughts. Feel free to ask me with any more questions/input.

Good luck with your decision!

I'm also torn between UTH and UTMB...someone please share your thoughts:confused:

jennybenny i feel like we might know each other

Status
Not open for further replies.