Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just found this website and I will be attending Texas A&M too! I look forward to meeting everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm looking at USUHS but this will probably be my secondary.

Proudest member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2011, AAAAA, so I've got a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone thinking about working next year, or do any of the current med students have any advice about working?

I currently work as an MCAT instructor in CS, and you can't really beat the pay rate... $25-$50 per hour. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my job and drive to CS from Temple one night a week next year to teach for 4 hours, which would earn me up to $200 per week.

I'm also a Pharmacy Technician, so my other option is trying to see if I can get a job at CVS or Walgreens to work a shift or two over the weekend.

Anyone else thinking of working?

Is anyone thinking about working next year, or do any of the current med students have any advice about working?

I currently work as an MCAT instructor in CS, and you can't really beat the pay rate... $25-$50 per hour. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my job and drive to CS from Temple one night a week next year to teach for 4 hours, which would earn me up to $200 per week.

I'm also a Pharmacy Technician, so my other option is trying to see if I can get a job at CVS or Walgreens to work a shift or two over the weekend.

No way

Okay.

So I know we have to get a Tablet PC, the White Coat (yes, capitalized), and lots and lots of books... is there anything else we should be looking into buying? I read on a different website someone recommending to buy a stethoscope...? I've got a birthday coming up so I figure I could list useful items as gifts to those who feel inclined to get me something (i.e. my mother). Haha...

Thanks and Gig 'Em!

Okay.

So I know we have to get a Tablet PC, the White Coat (yes, capitalized), and lots and lots of books... is there anything else we should be looking into buying? I read on a different website someone recommending to buy a stethoscope...? I've got a birthday coming up so I figure I could list useful items as gifts to those who feel inclined to get me something (i.e. my mother). Haha...

Thanks and Gig 'Em!

My understanding as a not-yet-applicant: the tablet and the books are "requirements" that aren't really requirements. Leave it to a current A&M student to correct or confirm this.

Okay.

Thanks and Gig 'Em!

I, too, have heard that books are not as necessary as one might think - all the syllabi are on-line, and the "mandatory" books are available in the resource center.

Also, they are pretty specific about the tablet pc's they want us to get (if they actually REQUIRE them), so until we get the specifics, I'm holding off on that.

A stethoscope would be a good thing. I got mine as a door prize at UTMB - it's the only thing I got from them! I haven't even gotten a rejection letter!!

My birthday is the Tuesday before orientation starts, so I'm hoping to have a nice party!!:hardy:

I've also heard that anything anatomy by Netter's is worth having.

I, too, have heard that books are not as necessary as one might think - all the syllabi are on-line, and the "mandatory" books are available in the resource center.

Also, they are pretty specific about the tablet pc's they want us to get (if they actually REQUIRE them), so until we get the specifics, I'm holding off on that.

A stethoscope would be a good thing. I got mine as a door prize at UTMB - it's the only thing I got from them! I haven't even gotten a rejection letter!!

My birthday is the Tuesday before orientation starts, so I'm hoping to have a nice party!!:hardy:

I've also heard that anything anatomy by Netter's is worth having.

I'll probably end up buying the books (or most of them) anyway... I'm a textbook kind of person.

Also: "no way!" regarding the tablet PCs... I've heard bad things about the ones they "recommended" for last year's class and did my own research as to which tablet I wanted to get. I hope they just say "buy a tablet," and don't specify which brand (etc) that we have to get...

My dad is a nurse anesthetist and has a Littmann Cardiology stethoscope that he is willing to part with, so that will hopefully save me $200... ;) You definitely lucked out on the UTMB door prize!

As far as working in med school....depending on your goals and need of free time you can probably handle it. It will be most difficult the first semester. Just be sure whoever you work for can be flexible because you will have a test every week until Thanksgiving.

Stethescopes are a good idea, but if you are spending the money then be sure to get a good one. It will last you for a long time. Don't buy any books, other supplies, etc. until you get here. No matter how many times myself or my classmates tell you not to buy books, it's inevitable most of you will still buy them. If you absolutely need a book right now, BRS Biochemistry...but don't touch it until July 28th.

I should also let you know about your special opportunity of buying discount dissection kits during orientation week. The Class of 2011 is graciously offering kits at 1/2 of the retail price. Spread the word to your classmates...

My opinion on laptops is similar to many of my classmates...get one, but don't buy it through the school. Tablets are worth the extra money in my opinion.

It's hard for me comment on whether or not you can handle a job during school year because it's hard to predict the amount of studying you'll need to do. My instinct says no. At the least, don't walk in on day one with a job; give yourself a few weeks to decide if you can make it work or not.You might be fine, but I would err on the side of caution. Also, most tests for us were on Mondays, so taking weekend shifts would might really stink.

I have some questions for the current medical students:

Are there any statistics about the percentage of students who are accepted into one of their top three residency choices?

During the third year, is there any time for elective rotations?

I've heard about the Brain & Spine Institute in CS, and it seems pretty nice since I am interested in neurology. Do students have the opportunity to do any sort of shadowing or rotations there at all?

I'd appreciate any information you could give me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any statistics about the percentage of students who are accepted into one of their top three residency choices?

None that I know of. We have a good reputation with residency programs (unlike with pre-medical students), so it's nothing to worry about.

During the third year, is there any time for elective rotations?

You get to pick 1 or 2 specialty weeks within your core rotations. Any other kind of elective is in the 4th year.

I've heard about the Brain & Spine Institute in CS, and it seems pretty nice since I am interested in neurology. Do students have the opportunity to do any sort of shadowing or rotations there at all?

Yes, all the time. The neurosurgeons and neurologists are very involved with the cirriculum. They are always open to students coming in. It is also one of the popular places to do summer research. 4 of my classmates are working with the neurosurgeons this summer.

My opinion on laptops is similar to many of my classmates...get one, but don't buy it through the school. Tablets are worth the extra money in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. I've had a tablet for the last 4 years now and I can't think of any other piece of school equipment that has been more useful to me.

Also I just went and spoke to the IT department for the COM, and they said they will have tablet recommendations out within a month. However, you can buy whatever tablet you wish. They're just throwing out their recommendations based off Texas A&M's business relationships with the manufacturers as well as opinions of past students and themselves.

I asked them, "Why are you not going with "X" brand?", to which they replied it was simply because "X" brand didn't have any educational discounts that Gateway (the brand they are recommending) does. If you wait the extra month for them to have an official recommendation, you will be able to buy the tablet through Texas A&M at a discounted price - or so they told me. Personally, I'm still not sure which brand/model I'm going with. When I find out, I'll post it on here though.

~Mat

Does anyone know if there is any sort of deposit required before May 15th? I know most schools require a $100 deposit before this date, but I couldn't find anything about this in my acceptance packet.

Does anyone know if there is any sort of deposit required before May 15th? I know most schools require a $100 deposit before this date, but I couldn't find anything about this in my acceptance packet.

There is not.

Mullie - do you know of anyone that did research in radiology?

Mullie - do you know of anyone that did research in radiology?

No one in my class or the year above me. There are opportunities to do research in any area you want, but you have to search them out. The people who end up with the best research experience are those who create their own opportunities and take iniative. There are some cool interventional radiology studies going on at S&W too.

Any recent acceptance letters for ppl on the waiting list.. i still havent given up hope on A&M.. hopefully they'll come through..

Any recent acceptance letters for ppl on the waiting list.. i still havent given up hope on A&M.. hopefully they'll come through..

The current number is 139 and I know they are shooting for 135...so I don't think anyone has been accepted off the waitlist yet. I do know about 10 of those people have not submitted any of their paperwork, so they may not be coming to A&M. If there is any, expect waitlist movement at the end of May and early June.

does aTm push universal healthcare?

can you down lectures and watch them online?

does aTm push universal healthcare?

I don't know what you're getting at, so I can't answer this question directly. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions concerning healthcare in this country, and there is a diversity of opinion with in the student body.

can you down lectures and watch them online?

Yes. Lectures are available via the "interweb".

I don't know what you're getting at, so I can't answer this question directly. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions concerning healthcare in this country, and there is a diversity of opinion with in the student body.

There are just a lot of threads in general allopathic talking about schools really "pushing" universal healthcare...I assume that are saying that many of the profs lace in pluses about universal healthcare often

There are just a lot of threads in general allopathic talking about schools really "pushing" universal healthcare...I assume that are saying that many of the profs lace in pluses about universal healthcare often

Most academic MDs support universal healthcare. Those who don't usually don't vocalize it.

Then No. We had one lecture in our humanities class from a physician who was a proponent of universal healthcare and that was pretty much it. I think they do a pretty good job in the ethics and leadership courses of letting people make up their own mind on these sorts of issues.

should be getting an e-mail or some info about the tablet pcs in the next or two

I'm going to be an Aggie Doc!!! I just got in! Any suggestions on where to live?

I'm going to be an Aggie Doc!!! I just got in! Any suggestions on where to live?

There's actually lots of information in the Facebook group and in the Yahoo group. Good luck!

does anyone know anything about when we are getting our financial aid award letters????

Congrats lilmuck! Where are you going to live?

Thanks Sean....I have no idea where I am going to live. There is an undergrad leaving and has offered me a house for $475. It sounds ok, but I really don't want to be in a party neighborhood. I also looked at The warehouse and I liked it, but I think I am just going to make a road trip and scope things out. What about you? Don't you already live there?

What are you guys planning to do/ have already done about health insurance?

I think I am going to go with blue cross and blue shield for me and the wife. A&M's plan is terrible -- that's what i hear

Thanks for the info Mullie. I have another question....I am driving to CS this weekend to look at housing. Are there any areas that are good for grad students as opposed to undergrads? Or, it is all the same?

Mullie, Peffer, or anyone else who knows about Bryan/CS real estate:

Where are some nice, newer neighborhoods that are within 15 minutes of campus?

Thanks for the info Mullie. I have another question....I am driving to CS this weekend to look at housing. Are there any areas that are good for grad students as opposed to undergrads? Or, it is all the same?

Anywhere you go there will be undergrads, but some have more grad students that others. Most people say Royal Oaks or Presidio. I would also say Country Place if youre looking fr cheaper. All are an easy drive to school and very quiet.

JMPeffer can probably comment more on houses, but I know there are some nice duplexes that are close. Nice and cheap houses are typically further away in south College Station, but everything is within 15 minutes.

I was not happy at all with the tablets that they are offering. I am leaning towards getting the hp tablet. I saw one at circuit city and I really liked it. The price is not bad either.

Mullie, Peffer, or anyone else who knows about Bryan/CS real estate:

Where are some nice, newer neighborhoods that are within 15 minutes of campus?

There's a lot within fifteen minutes of campus. I've posted about this earlier in the thread. As far as brand new; there's a complex going up at ~the intersection of George Bush East and Holleman. Gateway Villas up on University behind the Home Depot shopping center looks nice. Also might want to look at Krenek Tap road off of Texas Avenue. THere's more if you want to PM me.

Other than that- lots of neighborhood on the Southside of town. Some are more family oriented.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the whole tablet thing? If you haven't seen it, the recommendations are here: http://www.tamhsc.edu/information-technology/campuses/com/tablet-com.html

They range from about $1800-$2200, but the Gateways are available on ebay for MUCH less, without a warranty.

The school offered a Toshiba last year and I have had no problems with it. That being said, most everyone else has had problems with theirs. Two things to keep in mind...

1) All the tablets are pretty much the same....so go for the cheapest within specifications
2) No matter which one you have, you will likely have problems....this means you need the warranty

I have some questions about the tablets.
1) What specific things does A&M use the tablets for that can't be accomplished with any other laptop (besides writing on notes and pdfs)? Are there some types of software that are used a lot in class that can't be used on a Mac?
2) For those who really enjoy their Tablets, why do you like them so much? Is it because you can write on your notes? It seems to me as if that is the main reason we are required to get these computers, but I'm not the type of person who can study off my computer; I will probably print off my notes and write directly on them.
3) What computer software is utilized for learning (i.e. some type of video software for class, anatomy software)?
My concern is that I'm being forced into buying a piece of equipment that I really am not going to get along with very well and doesn't really benefit me as much as it might other students. I would like to have my Mac and get Parallels with Windows so that I can run any software we might need for school that is Windows based instead of investing in a Tablet. Also, it concerns me how much people talk about having problems with their tablets.
4) I hear we have to turn our computers into OIT in order for us to use the network at school and for them to add software. If I were to give them a Mac, does anyone know if they wouldn't allow me to use that computer or not set it up to access the network at school?
I've tried contacting OIT without any luck and I'm debating on whether to just try and use a Mac and just see what happens - any ideas whether that's a good or bad idea?
5) Finally, does anyone know how we are supposed to pay for the tablets? I know there is some amount of money budgeted for computers in our financial aid, but we don't get that until the end of July and we'll have to buy the computer before then, so I didn't know if we get reimbursed or if there is a special process.

Thanks for the input and sorry it's so long!

Quick question: is the orientation/white coat ceremony in the same place for both Temple and College Station groups, or is it separate?

Quick question: is the orientation/white coat ceremony in the same place for both Temple and College Station groups, or is it separate?

It's in College Station, at 10am on August 2 for both groups. If only it were in different places, or at 2pm, or something else...my life would be so much less complicated, as I have a major conflict that morning. Such is just the beginning of our lives for the next four years!

My concern is that I'm being forced into buying a piece of equipment that I really am not going to get along with very well and doesn't really benefit me as much as it might other students.

This is exactly right. We do not use any program or software that can't be done with a Mac, or even a standard PC. I like mine because I study the notes I write from my computer and the clipping tool for pulling pictures from the live lecture feed. There are also some badass freeware games made much easier with the $2000 tablet pen feature.:)

It's in College Station, at 10am on August 2 for both groups. If only it were in different places, or at 2pm, or something else...my life would be so much less complicated, as I have a major conflict that morning. Such is just the beginning of our lives for the next four years!

I think it would be difficult to do a ceremony via teleconference, especially one of this magnitude. There are only 35 in the Temple class, so its easy for them to inconvenience you. If it makes you feel better, the ceremony is a neat experience and I don't think you will regret coming. Also, all of your orientation will be in Temple this year, a luxury the class in front of you did not have.