Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MullieWins

perfunctory prescription
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know many have been accepted and I'm willing to answer any questions you have about the school. I can also help with deciding between schools and why I chose A&M over others. There are some huge misperceptions about A&M on SDN, so hopefully I can clear those up.

Congrats to those who have been accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

I have one! I keep hearing that the classes in Temple (for the first two years) are still really unorganized. Is that true? (I'd want to spend all of the 4 years in Temple because I'm doing my undergrad in College Station and don't think I can spend another two years here.)

I interviewed back in september and am really hoping I get an acceptance. I was wondering if you knew anything about how the send out early acceptances? For instance, do they send them once a month till Dec 31st? Or do they send them out on a case by case basis?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed back in september and am really hoping I get an acceptance. I was wondering if you knew anything about how the send out early acceptances? For instance, do they send them once a month till Dec 31st? Or do they send them out on a case by case basis?

I go to A&M right now (for my undergrad) and I talked to the people at the office (including Filo) and they said that they are doing rolling admissions but don't really know WHEN they're sending out more. I get the vibe they haven't set any kind of schedule. Last year, they had 3 mailings but they're doing it differently this year.

I have one! I keep hearing that the classes in Temple (for the first two years) are still really unorganized. Is that true? (I'd want to spend all of the 4 years in Temple because I'm doing my undergrad in College Station and don't think I can spend another two years here.)

Unorganized is the wrong word for it. It might seem that way because most of the technical glitches at the beginning of school, but this is a brand new thing and it could have gone much, much worse. By next year everything should be cleared up, but realize you are choosing distance learning by choosing Temple. It's important to note that the students in Temple do not feel the distance education is hurting their learning experience.

As far as wanting to leave CS for Temple, it's not any better than CS as far as living goes. If you are a social person, CS is the place to be because of the larger class. If you have a family/significant other, Temple might be a better decision. The Temple students are a self-selected group and I'm sure they love it there, but I can promise you there is not a single person in CS who would rather be in Temple.

They sent out 246 acceptances on the 15th. Filo said about 150 more will be given out by the time it's said and done. There are only 4 interview days left (including the 15th), so all of the remaining spots are not just for them. Last year offers went out every 2 weeks (11/15,11/30,12/15). Match will likely be uneventful (like last year), but the good news is waitlist movement is when most people get in. Waitlist acceptances are case by case and several of my classmates got the email in March, April, and May. It should make sense that a lot of people get multiple offers and most of those spots stay filled until the last possible moment. Stay patient and don't lose hope until the end of the spring.

First, thanks so much for answering these questions, it is really great of you. I was hoping you might help me with your reasons for choosing A & M over San Antonio. Both these schools seem like a great personality fit! It might help to get some specifics from someone who knows what they are talking about.

First, thanks so much for answering these questions, it is really great of you. I was hoping you might help me with your reasons for choosing A & M over San Antonio. Both these schools seem like a great personality fit! It might help to get some specifics from someone who knows what they are talking about.

I did not apply to UTSA because I did not take Biochemistry as an undergraduate, but I regret not having the opportunity to see the school.

However, two of my good friends who are classmates really struggled with the decision between UTSA and A&M, and this is after putting both ahead of UTH and UTMB. They both were deciding by which school they fit in best at, and simply didn't like the feel of the latter two. UTH and UTMB are fantastic schools, but how you fit in should be high on your priority list.

When they both made their decisions between A&M and UTSA it came down to two things. In the last couple years A&M has had a tendency for younger classes while UTSA has gone older. Both are recent college grads, so it made more sense socially to be around more people their own age. That being said, UTSA has many people who are old/married, young/single, or any combination but percentages seemed to lie as above. The other factor was Scott and White. I don't know much about UTSA's teaching hospital, but Scott and White is top 15 in the country and has an excellent physician:student ratio.

I have to say I'm impressed at your foresight by picking based on school personality because in the end the most important thing is your happiness. UTSA and A&M have very similar personalities, so I don't think you could go wrong. A&M is smaller, so it's more conducive to buliding relationships and knowing everyone, but I'm sure UTSA promotes the same thing. You will find that you will value these things more than anything else once you start school. If you have more specific questions I can run them by my classmates who were in your situation.

After a couple of acceptances I have easily decided on A&M as the right fit, so let's celebrate the Class of 2012!

First, a question for our generous M2-
I know College Station is cheap, but when's the best time to hunt for places? May-June when the undergrads are getting out? Or do most leases tend to be towards the middle of summer in a place where the university is the main attraction?

Lastly-
Any Austinites up for a BBQ? Or vicinity, I've got air mattresses.

After a couple of acceptances I have easily decided on A&M as the right fit, so let's celebrate the Class of 2012!

First, a question for our generous M2-
I know College Station is cheap, but when's the best time to hunt for places? May-June when the undergrads are getting out? Or do most leases tend to be towards the middle of summer in a place where the university is the main attraction?

Lastly-
Any Austinites up for a BBQ? Or vicinity, I've got air mattresses.

The best time is the first couple weeks of April. Most apartment complexes have great deals at the same time as Parent's Weekend for the University. I believe this is the second weekend of April. My suggestion would be to find something as early as possible to get the best deal. You can start your lease whenever, but it's when you sign that will save you money.

In March you will get a packet with lots of information, including apartment recommendations from our class. We will give you a list of every apartment with prices, ratings, and any other details you might need. You will also have a chance to find a roommate within your class if you want.

Congrats on your decision and let me know if you have any other questions!

As of now, I will be a member of the class of 2012. I'm planning to set up shop in Temple, as my family is in San Antonio, and it's a bit closer.

My question is...what should I ask for for Christmas as an MS-0?? What are some things my family can buy me now that I'd otherwise have to buy for myself in August?

Does anyone know if any offers were sent out yesterday?

Congrats to those who've been accepted!

As of now, I will be a member of the class of 2012. I'm planning to set up shop in Temple, as my family is in San Antonio, and it's a bit closer.

My question is...what should I ask for for Christmas as an MS-0?? What are some things my family can buy me now that I'd otherwise have to buy for myself in August?

Tablet PCs are required for students, so it might be a good idea to get that early so you are not taking out loan money for it. The school will offer good discounts this summer, but if it can be a gift earlier it's not a bad idea. Email the school and they can send you the required specifications, as well as recommendations for what type to get.

The only other thing that gets expensive is diagnostic equipment. You could look into getting a good stethescope (Littman Cardiology III is what I have) because they are ~$150.

Don't worry about books. You won't need half of them, and the ones you need you won't use because of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
my question is that i had an interview Oct. 25th but did not recieve an acceptance letter yet... i was wondering maybe they had not gotten to send out acceptance letters for the oct. 25th date .. thinking that they send out letters according to date interviewd.. so is that true.. or have ppl heard back from am if they interviewd after oct. 25th...

also.. is there anything you can suggest i should do.. maybe send a LOI or thank you card to filo ... any suggestions that might help to get some sort of update or acceptance..

Thanks

my question is that i had an interview Oct. 25th but did not recieve an acceptance letter yet... i was wondering maybe they had not gotten to send out acceptance letters for the oct. 25th date .. thinking that they send out letters according to date interviewd.. so is that true.. or have ppl heard back from am if they interviewd after oct. 25th...

also.. is there anything you can suggest i should do.. maybe send a LOI or thank you card to filo ... any suggestions that might help to get some sort of update or acceptance..

Thanks

All I know is 246 acceptances were sent out. My guess would be this includes all interviews before November 15th because they meet the next day for decisions. If you did not receive an acceptance, this does not mean you have been rejected. My guess is there will be at least one more batch before the 31st to include pre and post Nov15th applicants.

LOI's are a good idea, but wait until it will be most effective. They are extremely busy right now with applications about to be interviewed and reviewing recent interviewees, so wait until after match to send a letter. Like I said before, a decision has not been made on most people, so wait until the appropriate time (post-match) to feel like you have not been accepted. The only reason I would send an update is if something extremely significant has happened since your interview (i.e. publication, inducted to PBK, etc.),

And by the way, PBK is the only honor society taken seriously by any medical school. Don't even put the others on your application. There are other threads about this pon SDN.

Is anybody else going to do that rounds thing in temple?

Is anybody else going to do that rounds thing in temple?

I have my postcard filled out, but haven't put the stamp on it just yet. I'm still desperately hoping for a San Antonio acceptance, but am likely to go at this point. It could definitely be worth my while.

All I know is 246 acceptances were sent out. My guess would be this includes all interviews before November 15th because they meet the next day for decisions. If you did not receive an acceptance, this does not mean you have been rejected. My guess is there will be at least one more batch before the 31st to include pre and post Nov15th applicants.

LOI's are a good idea, but wait until it will be most effective. They are extremely busy right now with applications about to be interviewed and reviewing recent interviewees, so wait until after match to send a letter. Like I said before, a decision has not been made on most people, so wait until the appropriate time (post-match) to feel like you have not been accepted. The only reason I would send an update is if something extremely significant has happened since your interview (i.e. publication, inducted to PBK, etc.),

And by the way, PBK is the only honor society taken seriously by any medical school. Don't even put the others on your application. There are other threads about this pon SDN.

Thank you very much for your answer and reply.

what about a thank you card, would you recommend to send those now or should i wait before i send those off after the match date?

I have my postcard filled out, but haven't put the stamp on it just yet. I'm still desperately hoping for a San Antonio acceptance, but am likely to go at this point. It could definitely be worth my while.

This experience solidified many of my classmates decisions. It's worth going to.

Thank you very much for your answer and reply.

what about a thank you card, would you recommend to send those now or should i wait before i send those off after the match date?

Go ahead and send the thank you notes.

Go ahead and send the thank you notes.

I was just going to send filo a thank you note cuz frankly the interviewers aren't going to go back on there decision.. not that i think filo would either .. but its a good idea to give filo a heads up.. :)

Anyone know how many total interviewees there will be once the season ends? For those who have already interviewed, how many people were in your group? In previous years, there have been about 750 interviewed. With info from earlier in this thread, 246 acceptances have been mailed out and 150 more are to be expected. This works out to be about a 50% acceptance rate for those interviewed, which is pretty nice.

Anyone know how many total interviewees there will be once the season ends? For those who have already interviewed, how many people were in your group? In previous years, there have been about 750 interviewed. With info from earlier in this thread, 246 acceptances have been mailed out and 150 more are to be expected. This works out to be about a 50% acceptance rate for those interviewed, which is pretty nice.

The goal was 1000 this year, but I think they will end up a little short. They started interviews earlier this year to do more. With a bigger class size they want to have a larger selection.

Hi, has anyone recieved a acceptance letter today from am... i heard on a different post they were going to send out some today...

Hi, has anyone recieved a acceptance letter today from am... i heard on a different post they were going to send out some today...

Not today, but my guess is within the week...friday?

Not today, but my guess is within the week...friday?

Thanks again ... we will wait n see.. i really hope every1 that wants to get accepted at A&M gets accepted ... including me .:)

Anything for anyone today?

To throw a wrench in popular logic, I was not included in the first round of acceptances, and I interviewed on August 16th. I received the e-mail from Filo about 45 minutes ago. This process is so ridiculously random.

To throw a wrench in popular logic, I was not included in the first round of acceptances, and I interviewed on August 16th. I received the e-mail from Filo about 45 minutes ago. This process is so ridiculously random.

I think mentioned before that everyone is still under consideration...this proves it.

Also, I heard the acceptances are leaking out again as of this morning. It looks like somebody on here got one. Congrats!

Will there be more pre-matches from A&M? Does anyone know? Last time I talked to Shandala she said there'll be one more batch of pre-matches before Dec 31st, so does that mean one batch in one day? Gosh I'm soooo losing hope:(

Congrats again Sean:) you really deserved it with your wonderful stats. I'm very happy for you:hardy:

Will there be more pre-matches from A&M? Does anyone know? Last time I talked to Shandala she said there'll be one more batch of pre-matches before Dec 31st, so does that mean one batch in one day? Gosh I'm soooo losing hope:(

Congrats again Sean:) you really deserved it with your wonderful stats. I'm very happy for you:hardy:

Yes because there is still one interview session left. Today didn't sound like a batch, but more like a trickle. Remember you don't need all 100 acceptances left from A&M, just 1 of them. My advice is to not start worrying until March 31st. Then you can lose hope...

but seriously, only then should you really start planning ahead for the next interview season.:luck:

Yes because there is still one interview session left. Today didn't sound like a batch, but more like a trickle. Remember you don't need all 100 acceptances left from A&M, just 1 of them. My advice is to not start worrying until March 31st. Then you can lose hope...

but seriously, only then should you really start planning ahead for the next interview season.:luck:

Thanks MullieWins. Always here to calm me down :)

I'm a little too impatient also because my father is ill (don't know when the unthinkable can happen) and it'll make him so happy if he knows I'm in before... you know.

I have a question about the A&M anatomy lab. I am under the impression that you are put into groups of 4 were 2 members go to class and disect and teach the other two members and they take the tests (the ones who were not disecting). Is that really how it works?

I have a question about the A&M anatomy lab. I am under the impression that you are put into groups of 4 were 2 members go to class and disect and teach the other two members and they take the tests (the ones who were not disecting). Is that really how it works?

We are put into groups of 6 and 4 go each time, so everyone goes twice a week (lab is M, W, F). Some people think this is a bad things because "it takes away from your learning experience", but the truth is you would rather be doing anything else than digging through fat for 3 hours. If everything is done for you the lab can be learned in 15 minutes. This also really helps your partners because they have to know it well enough to teach. The 2 people who are taught then take a quiz the next class and everyone in your group receives the same grade. Over the semester there are about 20 quizzes for 5% of your grade. They are usually easy, but my advice would be to get in a group of people you trust, or at the very least know. As far as I know only one group had problems with their dynamic, but it was quickly worked out. Hope this helps.

Mullie, you have been so helpful with all this stuff, here and in the Texas thread. Seriously, thanks for getting on here to answer all of our questions.
I'm starting to feel the A&M love on my match list. :)

Mullie, you have been so helpful with all this stuff, here and in the Texas thread. Seriously, thanks for getting on here to answer all of our questions.
I'm starting to feel the A&M love on my match list. :)

Not a problem. Like I've mentioned before, I have a lot of pride in my school and want to see correct information spread.

Also, I thought I would repost some comments I made on a different thread about A&M. Maybe this will answer some questions or even inspire new ones.

For starters, excellent post by cpa2md about A&M. I agree 100%.

This will be a long post, but like I've said in other posts and to the many who PM me about A&M, it's important to me that complete/correct info is spread about A&M on SDN. I know of only one other A&M student who even looks at SDN, so hopefully my perspective is of use. I'm more than happy to get answers from classmates if I don't know how to respond.

Curriculum/Approach

We start with Biochemistry and Gross Anatomy/Embryology at the same time. Both are finished (including board exams) before Thanksgiving. We do not techinically have PBL, but are given cases in anatomy for each system to learn about and know for the test. I personally feel like PBL would be a waste of time, but that's for a different thread. We have about 2-3 hours of total lecture time every day not including lab, which is twice a week on a rotating schedule. Gross Anatomy lecture is the only semi-required lecture in your first two years because there are daily quizzes. This is okay with everyone in our class...we like anatomy. Organ Systems (Physiology/Histology) runs from Thanksgiving to Spring Break. There are 3 hours of lecture per day with short lab sessions once or twice a week. I should note at this time that tests are about once every two weeks for classes. This means that you have a test just about every week in the fall of your first year because you are taking two classes, but for the rest of basic sciences it is one class at a time and a test/two weeks schedule. Neuroscience(anatomy,physiology,histology) runs from Spring Break until the end of school. During the second year there are systems based blocks throughout the year that cover pathology, pharmacology, immunology, and microbiology. All during the first 2 years there is a weekly humanities course and Becoming a Clinician course (discussed later).

Resources

In addition to a full medical sciences library, we have a learning resources center (on both campuses) that have multiple copies of all required/recommended books, computers, or anything you might need to study. All of our lectures are recorded and can be watched live from a remote location or later (they are never deleted). All notes are given to us electronically (we are paperless) and are for the most part complete, so a note-taking service is not needed.

Clinical Exposure

In the first year there is no required clinical exposure, but in Temple (and beginning next year in CS) students are allowed to do weekly rounds with internal medicine physicians to see live cases of diseases we have studied. There are currently 2 free clinics (1 in Temple, the other in CS) that students volunteer are encouraged to volunteer at, and another that will be student-run that opens in January. We also run free immunization clinics throughout Brazos Valley once a month. Like everywhere else, students learn to do an H&P during their first year and work with standardized patients. During the second year, 4-8 hours per week of 1 on 1 training with a local physician are part of the curriculum. Students do 4 week rotations on the primary care specialties and also have a number of electives for surgical/imed specialties. The rumor on SDN is a lack of early clinical opportunities at A&M, but as you can see this is not the case. It is true that as recent as 10 years ago the experiences were extremely limited, but this has changed in the past few years.

The opportunities during 3rd/4th year speak for themselves very well throughout the forums on SDN. Scott & White in Temple is a top 15 teaching hospital and the physician/student ratio is one of the best in the country. They recently opened the new wing and are about to go completely paperless. The rotations are just now being established in College Station, but the names/credentials of coordinators are very impressive. Clearly Temple is the place to be, but students will have the option of being wherever they want. In 2 years there will be another full rotation site in Round Rock, in addition to the pediatrics rotation in Corpus Christi, that will have state of the art facilities. Students receive free housing if they wish to do a rotation at another site. I could go on and on about S&W, but if you have specific questions send me a private message.

Facilities

I breifly mentioned some of the facilities above, so I will try to fill in the gaps. The College Station campus is not much to see, but the new site will open in 2 years with a connecting hospital. We have heard about the plans and it is very exciting. The Temple facilities for first and second years are brand new and very nice. The technology on both campus makes up for anything that looks outdated.

My hands are tired, but PM me with any other questions.

:thumbup: excellent post

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm also an MS I here. Congrats to everybody who got accepted, best of luck to those still waiting.

Everything the Mullster is feeding you guys is true, so I don't have much to add except for maybe some more common Questions I have answered from people interviewing:

Why did you choose this school?

I chose it for its emphasis on values. Filo and the rest of the staff really struck a cord with me on interview day. As an added bonus, my wife and I both like College Station. A lot of people also choose this school for Scott and White, or for the friendly atmosphere and small class size.

How much do you have to study?

Like anyone else will say, you should expect to study a decent amount in medical school. So far I've gotten by with a few hours a day with atleast one night off a week to spend with family and friends. I'll study more leading up to a test, but I've never had to stay up on coffee for 2 days straight or anything nuts. Some people do more some do less it varies as much as people's reasons for choosing the school.

What's it like living in College Station

Cheap cost of living and plenty to do. Me and my Sugar Mama live in a 2 year old townhome ten minutes from school for a very reasonable price. College Station has all the benefits of a suburban setting without a lot of the issues of a major city. We have a good mall (The GAP, JC Penney, American Eagle, Foley's, etc), 2 movie theaters, and just about every chain restaurant you can think of. It's a college town, so there's Aggie sporting events, clubs and bars, etc. For those of you in need of a 'higher culture' fix, Texas A&M brings in pretty amazing Fine Arts performances (http://opas.tamu.edu). Speaking of the University, we get full access to the Rec Center (really nice) and play in several intramural leagues.

How many attend the medical school who went to Texas A&M for undergrad?

I don't know exact percentages, but I would estimate about 1/3 of the entering class went here. The 2nd biggest chunk is definitely Texas, Baylor probably 3rd. Other schools represented include Texas Tech, the Air Force Academy, Prarie View, Rice, UH, Michigan, Yale......the list goes on.

I guess that's it for now, we've got a couple weeks off so I'll be lurking around. Feel free to PM if you have questions.

JMPeffer and I usually run the show for the interview student panel, so between us we can answer any questions you have! (It's good to see you back on here!)

Thanks for all your great info Mullie and Peffer!!

Will either of you two be in Temple on Wednesday for Round the Wards?

Thanks for all your great info Mullie and Peffer!!

Will either of you two be in Temple on Wednesday for Round the Wards?

We just started our winter break, so most M1/2's are gone. We are both in CS anyways. There should still be plenty of M3/4's around to answer your questions there. Have fun at Round the Wards, it's a great experience!

Mullie, any news on how many more prematches were made when the committee met on Friday? So nervous!!

I won't be at the Round the Wards event, and I haven't heard anything on what the Admissions Committee did Friday................but I did save a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico!!

:laugh:

I got the acceptance packet today! :)

I'm FedEx-ing my response to ensure its safe arrival to College Station. Anyone who has lived in CS knows how crappy the mail delivery there can be.

I talked with a buddy of mine who is a first year MD/PhD at A&M today. After the conversation I felt a lot more excited about possibly choosing A&M. I want to see if anything else unfolds, but I told him there's a very real possibility that I'll rank A&M first going into the match.

anyone heard of acceptances going out recently... xmas is coming... i just hope i hear from am b4 xmas.. or iuno what ima do this xmas break.. :(

anyone heard of acceptances going out recently... xmas is coming... i just hope i hear from am b4 xmas.. or iuno what ima do this xmas break.. :(

There should be more this week, but I'm not in CS to ask. And it might not be enough to see anyone on SDN. We will see.

I got the acceptance packet today! :)

I'm FedEx-ing my response to ensure its safe arrival to College Station. Anyone who has lived in CS knows how crappy the mail delivery there can be.

I talked with a buddy of mine who is a first year MD/PhD at A&M today. After the conversation I felt a lot more excited about possibly choosing A&M. I want to see if anything else unfolds, but I told him there's a very real possibility that I'll rank A&M first going into the match.

oh no Sean, you don't want A&M. You want UTSW or UTH or something else because I want your A&M spot :D So look at the pendulum and repeat after me " I don't want A&M, I don't want A&M....."