Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your second two years won't really be decided until midway through you second year.

That is not very useful (on their part)...if I am staying in CS all 4 i'll probably buy a house...but if it is 2 here and 2 there...not really worth buying then...

Members don't see this ad.

That is not very useful (on their part)...if I am staying in CS all 4 i'll probably buy a house...but if it is 2 here and 2 there...not really worth buying then...

If you are assigned all 4 in CS, then you can probably stay all 4 in CS. My point is if this is not what you want, things can change between now and then. I assume you wanted all 4 in CS, but this applies to the others who did not get what they wanted.

My class does not know where we are spending our final 2 years, but our understanding is that we can go wherever we want.

Mullie, and any other CSers:

What are the really awesome apartments and such? Like, not just the ones aforementioned where people seem to like living there, but the really high-end places that get responses like, "Oh, you live at Mullie's House o' perfunctory prescription? WOW." I ask for future reference/comparison considering that I know nothing about the place besides the wonders that are Brevales.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just found this thread and the info is great. i'm a proud member of the aggie class of 2012 and will be doing the 2+2 plan. my name is saul and i'm from el paso, tx.

Mullie, and any other CSers:

What are the really awesome apartments and such? Like, not just the ones aforementioned where people seem to like living there, but the really high-end places that get responses like, "Oh, you live at Mullie's House o' perfunctory prescription? WOW." I ask for future reference/comparison considering that I know nothing about the place besides the wonders that are Brevales.

Presidio usually gets that response because it looks really nice. It's cheaper than expected because it's in Bryan. You will find that equivalent apartments are about $100 per month cheaper in Bryan when compared to CS. For those who don't know, the school is right at the Bryan/CS border.

The only other place that gets that kind of response is Callaway Villas. They are overpriced, undergraduate party apartments. Two guys in my class live there now and are moving in May.

I am doing 2+2 and plan on staying at Signature Park. It is only 4 miles from campus and I really liked the area. I was going to check out West University Gardens but ran into a medical student while at Presidio who advised me not to live there due to car break ins.

I am doing 2+2 and plan on staying at Signature Park. It is only 4 miles from campus and I really liked the area. I was going to check out West University Gardens but ran into a medical student while at Presidio who advised me not to live there due to car break ins.

Break-ins will occur anywhere. Presidio is actually one of the cheaper gated apartment complexes. Most everyone I know is happy there, but there will always be some bad reviews.

Signature Park is nice. I would also recommend this place.

sorry i should clarify that the break ins the student mentioned were at West University Gardens not Presidio. I really liked Presidio and it seemed very safe and I liked that it was gated. Do a lot of medical students stay in Signature Park? Also, when are the forms coming for the class of 2012 shirts that you mentioned earlier in the thread?

sorry i should clarify that the break ins the student mentioned were at West University Gardens not Presidio. I really liked Presidio and it seemed very safe and I liked that it was gated. Do a lot of medical students stay in Signature Park? Also, when are the forms coming for the class of 2012 shirts that you mentioned earlier in the thread?

I know exactly who you talked to at West University Gardens. Definitely not a safe place to live.

I can only think of one student at Signature Park. Most people don't know that living in Bryan is cheaper, and those who do live in Bryan live within 2 miles of the school. This is a great place, but you might hit "traffic" sometimes.

The shirt order forms are coming in your April packets. There was some concern that someone would order a shirt, then decide to attend another school. We also can't get them to you until July unless you want to pick them up from the school in May.

I know exactly who you talked to at West University Gardens. Definitely not a safe place to live.

I can only think of one student at Signature Park. Most people don't know that living in Bryan is cheaper, and those who do live in Bryan live within 2 miles of the school. This is a great place, but you might hit "traffic" sometimes.

The shirt order forms are coming in your April packets. There was some concern that someone would order a shirt, then decide to attend another school. We also can't get them to you until July unless you want to pick them up from the school in May.

Keep on plugging those shirts. At this rate, you're going to have one kick *** match day party...

Wow. I have to say, I'm loving every minute of this PWNage of tortilla tech college.

Yeah I think everyone in my family wants one of those shirts

Yeah I think everyone in my family wants one of those shirts

This is what they look like...but short sleeve and not long sleeve...
COLLEGE-MEDICINE102-2.jpg

:thumbup: or :thumbdown:???

We have already sold 250.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the shirts. Have yall thought of selling any maroon shirts or can we get those from some where else? Also, are we going to have a chance to buy a shirt that says class of 2012 on it. Good idea on selling two colors because I know I want both. One more question : is there somewhere on campus that sells other College of Medicine merchandise. I know i cant bring any of my UT stuff and was hoping for a college of medicine hoodie. i hope i did not ask too many questions.:)

On housing: If you're looking for super trendy, wow you live there, here's three places that'll rock your world:

Warehouse Apartments

http://www.warehouseapartments.com/

Always looked cool to me. Never been, don't know anyone who has. Very close to Medical school. Expensive.

Welling Court Condos

A row of 16 units. 2 bed 2.5 bath stucco townhomes off of Welsh (parallel to wellborn and Texas ave). Built in 2000's. Raised ceilings, alarm systems, attic, patio, some w/ fireplaces. Also expensive.

Random Duplexes

Way down on the Southside of town there are a few neighborhoods with lots of duplexes that are individually owned. Generally 3 bed/ 2 bath units. Bit of a drive compared to most places (maybe a 20 minute drive time as opposed to <10) but can be a little more inexpensive.

Off to dreamland:sleep:

I like the shirts. Have yall thought of selling any maroon shirts or can we get those from some where else? Also, are we going to have a chance to buy a shirt that says class of 2012 on it. Good idea on selling two colors because I know I want both. One more question : is there somewhere on campus that sells other College of Medicine merchandise. I know i cant bring any of my UT stuff and was hoping for a college of medicine hoodie. i hope i did not ask too many questions.:)

The only place that sells COM merchandise is the Dean's Office. You will also get an order form from them. Their similar short sleeve shirts are $16 (ours are $10), but they also have hoodies, etc.

Our design colors do not work with maroon shirts, but the Dean's office sells them...$$$

Your class will also make/sell a shirt at some point (probably in the Spring) and they might put 2012 on it. We decided not to so we could sell it to 2010, 2012 and faculty/staff.

I'll be doing 2+2 in the fall and so far I've narrowed down my prospective apartments (never seen any of them in person of course) to:

1. Walden Pond (nice greenery, no pics of interior, any bad news? http://www.apartmentfinder.com/details.aspx?aptid=108047)
2. Signature Park (transport/parking issue)
3. Presidio
4. Royal Oaks Gardens
5. ?

Does everyone know more or less where they'll be? Kinda want to neighbor with classmates :)

Last edited:
hey guys Marc here from TAMIU :D. I'll be doing 2+2 in the fall and so far I've narrowed down my prospective apartments (never seen any of them in person of course) to:

1. Walden Pond (nice greenery, no pics of interior, any bad news? http://www.apartmentfinder.com/details.aspx?aptid=108047)
2. Signature Park (transport/parking issue)
3. Presidio
4. Royal Oaks Gardens
5. ?

Does everyone know more or less where they'll be? Kinda want to neighbor with classmates :)

You might be disappointed with Walden Pond in person, so be sure to visit first. 2, 3, and 4 are your best bets.

I know I may be a bit early on this, but how does the parking situation work.

I know I may be a bit early on this, but how does the parking situation work.

CS:

Unfortunately most M1's have a long walk all year. By the time you are an M2 you will have moved up the waitlist for a better lot. However, lots are not assigned based on your medical student staus, but how long you have had a parking pass. So to have a chance at a good lot your second year, you must suffer through a bad lot your first year.

My advice would be to register for parking ASAP and rank your lot numbers in the following order:

1. 18
2. 114
3. 74
4. 100

Most of you will get 74. If you are a current A&M student, do not give up your pass and be sure to re-register before the July deadline with the above rank list. I did this and was lucky enough to get lot 18. I think passes are $240 for the year, so don't sign up unless you think you will use it.

The off-campus buses are really good and stop at most apartment complexes. You can also buy night/weekend passes pretty cheap.

CS:

Unfortunately most M1's have a long walk all year. By the time you are an M2 you will have moved up the waitlist for a better lot. However, lots are not assigned based on your medical student staus, but how long you have had a parking pass. So to have a chance at a good lot your second year, you must suffer through a bad lot your first year.

My advice would be to register for parking ASAP and rank your lot numbers in the following order:

1. 18
2. 114
3. 74
4. 100

Most of you will get 74. If you are a current A&M student, do not give up your pass and be sure to re-register before the July deadline with the above rank list. I did this and was lucky enough to get lot 18. I think passes are $240 for the year, so don't sign up unless you think you will use it.

The off-campus buses are really good and stop at most apartment complexes. You can also buy night/weekend passes pretty cheap.

I concur with the Mullster, and I advise purchasing a parking pass. I got 74 and it's about 6-8 minute walk to class. Only stinks if it's raining.

CS:

1. 18
2. 114
3. 74
4. 100

I currently have a 114 pass, I know lot 18 is closer, but I am under the impression that you cannot park there during football games, correct?

If that is the case, I might just keep my 114 because I am able to park for free in 114 during football games. It costs $10 to park in 114 if you do not have a pass during the games.

While we are on football...I know we get to pull early, but I am able to pull a seat for my wife who has an all sportspass too? If not, can you buy another med students sportspass who is not using it to get the reserved seats? Also how does early pulling work with guest tickets? Do we just decide at the beginning of the year what games we need guest tix for? When do we buy our sportspass and pull our tickets too? :D

I currently have a 114 pass, I know lot 18 is closer, but I am under the impression that you cannot park there during football games, correct?

If that is the case, I might just keep my 114 because I am able to park for free in 114 during football games. It costs $10 to park in 114 if you do not have a pass during the games.

You can still park in lot 18 for football games if you have a pass. As long as you don't get there right at game time because it fills up. I parked there every game with my pass.

While we are on football...I know we get to pull early, but I am able to pull a seat for my wife who has an all sportspass too? If not, can you buy another med students sportspass who is not using it to get the reserved seats? Also how does early pulling work with guest tickets? Do we just decide at the beginning of the year what games we need guest tix for? When do we buy our sportspass and pull our tickets too? :D

Anyone with a sports pass (wife, husband, friends, etc.) can pull with the medical student block. Any med student who wants a sports pass should be sure it is on there fee statement. In August one of the M2's will get everyones name and SID# and pull all the tickets in seperate class blocks. Anyone who wants there tickets early, but not with the student block can say so (their tickets aren't as good, but still better than what you get pulling every game...I think people who did this ended up row 10 on the 20 yd line). For guest tickets you can get one of the med students tickets who is not going to the game (very easy to find). We don't usually sit in our seats on the ticket, but we do stay within the seats of the block. I think we had 40 seats in the block and averaged about 4 people a game. Me and another guy were the only regulars. It's sad how little time M1's have...

You can still park in lot 18 for football games if you have a pass. As long as you don't get there right at game time because it fills up. I parked there every game with my pass.

Anyone with a sports pass (wife, husband, friends, etc.) can pull with the medical student block. Any med student who wants a sports pass should be sure it is on there fee statement. In August one of the M2's will get everyones name and SID# and pull all the tickets in seperate class blocks. Anyone who wants there tickets early, but not with the student block can say so (their tickets aren't as good, but still better than what you get pulling every game...I think people who did this ended up row 10 on the 20 yd line). For guest tickets you can get one of the med students tickets who is not going to the game (very easy to find). We don't usually sit in our seats on the ticket, but we do stay within the seats of the block. I think we had 40 seats in the block and averaged about 4 people a game. Me and another guy were the only regulars. It's sad how little time M1's have...

Thanks for the update on the parking, I will try to get lot 18 then, but if not I know I have 114. Does the block pull on the first deck or second deck? If it is the second deck, we will probably pull seperately. Is it possible to find out where your tickets would be before saying that you want them, because if they are going to the on the 20 on the first deck, I will just suck it up and go pull like everyone else on Senior day and be behind the band on the 1st deck near the 45....

The game I will need two guest tickets for will be TU (for '09)...so I am not sure people are just going to give up their tix for that game...may have to just do regular pulling that year...oh well...as long as we don't have any 8am classes there is plenty of time to pull before class

It's sad how little time M1's have...:laugh: I am positive there is time for football

Thanks for the update on the parking, I will try to get lot 18 then, but if not I know I have 114. Does the block pull on the first deck or second deck? If it is the second deck, we will probably pull seperately. Is it possible to find out where your tickets would be before saying that you want them, because if they are going to the on the 20 on the first deck, I will just suck it up and go pull like everyone else on Senior day and be behind the band on the 1st deck near the 45....

The game I will need two guest tickets for will be TU (for '09)...so I am not sure people are just going to give up their tix for that game...may have to just do regular pulling that year...oh well...as long as we don't have any 8am classes there is plenty of time to pull before class

It's sad how little time M1's have...:laugh: I am positive there is time for football

For me there is always time for football, but you definitely have to make the time when you have a test every Monday. The main block tickets were at the 45 row 15 for M1s. It's hard to beat that. You will be able to get someones ticket for any game, including tu in 09. We had 10 people there (out of 40). Some of them sold their tickets, but most gave them away.

For me there is always time for football, but you definitely have to make the time when you have a test every Monday. The main block tickets were at the 45 row 15 for M1s. It's hard to beat that. You will be able to get someones ticket for any game, including tu in 09. We had 10 people there (out of 40). Some of them sold their tickets, but most gave them away.

Good to know that it is easy to get tickets from others...were those setas on the first deck or second deck though???

Good to know that it is easy to get tickets from others...were those setas on the first deck or second deck though???

Sorry...everything I've mentioned is second deck. You probably know this, but first deck is terrible.

:laugh: squeeze army?

I actually like being able to watch the game without binoculars

I have sat on the second deck some, and don't mind the first five rows or so...but I think the best seats are near the back of the first deck...

Going back to the issue of parking... what about motorcycle parking? is there specific permits and lots designated for motorcycles?

Going back to the issue of parking... what about motorcycle parking? is there specific permits and lots designated for motorcycles?

There are motorcycle spots right outside the building. There is a seperate pass you have to buy, but I think it's cheaper. A guy in our class was easily able to get one.

I like having the tablet- I would say most people in our class do. We generally use a program called "OneNote" which has all sorts of cool features that help keep notes organized, being able to highlight/annotate things, search through folders, etc.

Does "OneNote" come on standard on the tablets? Can you get that program if you don't have a tablet? If you know, what does the person with a mac do?

Bump from 2nd page.

millionaire_idiot_fail.jpg

Does "OneNote" come on standard on the tablets? Can you get that program if you don't have a tablet? If you know, what does the person with a mac do?

1. I think it comes with Office, which you can purchase on campus for pretty cheap. 2. Yes Microsoft still loves our money. 3. Aside from doing weird Mac things, I don't know what he does.

Hi guys,

I'm glad I finally found this - it looks like I'll be part of the class of 2012 (ish, I'm MD-PhD).

Has anyone heard anything definite about the tablet PC's? Today on SDN was the first I've ever heard about this - I don't remember hearing anything or even seeing one at my interview, and I haven't received any information about it. I saw a few post back that someone said you didn't really need it... can any current students confirm this?

Sorry to be a little obsessed about the computers; I just bought a new Mac about 2 weeks ago, and I'm really not excited about potentially having to get something else :(

Hi guys,

I'm glad I finally found this - it looks like I'll be part of the class of 2012 (ish, I'm MD-PhD).

Has anyone heard anything definite about the tablet PC's? Today on SDN was the first I've ever heard about this - I don't remember hearing anything or even seeing one at my interview, and I haven't received any information about it. I saw a few post back that someone said you didn't really need it... can any current students confirm this?

Sorry to be a little obsessed about the computers; I just bought a new Mac about 2 weeks ago, and I'm really not excited about potentially having to get something else :(

The M1's are split on whether or not it's useful. I am part of the group that thinks it is good to have. Some do not use even use it. It was a requirement for us (not enforced), but it sounds like they might be more strict with your class. You will get a packet in April that includes tablet information.

So what kind of access to work-out facilities do the Temple students have?

So what kind of access to work-out facilities do the Temple students have?

None that I know of. They might have a discount to a gym. Some probably have facilities in their apartment complex.

Do the College Station students have full access to the things on main campus?

This is more of a question for the current medical students.

I have been accepted at both Penn State and Texas A&M, and I am trying to decide between the two schools. I really like both of them, and the only concern I have about A&M is the residency match results. Only 75 students are listed as matching in 2007, but I thought the class had about 100 students. Is it normal for only 75% of the class to match? Am I interpreting the results incorrectly?

Also, I have been considering neurology as a specialty, but it bothers me that there has only been 1 person to match to a neurology residency in the past 4 years at A&M. Does this have anything to do with the fact that the neurology rotation is not until the 4th year? I don't really know much about how the residency process works, so I would appreciate any information that you guys could give me.

Thanks! :)

This is more of a question for the current medical students.

I have been accepted at both Penn State and Texas A&M, and I am trying to decide between the two schools. I really like both of them, and the only concern I have about A&M is the residency match results. Only 75 students are listed as matching in 2007, but I thought the class had about 100 students. Is it normal for only 75% of the class to match? Am I interpreting the results incorrectly?

Also, I have been considering neurology as a specialty, but it bothers me that there has only been 1 person to match to a neurology residency in the past 4 years at A&M. Does this have anything to do with the fact that the neurology rotation is not until the 4th year? I don't really know much about how the residency process works, so I would appreciate any information that you guys could give me.

Thanks! :)

Good post. I don't think this has come up.

Before c/o2007 the class was about 60 people. They increased to about 80 for 2007 and it stayed around this number until my class (2011) because we expanded to new campuses. Our school usually has one or two who don't match, but it's usually their choice or their fault (like at every other school). Everyone who doesn't match will find a spot in the scramble, so it still goes down that you matched somewhere. I don't think you can find stats on any schools for 4th years who don't get into the schools they ranked for match and ultimately scrambled.

It should be noted that the match results you see are indicative of A&M's old attitude of pushing for primary care physicians. While this is still somewhat true, we are now just like all the other Texas schools in putting out doctors in every specialty. Stay tuned for the 2008 match results...I have heard really good things and I think you will be impressed.

As for for neurology matches, keep in mind how few people were in each class before you read into the match results. Most 200+ student schools only have a small number of neurology each year, so ours will be less in the past. I also don't think it has anything to do with having neuro in 4th year because a lot of schools do it this way.

While I'm on the subject of neuro, I think it's worth mentioning how much our Neuroscience department has grown in the last couple years. We are now affiliated with the Texas Brain and Spine Institue with top notch neurosurgeons and neurologists. With the current staff we have do not be surprised to see many more TAMCOM grads going to these fields.

Good post. I don't think this has come up.

Before c/o2007 the class was about 60 people. They increased to about 80 for 2007 and it stayed around this number until my class (2011) because we expanded to new campuses. Our school usually has one or two who don't match, but it's usually their choice or their fault (like at every other school). Everyone who doesn't match will find a spot in the scramble, so it still goes down that you matched somewhere. I don't think you can find stats on any schools for 4th years who don't get into the schools they ranked for match and ultimately scrambled.

It should be noted that the match results you see are indicative of A&M's old attitude of pushing for primary care physicians. While this is still somewhat true, we are now just like all the other Texas schools in putting out doctors in every specialty. Stay tuned for the 2008 match results...I have heard really good things and I think you will be impressed.

As for for neurology matches, keep in mind how few people were in each class before you read into the match results. Most 200+ student schools only have a small number of neurology each year, so ours will be less in the past. I also don't think it has anything to do with having neuro in 4th year because a lot of schools do it this way.

While I'm on the subject of neuro, I think it's worth mentioning how much our Neuroscience department has grown in the last couple years. We are now affiliated with the Texas Brain and Spine Institue with top notch neurosurgeons and neurologists. With the current staff we have do not be surprised to see many more TAMCOM grads going to these fields.

Thanks so much for all the information! When do the 2008 Match results come out and will I be able to view them?

Also, I have a completely unrelated question about housing. I am driving to College Station this weekend to look at apartments, and it seems like Presidio and Signature Park are the most highly recommended. Have you heard any opinions about those two places? Is it true that Presidio is in an unsafe area? I've also heard that some students live in Royal Oaks Gardens - do you know what students think of it?

Thanks so much for all the information! When do the 2008 Match results come out and will I be able to view them?

Friday. If they let us see them I will try to get them on here next week.

Also, I have a completely unrelated question about housing. I am driving to College Station this weekend to look at apartments, and it seems like Presidio and Signature Park are the most highly recommended. Have you heard any opinions about those two places? Is it true that Presidio is in an unsafe area? I've also heard that some students live in Royal Oaks Gardens - do you know what students think of it?

Many people live at both Presidio and Royal Oaks. The area across the street from Presidio is slightly unsafe, but Presidio is gated and no one has had problems. Signature Park is popular on here, but I don't know of anyone in my class who lives there. See the above posts for more info on these places.

Anyone get their 2nd packet yet? Mullie, know if they are close to sending them?

This thread has died pretty badly.

No on the 2nd packet.

Are the days during orientaion full days, like 8-5 or just mornings or afternoons?

Thanks.