Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No on the 2nd packet.

Are the days during orientaion full days, like 8-5 or just mornings or afternoons?

Thanks.

Some of the days are full, some are not...expect to be busy though. The last couple of days of orientation are actually lecture days with testable material. It's not too difficult, but just be aware.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info Mullie

Haven't seen you on TexAgs in awhile, have you actually been paying attention in class?

Are such things as orientation, the White Coat ceremony, etc. held in both Temple and College Station, or do they try to get everyone together for such things? How often do the Temple people have to travel to College Station for things (or vice versa)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info Mullie

Haven't seen you on TexAgs in awhile, have you actually been paying attention in class?

We discovered online scrabble. If you think medical students are competitive, just wait until you see them play board games.

Are such things as orientation, the White Coat ceremony, etc. held in both Temple and College Station, or do they try to get everyone together for such things? How often do the Temple people have to travel to College Station for things (or vice versa)?

White Coat and one day of orientation are in College Station. The two campuses have only come together a few times this year, but most of the time transportation is provided. If you are on class council, you will go a couple more times.

White Coat and one day of orientation are in College Station.

Just a note, this is what was done last year, so it's all we have to go off of. Don't be suprised if it's a little different this July as the administration alters events as they learn. For all we know, they're going to webcast the white coat ceremony to Temple:hardy:

Just a note, this is what was done last year, so it's all we have to go off of. Don't be suprised if it's a little different this July as the administration alters events as they learn. For all we know, they're going to webcast the white coat ceremony to Temple:hardy:

Truthfully, that would be just fine with me! As much as I am looking forward to it, and have been for such a long time, I already know that I have a MAJOR conflict with that day!

Oh, well, I'd better get used to it!

Hey all,

I'm waitlisted at A&M and I too am interested in looking at this year's match results for them whenever they become available.

choke1.jpg

everyone knows what I'm talking about

The Aggies weren't the only ones who blew it....[cough]referees[cough]

This was the final shot to tie the game...

foul.jpg

That fool Love got away with murder in the paint, too. Ridiculous. Yeah we got a lot of calls our way, but they really blew the ones that mattered.

By the way, is the first day of orientation in College Station?

By the way, is the first day of orientation in College Station?

It's at your home site. Near the end of the week you will do the ropes course with the class in College Station, but that's the only day everyone will be in College Station. The Dean's Dinner is the same night at the ropes course, so most stayed in town for that.

Keep in mind what JMPeffer said...this is they way it was for us and it may not be the same. If they change anything it will probably be that the Temple students only have to be in College Station for White Coat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Rachel a few weeks ago and she told me that the white coat was in College Station and orientation was at your home site. Hope that helps.

A compiled match list does not exist yet, but I found out we had 4 match into orthopedic surgery for the second year in a row. This class and last years class have just over 70 people each, so this is a really high number for a very competitive specialty.

Second packets are being sent out tomorrow.

could you ask about neurology as well? :)

Interesting that almost 70% of the class did some kind of primary care (if you count ER and Meds/Peds as primary care).

Is primary care pushed over specialization? I didn't necessarily pick up on such a vibe at the interview.

Interesting that almost 70% of the class did some kind of primary care (if you count ER and Meds/Peds as primary care).

Is primary care pushed over specialization? I didn't necessarily pick up on such a vibe at the interview.

I wouldn't say it's pushed, but it's definitely thought of as on equal ground with specialties. We have an incredible Family Medicine department in CS, so I think our match numbers reflect their influence.

Mullie do clubs sell clothing and other merch that is different form what we recevied in the packet? (I sure hope so!)

Also why can't we order the 2011 fundraiser shirt in maroon??? :thumbdown:

Mullie do clubs sell clothing and other merch that is different form what we recevied in the packet? (I sure hope so!)

Also why can't we order the 2011 fundraiser shirt in maroon??? :thumbdown:

We would have to change the ink colors on the maroon shirt, and that costs money. By not changing anything we have no extra cost because this is our third order. Our new shirt in the fall will have a maroon option.

All the other organizations will sell shirts specific to their organization. Don't buy the stuff from the Dean's office...rip off.

Don't buy the stuff from the Dean's office...rip off.

Plus that stuff doesn't look that great either...

Glad to hear that clubs sell other merch...does anyone sell COM XXXX year shirts? Does a group still sell the window decals too? Also does all the merch have TAMHSC on it or does some just say things like Texas A&M Med School? (Hopefully the later)

Lastly...do you think I could go with the 2nd year that pulls for football tickets because I want to pull on the first deck, but I want to see what seats they are going to give us first...if they give us crappy ones on the first deck I will not pull early and just pull for every game like I did this year

Plus that stuff doesn't look that great either...

Glad to hear that clubs sell other merch...does anyone sell COM XXXX year shirts? Does a group still sell the window decals too? Also does all the merch have TAMHSC on it or does some just say things like Texas A&M Med School? (Hopefully the later)

Lastly...do you think I could go with the 2nd year that pulls for football tickets because I want to pull on the first deck, but I want to see what seats they are going to give us first...if they give us crappy ones on the first deck I will not pull early and just pull for every game like I did this year

The shirts at the beginning of the fall will have c/o 201X. We needed to raise money for Cadaver Ball this year, so this shirt allowed us to sell to a larger crowd. The MSC bookstore has window decals.

I agree that the "TAMHSC" is kinda lame, but that's the name of our school. You will no longer find any new merchandise with "Texas A&M College of Medicine". The only rule from our communications staff with fundraising is that the "HSC" or "Health Science Center" must always be included and be the same size as the rest of the school name.

We will figure out football tickets when you get here, but what you mentioned shouldn't be a problem.

Talking about residency, which is like so far from now that I can't believe I'm going to ask what I'm going to ask, would doing research on your desired specialty help? My goal is to go into dermatological immunology someday, what kind of strategies, from your (Mullie) or your acquaintances experience, were helpful in improving odds? I'm actually looking for potential labs to volunteer in for this summer, it's either take a summer class or work on a project, either way, I need to do something (college robbed me of a functional social life)

Talking about residency, which is like so far from now that I can't believe I'm going to ask what I'm going to ask, would doing research on your desired specialty help? My goal is to go into dermatological immunology someday, what kind of strategies, from your (Mullie) or your acquaintances experience, were helpful in improving odds? I'm actually looking for potential labs to volunteer in for this summer, it's either take a summer class or work on a project, either way, I need to do something (college robbed me of a functional social life)

You don't have to do research in that field, but be sure you can get a publication out of whatever you do. This would mean to stay away from basic science research and find something clinical. Don't take any classes.

In the end only 3 things will get you to dermatological immunology (which means first dermatology and then an immunology fellowship):
1) luck
2) 260+ on step 1
3) not attending A&M for medical school...:)

Howdy! I just discovered this thread even though I've been on SDN for a while...

I too am a member of the Class of 2012! I'll be in Temple for all 4 years! I'm so excited, like most of you I imagine.

Right now I'm trying to decide on a tablet pc and this weekend I'm going to Temple to look at apartment complexes. What are everyone's thoughts on the tablet pc's?

I can't wait to meet all of you!

Blair-

I have heard from IT guys that they are going to enforce the tablet pc rule more this year...they will be sending us the info about what ones we are suppose to get probably in the next packet, which is in May. Hope that helps.

Blair-

I have heard from IT guys that they are going to enforce the tablet pc rule more this year...they will be sending us the info about what ones we are suppose to get probably in the next packet, which is in May. Hope that helps.

Thanks brandnewsaves... I want all of the packets noooowww... I am impatient. ;)

Do you know when there will be any movement on the waitlist?

anyone know when students who have filled out every form and the fafsa can expect news about fin aid packages? is it possible to find this out before the may 15 deadline for picking a school?

does tamu traditionally give a good deal of need and merit based scholarship/grants?

ps - way to go lady ags, almost final four. wow the men got hosed by the refs.

Do you know when there will be any movement on the waitlist?

Somebody in the republic of texas forum said they got off the A&M waitlist on 3/31 so hopefully there is some increasing movement

anyone know when students who have filled out every form and the fafsa can expect news about fin aid packages? is it possible to find this out before the may 15 deadline for picking a school?

does tamu traditionally give a good deal of need and merit based scholarship/grants?

ps - way to go lady ags, almost final four. wow the men got hosed by the refs.

You decide on a school yet?

And I'm not buying a tablet. Seriously the one guy I know hasn't even used his. Lame.

You decide on a school yet?

And I'm not buying a tablet. Seriously the one guy I know hasn't even used his. Lame.

about 70% sure i'll be heading to california. still need to put the aid packages side by side to make a definitive decisions.

plus, i'm scared about not being a texan. i'm pretty sure that when they take your texas residency away, it hurts like a root canal.

about 70% sure i'll be heading to california. still need to put the aid packages side by side to make a definitive decisions.

plus, i'm scared about not being a texan. i'm pretty sure that when they take your texas residency away, it hurts like a root canal.

As far as I know, anyone getting any kind of scholarship, grant, etc. should already know. I don't think I got my financial aid packet until the beginning of June.

Does anyone know how many students are supposed to end up in the Temple 4 year program? I think I remember them saying about 35...

Does anyone know how many students are supposed to end up in the Temple 4 year program? I think I remember them saying about 35...

That is what I remember - 35 in Temple, 100 in College Station.

Just to let you guys know, I went to Temple yesterday (April 5th) to look at apartments. I took pictures and posted them onto the Class of 2012 Facebook group ( http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8380107810 ) and also into an album on my Facebook profile.

If you haven't joined that group already and you do have Facebook, join up! We only have 91 members so far, and I know there are more of you. :)

Just to let you guys know, I went to Temple yesterday (April 5th) to look at apartments. I took pictures and posted them onto the Class of 2012 Facebook group ( http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8380107810 ) and also into an album on my Facebook profile.

If you haven't joined that group already and you do have Facebook, join up! We only have 91 members so far, and I know there are more of you. :)

Some fairly nice-looking places there...

I'm sure this is buried somewhere in this thread, but how exactly do the locale splits go? You can do 4 in Temple, 2+2 CS/Temple, or...? Do you have absolute choice in this?

Mullie, do you know how many people are doing all 4 in CS?

Some fairly nice-looking places there...

I'm sure this is buried somewhere in this thread, but how exactly do the locale splits go? You can do 4 in Temple, 2+2 CS/Temple, or...? Do you have absolute choice in this?
exi,

You can express a preference (unless you get in off of the alternate list), but ultimately it is their decision.

In addition to the 2+2 and 4 yrs in Temple, you can also do all 4 years in College Station. Apparently if you do the first 2 in CS, there is some flex in whether you spend the last 2 in Temple or CS. I believe there will be 35 in Temple and 100 in CS, or somewhere close to that.

Hope this helps!

Mullie, do you know how many people are doing all 4 in CS?

I'm not sure how many people are completely set for 4 in CS, but it will change once you are here. Some people will decide they would rather stay while others will end up wanting to go to Temple. The only reason they tell you now is if you know you are dead set on being somewhere (to a buy a house, etc.).

And I think it's 80 in CS and 55 in Temple. 100 people in CS would make for a crammed lecture hall...

I'm not sure how many people are completely set for 4 in CS, but it will change once you are here. Some people will decide they would rather stay while others will end up wanting to go to Temple. The only reason they tell you now is if you know you are dead set on being somewhere (to a buy a house, etc.).

Well I ranked 2/2 first, but I got all 4 here in cs...but I am going to be staying here now no matter what, because we just bought a house

Well I ranked 2/2 first, but I got all 4 here in cs...but I am going to be staying here now no matter what, because we just bought a house

I think all 4 in CS will be really good. Lots of 1 on 1 interaction. Then you could still go to Temple for a rotation or two and get free housing.

I am trying to sell our couch and coffee table.
1. Couch is in great condition. Back left leg is a little shaky, probably fixable I'm just too lazy. It comes with five matching pillows. Great for naps. Asking $200.
2. Coffee table purchased about two years ago. Glass top is in perfect condition. Wood has a few very minor scratches here and there. Asking $75.

Willing to sell both for $250. Let me know if you want to come over and see them in person! I have a truck we can use to get it anywhere in the College Station area.

Thanks,
JMP

Attachments

• Table2.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Couch.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 133