Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,
What exactly is the white coat ceremony? Is it something that only students and faculty do?

Where can I get a book list...bio chem is what I'd like to find. I know, its really not necessary, but I'd like to none the less.

Members don't see this ad.

How many white coats do we really need to order?

I was not happy at all with the tablets that they are offering. I am leaning towards getting the hp tablet. I saw one at circuit city and I really liked it. The price is not bad either.

I bought the new HP Pavilion a couple months ago. Super portable, ultra lightweight, and the handwriting recognition is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

I had a couple concerns before I bought it. The first being the "echo" laser pattern. I didn't want a "girly" looking computer, but it is much more subtle than any of the pictures online suggest. Second, I'm not big on the shiney screens, but it doesn't really give me any trouble. Third, I wanted the bigger battery but it looked bulky. The extra battery life is very helpful and the shape of the larger battery actually helps to create better circulation for the air vent. My last concern was about a comment I read somewhere about a screen clarity issue (due to the touch screen) but I haven't noticed any such issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
What exactly is the white coat ceremony? Is it something that only students and faculty do?

Where can I get a book list...bio chem is what I'd like to find. I know, its really not necessary, but I'd like to none the less.

Students, faculty, parents, etc. will all attend. Think of it as your official kickoff into medicine. There will be a couple speakers and you will walk across the stage after the Dean puts on your white coat. It's a neat experience.

Here is your book list for Year I:

Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy

That's it. The book in Biochemistry will only make you do worse on the test. It's not even worth borrowing.

How many white coats do we really need to order?

One. If they would let us order less than one (share with a friend) I would do that. I can count on one hand the number of times I wore mine first year. Second year and beyond, however, is a different story...but you would still only need one.

Another quick question... I know A&M is really enthusiastic to get everyone to utilize the tablet pc for notes, but will the actual powerpoints be available before a given class so that we may print them out and take notes directly on the hard copies? Thanks!

Another quick question... I know A&M is really enthusiastic to get everyone to utilize the tablet pc for notes, but will the actual powerpoints be available before a given class so that we may print them out and take notes directly on the hard copies? Thanks!

Yes, 98% of the time.

Does anyone know how involved the radiology department is with research, and if they're receptive to med students? Just curious.

I also want to do rad research sean...let me know if you find anything out. Although you might have more options being up in temple for all four

Does anyone know how involved the radiology department is with research, and if they're receptive to med students? Just curious.

I actually talked to a guy in Radiology in Temple the other day who is part of a project I am working on. He was excited to do it and very nice, so I think if you took the initiative of approaching someone, it wouldn't be difficult to set up.

On that note I think anyone at Scott & White would be willing to work with you, but most of the time you will have to approach them first.

I actually talked to a guy in Radiology in Temple the other day who is part of a project I am working on. He was excited to do it and very nice, so I think if you took the initiative of approaching someone, it wouldn't be difficult to set up.

On that note I think anyone at Scott & White would be willing to work with you, but most of the time you will have to approach them first.

Awesome. Thanks!

Having submitted my TAMHSC secondary, and waiting on my May MCAT results that will have a huge role in where/if I get accepted, I've just got to say that I'm really hoping to be posting in this thread or its successor later this November after I get a pre-match offer from the school.

:love:

Having submitted my TAMHSC secondary, and waiting on my May MCAT results that will have a huge role in where/if I get accepted, I've just got to say that I'm really hoping to be posting in this thread or its successor later this November after I get a pre-match offer from the school.

:love:

We hope you do too. Apply early. Good luck. Apply early.

Did I mention, apply early?

Which insurance plan are you guys going with, the A&M plan or the S&W plan? I thought I saw somewhere on SDN that the S&W plan is better, but now I can't find it. Also, is that Leadership in Medicine program worth going to?

Members don't see this ad :)
We hope you do too. Apply early. Good luck. Apply early.

Did I mention, apply early?

Yes, you did! As soon as those MCAT scores come out next week, I'm releasing them. TMDSAS updates on Wednesdays, I think, so TAMHSC will have them shortly thereafter.

Here's to hoping for a decent score - and a generous PS section adjustment.

Also, is that Leadership in Medicine program worth going to?

Everyone I know who's done a ropes course/leadership thing in relation to med school orientation has told me it was one of the best parts of orientation.

That being said, I'm not going due to a family conflict!:rolleyes:

I'm either wimping out on the ropes course or roping out on the wimps' course, depending on how you look at it!!;)

Everyone I know who's done a ropes course/leadership thing in relation to med school orientation has told me it was one of the best parts of orientation.

That being said, I'm not going due to a family conflict!:rolleyes:

I'm either wimping out on the ropes course or roping out on the wimps' course, depending on how you look at it!!;)

What is this "ropes course" you speak of?? :confused:

Which insurance plan are you guys going with, the A&M plan or the S&W plan? I thought I saw somewhere on SDN that the S&W plan is better, but now I can't find it. Also, is that Leadership in Medicine program worth going to?

I hear A&M's is terrible...pretty much have to pay for everything out of pocket and then they reimburse you.

I think I am going to go with Bluecross Blueshield because it is a bit cheaper for my wife and I.

That's what the Leadership in Medicine Program on Friday morning during orientation is.

Was this information in the 3rd packet? I think they mailed it to my old address...

Was this information in the 3rd packet? I think they mailed it to my old address...

yes, I got mine on Friday. No wonder you were confused! It has, among other things, the schedule for orientation.

Most of you who have selected Temple for all 4 years probably have housing, but if you don't, let me know. I have lived in Temple all my life, so I know the area pretty well.

UIN letters have started to arrive...I love seeing "Major: Medicine (MD)" on OASIS :D

Anybody here with any waitlist movement news.. i have yet to see anything lately...

Anybody here with any waitlist movement news.. i have yet to see anything lately...

based solely on movement in the facebook group, I think there have been a couple of people added to the class. One of my "friends" (no clue who they actually are) had just joined the UTSW class of 2012 group, and there were a couple (like 2) of new members to the A&M class of 2012 group.

Are any of you A&M undergrads having trouble setting up your e-mail? I try to sign in with my thing and it's telling me my password is wrong...:confused:

Are any of you A&M undergrads having trouble setting up your e-mail? I try to sign in with my thing and it's telling me my password is wrong...:confused:

It automatically resets within 6 months of graduation. You should be able to get it back once you are registered.

Speaking of email, how do we claim our tamhsc.edu email address?

Has everyone finished their mounds of paperwork yet? I just sent mine off.

Have you all gotten your finacial aid packets yet?

I got the award letter that you could annotate with your initials and had to send back to the fin. aid office. That's the most I've heard, and I got some letter that I have to go do loan counseling.

I just talked to financial aid and they said that they will be certifying loans some time this week and we should be able to choose a lender soon. I got the "loan counciling letter" but it was an online fafsa thing-a-ma-jig and it was really quick. It took 5 minutes and it is common sense.
About wait list movement...someone got in because he has been e-mailing me from out of the country about what is in the packets he hasn't seen. Poor guy. He is going to be swimming in paperwork when he gets back.
Some questions...anyone have a tablet yet? What did you get? How do you like it? I am shopping around. Also, anyone know about dissection kits? Can we buy those second hand?

Also, anyone know about dissection kits? Can we buy those second hand?

YES! You will hear about this the first week of school. The M2's sell them to you for half price. Spread the word.

Also, don't start buying books. You don't need most of them, so wait for advice during the first week or ask your M2 buddy. Some M2 buddies will even give you their books. I would post my own thoughts on your book list, but I didn't use them and would tell you none are necessary. I know a lot of you will say that you are a book person and would rather buy all of them, but most would agree most of that list is worthless and you will not need them. If you absolutely have to buy something now, start buying the BRS books.

I don't know about the rest of the first-years, but I am so excited to meet all of you! I'm really glad that our class size is so small and that the second years have been uber helpful in answering all of my millions of questions. I am on the count down and can't wait!

Another question: do we need stethoscopes (and/or diagnostic sets) early on? If so, I'd like to order it online, rather than have to buy it full price at orientation.

Another question: do we need stethoscopes (and/or diagnostic sets) early on? If so, I'd like to order it online, rather than have to buy it full price at orientation.

You won't need them until after xmas, but if you can get a good deal now then go for it. We have reps come in the fall who give us good deals, but its all new/fancy stuff you don't necessarily need. The one thing to spend money on is your stethescope. Unless you become a cardiologist you can use it the rest of your life.

oops, I already bought all the books :D oh well, ill think of them as 1st year souvenirs; although, I wish I shouldve bought the pocket version of the diagnostic and physical exam book (my mom carried hers throughout her first year internship, hehe).

To the tablet question, I bought the HP tx2000z, which is now the old version (they released the tx2500z, a week later, but i dont think there's much of a difference) for $900 with all the accessories and free printer, Vista, I LOVE IT so far.

Where is everybody on this thread??? Anyone getting anxious??

Where is everybody on this thread??? Anyone getting anxious??

Despite Mullie telling me not to get nervous about biochem, I still am. I'm also a little concerned regarding the volume of material in the 1st semester.

Despite Mullie telling me not to get nervous about biochem, I still am. I'm also a little concerned regarding the volume of material in the 1st semester.

What's this? PEOPLE NERVOUS ABOUT STARTING MEDICAL SCHOOL?!?!?!?!?!

In all seriousness:
Plenty of students in my class including myself, and thousands more all across the country were having the same feelings last year. We all passed. All of you will too. If you are willing to work hard and stick with it you'll be fine. I'm not promising you're going to be #1 in the class, or that it's going to be easy, but you're going to do well.

lol

Last edited:
:scared:i feel you aggiesean, im already a quarter through Lippincott's Biochem

See, I'm not even gonna try. The sum of my today (and for the next week and a half) was getting up, eating breakfast, playing GTA while listening to talk radio (yeah I know I'm nerdy), eating dinner, running, and now bed. That is all I plan on doing so I can come to school completely fresh.

I'm Jealous of you both! I'm still working both jobs. I'll be moving next week and hopefully I can squeeze a day in for relaxation, but if not oh well I guess we'll all hit the ground running one way or another! azntxn....are you at CS or Temple?

I'm Jealous of you both! I'm still working both jobs. I'll be moving next week and hopefully I can squeeze a day in for relaxation, but if not oh well I guess we'll all hit the ground running one way or another! azntxn....are you at CS or Temple?

Crazy man!