2023-2024 Texas Tech El Paso (Foster)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all! Any current medical students here who would be ok with me private messaging them with questions? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! Any current medical students here who would be ok with me private messaging them with questions? Thank you so much!
Feel free to DM me as well.

Congratulations to everyone that pre-matched!!! That's a huge accomplishment. For those that didn't pre-match, keep your chin up! Not everyone receives a pre-match. Most of my friends (myself included) didn't pre-match and a good chunk of us were waitlist acceptances and now were all rocking it in med school and it truly doesn't make a difference and no one is ever going to ask.

Also, anyone else with questions about the school or living in El Paso please reach out!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an ii! Complete 10/3 LM 69.1

First MD interview. I’m literally shaking 🥹

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I am invited to tour EL Paso as a post-interviewed applicant on 11/14. It is an 11-hour drive from where I am. Would it be worth it to book a flight and hotel room to tour, or should I just wait for an acceptance/update from this school before spending more money on transportation?

Reactions: 1 user
I am invited to tour EL Paso as a post-interviewed applicant on 11/14. It is an 11-hour drive from where I am. Would it be worth it to book a flight and hotel room to tour, or should I just wait for an acceptance/update from this school before spending more money on transportation?
I'm in a similar situation. Does anyone know if this factors into admissions at all?

I'm in a similar situation. Does anyone know if this factors into admissions at all?
It does not. If you have never been to the city a school is in and are trying to decide between offers I think that is the situation it can help you out the most

Pre-match! interviewed 10/19 :) this is my first offer so far this cycle, im so happy

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Pre matched just now!!! Cried bc IM GONNA BE A DR!!!

Reactions: 10 users
Pre-matched just right now!! Interviewed 08/17, my top choice! 🥹🥹 best day ever!

• Love
For those who have prematched, have y'all completed the tour yet? Because I wonder if acceptance has a relation with the tour

Last edited:
I didn't tour either and I prematched (interviewed on 8/17)!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if scholarship offers are typically included with prematch offers? I called one school and they told me they don’t offer scholarships until after Match day.

Does anyone know if scholarship offers are typically included with prematch offers? I called one school and they told me they don’t offer scholarships until after Match day.
Many schools wait until after match day
Also you should know that merit scholarships are much, much less common for med school than for college. Most med students pay with federal loans or family contributions

Reactions: 2 users
Many schools wait until after match day
Also you should know that merit scholarships are much, much less common for med school than for college. Most med students pay with federal loans or family contributions

Thanks for clarification wysdoc!

This is an appeal to applicants who have taken Casper for admission to Foster/Texas Tech El Paso University SOM.

Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.

HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.

Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.

Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.

Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.

Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!

Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!

Got the tour invite today. Does anyone know if the campus preview is factored into admissions at all?

Does everyone get a secondary? I just got it and am trying to decide if it's worth completing this late. Would be thrilled to go here but don't want to waste my money either on the secondary lol

I am no pro, but I would do it. I met a medical student at an interview at another school this cycle who said she submitted hers last minute of the last day literally before 5pm, she got an interview late, and got an acceptance shortly after that. Anything is possible. It also depends on how you've done so far in the cycle and if you're already happy with what you have so far. No one can guarantee anything, but personally I never see secondary app money wasted because then at least I know I tried, and unless I try, I will never know what actually comes out of it. I have had at least 2 apps this cycle that I was filling out thinking nothing was going to come out of it, but I was pleasantly surprised (one was a prematch, and another one was an interview with a school that I was for sure wasn't going to give me the time of day but they did). Just my two cents. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 4 users
I am no pro, but I would do it. I met a medical student at an interview at another school this cycle who said she submitted hers last minute of the last day literally before 5pm, she got an interview late, and got an acceptance shortly after that. Anything is possible. It also depends on how you've done so far in the cycle and if you're already happy with what you have so far. No one can guarantee anything, but personally I never see secondary app money wasted because then at least I know I tried, and unless I try, I will never know what actually comes out of it. I have had at least 2 apps this cycle that I was filling out thinking nothing was going to come out of it, but I was pleasantly surprised (one was a prematch, and another one was an interview with a school that I was for sure wasn't going to give me the time of day but they did). Just my two cents. Good luck! :)
thank you so much for your thoughtful response!! I'll do the secondary today after my exam. :)

Can someone give me a little more info on the format of the MMI at this school? Are we allowed to know how many stations there will be?

Prematched today 11/17!! Interviewed 11/9!

Got the A today at 8am! App complete on 8/15, II on 10/30, interviewed 11/9.

Reactions: 6 users
Are there gonna be more interviews for this cycle at this school?

Good luck to everyone interviewing in the morning!! Don’t forget that you deserve this and what led you here!!

Last edited:
Wait someone check my math

If the interview starts at 8:30 MST is that 7:30 or 9:30 CST

Was accepted 11/3. IS LM 81. Does anyone know if they do merit based scholarships/when that info comes out?

I doubt they will top what you were already awarded elsewhere!
I would be curious how El Paso tops a full ride from a top 25 under any circumstances but inquiring minds want to keep an open mind. :)

Finished my interview here just a bit ago. Can’t decide how I feel about it. Interviewers themselves were great but the people running it were a little snappy at a few students after they informed them 2 of their MS4s didn’t show up for the interviews.

Not sure if anyone else had the same experience.

Finished my interview here just a bit ago. Can’t decide how I feel about it. Interviewers themselves were great but the people running it were a little snappy at a few students after they informed them 2 of their MS4s didn’t show up for the interviews.

Not sure if anyone else had the same experience.
sheesh what's the interviewing student supposed to do if their med student flakes out and doesn't show up to interview them?

sheesh what's the interviewing student supposed to do if their med student flakes out and doesn't show up to interview them?
Popped into their “technical difficulties room” after the MMIs were over and the students informed them and their response was “we’ll send you a redo link just open your email” with no apology or explanation or anything. Just felt weird

I am sure I am just being paranoid and neurotic, but does it mean anything if I have gotten like almost 2 secondary email reminders a day from them for the past several weeks to complete the secondary? I just got an email saying they extended the deadline to the 15th of December instead of today. Is it worth submitting the secondary? This gets sent to everyone probably and should not think anything of it right?

Do you guys think there will be any more prematches sent out before match day? According to past threads, people stopped reporting prematches mid to late November.
SDN is honestly not the best in reporting every prematch/II wave. @wysdoc counts what they can but unfortunately not every applicant is on SDN